Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

The owner said he would delete the previous "find" if he discovered that the original cache was still in place. The previous find has not been deleted. Are you sure you didn't find the throw-down?

Yes, I'm sure. The container had the 'official geocache' label on it, was full of swag, was camoflaged to match the surroundings, and had a nice thick log-book with all the previous finders' names in it AS WELL AS the owner's name on the cover. About as certain as one could be about it.

As for her (the owner is a she) log about deleting it, she likely just has not been by there yet to verify. She does maintenance runs...just not as timely as others do sometimes.

Getting back on track.....

:D Found it

10/23/2010 14:41 DNF: Out on a bike ride with Xxxxx on the Keystone Trail. We hiked back to this cache on our way to Xxxx Xxxx virtual. We got to GZ but couldn't find it, after a thorough search I read the previous logs & decided it's missing.

I read your log and decided something else!

I don't understand why anyone would log a find if they did not have it in hand or log it. I have never done this and although I am new will never do it.

I had an area I looked in the other day that the cache was not a tough find but they had cut and removed allot of brush right on the hide area. I did not log a DNF but told the owner to check it since I think it was removed with the brush cleanup.

Edited by Bassbully

:) BigStreaker Found it!

4:31:00 PM Super busy day today and this was on the way home until it's time for the next activity so stopped to grab it. UGH, where is it?? Didn't have time to go find another and had an extra container in the car so replaced it. Went to text CO to let him know and discovered he is not in my PAF list. It's not a fancy container but does have an official log in a baggie inside it so hopefully it'll last longer. TFTC #2038

Right in the middle of a 677 day find streak.

Wonder how many consecutive days without a throwdown?

4:31:00 PM Super busy day today and this was on the way home until it's time for the next activity so stopped to grab it. UGH, where is it?? Didn't have time to go find another and had an extra container in the car so replaced it. Went to text CO to let him know and discovered he is not in my PAF list. It's not a fancy container but does have an official log in a baggie inside it so hopefully it'll last longer. TFTC #2038

See...I would have absolutely no problem deleting that log. It's one thing if they don't find it but claim a find with no elaboration, flying under the radar, so to speak...but when they actually say IN THE FOUND IT log that they did not actually find it, that's a no-brainer.

Found these two mingled within a long string of DNF's:

:) Throwdowner1 (13000+ Finds) Found it!

hope you dont mind.. after a thorough search replaced cache.. hope it stays..

So much for 'hope'. Four months and several more DNF's later....

:) Throwdowner2 (10000+ Finds) Found it!

Found with [other cacher]. We spent a couple of nights camping at Xxxxxxx so of course had to go for this cache. The tenting area was full this weekend so we waited until later in the day on Sunday to search for the cache, after all the tenters left. With all the DNF's, including our search, we replaced the cache after contacting someone who had found the cache before. It looks like this area goes under water in the spring when the meltage swells the bankings so not sure if this cache will last in this location. TFTC!

Do you think Throwdowner2 was talking with Throwdowner1 ?

[same guy decides he wants a smiley anyways despite the NM he just posted]

2.png Found it 08/06/2013

Missing

[another call for CO to check]

45.png Needs Maintenance 08/06/2013

Found string no cache

[guy thinks string is good enough]

2.png Found it 07/28/2013

Found the string, no cache :(

[same noob tried to change his log to DNF but posted another instead]

3.png Didn't find it 06/19/2013

string is there, no cache.

[noob found string]

2.png Found it 06/19/2013

Dnf, found string

[another guy confirms missing cache]

3.png Didn't find it 06/04/2013

DNF. Found the string it was attached to. Owner should check.

[guy who alerts everyone it's missing]

45.png Needs Maintenance 05/18/2013

It's missing :-/

Someone else posted as missing-here's the proof (a picture)

[First to notice missing cache]

2.png Found it 04/26/2013

I found the location but it appeared to be missing.

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png Found Munzee tag also. Going to claim for now.

2.png Well, I think I found it. Did not see a log or container, but I found(?) a Munzee QR code plastic thing

3.png No luck, I think the previous find was for the Munzee in the tree, not the cache. Anyway, it appears this has been gone a while.

2.png TFTF

3.png Not found game piece from different game here.

3.png Found the Munzee game piece, but no cache container.

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png Well, I think I found it. Did not see a log or container, but I found(?) a Munzee QR code plastic thing

3.png No luck, I think the previous find was for the Munzee in the tree, not the cache. Anyway, it appears this has been gone a while.

2.png TFTF

Wow! That one is really hard to believe! Why not extend it to:

"Found a spot where a Munzee could have been placed so I'll claim the geocache find"

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png TFTF

Wow! That one is really hard to believe! Why not extend it to:

"Found a spot where a Munzee could have been placed so I'll claim the geocache find"

Cool. There are several hundred spots within a mile of my house where a geocache could go...so I'm going to just bump my numbers up a bit, 'kay?

Trackables also have become easier to find. You don't have to actually see them, nor do you even need to be in the same room, or what the heck, even in the same state:

Discovered this trackable though a friend who attended the xxxxxx event. I would have been the one sitting down writing down every trackable I could get my eyes on, but [work] kept me away from the great state of xxxxx yet another year. If you disapprove of this log, delete it and have a great day. If you don't care, leave this log alone and still have a great day.

It wasn't my trackable (just one I'm following), or I'd have deleted it and had a great day.

Then a couple of days later, this one came through on that same bug:

Discovered it at an online trackables site of trackables that attended the xxxxx event. Thank you for sharing.

What the heck, just start guessing TB numbers and "discover" them all.

Edited by Fredact

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png TFTF

There are several munzee 'hides' near Jacksonville, FL. No log or container to find. The only thing at the site is a munzee tag zip tied to a fence, post,etc. You have to read the munzee with a smartphone and it will give directions how to log the cache on line.

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png TFTF

There are several munzee 'hides' near Jacksonville, FL. No log or container to find. The only thing at the site is a munzee tag zip tied to a fence, post,etc. You have to read the munzee with a smartphone and it will give directions how to log the cache on line.

Some new type of Lab Cache in Florida? I thought all caches had to have a container and a log to be considered a geocache.

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png TFTF

Isn't that an entirely different game, and company?

Isn't that an entirely different game, and company?

They are listed on the geocaching.com as caches.

Here's one of them. GC2HBCH.

Some new type of Lab Cache in Florida? I thought all caches had to have a container and a log to be considered a geocache.

You'll have to take that up with the reviewer who approved it.

Guess you weren't around when all the virtual caches were being approved. None of them had logs or containers. I've yet to find an earthcache that has a container or log.

To any one that has been to my cache A Gated Sitution at a Rest Area GC2HBCH. I know of NO munzees or anything of the sort as I don't do them. There is a REAL container on site with a LOG and I will remove the munzee if I can find it.

The munzee was tied to fence to the about 6 ft west of the gate. Scanning the munzee it referred to the cache ID and how to log it. If you didn't place it then someone else went to a lot of trouble preparing it and placing it with your cache ID and description.

2.png Found Munzee tag

2.png TFTF

No, munzees are not geocaches. It is an entirely different game and website all based on racking up points by scanning QR codes. Many munzee players, many of whom are also geocachers, place their game pieces in, on, or very near geocaches which causes a good deal of confusion.

To any one that has been to my cache A Gated Sitution at a Rest Area GC2HBCH. I know of NO munzees or anything of the sort as I don't do them. There is a REAL container on site with a LOG and I will remove the munzee if I can find it.

Just as you would likely not appreciate the Munzee folks removing your cache, it's not really appropriate for you to be messing with their game pieces. Just make it clear on the cache description and leave their stuff alone.

That's not cool. You wouldn't want anyone to remove your cache because it was near a munzee or a letterbox or any number of other games. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a munzee and a geocache.

No, munzees are not geocaches. It is an entirely different game and website all based on racking up points by scanning QR codes. Many munzee players, many of whom are also geocachers, place their game pieces in, on, or very near geocaches which causes a good deal of confusion.

I'll explain it again. The munzee at the location I identified had the GC code on it. Without the GC code I would not have known why it was at that location or what it was. I then read the munzee and it explained it was that cache and how to log it as a find.

I know there's a munzee game separate from geocaching. However the munzee I found was identified as being geocache.com. Was it a munzee throwdown? Must have been.

:D shortnsweet Found It!

Nothing there

:D noshame Found It!

Found the hollowed out tree but no container.:(

:D kindofcacher (Sort of)Found it!

Did some "insane" geocaching during wild thunderstorms today. On my way from Northern California to North Carolina on a geocaching road trip.

Sort of found it... I'm sure I would have found it but GZ was completely flooded from the thunderstorms today.

4/25/11 12:08 PM Find #633

(yuh, I'm sure too)

:D shortnsweet2 Found It!

Nothing there !!

This cache had a string of finders with questionable integrity:

:( HonestCacher Didn't Find It

Stop by for a great visit with Luster. Quite a character. Spent quite a while looking with Luster's help. Luster confirmed it was missing

:D Teamofcheats Found It!

Guy said it was taken !!

:D talk2cache Found It!

Didn't really find the cache, but had a nice talk with Luster. Luster said the cache is missing. That's it's been gone for awhile and he is thinking about putting one out to replace it. Asked Luster about the his geocoin and he was sad to say he lost it. But, talking to luster was as good as finding the cache. Keep visiting and ask for the cache and maybe he or someone will put a new one out

:D nocacheclass Found It!

luster said cache missing but he may replace one there if you want to check later.

:D goodcounter Found It!

Was looking forward to seeing this cache. Luster says that the cache is gone but we were in the right location. So, I'm counting this as a find.

Because this disabled cache was recently found, we ended up with a DNF. Admittedly, we should have read the log instead of just assuming the smiley meant the cache was there...

:D (1100-ish finds) Found the Remains!

At an the CO told us about his cache which we should go and see because it was so close to our hotel.

Of course we accepted this challenge, and the next morning we were visiting the mall where the cache should be. All tools seemed to work and the final coordinates were within no time in our GPS.

Sadly we found only a small reminder of the cache and after a quick check with the CO it seemed we found the correct reminder, but the cache was gone.

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

First there were three DNFs in a row. Then:

:DFound it

Eleventh one of the day! We found this one, sort of. I saved pictures from the logs to my GPSr so we knew exactly what to look for. I was concerned about all the previous DNFs.

The GPSr led us to the right location, and we found the exact location and angle in the picture from the log. The problem was that there was no log lying over the heart of the tree. So we were at the right place, but clearly the cache has been muggled.

And then from the same cacher, same day, different caches:

We found the hiding place, but the cache is gone. I saved a picture of the hide on my GPSr before I headed out, and compared that to what we saw at GZ. Not only was this where I would hide a cache, it matched the picture from the log. We saw the remnants of a geopile which would have hidden a cache.

We found the hiding place, but the cache is gone. I saved a picture of the hide on my GPSr before I headed out, and compared that to what we saw at GZ. Not only was this where I would hide a cache, it matched the picture from the log.

But right now there are three sticks protruding out of the hole. Removing the sticks did not reveal a cache. It's been muggled. We've encountered too many of these today!

There are probably more...

Edited by redwoodkestrel

In my part of the UK we have a number of caches called 'King of the Swingers' these involve climbing ropes and trees.

I'm nearly 60 and took up caching with my grandchildren I confess I've now done more on my own than with the children.

I know where at least 2 of these trees are. I could go there and count them as a find. There is no way would I climb them.

I won't even mark them as a DNF.

But when Ground speak establish a new log of 'Too frightened to attempt' That's what I'll log. It also includes muggle invested bus stops etc.

Post Reviewer Note

Hi guys, this isn't a virtual, eyeball the tree and log a smiley.

It's a traditional cache with a higher terrain rating, the Tree Climbing Required attribute, and an absent owner.

You're supposed to sign the log.

If it continues to be logged as a virt, I'll archive it.

Found it NO

Well as others before us we uh no he got up the tree a bit then I HAD FITS and down he had to come right now.He is 75 and I AM MUCH younger at 74.I thought you had to sign the log if you want a smiley but as previous older folks did not neither did we. You may remove this log if you feel we did not earn it by only eyeballing it. Happy Caching

Found it NO

We spotted this appropriately named cache but decided to ignore the climb due to our age... MNice job T4tC

Found it NO

This was our final find of the day in the park. ...we found the exact location for this cahce, but we were not able to see and get to the actual cache to sign the log. I didn't have a ladder, my brother didn't want to give me a boost and I didn't want to end up in the hospital trying to climb the large/high branch to reach the location so I am marking it a find even though I physically didn't touch the geocache.

Found it! REALLY

My niece and nephew were thrilled to go searching for a geocache, especially this type, which of course, made me a nervous wreck watching them go out on a limb--it was a very long way so I called called them back. We surveyed the area and planned a different route--with a boost, a grab, a pulled back, some groaning, then laughing, we all signed the log and replaced with much more groaning but all left smiling--it was worth it, thanks for the adventure!

Found it NO

Found with UserX. We are the same age so just marked it found without signing log. TFTH

Found it NO

Well sort of.....I mean, I'm 73 years old and unable to "climb a limb" to get to the cache. Cache description was perfect, coords right on and ...I too could view the cache without risking a fall, becoming disabled and spending the rest of my life in intensive care, so I am logging this cache as a smiley without being able to sign the log.

Found It NO

I spotted this appropriately named cache right away, but then waited patiently for a dozen teenage muggles that were hanging out at ground zero. They certainly weren't in any hurry to return to classes at Largo High, so after wasting 1/2 hour watching them, I decided not to compromise the cache location and left without signing the log. Thanks for the hide in a nice park.

Post Reviewer Note

Hi guys, this isn't a virtual, eyeball the tree and log a smiley.

It's a traditional cache with a higher terrain rating, the Tree Climbing Required attribute, and an absent owner.

You're supposed to sign the log.

If it continues to be logged as a virt, I'll archive it.

Found it NO

Well as others before us we uh no he got up the tree a bit then I HAD FITS and down he had to come right now.He is 75 and I AM MUCH younger at 74.I thought you had to sign the log if you want a smiley but as previous older folks did not neither did we. You may remove this log if you feel we did not earn it by only eyeballing it. Happy Caching

Found it NO

We spotted this appropriately named cache but decided to ignore the climb due to our age... MNice job T4tC

Found it NO

This was our final find of the day in the park. ...we found the exact location for this cahce, but we were not able to see and get to the actual cache to sign the log. I didn't have a ladder, my brother didn't want to give me a boost and I didn't want to end up in the hospital trying to climb the large/high branch to reach the location so I am marking it a find even though I physically didn't touch the geocache.

Found it! REALLY

My niece and nephew were thrilled to go searching for a geocache, especially this type, which of course, made me a nervous wreck watching them go out on a limb--it was a very long way so I called called them back. We surveyed the area and planned a different route--with a boost, a grab, a pulled back, some groaning, then laughing, we all signed the log and replaced with much more groaning but all left smiling--it was worth it, thanks for the adventure!

Found it NO

Found with UserX. We are the same age so just marked it found without signing log. TFTH

Found it NO

Well sort of.....I mean, I'm 73 years old and unable to "climb a limb" to get to the cache. Cache description was perfect, coords right on and ...I too could view the cache without risking a fall, becoming disabled and spending the rest of my life in intensive care, so I am logging this cache as a smiley without being able to sign the log.

Found It NO

I spotted this appropriately named cache right away, but then waited patiently for a dozen teenage muggles that were hanging out at ground zero. They certainly weren't in any hurry to return to classes at Largo High, so after wasting 1/2 hour watching them, I decided not to compromise the cache location and left without signing the log. Thanks for the hide in a nice park.

Goood reviewer....:rolleyes:

Here are a few gems on 2 caches on the same trail that have never been found for 5 years. Oddly enough they only posted a note on a third cache but then that one had been found once a few years earlier, and is now apparently missing.

Cache #1

Found it

08/31/2013

We searched for it both on the Saturday and the Sunday however we could not find anything but a single small shiny nail in a tree at GZ. Likely a muggle went to check out the tree stand and took the cache with them. Our suspicions were confirmed when we found another cache with the same kind of nail.

XXXXXXXX replaced it with one of her containers.

Found it

08/31/2013

We were very excited approaching this cache on the way up to XXX XXXXX. Five years and no one has found it so far... We spent thirty minutes on an extensive search, using hint and pictures as aids, but came up empty. A lonely nail driven into the tree trunk at about shoulder height was the only thing we came up with. We decided to try again on our return. After another twenty minute search, we conceded that this one had likely been muggled some time in the past five years. So we took the liberty to replace the cache with a container and log of our own. It is now a clear small plastic container covered by rocks and branches at the foot of the same tree where our GPS zeroed out. Coordinates stay the same.

Cache#2

Found it

08/31/2013

As with the first one, this one was missing as well. Looked for it both on the Saturday and Sunday.

I had a micro in my backpack for when I found the perfect spot. We left it in a pine tree close to the original coordinates.

Found it

08/31/2013

After missing out on the original XXXXXXXXXX Camp Cache, we were eager to find the next cache in this series of old FTF's. But again, we came up empty-handed. Our GPS zeroed out at a tree just at the edge of the forest, and we extended our search to a 30 m radius. It was evident that many of the lower branches around the site had been broken off and used for firewood. We decided to continue up to the Glacier cache and try again on the way back. Again, no luck. We replaced the container with a micro of our own, hanging it from a young conifer about 3 m west of the original coordinates. New coordinates are N XXXXXX W XXXXXXX but the old coords will work just as well adding bounce and inaccuracy to the equation. I'm uploading a picture of the new cache site for reference.

130+ finder 2.png Found it 17/09/2013

What an nice view from there and along the path! thanks a lot for that!

We easily find the cache place using the spoiler but unfortunately the box was not there so impossible to log anything and not chance to get the bugs :-(

I suspect that people having done a fire there also found the cache as it was not really in a well hidden place...

Thanks anyway!!

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

Cache#2

Found it

08/31/2013

As with the first one, this one was missing as well. Looked for it both on the Saturday and Sunday.

I had a micro in my backpack for when I found the perfect spot. We left it in a pine tree close to the original coordinates.

Found it

08/31/2013

After missing out on the original XXXXXXXXXX Camp Cache, we were eager to find the next cache in this series of old FTF's. But again, we came up empty-handed. Our GPS zeroed out at a tree just at the edge of the forest, and we extended our search to a 30 m radius. It was evident that many of the lower branches around the site had been broken off and used for firewood. We decided to continue up to the Glacier cache and try again on the way back. Again, no luck. We replaced the container with a micro of our own, hanging it from a young conifer about 3 m west of the original coordinates. New coordinates are N XXXXXX W XXXXXXX but the old coords will work just as well adding bounce and inaccuracy to the equation. I'm uploading a picture of the new cache site for reference.

I really hope the cache owner did something about those "replacement containers":blink:

Cacher #1:

:(Didn't find it

Out with [Cacher #2]. Got to the GZ. Found the rock described in the previous entry, but no plastic bag anymore.

Cacher #2:

:lol:Found it

[Cacher #1] and I found the rocks but the baggie was gone.

GZ was cut and cleared of grass; and all have been hauled away. The area W of the fire road and meter are flat and clean, making a search easy; so I believe the cache is MIA.

I had a small pill bottle I painted and decided to donate it. It's not the size called out by the CO so I hope the CO will drop by to replace as soon as possible. TFTPC

They just keep 'discovering' it. It looks like they're all from Sweden. <_<

Discovered It 09/20/2013 Phony Swede Finder #18) discovered it

Saw it on facebook

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #17) discovered it

Saw it in magazine.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #16) discovered it

Saw it in a magsine.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #15) discovered it

Seen in the news

Discovered It 09/20/2013 Phony Swede Finder #14) discovered it

Saw it on facebook.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #13) discovered it

Spotted on facebook.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #12)discovered it

Saw it on FB

Write note 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #11) posted a note for it

I used the wrong type of log at first. My bad. Seen in a swedish magazine ;)

Write note 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #10) posted a note for it

Sett på FB men väntar att logga till jag sett den i verklighet.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #9) discovered it

Seen in a magazine :)

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #8) discovered it

...a magazine

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #7) discovered it

på FB

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #6) discovered it

saw it

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #5) discovered it

Seen in an magasin.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #4) discovered it

Saw it on the net.

Discovered It 09/20/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #3) discovered it

Saw it in a picture on a magazine page on Facebook

Discovered It 09/19/2013 (Phony Swede Finder #2) discovered it

...in a magazine

Retrieve It from a Cache 03/10/2013 (Current TB Holder) retrieved it from (A Cache) California

Grabbed Rusty to use for a Girl Scout Geocaching presentation. We'll get him back on his way next weekend.

Discovered It 10/21/2012 (Phony Swede Finder #1) discovered it

Seen in a 3 year old Swedish magazine. The TB was photographed with the code visible in an article from October 2009. The magazine in question is printed for forest owners and entrepreneurs and has a print of 40 000 plus. Thx for sharing!

Edited by Wadcutter

PoleCat (6,000+ Finds) :D Found It!

Started out early enough with a good low tide. Charlie led the way. Most of the front part of the rocks were slippery and slimey. Charlie checked out another approach and although still wet with it was the best way up. Slowly I climbed step by step until we reached dry rock. Ambled over and over until reaching the top and the flag. Happily I headed to the cache only to find a portion of it. In true form I signed the pole log. Tide already coming in so off we went and waded with water up to my ankles. What a great morning.

"True form"? True to what?

FlagpoleSittah (600 Finds) :D Found It!

I made the trek out to the rock, and found the bottle top that was presumably part of the cache container, so I signed the flagpole and am claiming the cache as found.

CO-please let me know if this isn't a find and I will recind the find and try again next year when I visit again.

Fun cache in any case! Love the location!

TFTC!

You know yourself that it isn't a find.

Cache Owner

Sign away until xxxxxxx, xxxxx, myself or next-to-find bring a container out to the pole

How about disabling or archiving?

i'mentitled (49 Finds) :D Found It!

I am claiming this a a find, as we timed the tide, and made it to the flag pole. My daughter slipped repeatedly on the rocks and since she was bleeding, from the hands and knees, I did not let her climb up to the flag pole. I could not find the cache, but since we made it to ground zero, my team decided on a find.

This was the end of a great vacation on xxxxxxx lane. Sad that we had to return to Missouri. TFTC, we will return and hope to find this cache again.

i'mentitled and othercacher (note: othercacher didn't lie and claim a find)

With Missouri being the 'Show Me' state, how about you show us where you signed the log?

See...I would have absolutely no problem deleting that log. It's one thing if they don't find it but claim a find with no elaboration, flying under the radar, so to speak...but when they actually say IN THE FOUND IT log that they did not actually find it, that's a no-brainer.

And the owner deletes his log....there ends his streak until he goes and backlogs another cache for that day. Gotta love it.

And the owner deletes his log....there ends his streak until he goes and backlogs another cache for that day. Gotta love it.

C'mon Bill. I thought your favorite was on one of Fuzzy's T5's:

"found it yo! I walked by da thing the othwr night. whoa dude, dat is to high cant reech! im guna sign dis 1 eventually yo. Great one"

"found it yo! I walked by da thing the othwr night. whoa dude, dat is to high cant reech! im guna sign dis 1 eventually yo. Great one"

I have found the cache and the ower is delete my log. there 27 of the western movie from dilloman. he claming i didnt log the paper. it pissin me of i did 40 cache that day and now he mess that up to. what we to do?

I have found the cache and the ower is delete my log. there 27 of the western movie from dilloman. he claming i didnt log the paper. it pissin me of i did 40 cache that day and now he mess that up to. what we to do?

DID you sign the log? If not, he's within his rights to delete your find. Signing the log is essential to geocaching.

there 27 of the western movie from dilloman.

Huh? Please rephrase using English. :laughing: