Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

17 hours ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

image.png.a85a26ab1ae28e79d44aea6505c154ff.png

I don't blame new users for not understanding the game and the requirement to sign the log.  When somebody casually hears about geocaching, downloads the app, and navigates to a cache.  They are presented with 3 options.  "Found it", "Dot not find", "Write note".  The first option should read "Signed log" instead of "Found it".  I've had many friendly conversations with new users about this who have logged my caches and think spotting the cache = finding it.  Some are friendly, while others...
The app should do a better job explaining the game to new users with low find counts.    The fact that this thread exists (which is 82 pages long at posting) is evidence of that.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

image.png.a85a26ab1ae28e79d44aea6505c154ff.png

As it's their first find I would contact them and nicely explain that they should have signed the log, as that's part of the game.

However, if I were that beginner, I would have seen the log, realised what was required, and gone and got a pen and returned :rolleyes:. That idea is not exactly hard. I did take a pen with me though for my first find, as I carry a pen normally. Then I saw the log and it was obvious it was meant to be signed. I think some of these beginners have fairy floss for brains, but although I might think this, I would patiently remain :bad: polite and explain about pens to them :mmraspberry:.

Circled and circled for 20 minutes. Could not find it.

Great story  Helpful
No Finder 1

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png5383

Didn't find itDidn't find it

04/14/2021

No find. No trackable either that a previous cacher said they left. There's nothing even close by like the description.
Gone. 7 DNF in a row for a 1.5/1.5 cache.
Needs to be archived if the CO does not correct.
 Great story  Helpful

No Finder 2

2.png200

Didn't find itDidn't find it04/14/2021

Found critters but no geocache TFTC

Great story  Helpful
No Finder 3

2.png3

04/09/2021

Left a trackable where it should be ?‍♂️

Great story  Helpful
BUT I'M OWED IT BECAUSE I LOOKED

Profile photo for tgmfgeo

2.png119

Found itFound it

04/09/2021

Found it but didn’t really find... it’s obviously not there because several people have marked DNF. If you looked you’ve earned a find in my book. TFTC

Great story  Helpful
No Finder 4

reg_user.gifMember

2.png138

04/08/2021

I can tell you where it isn't...lo

Great story  Helpful
No Finder 5

2.png37

03/20/2021

Didn't have long to search at a quick restarea stop and was unable to locate.

===========================================

Same But I'm owed a find ---

Profile photo for tgmfgeo

2.png119

Found itFound it04/08/2021

Ran past it. Construction, so it’s not there. Everyone else is marking as a find so TFTC.

Great story  Helpful
Edited by Wadcutter
  • Surprised 2

@Wadcutter  naming the trackable is the same as personally identifying a cacher. See Keystone's post above, "This thread is in danger of being closed if it strays from the boundaries of the opening post.  Special care should be taken to mask cache and account details sufficiently to prevent identification of specific geocachers."

The trackable  belongs to the person who left it  where they believe the cache used to be.  They logged a DNF.  Odd behaviour  but at worst, littering, not relevant to this thread

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
On 3/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, Keystone said:

This thread is in danger of being closed if it strays from the boundaries of the opening post.  Special care should be taken to mask cache and account details sufficiently to prevent identification of specific geocachers.

Due to repeated issues with this thread, and with the support of Geocaching HQ, I am locking the thread at this time.  No "replacement thread" should be started.  Posts which "call out" specific geocachers are not permitted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1