Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

An die Stelle lange seit gesucht, aber logbuch nicht gefunden . Doch für den Smiley auf der Karte als gefunde protokolliert, weil wir auf ground zero zeit eine anwesend waren und ein foto lokal gemacht haben. Bei der suche kam ich zu fallen das mich leicht verletzte daher meine ich die Smiley verdient zu haben.

Leider können wir nie wieder rückkehr und wir hoffen, dass die Co hiermit zustimmen können.

Translation: Searched a long time but couldn't find the log. Still claimed a smiley because we were a long time at GZ and made a photo log. While searching I stumbled and hurt myself, hence I think I deserve the smiley. Unfortunately, we'll never return and thus hope the CO will agree with our log.

2.png Found it 10/11/2013

Still can't get inside thanks to the government shutdown, so I got a picture with as close I could get, hope this is ok!

2.png Found it 10/10/2013

Darn it. Still can't get close enough to get the info due to the shut down. Hope its ok to claim a smiley.

2.png Found it 10/05/2013

My daughters and I are taking a mini vacation to visit the (area). Along the way, we are finding some caches and visiting (nearby sites). What a great road trip!

We finally arrived at the (site) today after months of plotting and planning more than 6 hours of driving. Unfortunately, the museum is closed because of the government shutdown. This was a big letdown as the girls have/will study the (subject) in school and I really wanted to visit the museum with them.

I hope this log is acceptable. I'll post a few pictures showing that we attempted to visit the museum.

2.png Found it 10/03/2013

Couldn't visit the visitor centre because of the government shutdown... Hope it's ok to log this cache anyway. Fotolog...

Did you log the seven questions require to log the Virtual Cache? Didn't think so. You do not meet the requirements to log the cache.

Ah. The fotologgers are also throwdowners...

2.png Found it 08/25/2013

Coordenadas bien ciertas.

:) gplc

2.png Found it 08/25/2013

what an amazing and tranquil place! found it quickly after poking about in the ruins. met some nice fishermen who watched. Y bike while I went searching. TNLN Found a nice rock on my way out.

2.pngFound it. 08/05/2013

We are (foreigners) visiting (country) as part of our (continent) adventure. We were in (city) for the day and hired a driver and car $US35 to take us to this cache and the other located not too far away. We enjoyed the walk along the beach and after having a good look around we found where we thought the cache had been hidden and replaced it with a container we had prepared.

2.png Found it 06/29/2013

Update: confirmed with the owner that I'd found the right place of the missing cache, so logging as found. Great place, worth a visit even if the cache is missing for now.

Rode a rental bike over from (city) on a beautiful, sunny winter day. Was disappointed that the cache seems to be missing (I'm assuming it used to be in the place from the previous logger's photo), but the spot is really great. I hope you manage to replace it soon. (Warning: For anyone climbing the thin tower, beware that the bricks may come loose... I narrowly escaped a tumble into the bushes below. :-)

3.png Didn't find it 04/27/2013

I rented a bike in (city) and rode to the cache location. Unfortunately, I was not successful in locating the box. I tried every hole, but nothing. Interesting location, nevertheless.

3.png Didn't find it 03/31/2013

Creo que no está.

Un sitio interesante y una bonita playa

Gracias !

At least some people are honest... And some people will do anything to avoid a DNF.

Edited by Harry Dolphin
Questionable 6000+ finder 2.png Found it 09/09/2013

What a pity - this listing has been disabled for two years now and the owner has not done anything to replace it or archive it. Since the last log was a found I thought that it had been replaced so when we visited the area today we did an extra walk here. I was a bit frustrating that we didn't find anything. No idea how the last loggers could find it.

I have taken a picture of the location and hope that the owner feels ok with a fotolog. I'll upload as soon as I'll be back home.

My first cache in some remote country - what a pity it's only a fotolog ...

TFTC!

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

:) Found it

"Here from NJ to visit my son, but this cache is definitely missing. :("

Maybe your son can explain the difference between finding something and not actually finding something.

Yes, but maybe the son needs to explain which button to push (write note, not found).

Today while hunting a cache, I found a plastic container not hidden, just kind of in a depression in the ground leaning up against a small tree. This is in Korea. On the outside were faded Korean letters, but I could read a name and "time capsule". Inside were some notes, an article about Chinese characters, etc. On the paper with the article, a geocacher I have met but don't really know wrote her name and the date of her "find". From experience, I knew this container was not a geocache. There was nothing geocache about it at all, really, except it was a plastic container off the beaten trail. I found the real cache less than a meter away tucked between two rocks. When I got home, I looked at the logs for the cache, and noticed that the geocacher in question had recorded the find and noted that the cache was missing a logsheet. Normally, I'd just send a note and say that they need to go back and straighten this out, but she recorded it as her only Day 25 find of the 31 Geocaching Days of August event. Technically, she did not find a cache on Day 25, but I don't want to embarrass her. What would a more experienced geocacher do, ignore it? tell her?

Today while hunting a cache, I found a plastic container not hidden, just kind of in a depression in the ground leaning up against a small tree. This is in Korea. On the outside were faded Korean letters, but I could read a name and "time capsule". Inside were some notes, an article about Chinese characters, etc. On the paper with the article, a geocacher I have met but don't really know wrote her name and the date of her "find". From experience, I knew this container was not a geocache. There was nothing geocache about it at all, really, except it was a plastic container off the beaten trail. I found the real cache less than a meter away tucked between two rocks. When I got home, I looked at the logs for the cache, and noticed that the geocacher in question had recorded the find and noted that the cache was missing a logsheet. Normally, I'd just send a note and say that they need to go back and straighten this out, but she recorded it as her only Day 25 find of the 31 Geocaching Days of August event. Technically, she did not find a cache on Day 25, but I don't want to embarrass her. What would a more experienced geocacher do, ignore it? tell her?

Ignore it.

If you had not happened to find the other "time capsule" container, you would never have known that she missed finding the actual cache. You never would have noticed the absence of her signature from the actual log. The fact that, just by chance, you did happen to find the other container and did happen to notice her signature in the wrong place does not suddenly make you a member of the cache police. You have no directive to intervene. It won't help anybody, not her, not you, not the cache owner, to try to teach her a lesson about being more careful with her finds. Unless you know her personally well enough to be sure she would appreciate being corrected ... but you said that you don't really know her. Do nothing more than what you've already done by posting a comment about it here.

Just came across this one...

Found it 08/27/2013

Found the cache high up with no access without some good climbing gear. It appears all the lower limbs were recently trimmed away making it nearly impossible to reach it. Unable to sign considering the circumstances.

Edited to add: another log from the same cache.

Found it 11/13/2012

Too high to get but we can see it!

Edited by Mudfrog
2.png Found it 09/12/2013

DNF this one.

With over 3000 finds, he should know the difference?

I've done that once or twice. Was grateful that it was brought to my attention so that i could correct my mistake. Being that "DNF" was spelled out in his log, i would think he might appreciate the heads up as well.

Prolific finder with over 10.000 finds:

The last weeks we travelled through Skandanavien. Most of the time in Sweden, where we had a lovely holliday. We made a challenge by ourself: Find a traditional, a multi, an earthcache and a challenge in Danmark, Sweden and Norway! At the end of our holliday we've done all these things, except the challenge in Danmark. When we searched for a real one, we found this. So the route was changed and we will visit this cache. When we arrived it wasn't easy to find the exact pilar, while the GPS was running and running with his coördinates. Then we searched for a long, long time!!! Every pilar, every centimeter we searched and searched. We are almost sure that this cache isn't their anymore!!! We made pictures on the place that we thought: it must be here. We sent them to the Co, who helped us friendly, wherefore our thanks. So we do now have challenges in Holland, Germany, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Danmark, Sweden and Norway...

3.png

So cross to DNF!!! [cacher] and I walked in marshy circles for half and hour. At GZ there was just grass. We widened the search area and found, and even partly dismantled, whatever was mentioned in the previous log, but no joy. Wouldn't mind but being vertically challenged and having read mention in previous logs, of giraffes, I had lugged some steps with me all afternoon! Expletives only just deleted! I nearly left them in. Is it you being proper devious [CO], or has it gone??

2.png

Logged as found by kind permission of CO.

Edited by Team Microdot

You should definitely tell her. I'd want to know if I were her. Just send her a note, not accusingly, but just stat the facts. It can even be light. "I was looking for a cache found something, wouldn't you know it you did too, I kept looking though and found the real container--just wanted to let you know it's out there", or something like that.

I am loving reading the logs from the people who didn't really find a cache. I don't quite get the logic. If you didn't find it, you didn't find it. I will not log a cache as found if I didn't find it. My frustration is when DNF logs are logged as found. Now I have wasted my time searching for a cache that is not there. On a side note: In our area there are alot of blackberry bushes in areas where caches are placed. I am planning on going back when they are dormant. Should I log them with a DNF and a reason, or should I just leave a note?

On a side note: In our area there are alot of blackberry bushes in areas where caches are placed. I am planning on going back when they are dormant. Should I log them with a DNF and a reason, or should I just leave a note?

I'd go with the DNF and a note. I am guessing that the reason that you didn't find the cache is because once you got to ground zero you discovered that the blackberry bushes were too thick. Posting a DNF would tell other potential seekers of the cache that they might want to wait until the bushes are dormant as well. Of course, a note would do the same thing, but a DNF log makes it a little more obvious that you got to ground zero and attempted a search.

On a side note: In our area there are alot of blackberry bushes in areas where caches are placed. I am planning on going back when they are dormant. Should I log them with a DNF and a reason, or should I just leave a note?

I'd go with the DNF and a note. I am guessing that the reason that you didn't find the cache is because once you got to ground zero you discovered that the blackberry bushes were too thick. Posting a DNF would tell other potential seekers of the cache that they might want to wait until the bushes are dormant as well. Of course, a note would do the same thing, but a DNF log makes it a little more obvious that you got to ground zero and attempted a search.

That is what I did. I will change it later when I can go back. Thx.

Actually, what I meant was a DNF log and an explanation. Many cachers won't change a DNF to a Found It if you come back later and find the cache. Each search attempt is a distinct event and can have distinct logs. For example, If you think other cachers would benefit from a DNF log posted in the summer which indicated that you didn't want to search because the blackberry bushes were too thick, then came back in winter and found it, changed the log (and log date) to a find, the fact that you DNFd the cache in the summer would be lost. Someone considering looking for the cache next summer might benefit from a log which indicates that the blackberry bushes are thick that time of year. There really isn't any good reason to change a DNF log to a found it. A DNF log doesn't count against you. It's just a factual account of your experience and part of the caches, and your geocaching history.

Saw this log at 1 this afternoon (for all I know it could have been posted much earlier) for an event that starts 8:30 pm tonight. I suspect he hasn't been sitting there all this time waiting for everyone to show up. Have you really "attended" an event if you leave before it starts?

:) Arrived REALLY early for tonight's spectacular event. Also grabbed the nearby cache commemorating the event. Thanks so much for putting this event together to honor Ct's own Astronaut

Saw this log at 1 this afternoon (for all I know it could have been posted much earlier) for an event that starts 8:30 pm tonight. I suspect he hasn't been sitting there all this time waiting for everyone to show up. Have you really "attended" an event if you leave before it starts?

:) Arrived REALLY early for tonight's spectacular event. Also grabbed the nearby cache commemorating the event. Thanks so much for putting this event together to honor Ct's own Astronaut

It's certainly possible for someone to arrive really early and hang out until the official start time. Perhaps, they don't live very close to the event location and took the entire day off. Does the event location serve alcohol?

It's certainly possible for someone to arrive really early and hang out until the official start time. Perhaps, they don't live very close to the event location and took the entire day off. Does the event location serve alcohol?

Exactly, they needed to get their drink on. Just because they got there and logged early doesn't mean they didn't attend.

Edited by giddeanx

Exactly, they needed to get their drink on. Just because they got there and logged early doesn't mean they didn't attend.

Most events Ive been to have a log book to sign to verify that you were there.

Edited by 9Key

A D2.5/T4 local cache - the owner has not logged into the site since February 2009.

Cacher #1 04/04/2013 Didn't find it

Searched high and low, No joy, I will be back!

Cacher #2 05/04/2013 Didn't find it

Had a fun scramble up the hill. The co-ords seemed to be about 10-15m from where the clue implied. Went with the clue and had a good look round, not finding anything matching it. Nice views from here, though...

Cacher #3 14/04/2013 Didn't find it

Couldn't find this one today, had a good poke around and nothing obvious to see. Nice little scramble up the hillside though.

Cacher 414/04/2013 Didn't find it

My partner searched about with cacher #3 for a while with no luck, steep climb and lose under foot, pretty spot

Cacher #5 15/04/2013 Didn't find it

Climbed the bank. Had a good search but no luck.

Cacher #6 20/04/2013 Didn't find it

I was with cacher #7 and really had a good long search but could not find, is it still there?

Cacher #7 20/04/2013 Didn't find it

Had a good search around the area with cacher #6 but couldn't find it

Cacher #4 09/06/2013 Needs Maintenance

any chance of a check up as 6 + did not finds

Cacher #8 29/06/2013 Write note

This was on the 'to do' list today but only noticed all the DNFs and NM logs as we parked up so DNA.

Cacher #903/07/2013 Didn't find it

We fancied the scramble so had a quick look despite all the DNFs. It isn't there. Cool place though.

Cacher #10 24/07/2013 Found it

Found the site but due to the DNF's didn't attempt the climb. Nice hiding spot though :)

Cacher #11 10/08/2013Found it

didn't like the steep climb but tftc

Cacher #12 06/09/2013 Didn't find it

We searched for it at the tower, but we coudn't find it

Cacher #1304/11/2013 Found it

Found the hidey hole with the odd square stone. Nothing there

Cacher #1304/11/2013 Needs Maintenance

Found the hidey hole with the odd square stone. Nothing there

Cacher #1405/11/2013 Found it

Clambered up and searched for cache. Removed stone by square white stone to reveal space for film canister size container and it was empty. Had a good look around, including climbing about halfway up inside but could not find any cache. I am claiming this because I do not fancy the scramble up and down again.

Caccher #14 05/11/2013 Needs Maintenance

See previous log

Possible? Sure. Likely? Nah.

Actually, what I meant was a DNF log and an explanation. Many cachers won't change a DNF to a Found It if you come back later and find the cache. Each search attempt is a distinct event and can have distinct logs. For example, If you think other cachers would benefit from a DNF log posted in the summer which indicated that you didn't want to search because the blackberry bushes were too thick, then came back in winter and found it, changed the log (and log date) to a find, the fact that you DNFd the cache in the summer would be lost. Someone considering looking for the cache next summer might benefit from a log which indicates that the blackberry bushes are thick that time of year. There really isn't any good reason to change a DNF log to a found it. A DNF log doesn't count against you. It's just a factual account of your experience and part of the caches, and your geocaching history.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. When I go back, I will make a new log. Thanks.

:D Found it!

Right l might get told off for this but what the heck l.ve always been a naughty boy

...went to look for this knowing that it is almost certainly missing

Found the right path ( that l had no idea existed) and had a good look. It was clear others had been looking at the couple of obvious spots but no cache to be found.

So

I decicided to leave a nano in one of the underhangs. I built a little cairn outside

The co may wish to remove my container, that.s fine but for the next searcher at least there will be a log to sign and it will encourage people to go to this amazing place, in the meantime

The reason l did this is because the last time l logged a long time missing cache the co archived it and l want people to go caching not to archive amazing placed caches

Hope that.s ok

2.png Found it 11/16/2013

This was missing from the obvious spot, so (megafinder) and I replaced it for you. TFTH

2.png Found it 11/16/2013

I was out with (throwdowner) doing the (highway) almost power trail when we found this one. Thanks for the hide.

3.png Didn't find it 11/11/2013

Pulled over where the police usually sit for speeders. Pretty conspicuous area with the traffic. Looked for a while but couldn't find it. May have been taken. CO should check.

3.png Didn't find it

10/20/2013

Looked all over. If it's a 1.5/1.5 it's probably missing. Three DNFs in a row (not counting caching companion.) Oh, well.

3.png Didn't find it

10/20/2013

Hunted in the usual spots, but came up MT !!

3.png Didn't find it 10/16/2013

Was (nearby) today getting an oil change on the Jeep, then took the long way home finding several caches along the way. I was actually going the wrong direction to find all of these caches today as I was heading west, so I found myself constantly making u-turns so I could park on the correct side of the road in the pull-offs. For this one, I ended up parking in the Fire Department and walking the short distance to the cache. Quickly checked and didn't find anything. There was a constant line of traffic going by today and I felt like I was calling too much attention to myself in this area. After seeing a (state) State Police car drive by, I decided to give up in case he might be wondering what I was doing here. Headed back to parking and continued on my way. After finding some other caches by this CO, I realized that it's probably my own fault that I missed finding this one, as I was expecting something different. I'll try this one again next time I'm in this area.

Yup! Toss a throwdown when you cannot find a cache, and you too can be a (megafinder)!

This guy is constantly complaining that a cache should be archived if several haven't found it or if he thinks a cache has been around too long.

(Throwdown Cacher)

Premium Member

Found it Found it

10/19/2013

Replaced for CO...if original is found I will remove find. Tftc

(Throwdown)

Edited by Wadcutter

This guy is constantly complaining that a cache should be archived if several haven't found it or if he thinks a cache has been around too long.

(Throwdown Cacher)

Premium Member

Found it Found it

10/19/2013

(Throwdown)

No, the find should be removed whether or not the original is found.

Thankfully I've not run across cachers where I'm at that feel it's ok to throw down a cache, and then worse yet, claim as found a cache you yourself have hidden!

(Throwdown Cacher)

Premium Member

Found it Found it

10/19/2013

(Throwdown)

No, the find should be removed whether or not the original is found.

Thankfully I've not run across cachers where I'm at that feel it's ok to throw down a cache, and then worse yet, claim as found a cache you yourself have hidden!

Around here it's pretty common. I see it on many caches...though they usually state it was replaced with the owner's permission...as if that means it's okay to still claim a find.

4.pngWrite note 10/12/2013

I checked up on the cache today following the recent logs and being a previous finder. The original cache is still there.

I couldn't find the film canister left by <Redacted>. If anyone finds it can they please take it home and throw it away - it's just geotrash.

2.pngFound it 25/11/2013 (7,000+ finds)

REPLACED 25/11/13 by *<Redacted>*

Left film cannister with a 132 log inside to get this one back up and running. Appreciate it if next finder can bring a plastic bag as I had run out today.

Cheers!

3.pngDidn't find it 9/11/2013

If the journey is why we cache then this was brilliant. But didn't find the box.

3.pngDidn't find it 11/10/2013

1hr if searching nothing here?

3.pngDidn't find it 7/10/2013

Interesting place. Can think of a good day to go back.

3.pngDidn't find it 7/10/2013

Found the path - after going down 2 other side paths. Found a great place to enjoy the view but couldn't find the cache. Is it still there?

3.pngDidn't find it 20/8/2013

That's three DNFs in a row for this cache. Perhaps the owner could verify its in place.

3.pngDidn't find it 9/6/2013

Was a super windy day when we went a couple of months ago... To the point of nearly being blown away on the tall cliffs, with all the deep crevasses and things had to eventually give up the search.

3.pngDidn't find it 22/5/2013

A little bit to hard for us today :/ we will try again another day :)

<_<

There are some 'great' examples of 'finds' in this thread; this one is right there at the top...

A bit of cache history: Published in March 2010 followed by a steady list of finds and the occasional DNF. From May 2011 onward a series of DNF's, a few Needs Maintenance logs and in August 2013 someone finally posts a Needs Archive. The reviewer reacts, gives the CO 30 days to fix the cache and -due to lack of response from the CO- archives the cache in September.

2.png Found it 3 Dec 2013

Came down to the [...] area, and accidentally stumbled upon his archived cache. Curious whether it can still be done, I checked out the GZ and indeed the cache is not to be found. It is a shame that this lovely region lacked a cache, so I am trying my luck out and hoping that the CO will see this log and re-enable it, as there is now a container to be found in the exact same spot. I hope to be able to publish an EC in this region, so this cache will be an extra incentive for visitors to cache here. TFTC!

And to top it off: this cache is hidden in a dry stone wall, which is never a good idea, as one of the DNF logs shows "...had plenty of time to look and pull every last rock from that wall."

Mr. Terratin

Some Boy Scouts went benchmark hunting:

:D DenMutha Found It!

I am the other Assistant Scout Masters of Troop XX located all the survey marks up here per other log. Not sure if this one still exists; since others are logging it I will too.

(from the Boy Scout Handbook)

SCOUT LAW

A Scout is:

TRUSTWORTHY. A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

In another thread, the topic of logging a find when the cacher really didn't find the cache was mentioned. Someone suggested it would make an interesting topic on its own. I agree.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Here's my first contribution:

icon_smile.gif Found the spot, but not the cache! No film canister that I could find, but I was right on it at 0.0 feet! 1st find on my own!

If you want the find, come write your name on the darn paper, or else, don't bother logging it or asking to log it. END of the question.

"This was the most fun I have had doing a cache in a long time. We did it from the dry side so the water was only up to our ..um...a...well lets say a spot where the cold could really be felt! We had to go through a lot of water, some slow and deep some fast and some fast and deep but still it was great fun. <name> had to dump out his boots a couple of time and that was great funny :) We left a sticker on the outside of the container to show that we were there because there ain't no way the container is ever coming out of that tree again (without harming the tree that is). Seems like that hole was much bigger when I found the original cache here years ago. I would now like to thank Bluemanchew for all the help figuring out how to get across the water. With any luck my camera may come back to life (but I am not going to hold my breath). Thanks for the smilie sir, both in my stats and on my face :)"

In my book, this guy did not get the smilie. I solved this cache over the summer, and it took a good half hour to open the container while still in the tree. It can be done, but it requires two people. This was after all a 5/5 cache and some difficulty is to be expected. Figuring out how to open the container was part of the challenge. If he would have bothered to open the container he would have found a couple of really cool TBs I placed in there.

These are for a local Virtual at the Atlanta Braves Stadium (http://coord.info/GC58A1). The fact that people are logging this found and the CO is not deleting them (i.e., not "maintaining" this cache and its logs) is reason to archive it in my book. I'm already not really fond of how virtuals are set up with having to email and all that...so if they are going to grandfather the old ones in, they should have high standards of log maintenance:

tlw8.png