Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

We placed the cache in a vacant area in a pre-existing trail. This finder has logged the whole trail yesterday, with the date 26/12/15, including ours..... whether it is a mistake or not, he certainly didn't find ours....

Looks like they've corrected their logs. Copy and paste error?

I corrected it for them.... dry.gif

i hope the cache owners are sending polite messages when this happens. it sounds like a lot of frustration is happening, buy not much prevention? if hitting the "delete" button doesn't help the next guy, find a new fix for the problem ?

Edited by ohgood

This one should be more under the heading of 'Found It, Full of BS'

A log from one of mine today, might have been logged on the wrong cache I suppose, is about to be deleted in any case.....

e-brown.jpg

Sounds like they may have done what they felt was a whole trail series, and clicked on your new listing on the map and accidentally thought it was one of the caches they had done.

i hope the cache owners are sending polite messages when this happens. it sounds like a lot of frustration is happening, buy not much prevention? if hitting the "delete" button doesn't help the next guy, find a new fix for the problem ?

It doesn't seem likely to occur again. Back-dated logging isn't that common.

The real fix would be to create a cushion by placing complex multi-caches with multiple physical waypoints that take up space so nobody can put one of those wretched trails near it.

It doesn't seem likely to occur again. Back-dated logging isn't that common.

The real fix would be to create a cushion by placing complex multi-caches with multiple physical waypoints that take up space so nobody can put one of those wretched trails near it.

Doesn't even have to be complex.

Premium Member

Caches Found 1271

Found it 03/02/2014

I looked for this one three times and was never able to find it. The last nine cachers have posted DNFs, so I'm sure this one was gone. I brought a new container and dropped it near the alternate coordinates posted by several others. The new container is a small jar wrapped in camo duct tape. I put a rock over it to conceal it, but it shouldn't be hard to find as long as you don't look around the original coordinates. I am glad to get this off my DNF list.

Found it 2016-10-07

We are on a roadtrip Along the Colorado River. This cache was on my favourite list. We had some difficulties to get there but we managed. We found the memorial, but could not find the cache. We started the web and updated the cache and found that it was archived some days ago. We were at the spot and took Pictures of the memorial, an log it as found. Pictures will be uploaded later.

Archive 2016-10-05

This geocache has been archived after it was taken as evidence in a criminal investigation. We are in contact with the cache owner. -Geocaching HQ Admin

Edited by Tapetsocker
Found it 10/12/2016

Made it to GZ easy enough...but not willing to climb this tree.

This follows my DNF on the cache after I climbed 40 ft up a nearly dead redwood where the cache is 45 ft up the tree. The dead branches became too small for me to safely continue on. Guess my DNF emboldened the next person's find.

Why u remove my cache, WE FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my sister tried to get it but she was to afraid and then a spider was there so we grabbed a stick and it got pushed back and we had nothing to get it with so I'm relogging and don't remove it!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the joy of cache ownership. :)

I recently set up a field puzzle cache that involves a few things, including opening a puzzle box to get to the log. Go and check up on it a few weeks after published to find the puzzle box jammed I check the log and the last online log is just "TFTC" and the name is not in the logbook. This person has obviously gone and tried the puzzle, failed and jammed it in the process, still logged it as found, and not contacted me. Its a relatively delicate puzzle so I'm not too worried if it gets broken- which I state on the cache page, so breaking it and not contacting me or saying so in a NM log is rubbish. Also I think the same person has taken a TB from there and not logged it so the TB owner is now a bit upset as its missing.

Obviously deleted the log.

Edited by Cheese Monkey

After this:

Enable Listing 12/05/2015

Hey guys just getting back into caching after a few years away and went out to check up on this one today. The cache was indeed gone, I've replaced it with a very temporary cache for now and will have a permanent cache in place asap! Good luck!

Two finds. Two DNFs, we get:

Found it 10/29/2016

Rebuilt this one. Hopefully the owner doesnt mind

Hey! Five finds today on the throwdown!

On the cache referred to in another thread:

Caches Found 5

Found it 03/02/2002

Well, dang. I'd printed this one out a week ago, planning to go today and find it. Wish I'd read the log the last few days. Found the site, but as has been posted already, it was a goner .

Did find a nice new softball about 30 feet away though, so took that to drop in a future cache.

Too bad . . . . . . but at least I can say I did log it. Even if I didn't get to write IN the log.

Ahh, well, onward caching soldiers.

On one of our earthcaches:

Premium member

Caches Found 356

Found it while taking a break from a very long road trip. No time to stop and observe to discover and email the answers. So, just making note, I was here and read up on how these cool rocks came to be all jumbled up here.

and_that__s_why_you_always_leave_a_note_by_jonnyetc-d57q7um.jpg

(Gave him a day or so to change to a note or send in answers before I delete the "find.")

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 22300

Found it

08/11/2016

I headed on up the hill this morning

While the wild westerlies tried at times to blow me off the mountain

No rain !!

Here on the exposed westerly bit of the mountain,

I was hiding from the blast as best I could

And soon found something cache like !!

Ooh !! Yuck !!

It's a puddle in there !!

I guess there was a container attached to the lid I found somewhere in there once

I satisfied meself with signing the 'camo' to satisfy the log signing claim

Hey !! I found the cache

TFTC !!

View Log

[Caches Found] 365

Temporarily Disable Listing Temporarily Disable Listing

07/11/2016

hi, please this is not in any shape to collect.

View Log

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 1994

Found it Found it

06/11/2016

Easy find the cache, but the lid is broken, well is full of water. Found piece of plastic bag where once was a logbook.

Need to fix this.

View Log

[Caches Found] 137

Needs Maintenance

04/11/2016

Pretty much destroyed. Lid is smashed, well is full of water, logbook nowhere to be seen. I hope the CO will repair as it's a great cache.

As for Te Reo- a couple of colleagues wrote this:

Mauao

Kopurererua

Takitimu

Huria

Ngati Ranginui e

Otumoetai e

E kore rawa

Te tangata

E pakari

I te wai marino

Otumoetai e

[Caches Found] 137

Found it

04/11/2016

Good news - I found it. Bad news - it's pretty much destroyed. Lid is smashed, well is full of water, logbook nowhere to be seen.

This cache was a piece of 4" PVC pipe buried vertically in the ground and was in trouble for a long time before being disabled.

Cache

These 2 guys are notorious for their throwdowns. At one time over 10% of their 'finds' were their own documented throwdowns. If they can't find one then they throwdown a "replacement". Then they sign it with "thanks cache owner for placing this cache."

Several times we've been to caches where they've throwndown their 'finds' and located 2 caches in the area - 1 the original cache and then also their throwdown.

(St Louis Area Throwdown Cacher #2)

Charter Member

Found it

08/25/2015

Caching with (St Louis Area Throwdown Cacher #1) in the vicinity of Christian County, Illinois. This was a no-find for us back in October of 2011. We were determined to score a find this time. Signed log (SLATC2) and (SLATC1)for brevity. Good job. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache. – (Throwdown Cacher 2), St. Louis MO

(St Louis Area Throwdown Cacher #1)

Premium Member

Found it

08/25/2015

Geocaching with (St Louis Area Throwdown Cacher #2) in Christian County, Illinois, logging as "SLATC1/SLATC2" for brevity. We were here four years ago, logging a DNF when the cache was missing. Once again it is gone; this time we replaced it with 35mm film canister. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (St Louis Area Throwdown Cacher #1), Saint Charles, MO.

Found it 09/08/2016

After getting the CO'S other cache on the other side of the Turnpike I turned my focus towards this one. I noticed that there were 3 recent DNF's and figured I would take a look anyways. When I got close to gz I knew where it had to be ... nope it wasn't there. After reading previous logs I also figured it had to be muggled. I had another small container with me so I placed it along with a log for the next to find. TFTH!!!

This is along the same lines, so I will post my angst here...

There is a person who is going around "finding" caches but not signing logs (others have mentioned that they haven't seen his name in logs).

He "found" 2 of mine - one I've checked and his name is not in the log book, so I've deleted his "find." The other one I'll check on tomorrow. What are the bets that his name isn't there either?

My name for him is The Couch Cacher, LOL. It doesn't make any sense to me that you'd fake finding caches.

Found it 23/10/2016 By xxxxx (Found=3325 Hidden=40, as of 14/11/2016)

Found it. Container is gone, just saw a piece of the logbook.

Found it 30/8/2016 By yyyyyy (Found=6753 Hidden=25, as of 14/11/2016)

After sending a picture of the empty hiding spot CO allowed me to log a found.

Temporarily Disable Listing 29/8/2016 By owner (Found=1394 Hidden=4, as of 14/11/2016)

Pictures send to me prove the cache is gone...

Found it 16/10/2016 By zzzzz (Found=797 Hidden=1, as of 14/11/2016)

To bad, Didn't find it.

Found it 20/7/2016 By lilibiggs (Found=3457 Hidden=92, as of 14/11/2016)

We downloaded the Pocket Query at home before the holidays, the cache was still active; So we walked this round . Is really an interesting system. We enjoyed the circular hike.

Unfortunately, we can not find WP9 like most previous. Is there a table here? With a little guessing we found the cachezone, but there was nothing more to be found.

Since we can not go back, we can still log the cache.

Greetings from switzerland

Temporarily Disable Listing 10/7/2016 By reviewer (Found=0 Hidden=1, as of 14/11/2016)

Needs Archived 8/7/2016 By AAAAA (Found=4241 Hidden=40, as of 14/11/2016)

No cache

This is along the same lines, so I will post my angst here...

There is a person who is going around "finding" caches but not signing logs (others have mentioned that they haven't seen his name in logs).

He "found" 2 of mine - one I've checked and his name is not in the log book, so I've deleted his "find." The other one I'll check on tomorrow. What are the bets that his name isn't there either?

My name for him is The Couch Cacher, LOL. It doesn't make any sense to me that you'd fake finding caches.

Unfortunately, that has happened. People make mistakes, often times they may have found the cache but didn't sign the log book because they didn't have a pen, etc. I've learned that as long as they can prove they found the cache, then their long should remain.

This cache hadn't been found for 10 months and logged as no find by 3 prior cachers. Here's their way of fixing that, and getting themselves another find to add to their count.

Of course, then thank the cache owner for placing the cache that they had just placed so they could log a find.

(St Louis Throwdown Cacher 1)

Charter Member

Found it

09/16/2015

Caching with (SLMO Throwdown Cacher 2) in Moweaqua, IL area Fortunately, (SLMO TD 2) did not have a hammer while I was doing my initial search. Given the string of no-finds we left a hard to see replacement cache hidden in plain sight. Signed log (SLMO TD 1 & 2)for brevity. Good job. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache. – (SLMO TD 1), St. Louis MO

View Log  

(SLMO Throwdown Cacher 2)

Premium Member

Found it

09/16/2015

Geocaching while heading to the Moweaqua area with (SLMO TD 1), signing logs simply as "(TD1/TD2)". We agreed with the previous three logs after making a thorough search on our own. We left a new replacement log and plastic bag, wrapped in a length of duct tape to make it just blend right in with the location. Not too hard to see when approaching from the NW quadrant. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (SLMO TD 2), Saint Charles, MO.

I've had many logs like that. One was from a cacher who logged my cache 3 times. On the third he just mentioned that he didn't bother signing the log since he had signed it twice before.

He has like 50 finds total anyhow. I could care less. Whatever makes you happy is fine with me.

I saw one once where the cacher has one logged find and one cache published. When I looked further, he had logged a FTF on his own cache. Unbelievable!!

Found it 21/7/2016 By xxxxx (Found=13 Hidden=0, as of 22/11/2016)

Attention pas trouvé même avec l aide du voisin qui savait ou elle se trouvait...

Translation: Not found even with the help of a neighbor who knew where the cache was hidden.

Found it 8/10/2016 By yyyyy (Found=399 Hidden=2, as of 22/11/2016)

tftc

Needs Maintenance 7/10/2016 By zzzzz (Found=168 Hidden=0, as of 22/11/2016)

Cache is gone.

Searched with the help of a cacher who found it before

Didn't find it 7/10/2016 By zzzzzz (Found=168 Hidden=0, as of 22/11/2016)

Cache is gone.

Searched for it with the help of a cacher who found it before

Found it 11/02/2016

This cache hasn't been found in 5 months so after checking all the PROfessional spots I picked the closest one to GZ and hung a replacement. After signing the log, that is. Hope this is okay with the CO.

Didn't find it 10/29/2016

Looked in all the PROfessional places. Found nothing

Didn't find it 10/28/2016

On our way to the Mega event with XXX. Didn't see it.

Didn't find it 10/28/2016

No luck today with this one...

Maintenance 09/11/2016

CO needs to come out and check on this one

Didn't find it 09/11/2016

No luck. Looks like its gone

Didn't find it 07/15/2016

Looked all over. Nothing

Didn't find it 07/13/2016

Seemed really obvious where it should be, but I didn't find anything 😢

Didn't find it 05/26/2016

I took a look where I thought it would be but didn't find anything I'll have to try again another day.

Another lamp post cache is brought back to life!

newbie cacher left this log on one of mine (a lampost on the top deck of a multi story parking garage)

[Caches Found] 9

Found it Found it

02/14/2015

Well we kinda found it. We found the spot but no geocache :(. According to all the pics we are in the right place but no treasure.

Then to top it off, posted a needs maintenance log. Another cacher found it the next day, before I could even get over to check on it.

:D Found it 06/28/2014

Found this while on Skype helping my dad. TNLNSL Thanks!!

:D Found it 06/28/2014

Found this while on Skype helping my dad. What a cool history lesson. TNLNSL Thanks!!

Skype and Log?? (S+L) :blink:

Never been to Guam? No problem, Dad will Skype you a find!

Premium member

Found it

I really needed this one for a double fizzy challenge that I'm working on. With all of the DNF's and my own searching I put out a new container and log. I hope it will last since muggles could actually see it. Thanks a lot for the challenge and for the cache. Giving this a favorite.

Edited by igator210

Premium member

Found it

I really needed this one for a double fizzy challenge that I'm working on. With all of the DNF's and my own searching I put out a new container and log. I hope it will last since muggles could actually see it. Thanks a lot for the challenge and for the cache. Giving this a favorite.

Wow, gives his own throwdown a favorite point! Sheesh.

Premium member

Found it

Maybe he thinks the CO will be less likely to delete his bogus log if he leaves an FP......

Premium member

Found it

Maybe he thinks the CO will be less likely to delete his bogus log if he leaves an FP......

Never thought of using FPs as throwdown insurance. BRILLIANT!

Premium member

Found it

Never thought of using FPs as throwdown insurance. BRILLIANT!

Standard fodder in our part of the world.

From a 'volunteer' trip to Thailand, the closest cache ended up being 48 km away, about 3 hours on a motorbike. No joy. Not too surprised, in that it had high Difficulty and Terrain ratings. Five years Unloved, except for the following log:

And another great adventure by the "XX". I set out on my scooter to explore some of the beautiful countryside around "YY" and also wanted to find this cache, which sounded really amazing. When I approached the cave entrance via the nearby templegrounds, I was told that I had to ask for the abbots blessing to enter the cave. I did this and was allowed to go inside but a farang is apparently such a rare sight in this part of Thailand that four monks wanted to accompany me in exploring the cave. Before we entered they said a very long prayer asking the spirits of the cave to protect us and then we went inside and walked, crawled and climbed to the other side of the cave where we turned around and went back the way we came. I tried looking for the cache but couldn't do it thoroughly as the monks were constantly around me - so I got Log permission from the owner instead. Still, I had a great time exploring this place which I would never have found without the cache and with some great company, too. Thanks!

Why didn't "I" think of 'that'! As I had gone through TWICE! [:)]

Premium Member

Caches Found 4126

Found it 04/20/2014

Back out here again. No replacement container found. Based on the new guardrail and the cache page text that says the hide is a 1.5 terrain, we knew where it should have been so we replaced this one at the base of the guardrail roughly 10 feet east of gz. Sort of a weird place to pull off at, but we didn't want to move it too far off gz.

Premium Member

Caches Found 11326

Found it 03/30/2014

I had seen [Another "Finder"] had replaced the caches so I came out to sign the logs. This one didn't get a replacement so I dropped a replacement. Tftc!

Premium Member

Caches Found 13594

Found it 04/20/2013

Stopped by to check on this one. A find for me as I never got this before adopting it from [Original Owner]. :) Did some searching and did not come up with it.

Dropped a replacement. It is now a preform. Relocated the hide slightly as well. Will update the hint.