Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

As I was reading over some old cache logs (as I am wont to do from time to time), I found these that made me SMH, as the kids say these days.

...I was prepared to replace this hide and I did. The owner hasn't signed in in a few months and wont respond to messages, so it was either throw a needs archive or keep it going for a little longer.

If you're a cacher who don't like the fact that I replaced this cache, ignore it or dnf it and move on.

And then that same log adds...

Thanks for the effort in placing and maintaining these caches so that I can get my fix for the crazy addiction I have!

This was was only slightly nonsensical...

We found the end of the road...however, there is a big NO TRESPASSING SIGN on the gate. So, we didn't actually go in, didnt feel like going to jail, after my husband danced with a bobcat!

This one was destroyed by new construction, but that didn't stop this guy from finding it!

It's under the building. So cancelled that out

And, a very succinct log on a cache that had already been reported missing several times over...

Nothing to sign

Nice one, in Dutch.

Deze ook goed gevonden,wel een probleem in de holte in de grond ontbreekt de cach, spoorloos.

"This one was found, there is a problem however, there's a hole in the ground and the cache is missing"

So I went paddling on a bayou with some friends last weekend that just happened to be a geocache paddle trail. I forgot my pen like an idiot but still logged 10 or so of the caches on the trail that I got close enough to touch - just didn't sign the log book. Would people consider that not worthy of logging a find as I did?

I plan to go back and sign them again at some point.

Have you gone back and signed them yet? :lol:

So I went paddling on a bayou with some friends last weekend that just happened to be a geocache paddle trail. I forgot my pen like an idiot but still logged 10 or so of the caches on the trail that I got close enough to touch - just didn't sign the log book. Would people consider that not worthy of logging a find as I did?

I plan to go back and sign them again at some point.

Have you gone back and signed them yet? :lol:

As a cache owner, if someone were to forget their pen, but email me a picture of the cache and/or log (or an extremely detailed description of the container, location, and hide method), I'd let the log stand. Who doesn't go on a fun paddling trip and not bring a camera or cell phone? However, if the person just said they forgot their pen, I couldn't have mercy. That's trivializing the previous finders' preparedness and effort.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Reminder, no debates. Just logs.

IE:

:) Found it! 800+ Finds

We knew exactly were it should be, but its gone too.

It seems like news hasn't spread yet that we're posting in this thread. Just got this log:

:) Found it

Found the location, found the sign ( there are not very much signs...) but did not found a NANO on the sign!

Searched with my wife together and....ther is definitly no more Nano or soething else...

But thanks for showing me this great location

I guess that's one log less on that cache, and a check is in order.

Another one (for a now archived cache)

Found it

Hier waren nog cachers , ik permitteer het mij om te schrijven dat ik hem heb gevonden ook al was hij weg maar je zag duidelijk waar hij moest zijn normaal gezien , dus een onderhoudje zou op zijn plaats zijn.

Translation:

There were other cachers here. I take the liberty to write I found it even though it was gone but you could see where it had been. Maintenance is required.

I made an executive decision that going forward I am going to claim a find on my archived caches. After all being a good cache owner I have found these caches many times during maintenance and check ups. So it only seems fair (in my books) that I claim the smiley as a just reward. If you don't like that, oh well.
I made an executive decision that going forward I am going to claim a find on my archived caches. After all being a good cache owner I have found these caches many times during maintenance and check ups. So it only seems fair (in my books) that I claim the smiley as a just reward. If you don't like that, oh well.

I kinda get where this one is coming from though. I archived one of mine when WE couldn't find it. Seven finds. #6 rehid it and we never saw it again... :unsure:

Not in a log but on a statistics page:

Most states in a day: 7 (Newfoundland and Labrador, London, Northwest England, New Jersey, Ontario, Vlaams-Brabant, Western Australia)

I know Santa can visit a lot of places in one day but this.... .

Here's a new one, perhaps the ultimate "fuggle" action:

A local cacher placed a series of 22 caches in a state park with rolling hills, covering about 4 miles of moderately challenging hiking. Several of the caches were quite tricky, stumping all local cachers that attempted the series (it took me three visits to finally find the last of the series, and so far I'm the only person to have found all 22).

Back in April a cacher (with almost 10k logged finds) passed through from Michigan on his way down to the Gulf Coast. He apparently stopped here for a day or two and claimed that he found all 22 of the caches in this series with this nonchalant copy & paste:

"Starting our day off with a little hike before we head South again looking for more sunshine. Thanks for the cache and the fun we had doing it. "

It turns out that he did have a pen on him long enough to sign the first cache ... but somehow, his name doesn't show up on ANY OF THE OTHER 21 CACHES. He claimed every one of 'em. Fuggle?

Oh, man, I really hope I can log this as a find. I've been waiting to get back to PA and grab this one since last May! This morning, I got up there, opened the child-proof (and, today, nearly adult-proof...lol) container, reached in to get the log....and couldn't get the bag out!!!! NOOOOO!!! Oh the humanity!!!!!! I pulled as hard as I dared on the bag without tearing it, but I'm afraid the log (and whatever else is in there) is a solid ball of ice and it did NOT want to come meet me and my pen without me causing potential damage. If the CO wants to delete my find, I understand, but, man, I was so there!!! LOL

Yes, LOL. Actually, the posted photo shows he got part of the bad out. Perhaps he could have signed the bag - or inserted a new piece of paper to serve as a new log?

On the same cache:

Experienced Cacher #1 with 4376 finds

"Found it"

When I had downloaded this cache it was still active, however, after arriving to GZ and and finding an empty "hanger mechanism", I found out that the cache had been disabled.

Experienced Cacher #2 with 7698 finds

"Found it"

We found the bracket and the fastener but no cache container. Search all around but nothing to be found. Signed the bracket.

B.

On the same cache:

Experienced Cacher #1 with 4376 finds

"Found it"

When I had downloaded this cache it was still active, however, after arriving to GZ and and finding an empty "hanger mechanism", I found out that the cache had been disabled.

Experienced Cacher #2 with 7698 finds

"Found it"

We found the bracket and the fastener but no cache container. Search all around but nothing to be found. Signed the bracket.

B.

Signed the bracket :lol: Insult to injury.

Edited by fluoro

So, here's the one I got the other day looking through logs on a crazy multi/puzzle cache.

Found this with a group doing the 'I see dead people at the lake' multi. We stopped here to get the next stage and (high level cacher) saw some divers getting ready to go in. So he went over to talk to them and one of the divers had retrieved the brick twice before. They went diving and we went hiking. When we came back they were on their way out of the water with what we needed!! We sat down and solved the puzzle and realized we walked right by where the final was earlier. We thanked the divers and went off to the final. Once at GZ we all knew where it was but none of us wanted to.....well, don't want to give it away. Someone called a PAF to confirm what we knew and finally we did it. Very nicely done cache. It was our lucky day and the timing was perfect to get the brick. Otherwise, I'd never had gotten this cache. Thanks for the fun. I would have never known there was a plane and a boat underwater nearby.

This is a double five-star cache which required me to squeeze my 6'4, 250lb frame into a very small area of a sunken airplane and search in zero visibility silty conditions for the object required for the puzzle to find the second stage. This actually made me think way less of all the cachers who were in this group, it's a five-star terrain for a reason.

So, here's the one I got the other day looking through logs on a crazy multi/puzzle cache.

Found this with a group doing the 'I see dead people at the lake' multi. We stopped here to get the next stage and (high level cacher) saw some divers getting ready to go in. So he went over to talk to them and one of the divers had retrieved the brick twice before. They went diving and we went hiking. When we came back they were on their way out of the water with what we needed!! We sat down and solved the puzzle and realized we walked right by where the final was earlier. We thanked the divers and went off to the final. Once at GZ we all knew where it was but none of us wanted to.....well, don't want to give it away. Someone called a PAF to confirm what we knew and finally we did it. Very nicely done cache. It was our lucky day and the timing was perfect to get the brick. Otherwise, I'd never had gotten this cache. Thanks for the fun. I would have never known there was a plane and a boat underwater nearby.

This is a double five-star cache which required me to squeeze my 6'4, 250lb frame into a very small area of a sunken airplane and search in zero visibility silty conditions for the object required for the puzzle to find the second stage. This actually made me think way less of all the cachers who were in this group, it's a five-star terrain for a reason.

Not doing a cache but claiming the find is a no-no. Getting help or using a team approach is usually accepted (it happens with tree climbing caches every day). And it's been said in the forum that if there's a way to brute force a puzzle cache, that's the CO's error.

:) Found it! 11,000+ Finds

When i got here and read that this tree is over 700 years old, i couldn't bring myself to climb it. I saw what previous cachers were referring to hanging from a pink string up above, but seeing as how it isn't a proper container anyhow, i opted to not retrieve the cache. As i had offered to help maintain the cache in an earlier email to the cache owner, i did place a bison tube at this location to highlight the tree, but it does not require the cachers to climb this magnificent oak. Will email the cache owner with info soon.

Thanks for bringing me to this amazing tree.

Thanks so much for the cache !

Justifying the throw-down, or in this case maybe it's a 'throw-up'?

When i got here and read that this tree is over 700 years old, i couldn't bring myself to climb it.

You didn't climb it because in 700 years this tree has NEVER seen a bad day in its life, such as inclement weather (too hot, too cold, high winds, lightning), animals, birds, pests, disease..etc ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Disappointed to report that this has gone missing. Having located the correct hint item, I scaled the heights, spotted the place where the cache had been and wondered how on earth do I reach that?? This is a 5/5 for a reason! I managed to swarm across and was able to inspect the band as can confirm that no cache is attached. I will upload a photo.i hope that the CO doesn't mind me claiming this as a find, simply because I would have signed it had it been there. Thanks for the great series.

When i got here and read that this tree is over 700 years old, i couldn't bring myself to climb it. I saw what previous cachers were referring to hanging from a pink string up above, but seeing as how it isn't a proper container anyhow, i opted to not retrieve the cache. As i had offered to help maintain the cache in an earlier email to the cache owner, i did place a bison tube at this location to highlight the tree, but it does not require the cachers to climb this magnificent oak. Will email the cache owner with info soon.

Found it 07/19/2015 I found the bison tube log!

And earlier on the same cache:

Found it 05/24/2014

Out doing a couple tree-climbing caches with xxxx. I climbed up with no problem, but as noted, what appears to be the intended cache is not anything that opens or holds a log. I did disconnect the object and examine it - but it is exactly what it appears to be. I returned the object and scrambled up a couple different routes with no further success. Attaching a photo.

Edited by knowschad

I wonder what his tree climbing gear is? Does he use an axe to cut notches? Otherwise, I doubt we would do any more damage to the tree than a large cat (think puma) or bear might do.

If I was the CO, I might post that the next to find gets a free bison tube as a reward.

Skye.

I wonder what his tree climbing gear is? Does he use an axe to cut notches? Otherwise, I doubt we would do any more damage to the tree than a large cat (think puma) or bear might do.

If I was the CO, I might post that the next to find gets a free bison tube as a reward.

Skye.

Hey wandillup sorry! I actually accidently clicked it when I was checking it out, however I was on lombongan the last few days and wish I had found it!!

Got this one recently and was quite bemused to read the "accidentally" clicked it bit and that they wished they could have found it.

This was the first find for the cacher and given its location was immediately doubtful of the veracity of the log and the very brief one word found it log!

From the same person, same day:

Not thare

Gone

Same person, another cache:

Me and my friend hid this

Sorry wrong place hidden

We will fix the coordinates

And another cache:

We look for a while but we could not find it there was a small little green thing think I thought it was it but I don't now
There was a large crowd looking for this cache, we got to gz and there was very recent widening of the spur road and lots of trees town. We looked high and low and over and under, but it isn't there. One of the cachers replaced the cache in a winter friendly style near GZ, hope that's okay with you. We went to the railroad and tramway with a group today, lots of fun. Thanks.

That's called a throwdown. You did not find the cache.

Solved the puzzle some time ago and was keeping for any challenges etc. Needing a cache as a calendar filler but knowing the cache was archived, I visited in the hope that the container was still present but alas it was gone. I managed another cache for the calendar but a message with the CO who has kindly allowed a found log to be made. Many thanks.

This on a cache archived April 12th and this "found" log May 26th.

The CO allowed this as a found?? :blink:

Just in case folks don't remember the premise of this thread......(quoted from the original post)

In another thread, the topic of logging a find when the cacher really didn't find the cache was mentioned. Someone suggested it would make an interesting topic on its own. I agree.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Here's my first contribution: xxxxxxxx

Let's not get another thread locked due to disrespecting the theme of the OP.

Out clearing up some random caches along Route xx area and in XXX. Had a great time even though it was raining on and off. Managed to get 25 throughout the course of the day and went home soaked!

Cache owner is inactive. Replaced cache. Its a pill bottle-esque container. A little bigger.

New hint: Look down, not around. No need to cross over the wooden fence. It is reachable from the parking lot.

TFTC

A puzzle cache in a very popular park was stolen but the thief left a note behind in its place, describing the cache, which is odd enough as it is. But cachers following afterwards continued to log it as a find, even signing the thief's note. Here are some of the logs:

Claiming as found because we found a note where the cache should be, dated 7/25/15. Muggle described cache and took it.

16d27ea7-515a-4eee-8db0-cabfbac0e0ee.jpg

(My favorite part is the "respectfully" in the signature at the end of the note.)

This one was stolen! But the thieves left a note.

Super busy area. Tried to be sneaky as possible, but it didn't matter. Claiming the find, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying this one for a while. I will send a note to the CO.

Some of the event BAGgers solved the puzzle and signed the thief's note. CO delete this find if you deem it necessary. TFT?

After this morning's breakfast event we had a few more caches on our list.

This was loaded in the GPSr and we didn't know it had been disabled until talking with others.

We did the math and found a log sheet, at GZ, which we signed.

TNLN - SL - TFTC.

The CO has left a note that he intends to rethink this situation and probably replace the cache soon.

So we went to the cache site today and managed to scale the rocky hill without too much difficulty. There is a path slightly further on; right where the path splits in two directions that allows you to climb up rather easily without any thorns. We arrived at GZ but we couldnt find any loose rocks or a cache anywhere. Luckily we came prepared, we placed a new cache in the middle of some large rocks. It's covered from rain and hidden from sight by random muggles, as we noticed some beer cans up there. We added some spoiler pics to our log if you need a hand. Thanks for bringing us here! The views from the top are breathtaking and magnificent! We had a blast exploring, and it was awesome to log this after 2 years of inactivity.

Hey! It's only been missing for a bit over two years!

A virtual cache featuring a memorial plaque that is currently inaccessible due to building works, seems any old plaque will do or a photo of the area!

Found it Found it

07/08/2015

Found the place easily during a nice day in ** ****. Unfortunately could not find the right plaque due to the works. Made a foto log in front of another plaque nearby. Ok? Hello from germany! TFTC

Found it Found it

05/08/2015

Couldn't get to the information due to building works. A nice location , I have a photo of the area if required.

Found it Found it

04/08/2015

Had a sneaky walk to this one while the children were in The Slots! Sadly unable to see the plaque due to the building works. Maybe next year?! Tftc

Found it Found it

03/08/2015

Found the spot but quickly realised we were going to be foiled by the building work. Attached is a photo of a (but not the) plaque. Hope that's ok?

Found it Found it

02/08/2015

Same as all the others I am afraid. It is being done up which is good for the coastguard but not so good for caching.

TFTC in this beautiful area.

Found it Found it

02/08/2015

I found the place.... Hidden behind *** whatever it's in English . Instead I admit a photo of the environment, my GPS and me. And yes, I found the other plaque near by. But this was not the one I was looking for...

Found it Found it

01/08/2015

Found the information from the Ingress portal as the area was still under construction . Enjoying the views around ** ****. TFTC

Found it Found it

31/07/2015

Building work still covering up location, so pic attached instead. Hope that will suffice? TFTC ☺ #338

Found it

08/25/2015

DNF, fence is locked, no trespass sign. Based on photos we went up the stairs. Without much more to go on we were defeated in our search. Did find the adorable library that makes the trip worth it.

--Hopefully, they just mis-logged this one. It's their 1st 'find'.

After three DNFs, and two previous throwdowns, an new throwdowner came through:

Out clearing up some random caches along (area). Had a great time even though it was raining on and off. Managed to get 25 throughout the course of the day and went home soaked!

Cache owner is inactive. Replaced cache. Its a pill bottle-esque container. A little bigger.

New hint: Look down, not around. No need to cross over the wooden fence. It is reachable from the parking lot.

It was a Geocaching Lock and Lock. Now it's a pill bottle by someone who needed the find on a missing cache.