Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

On a disabled LPC:

:) Found it Throwdowner (3395 Found)

On our way to Franklin Gulf Park this morning, we stopped next door to tinkle, and then I pulled up the app and it showed this cache here. We walked over and sure enough it was missing, but to help the CO out we added a new log all nice and fresh in a new baggie, and it is safely placed in the hiding spot.

This one can be open for business again. Thanks for the cache.

Is there a container? It doesn't sound like there's a container.

On a disabled LPC:

:) Found it Throwdowner (3395 Found)

On our way to Franklin Gulf Park this morning, we stopped next door to tinkle, and then I pulled up the app and it showed this cache here. We walked over and sure enough it was missing, but to help the CO out we added a new log all nice and fresh in a new baggie, and it is safely placed in the hiding spot.

This one can be open for business again. Thanks for the cache.

Is there a container? It doesn't sound like there's a container.

Sure it does! It's safe and sound in a brand new baggie! And the log is "all nice and fresh." I hope no nay-sayers will attack this! :rolleyes:

:)Found It!

Was caching with xxxxxxx and we discovered the two stumps together, that had a lot of trample around them, and we dug out the two hollows but no cache to be found, but we did find your hiding place, so would like to claim this as a found please. Its a good hiding place, so would be nice to see that you replaced it again.

was with xxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx. Kool hiding place but needs to be replaced.

Calling this one found. xxxxx says we were in the right place, but the container hasn't been replaced yet. I believe her, she's got it

Was caching with xxxxxxx and we discovered the two stumps together, that had a lot of trample around them, and we dug out the two hollows but no cache to be found, but we did find your hiding place, so would like to claim this as a found please. Its a good hiding place, so would be nice to see that you replaced it again.

was with xxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx. Kool hiding place but needs to be replaced.

Calling this one found. xxxxx says we were in the right place, but the container hasn't been replaced yet. I believe her, she's got it

That's almost as bad as someone just taking a picture from their car that they went to the park where a cache was located, but didn't get out because of rain. (I have seen one like this)

Throw down after about 10 consecutive DNF's on a cache with over 1,300 find logs in a MAJOR Pennsylvania City. Of course the last 50 or so of those finds are on a throw down.

Found it (10,000+ find throwdowner)

It looked like this cache was in need of some help and since it is in such a lovely little park and I happened to have an emergnecy container with me I replaced it today. It is now next to the east wall under a pile of rocks east of the planter. I'll post pics when I return from vacation, THX!

As a relatively new cacher, this thread boggles the mind. Although, makes me wonder if I was wrong to log a cache as found if I hadit in my hand but couldn't sign the log? On one, the log was soaked and falling apart. On the other, I forgot my pen. On both I went back later and fixed the situation, but should I not have logged them as found the first time?

As a relatively new cacher, this thread boggles the mind. Although, makes me wonder if I was wrong to log a cache as found if I hadit in my hand but couldn't sign the log? On one, the log was soaked and falling apart. On the other, I forgot my pen. On both I went back later and fixed the situation, but should I not have logged them as found the first time?

Log soaked -- not your fault, yes you found it, possibly mention it in your log or issue a NM.

Forgot your pen -- try to make some mark, with mud or grass or something --- and yes, you did find it.

Log soaked -- not your fault, yes you found it, possibly mention it in your log or issue a NM.

Forgot your pen -- try to make some mark, with mud or grass or something --- and yes, you did find it.

After being in the same situation a few times I make a "kit" that I keep in my car. It is a quart size ziploc bag with some extra logs and bags. If I find a damaged bag or wet log I will replace it. I also keep a couple of extra pens in it for the inevitable time that I don't have one.

After being in the same situation a few times I make a "kit" that I keep in my car. It is a quart size ziploc bag with some extra logs and bags. If I find a damaged bag or wet log I will replace it. I also keep a couple of extra pens in it for the inevitable time that I don't have one.

That's exactly what I did. I now have a small camera bag with spare logs, pen, flashlight, tweezers, etc. Of course, I put this together before I went for the one where I forgot my pen, but it was in my car and I didn't drive to that one. :P

Member #3 04/10/14

783 finds

Needs maintenance

There may now be 2 containers here following a recent throwdown - maybe the owner could check on the original?

Throwdown cacher 29/09/14

8508 finds

Found it

Had a good look for this one without success. Noticed CO has not been on this site for over 2 years so left a replacement 35mm and new log in the tree under a white stone to keep this one going. SL TFTC

Member #5 14/09/14

156 finds

Did not find

The cache is missing

Member #4 6/09/14

332 finds

Did not find

Found GZ, followed the hint, but came up with nothing. Will try again, if it's still there!

Member #3 24/05/14

783 finds

Did not find

Came on foot from Gwennap via public footpaths across fields, had a good rummage around but failed to find the cache.

Our GPS indicated GZ as in the field rather than on the path, but we found items matching the hint by an oak tree on the lane.

Member #2 04/01/2014

42 finds

Found it

That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.

Member #1 23/11/2013

1998 finds

Found it

A dash out on a blurry saturday, in the middle pof moving house, for a calendar tile. TFTC.

I received this "Found It" log on one of my caches a couple of weeks ago.

Wow. STF! First of all, I had no idea I would be the second to fid to this one. I was just looking for interesting caches along the way for my trip from Minnesota to Texas and this one looked like it would fit the bill. Second of all, not being from around these parts, perhaps the hardest thing for me was trying to figure out where to park. Eventually I found the right access point and I was on my way.

Once at the GZ, I groaned because, like, there could be millions of places to hide a cache here. My GPSr was frozen on a number and didn't want to budge so I put the useless thing away and started looking at things. I mean, I really started looking at things. Finally I spotted something out of place and had the cache in hand! Great container! This one earns a fav point for lots of reasons. TFTC!

This was just after a group of caters took a trackable of mine and left TFTC logs on sixteen different caches in my area.

I know I'm just nutty, but I always get a little miffed when folks confuse the summit register for a mountain for the cache. This particular cache is a tough 3rd class scramble, GC1DY6K.

2.png Found it

09/13/2014

I'm going to claim this one as I made it to the top but had neglected to load exact co-ordinates for geocache. I did sign a log in the tippy-top rock cairn, but too tired and too many folks on top to move around a lot safely while looking for the actual cache box. Like I said, I did leave a signature.

One of toughest hikes I've ever done. Not being in great shape didn't help. Could hardly move the next day. Still, I might climb it again. Next scheduled group climb is to the massif. May do that one and wave at the SRE cache from across the way.

Great day. 16 hikers started and 16 (including some beginners) made it to the top. I got up the last pitch OK without ropes and generally found good hand holds although a bit of a stretch at times. Glad someone showed me the way as I probably would not have tried some of the exact ways we went.

Again....GREAT DAY

Nope, the summit register is not the cache, which is a good 50ft away in this case. Why not write a note? I can be happy that you visited this great mountain top, but find the cache... not at all.

:)Found It

We'd seen the photographs of this one and so it was a little disappointing when was arrived and found the long pole in two pieces on the ground. The earth movements looked very recent and we wondered if it had fallen onto the cache and buried it. We searched every conceivable place spending a lot of time trying to locate it but in the end we were left certain it has either gone or is lost for good due to the collapse of the structure.

I'm not a fan of claiming finds on caches in this situation so if the cache owner has any doubts please let me know and I'll remove the log. Rather than leave the co to have to rush up here to check we left a micro tube under some stones by a small upright post at GZ. My friend has photos of the collapsed structure and the new hide that will be forwarded to the co shortly. When we came down the hill the cattle were surrounding the centre post in a threatening manor so I wondered if they had something to do with it's demise, or human meddling, or just rotten wood... Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. TFTC

13,000+ finds :rolleyes:

I just wonder if these same people went fishing, hooked a fish and then had it break off 10 feet from the shore would they count that as a catch.

That's probably not a real good analogy unless you come up with a single definition for catch. For tournament fishing (i.e. Bassmasters), there might be specific requirements, but someone that practices catch and release, some might actually consider a fish caught, if a fish manages to throw the hook before it was touched. In fact, if I can release the fish without touching it, all the better. As a fly fisherman I'm usually not on shore when I've caught a fish but may be standing waist deep in a river or stream.

So I guess the fishing forums have arcane debates just like the caching forums. :yikes:

Pretty much every forum in which I've ever participated has arcane debates, probably because they all have one thing in common. They're used by humans (and an occasional dog).

I used to frequent the usenet alt.flyfishing group several years ago. Yep, these kind of debates were a daily occurrence :blink: Used to be a couple guys named Tim going at it pretty strong... I miss those forums.

I just wonder if these same people went fishing, hooked a fish and then had it break off 10 feet from the shore would they count that as a catch.

That's probably not a real good analogy unless you come up with a single definition for catch. For tournament fishing (i.e. Bassmasters), there might be specific requirements, but someone that practices catch and release, some might actually consider a fish caught, if a fish manages to throw the hook before it was touched. In fact, if I can release the fish without touching it, all the better. As a fly fisherman I'm usually not on shore when I've caught a fish but may be standing waist deep in a river or stream.

So I guess the fishing forums have arcane debates just like the caching forums. :yikes:

Pretty much every forum in which I've ever participated has arcane debates, probably because they all have one thing in common. They're used by humans (and an occasional dog).

I used to frequent the usenet alt.flyfishing group several years ago. Yep, these kind of debates were a daily occurrence :blink: Used to be a couple guys named Tim going at it pretty strong... I miss those forums.

I remember at least one of the Tims. I was a very active participant in ROFF (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly) and created the charter and initiated the RFD for rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying.

Found my 99th today, so still pretty new at this. The last 3 caches were within 1/2 block of one another. The person who logged ahead of me never signed any of the logs that I could tell. On one that was really soaked (I had to take the time to dry it near the heat vent) the person wrote that the cache (log only) was in 'great' shape! It was like this for all 3. The person got his/her smiley but I couldn't find a signature on any log.

Question: do the owners ever check this & remove the online log? There is one multi in the area that the owner warned in the description that he would remove online logs that had not been logged in the cache at GZ.

:)Found It

We searched around for a long time and extending our area but there was nowhere you could hide a surviving cache. I think its only recently it has collapsed too. Perhaps the pump has finally given way to the cattle which clearly used it to rub against. We have left a replacement cache at the base of the horizontal big piece of wood now under an obvious pile of stones. Hope this is ok with the cache owner.

11,000+finds :rolleyes:

"Found it 10/16/2014

I found what I think is the container top, but everything else is gone! CO you may want to check this one! Thanks for bringing me to this location! I got the cache located at the Dr Pepper location in Dublin!"

Fortunately this cache is less than 100' from my front door so I was able to check it within hours. Surprise! The cache is in excellent condition!

I contacted the 'finder' to let them know that there were no issues. Two days of them logging other caches later with no response, I deleted the find.

I'm not upset, and since the 'finder' didn't seem too worried about the DNF (judging by the lack of response), I chose not to worry too much about deleting a false find.

Throw down after about 10 consecutive DNF's on a cache with over 1,300 find logs in a MAJOR Pennsylvania City. Of course the last 50 or so of those finds are on a throw down.

Found it (10,000+ find throwdowner)

It looked like this cache was in need of some help and since it is in such a lovely little park and I happened to have an emergnecy container with me I replaced it today. It is now next to the east wall under a pile of rocks east of the planter. I'll post pics when I return from vacation, THX!

Tourist! Can't go home without the smiley!

Got a found it log on a multi a couple months ago saying they had found stage 1 and were planning to return to get stage 2 soon. I emailed them then waited about 6 weeks to see what happened and then deleted the log. They had one other multi "find" and that one was also just the first stage of a very long and difficult multi.

Okay so I'm new to geocaching and after reading this thread I want to make sure I didn't make a mistake. I logged one as a find because I found the Velcro where the film container was supposed to be attached. The person who "found it" a week before said they saw it in the mud below the pier (no physical way to get down there). Well a week later and a few change of tides the film container was no longer in the mud below. Does it count that I found the Velcro strip is was originally attached to? Or because I didn't open the actual container I shouldn't have counted it?

Okay so I'm new to geocaching and after reading this thread I want to make sure I didn't make a mistake. I logged one as a find because I found the Velcro where the film container was supposed to be attached. The person who "found it" a week before said they saw it in the mud below the pier (no physical way to get down there). Well a week later and a few change of tides the film container was no longer in the mud below. Does it count that I found the Velcro strip is was originally attached to? Or because I didn't open the actual container I shouldn't have counted it?

Did you sign the log? If not, isn't that really a DNF?

Here's a variation on the theme, but where the finder signs the *container* with ultraviolet ink (verifiable with black light). Oh, yeah, it's not the log.... No mercy at all, huh?! :huh:

I remember the original cache. Quick find with no one around. Tried to remove the lid but could not so I marked the container with a few fluorescent marks as proof. TFTC

Well since it was on my first geocaching adventure I thought that perhaps if you found where it was hidden that it counted. I didn't realize until reading this it has to do with signing the actual log and not the actually finding of it. The person who found it before me logged it as a find even though it was no longer physically accessible. But now that I know it doesn't count I will change the status.

It's great you ask, Jexilfire!

For me it would certainly be a DNF as I did not sign the log. Mind you, we were just in Ethiopia and came home with only one found cache, and three others we could not sign the log (missing, blocked area). Cost-per-find-wise this might have been very expensive :laughing:, but we had a great time there and we enjoyed going out to the place where we could not sign two logs. People might disagree, but if we go searching for a cache and we cannot sign the log for whatever reason we post a DNF, if we don't even manage to get into the general area we post a note and/or a Needs Maintenance to inform the CO about changed conditions.

Edited by terratin

Thank you! I informed my friend who also is new to caching (we went on our first adventure together) and we will modify our logs to reflect the DNF. Luckily we actually know who's cache it is because it is maintained by our town. They set up a bunch as a way of bringing people into the town and to show off the new trail that was built. Really beautiful area and we enjoy walking there anyway. Hopefully they fix it soon so I can "find" it again. I also went back to another one that I didn't sign the log because there wasn't much room on the paper. I made my name fit :) Thank you for the answers. Although I am new I have heard about this for years and have always wanted to be a part of the community. I believe follow etiquette for anything like this is important and am glad I checked these forums (great place to learn!). Thanks again!!

True....I recently DNF'd a cache where I found a piece of Velcro.Glad I did because on a return trip we discovered the Velcro was the cache....just pealed it off and there was a log on the back.

I am trying to change the status for the cache that fell into the water. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the status from found to DNF. I even emailed the cache owner and to let them know what happened, why I made the mistake, and that as soon as I figure out how I will immediately change the status. The Velcro was definitely not the cache. There were 3 on this specific trail (it's essentially an extended pier) that were all hidden in the same type of container in essentially the same type of place. Hopefully it is fixed to so I can find it officially.

I am trying to change the status for the cache that fell into the water. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the status from found to DNF. I even emailed the cache owner and to let them know what happened, why I made the mistake, and that as soon as I figure out how I will immediately change the status. The Velcro was definitely not the cache. There were 3 on this specific trail (it's essentially an extended pier) that were all hidden in the same type of container in essentially the same type of place. Hopefully it is fixed to so I can find it officially.

You can change your log, if that is your question. Use the Edit link from within the log proper.

You cannot change the cache status. It isn't yours to change. Only the cache owner(CO), Reviewer or Lakey can do that.

I'm getting server errors when I try to do anything on Geocaching.com right now, or else I'd help. :)

EDIT: Just when I post that, it works again.

Go to the cache page.

On your log, click on the link, "View / Edit Log / Images"

Click on the little pencil icon.

In there you can change the log type.

Edited by TriciaG

I remember at least one of the Tims. I was a very active participant in ROFF (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly) and created the charter and initiated the RFD for rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying.

Yep, I miss ROFF too. You were the guy behind ROFFT huh? Small world :) Maybe I'll find a usenet client and see what's happening on there...

Edited by jwmoe1973

I am a noob. I found a couple on my first day and did not sign the physical log as I did not realize pens would not be included in the larger caches. I plan on going back and updating those logs in the near future. I now BMOP always!!!

I also marked one as found when it was not as I did fine a piece of the log. No container, no items, and no other log pieces. I took pic of log piece and placed it back. Also made note on site of issue with pic of log piece.

I am a noob. I found a couple on my first day and did not sign the physical log as I did not realize pens would not be included in the larger caches. I plan on going back and updating those logs in the near future. I now BMOP always!!!

I also marked one as found when it was not as I did fine a piece of the log. No container, no items, and no other log pieces. I took pic of log piece and placed it back. Also made note on site of issue with pic of log piece.

Based on the information I have read here I do not think it counts if the cache itself was missing. Is that correct? I'm new too and have been getting very helpful advice as to which caches count as finds versus those that do not. I recently had to change mine to DNF. But perhaps since you signed something it counts. Interested to see what experienced members say on this issue.

I'm getting server errors when I try to do anything on Geocaching.com right now, or else I'd help. :)

EDIT: Just when I post that, it works again.

Go to the cache page.

On your log, click on the link, "View / Edit Log / Images"

Click on the little pencil icon.

In there you can change the log type.

Thanks for the HELP. I wish there was a HELP link on the main page to answer simple questions such as this.

The help link is under the "Play" tab. It's there, but yeah, I agree. When I started, I wished it was up there beside "Play and the others as it's own tab.

Ha, I hadn't seen that before. I'm so used to going from Groundspeak.com, that I never noticed it.

Thanks for the HELP. I wish there was a HELP link on the main page to answer simple questions such as this.

The help link is under the "Play" tab. It's there, but yeah, I agree. When I started, I wished it was up there beside "Play and the others as it's own tab.

Ha, I hadn't seen that before. I'm so used to going from Groundspeak.com, that I never noticed it.

Ha! And I rarely log in from the Groundspeak end. I usually end up logging in from here to post or reply and then logging into GC.com :laughing: