Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

If you help a friend plant a geocache, Is it fair to get FTF?

How can you find something you helped to hide? I wouldn't even claim a find in that situation.

Others will say it is OK to claim a find, but only after some others (like the real FTF) have made the find.

Found it - Found wire, cache missing!! Does that count??!!

Found it - Found the wire! Does that count?!?

Found it - Ditto

Found it - Only found wire

Didn't find it - Found what I assume to be the fastener (wire around a branch), but alas, could not find the cache

container.

Needs Maintenance - second time looking and still no joy CO may need to check this one to insure that it has not been muggled.Didn't find it did not find cache, right on top of coords

Found it - This one was on the ground. It's holding wire was broken.

Found it - Cache gone found where it belongs.

Found it - Obviously we found where the cache belongs...even though it is not there.

Found it - Sign broken and laying on ground, cache is gone

Didn't find it - Tried to fix the broken sign. Didn't see it anywhere. Thanks for the hunt tho!

:D Found it

TFTC

Met caretaker. Replaced cache and log. All should be good now.

Except the cache wasn't missing. This is an off-set puzzle cache. This Throwdown Cacher only went to the starting location and threw down a cache. They either never tried solving the puzzle or they never read the clues to solve the puzzle. By throwing down a container this placed 2 containers within 100 ft of each other - the throwdown cache and the real cache.

Looking for a vacation destination, I came across a cache which is near an airport, but located in such a way there's (seemingly) almost always lots and lots of people sitting on the hiding place. This means actual finds are few and far apart and most cachers log a 'photolog'-find. As the CO accepts those logs (and actually encourages those openly in the description), you also get quite a number of people not even bothering to go to GZ anymore and juts log when they're at the airport...

In March and April this cache was logged as Found 17 times. Of those only 1 is a genuine find. Two are ambiguous worded and could be real finds (but I assume they aren't) and the other 14 are blatent 'no time too crowded here's a picture of the general area'-finds. A selection:

:)Found it

I looked a little bit arround, but did not find the cache...

unfortunatly we had to fly back after a wonderful week in paradise ...

Leider war nicht viel Zeit, da wir noch unseren Wasserflieger kriegen mussten. Daher können wir nur den Cache durch ein Foto loggen, da es dort vor Muggels wimmelte und der Flieger nicht auf uns warten wollte.

There were many locals all around and not moving from the seats in order to have a good look. This was the best vacation ever though!

Found while waiting for homebound plane.

Some of the seats were taken, and of course the one closest to GZ. In fact, two guards were sitting on it.

We made a brief search of the available seats but found nothing. Photolog it is then.

After amazing two weeks on Some Island the time between arriving at the airport and check-in to our flight home was to short for searching.

Before check-in we tried to search for this one, but we found no box and it was too crowded here to search for a longer time!

So we log with the picture!

Arrived here on the airport island for our 2 week holidays on Some Island :-) We wanted to find this cache, but unfortunately we had no time between our international flight and the connection flight with the water airplane. So here is an image of our water airplane ready for takeoff to Some Island ;-) TFTC

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

I will try not to make this too long. I live in Iowa. There is a cacher in this state who is relentless about claiming caches he did not find. I have had him do this to several of my caches. He said he found them but didn't. I only found out about it because the person who was with him admitted it to me. What he did was throw down a new container with a new log and sign it and claim it as found when he never found it in the first place. He did that to three of mine in one day. These caches had never been reported as not found before. I am very faithful about maintaining my caches as they are all local and easy to take care of. He has thousands and I mean thousands of finds so you know how he gets those numbers, just by claiming to find ones he has never found. I also had it happen to me with a different cacher when the the container was right there where it was supposed to be. I went there right away and retrieved his container and disposed of it as soon as a cacher reported that there were two containers there and he didn't know which one was the real one. On a trip to Oklahoma I looked to see if there were any caches in the area and when browsing through some of the online logs I saw that a geocacher had been asked to check on his caches by the administrator since there had been multiple containers reported for several of his. When I saw this I decided to look back in the logs on these geocaches to see if there was a familiar name there and guess who was there at all of the ones that had multiple containers??? You guessed, Mr. Iowa geocacher with thousands of finds! Now the owner of these caches was being asked to go back and check on these multiple containers because of a greedy numbers grubber. To make it simple. If you want to play the game, play by the rules! If you don't find it, you don't find it!! It can't be any more simple than that. To throw down a new container because you don't find it is cheating. If you are replacing a damaged one that is being thoughtful. Before searching for a geocache check to see if it has been found recently, If it has not then don't bother with it but don't report finding it if you didn't. Just because you don't find it doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe just maybe you are not perfect and you didn't find it!

Here's a great one! Webcam from 2002. Three valid finds before the webcam went down. Since then, it's had 430 bogus logs!

Archived by a Lackey in 2011 for having over 400 bogus finds. That doesn't stop some cachers! Hey! One of them even gave it a favorite point! It is now locked.

Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken 04/13/2014

Found while out with a bunch of unruly cachers. Love the places round here. Would love to see these out again.

Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken 04/12/2014

Visiting (xxx) for the weekend and he had organised for a day out with some exploring and a bit of caching with us to go get some webcam caches.

Went to (abc) and got the one there, meet some lovely people while waiting for it to be captured. Little caching elsewhere and then made our way to here. While he set up I went and explored some more of the stones and then met the group while picture was taken.

Afterwards a few of us went to the café at national trust place and sat and chat. Lovely to meet you all

Came out after work to meet up with a group of cachers determine to give this one last hurrah

Joined the group and posed patiently while (xxx) got his camera into the correct position (using the old bracket as a guide) and took the requisite snap

This cache was claimed on 12th April when a group of cachers came together for one last chance of claiming this unique type of geocache.

I contacted the CO awhile ago to ask for persmission to claim this Webcam cache before it gets locked down and do it with some proper style. I had discovered that mobile phones can be turned into a mobile webcam thanks to mobile data and the use of an IP address and streaming directly to the internet.

Now I had practised the technology out between my phone and laptop at home but mobile data can be a pain if you don't know what signal is like. Thank you for those when putting it into action when it doesn't run smoothly, as we discovered previously in the day. As you can see from attached picture.

I had an extendable arm that I attached the mobile to and carefully placed into the location we believed where the original webcam once would have been thanks to the still in place bracket. As the mobile was mine I took the risk and so am not in the photo, but my trusted laptop is on the wall. On a delayed connection, once picture was ready, a quick screen capture was done, and then file saved.

On Hearing about this trip I couldnt resist joining the others

This is such a stunning area and I never need an excuse to walk around

I joined (others)

Logged with the kind permission of the cache owner

Many thanks for originally placing this cache

TFTC!

Fav Point Given

done this as a group today.

decided to come to this little gathering just for this webcam cache and ended up having a good ol natter with friends old and new.

Met up with some fellow (xxx) Cachers to re-create our own web cam. A real shame this cache no longer survives in the original format.

Done as a group with a portable webcam.

Full log soon

Photo There's me

Edited by Harry Dolphin

That is so discouraging to think so many dishonest geocachers are out there. I reported the Iowa geoacacher to the Iowa administrator and as far as I know no one ever did anything about it. I emailed him and told him to stay away from any geocaches owned by me but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

One person actually told me they were sure he wasn't being dishonest that he was just trying to be helpful! Helpful for what? How ridiculous.

Had one on one of my caches the other day I was stumped because there is no where for it to "fall" too plus I checked it and it was right there.... wonder what they think they saw?

Found it

04/11/2014

Found it but had fallen so we couldn't reach it );

Maybe they fell down.

falling_down-2145.gif

Had one on one of my caches the other day I was stumped because there is no where for it to "fall" too plus I checked it and it was right there.... wonder what they think they saw?

Found it

04/11/2014

Found it but had fallen so we couldn't reach it );

Maybe they fell down.

falling_down-2145.gif

Well now I never thought of it like that :laughing:

Walked back to cache today after solving puzzle a few months ago.Made the 1 mile round trek to get this cache.Deb went even though she had a bad case of the flu. We walked back to gz and I got down and looked for the cache,what we found was a plastic golden egg with a note inside that read...."Congratulations on finding the golden Egg bring to Mr. Fishbein for your reward.... So not wanting to have walked this far for "Nothing" we scoured the area for 45 minutes.....I wrote the last one to find this jdawg and ask if what it was and where...he responded under concrete ammo box....so after contacting c/o and asking for permission to log being cache was missing. I got a response saying...Hi,

Thanks for the note, it appears Mr Fishbein lives nearby and Ill have to contact him tommorrow. However I don't understand why you would want to log it as found if it was missing. I'll see about replacing it after Easter. ....Call me crazy....I fulfilled our end of this deal...we solved the puzzle and went to gz....if your cache is not there why can't we get the smiley?? Tell Fishbein we want our reward...being we can not get smiley.

then a few days later..

Well by definition, being found would be that We had done what would be required to make the find,One we solved the puzzle,two we went to gz.If the object of our search...ie....your cache was not there because someone took it,we are not able to fulfill our part of the agreement. How does that become our problem? If you want to be a stickler for rules then your cache should have been maintained. We have done other caches where the cache was missing and I posted a picture of the gz showing that and the c/o granted permission for us to log the cache. It's not like it was on the side of the road. We walked the 1 mile round trip to be able to log this cache. We have been doing this for about 4 months and I see that there are many issues that need to be addressed. I am sorry if I do not just say ok your right when I feel we have a valid point.It's not the smiley that I care about it's the principal.

:rolleyes:

I've got this on one of mine. I haven't had a chance to go out and read the log.

Wow quite a tricky one, couldn't find GZ with the Maths. So read thru some others and there is really only one place where your arm needs to reach in so far. Step by step we found it.

This cache is a multi and is located in a sporting complex that covers 76 hectares (187 acres). Apparently he/she/they know this complex like the backs of their hands and so could find my cache without going through the stages of the multi. :rolleyes:

Edited by biggles1024

[ Its a lot harder to rack up 2k+ finds when you usually spend your entire caching day going after one cache.

So what do the numbers mean?

I thought I'd see just how far from home I'd have to go to log 2000 caches. Doing a search for the closest 2000 caches to my home I have a circle 125 miles radius or over 49,000 square miles. I have logged all the caches within 40 mile radius of my home except for the most recent 11 that just was put out last weekend.

Doing some playing around with the numbers (hey, it's raining, what else to do) for some locations I find if I lived in NYC that from Battery Park, a person has 2000 caches within 43 miles. San Francisco - 2000 caches within 23 miles. LA - 2000 within 23 miles. Tampa - 44 miles. North Chicago - 39 miles. With each of those the mileage only extends out 180 deg from center point due to the oceans/gulf/lake on one side. Seattle - 29 miles. For Dallas, TX there are 2000 caches within 19 miles radius.

However, if a person lived in Circle, MT they'd have to draw a circle 337 miles in radius to get 2000 caches or an area of about 357,000 square miles. Just how big is 357,000 sq mi? That's bigger than the land mass of MT, ND, SD, and WI combined.

So a person from Dallas, LA, SF, Seattle, or Chicago with 2000 finds? Yawn. A person from Circle, MT with 2000 finds, now that person has been hitting it hard.

After reading this makes me wish I had taking up grocaching sooner

Lived in Dallas area several years. Irving to be exact. Pretty in between fort worth and Dallas

I'm not a numbers person.1 main issue to consider is that most of Dallas is

Bad neighborhoods

[ Its a lot harder to rack up 2k+ finds when you usually spend your entire caching day going after one cache.

I thought I'd see just how far from home I'd have to go to log 2000 caches. Doing a search for the closest 2000 caches to my home I have a circle 125 miles radius or over 49,000 square miles. I have logged all the caches within 40 mile radius of my home except for the most recent 11 that just was put out last weekend.

Doing some playing around with the numbers (hey, it's raining, what else to do) for some locations I find if I lived in NYC that from Battery Park, a person has 2000 caches within 43 miles. San Francisco - 2000 caches within 23 miles. LA - 2000 within 23 miles. Tampa - 44 miles. North Chicago - 39 miles. With each of those the mileage only extends out 180 deg from center point due to the oceans/gulf/lake on one side. Seattle - 29 miles. For Dallas, TX there are 2000 caches within 19 miles radius.

However, if a person lived in Circle, MT they'd have to draw a circle 337 miles in radius to get 2000 caches or an area of about 357,000 square miles. Just how big is 357,000 sq mi? That's bigger than the land mass of MT, ND, SD, and WI combined.

So a person from Dallas, LA, SF, Seattle, or Chicago with 2000 finds? Yawn. A person from Circle, MT with 2000 finds, now that person has been hitting it hard.

After reading this makes me wish I had taking up grocaching sooner

Lived in Dallas area several years. Irving to be exact. Pretty in between fort worth and Dallas

I'm not a numbers person.1 main issue to consider is that most of Dallas is

Bad neighborhoods

Do draw a circle around central Copenhagen!

Yeah, I started caching in Istanbul, where we just recently surpassed 1000 hides in the COUNTRY! I have spent a few months in the states since I started, and have been able to travel in Europe and Asia some, so my finds are up in the 1300s. I know it is not about the numbers, but the experiences, and with fewer caches in Turkey, the ones that are here really take you to some neat places. Still, though, in September, my family and I are moving to Vancouver, Canada, where there are currently over 22,000 within 100 square miles. My mouth is watering a little bit. :)

On a side note, it is starting to grow in Turkey, largely in part to some local cachers who have gotten excited about the game. There is now a power trail in Istanbul that leads you down the Asian side of the Bosporus with about 35 or so caches.

Edited by bulcacher

Looking for a vacation destination, I came across a cache which is near an airport, but located in such a way there's (seemingly) almost always lots and lots of people sitting on the hiding place. This means actual finds are few and far apart and most cachers log a 'photolog'-find. As the CO accepts those logs (and actually encourages those openly in the description), you also get quite a number of people not even bothering to go to GZ anymore and juts log when they're at the airport...

In March and April this cache was logged as Found 17 times. Of those only 1 is a genuine find. Two are ambiguous worded and could be real finds (but I assume they aren't) and the other 14 are blatent 'no time too crowded here's a picture of the general area'-finds. A selection:

I looked a little bit arround, but did not find the cache...

unfortunatly we had to fly back after a wonderful week in paradise ...

Leider war nicht viel Zeit, da wir noch unseren Wasserflieger kriegen mussten. Daher können wir nur den Cache durch ein Foto loggen, da es dort vor Muggels wimmelte und der Flieger nicht auf uns warten wollte.

There were many locals all around and not moving from the seats in order to have a good look. This was the best vacation ever though!

Found while waiting for homebound plane.

Some of the seats were taken, and of course the one closest to GZ. In fact, two guards were sitting on it.

We made a brief search of the available seats but found nothing. Photolog it is then.

After amazing two weeks on Some Island the time between arriving at the airport and check-in to our flight home was to short for searching.

Before check-in we tried to search for this one, but we found no box and it was too crowded here to search for a longer time!

So we log with the picture!

Arrived here on the airport island for our 2 week holidays on Some Island :-) We wanted to find this cache, but unfortunately we had no time between our international flight and the connection flight with the water airplane. So here is an image of our water airplane ready for takeoff to Some Island ;-) TFTC

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

Latest update on this cache:

[translate]This photolog cache provides a sweet ending of our vacation...

Mrs. Terratin

Edited by terratin

Yeah, I started caching in Istanbul, where we just recently surpassed 1000 hides in the COUNTRY! I have spent a few months in the states since I started, and have been able to travel in Europe and Asia some, so my finds are up in the 1300s. I know it is not about the numbers, but the experiences, and with fewer caches in Turkey, the ones that are here really take you to some neat places. Still, though, in September, my family and I are moving to Vancouver, Canada, where there are currently over 22,000 within 100 square miles. My mouth is watering a little bit. :)

On a side note, it is starting to grow in Turkey, largely in part to some local cachers who have gotten excited about the game. There is now a power trail in Istanbul that leads you down the Asian side of the Bosporus with about 35 or so caches.

Great to see how the game is progressing in Turkey.

We were there 2 years ago and there were only about 650 caches in the whole country.

Well done.

<<Vancouver, Canada, where there are currently over 22,000 within 100 square miles. >>

Putting on my math geek: there can only be about 100 in any square mile due the distance between hides requirement, so if those 100 square miles were completely saturated there'd be only about 10,000. (I'm just having fun, I know you meant within 100 miles of there).

<<Vancouver, Canada, where there are currently over 22,000 within 100 square miles. >>

Putting on my math geek: there can only be about 100 in any square mile due the distance between hides requirement, so if those 100 square miles were completely saturated there'd be only about 10,000. (I'm just having fun, I know you meant within 100 miles of there).

That is what I meant. Sorry about that. I should have known better, too. :)

That is what I meant. Sorry about that. I should have known better, too. :)

TECHNICALLY, you could have 121 within a single square mile...but then any adjacent square mile could only have 100. So, say you have a 3x3 grid of 9 square miles. That would work out to 921. Therefore, a 100 square mile block would allow for a maximum of 10,021 caches.

Cache went missing somewhere around 20 March, a bunch of tourist come by logging DNFs. And then a someone passes by:

Found this cool guy during my holidays in 7 countries.

Just a note and photo, as the box itself is apparently missing...

Thanks for showing the place and kind regards from Germany!

After this log there's a nice mix of DNF's and "Didn't Find It but here's a picture"-Found It's...

Let's just hope the CO wakes up and replaces the cache right before we visit this city.

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

3.png Didn't find it

04/26/2014

If the last three cachers had logged their DNF for the missing part of the container (no signature on the missing log = DNF) I would not have bothered looking for this. Missing for over a year! Found broken container, missing the head with the log. DNF.

45.png Needs Maintenance

07/06/2013

Container broken

2.png Found it

07/06/2013

Found container no log :(

2.png Found it

03/24/2013

Found the container with XYZ but unfortunately the contents is missing so we could not sign it. TFTC

View Log

45.png Needs Maintenance

03/24/2013

Part of container holding logsheet is missing.

2.png Found it

03/24/2013

#2371 - This was my favorite cache of the series so far, and deserves a favorite point for creativity. Unfortunately, we spotted the majority of the container downslope from gz, with the key component holding the log, and therefore the code number, missing. ABC and I searched around a bit, but could not locate the rest of the container. TFTC

2.png Found it

03/03/2013

TFC

2.png Found it

08/18/2012

this one needs some maintenance. I found one part that needs to be reattached. I then found the other part, but I wasn't sure where to put it so I just took a guess.

This one has been badly damaged for a year-and-a-half! CO missing the same. Am I the only one who thinks a broken owl statue laying on the ground does not qualify as a find?

It seems that an increasing number of cachers seem to think that signing the physical log is now optional. :rolleyes:

This is from a log on a friends cache posted last weekend.

Found it Found it

26/04/2014

After many attempts and dodgy gps readings we finally found it. Didn't have pen so left a leaf :-) tftc

Photo

Luckily for them, its autumn here so there is no shortage of leaves..... :laughing:

This is actually a DNF but a FOUND IT wanna be...

Back in Sao Paulo we visited some caches in this busy town.

Not easy to find caches with so many muggles. After some caches in the streets it was

very nice and relaxed in a pretty park with some caches.

At the end of the day we tried to find some challenges.

This one we searched for a long time but we found nothing.

What a pity! The last chance for us before we go back to Germany.

Maybe we get the log permission if the container is lost?

That would be very nice.

One of the best so far in any of my caches...

Edited by JPreto

AstralProjectionDude [Caches Found] 87

:) Found it 06 May 14

Wanted to come check out XXXXXX State Park and find some GCs... was a little confused by signs around stating that the land is owned by the City of XXXXXX and that one is not allowed to be there. Of course I complied with the signs and left the area. I then had a daydream in which I found this cache and signed the log. In my dream this cache was in great shape, and I was thankful for its placement.

If they had read the cache page they would have known they needed a permit and wouldn't have to AstralProject it.

Edited by FunnyNose

:D Spot+Run (3990 Finds) Found it !

Found this on the way back down from Xxxxxxx, but I couldn't do much other than spot the container and leave. Two groups of people were right there on the trail. Makes me wonder if they were geocaching, too, but I didn't spot a GPS among them. Hmm...

Hmm is right.

Why didn't you stop and let them move along? :huh:

Maybe you didn't spot the cache. Hmm...

2.png Found it 04/21/2014

Beautiful day for caching in the area after dropping my Son at ABC. The cache spot looks like it's new and the original cache is gone, so I replaced the cache with a MHK, as a temporary fix! Beautiful old church.

22.png Temporarily Disable Listing 04/20/2014

I will get out there this week with a replacement.

3.png Didn't find it 04/18/2014

Really cool location. Not sure if the cache is missing, covered in debris or we just couldn't find it in plain site. Looked for 40 min or so but to no avail.

3.png Didn't find it 04/02/2014

Well, as a change of pace after work, instead of traveling east to get more of CDE area caches, I decided to head westward to around Exit 19 of II...after finding one at a rest area, I set sights on this one hidden by my friend GHI. Wasn't sure what to expect, not knwoing what this container was like......despite its proximity to the Interstate, it was very secluded. Interesting buildings around....and all private property except the road where I parked my car. And there's where the problems started. Looked at the obvious spot. Nothing. Then the hint....could mean a couple of things...and the GPS bounced all over the place. Tried to PAF, texted the CO, but no response. After about a half hour search for I-don't-know-whats, I gave up my search. I know I'll see the CO soon, and perhaps try again. TFTH.

No. Actually, it was a fake chewing gum cache. But a find is more important than noting that you could not find it.

Found it! But couldn't get it down. Needs Maintenance. :rolleyes::)

Brought the family here today for Mother's Day. Nice container, if only I could see what's inside! :) thanks for adding to our fun day here! :rolleyes::)

Pretty sure we saw what we needed, but mother nature seems to like it very much. So much that she won't let go of it. I couldn't sign the log so I won't log a smiley, but I will log a needs maintenance so that hopefully in the future I'll be able to sign the log. DNF

Well, at least one out of three did the right thing! :o

11.png Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken

29 May 14

Spend a beautyful day on Mt. Something.

It was wonderful weather and we had a great view.

We had no internet connection and no one at home (in Germany) who could take a photo from us. So I hope, a selfie is O.K.

TFTC

No a selfie is not O.K.

Member 42.png Found it 11/03/2013

This has definitely been tampered with. The clue was dead on and found the spot with the pencil sharpener, for what I can only assume was for the pencil that was mentioned in the description. Found some other weird, broken thing but no log. Also the GPS location is about 100 feet off from where the clue points. Looks like this one has been compromised!!

You found a pencil sharpener? 100 feet off? Log a find????