Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Okay, so, here's a log that showed up in a cache of mine, D1T1.

"Although we were unable to lacate cache container with log, I am marking this one as found."

The cacher had found the "sister" cache on an identical host. This hide is designed to bring people to a cool local feature and the cache itself is easy to find. There are literally only two or three possible hiding places, and I've never had another DNF (aside from the one time the cache went missing and literally wasn't there to find). The cacher assumed the cache had to be in the exact same place, and neglected to look in the only other possible hiding place on the host. Whatever. I emailed him and told him but he never came back to find it.

Actually, come to think of it, when it actually WAS missing, I did tell the cacher who DNF that he had been in the right place, the cache WAS missing, and that he could log a find if he wanted, and he chose to come back and physically find the cache. I'm sure you can guess which of the two was a 275 find cacher and which was a 5451 find cacher...

That said, I considered logging a DNF as a find myself once. I solved a long, time consuming, driving all over town kind of puzzle, arrived at GZ and the cache was gone. Confirmed with CO that I was in the exact right place. CO said he'd replace it and never did. I felt like I HAD found it, but didn't get credit for it. While I didn't log the find, I did finally understand how these things happen.

Edited by mocrash

Found it 12/29/2013 Tftc Too bad we couldn't open it

This is the 3rd such log on my cache.. It set up a nice, custom made cache in a wonderful location. Once you open the cache it has a cryptex inside you haveto open to sign the log. Apparently a few cachers think because you arrive at GZ you should get the smily.

:)Found It!

Dnf . We were walking around after visiting the museum. The police said it is not a safe area.

I'm not sure if this logger accidentally clicked the Found It option instead of the DNF or if they are among the long list of people who have "virtually" found this particular cache.

This does happen a lot. When they show up on one of my caches I wait a couple days and if the "finder" doesn't fix it I delete the log. If these remain on the cache page it is as much the fault of the owner as the "finder"

:)Found It!

Dnf . We were walking around after visiting the museum. The police said it is not a safe area.

I'm not sure if this logger accidentally clicked the Found It option instead of the DNF or if they are among the long list of people who have "virtually" found this particular cache.

This does happen a lot. When they show up on one of my caches I wait a couple days and if the "finder" doesn't fix it I delete the log. If these remain on the cache page it is as much the fault of the owner as the "finder"

Sometimes I'll see it where the person obviously clicked the wrong option. I recently saw someone do this on several caches back-to-back, so I sent a message and politely told him and that I had done it myself several times. He was grateful I brought it to his attention and went back to edit the logs. Some folks really just don't pay attention. I think the apps ought to leave the option blank but require the user to select one before it will submit the log. Seems like that might help reduce the accidental "Found It" logs.

The last several logs from a virtual, for which the answers have been covered up since before the first person in this series (at the bottom) logged it. One of the "finders" has more than 50k finds, another has more than 20k. Tsk tsk.

----

:) Found this neat old virtual while caching around the area this morning with ****. Thanks **** for bringing me here. E-mail is on it's way. TFTV

---

[Posted Note] The plates with the answers are currently covered up, so it's not possible to log this right now.

---

:) We visited this area with lots of workers around putting up more and more Christmas lights. We dodged the equipment and went inside and got what we could. All of the information signs were covered up with cloths and children's Christmas ornaments. ****** even went down the stairs to see if she could find someone who knew the answers. Thanks for this cache.

----

:) Woohoooo!!!

----

:) I thought ***** was such a nice place. They already had most of the Christmas decorations outside which I'm sure will be pretty at night. On the inside they were still working so it was like an extra hard scavenger hunt for the answers today. TFTV & history!

----

:) Visiting *** today with ****. The *** is very scenic here. I hike alot at **** which is a different river. They had the Christmas Decorations out in the building today which made it more difficult to locate the answers but we got it done.

Edited by HistDrew

Quote from the cache page, "If you cannot find the cache, do NOT replace it (aka throw-down cache)." ( Listing is now disabled. )

2.png UserNoDNF! We were here earlier in the day. We made a call to a previous finder and learned where it was. After returning to the gz we discovered that the cache was missing. We decided to replace the cache and we attempted to cover it a bit. I hope it lasts! TFTC!

2.png UserNoDNF_Evah Took two tries. Got hint from former finder and it was missing. Restored as best we could.

Sometimes it pays to go caching with the CO:

"Was caching with the CO and found that this one was missing. CO is nice enough to allow me to log a find. TFTC"

:rolleyes:

Same CO, different cache:

Found it

01/16/2014

After finishing the rest of the series, and seeing the great consistency and coordinates and hints that you gave, we decided to come back and replace this one. We hope that is okay with the cache owner. Thanks for all the great caches! #20346 ((()))

to which I posted a Note:

NO! Not a throwdown!

to which the CO replied:

Glad I'm OK with nice people helping to maintain my River Series. It's hard for me to get down here that often, so I'm very grateful. Not sure why people take such issue with "throwdowns." They must not own, or have done any real power trails, because that's how they are maintained.

picard_ashamed.jpg

And to clarify...this so-called "Power Trail" is a string of 15 caches along a paved walking trail.

Edited by J Grouchy

:)

TFTC unfortunately I didn't find and wasn't until I logged tonight that I found since I uploaded to GPS its been deactivated , I'm hoping CO will allow me to claim this as I'm only in Philadelphia for a few days on a trip from England? Let me know, Also ***** any good places to drop off TB's as I have a bag full from England to send off on a journey?

Found it 01/25/2014

Not found as not here. Can I count this one?

-------------

Didn't find it 01/20/2014

Obviously a DNF as I knew it wasn't there. I was (kind of) passing with someone who'd found it before and we stopped for a look as it's an interesting story. What a really odd place!

Owner Maintenance 01/15/2014

Managed to get round and check out the damage today. There is no sign of the lid so will need to find replacement container - bear with me!

This one is Temporarily Disabled.

The log at the bottom is the CO, who checked on it before the new person "found" it.

The log in the middle is a sensible person saying he knew he would DNF as it wasn't there, but he wanted to show a friend the special location.

Found it 01/25/2014

Not found as not here. Can I count this one?

-------------

Didn't find it 01/20/2014

Obviously a DNF as I knew it wasn't there. I was (kind of) passing with someone who'd found it before and we stopped for a look as it's an interesting story. What a really odd place!

Owner Maintenance 01/15/2014

Managed to get round and check out the damage today. There is no sign of the lid so will need to find replacement container - bear with me!

This one is Temporarily Disabled.

The log at the bottom is the CO, who checked on it before the new person "found" it.

The log in the middle is a sensible person saying he knew he would DNF as it wasn't there, but he wanted to show a friend the special location.

Instead of an "Owner Maintenance" log, why not a "Temporarily Disable" log?

TeamThrowdowners (9000+ Finds) :D Found it!

Cache is MIA but I replaced where I thought it should be.. Seems like they cut the tree / Bush down at GZ.. I stuck a small container in the brush. You should and relocate it.

TFTC CacheOwner

Edited by JASTA 11

Quote from the cache page, "If you cannot find the cache, do NOT replace it (aka throw-down cache)." ( Listing is now disabled. )

2.png UserNoDNF! We were here earlier in the day. We made a call to a previous finder and learned where it was. After returning to the gz we discovered that the cache was missing. We decided to replace the cache and we attempted to cover it a bit. I hope it lasts! TFTC!

2.png UserNoDNF_Evah Took two tries. Got hint from former finder and it was missing. Restored as best we could.

Either this happens almost word for word a lot, or this might have been my cache. I can't remember, but I may not have put the (no throw-down caches) after this set of events in the log. I let the long stand for other reasons, but did immediately disable cache. If was mine, the replacement was trashed in 24 hours. I'm re-engineering the cache, which has taken longer than expected.

I have noticed that putting the "No Throw-down" has prevented such. However, it pissed one cacher off, who then proceeded to make a negative comment about the community I hid a couple caches in.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Hi, I'm very new to this and not sure if I'm posting in the right place, please bear with me.

I went to look for a nearby cache today. It had 'giveaway hints'. The cache should have been under some bushes, but they've all been cut away, presumably by the council. Cache nowhere to be found. What's the correct protocol please?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome. Here's what I would do:

1. Log a DNF. ThatKs not a black mark for me or the cache, simply recognition that I didnt find it. Mention the trimming in the log.

2 also log a Needs Maintenance. Not because you DNFed it, but because you have a legitimate reason to believe it is gone, and needs owner maintenance. A typical DNF would not require a NM Some may say that's premature, but its what I would do. Again, mention the trimming in the NM log.

3. Come back after the owner has replaced it, find it, log a Found It.

4. DO NOT leave a throwdown!

Thanks for recognizing the unusual nature of your situation and trying to determine the correct course of action.

A newbie quickly learns how to never have to log a DNF.

Write note 03/15/2014

Found the location. And after reading many previous post, we too could not find it. We decided to leave a new geocache to keep this awesome location alive.

:D Found it 03/15/2014

Started a new one

A newbie quickly learns how to never have to log a DNF.

Write note 03/15/2014

Found the location. And after reading many previous post, we too could not find it. We decided to leave a new geocache to keep this awesome location alive.

:D Found it 03/15/2014

Started a new one

The only throwdown ever left on one of my 50 career cache placements on this site was left by a 3 find newbie on their first day of caching. In their log, they stated that they were caching with a Nuvi car GPS plucked off their windshield. Which was all the rage in like 2007 when this happened. :P

Ultimately, all throwdowners think they're doing a good deed. Misguided souls as they may be. :o

If someone admits they throwdown would you delete their find log? I'm not talking about those who find it after, but the person who left the throwdown, and admitted it. After all their name is not in the logbook for the cache you placed there...

I'm not usually so picky about this but in this case,,, YEP. First and most importantly, they have admitted that they did not find the cache. Second, it irritates me somewhat that they took it upon themselves to throwdown. <_< The original container may still be in place so now there could be two which might cause confusion for future finders. Even if the cache was missing, it's still my responsibility to replace it.

This from a user with seven "finds":

"Nearly a year later....I think this one is gone. I searched all over the tree, hill, and Creek area. I read some of the other logs and one said they double wrapped it in a zip lock bag so I was looking for both a log and plastic. Maintenance requested or at least add a hint in case I'm just blind...lol"

If someone admits they throwdown would you delete their find log? I'm not talking about those who find it after, but the person who left the throwdown, and admitted it. After all their name is not in the logbook for the cache you placed there...

Far from deleting such logs I appreciate the maint. help. On one of my high diff. caches I found 3 caches at GZ one time, the original and two really nice throwdown containers......it didn't matter to me which one folks were finding. Once, I left multiple containers on site for a couple of years.

I think too many make too much of this really simple game we play....I think the most important thing is that containers with sign-able logs remain in play regardless of how it is accomplished.

If it's a found it log, I delete it immediately. They didn't find anything and, more often than not, are causing problems later on as there are now two containers there. This causes issues for subsequent seekers.

The more proper log would be a DNF, NM or NA, the latter two so a CO can address whether it is missing or simply overlooked.

There are never any circumstances where a "throwdown" is appropriate.

Edited by baloo&bd

Far from deleting such logs I appreciate the maint. help. On one of my high diff. caches I found 3 caches at GZ one time, the original and two really nice throwdown containers......it didn't matter to me which one folks were finding. Once, I left multiple containers on site for a couple of years.

I think too many make too much of this really simple game we play....I think the most important thing is that containers with sign-able logs remain in play regardless of how it is accomplished.

Oh boy, I think we're going to be chastised for discussing stuff in this thread, but I absolutely HAD to respond to this. You do realize you have the big time MINORITY opinion on throwdowns, right? Including a Groundspeak help center article discouraging throwdowns, and the opinion of just about every Geocaching.com volunteer reviewer I've ever heard weigh in on the subject. And I won't name my reviewer, but I know for a FACT they will not recognize throwdowns as legitimate. For example, if someone throws down on a disabled by the reviewer cache while it's disabled, and he doesn't hear from the CACHE OWNER, the cache still gets archived on schedule for lack of CACHE OWNER action. Seen that happen at least 4 times. :)

Found this one curious:

We solved the puzzle and hiked out to Gz only to discover that the previous cacher noted that the cache is missing. We searched the area carefully and concluded that the cache is MIA. Hopefully, the CO will allow this find as was done for the previous cacher.

To which the CO responded:

Seriously? Logging a find on something that is not there? We do not give permission for that. We always say it is your game and you play how you want. Anyway, we will get out to replace this one in the next few weeks. We have a lot on our plate right now so it will be bit before we make it out there to replace this one.

It is noted that the CO did not delete the 'finds'. The previous 'find' was a month and a half earlier, and s/he reported the cache missing.

Oh boy, I think we're going to be chastised for discussing stuff in this thread, but I absolutely HAD to respond to this. You do realize you have the big time MINORITY opinion on throwdowns, right? Including a Groundspeak help center article discouraging throwdowns, and the opinion of just about every Geocaching.com volunteer reviewer I've ever heard weigh in on the subject. And I won't name my reviewer, but I know for a FACT they will not recognize throwdowns as legitimate. For example, if someone throws down on a disabled by the reviewer cache while it's disabled, and he doesn't hear from the CACHE OWNER, the cache still gets archived on schedule for lack of CACHE OWNER action. Seen that happen at least 4 times. :)

Oh, I know I'm in the minority and I get hammered regularly :)

2.png Found it

I couldn't find the cache and based on the great hint and the fact that xxxxxxxx couldn't find it, I replaced the cache.

I've found most of the caches in this general area, but was avoiding the few in this specific area because it looked WAY too hard to get to. Finally decided to go for it. Boy, that was easy to get to. I never used 4WD and only encountered two puddles that made me even think about it for 1/2 second. I'm surprised there aren't more caches back here, it's an awesome area. TFTC!

Nope. Didn't find anything!

Just noticed this today at lets say a moderately historic, highly sought after for the Jasmer Challenge, cache.

:) Found it [Name Redacted] (Well over 10,000 found)

Another great old cache in [state Redacted] we have never been to. Looked all over, both sides of the wall and all around the area described in the write up. Nothing found. After about an 1hr search we decided to make a few calls to get some help. Finally decided that since we had another container in the truck we would place something here so others would not be disappointed either. We placed it where the description said, if the other container is found, Please feel free to remove our container, or if a local wants to replace with an ammo can, feel free to take our cache out so there is not two caches at the site. Left some [redacted] stuff.

A 1.5/1 Traditional Hide:

Write note 05/21/2013

Well, we found something. It look like some letterbox like the spot. Neat spot. I hope you can get it worked out.

Didn't find it 06/17/2013

Not sure if we found the cache as it looked more like a letterbox. The coords were off about 15 feet for this container. Looked very well around GZ, but didn't find another container at the described hint.

If we signed the correct log, please let us know and we'll change to a find.

:D Found it 07/21/2013

We were in the area and saw this cache was nearby so thought we'd grab it. We hope we found the cache and not a letterbox... we noticed some caching names in it so either we are all finding a letterbox or it's also the cache? Maybe the cache owner will take a look and clarify?

thanks for the cache

Don't you mean TFTLB?

Didn't find it 07/24/2013

Two of us looked for about 20 minutes :-(

Found a letterbox right off the bat, but couldn't find a cache.

:D Found it 07/25/2013

Found with Xxxx. It appears we either found the intended cache posing as a hybrid/letterbox or did not find the cache but instead discovered a letterbox. In any event since we do both we stamped books and went on our merry way! Tftc

:D Found it 07/25/2013

Looks like this is a letterbox hybrid. Signed log and stamped with my stamp. Wife did the same. TFTC especially the LB

I had just gotten a cache in my hand yesterday and then dropped it right back in the hidey hole as a muggle approached and parked themselves down for an extended lunch. No time to sign, no find. It was 50 miles from home.

I agree with how you marked it, but I've never been that worried about muggles that I'd not have signed it. People really don't see what you are doing. A friend and I once carried on a conversation with a lady, all the while I was getting the cache and signing the log--she never knew we'd done it.

What if you find cache and log is soaked. My first find was this way. I reported it as a find than rereported that it needed maintenance

I call that a find, and I think most COs would agree. If it's a cache that I liked and there's room inside (and the container's ok), I'll put a new log & baggie in there and sign that one. But that's totally optional.

What if you find cache and log is soaked. My first find was this way. I reported it as a find than rereported that it needed maintenance

The few times I haven't had a replacement log, I signed anyway. Might not have been readable (or even really visible) but I signed it. I will post a DNF for almost every other case of the CO not being able to see my name on a log, but that's a find.

Here's a cache I tried to find recently. It seems to have gone missing about six months ago. In amongst a couple of genuine DNFs and a few NM logs there are these gems:

:) Found it by Last-real-finder Aug '13

First cache during my annual trip

:( Didn't find it by Honest-cacher Aug '13

Did a lap of the island, but couldn't see any way of getting over in trainers. Another time perhaps

:) Found it by Plastic-hunter Sept '13

Looks like it's been destroyed again - found a nice big plastic lid, and a lot of plastic shards of the rest of the box.

:) Found it by Plastic-hunter2 Sept '13

Found a plastic lid and some remaining shards of plastic in the stump , pity as its good fun trying to get to this.

:) Found it by Plastic-hunter3 Sept '13

Found the various bits of plastic which others have too. I guess this was the cache as cant find anything else. TFTC

:) Found it by Plastic-hunter4 Dec '13

Vandalised! Bummer!

:) Found it by Plastic-hunter 5 Dec '13

Just the remains of plastic after XXXXXXX braved life and limb...