09/02/2020

It’s still busted needs maintenance

• Photo

C

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png886

Found itFound it

08/14/2020

It has been a couple of days since I last found a cache or even been on the site, so tonight I headed out with my mom who had some errands to run. It was great to go out for an evening walk and find some caches. I started here and arrived at GZ to find it smashed. I was at the right place based on previous logs, so I'm going to log a find as well. As mentioned before, this one needs some TLC. TFTH.

m

2.png42

Found itFound it

08/13/2020

Light cover broken. Cache gone 

L

reg_user.gifMember

2.png639

Found itFound it

07/26/2020

Found the lamp post in question, although the cover is now completely broken and there is no cache in sight. Logging this one as a find if CO permits, as we were on the exact spot. Cache will need to be replaced!

CO changed this missing cache to a virtual. I think someone had a whisper in his ear and it is now disabled.

2.png8040

Found itFound it

13/09/2020

A nightmare to get to the location with the one way system, covid19, and a very busy Sunday.
Very disappointed that when I finally got to GZ there was no label to be found. Photo attached to prove I was there.

Found It/Didn't Find It - confusion?

2.png18708

Found itFound it

24/11/2020

No luck today. Needs checked on.

Arrived at this one just a couple of minutes ahead of xxxxxxxx and yyy so I signed the log for all of us. Impromptu SLAGA meetings are always a treat! TFTC!

Find number 18708

They photographed the exact same thing I photographed for a DNF; the inside of an empty tap. It's guessing that was the hide. (Can't get rid of the bold)

Found itFound it

24/Nov/2020

This one is no longer, but convinced I found the spot. Contents of "container" in image. Nice pub nearby...

Didn't find itDidn't find it

21/Nov/2020

I might have interpreted the hint, ("It's not near the sign. turn it around and you will have it") incorrectly, but I thought I had 'tapped' it when I turned it around. But there was no log. DNF.

You don't even need a cache or log to log it seems. Some make a log when there is nothing to find. I found the broken shards of a cache recently, removed the remains of plastic, but today it was logged. 7 NM going back to 2012, so the cache has been in bad condition since then. I made a NA on 20/11/20. I only logged it because I found the remains and signed a tiny bit of paper in it. If I had found nothing I would have logged a DNF (as in the example above in my previous entry). I wrote a note after the log.

Write noteWrite note

28/Nov/2020

There is no cache to find. The broken shards of plastic were removed.

Found itFound it

28/Nov/2020

Ltf.
Needs maintenance

Needs ArchivedNeeds Archived

20/Nov/2020

The cache has broken down; there have been several NMs going back to 2012, but no action from the CO. As no maintenance has been done in that time, and there has been no indication that the CO has any intention to remove this (now) rubbish, I removed them, rather than leave them here to break down further and never be removed. Photograph included in my log to show the unusable remains.

Found itFound it

20/Nov/2020

The container is broken. There was a tiny slip of paper that I signed, but then I realised there have been logs going back a long way about the cache's broken condition and nothing has been done to rectify it. So rather than leave the plastic shards here to break down further, I did the responsible thing and picked up the litter to dispose of. There is now no cache here. I checked and there was a NM way back in 2012, and six more since. This needs NM or NA. Photograph of plastic shards included to show that I didn't remove a viable cache; but only litter.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
10 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

You don't even need a cache or log to log it seems. Some make a log when there is nothing to find. I found the broken shards of a cache recently, removed the remains of plastic, but today it was logged. 7 NM going back to 2012, so the cache has been in bad condition since then. I made a NA on 20/11/20. I only logged it because I found the remains and signed a tiny bit of paper in it. If I had found nothing I would have logged a DNF (as in the example above in my previous entry). I wrote a note after the log.

On more than one occasion I've found just shards of plastic at GZ and was mentally composing my DNF and NM logs when I happened to spy the actual cache safe and sound in its well-concealed hidey-hole. The shards weren't geo-litter, they were just plain litter (which I removed).

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

On more than one occasion I've found just shards of plastic at GZ and was mentally composing my DNF and NM logs when I happened to spy the actual cache safe and sound in its well-concealed hidey-hole. The shards weren't geo-litter, they were just plain litter (which I removed).

No, that was the cache, as there were past their use by date trinkets in it. Plus 7 NMs and many comments on its condition.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Throwdown mom throws down a container at the one below.  Then a few miles away at another cache Throwdown Mom found 2 containers at another cache location and complains because someone threw down a container when they couldn't find the original.  

=====================================

Throwdown mom

Profile photo for l'bugg'ma

2.png827

Write noteWrite note

11/29/2020

Since it has been a dnf for 8 months, we went ahead and replaced cache container, log and baggie.

throwdown junior

reg_user.gifMember

Profile photo for ladybug040309

2.png110

Found itFound it

11/29/2020

TFTF! We left a new container but about froze are toes off. Replaced and ready to go ,thanks!

not there 1

Profile photo for mafiamastiffs2

2.png2811

09/05/2020

Gave it a good go, Nothing in the usual spots. Dug around a bit, no dice.

Not there 2

reg_user.gifMember

Profile photo for Khaleyyyyy

2.png7

05/15/2020

Could not find was not there any more
Looked for a while

Edited by Wadcutter

Found it Monday, 07 December 2020 by <GIMME MORE FINDS #1>
Third time in the US. And a new found here near <SOME CITY> with <GIMME MORE FINDS #2>. We think the box isn't here anymore. Tftc. ;)

Found it Monday, 07 December 2020 by <GIMME MORE FINDS #2>
<GIMME MORE FINDS #1> and I stay for some days in <SOME CITY> and of course we wanted to find some Caches. We was on the right spot but couldnt found a box. There is too much dirt and everything is overgrown. Hope the picture will be okay. Tftc

Edited by fbingha

The CO did not object:

S

2.png1

Found itFound it

03/17/2020

****Geocache is gone!! ****
Here’s a pic of the remains we found

T

2.png2

Found itFound it

03/16/2020

Found only the broken lid. I’ll take it as a find.

a

2.png3161

Found itFound it

03/12/2020

Met up with <> for a pleasant walk thru <> Park only a broken lid with geocache printed on it .. will claim as a find a unless CO objects... cache container needs replaced as this was a good place to hide it.

K

2.png3327

Found itFound it

03/12/2020

Met up with <> to capture some caches in <> Park; ..all we could find was a lid off the cache container, but nothing else! Needs to be replaced Unless CO objects, we are claiming a find here!

1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

The CO did not object:

S

2.png1

Found itFound it

03/17/2020

****Geocache is gone!! ****
Here’s a pic of the remains we found

T

2.png2

Found itFound it

03/16/2020

Found only the broken lid. I’ll take it as a find.

a

2.png3161

Found itFound it

03/12/2020

Met up with <> for a pleasant walk thru <> Park only a broken lid with geocache printed on it .. will claim as a find a unless CO objects... cache container needs replaced as this was a good place to hide it.

K

2.png3327

Found itFound it

03/12/2020

Met up with <> to capture some caches in <> Park; ..all we could find was a lid off the cache container, but nothing else! Needs to be replaced Unless CO objects, we are claiming a find here!

Am I correct in guessing that none posted a NM?

I would claim a find on a damaged container, provided I was sure it was actually the cache (only a broken lid with geocache printed on it).  But I would add a replacement log, put everything in a zip-lock bag and then publish NM.  NM's automatically go on my watch list and I'll check back in a month or so to add NA if needed.

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, colleda said:

Am I correct in guessing that none posted a NM?

You are correct. The best were a couple of DNFs. 

A DNF in Dec 2019. Followed by 2 finds on March 8th 2020, one that said  "Only cache lid remains, informed CO" (should have added this to the above post).  Followed by the list of 4 finds I posted above. Followed by a DNF. Followed by 4 more finds on the lid. A couple of people posted a photo of the lid - a very cracked peanut butter jar lid with a 1 inch hole. Followed by an OM in April, when the owner visited with a replacement cache. 

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance   13/Dec/2020

Needs checking. Possibly not found since October 2019.

Didn't find itDidn't find it   13/Dec/2020   (4218 )

Found itFound it   12/Sep/2020   (Finds: 2308)

Found

Didn't find itDidn't find it   10/Sep/2020   (11270 )

I was caching with …………., who has found this cache before. Neither of us could spot the cache from the ground, so ……….. climbed the tree to search, but even though he had found it before, he couldn't find it today, so a DNF for me.

Found itFound it   05/Sep/2020 (Finds 10)

It’s cool

Didn't find itDidn't find it   28/Aug/2020  (Finds 6788 )

Didn't find itDidn't find it   17/Jan/2020   (Finds 1740)

Found itFound it   23/Oct/2019

Several DNFs, but 2 finds in between, without much explanation. One is a beginner, so might not have know what to do, but the other person (in purple), a more experienced cacher, has logged several of my caches without signing the log, and then not being able to describe the log, cache, etc when asked. It seems if they can't find a cache, they consider it's enough just to visit the area. (Or I presume they have visited the area :unsure:.) I deleted their non signed logs of my caches. So, I strongly suspect their log here in the middle of DNFs is similar. Their log, "Found" doesn't say much. All the DNFs said a lot more, one had15 lines.

Another for 'Found It = Didn't Find It' by the same cacher; a find in the middle of DNFs.

Found itFound it

08/Oct/2020

.....The cache was missing, so we replaced it for the owner

Didn't find itDidn't find it   30/Sep/2020

Found itFound it  30/Aug/2020

Found

04/Aug/2020

No luck here for me today. There was a spot for a cache at 'BOT', but nothing there. I looked around for it, but no find. DNF.

(I was wondering if they have ever logged a DNF)

Edited by Goldenwattle

Found itFound it

11/01/2020

Found on our Sunday walk
Found the famous pen without log sheet

Found itFound it

09/12/2020

Found the spot, like the last person did. But yep, no cache.

Found itFound it

09/08/2020

Found a tree that matched all the descriptions. It had the log pen and some beads beneath it and the picture matched one that I saw in the posts. I placed the pen where the cache should be. The cache is gone.☹️

• Surprised 1

I guessed there were lots of  'Found It Didn't Find It'  in Iceland. This was my first hit and it fits the bill:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC7AEJZ

The CO said it was gone in April 2019 and disabled it. Followed by some DNFs. Followed by a NA in November 2019. Followed by 4 days later a throwdown "found it" by someone who was visiting from Belgium. He wrote "As a searched for a while I left a piece a paper a the feet of the tree (closest to the coord) under few stones."

Followed by a reviewer note a few days later in December. Then nothing until a different reviewer posted another reviewer note 8 months later. Still not archived, and doesn't have a red wrench. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 1

I cached in Iceland, and I got the impression that any reviewer action of caches there was slow, and flexible. I vaguely seem to remember finding a cache in good condition (log in a glass jar) that had had some reports about it, but when I logged it and said the cache was good, the reviewer made the comment it appears that locals are looking after this.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, on4bam said:

Just noticed when looking at someones profile:

Traditional found in Belgium at date X

Virtual found in TX, USA at date X+1 (no other caches found the same day and not close to any airport, virtual is not a 'drive by')

Traditional found in Belgium at date X+3

Maybe it was a virtual cache requiring visiting a lot of places and this person just accomplished this in meantime.

I'm sure it could look similar in my case many times, as I log challenges, i.e., after 1 year of grabbing the cache, because I just managed to fulfill all requirements.

• Funny 1

a60e0bef-5bc8-44dc-b1ee-c1cd54cb0202_l.j

Premium Member

2.png30370

Found itFound it

Nov/21/2020

I went back to posted and found the "garland" and camo tape as indicated in the pictures so making use of that, I left a new container and log there! Thanks for the cache!

Edited by L0ne.R
1 hour ago, jaxzel said:

Is it ok for CO log their cache as found, or can they log the cache as found under an alias? 

Checked to make sure you weren't near me...   :)

A CO can't log their own cache as found.    Why would you want to ?  You know where it is...

- This was fixed by Groundspeak when some knuckleheads people were logging a Found It every time they did maintenance, and COs of "moving" caches weren't concerned with how they were being used (brought to events mostly...).

You could log it found with an alias I guess, but when word finally gets out, do you really want to be "that person" that everyone's making fun of at events ?  ;)

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Checked to make sure you weren't near me...   :)

A CO can't log their own cache as found.    Why would you want to ?  You know where it is...

- This was fixed by Groundspeak when some knuckleheads people were logging a Found It every time they did maintenance, and COs of "moving" caches weren't concerned with how they were being used (brought to events mostly...).

You could log it found with an alias I guess, but when word finally gets out, do you really want to be "that person" that everyone's making fun of at events ?  ;)

Ah perfect, thank you very much. Yeah this person is a bit of a knucklehead in my opinion. I was curious if this was normal behaviour of someone being a douche. I have been the first to find a number of his caches but when I open the log his alias is written on the first page.

The following post is on a local puzzle cache series.  A total of 22 "art" caches.  You have to figure the puzzles to get each cache and then the art map will be filled in with smilies.

So did this cacher figure out the puzzles?  Were the actual caches really missing?  Are there now a string of geotrash placed out there?  More throwdowns.  At least they didn't claim 'finds' for their throwdowns.

--------------------------------------------

2.png2434

10/25/2019

So (caching partner) and I have had our eyes on this geoart for a while. Today we finally made it. It included a tour of many gravel roads, crops and local farmers harvesting their crops today. We were disappointed that about half of this series were missing. We replaced as many containers and logs as we had with us, the rest we DNF'd. Most of the ones we found were wet and in poor shape. The whole series could use a little clean up. Nothing found here! Thanks for putting these out there and the smilies we did find!

Edited by Wadcutter
3 hours ago, NanCycle said:

CO has graciously allowed us to log this find because it was missing when we looked for it last week. Thanks.

And what is your issue?

I prefer that X1000 instead of that group of 5-6 geocacher in my area that log THOUSANDS of cache they never went close to GZ.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
8 minutes ago, on4bam said:

There's no reason to chose between the two. Both didn't find the cache and shouldn't log a Found it.

The issue is not understanding the issue ;)

In Canada we consider it's bad form to force someone to go back again because of an issue at GZ that made the cache dissapear.

Groundspeak is thinking the same with how they introduced AL.

• Funny 1
1 minute ago, on4bam said:

I consider logging a Found it when it's clear a cache was not found bad form. But that's just me. Nothing wrong with a DNF and there are no prices to be won with that fake +1 :ph34r:

I sit on both sides of this fence. I recently allowed a find on a 2/5 multi where the cacher had done the tough hike to the earlier waypoints (that itself would have been rated T4), hired a boat to get to the final waypoint then around to GZ where she searched in the correct spot, only the stump in which I'd hidden it had split and the cache had washed away. After preparing a replacement, I offered to let her sign the new logbook before I paddled out to put it in position, which she accepted. As far as I'm concerned that's a legitimate find and her signature is in the logbook in her own hand. She'd been to GZ, found the hiding place and signed the log, just not all at the same time :).

On the other hand, in similar situations when I've been offered a find on a missing cache I've declined, preferring to go back another time and actually make the find. But that's just me valuing the full experience of the cache above the value of a smiley and not some moral high ground or anything.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

In Canada we consider it's bad form to force someone to go back again because of an issue at GZ that made the cache dissapear.

Not all Canadians do. :) Some of us consider a "found it" to mean that they actually found something.

Edited by TriciaG
Wrong set of characters for the smiley
  • Upvote 4
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Please, feel free to reread the opening post, and stay on topic. Thanks

Found it! looks like it’s been destroyed

Found it! couldn’t find the container but was in the right spot

Write note Mosquitos chased me out.

Found it!   someone destroyed it

Found it!  Same comment as the cacher from yesterday. I think the container, etc is gone.

Found it!  OK, I didn’t really find IT.  I found some unidontifiable bits of plastic and some discrete objects, a slinky, a marble, other toys. But nothing resembling a cache nor a log.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Please, feel free to reread the opening post, and stay on topic. Thanks

Re-emphasizing this from a Moderator's account.  This thread is in danger of being closed if it strays from the boundaries of the opening post.  Special care should be taken to mask cache and account details sufficiently to prevent identification of specific geocachers.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Disabled

Needs Maintenance

DNF

DNF

DNF

DNF

Write note Why are people claiming a yo-yo?

Found it Found it

Needs Maintenance I believe this one is gone.

Didn't find it I believe this one is gone.

Found it Only a yo-yo?

Found it TFTC

Found it cache a yo-yo in between a orange tree

Found it didn’t find the log but found the yo-yo in the orange trees.

Found it just a yoyo

Found it No container, just a yo-yo on the tree

Didn't find it As previous cachers stated, there's   only a yoyo.

Found it TFTC

Found it There wasn’t anything to sign. Just a yo-yo.

Didn't find it  Only found a yo-yo

Didn't find it a yoyo

Didn't find it found a yoyo and a string but no container

Found it TYFTC was fun. Took nothing, left a glow stick

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1