Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Found itFound it

I was seeking the xxx series and this was the end of the road here for me. Seeing the previous DNFs and after searching a looong time I hung a preform at N.XXX W.XXX for you before I saw your log. I had my older PQ loaded and missed you by one day I see! Feel free to remove it to place elsewhere, or perhaps you like this spot better as it is out of the way of the parking area compared to where GZ put me.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 3/10/2020 at 7:45 PM, on4bam said:

Found it  08 Mar 20

Log by member of German team (5049 finds) Wrong logdate

Found it  08 Mar 20

Log by member of German team (5055 finds) Wrong logdate

Found it  08 Mar 20

Log by member of German team (4854 finds) Wrong logdate

Found it  08 Mar 20

Log by member of German team (4847 finds) Wrong logdate

Found it  07 Mar 20

Log by member of German team (12950 finds)

Found it  07 Mar 20

Log by member of German team (10702 finds)

Found it 07 Mar 20

Cache is gone

Found it 07 Mar 20

Archive 07 Mar 20

By CO

Temporarily Disable Listing  07 Mar 20

CO publishes picture of the destroyed cache and wonders how people log it (Micro looks like a truck drove over it)

Probably logged by the same members of the German team (none of whom have ever been to Australia) logging a TB in my TB Hotel here in Australia. It's a number game to them, not an actual find game. (Me, being cynical :rolleyes:.)

• Upvote 1

We've gotten to the point where we take a picture of one of us actually SIGNING the log to show we're not "drive-by" cachers.

In "the old days" (ahem . . .) when you had to hand enter the coordinates into a GPS, and then come back to the caches on your computer to enter your finds, it fried me even THEN to find that the names on the physical log you signed sometimes were different than the logs online. Huh? Is this how some cachers get upwards of tens of thousands of caches logged?

• Upvote 3
35 minutes ago, T & G's Adventures said:

We've gotten to the point where we take a picture of one of us actually SIGNING the log to show we're not "drive-by" cachers.

In "the old days" (ahem . . .) when you had to hand enter the coordinates into a GPS, and then come back to the caches on your computer to enter your finds, it fried me even THEN to find that the names on the physical log you signed sometimes were different than the logs online. Huh? Is this how some cachers get upwards of tens of thousands of caches logged?

I still load caches manually, and write my online logs at home....   ;)

We have a local cacher that travels a lot.  They might be in AZ on monday, back in PA on thursday, then in AZ again on saturday.  :)

They enclose a pic of the log with their signature on every one JIC.

When we cache with a few people (rare), we'll use a "team name" covering all to save on log space, especially if almost filled.

- At least one will note it in their log,  and that name will be different than online by how many cachers were in the group.

A kid that's old enough to break-away from their family's account will also have a different name in the online log, after back-dating their find.  

Found itFound it

05/16/2020

99.9999% sure I found the spot where it was supposed to be... But no sign of it. Going to log it anyways tho and maybe come back and sign when it is replaced

Edited by L0ne.R

Geocaching Maintenance:  Logs from the CO.

Temporarily Disable ListingTemporarily Disable Listing

03/08/2020

Needs maintenance

Enable ListingEnable Listing

03/08/2020

Looking for it

Owner MaintenanceOwner Maintenance

03/08/2020

Cache was stolen! Need to plant a new one

Temporarily Disable ListingTemporarily Disable Listing

03/08/2020

This cache was stolen. We will plant a new one soon!

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
On 3/5/2020 at 5:59 AM, papu66 said:

Sorry, my bad. I meant to say I have no problem with the found it logs.

I understand that the purpose is to visit the coordinates and picture of the statue is only necessary as a proof.

Not necessarily - the point of the Virtual may be to see the statue!

Just going there isn't good enough, in my eyes.

If I have a Virt that's a painting in a museum (I know, this is just for example) and someone never turns around and sees it, and logs "I was in the room but didn't see the painting, so I'm claiming the find", I'd have a problem with that.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 2

This one was more like a "Dipped Not Dipped".

Cache is in Egypt on the Eastern side of the Gulf of Suez about 2km from the water.

Cache published 31/3/18 with no finds, no DNFs - yet.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png5308

Write noteWrite note

26/02/2020

Dipping our son's TB as he passes y on the motor Yacht Fxxxxxxx on the way to the med

DNF  Did not find what should have been an easy grab from out boat. Is it still there? Should be checked on. Person before us said there was a string hanging.

Found it!  Found string it was connected to...

Found it! Found the GZ but no cache, only a wasp nest so once we spotted that we made a hasty retreat! Logging because I'm from Canada and friends took me out in a boat specially to get this one

Found it! Found the string but the container is gone. Needs maintenance

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 6/14/2020 at 5:32 AM, colleda said:

This one was more like a "Dipped Not Dipped".

Cache is in Egypt on the Eastern side of the Gulf of Suez about 2km from the water.

Cache published 31/3/18 with no finds, no DNFs - yet.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png5308

Write noteWrite note

26/02/2020

Dipping our son's TB as he passes y on the motor Yacht Fxxxxxxx on the way to the med

Reminds me of the SpiderWings notes I used to see so often when first checking caches out back in 2007 - they "flew" flight simulator trips among states and countries and virtually dipped a TB in first/oldest caches to mark their flight simulator stops.

Ultimately harmless.  At least they didn't log a find.

Same cacher, same cache,  same day:

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png171 

Write note  03/11/2019

Was mountain biking through the area and found that this one was missing, probably washed away by a flood.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png171 

Found itFound it  03/11/2019

Forgot to log this one

Edited by NanCycle
On 3/16/2004 at 6:22 PM, SBPhishy said:

Yup. I agree with Wacko. I have a cache with a lock on it, as done another cacher out here. If you just went and held the cache, that wouldnt be a find, in my opinion.

thats what i usually do, but they're mostly lpcs

edit: i haven't come across loked ones ever, but if i did, i would count unlocking it a find

i'd post a picture as proof

Edited by RedGuy11

image.png.cdf7588f708a07723d7fd0e3229496f4.png

This was on one of my multis and Wanda is just the first stage. The final is 300 metres away horizontally and 100 metres up vertically so I was wondering how they'd managed the climb with a sprained ankle. I paid the cache a routine visit this morning and, sure enough, their name isn't in the logbook. This is one of the recent spate of PM newbies who have never visited the website and seem to have no idea how the game works beyond following the arrow on the app. I've sent them a message politely explaining how a multi works and suggesting they delete their log or change it to a WN (can you do that without visiting the website?) until they're able to complete the cache. The cache gets its T4 rating from that climb up the hill, getting to Wanda would be a T2.5 at most so it would seem unfair to the seven others who've made the climb to allow that log to stand.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, me N u said:
One way to "find" D5 T4.5 caches!

Publish ListingPublish Listing

26/06/2020

Published

Found itFound it

21/06/2020

I was fortunate enough to join the CO in hiding this cache.

That's fairly common and accepted. I have done this when I've been with another hider, and others who were with me when I hid a cache also have logged it. Although, we have always not claimed FTF, but rather written, will log after FTF.

• Surprised 1
On 6/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, Goldenwattle said:

That's fairly common and accepted. I have done this when I've been with another hider, and others who were with me when I hid a cache also have logged it. Although, we have always not claimed FTF, but rather written, will log after FTF.

Only by those that do it...

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, allrounder said:

Only by those that do it...

Yes, the same as most things, only by those who "do it". But I notice many do. It would be rather silly not to log and what would it achieve? The assistant/companion now knows where GZ is. What are they to do? Never find this cache, because they have insider information where the cache is hidden. Hopefully though they wait for the FTF before logging their find online. It's also normal for the CO to write such and such was with them, and they will log after the FTF.

Besides, the person might have assisted the CO place the cache; at the least gave advice. That's normal.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Yes, the same as most things, only by those who "do it". But I notice many do. It would be rather silly not to log and what would it achieve? The assistant/companion now knows where GZ is. What are they to do? Never find this cache, because they have insider information where the cache is hidden. Hopefully though they wait for the FTF before logging their find online. It's also normal for the CO to write such and such was with them, and they will log after the FTF.

Besides, the person might have assisted the CO place the cache; at the least gave advice. That's normal.

In mid May, just after the easing of the lock-down restrictions here, I went out for a hike with a couple of caching friends. Along the way, one of them placed the container for a multi he'd been preparing so I couldn't help seeing where it was. It was published mid afternoon the next day so the following morning I went off, did the calculations at the two waypoints to get the final coordinates and headed off up the hill to GZ where I was the first to sign the logbook. Did I have an unfair advantage? I doubt it as it took me just as long to get to GZ as if I hadn't seen the CO place it and it's not a difficult one to spot once at GZ. Now, six weeks on, I'm still that cache's only finder.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

The assistant/companion now knows where GZ is.

What are they to do?   Never find this cache, because they have insider information where the cache is hidden. .

It's just one smiley.     But if they felt they had to, who cares ?    ;)   

I placed a 1.5/5 for the other 2/3rd's account and never logged it....   I've since adopted it from her, and never logged it beforehand.

I've helped more people place caches than we ever owned.  Never logged one as a find.  All depends on how you feel about that smiley.   :)

• Helpful 1
22 minutes ago, on4bam said:

This cache has 7 Needs Archived logs! :ph34r:

Sounds like you should petition GS for a local reviewer.  But 7 seems to be a record. I love it that some folks give a dnf saying lamp is gone. Some say Found the missing lamp, um that's not a cache.

Full disclosure I logged a find yesterday after finding half of a nano.

Edited by MNTA
auto-correct changed dnf to def changed back

Found itFound it

06/17/2020

Drove up from Harrisburg and parked in the Wally's Parking lot and got the e-bike out. Biked around the area putting on about 10 miles and picking up several caches. Looked around without any luck and seeing the cache has had several recent DNF and the CO is not active I placed a container hanging in a nearby tree. SL

On 6/30/2020 at 1:03 AM, cerberus1 said:

It's just one smiley.     But if they felt they had to, who cares ?    ;)   

I placed a 1.5/5 for the other 2/3rd's account and never logged it....   I've since adopted it from her, and never logged it beforehand.

I've helped more people place caches than we ever owned.  Never logged one as a find.  All depends on how you feel about that smiley.   :)

I've helped hide caches a number of times. For me, it would be silly to log any of them as finds since I didn't "find" them. I didn't look up coordinates, I didn't have to use a GPSR or phone to get to them,  and I certainly didn't have to do any searching to find those caches. Imo, that's not really geocaching...

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

728 "finds" to their name

Found itFound it

25 Jun 20

Found ground zero easy enough, but couldn't find the cache

============================
Different cache: 
278 "finds" to their name

Found itFound it

12 Jul 20

Found the location but the cashe is gone. We know because we ran into other geocachers who knew exactly where it should be. We agreed on the same place. They confirmed it was gone.

From a recent log on one of our earthcaches:

Didn't answer the questions but climbed to the top!

1. The description says the object is on private land and asks you to respect private property.

2. No, that is not how my earthcaches work.

3. Baleeted.

• Helpful 1

This makes me so grumpy. Mostly because I have a lot of caches on watch that have had several DNFs including my own. Then along comes one of these people saying they found it. At first, I thought it was real so I'd go back and look again. Now I don't know what to think other than comparing number of finds between cachers. If someone with a large number of finds (100+) says it's not there, then I believe it's really not there.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, P4nD0r4 said:

This makes me so grumpy. Mostly because I have a lot of caches on watch that have had several DNFs including my own. Then along comes one of these people saying they found it. At first, I thought it was real so I'd go back and look again. Now I don't know what to think other than comparing number of finds between cachers. If someone with a large number of finds (100+) says it's not there, then I believe it's really not there.

Sometimes it's a mistake, because 'Found It' is set as the default, which is silly. Those can usually be picked up as mistakes by the wording. Some people I think all they need to do is visit the location and they can log a find. Then there are the armchair loggers of course. That these logs are allowed to remain, is all down to the fault to the CO. But if the cache has a string of DNFs, it seems the CO doesn't care less, as it should have been checked before this, and the Found It logs deleted. Occasionally, on very difficult finds, among a long string of DNFs the Found It log might be real. But I wouldn't believe this to be the case for mere "TFTC" logs. In those cases I would expect a more informative log.

I understand why you are grumpy though, as that's how I feel with such loggers, but also with the CO for doing nothing about it. I have placed NM and/or NA logs and written that I believe the Found It log is a mistake. In one case I wrote, "I believe this cache has been missing for some time. The two recent finds do nothing to change my opinion of this." (They were beginners with single digit finds.)

If you really believe the cache is missing, despite a found it log among a long list of DNFs, log a NM and say the cache needs checking.

• Helpful 1