Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

A cache with 19 favorite points, with many of the legitimate finders praising the container, gets this "found it" log from a newbie phone-cacher:

A QR sticker on the back of the sign? Lame.

The cache owner should have deleted the log, but only wrote a note:

I agree those stickers are very lame. But if that was all you found , you didn't find the real cache container.

B.

+5 :laughing:

Edited by K13

This is one of my personal favorites from a little over a year ago. I went to a cemetery cache placed by X (not the guy's name, just protecting the identity) and since he had neglected to install a new log sheet I went ahead and put a new one in for him. An hour later my log is deleted with no explanation. I emailed him, no response.

Two weeks later a puzzle cache I publish had a major flaw that I didn't catch which led to archival. X still claims a find:

Found it 07/09/2013

Takinga find since I spent time trying to solve!

Again no email even asking for permission. Didn't even solve the puzzle. Still wondering if I should delete the log.

You archived your cache on 07/08/2013 and he claimed his find the next day. Did he sign the log inside the cache? If he did, he did so after the archival and it's probably up to you whether to delete his find. But I would leave it. Maybe he didn't solve the puzzle but he was good enough to brute-force it. :)

If he didn't sign the paper log then no doubt delete it.

You archived your cache on 07/08/2013 and he claimed his find the next day. Did he sign the log inside the cache? If he did, he did so after the archival and it's probably up to you whether to delete his find. But I would leave it. Maybe he didn't solve the puzzle but he was good enough to brute-force it. :)

If he didn't sign the paper log then no doubt delete it.

Nope never signed the log, didn't solve the puzzle either unless he was extremely lucky since the puzzle was useless. I'll have to delete it.

Guess he forgot where he put it. That's easy to do with micros!

Found & signed TM. Quickest find ever! (Then again, I'm the one who hid it..) But, Definitely a must see if in the area. Fairly quick park & grab. Please let me know of any problems. Otherwise, happy hunting! 

2.png Found it

The cache is missing... but we found the velcro! TFT?$!

Which is very interesting since the cache is magnetic. There is no Velcro involved.

The Velcro was probably from the prior cacher's pants. Since the last cacher was a good citizen practicing CITO, give 'em a pass -- and a find! :unsure:

The photo posted by Lid Finder is just laying on the ground.

Honest Cacher # 1

:( Didn't find it Didn't find it

05/18/2014

Could not find cache!!! Hasn't been found since November 13

Lid Finder

Premium Member

Needs Maintenance Needs Maintenance

11/25/2013

Found lid and nothing else. Pic attached to other log entry.

Same Lid Finder

Premium Member

:) Found it Found it

11/25/2013

Found the lid, but no container/ log. Does that count?

(Photo)

7.png Needs Archived 08/17/2010

This cache requires payment for access.

The cache has never "officially been found" (container and all...)

2.png Found it 08/05/2010

Hello!

Looked for this cache for a good while, and while I found multiple bridges (no where near the coords!!) no ziplock bag (or any other geocaching apparatus) was found!

I spent over 350 Lempiras getting to the cache and back, lived through a ministorm that lasted over 30 minutes, and had to remove a fallen palm tree from the road... this was "sort of" fun...

I am logging it as a find because I was brought to the area via geocaching.

Geocaching is free!

I am not sure how this cache was ever published by the site as one needs to PAY to enter the park...

Hummmmmmm!

I'll be back! (from Canada!)

MPLC!

Hmm... Same cacher posted a 'Find' and a 'Needs Archived' for not finding the cache. And almost four years later, the cache is still active!

Found it 08/01/2014. Nice traded a football( small).

Found it. 08/01/2014 Nice traded a football( small).

Found it = Found it twice.

We had a one cacher in the area host events all the time with "bonus" caches to find. They were never publish, just little extra containers to go out in find, but you were allowed to log them on your profile. So they ended up with anywhere from one to 20 finds on a single event cache.

I DNFed this a while ago because I couldn't locate it. Guess I should have just waited for the fence, then I could get a find without logging it!

Write note 05/07/2014

Work is being done on, and you cannot access the cache at this time. The area is fenced off. My office overlooks the stamp. I'll post again when the fencing is gone.

Needs Maintenance 05/12/2014

Currently being worked on

Didn't find it 06/08/2014

All fenced off

Didn't find it 06/16/2014

Awesome cache! Unfortunately can't reach it due to construction

Found it 06/20/2014

Found it, but couldn't get to it. I read the logs about it being fenced off, but I couldn't resist going by there anyway. Happy to see the stamp is being taken care of! Will come back again to sign the log. TFTC

Write note 07/16/2014

TFTC. Cool stamp. Will come back and sign another time when not fenced off

Found it 07/16/2014

Tftc

Found it 07/21/2014

I have had this cache on my 'To Do' list for ages... My mother was an avid rubber stamper, so when I saw this cache page, I knew I had to come see it. I was very sad to see the barricades up as the feature is being renovated, but I enjoyed the journey and the memories just the same...

Found it 07/24/2014

As with previous logs, we were sorry to see the barricades up for the renovation. Here's some pics to prove we were there.

Found it 07/24/2014

Visited ...under construction so no signing of log

Didn't find it 07/31/2014

I could not get close to this cache. There is a fence around the site. Better luck next time

Found it 08/01/2014

Fenced off. As w other cachers visited and will post pictures to stamp our appearance.

Found it 08/02/2014

Fenced off as others have said.

Didn't find it 08/02/2014

Went walking after this one when I saw that the most recent log was a "Find". Wished I'd looked at the earlier logs. I'm sorry, but If I can't even get close to the cache, let along sign the log, I'm not going to log a "find". This has been inaccessible since May, perhaps it needs to be archived?

Multi fake finds.

10/03/2010 Player1 Premium Member :)Found it! (Long self-loving cut-and-paste) I will log this as a find because I did sign the nano's log sheet. But I will return when the listing is enabled to go and get part 2 (some more self love).

Has yet to return for part two.

09/09/2012 TheCoolKids Premium Member :)Found it! FOUND THE FIRST PART. NOW WE HAVE TO RETRY TO FIND THE SECOND PART. WE WERE RIGHT ON TOP OF IT BUT DID NOT FIND. :0(

Maybe they will return on the two year anniversary of this first part find.

Meh, this was probably just equipment failure not really a intentional deception or a Found It = Didn't Find It.

Meh, this was probably just equipment failure not really a intentional deception or a Found It = Didn't Find It.

Let me guess...you're their attorney. :P

Agreed that it wasn't "intentional deception." It's more like n00bish negligence -- and a no-no in any case.

Agreed that it wasn't "intentional deception." It's more like n00bish negligence -- and a no-no in any case.

Still not a Found It = Didn't Find It

No its a Found It + Found It = Found It

We had a one cacher in the area host events all the time with "bonus" caches to find. They were never publish, just little extra containers to go out in find, but you were allowed to log them on your profile. So they ended up with anywhere from one to 20 finds on a single event cache.

Not common in your part of Ohio (yes, I looked at your profile because I had a hunch), but in other parts of Ohio, think to the NE of you towards Cleveland, it's not uncommon to log 120 finds on a single event cache. A little spillover into your area, I would imagine. They found caches. They might have been 200 feet apart, and would never meet the guidelines to be listed permanently on this website, but they were caches (for lack of a better term). :ph34r:

No its a Found It + Found It = Found It

Actually it IS a found it = didn't find it ..... for the second found it!

This is the cacher's first reported find. Or is it a find??

We were at the cache but the log was not there. We found evidence that it was there. There was a string were the log would of hung. It took a while but the string was in plain sight. I was reading the comments of previous geocachers and the they said that is was easy to to get to when it was picnic time. The title is a hint :)

Sure sounds like the log wasn't signed.

On a mountain top cache with a several hour hike involved:

HikingThrowDowner :) Found it!

Hi All; Now this Geocache was right up there with what I like to do. Almost extreme geocaching. We (my hiking partner) looked for about 20 minutes for this one, but I knew before hand that it might be misplaced. I brought a new container and log sheet and placed it at the same coordinates. I met [another cacher] at GZ and [they] signed the log sheet as well. Cache info was sent to the cache owner and all should be good to go for the next hiker in this really neat area. This one gets a favorite point from me.

Thanks Again for the adventure.

[HikingThrowDowner]

Visiting TN from Denver. Can't find a cache? No problem. Throw one down and then find it - twice. Got to get those numbers somehow to get to 81000+ finds. Then post a "Thanks" for finding your own throwdown?

Double Finder Throwdown cacher

Charter Member

:D Found it Found it

07/24/2014

Visiting from Denver, This one appears to be MIA so I left a temporary replacement until cache owner can check up on it. SL. Thanks!

Double Finder Throwdown cacher

Charter Member

:D Found it Found it

07/24/2014

Visiting from Denver, This one appears to be MIA so I left a temporary replacement until cache owner can check up on it. SL. Thanks!

View Log

Honest cacher

:( Didn't find it Didn't find it

06/18/2014

If it was on the guardrail it's probably gone now. Rail got smashed

Edited by Wadcutter

Here's the throwdown post from GC89FF, the oldest unfound cache in Europe (12 yrs+). Fortunately the real cache was found and photographed soon after.

I really would have loved to find the original one. Anyway - I am not a fan of replacing caches without the owner's permission therefore I had asked the current owner of the listing if she's ok with me replacing the box if I find the location but not the cache so here it is: An airtight lunch-box with a new write in the rain logbook, some Geocaching Melbourne tags and my old Inca Kola cap which has been bought in Frankfurt and travelled to five continents including Top of Wuzhishan.

"Top of Wuzhishan" is a continent?? :laughing:

Edited by wmpastor

This thread is very interesting. As you can see I am just so much of a noob at this that I shouldn't even post. But here it goes:

My youngest daughter got me hooked just 2 weeks or so ago. When she first told me about what Geocache was and I looked at the website, the first thing I said to her was...blah this BS, I bet you money that people just say they found it to pad their stats and look good, but they did even go to the place. She told me "No way dad! You have to actually find it, get it, open it and sign the log book, or you cannot claim it as a find"!!!!!

Well, I think she is right and it is the way it should be. I have been only looking for the beginner's caches to get some experience. Even those 1/1 or 2/2 can be a bit tricky to find when you are inexperienced.

I did an earth cache yesterday and sent all the answers and the pictures to the owner. I thought earth caches would really be cool and that one did not disappoint. I will be looking for more of those in the USA.

But I agree with my daughter and most of the community here, if you don't touch it, open it and sign the log...it is not a find. It did not happen. :P

A cache with 19 favorite points, with many of the legitimate finders praising the container, gets this "found it" log from a newbie phone-cacher:

A QR sticker on the back of the sign? Lame.

The cache owner should have deleted the log, but only wrote a note:

I agree those stickers are very lame. But if that was all you found , you didn't find the real cache container.

B.

+5 :laughing:

Nice polite note by the CO, but if all he did was post that log, that newbie finder will likely never see that, as most people don't look at subsequent logs on caches they've already found.

On a D5 T5

After descending we approached the cache position. The fog was really dense at the moment and the wind even worse. We decided not to search at the rocks.

I hope it's okay only to make a photo log due to reaching this very special place. I was unlucky not to have good weather conditions.

A T5 at 4,600m is not supposed to be easy ... :unsure:

Reviewer

Temporarily Disable Listing Temporarily Disable Listing

08/29/2014

Based on the previous logs, I'm temporarily disabling this cache. When the owner checks in, if it is replaced, they can re-enable the cache by posting an 'enable' log to the cache page. If the cache owner does not contact me by posting a note on this page by September 11, I'll assume the cache needs to be archived.

(honest cacher 3)

Premium Member

Needs Archived Needs Archived

08/26/2014

Wondering if CO is paying attention.....

(honest cacher 2)

Didn't find it Didn't find it

08/02/2014

Nope!! No find here

(honest cacher 1)

Premium Member

07/16/2014

Found hook and nothing else!!

(2nd hook finder)

Found it Found it

02/12/2014

It was fun and easy to find! First time going:)

(hook finder)

Premium Member

01/14/2014

Cup hook is there, no container.

(hook finder)

Premium Member

Found it Found it

01/14/2014

Considering it found because we found the cup hook in the side of a tree which pictures in the gallery make us confident was the container site.

:) Found it

Solved this one ages ago but never gotten around to finding it. Had to drop off the daughter for a sleepover in Wolsingham and as the weather eas so nice decided to wander around and find a few more. Very peaceful and great scenery up here.

TFTC

AND

:) Fount it

One of my first Wherigo caches. Liked the questions and simple game play.

TFTC

Both 'found' on the same day - just 3,546 miles apart from each other :rolleyes:

But hey - at least they got their seven souvenirs :ph34r:

Solved this one ages ago but never gotten around to finding it. Had to drop off the daughter for a sleepover in Wolsingham and as the weather eas so nice decided to wander around and find a few more. Very peaceful and great scenery up here.

TFTC

AND

TFTC

Both 'found' on the same day - just 3,546 miles apart from each other :rolleyes:

Distance alone isn't proof that anything is amiss. I've found 2 consecutive caches on the same day that were over 4200 miles apart. ;)

TFTC

AND

TFTC

Distance alone isn't proof that anything is amiss. I've found 2 consecutive caches on the same day that were over 4200 miles apart. ;)

Congratulations - that's an impressive stat ;)

And still I'm happy to go with the balance of probabilities on this one ;)

TFTC

AND

TFTC

And it's certainly possible to find caches that are much further apart. There is a flight that leaves Beijing, China and arrives in Seattle 15 minutes earlier than when one left China.

2.png Found it08/29/2014Out doing some Geobiking in this part of Town today. This was one of several today. It is definitely MIA this cache. Plus it looks like it has been quite a while since the last time it was found, so it seems the owner is not doing maintenance on it. Therefor Iam marking this cache as a find since I was there and made the effort. Thank you! There is still construction going on at GZ!

And same cacher,

2.png

I have been to this cache on several occasions, it is MIA, so therefore Im logging it as a find for now. Thank you!

Edited by SooMukwas

About a month ago I tried a cache (pill bottle low) and posted a DNF -- "Recent landscaping work with bushes trimmed and new mulch. Mulch was piled pretty high and I won't mess with landscaping. May be gone or may be buried in the mulch. Possible too I missed it in the bush but don't think so."

Apparently I'm quite the expert as the next person "found it" and posted this -- "According to a recent log, the new landscaping had displaced the original cache. I placed a new waterproof match container, painted black, with new log, so all visiting cachers can get the smiley. Happy caching!"

This on a 5/5 following a string of some finds and more DNFs. Some of the "finds" are clearly on throwdowns, not hidden per hint; all the throwdowns, including the parts of what these guys are claiming as "finds", would be difficulty 1, the original cache is a 5/5. (I did not know that when you attempt a 5/5 that "an assured" find is dictated, oddly, I thought it was highly likely that a person would DNF a 5/5 - silly me).

45.png Needs Maintenance_by DNF=Found it!#1

Please verify that the cache is still there and available for finding. This is not only a long, hard paddle but also a difficult search, so the effort expended dictates an assured find.

2.png Found it! _ by DNF=Found it!#1

Made a valiant effort with DNF=Finder2 We battled the current and a strong head-wind for two miles from the island and finally arrived. Came alongside the pilings where the wind and current did a lot of scraping of the side of the canoe. My Garmin Oregon showed GZ to be over 20 feet out in the water. Nevertheless we searched the pilings without finding anything. Did find the rather new (no rust) cup hook with attached string/cord.

Sunburned, a bit exhausted from four hours of paddling, no dated logs by the CO to confirm that it was really there we decided that this must be a long gone cache.

It would help if CO would enter a dated Maintenance log so that future seekers could know if the cache is really there or not.

2.png Found it! _by DNF=Finder2

DNF=Found it!#1 and I decided to go after this cache after paddling to Sandfly Island with a group for the final leg of the Tamiami Trail Triathlon. We left the group at the island and paddled east into the wind and opposing tide. By the time we made it to the pilings, the tidal current was ripping past. We had a very difficult time manuvering between the pilings. After and extensive search, we finally found the remnants of the remains of the cache. It was a new, still shiny cup hook screwed into the top of the piling with a white string trailing down into the water. The cache container was gone! You can imagine our disappointment after the exhaustive trip to the location! So exhausted in fact, we paddled over to Smallwoods to rest. We still had an almost 3 mile paddle to return our rental canoe.

Thanks for the adventure!

I have sat here reading through this thread and had a good few laughs at some of the stuff people have written.

I am new to this (less than a month in) yet I still have 41 legitimate finds where I have signed the log book. If I go after it a search for a while and don't find it I log a DNF.

I just wonder if these same people went fishing, hooked a fish and then had it break off 10 feet from the shore would they count that as a catch.

I even had one that I did not realize that I needed climbing gear to get to it, I could stand there and look right at the cache but could not reach it, I did not nor would I even attempt to log that.

I even carry a notebook with me for those occasions when the log book is full, in that case I would right my name and the date at the top of a page of my notebook and leave the page in the cache to do until maintenance is done.

IMO no matter what the circumstances if your name does not go in the paper logbook in the cache then it's not a find.

Edited by larkspeed

I just wonder if these same people went fishing, hooked a fish and then had it break off 10 feet from the shore would they count that as a catch.

That's probably not a real good analogy unless you come up with a single definition for catch. For tournament fishing (i.e. Bassmasters), there might be specific requirements, but someone that practices catch and release, some might actually consider a fish caught, if a fish manages to throw the hook before it was touched. In fact, if I can release the fish without touching it, all the better. As a fly fisherman I'm usually not on shore when I've caught a fish but may be standing waist deep in a river or stream.

That's probably not a real good analogy unless you come up with a single definition for catch. For tournament fishing (i.e. Bassmasters), there might be specific requirements, but someone that practices catch and release, some might actually consider a fish caught, if a fish manages to throw the hook before it was touched. In fact, if I can release the fish without touching it, all the better. As a fly fisherman I'm usually not on shore when I've caught a fish but may be standing waist deep in a river or stream.

So I guess the fishing forums have arcane debates just like the caching forums. :yikes:

So I guess the fishing forums have arcane debates just like the caching forums. :yikes:

Pretty much every forum in which I've ever participated has arcane debates, probably because they all have one thing in common. They're used by humans (and an occasional dog).

This an almost find = did not find

Found it:

'Got there and looked for quite a bit Was about to replace cache when we finally came across it upside down but quite close to posted cooridinates.'

Original found close to coordinates....huh who woulda thought. :ph34r:

Ive logged finds on nanos without signing them. ive had a couple of my finds disappear. Lifes too short to go looking at logbooks to see if people physically signed them and im not gonna lose any sleep over it... find count is not a contest for me. In the future ill sign them all though.

7.png 09/06/2014 Needs to be put to rest. Too many 'velcro finds'.

I won't list them all - there are SEVENTEEN consecutive velcro finds on this thing, one DNF in that string, a couple of people logging both finds

2.png No container 2.png Found attachment, nothing else)

and NM logs.

Edited by Isonzo Karst