Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:) Found it

In view of no logs here for two years, have to assume it to be missing after giving the area a good search. Also I see the owner has not been active since 2010 so I replaced this hide as per the description. Co-ords maybe slightly off. Hope this is good with the owner. Signed log. TFTC.

:blink:

By someone who has over 7500 finds

:) Found it

In view of no logs here for two years, have to assume it to be missing after giving the area a good search. Also I see the owner has not been active since 2010 so I replaced this hide as per the description. Co-ords maybe slightly off. Hope this is good with the owner. Signed log. TFTC.

:blink:

By someone who has over 7500 finds

It's all about the numbers. Or a Challenge cache they are chasing.

:) Found it! This was an interesting one. Came out here with xxxx to get Delorme page xx. We had not realized that (previous finder) took the ammo can with her. We contacted (previous finder) who will then contact the owner and sign us in. Thank you so much for bringing us to this amazing view. Took a picture.

No the cache owner is not signing your name to the log of a cache that is currently sitting on a shelf in his house. Cache owner made a huge mistake and removed the cache, but forgot to archive it. It was one of a series that was removed and archived shortly before the log above, but this one was inadvertently missed. CO error or not, the fact remains that there was no cache there to find.

I don't want to hijack anyone's thread but I thought this is a good thread for information as this is regarding a find or not. The question I ask is if you are team caching with a fellow cacher does one retrieve the cache sign it then put it back and then the other repeat the process for themselves or both can log. The other one is if for instance I solve a puzzle cache and I give the solved coords to a fellow cacher to retrieve and sign can that be logged as a find for both as both were one way or another involved in finding it. This is a question I have been trying to find an answer to for a few weeks now as there is alot of arguments in my local caching community over it being a legal find or not.

If you were at GZ and signed the log, or if your mate signed for both of you, then the find is legitimate.

If you were at home when your mate went to GZ and found the cache then it is not, in my opinion, legitimate.

However, it is your game, your ethics and your score. My opinion shouldn't matter to you.

2.png Geocacher

TFTC! I believe we found the original log and container.

[uploaded image of original log with appropriate sigs]

2.png Throwdowns R Us

We have had this on our to do list for a while. We gave it as thorough of a search as we could. Lifting and looking. We finally gave up and replaced cache at gz as confirmed with 3 gpsrs. Tftc

2.png CacheSeeker

Stopped for this one on our way home. With some guidance and some searching, the cache was in hand soon afterward. I am happy to report that the cache and the log are dry and in great shape. Thanks.

This was on a puzzle cache that had an ongoing story - each finder was supposed to take two words from the cache and write the next part. It had been going on since 2005, but I guess when the rules changed about doing "something extra" pretty much everyone stopped contributing to the story. There were a lot of logs like this one, or ones that said they would post a story later and never did. Which was a shame - it was a lot of fun!

Found it

Cleaning up the puzzle folder this was in it although it doesn't require any work. It so happened that this was #2800 for me. Definitely wouldn't liked to find this in the winter as the PI is not very friendly this time of year. Not much of a writer so I'll just log the found it....thanks

New cache published a few days ago.

:unsure: Note

We also took about 10 photos of the tree does that mean we can log a find????

:) Found

We dont found a box by the Tree but we hoppe a Photolog is Ok.

Thank you for showing us this very old Tree.

Coordinate Update, encoded :blink:

:( DNF

Well we spent over a hour looking at this tree and using the spoilers we worked out that the cache is gone

TFTH

Publish Note

Another one. No quote as it's too cumbersome per mobile phone.

Text in cache description (rephrasing): no photologs! This cache will be archived by the reviewer if people log finds without finding the cache.

Last few logs various DNF and photologs. Last log a throwdown (piece of paper and a magnet, nothing else)

Text in cache description (rephrasing): no photologs! This cache will be archived by the reviewer if people log finds without finding the cache.

Last few logs various DNF and photologs. Last log a throwdown (piece of paper and a magnet, nothing else)

Isn't the CO getting ahead of himself by putting that job on the reviewer? Seems to me he can archive it himself if people are logging it that way...and he's the only one who can really confirm that anyway.

To me counting a find means having a log book in my hands. If my GPS says I am 0m away I do not trust it. My GPS could be off or the owner's GPS could have been off. I did log one cache that I didn't actually see and I would not complain if my claim was disallowed, but I think I deserve it. Check out my log for "Maid on the lake" GCX240 and see if you disagree. It is located on Vancouver Island.

To me counting a find means having a log book in my hands. If my GPS says I am 0m away I do not trust it. My GPS could be off or the owner's GPS could have been off. I did log one cache that I didn't actually see and I would not complain if my claim was disallowed, but I think I deserve it. Check out my log for "Maid on the lake" GCX240 and see if you disagree. It is located on Vancouver Island.

You neither found the cache nor lived up to your own standards.

Nope, you don't deserve the find--you didn't find it. You get points for effort, but no Found It.

As I said. I know this smiley will soon disappear and no longer be counted. This doesn't bother me cause I don't really care about the numbers. Sorry if the post offended you.

As I said. I know this smiley will soon disappear and no longer be counted. This doesn't bother me cause I don't really care about the numbers. Sorry if the post offended you.

Your post didn't offend me. You invited anyone viewing your post to see if they agreed or disagreed with regard to you deserving a find.

My personal view is that if to you, counting a find means having a log book in your hands, and you don't really care about the numbers I cannot fathom why you logged a find on this cache, or why you're waiting for the CO to delete your log.

Nope, you don't deserve the find--you didn't find it. You get points for effort, but no Found It.

I agree. So I guess my next step is contacting the reviewer about having this cache site removed. The owner has a long history of not being contactable.

Your post didn't offend me. You invited anyone viewing your post to see if they agreed or disagreed with regard to you deserving a find.

My personal view is that if to you, counting a find means having a log book in your hands, and you don't really care about the numbers I cannot fathom why you logged a find on this cache, or why you're waiting for the CO to delete your log.

You have a good point. I guess I just wanted a record of a very challenging two day adventure. I'll send the reviewer the information and let him make the decision about this cache.

Just a reminder that this thread isn't the appropriate place for debates about whether or not a "find" is truly a find. From the OP:

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

If you want to debate, then there's a separate topic for that: Found It = Didn't Find It - Discussion thread.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Isn't the CO getting ahead of himself by putting that job on the reviewer? Seems to me he can archive it himself if people are logging it that way...and he's the only one who can really confirm that anyway.

I'm not sure the CO is saying that. I'm taking it that he is saying not to photolog because doing so may get the cache archived by a reviewer who may be watching it. If so, i'm still not sure what the problem is unless the CO hasn't the backbone to delete the improper find logs.

You have a good point. I guess I just wanted a record of a very challenging two day adventure. I'll send the reviewer the information and let him make the decision about this cache.

You could remove the "found" log or change it to a "note" as you're still claiming the find :ph34r:

Now, back on topic.

Mooie lokatie, hier komt men anders niet snel. Maar ik sluit me wel aan bij de anderen mbt de toestand van de cache.

Deksel is er nog en twee kapotte buisjes maar geen logrol meer.

Dringend onderhoud nodig dus.

Translates to: Nice location, wouldn't come here otherwise. I agree with previous finders.

Cover is still here and two broken tubes but no log.

Same cache:

Gevonden. Jammer genoeg is de container stuk en is er geen logboek meer.

Found. To bad container is broken and logbook is gone.

BTW, the glass container was broken May 16th, several(7) NM logs, CO's last activity June 29th and still 7 more Found it logs since the logbook disappeared.

Found it 03/12/2015: Found the cache. Just the top, container was gone. needs a lot of work.

Found it 06/13/2015: Someone has removed this geocache

Found it 08/08/2015: Didn't find the box:(

Seeing the futility here, I posted a NM log after confirmed that it really was gone. To add to the fun, the C/O responded with an "Owner Maintenance" log (so his green wrench could counteract my red wrench, I guess), which consisted of ...

"It's looks like someon from the naberhood has removed the cache. Last time I was down there I could(n't) even find the rope. I don't think I will ever get around to replacing it. Any one is welcom to remake it. It was a tin water bottle (any water tight container that can be tied to) with a brick ried to it to hold it under, then there was a rope attached to it that lead to a rock in the water flow area ... "

I'm speechless, which is a rare phenomenon. Just ... wow. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Edited by MorWoods

Found it 03/12/2015: Found the cache. Just the top, container was gone. needs a lot of work.

Seeing the futility here, I posted a NM log after confirmed that it really was gone. To add to the fun, the C/O responded with an "Owner Maintenance" log (so his green wrench could counteract my red wrench, I guess), which consisted of ...

"It's looks like someon from the naberhood has removed the cache. Last time I was down there I could(n't) even find the rope. I don't think I will ever get around to replacing it. Any one is welcom to remake it. It was a tin water bottle (any water tight container that can be tied to) with a brick ried to it to hold it under, then there was a rope attached to it that lead to a rock in the water flow area ... "

I'm speechless, which is a rare phenomenon. Just ... wow. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Time for an NA log. :)

I would not even hesitate to log an NA.

Edited by AustinMN

I would not even hesitate to log an NA.

Neither would I. I'll never understand the mentality that a geocache is supposed to live on forever, no matter how poor its condition and no matter how long the CO has left it abandoned. I'd almost rather see a SHORTER time span for some sort of required communication from the CO before it gets archived. I understand action can sometimes take several weeks, but there's rarely a good excuse for emails/logs to go ignored for more than a week or two.

MassiveFinder1 Found it 10/08/2014 Found with MassiveFinder2 today. TFTCs

MassiveFinder2 Charter Member Found it 09/19/2014 Visiting from Denver. Enjoyed the hunt. Left a 2ml in the tree as a temporary replacement until the cache owner can check on this one. SL. Thanks!

CacheOwner Premium Member Temporarily Disable Listing 09/17/2014 needs a new hide

HonestCacher1 Premium Member Needs Maintenance 09/17/2014 Looks like this one is gone.

HonestCacher2 Premium Member Needs Maintenance 09/13/2014 I am the last person to request this for an otherwise DNF, but this one needs replaced, moved, or archived. The National Guard went for the scorched earth tactic on this one. NOTHING here, future parking lot.

HonestCacher3 Premium Member Didn't find it 08/31/2014 It's not there.

HonestCacher4 Member Didn't find it 08/09/2014 We weren't able to make the find on this one today.

HonestCacher5 Premium Member Didn't find it 08/08/2014 Looks like the bulldozers ate it.

HonestCacher6 Premium Member Didn't find it 08/08/2014 This one is definitely gone. All the construction taking place has destroyed the area. Hopefully it will be replaced in the near future. Thanks CacheOwner for the effort of hiding this one even though it is probably gone.

HonestCacher7 Member Needs Maintenance 08/03/2014 Ummm.... The area where the cache should be is getting excavated at the moment. There's bulldozers here right now as I type. :(

HonestCacher8 Premium Member Didn't find it 07/28/2014

So the nine logs before the two MassiveCachers found it (supposedly together, although logged nearly three weeks apart) were:

5 DNFs

3 Needs Maintenance

1 Temporary Disable

But through the magic of throwdowns, the MassiveCachers were able to up their counts. So take that, National Guard! You can't stop the MassiveCachers!

MassiveFinder1 Found it 10/08/2014 Found with MassiveFinder2 today. TFTCs

MassiveFinder2 Charter Member Found it 09/19/2014 Visiting from Denver. Enjoyed the hunt. Left a 2ml in the tree as a temporary replacement until the cache owner can check on this one. SL. Thanks!

CacheOwner Premium Member Temporarily Disable Listing 09/17/2014 needs a new hide

HonestCacher1 Premium Member Needs Maintenance 09/17/2014 Looks like this one is gone.

HonestCacher2 Premium Member Needs Maintenance 09/13/2014 I am the last person to request this for an otherwise DNF, but this one needs replaced, moved, or archived. The National Guard went for the scorched earth tactic on this one. NOTHING here, future parking lot.

HonestCacher3 Premium Member Didn't find it 08/31/2014 It's not there.

HonestCacher4 Member Didn't find it 08/09/2014 We weren't able to make the find on this one today.

HonestCacher5 Premium Member Didn't find it 08/08/2014 Looks like the bulldozers ate it.

HonestCacher6 Premium Member Didn't find it 08/08/2014 This one is definitely gone. All the construction taking place has destroyed the area. Hopefully it will be replaced in the near future. Thanks CacheOwner for the effort of hiding this one even though it is probably gone.

HonestCacher7 Member Needs Maintenance 08/03/2014 Ummm.... The area where the cache should be is getting excavated at the moment. There's bulldozers here right now as I type. :(

HonestCacher8 Premium Member Didn't find it 07/28/2014

So the nine logs before the two MassiveCachers found it (supposedly together, although logged nearly three weeks apart) were:

5 DNFs

3 Needs Maintenance

1 Temporary Disable

But through the magic of throwdowns, the MassiveCachers were able to up their counts. So take that, National Guard! You can't stop the MassiveCachers!

Well now...they don't get their high numbers by posting DNFs, do they?

Not to disparage the high-number types, but I think if you are aiming for the high teens and up, you'd be well-advised to bring plenty of throwdown containers with you and know not to spend an inordinate amount of time (more than two minutes) actually looking for the cache.

I'm sure if I looked over all the previous 58 pages I'd find this is not unique, but I just got a find log my very complex 13 stage multi cache that they had found stage one. Guess they thought it was a 13 cache power trail.

Send them a friendly email and tell them they're 7.7% of the way to a smiley!

:rolleyes:

2.png Found it 09/26/2015

Came up here to get some fishing in but had to do some geocaching first. Found the lid but no bottle. Thanks for the hide!

2.png Found it 08/21/2015

Found with xxx. Lid part is still here. I thought we had a spare cache bottle in the cache-mobile but we didn't. Sorry!

TFTC nice view and section of the park ?

22.png Temporarily Disable Listing 08/01/2015

Have to make new one, cache went missing. Sorry everyone

3.png Didn't find it 07/31/2015

Found lid, no bottle.

At least some people know what a DNF is...

2.png Found it 09/10/2015

Well, I found the camo bag, but there was a large hole in it and nothing else. I had a look through the leaf litter, but the cache seems to have gone. Thank you for placing this here; the trees in this clearing are truly awesome!

45.pngNeeds Maintenance

Camo bag has large hole on it and there is no sign of the cache.

Owner Maintenance........................August 8, 2015

They are redoing there webpage....

They have moved the webcams to a different page...however comma this cam is not yet listed.....

I will add the link when available....so for now just take a photo and post it with your log.

Aloha and happy caching!

Since that CO's log, 15 people have taken them up on their suggestion and posted selfie pictures instead of photos from the no-longer-available webcam.

Owner Maintenance........................August 8, 2015

They are redoing there webpage....

They have moved the webcams to a different page...however comma this cam is not yet listed.....

I will add the link when available....so for now just take a photo and post it with your log.

Aloha and happy caching!

Since that CO's log, 15 people have taken them up on their suggestion and posted selfie pictures instead of photos from the no-longer-available webcam.

There is a now archived webcam cache close to us that has 96 "found it" logs where selfies were posted between the time the webcam was removed and the local reviewer found out - over a 15 month periodand several needs maintenance logs.

Premium Member

Found it

04/18/2015

Holy heavy muggle area batman!! We looked all over the tree but couldn't find it anywhere. Kids and I were headed to Walmart and my daughter goes "hey I think those people are geocaching" lol. Saw a family feeling around the electrical box while we were stopped at the light. Hope they found it cause we had no luck!

Edited by NanCycle
Premium Member

Caches Found 786

Found it 04/26/2014

Going to claim this one as a find & if the owner wishes to remove this post, we will come back again. Reading past logs we decided to go directly to the final stage in daylight hours. We did not find the cache box but did find the 2 lock-n-lock tabs neatly placed by what look to be a good hiding spot at the listed coordinates. We were in town for a track meet today, this hike beats the heck out of running around in circles any day! Thanks for the trip out here.

:) Found it 06 Jun 15

A butiful place I never had visit witout this cache app. I dont find the cache even lokal smugglers help us with a leider so we com up on the floor. But because I go this long way and find the place even lokal from a bit longer north dont know about, I log this a find . Thank you for taking me to this place.

Edited by FunnyNose

We found this cache today at 21:46 [:)].

During our stay in ????? we could also find some caches - this was one of them. Okay, finding is the wrong word. I wanted to log a DNF. But, as I could only translate the last logs back home, I decided to log a found it anyway, because it took me an hour to get to the location and it was my only solved mystery located in ????? and ????? and there was no indication for this (at least understandable for me...) in the logs. I hope this is okay for the owner as I could clearly spot the location where the box must have been. I needed, I can send some photos...

Personally, I'd almost be tempted to delete this one:

Found, but did not sign log.

I have deleted that type of log. (Sent them an email explaining why. They went back and signed the log before relogging online. They sent me an email thanking me for explaining the rules to them.)

I recently logged a find for a cache, that having read this thread, would probably grate some people. The cache consisted of a wooden hide concealing the container, logs and swag. Someone pilfered the internal container, but the hide was still intact. I posted two logs, one needs maintainance to alert the owner, and one found it, because I did find it. Just because it wasn't in pristine condition and the log and swag were missing doesn't, to me anyway, negate the fact that I found the cache.

A lot of the ridicule on this thread has been tossed at logs similar to what I've just described. I guess it depends on what one is getting out of the game. To me the objective is (typically) complete when you find the cache, that's the moment that brings a smile to my face. If you've a pressing need to log a DNF because your pen is dried up and you can't sign the paper log, enjoy yourself, but I'd say your taking the game too seriously for my taste.

If the cache owner disagrees with my 'found it' he can retract my smiley, I'll get over it, I still smiled when I found his cache.

Edited by Steamie

I recently logged a find for a cache, that having read this thread, would probably grate some people. The cache consisted of a wooden hide concealing the container, logs and swag. Someone pilfered the internal container, but the hide was still intact. I posted two logs, one needs maintainance to alert the owner, and one found it, because I did find it. Just because it wasn't in pristine condition and the log and swag were missing doesn't, to me anyway, negate the fact that I found the cache.

A lot of the ridicule on this thread has been tossed at logs similar to what I've just described. I guess it depends on what one is getting out of the game. To me the objective is (typically) complete when you find the cache, that's the moment that brings a smile to my face. If you've a pressing need to log a DNF because your pen is dried up and you can't sign the paper log, enjoy yourself, but I'd say your taking the game too seriously for my taste.

If the cache owner disagrees with my 'found it' he can retract my smiley, I'll get over it, I still smiled when I found his cache.

Nah, at least you found the container. That the log was missing was not your fault. Most people addressed in this thread found nada.

I have seen plenty of logs over the years where someone logged a "found it" because they found the "cover" of a pill bottle. Having found the cache myself, I know that the "cover" is either trash or the cover of someone's throwdown. The cache container was nothing like what they described, and so they found "something" but in many cases, it is not part of the cache.

A cacher places a throwdown on an archived cache, which is subsequently 'found' be three additional cachers. So, four found logs placed on an archived cache.

Found it

02/17/2015

Didn't realise this had been archived, so when I found it had gone I replaced it with a small bison of my own, but it looks like youv'e had problems with this one!! I placed it under the main part of the anchor on the left if behind it. Do what you like with the container.

On a T5 cache near me:

:) Found it but was unable to sign the log because this particular cache was up way to high. You'd need a ladder or something to get it.

:) Found it, but wowza too high for us. Didn't sign the log.

And for some reason a NM log:

Needs Maintenance

Found it but it's to high up to reach with any tool

I had a pair of logs like this on a tree climbing cache. I wrote a carefully worded and very polite email explaining to both that a big point of the cache was the climb, and asked them to consider changing their logs. One sent me a vicious response calling me all sorts of names. I would have let her log stand if she didn't change it, until I received that email. Log deleted.

On a puzzle cache:

Found it. Solved this one months ago, finally got a chance to actually go after it. After spending several minutes looking. We determand the cache was GONE. Lots of clean up has gone on. Also, noticed it had been over 1 1/2 years since anyone has logged it. Pretty much confirms the missing cache. So we replaced it with a bit smaller one Ready for the next to enjoy.

The CO of this cache is pretty particular in maintaining their caches. It wouldn't surprise me if they had checked the cache three times in that year and a half.

Edited by Coldnosed