Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:D I'm posting this is a find since I know where it's hidden.  Very cool area, be ready to hike a bit tho!

- Neil ( - Robin)

Now don't that beat all. Man, I can really rack up finds this way. I have a good idea where most of the caches around here are hidden.

With me, if the cache owner really had a problem, and said so, I would change my log to a note. He didn't say so though, so I choose not to worry about it.

There really aren't any hard and fast rules. Also, there aren't any prizes. sooooo it really doesn't matter that much. Ya know?

With me, if the cache owner really had a problem, and said so, I would change my log to a note. He didn't say so though, so I choose not to worry about it.

You have a pretty good case for a find. I can't see many people here giving you a hard time. Now some of the other ones in this thread....sheesh!!

You have a pretty good case for a find. I can't see many people here giving you a hard time. Now some of the other ones in this thread....sheesh!!

hehehe, thanks. I think so too. But it seems it can get really heated around here sometimes. :D

edited to remove double quote...sheesh.

Edited by norbu

How would you feel about someone who works as a team (the cache names bears both their names but officailly is logged under one counterpart) but has separate geo accounts, but when their counterpart puts a cache out they went with them and they knew where it was....then they log it as a find even though they didn't find it as they were the ones to help put it out? Each person in this counterpart does this to others caches that they put out. So far they have logged around 20 this way. We've sorta approached them in our post when we found it but deleted the comment though it had already been sent by email confirmation. They replied to us defending their tactics but it does not seem ethical to us. What do you think?

While I don't agree with those tactics when they're used to increase the "find" count, I can certainly understand wanting to get some caches off your "nearest unfound cache pages".

When my wife places a cache, I add it to my watchlist, but I'd also like to add it to an "ignore" list (a suggestion that gets brought up now and again every).

While I don't agree with those tactics when they're used to increase the "find" count, I can certainly understand wanting to get some caches off your "nearest unfound cache pages".

When my wife places a cache, I add it to my watchlist, but I'd also like to add it to an "ignore" list (a suggestion that gets brought up now and again every).

Yeah, but i don't think you should log it to try to get it off your un-found list. I mean, that seems like the smallest worry in the world. To me it just sounds like upping their count. It's hard because we are trying not to judge them as we don't even know them (new to the area) but it is frustrating knowing people do that. I mean, if I went with my brother (in Texas) while he hid it I wouldn't log it.

I'm not 100% sure if this was fair or not, so give me an opinion. My first and only real find (just started last week) is a cache that I saw being placed a year ago.

Although I knew the exact location of the cache I did not simply walk to it, I followed the directions and used the GPS as if I had no idea where it was.

I'll be placing my first cache this week. I figure it will be 4/2.

I actually think it will be even more fun to hide creative caches than to find them.

This is partly due to the fact that this is a big tourist area, but there are only a dozen or so caches within 50 miles.

I'm not 100% sure if this was fair or not, so give me an opinion.

Welcome to caching!

Well, this thread is mainly about people claiming finds when they didn't find the cache, which is not your situation.

You did find it, even though you had a good idea where to look. Since we're not competing for number of finds, I don't have any trouble with this find. (Especially since you revealed in your cache log why it was an easy find for you.)

Yea, give the Noob a find. At the very least you turned your GPSr on and provided anyone watching a moment or two of wonderment at what you were doing, right? Well, then--that's all the rest of us are doing--most times.

Congrats and welcome to the club! Now, go make more caches available in your area :grin:

I'm not 100% sure if this was fair or not, so give me an opinion. My first and only real find (just started last week) is a cache that I saw being placed a year ago.

Although I knew the exact location of the cache I did not simply walk to it, I followed the directions and used the GPS as if I had no idea where it was.

I'll be placing my first cache this week. I figure it will be 4/2.

I actually think it will be even more fun to hide creative caches than to find them.

This is partly due to the fact that this is a big tourist area, but there are only a dozen or so caches within 50 miles.

Well, everyone has to learn somehow, and that's a pretty good way to learn, so I think you earned that smiley on your list! :grin:

So from now on, just log the DNF and return later to clean it up. It's part of the fun!

Exactly!

There is a couple locally that sometimes cache independantly(separate accounts)of each other and log each others caches. They are both good cachers; log their DNF's, post humorous logs of their adventures, and are both quite adept at finding difficult caches hidden by other cachers. I don't see that it matters if they log each others caches anyway.

So from now on, just log the DNF and return later to clean it up. It's part of the fun!

Exactly!

There is a couple locally that sometimes cache independantly(separate accounts)of each other and log each others caches. They are both good cachers; log their DNF's, post humorous logs of their adventures, and are both quite adept at finding difficult caches hidden by other cachers. I don't see that it matters if they log each others caches anyway.

I wonder if they watch the other hide the caches or not? It woudl make a lot of sense for one partner tpo hide a cache and then the other partner try to find it as a "test run"

There is a married couple caching near my cabin- they seem to compete with each other- race to new caches - make comments about each other in thier logs-

They Hide independantly, as far as I can tell because if i remember right, ive seen dnf's on each others caches. Ive hunted caches hidden by both- they have always been good caches in great areas. Besides, they have hidden a majority of teh caches in the area, so they need to be seperate, in order for them to have something to find. I believe all of those to be legitamate finds-

I grow tired of the #'s logic tho- :huh:

Just had to respond to RWW and, hm... maybe Crim's (?) posts from a couple of days ago about not being able to open a cache but counting it as a find ANYWAY...

I was in this situation ONCE.

There was this peanut butter jar out on the beach. Now, this was not any ordinary peanut butter jar, because this one had stood the test of time. TWO years it sat on that spit with nary a maintenance visit from it's owner. When I found it that beautiful, clear late-December day, temps were dipping below freezing, the wind was non-existent and I could see the Olympics to the north and Mt. Rainier to the other north. Outstanding.

I'd walked about 2 miles to get to the cache (no State Park sticker at this point in my life). By myself. I was a little concerned about the 4 young men goofing around near me, but quickly got down to the business of locating the beast and signing the log so I could get out of there before darkness fell and I was the only one out... except for the four men.

Cache found easily (amazing how obvious they are when they're just sitting on top of the sand, you know.) I took it over to a large piece of drift wood for the unveiling. The top would NOT budge. I pried and turned and twisted with all my somewhat arthritic might and could NOT get this thing to open.

Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like 2 years worth of sand and grit in the threads of a peanut butter jar to make a peanut butter lid stay on tight.

I was frustrated. I almost cried. (But staved off the urge because, well, my tears would have frozen right there on my face. And there was no one there to see it. What would have been the point?!)

I started to memorize the bits and pieces of log book that I could read through the jar. I could see Totem Lake's calling card with the date he'd visited. I could read the logs of a few other visitors. I could see the sludge at the bottom of the container and the mold growing on the trinks and log pages. It was pulling a close second to another container I'd found earlier in the year on the 'gross scale'.

About to toss in the towel after sitting on that dam* log for a half hour and all for naught and begin my 2 mile hike back to the car in the dwindling daylight and dropping temps, I gave the lid one more try. I set it at an angle in the sand and leaned it up against another piece of driftwood. Bracing the other side with one waterproof-booted foot I twisted... and twisted again.

Nothing.

For my last ditch effort, I went down on my knees and braced it against the driftwood with my entire leg and in a rather monumental effort and a good ol' heave & ho' (not GeoHo, mind you) I heard a little scritch.

I could hear the Hallelujah Chorus playing in the background.

Logged the cache, found a new, and very nearby hiding place. Walked back to the car, and met the boys about halfway there...

But, back to the point of the story:

I would have absolutely logged this one as a find had I not been able to get the jar open.

A couple months later I did adopt this particular cache and went back out on a much worse day (cloudy, no mountains to view and a nasty, nasty wind off the ocean) and replaced the JAR with an ammo can. No more opening woes for the next finders.

How would you feel about someone who works as a team (the cache names bears both their names but officailly is logged under one counterpart) but has separate geo accounts, but when their counterpart puts a cache out they went with them and they knew where it was....then they log it as a find even though they didn't find it as they were the ones to help put it out? Each person in this counterpart does this to others caches that they put out. So far they have logged around 20 this way. We've sorta approached them in our post when we found it but deleted the comment though it had already been sent by email confirmation. They replied to us defending their tactics but it does not seem ethical to us. What do you think?

The first case sounds really cheesy to me. I don't see the point of logging "finds" on caches that you helped hide other than to up your find counts. I don't see anything wrong with the second case as long as they aren't inolved with each other's hides. My wife and I have our own accounts and do something similar. Some caches we hide together and some I hide by myself (all hides go under my own account). My wife has finds on the latter, because she wasn't involved with hiding them. If I go back for a maint trip and she is with me, she plugs in the coords and I follow her to my cache. She does a legit search and logs the find. If it was a cache we hid together, she would never dream of logging the find.

I had to laugh loudly when I found this post. I have recently found the 'locationless' cache page (courtesy of Buxley) and was scanning a few of those and discovered that many many many people ignore the requirements of posting one of those, but still log a find. I guess each and every one must play their own game. This reminds of when I was doing a LOT of birding and met a LOT of people who were into listing, which in my opinion is counting even if someone else identifies for you, counting without enjoying the spot, counting without learning song, counting without learning the bird's niche, etc. A good friend of mine said that people like that might as well be collecting hubcaps for all they are getting out and contributing to the activity. Now I bird only for myself. Probably the reason I still like Geocaching is cause I don't have to deal with obnoxious folk face to face.

I have a cache called "A Hair Raising Experience"

It's a super spooky nightime cache, and the cache container is a mannequin head with the back hollowed out and covered by a wig.

A log entry talked about how the cachers even found the head and handled it, but they couldn't find the cache. They went ahead and logged the find.(We later sorted it out by email) B)

Man, So close.... Even if I were inclined to monitor someone else's cache count, I don't think I would have quibbled about that one. Still, it meets the criteria of this topic.

I wonder if they watch the other hide the caches or not? It woudl make a lot of sense for one partner tpo hide a cache and then the other partner try to find it as a "test run"

That's how my wife and I handle it (the test run, not the watch each other hide the cache).

We often go out independently and hide caches, but sometimes we hike into the area together, then the cache owner goes on ahead and places the container while the other one hangs out well back out of sight.

On the first few we went ahead and signed the log after finding it, but these days we don't do so until a return visit. I finally 'found' one Peggy hid last Fall while I hung out at the waterfall a couple tenths of a mile away. I found it on the test run but didn't sign the logbook. Peggy's even gone so far as to solve one of my puzzle caches I hid when she was at work, find the container, and not sign the logbook until a couple of other folks logged finds, just to avoid questions about propriety.

I got a chuckle from this log for an event being held on April 25:

:P April 27 by xxxx (1 found)

Hi. I went to [the resturant] on April 23rd and found the [the resturant] with my GPS. I had a coke and asked the wait staff if the cache event was still scheduled for Sunday. Sorry that I couldn't come on Sunday--sounds like it was great fun.

May 29 by x (7 found)

We went to the spot and looked all around, but couldn't find it. We were with Y. We used the clue and found a spot where we thought it should be, but nothing was there. Either we missed it or it has been removed. We are new to this (second day), so we could have missed it. We may try again later this week.

Well, they are new.

My wife and I just completed a particularly difficult, but fun, find last night. It was a micro made up from a mini Altoids strip tin, covered with camo-tape, hidden rather deviously (fishing line was involved) in a wooded area with spotty satellite coverage. In retrospect, searching right at sundown was not the greatest decision.

All in all though, this was a very satisfying cache find given it's difficulty. But I'll have to go back some time and sign the log before I post this one as a 'find'. Because, somehow... with the experience of nearly 100 finds so far... I forgot to bring a pen or pencil to sign the log! Arrrrrggghhhhh!!!

Sure, racking up a find count is fun... but we each have our parameters.

Happy Hunting!

Just noticed this one. What makes it all the more brazen is that the log came a month after the owner archived the cache because it was missing:

:huh:  June 6 by xxxxxx (632 found)

Found the location and the bar. Franks friend told me that the cache is stolen. I left my sticker of Landmaus GC-Team at the surfboard over the bar. Maybe the owner can change the log modalities. A log with a picture of your GPS and my sticker could be a good solution.

Wow...some..ok ALL of these amaze me!...I am what you guys would call a newbie...I have 1 virtual and 3 no GPS finds...and even I know the basics of logging a find!...if I don't find it the first time I go out...I don't log anything...I will either go out the next day or as soon as I can...if I can't find it after my second try I'll log a did not find (luckily that hasn't happened yet!)...

Some pretty amusing quotes in here though! :huh:

-SixTen

Hi I was able to locate this cache with the help of EXXXXXXXX53. We are in a UPOC Chatroom via mobile phone =TEXT MESSAGING= and he was not aware of Geocaching but had a GPS unit available to him. I am in xxxx xxxxxxand he is in xx. I gave him Coordinates via UPOC Chatroom =TEXT MESSAGING= and he was able to locate your Geocache and Reestablish Log Book and Watertight Container and Contents. It was a Remote Find for me and have decided to go ahead and log this as a find for myself also since i provided all the information and hints and picture descriptions during the Trek Live via TEXT MESSAGING. I may use this method again with other Geocaches. Thanks for a New Experience it was Fun and a Wonderfull Cache Find. xxxxxx xxxxxzip code xxxxx

Figure that one out. :tongue: He logged it as a remote find. The person who he says actually found it has never logged his find.

Hi I was able to locate this cache with the help of EXXXXXXXX53. We are in a UPOC Chatroom via mobile phone =TEXT MESSAGING= and he was not aware of Geocaching but had a GPS unit available to him. I am in xxxx xxxxxxand he is in xx. I gave him Coordinates via UPOC Chatroom =TEXT MESSAGING= and he was able to locate your Geocache and Reestablish Log Book and Watertight Container and Contents. It was a Remote Find for me and have decided to go ahead and log this as a find for myself also since i provided all the information and hints and picture descriptions during the Trek Live via TEXT MESSAGING. I may use this method again with other Geocaches. Thanks for a New Experience it was Fun and a Wonderfull Cache Find. xxxxxx xxxxxzip code xxxxx

Figure that one out. :tongue: He logged it as a remote find. The person who he says actually found it has never logged his find.

So, then, by that logic, since he provided the coords, hints, pics, etc., then Jeremy is truly at the top of the charts with what, 100,000 cache finds?

I just went caching today and found my first cache on my list. (I had 3 picked out today) I had been to that cache last year and had my little one with me and didn't find it, of course a whiney kid will sort of cut your seeking short. I never logged it as a dnf because I vowed I'd be back and I was really new. So FINALLY today I got a chance to get back and found it with no problem. (No little kid either, just my teenager who's got a nose for this) Woohoo got to log it as a find. That's a good thing in my book, makes me feel good about myself.

Then on to the second cache. We got within 40 or so feet of it but were running away because in my haste to leave to get to these caches I sort of forgot my bug spray. I'm not going to log this as a dnf because I'm going back to that dadgum spot covered in deet with my clothes washed in deet LOL. I didn't get close enough to really search because we were getting light headed from the blood loss and the mosquitos were getting really fat and happy. Besides sometimes when you go back to a cache you get to start with a fresh perspective. I'll make sure to make a note that I'd been there before but was turned away. I think that's only fair.

I have, by the way, logged dnf's before but I really had searched for the cache too. And now that I'm not such a newbie, I'm really get the hang of this. Also it pays to take the 14 yo teenager (read cache blood-hound!!) with me. She's got a knack for it. 'Course it could be that she's a teenager and does the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I tell her, so if I think oh the cache is that way she's usually looking in the opposite direction and finds the dang thing! :unsure:

My personal opinion is if I searched and searched and didn't find it I'll log it as a dnf. If I didn't search that hard or had to turn back then no log, and be stubborn and keep looking til I do find it. That way I get a smiley which to me is like a GOLD STAR. :tongue: LOL

Lisa V, EMT

Emergency Medical Services: We don't save your life, we just prolong your miserable existance!

Edited by lisavemt
A cache went missing near where I used to work. The owner went by to check it and reported it missing with a smiley.

It was part of a poker theme where you're supposed to find 6 caches around town and collect 5 cards plus a bonus.

The next day, after the owner confirmed the cache was missing, this person obviously was cheating when he logged that he'd found all 6. I was a little tempted to go to some of the other 6 and see if he actually signed the log.

:lol:  July 8, 2003 by xxxxxxx (220 found)

did all 6 yesterday after work.

thanks for the hunt!

At the end of May I had to log on of my own caches as a no find. given i went out without a gps to find the cache. it was significantly different greenery from when I placed the cache in January. Did I question the next finders log? nope. I'm sure it's there I just can't figure out how i would miss the tree i hid it in.

:)

Well, if the cache went awol (a 1/1) and you were there, looked everywhere, and the owner gave you permission to log as find, is that OK?

There were very, very limited places to put this micro - and I know right were it would have been. It has been archived after i logged it as a DNF (appropriate). A few weeks later, the owner confirmed its missing status, and gave permission to us two DNFinders to log as finds.

:)

Well, if the cache went awol (a 1/1) and you were there, looked everywhere, and the owner gave you permission to log as find, is that OK?

There were very, very limited places to put this micro - and I know right were it would have been. It has been archived after i logged it as a DNF (appropriate). A few weeks later, the owner confirmed its missing status, and gave permission to us two DNFinders to log as finds.

now in retro, maybe i should have been the better cacher, and not have logged it as find at all. I, as a newbie, just trusted the owner's judgement to go ahead and do so, since I was at the precise location, and looked at the empty hole for a missing cache. It doesnt sound too promising that the cache will return (i think it has been lifted before), but if it does return, so will I, and will I definitely log as a NOTE, not a find.

Figure that one out. :) He logged it as a remote find. The person who he says actually found it has never logged his find.

This must be one of those "Team XXX" cachers, and the onsite person is just part of the "Team".

:blink: If you didn't actually find, hold, and open the cache, you shouldn't mark it as a find. If you didn't sign the log book, i think anyway, you can't prove you found it. Play by the rules and go back and sign that logbook. I know it happens 'cause I've done it twice.

:( I don't play this as a numbers game. Great for the folks with over 100, 500, 1000 cache finds. I have never had a hobby this great! This is that little piece of adventure so many of us are missing in our lives. For just a few hours or minutes we get to do something that roughly 90% of the population of the planet doesn't even know about. (OK I know 90% isn't quite the number but you get the idea.)

:( I still consider myself a rookie at caching. I've only been at it for a year. as a matter of fact I just logged my 24th find today. I don't cheat. I do whatever I have to to find a cache though. My first cache I didn't find and I emailed the owner explained that I didn't find a cache. I did find the spot though. The cache was archived the day I went looking. Four hours looking and checking clues. I left what I took to leave in the cache in the spot where the cache was supposed to be. The owner verified with me that I had found the right spot. Did I find it? No, I didn't. That has stuck in my mind since I've started this. The owner of the cache gave it to me and I logged it as a find. I was a newbie and wanted that first find so bad.

:laughing: Actually finding my first cache was one of the coolest things ever.Nixon's Stash Then it was on.

My wife and I went caching in the mountains of NC and found her first cache. She was so excited we just had to go for another. We went to Linville Falls. We didn't find the cache. As a matter of fact we fell into freexing cold water and had to hike, I think, two miles back up hill in soaking wet, heavy clothes. Went out and bought dry clothes and then made the two and a half hour drive home. Did we log it as a find? NOPE! Are we going back after it? Well, I am. She says she never wants to see Linville falls again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the folks that log DNF's as finds are just cheating themselves of a great experience. Thanks to all you guys who think up really creative caches. Not to knock a simple ammo box/jar/tupperware container in the woods either. They are just as fun to find.

Oh! Number twenty three was a 5/5 (Tube Torcher). That was an accomplishment that I just can't begin to describe, I am about ready to shed that self imposed newbie status.

X-Man :(

Just wanted to add this:

July 5 by xxxxxxx (1 found)

We found this cache today only because we have a house near the location and a neighbor told us about the cache. We didn't know anything about geocaching.com but are intrigued. We had fun reading the entries.

I had read a newspaper article about geocaching a long time ago before I had a GPS but had forgotten about it. Now I look forward to using our GPS to have fun geocaching!

This is from the 5/5 I mentioned before. Guys if you ran this cache you would write at least a paragraph on the log. We started this at about 9:00 in the morning and were all over this cache run going back and forth for clues we missed. I'm not saying this guy didn't find it but.....

X-Man

Edited by Clan X-Man
June 10 by xxx (105 found)

I believe i found the site, it was a perfect place for a cache but the cache was missing and the sticks that covered it were next to the spot. i am putting this as a find and will email you with pictures of the area and you can agree or not, let me know.. the emails will come a bit later tonight.

A month later, a cacher with 8 total finds correctly reported this as a DNF.

July 11 by xxx (7 found)

This was a really cool place I've got to come back with my bike. Looked in the spot we thought the cache would be hiding didn't find it. Then we looked around for another 30 minutes still didn't find anything. We ran in to the owner on the trail and he said he wasn't sure if it was still there. When we came back out he confirmed that we found the right spot, but there was no cache.

OK, he's a new cacher. But we're supposed to find the cache, not the spot where the cache once was.

We got within 40 or so feet of it but were running away because in my haste to leave to get to these caches I sort of forgot my bug spray. I'm not going to log this as a dnf because I'm going back to that dadgum spot

We must have been seeking the same cache! Been there, logged as DNF! ;)

May 2 by xxx (606 found)

I was there and saw where I believe the cache was, but there was so much activity there with the garage doors open and forklifts driving around. I was getting looks, so I just left without signing the log. I live 1.5 hours away and don't know when I'll be in Exton again. If this is a problem, I'll delete it.

May 2 by xxx (606 found)

I was there and saw where I believe the cache was, but there was so much activity there with the garage doors open and forklifts driving around. I was getting looks, so I just left without signing the log. I live 1.5 hours away and don't know when I'll be in Exton again. If this is a problem, I'll delete it.

Makes ya wonder how many of those 606 they claim to have found are real, huh?

Oh my :P I am guilty. I've done this a couple of times. Mostly when we knew for sure it wasn't there and missing and we replaced it. A couple of times when the owner said go ahead a log it. I've never logged when that I knew was there and didn't find it. I'll log those as no finds. Ok guess I'm changing my ways. You've convinced me. Unless I sign the paper it's a no find.

Oh my :P I am guilty. I've done this a couple of times. Mostly when we knew for sure it wasn't there and missing and we replaced it.

You replaced the cache when you didn't find the orginal?? How do you know for sure it isn't there?

What if you just missed it...now there are 2 caches at the location. Seems like the cache owner should be doin' the replacin'...

Ed

Oh my  I am guilty. I've done this a couple of times. Mostly when we knew for sure it wasn't there and missing and we replaced it. A couple of times when the owner said go ahead a log it. I've never logged when that I knew was there and didn't find it. I'll log those as no finds. Ok guess I'm changing my ways. You've convinced me. Unless I sign the paper it's a no find.

When you do that you risk creating two caches on the spot. Only replace a cache if you have permission form the owner and there is verification the old one is missing. There are too many times that people do this, not realizing that they simply overlooked the original cache.

"My first cache! I found it alright...but since I am not much of a climber (and my wife who is wasn't with me) I didn't write in the logs... :blink: But at least I took some pictures and got to use my new GPS unit! Maybe if it wasn't quite so high in the tree... :D Still alot of fun though. Thanks for hiding it."

given it was his first find, but still. no climb no find.

*edit-spelling

Edited by fallenfaery
We are sure this was the place since we took a look and only found what was holding the cache. Sorry to say.. this one was plundered
Find...nope.

I am confused. Container was still there but plundered. Did not seekers find it? I found a cache that was plundered. Container was in place but only held two things a note from plunderers stating that they had plundered the cache and took all the goodies, and a log book which was also signed by the plunderers. But beings no treasures were in it did that make it a no find? I signed the logged book and left some trade items and notified the owner who then archieved it and hid it elsewhere. I called it a find.

Next scenerio: was visiting another town looking for cache. Again another plunder situation. This time the container was missing. Log book I found lying on the ground and signed replaced as close as I could to where I thought it should be. Again notified the owner who then archieved cache. I found no container was that a find?

Which are we to have found, container or log book, treasures or or all three?

I am confused.  Container was still there but plundered.  Did not seekers find it?  I found a cache that was plundered.  Container was in place but only held two things a note from plunderers stating that they had plundered the cache and took all the goodies, and a log book which was also signed by the plunderers.  But beings no treasures were in it did that make it a no find?  I signed the logged book and left some trade items and notified the owner who then archieved it and hid it elsewhere.  I called it a find. 

Next scenerio:  was visiting another town looking for cache.  Again another plunder situation.  This time the container was missing.  Log book I found lying on the ground and signed replaced as close as I could to where I thought it should be.  Again notified the owner who then archieved cache.  I found no container was that a find?

Which are we to have found, container or log book, treasures or or all three?

First case is a find- as long as there is a log book it counts, swag is optional.

Second is a little hairier, my guess is as long as you are sure it is the original log book then it is a find. And then notify the owner about the missing container. If it is a local cacher some might grab the log to protect it from the elements and contact the owner to get it to them.

Edited by PSUPAUL
Second is a little hairier, my guess is as long as you are sure it is the original log book then it is a find. And then notify the owner about the missing container. If it is a local cacher some might grab the log to protect it from the elements and contact the owner to get it to them.

Yes, it was the original log book with previous signatures. We put it in a plastic bag and tied it to a tree to perserve it from the elements and notified the owner who since archieved it. To bad it was a nice piece of history.

So then is a container found with no log in it a no find. I have never came across this situation yet. Just curious. My guess would be a no find because you don't know you have the correct container. But if you knew and or contacted owner of cache and they assured you it was the container I would call it a find log book or no log book beings I had found the correct item that I was looking for. Any opinions on that?