Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

You want a poor example to others a team doing a challenge "found" the team members caches to get the challenge, one of them I could not find before and after I found it where I had looked, I can only guess they maintained there own caches and logged them as found, including replacing missing caches. I am impressed at the 60+km they walked in one day but I doubt others could do it and spend time actually finding the caches, unless they did throw downs.

Throw Downer 2.png Found it 04/20/2013

Hi THANX for bringing us to this cool park ...but I fear Sandy took your cache , 4 of us hammered the area with no luck, the water level look as if it was high into brush...so we took liberty of replacing cache with a camoed water tight bison like tube till you can get out there. We placed where our 2 GPS's placed us so think we're were in right spot..

And the large Lock and Lock is now a bison tube?

Some of this stuff seems so simple and I'm surprised that other people find it confusing. I would never replace a cache unless it was pre-arranged by the owner and I was doing them a favor. I did this once when I was on vacation and hiking...I saw that the cache was missing and the owner stated he couldn't get to it for a few weeks. I let him know I'd be there in a couple days and I could replace it if he let me know what kind of container he'd like placed there. It just didn't seem so complicated.

Checking an area I frequent for caches to hunt, and I noticed several that were temporarily unavailable. And noticed a few that were logged, though unavailable. By the same person who found 37 caches in the area. (Makes me wonder how many they actually found? I'll check mine this weekend for a signature...)

Greetings 2.png Found it

06/12/2013What a pity cannot found because the cache is disabled.

Owner

22.png Temporarily Disable Listing

10/30/2012

I recovered the cache container (which was in plain view) but due to storm damage, I may not be able to replace the cache for now. None of the trackables were found. Stay tuned

Greetings 2.pngFound it

06/12/2013

What a pity not found!!

concerned cacher 45.png

06/05/2013

This one is gone.... the velcrow is all that is left. The area is beautiful though so hopefully it is updated soon!

Owner 22.png Temporarily Disable Listing

06/10/2013

will get a replacement in a day or two.

Greetings 2.png Found it

06/11/2013

On our first day during this trip to (area) we made an walk through the northern part of the () park.

The place for the cache, velcro, was found really quick on a really nice place.

thank you for bringing on this really nice place and for hidding the cache.

TFTC NTOL

Makes me wonder how many they actually did find!

I have logged a cache without writing in the log, in my defence we had just taken a photo of the kids holding the cache but then needed to get away fast as is the way with caching with kids, oh and it was just a clip lock box so yes we could get inside. I have also lost my pen on route once so used the photo method but I would never do that with a cache that required me to open the box unless I actually had opened the box and shown that in the photo. FTF is another matter as how do you prove yours was first, only one way.

Really? Can't say that's ever been an issue for us :) (maybe I'm just a more evil parent........(as in I make them wait until I've signed it regardless of what they say lol)

Yeah, I'm the same way. To me the LOG is the point of the cache. That's just me though. If I can't sign the log then I DID NOT FIND IT. There was a rusted shut bolt cache that I logged as a NM even though I found it. Took me 20 minutes to find it, checked the website to see if I was right. Confirmed that that indeed is the cache and I still won't consider it a find. Not until I sign the log. Maybe I'm overly stubborn. But I've drilled this into the kids I cache with. They actually fight over who gets to sign the log. :)

I guess that's just a matter of opinion. To me if I've retrieved the cache and performed any obviously required trickery to open it then it's a find. To say I got to the area, found the cache, retrieved the cache, but couldn't open it because it was rusted shut and therefore didn't "find" the cache is, to me at least, absurd. If the cache has a combination lock on it and I didn't work out the combination then it's not a find. If the cache contains a field puzzle and I didn't solve it, it's not a find. If the cache is up a tree and I sighted it from the ground it's not a find (although I'd write a note to show it's there and I just chose not to climb the tree, as a DNF could suggest the cache is missing).

To say I got to the area, found the cache, retrieved the cache, but couldn't open it because it was rusted shut and therefore didn't "find" the cache is, to me at least, absurd.

Oh, sure, you found it, but the proof is in having your name on the log. Otherwise, you left the cache exactly the way you found it, with nothing to show for your accomplishment. Maybe it's my laboratory background talking, but to me if it didn't get written down, then it didn't happen. Increasing my find count is not so all-important. I can live without that one smiley.

To say I got to the area, found the cache, retrieved the cache, but couldn't open it because it was rusted shut and therefore didn't "find" the cache is, to me at least, absurd.

Oh, sure, you found it, but the proof is in having your name on the log. Otherwise, you left the cache exactly the way you found it, with nothing to show for your accomplishment. Maybe it's my laboratory background talking, but to me if it didn't get written down, then it didn't happen. Increasing my find count is not so all-important. I can live without that one smiley.

Or this,, What if what Team Tisri found was not the cache at all? Maybe a decoy or some other container that wasn't even part of the original hide. For me, it would be a dnf until i saw the log, or at least what was left of it.

I recently went to visit my family in California, and while I was there I introduced my two nieces (8 and 4) to geocaching. They had a blast and love "finding treasures". It was a little more difficult to find regular-large sized containers, because it seemed like micros dominated the area. So we had to venture a little further from home to find good sized caches that the kids would actually be interested in and able to find themselves.

We went for what was supposed to be a regular sized cache, and instead found a green pill bottle. This was after we had already found a few ammo cans and larger caches, so my niece was disappointed that THIS was the "treasure". I was confused, because I made sure to read the last couple of logs of all the caches before I took them out...well, apparently I should have read further back.

There were 3 DNFs, one said: This cache is unfortunately gone I think.....my uncle took me here because he has found it in the past. The rocks are scattered around and there is no container in sight :( Sorry!!

THEN, there's this found it log: Stopped by here with (another cacher) after Bike-N-Caching in Elsmere Canyon today. (He) had previously found this one but I couldn't locate it. He told me where it was supposed to be but it was obviously not there. We had some supplies so we set a replacement. Cache is in good condition at this time.

So, the exact same situation as a previous cacher who logged a DNF (being there with someone who found it before and can confirm it's missing). And rather than just post a needs maintenance log, this person tosses down a crappy green pill bottle as a replacement and claims the find. So the subsequent Found It logs that I read and took to mean that the cache was still there are of people finding the throw down. This person could have at LEAST posted a NM log AFTER their bogus found it log, so that the owner would know the container needs to be replaced. And the log makes no indication that they got the owners approval to throw their trash down as a replacement.

I wasn't even sure whether or not I should let my niece claim it as a find since it's not the actual cache. If I had been caching as myself I would NOT have claimed it. But I figured I don't have to hold a 4 year old to the same standards and it's not her fault someone left a micro sized throw down to replace a regular sized cache.

What irritated me the most is that this person has a large find count, close to 5000 finds. And I saw this same person claim a find on a night cache that was no longer there either. The owner approved it based on coordinates, so whatever, if that's how they like to play that's on them. But the next log was from someone this person took to the night cache and showed the spot to...still no cache there I assume because the owner never performed maintenance...and THAT person claimed a find as well.

I just don't get logging that you FOUND a cache that's not there. It's not "Found the general vicinity of where the cache is supposed to be" it's "Found IT" IT being the cache. GRRRRRRR.

I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said. Just frustrated and needed somewhere to vent. It's things like this that really drive home that someone else's numbers don't mean jack. Just because someone has a huge find count doesn't make them a better/more considerate cacher or mean that they follow the "rules" or caching etiquette.

If numbers really don't matter then is shouldn't matter if you don't add one smiley, or if you do.

If numbers really don't matter then is shouldn't matter if you don't add one smiley, or if you do.

The statement that "numbers really don't matter," can be understood in a few different ways.

Interpretation 1: Your thousand finds does not compare to my thousand finds. People start at different times, in different areas and pursue different difficulties in caches. The playing field is not level for all players, and every cache is not the same level of achievement.

Interpretation 2: It doesn't matter how many you find, as long as you enjoy doing it. The point is to have fun, not be competitive.

Interpretation 3: The value of the numbers is limited by the legitimacy of the find. A thousand "finds" by locating the area on satellite imagery is less than a thousand "finds" by driving past the spot and not stopping, which is less than logging every DNF as a find and dropping a throw-down, which is less than finding the cache and not opening it, which is less than finding the cache, opening it and signing the log.

I would argue that all of these are true, but my point was number three. Missing out on one smiley is less important to me than having every smiley mean that I put a signature of some sort (preferably a sticker) on a log sheet. I like leaving the evidence behind. I'm talking about personal preference, here, not about deleting other people's logs.

The statement that "numbers really don't matter," can be understood in a few different ways.

Interpretation 1: Your thousand finds does not compare to my thousand finds. People start at different times, in different areas and pursue different difficulties in caches. The playing field is not level for all players, and every cache is not the same level of achievement.

Interpretation 2: It doesn't matter how many you find, as long as you enjoy doing it. The point is to have fun, not be competitive.

Interpretation 3: The value of the numbers is limited by the legitimacy of the find. A thousand "finds" by locating the area on satellite imagery is less than a thousand "finds" by driving past the spot and not stopping, which is less than logging every DNF as a find and dropping a throw-down, which is less than finding the cache and not opening it, which is less than finding the cache, opening it and signing the log.

I would argue that all of these are true, but my point was number three. Missing out on one smiley is less important to me than having every smiley mean that I put a signature of some sort (preferably a sticker) on a log sheet. I like leaving the evidence behind. I'm talking about personal preference, here, not about deleting other people's logs.

My interpretation is different from the three that you indicated, but similar to #2. However, it's not dependent upon some definition of a find. If I go out and find a cache (by whatever definition you want to use) whether or not my total find count is incremented by one or not doesn't change the experience I had (finding the cache). If, for example, I look for a cache, find the container, but a previous finder took the log book, I'd still log a find (and mention the missing log book in my log). Yes, some people might not consider that a find, but that doesn't matter to me because I don't care about the numbers and the fact that the count was incremented by one. If the CO decides to delete my online log (as they'd be entitled to did because I didn't sign the log) I wouldn't complain because the fact the my find count didn't get incremented by one doesn't matter to me either. Of course, I could go a step further and not log any of my finds but I think that the online logs have value, and as long as I've posting logs that I think represent my experience accurately that's how I'm going to continue to play the game.

Hi THANX for bringing us to this cool park ...but I fear Sandy took your cache , 4 of us hammered the area with no luck, the water level look as if it was high into brush...so we took liberty of replacing cache with a camoed water tight bison like tube till you can get out there. We placed where our 2 GPS's placed us so think we're were in right spot..

Yep, it is. Yes. It's a temporary fill-in, he said, "till [the CO] can get out there." A gracious act - sure hope the maxim "no good deed goes unpunished" doesn't come into play here! <_<

If, for example, I look for a cache, find the container, but a previous finder took the log book, I'd still log a find (and mention the missing log book in my log).

This is the time to "throw-down" a log. Not a cache, a logbook - or a scrap of paper with your signature. That's an easy one!

As for the "forgot my pen" excuse, c'mon, people, be creative - I signed my name once by pressing against a wide blade of grass with my fingernail.

Yep, it is. Yes. It's a temporary fill-in, he said, "till [the CO] can get out there." A gracious act - sure hope the maxim "no good deed goes unpunished" doesn't come into play here! <_<

Entitled liars. They did not find the cache. The only one who benefits is the liar. (I assume you were being facetious.) Hurricane Sandy hit six months ago. I checked all my caches that might have been affected, and replaced four.

If I do not find a cache, I post a DNF, or an NM. I do not claim to find a cache that I have not found by tossing down a throw down. That is lying. But, it seems a lot of people lie to get a 'Found It" when actually they "Did Not Find".

I can't post the actual log because it appears to have been deleted (rightfully so)....

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings.

nowaynohow found 4.5lb Walleye (Traditional Cache) at 6/23/2013

Log Date: 6/23/2013

Congratulations on the find, Stormgren-X from Watertown, Connecticut!!

Seriously? The cache that took 12 years and an 8-day canoe trip imto the Canadian wilderness to finally get an FTF? And you happened to stumble across it two weeks later, huh?

Some folks need to learn how to post a Note....

What do you think about a cache that has a lock on it you have to figure out how to unlock, but you arrive, and the cache box is cracked and the lock isn't securing anything. You sign the log, but don't figure out the opening of the lock. Is that a find? Just curious what your thoughts are...

What do you think about a cache that has a lock on it you have to figure out how to unlock, but you arrive, and the cache box is cracked and the lock isn't securing anything. You sign the log, but don't figure out the opening of the lock. Is that a find? Just curious what your thoughts are...

If the container is shot, not much point in worrying about a lock, leave a NM.

Possible a dozen noticed the same and never said anything. The CO should be happy you were honest in your NM.

It's a find if you signed the log.

Edited by cerberus1

I think that's what I did. I'm not sure if I can find it now. It was about a year and a half ago while I was in the states. I went nuts there and found 700 some-odd in six months. I live in Istanbul, and there haven't been a lot of caches around, but we're starting to get more local people involved, and there are a few here that I can still find.

If the container is shot, not much point in worrying about a lock, leave a NM.

Possible a dozen noticed the same and never said anything. The CO should be happy you were honest in your NM.

It's a find if you signed the log.

That's what I figured. I think that's what I did. I found it sometime a year and a half ago when I was in the states. I went a bit nuts there and found 700 some-odd in 6 months. I started caching in Istanbul and still live here, and there aren't a lot of caches around. More locals are getting involved, though, so that's good. Things are muggled a lot, though, too, so it's a little hard to be a CO here. I think I try to keep around 20 active ones. That's enough. Also, because of the muggles, there are lots of DNF=Found Its here. That's why I joined this board.

I had a diff 5 cache that I had searched for several times and couldn't find it (and logged a DNF every time). It was one of those that becomes a mission. I finally called the CO while I was at the cache site, and he offered to come by and make sure it was still there (he hadn't checked on it for a while). Well, he shows up, gets out of the car, and walks directly to the very area I'd searched many times and starts digging with his pocket knife. After a few minutes, he says, "Yep, it's gone." and we start talking geocaching. After a minute, he starts digging again, and uncovers the cache about four inches from where he had dug before. "Oh, here it is" he says as he hands it to me.

Now we could have a whole nother discussion about buried caches. The top of this one had apparently been at ground level when initially hidden, but wind and weather had caused it to sink down and become covered with a layer of dirt, so it was actually buried, even under the "old" rules. My question in this thread is, can I log that as a find? I really didn't want to, because I didn't find it - the CO did, and only after several minutes of searching. The way the cache was buried, I don't think I would have ever found it on my own. In fact, the CO had emailed me previously, telling me exactly what the container looked like and where it was hidden, and I still DNF'd it twice after that. I did, however, sign the log and had the CO's permission to log it as a find, so I did. Of course, after having watched him find it, I could never really "find" it myself.

I suppose that if a group of cachers can go hunting together, and all of them sign the log when one person in the group finds it, this is no different. But I still like to be the one to personally find the container before logging it as a find. Maybe that's why I don't like to cache in a group.

Edited by yelnuh

Entitled liars. They did not find the cache. The only one who benefits is the liar. (I assume you were being facetious.) Hurricane Sandy hit six months ago. I checked all my caches that might have been affected, and replaced four.

If I do not find a cache, I post a DNF, or an NM. I do not claim to find a cache that I have not found by tossing down a throw down. That is lying. But, it seems a lot of people lie to get a 'Found It" when actually they "Did Not Find".

Not sure i would call all of em liars but i do have to wonder how anyone can justify claiming a find on something they did not find.

I had a diff 5 cache that I had searched for several times and couldn't find it (and logged a DNF every time). It was one of those that becomes a mission. I finally called the CO while I was at the cache site, and he offered to come by and make sure it was still there (he hadn't checked on it for a while). Well, he shows up, gets out of the car, and walks directly to the very area I'd searched many times and starts digging with his pocket knife. After a few minutes, he says, "Yep, it's gone." and we start talking geocaching. After a minute, he starts digging again, and uncovers the cache about four inches from where he had dug before. "Oh, here it is" he says as he hands it to me.

Now we could have a whole nother discussion about buried caches. The top of this one had apparently been at ground level when initially hidden, but wind and weather had caused it to sink down and become covered with a layer of dirt, so it was actually buried, even under the "old" rules. My question in this thread is, can I log that as a find? I really didn't want to, because I didn't find it - the CO did, and only after several minutes of searching. The way the cache was buried, I don't think I would have ever found it on my own. In fact, the CO had emailed me previously, telling me exactly what the container looked like and where it was hidden, and I still DNF'd it twice after that. I did, however, sign the log and had the CO's permission to log it as a find, so I did. Of course, after having watched him find it, I could never really "find" it myself.

I suppose that if a group of cachers can go hunting together, and all of them sign the log when one person in the group finds it, this is no different. But I still like to be the one to personally find the container before logging it as a find. Maybe that's why I don't like to cache in a group.

I know how you feel about the hesitancy to log, especially on a 5 star difficulty one. I also always like to be the first one in a group to find, but I do claim the find when someone else finds it. I don't see anything wrong with claiming the find, though. I had one a few weeks ago that I couldn't find,and apparently put my hand on it several times. I called the CO, and he told me where it should be. I told him I had looked there, but then I went back and checked again. It was there. I signed the log and logged it on the site. Not my finest moment, but like you, I couldn't go back and "find" it later. I thought I was calling him to confirm that it had been lost, but it didn't turn out that way. Anyway...

I am too new to the game to weigh in on situations like finding a cache with a group, outside of my little crew. In my line of work, incident investigations, I tell the people filing reports that if it isn’t on paper (in the report) it didn’t happen.

I am passing this on to my two little riders and searching for an hour then coming up empty is not always easy with a 10 and an 8 year old. This has happened twice. Please forgive me for not logging a DNF for those as I am still learning and those were two of our first attempts ever.

If 'rideriderroad' and a date appear on a cache log, I will dutifully report it as a find.

Not sure i would call all of em liars but i do have to wonder how anyone can justify claiming a find on something they did not find.

Possibly because there isn't a universally agreed upon definition of "a find".

Sure, which is why I'll usually make a small cut on the log book, or take a photo of the cache in my hand, or provide a detailed description of the cache and its surroundings, to prove that I was there the best I can.

Or this,, What if what Team Tisri found was not the cache at all? Maybe a decoy or some other container that wasn't even part of the original hide. For me, it would be a dnf until i saw the log, or at least what was left of it.

Perhaps, but if the cache is a traditional then it's meant to be at the posted coordinates. If the cache owner concludes that what I found wasn't the cache (maybe it was a decoy) then it's not a big deal to delete the log or change from a Find to a DNF.

It's not difficult to figure that the cache is at the coordinates, I found the cache so claim a Find, and if it should transpire that what I found wasn't the cache then I correct the log type.

Just a friendly reminder of the purpose of this thread:

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

I know there's threads debating this topic. Please consider taking the debate over there so those of us who just like to see the logs aren't distracted by the debate.

This cache was a micro that seems to have fallen victim to Hurricane Sandy.

There's a string of DNF's preceding and following this log:

:) alitterbug Found it!

On the way to south we had a short stop could crab the cache (left a log paper there under a stone). Hole area has been destroyed.

T4TC

Greetings from Xxxxx

alitterbug

(Member of Team Foneyfinds)

Clearly a case of Cache Out - Trash In .

The second-to-last "find" of one of the most popular caches in the US, before it was archived:

----

Closed for repair today however the lady at the front desk said she would drop my trackable off once reopened. Wish we had made this stop yesterday to take in the view!

----

Glad it wasn't the last one.

Edited by HistDrew

The second-to-last "find" in View Carre (GCE02C):

----

Closed for repair today however the lady at the front desk said she would drop my trackable off once reopened. Wish we had made this stop yesterday to take in the view!

----

Glad it wasn't the last one.

Hehe, i started to post that one the other day...

Surely this guy is the envy of geocachers everywhere. Never, ever comes away without a smiley: :D

:D Found it

We were headed to a bike shop nearby this cache to try and get a new bike post that fits my bike and so right after we did that I went and looked with no luck! We spent like 10 minutes looking all over the tree with no luck. I think it's missing. For all my effort and time trying to find this cache with no avail I believe I should get the smiley

That's funny, 'cause I believe you're wrong.

i am late in logging this because i have been very busy lately. i have just got to logging this one now. ok so while i was in the area a week ago i decided to walk over to this park and attempt the search despite the logs. also because there was an earth cache right next to this that i could try and find as well. now the cache definitely is gone. i found where it was supposed to be but wasn't. just for the attempt and the fact that it never was there in the first place whebn i started looking i beleive i deserve and should get the smiley. thanks for bringing me here anyway!! i absolutely love this very cool park!! also i have been to this area a few times before and love the hot springs, love the area, and the historic building nearby. thanks!!

Searching for missing caches is a lot like shooting fish in a barrel, eh?

i got out out on my bike again today to try and find some more caches. this is the 2 one i searched for today. its almost been a year since i searched last with no luck. you also gave me a hint about a year ago and even with that i couldn't find it a year ago. so today was the day i got out to search for this one. with the last 2 logs 1 a dnf and 1 needs maintnance it didnt sound like the cache was still here and even if it was it may be in bad shape. but i searched for this one anyway for about 20 minutes. during the search i found something that i think is the cache but i am not shore. what i found seemed to correlate with the hints you gave me a while back. i found what looked to be a rolled up log with no cap! but when i tried to get it out it got pushed back further in and some fuzz came off of what i thought was the logbbok in the container with no cap. also it looked like a white spot in black by the only thing in the area. i think that if it was the cache the logbook got tons of water on it through the winter and rain and turned it into fuzz. i have some expirience with making paper and i know that when paper first starts to form it looks and feels fuzzy almost like cotton. in addition i know that after paper gets really wet that when it dries again it can turn fuzzy. i beleive this cache needs some checking. especially after the last 2 logs before mine and now mine. i would appreciate that if you could, could you please tell me where the cache was hidden so i can verify what i found was indeed the cache?? thanks!!

Way to hide that DNF in a drawn-out log entry!

we are on vacation from xxxxx state!! we just stayed a night in xxxx . after heading back from xxxxxx xxxxx where we stayed 5 nights at a timeshare. we also came here to visit my uncle and his wife who just got married recently. yesterday we went out to eat with them at a nearby restraunt called kracker barrel. that also has an old country store inside. i loved the place. it was really nice. there theme was like an old western style. because they had some old and more reccent country music playing inside and also because of what they designed the place to look like. today however after checking out of are hotel we decided to go to a very nice park near by. while doing so i walked to several different geocaches nearby the park. this was the 7 1 i searched for. i really wanted to find a large container since there is not very many of those around. but i am sad to say this one is probably missing. especially with the last log a dnf. a large container like this should be a real easy find. i beleive i should get and deserve the smiley for all my effort and waste of time searching for something that was probally never there when i started searching. i even dropped an iphone while looking that wasted more time. i had go back and search for the iphone. i finally found the iphone but not the cache. thanks for taking me here anyway though!! i absolutely love this park!!

It sounds like this whole game is a waste of your time!

2.pngFound it. 09/10/2012 Found the place but the cache was gone. Not sure, it is allowed to place a cache inside the wall because it seems to be a private ground.

Took picture to proof my log.

2.pngFound it 09/30/2012

Found the (closed) place on 30th of September. The cache wasn't there anymore or "out of reach" so we post a photo-log instead.

2.pngFound it 10/02/2012

The last island on my trip. Before breakfast i went to the cacheside but couldn'd find a cache anywhere.

Like the Cacher before i will log it as found.

2.pngFound it 10/03/2012

Unfortunately, the door was locked. But we took pictures from the outside and from the inside to proof our log.

2.pngFound it 10/27/2012

Erwartungsgemäß konnte auch ich hier keine Dose entdecken, vielleicht ist sie hinter dem Tor??? Dennoch hatte ich mir die Location mal angesehen

Couldn't fine the cache? Let's post pictures! DNF. Oh, wait. It is still there!

Agreed that claiming a find on a throwdown is dubious. However, my focus was not on whether the "thrower" claimed a find, but rather on the fact that he helped the CO by supplying a temporary replacement that OTHERS could find, until the CO was able to get there & do maintenance. I assume that he had the CO's blessing to do so.

Ran across this log by an Aberdeen, WA cacher on a cache we found near South Bend, WA:

I'm calling this a "find" because the last finder stated what's up with this cache a couple months ago and it is still in the same condition. Cute theme though!

I don't think he even visited the cache. He's just mad that maintenance was not performed promptly. Well, I guess it worked because the CO replaced the container that same day.

Yes.. the number of finds a person has doesn't really say much about them, but the number they have lied about certainly does.

Agreed that claiming a find on a throwdown is dubious. However, my focus was not on whether the "thrower" claimed a find, but rather on the fact that he helped the CO by supplying a temporary replacement that OTHERS could find, until the CO was able to get there & do maintenance. I assume that he had the CO's blessing to do so.

wmpastor, what we have here is a classic throw-down, in it's purest form. Including the replacement of a regular with a micro, that's always a nice twist. :P See what I've bolded? That's what every throw-downer thinks they're doing; a noble deed for the cache owner and the caching community.

Assume the CO's blessing? I'd say no. The log, being of course a "classic" throw-down log say's to me "we couldn't find your cache, we think Sandy took it, and we replaced it for you". A decision made right there on the spot.

EDIT: Additionally, the log states "we took the liberty". Case closed, as far as I'm concerned. No blessing. The owner may be OK with it after the fact.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

This made me laugh - didn't even try to justify their Found It log (the hint says, near the bench)...

"Found the bench but not the cache still puzzling over it and may well return. Pleased we had found the other two in the set and a wonderful pond with tadpoles and tiny frogs the trip was still a success."

And here, a Found It for the first stage of a short multi:

"Found the 1st part. Will return when library is open for the 2nd part."

More from the guy who's vocabulary doesn't include 'DNF':

.... after we said good by we headed to are hotel to check in. after that i decided to go walking to several geocaches. this was the 2 one i searched for. i searched for quite a while with no luck. since the difficulty of this is only a 2 and i looked for this cache for quite a while with no find. i beleive this one is missing. since i searched quite a while over here and wasted my time trying to find something that may have never been here when i started searching, i beleive i should get and deserve the smiley. i looked quite a few places. i searched the sign, a few piles of rocks, several baricades with black and white stripes on them, in some holes and groves along the bricks, along the fence, and in a near by pine tree with no luck. and a few other places all with no luck. thanks for bringing me here any way though.

Should have searched where the cache was hidden.

Reading some of these I'm starting to think I should just search the area using Google Maps and then claim a find on the basis that because of the time I spent on it I deserve a smiley. It certainly makes it easier finding caches a long way from home if I don't have to actually find them.

This is a log for a virtual that's out on an island:

We researched caches on the [Xxxxxx] Islands before making a boat trip to [Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx] I to visit [Xxxxxx Xxxxx]. We didn't see this one on the map of caches. Now I see it after our visit. Since we were really, truly there, I'm claiming found status. I'll attach a photo of my wristband. I highly recommend this cruise. See [xxxxxxxxx.org for summer season tours Fri Sat and Sun.

The cache page clearly states to complete two of five listed requirements to claim a find.

A photo of a wristband isn't one of them.

This is a log for a virtual that's out on an island:

We researched caches on the [Xxxxxx] Islands before making a boat trip to [Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx] I to visit [Xxxxxx Xxxxx]. We didn't see this one on the map of caches. Now I see it after our visit. Since we were really, truly there, I'm claiming found status. I'll attach a photo of my wristband. I highly recommend this cruise. See [xxxxxxxxx.org for summer season tours Fri Sat and Sun.

The cache page clearly states to complete two of five listed requirements to claim a find.

A photo of a wristband isn't one of them.

I think that one might take the cake. You don't even have to search for the cache. You only need to have been in the general vicinity and you would have searched for the cache if you knew it was there.

Edited by briansnat

wmpastor, what we have here is a classic throw-down, in it's purest form. Including the replacement of a regular with a micro, that's always a nice twist. :P See what I've bolded? That's what every throw-downer thinks they're doing; a noble deed for the cache owner and the caching community.

Assume the CO's blessing? I'd say no. The log, being of course a "classic" throw-down log say's to me "we couldn't find your cache, we think Sandy took it, and we replaced it for you". A decision made right there on the spot.

EDIT: Additionally, the log states "we took the liberty". Case closed, as far as I'm concerned. No blessing. The owner may be OK with it after the fact.

Yeah...I don't really appreciate the "throwdown"...except in one case where the original container was a small glass vial that got broken at some point, so one cacher put in a 'needs maintenance' log:

The glass bottle was broken so I cleaned up the glass and threw it away. The only container I had with me was a travel size bottle of Advil so I moved the log into that bottle and put it back into position. The owner may want to check on it and put in a more permanent vessel.

There is one near my home where the Cache Owner himself put in a 'throwdown'...meaning he just put in a second container without verifying the original container was actually missing. I was the next person there and the one I found was the original cache. I'd call him lazy, but he actually was doing a maintenance run on his caches...but for some reason just decided not to bother putting any time into confirming that one was still there. :blink:

Edited by J Grouchy

This guy was proud to claim the FTF on this newly published, but already owner-disabled cache:

:) FirstToFib Found it!

TFTF. This was an awesome area but had to walk through waist deep of mukky water. Glad there was a couple more caches I could get. Was in the area to try to get a FTF and do a few others on a beautiful Fathers Day.

But there's more to the story:

[Write note] FirstToFib

Well after searching and sending a picture to the CO. Confirmed I was there but cache was not. Was going to log as a find but the CO never said it was ok.

Never said it was okay, but you did anyway?

[Write note] PNutGallery

How can u log it as a find when u don't find the cache?

Silence.....

[Enable Listing] Cache Owner

Required maintenance is now done and hopefully this will fair the weather and critters better - it's now tethered! After some discussion and thought I'm also bumping the D rating too.

At last, a real FTF? Maybe?

:) CO's Buddy Found it!

I got a text from Cache Owner asking did I want to join in the adventure with him as he replaced the cache.

Almost 100 degree day, sure, why not. It wasn't bad at all, a few weeds, a little water to cross, a few more weeds and thorns, and then an easy climb. I'm betting a curious squirrel took the last cache, he will have a harder time running off with this one, Cache Owner tethered it with a steel leader.

Thanks for another really fun cache !!!! This type of cache beats the heck out of skirt lifters, you have a fun adventure to remember for a long time.

Did you sign the log before or after the cache was placed?

:laughing: Just askin'

From a cacher with two finds:

2.png Found it 05/04/2013

Couldn't seem to find it. A lot of debris frim Hurricane Sandy.

In fairness, when logging from an app (such as c:geo), "Found it" is already selected and the user must remember to change it. I once logged a cache found when I didn't find it. Didn't realize it until I looked at the GC map and saw I had a smilie there, so I went back and changed it.

Edited by J Grouchy

:) Found it

Tried not to disturb the area too much, but couldn't find the cache. Did find a pen the was in an odd spot though.

Finding a pen is close enough...

Found a pen once while searching for a cache. I took it home and discovered a few hours later that the pen *was* the cache.

One I found yesterday:

Found it

06/27/2013

Cache find #65452.

Visiting from Denver. Left a temporary replacement cache until the owner can check up on this one. SL. Thanks for all the effort put in to hiding this and other caches for me to find!

to which the owner replied:

Write note

06/28/2013

It sounds to me like the previous finder couldn't find the cache and instead of DNF'ing it, decided they should replace it. I'm sorry, but how did you know where the cache should be if you didn't find it? I'll be going by to verify that my cache is still in place, and removing the cache that most likely didn't need to be placed. I'll also be deleting the previous finders log if my cache is still in place.

The original cache was so easy to find, I don't know how anyone with over 60000 finds could have possibly missed it...and I basically said that in my own found it log. Honestly, my three year old son couldn't have missed the thing. If they could have a difficulty rating below a 1, I would have rated it as a 0.5.