Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

50 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Sometimes it's a mistake, because 'Found It' is set as the default, which is silly. Those can usually be picked up as mistakes by the wording. Some people I think all they need to do is visit the location and they can log a find. Then there are the armchair loggers of course. That these logs are allowed to remain, is all down to the fault to the CO. But if the cache has a string of DNFs, it seems the CO doesn't care less, as it should have been checked before this, and the Found It logs deleted. Occasionally, on very difficult finds, among a long string of DNFs the Found It log might be real. But I wouldn't believe this to be the case for mere "TFTC" logs. In those cases I would expect a more informative log.

I understand why you are grumpy though, as that's how I feel with such loggers, but also with the CO for doing nothing about it. I have placed NM and/or NA logs and written that I believe the Found It log is a mistake. In one case I wrote, "I believe this cache has been missing for some time. The two recent finds do nothing to change my opinion of this." (They were beginners with single digit finds.)

If you really believe the cache is missing, despite a found it log among a long list of DNFs, log a NM and say the cache needs checking.

Yeah I can usually tell it's a mistake. In most cases the person will do an oops and post a DNF right after. In my area geocaching exploded from a slump in 2016-2018, which is when I wasn't caching (I signed up in 2006). So now, many caches are missing since it's 2020. All the local people still playing have already found these caches. But I haven't, so now I've become "that guy" (girl) who has to flag all these caches for maintenance years after the last find. I don't go in blazing with my flags and I use discretion if the CO is actively still logging into the site. But since my "vacation" from geocaching I've noticed a huge increase in either "fake" accounts or these types of "found it" people. Many, granted, are probably just young kids, but still you're right, it's up to the CO to regulate. But with the decline in active players, I think a lot of people have the "who cares" mentality.

• Upvote 1

Found itFound it

04/29/2020

took a walk along the waters edge to get this cache before the weeds get too high. We signed the tie wrap since the cache is missing.

Screenshot_1.png.e2b4c7de8ad87250d30992b4f842b3a7.png

Then the next visitor threw down a cache.

The prolific CO stopped geocaching 2 years ago and didn't retrieve his 300+ caches. 

• Funny 1

"But We Tried So We Deserve a Smiley" cacher

prem_user.gifPremium Member

Profile photo for nodderbug

2.png6749

Found itFound it

05/02/2010

Note to owner and following cachers at this site: We stopped at this one with skepticism, knowing it hadn't been found for the past 1/2 year and a previous DNF and realizing its difficulty was a 1 1/2. With the box 1 & 2 teams, we thoroughly scoured the area, finding the "obvious" neat place where the container should be. We assumed it was muggled; therefore, we're logging it as a find to justify our time spent here. If the CO disagrees with this, please edit accordingly. Our apologies for not having a container to place here to help the situation. A virtual SL on this quiet little area.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Found itFound it

08/23/2020

Was up the mountains for the weekend. Decided to get up and at them early to leave Hawley, PA at 6:00 and head over to grab a few more 519. Goal on the day was to score another 30 finds to match my Saturday total. Ended up over achieving and getting a total of 45 finds. all before lunch. Was a successful morning. SL TFTC

Replaced missing cache

• Upvote 3

I'm currently in an area with a huge, huuuge amount of poorly or not at all maintained caches and masses of logs for this category. Here's a selection.

Cache 1:

Found itFound it (premium member 1055 finds)

Hier haben wir vor zwei Jahren schon mal vergeblich gesucht.
Nun heute wieder unser Glück versucht...vergeblich.
Das Versteck wurde gefunden, deshalb Fotolog.

(translate: searched in vein here two years ago. Tried again today... no luck. Found the hiding place, hence photolog)

Cache 2:

Found itFound it (PM, 2369 finds)

No log book there

Found itFound it (719 finds)

Cacheversteck war leider leer! Ich konnte mich nicht eintragen...??

(translate: hiding place was unfortunately empty. Couldn't sign)

Found itFound it (5 finds)

09/08/2020

Found location, but the cashe is missing

10 minutes ago, terratin said:

I'm currently in an area with a huge, huuuge amount of poorly or not at all maintained caches and masses of logs for this category. Here's a selection.

Cache 1:

Found itFound it (premium member 1055 finds)

Hier haben wir vor zwei Jahren schon mal vergeblich gesucht.
Nun heute wieder unser Glück versucht...vergeblich.
Das Versteck wurde gefunden, deshalb Fotolog.

(translate: searched in vein here two years ago. Tried again today... no luck. Found the hiding place, hence photolog)

Cache 2:

Found itFound it (PM, 2369 finds)

No log book there

Found itFound it (719 finds)

Cacheversteck war leider leer! Ich konnte mich nicht eintragen...??

(translate: hiding place was unfortunately empty. Couldn't sign)

Found itFound it (5 finds)

09/08/2020

Found location, but the cashe is missing

Appears there are a log of NMs to be made.

11 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

My home zone is NSW,  Australia but I've posted NA logs in Victoria, Tasmania, the ACT, Singapore and Macao.

If it needs an NA, log it.

I've done that before. I was once researching some caches in Asia near where I would be visiting. I saw one that was on a small island private resort with armed guards patrolling. Cachers were logging finds because they could see the island but could not access it. I NA'd it and it was later archived. Another was in India where the cache was long gone but there were many Found It and photo logs of GZ. In this case I had visited the site and confirmed the cache's non existence. NA'd then Archived.

Edited by colleda
typo
  • Helpful 2
19 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I've never done that - post an NA without being there.  Every one of my NA logs referred to a cache I has physically visited.

I don't think I have either, as a NA is something I am reluctant to do on a cache I have not visited. However, I have posted a few (not many) NMs without a visit. Annoyed that I have felt I have needed  to. Long list of DNFs on easy to find caches, and none of those cachers have bothered to log a NM. It's when I have been exploring caches to find during travel I have discovered these neglected caches. The last one I made a NM on had not been found for 1.5 years, was in an urban area and 1.5D. The reviewer came in after a couple more DNFs and it's now been archived without any response from the CO. Some caches are so obviously missing and have a CO who is not bothered to fix the problem, that a visit is not needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

This is on one I had found previously. It was archived by CO right after this log.

2.png5659

Found itFound it

03/01/2019

The day at the Dead Sea was one of the highlights of our trip through Israel.

I had my fingers and my eyes everywhere where the spoiler pictures shows. But nothing to find ☹️. So, I attach an image as log.

#4144 / 16:35

Didn't find itDidn't find it

13/Sep/2020

Nothing left here after the fires? At least I didn't find any evidence.

Found itFound it

07/Jul/2020

Found it but I don’t think it survived the fires

16/Mar/2020

Didn’t fund

16/Mar/2020

Fire affected

Edited by Goldenwattle

The CO hasn't played since 2016. 2 years of DNFs. No NMs.

Then a caching group came through. They left a throwdown and they all logged a find. The log has a "Helpful" vote. :

Found itFound it

Note: After several minutes, like the previous cachers, we were unable to found this one. Because of all the previous DNF and due to the low difficulty level, it seems obvious that the cache had disappeared. So, we decided to replace it with a new container and a new log. We have logged the cache as “found” but if the CO doesn’t agree we will delete our log immediately. 

Great story  Helpful (1)

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Funny 1

Apparently the cache was a plastic jar with Minions tape around it, shown in a picture in a log. The lid was missing for a long time, and many people posted that there was nothing inside (no log). Here's the end of the Found Its; after this it was all DNFs, then a reviewer TD, and today an Archive.

Capture.JPG.7471be1637d1fcc14de70edebb32f632.JPG

21 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Am I reading that right? Someone who didn't sign the log because they can't retrieve the cache logged a Found It, and suggested the Found log of the previous finder be deleted even though they did sign the log?

Maybe the"last person's" log was deleted.

2.png18705

ais uma caixinha, deu luta e no meio de tanto mato e silvas não surgiu. deixei um conteiner no GZ.

Translation by Google

"here was a box, there was a struggle and in the middle of so much bush and brambles it didn’t appear. I left a container at GZ."

Found itFound it

Solved the puzzle and came out to the location with a previous finder. Cache is definitely gone and nearby rocks that would have covered the cache are in disarray. Cache not on ground nearby either. CO does not appear to be active since mid 2013. Went back to car and grabbed a small container to replace. Hid well (not under rocks) and ready for next folks. TFTC.

• Upvote 1

Three DNF logs (mine was the first) then this:

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png2333

Found itFound it 11/20/2018

Randomly ended up at this hotel for the night. Imagine our surprise to find it had a cache and a letterbox right outside. Left a replacement notecard, it's all we had.

Then six more DNFs, then the CO replaced it.

57 minutes ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

why have they not had the logs deleted

Viewed from the other side of the coin, I see more than 25 deleted "Found it" logs from the period after HQ closed down due to COVID-19.  I am guessing that some poor Lackey is tasked with the duty of cleaning up the cache page periodically - but not on a real-time basis.

• Helpful 1

Found itFound it

08/22/2020

Was up the mountains for the weekend for an appointment I had over in xxx. Afterwards, with no other obligations I decided to do a little caching. After a day of driver and caching had over 100 miles on the truck and 31 cache finds in the draft que. This was one of the many great finds one the day. Thanks to all the COs. SL TFTC

Replaced missing cache for CO

Found itFound it

??

33 finds.

This is a 16 stage multicache, that involved driving Canberra to Darwin and back. Over 10,000 kms. Also the state borders have been closed. I don't think so!! But I know this CO will be on top of this. I await the 'fun' :rolleyes::laughing::drama:.

And it gets better, they also did the similar multicache on the same day to Perth, and the WA border has been locked for months.

Edited by Goldenwattle
17 hours ago, Keystone said:

Viewed from the other side of the coin, I see more than 25 deleted "Found it" logs from the period after HQ closed down due to COVID-19.  I am guessing that some poor Lackey is tasked with the duty of cleaning up the cache page periodically - but not on a real-time basis.

would it not be better to delete incorrect logs and to lock the page ?

Edited by Clongo_Rongo
  • Upvote 1

2.png4415 

Found itFound it

09/27/2020

Didn't actually find the container but since it was supposed to be easy and there have been a few DNFs we left a new container where we thought it should be......not in the middle of the west bound lane! If this is totally not where it should be , please delete this log

2.png4156 

Found itFound it

09/27/2020

GPS put us in the middle of the road. Left replacement cache as close as we could.

2.png10 
09/06/2020

Pretty sure we found an old bottle that used to be a chache, long gone now

NanCycle

Profile photo for NanCycle

2.png3594 

06/03/2020

I found what might have been the remains of a cache.

4 hours ago, NanCycle said:

2.png4415 

Found itFound it

09/27/2020

Didn't actually find the container but since it was supposed to be easy and there have been a few DNFs we left a new container where we thought it should be......not in the middle of the west bound lane! If this is totally not where it should be , please delete this log

2.png4156 

Found itFound it

09/27/2020

GPS put us in the middle of the road. Left replacement cache as close as we could.

2.png10 
09/06/2020

Pretty sure we found an old bottle that used to be a chache, long gone now

NanCycle

Profile photo for NanCycle

2.png3594 

06/03/2020

I found what might have been the remains of a cache.

Looks like a NM is due?

Found itFound it

No problems with this one now. Nice new logbook and a nice clean and dry container. Tftc

Found itFound it

(The Found itFound it person among the DNFs appears to log finds, just for visiting GZ; even for those caches they don't manage to find. Or that's what they did for one of my caches. They didn't find it - no signature and couldn't describe the cache or log - but logged a find anyway.)

Edited by Goldenwattle
Another 'find' for the same geocacher mentioned in the previous entry. It appears they regularly log finds like this.

icon_admin.gifReviewer
Temporarily Disable ListingTemporarily Disable Listing

05/Sep/2020

Only found some tie wire but no cache

05/Sep/2020

Only found a wire in the tree, no cache ?

18/Aug/2020

Again, found the place for it but no cache

18/Aug/2020

There is a hook on the tree, not cache

Found itFound it

12/Aug/2020

Found ?

08/Aug/2020

Cache missing seems to have fallen off tree