Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Overly-helpful cacher: 2.png Found it 07/17/2006

It's toast. A muggle got it, or something. We found the log, weathered and worn, down in a deep crevice and had to fish it out with a very long dry leaf of some plant. There was a single magnet left on the underside of a surface above it. The log was completely full. I folded an ID sticker in half to make use of a scant margin on the paper, then placed the log and the magnet in a plastic bag I happened to have with me. I put it back on the underside of the surface above, where I found the magnet, but a good breeze will have that thing sticking out before long. I'll post a "needs maintenance."

Overly-helpful cacher: 45.png Needs Maintenance 07/17/2006

if not maintained immediately what is left of this cache will be completely lost.

Name omitted #1: 2.png Found it07/20/2006

It's still there, still pretty scanty. We added a new piece of paper to it, so at least there's somewhere to write. It's tucked back in, but, as nonetc. said, good breeze will probably pull it out.

Name omitted #2: 2.png Found it08/04/2006

After playing 45 holes of disc golf at the nearby course (the second course ever made actually!) my dad and i stopped over to find this cache. Found it pretty quickly. It seems to be doing alright, although scant indeed. Signed the log and headed to the library to find another one. Thanks for the cache!

<Name Omitted #2>, Canandaigua, New York

Name omitted #3: 2.png Found it 08/10/2006

Rode over to GZ, and noticed a baggie rolled up "In-hiding". Thinking it was just trash, I CITO'd this item and after extracting it, found it contained the log and a magnet, so I can report that it is still there, but no container.

:D THANKS !!! :D TNLNSL :D

51 logs after it went missing, and we finally see our first DNF:

Name omitted #50-something:3.png Didn't find it 09/02/2007

This one may be gone. It was fun looking though

Name omitted #50-something+1:3.png Didn't find it 11/01/2007

Couldn't locate it eiter.

Name omitted #50-something+1: 45.png Needs Maintenance 11/02/2007

Went again - definately not there.

Someone who has visited - please verify.

Overly-helpful cacher (same one as before):7.png Needs Archived 11/08/2007

Sixteen months ago we found the remains of this cache (one magnet and a weathered log), and we put them in a sandwich baggie as a very temporary container. We logged a "needs maintenance," thinking that something needed to be done soon to replace the container before the whole thing blew away. I never would have guessed that people would continue to find that bag for a whole solid year. It has been a few months since anyone has found even the bag, now. Based on the history of this cache and the owner's level of participation in geocaching, I recommend an archival of this listing.

To be honest, I was the "overly-helpful cacher" that started this mess :( . Sorry about that. I was still fairly new at the time.

In a cache that's been disabled a few months due to construction in the area:

Close Enough Cacher:)Found It

Well at least found where it should be as I was about one block from there and started reading the cache page and noticed it was closed. I will return to NOLA and actually make the trip to the top real soon. I was running tight to get on the Navigator of the sea and off to Cozmel and beyond. Another day

Yeah, a block away is close enough.. :anitongue:

Pretty sure this one was missing after a very thorough two man search of the park. I decided to replace it as it's a nice place for a cache. I placed a large Altoids tin under some leaves (complete with a log in plastic and a scratch-off for the next to finder) next to the titular object where the cache seems to have been previously affixed. I can remove if CO objects to my placement; otherwise, cache on!

Didn't think that one would lasat. Relatively well manicured park.

So, let's throw down an Altoids container, for the missing cache!

BIGHANDS :lol: Found it

Try as a may, I was not able to retrieve the cache using all available tools. A combination of fat fingers and a good hiding spot was enough to keep It just out of reach. I hope the CO is ok with the claim of a find. This is a very good series! The next person to this one should bring small hands!

Wow, I didnt know there is a change of thread rule in here. <_<

What Swine Flew means is your not supposed to name names, or post links to caches. That being said, how did the "weird example" ever get published? An obvious vacation cache, with an owner that definitely is exhibiting a vacation cache mentality. :ph34r:

That being said, how did the "weird example" ever get published? An obvious vacation cache, with an owner that definitely is exhibiting a vacation cache mentality.

I'm guessing it's "just" another example of a cacher providing and maintenance plan ("Hey, there's this random guy around here who'll look after the cache.") which turns out to be not -euhm- quite working out...

Anyway, back on topic, a cache somewhere in India with a long history of actual finds/actual DNF's/missing boxes/owner maintenace/throwdowns/photo logs/DNF yellow smileys. Because of this long history, I'll only post the logs starting from Feb '12:

Owner maintenance 7 Feb: replaced missing cache

DNF 28 Mar Honest cacher: DNF

Found it 19 May Throwdowner 1 & 2: Nothing here, placed a new cache

Found it 12 Aug Photologger 1: "Unfortunately I didn`t found a box, but I hope the photo will be accepted as a log."

Found it 14 Aug Not-Finder 1: "...but the cache lokation is fantastic..."

Found it 15 Aug Not-Finder 2: "It took us a long time to search for it carefully and I have to provide a fotolog- the box isn´t there any more." (Interestingly enough this cacher did not provide the 'photo-proof' with his log.)

Found it 13 Nov Not-Finder 3: "Thanks for the cache during our trip to Old Goa and the spyce farm."

Found it 20 Nov Photologger 2: 'Unfortunately I think the box isn't there anymore, but I hope the photos will be accepted as a log."

Found it 25 Nov Not-Finder 4: "Unfortunately we could not find the box. A Logfoto is replenished as soon as we are back in Germany." (And again no 'photo-proof' added to the log.)

Found it Throwdowner 3: "Replaced the container. Thanks for bringing me here."

Found it Honest cacher: "Such a kewl an awsome place.....appreciate the one who found the location...cheers"

The sad thing is, the last finder is a new cacher with only 5 finds under her belt; don't know if she read previous logs, but if she did, she gets a very wrong impression of 'when to log a cache as found'.

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

Found it 25 Nov Not-Finder 4: "Unfortunately we could not find the box. A Logfoto is replenished as soon as we are back in Germany." (And again no 'photo-proof' added to the log.)

No offense to any German geocachers intended, but I live in Istanbul and there are lots and lots of Germans (and other Europeans) who offer photologs in lieu of a missing cache. It is people like that who led me to follow this discussion. :) That said, there are plenty of German geocachers, too, who log "Needs Maintenance" along with a DNF on missing caches. Most of the missing caches here are placed by tourists who don't visit enough to maintain properly, but we are building a little local caching community and we're starting to see more caches coming available, which is good, as before about 3 weeks ago, I didn't have many caches left to find here.

There is a cache near me that I have tried for a couple of times. I know exactly where the cache is supposed to be, what the container is (was) and took photos of the hide location. I recorded a DNF as I didn't find it. Once the CO replaces the container I'll make the long walk back to the cache to log it. I don't see the point in logging a found it when I didn't just because its a long walk or trip. One cache (luckily a few hundred yards from my home) took me 8 visits till I could post a found it. If I remember correctly the only photolog I submitted was one where I was 40+ miles from home and my pen broke (no spares) so took photo of log and the container in my hand and contacted the CO with explanation, who accepted my find.

Logging a find when you didn't is only cheating yourself.

I Love reading the stories on this thread. Anyway I have a log to share that was posted on one of my caches. This is a simple sign post nano in a local park. It is also an X for those who may be working on a challenge. Isn't the fun of a Nano, to unroll the dang thing and sign the log. Apparently the following cacher did not see it that way. This is his log and then the note he posted after I sent him an email. By the way I did not ask him to delete his found log. I merely said that it was customary to sign the log. Sent a picture? Not sure what that is all about:

TFTC Quick grab on the way to get something to eat. Didn't take the time to take the log out to sign.

At the request of the CO, I am not counting this as a FIND since I did not remove and sign the log given the circumstances. I took a picture instead of signing the log but will visit again and sign the log to make CO happy! Part of the experience!

Locationless or Traditional?

CacheNcarry :lol: Found it!

No one was around when we pulled up and grabbed the cache. Was in the process of signing log when security pulled around the corner and stopped to watch us. Grabbed a couple of waters out of the cooler and then decided to leave and come back. We went on around the corner and decided to go look for another one in the area. Came back by and the security vehicle was now at GZ checking out the area. We went over to McWalton's Kilt #1 (which is another story in of itself). That is when we noticed a security guard on a segway on the 2nd floor of the parking garage, which must have been the one that saw us in the first place. Due to all the activity we did not try and go back to replace the cache. Sorry but we still have the cache. Note sent to CO. TFTC and the excitement.

Astonished :lol: Found it!

Im sorry but can't believe that a cacher would take the cache and not return it. You could have come back an hour later!!! We are claiming it and sending pic of skirt to CO to show we were there.

PhotoCacher :lol: Found it!

Found with the Xxxxxxs today. I almost tore the place up before we saw it was in the hands of the previous Cacher. We took a pic a ground zero and hope that's good enough for you.

Wait4Me :lol: Found it!

Tftc

IMwundering Write note

Ok. So do I get to claim this since I was here? I didn't since there was no cache nor log for me to sign but just wondering what should be done.

IMwundering :lol: Found it!

Was told to claim it. TFTH.

LogLater :lol: Found it!

Guess I should have researched the resent logs before coming to find this one. I'm in transit in a big move so I didn't have a replacement cache. Logging as a find and will come back out here sometime in my four years living here to sign log.

Edited by JASTA 11

Does this thread include logged but unfulfilled challenge caches? Here's two from a challenge consisting of DNF-then-found caches, the requirements for which are very clearly stated on the cache page:

Can'tReadCacher1 :) Found it

Down on the -REDACTED- on this cold and windy winter day with -REDACTED-, seeing how man we can casually grab today and tomorrow!! Thank you for all your time, effort, and creativity on this -REDACTED-!!! At the time of logging this one, I had 30 dnf's, more than half of which are on this -REDACTED- from prior visits!! TFTH SL :D

Can'tReadCacher2 :) Found it

Try to log all my dnfs, so thanks for making it worth it, TFTC

This was a bison on a string...

Honestcacher :( Didn't find it

We found where it was knot.

Tie-r Up-er :lol: Found it!

The container we couldn't find either. We did find the "knot" so we replaced the container with a small baggy and replacement log. Ingenious cammo. Sl hope you find this as suitable until ....Tftc

Owner XX Archive

Mia

A short-lived cache with no finders. Well, one finder according to this guy:

Owner X Archive

Checked on this cache after work tonight (11:00 PM). Sorry to say, this one is gone. I walked all around the area and the wooded area, no sign of the cache or homeless people/camps. This was a very short lived cache. This was the 3rd cache of mine that went MIA. It stayed there several days until it was approved, then went missing. I think there is a cache bandit with a GPS around here

Ithunkdit :lol: Found it

Didn't read your cache "obit" B4 going after this one. HOWEVER, since we read your reward notice we, and another cacher, thot what the heck, that's close enough we're gonna log it as found and put it on our watch list. When it is recovered or re-located and we find it we'll just note it and not take another found. Sorry about all the TBs that are missing, we were going to place "Xxxx" there but we'll just have to find him another place.

2.pngFound it 10/29/2012

....while the frankenstorm, Sandy, hits NJ. Well, I didn't really find the cache as much as the hiding place, which was empty. I replaced it with a water-proof match stick holder with an attached handle, to aid retrieval.

It is not visible but can be felt on the RHS of the interior.

If it is replaced the same way, it should last.

I hope the CO is OK with this replacement.

I did not want to have to find this park again!

I will admit, it was a cool place for a visit.

No icon for 'found the hiding place'. Especially since the original cache is in the proper hiding place...

:) Found it

There was way too many people to even think about grabbing. Try grabbing another day

I've got a cache that takes some method of getting a bit off the ground to retrieve. You can easily see it from the ground. I had a "finder" log a find and then in the notes said she could see it but couldn't reach it and that she would return sometime when she had figured out how to get to the cache. I sent her a note requesting she change her log from a 'find' to a 'note'. She sent me a reply off list that is best described on a family list as 'snotty'. She then changed her 'find' to a 'DNF' and posted a log saying how it wasn't fair because she wasn't able to retrieve the cache but she thought she should be allowed to claim a 'find' because she could see it. She later changed that log to saying she wouldn't be back. Breaks my heart (not really).

:) Attended

I attended this event remotely!! Thanks for the chance to do this. Sounds like a great time!!

First event cache that I attended remotely!

Sounds like a fun event!

There were about 90 remote attendees (out of 122 total), continuing for six months after the event was held. The Volunteer Reviewer finally archived the event, but that didn't stop one more person from attending four years after the event:

This was a fun event to attend remotely -- thanks to xxxxxx! Finally, a pizza event without all the calories!

This was on a two-stage multi:

Twoiz2Tuff :lol: Found it!

:wub: Well, kinda. Found the first one but never did find the second. LOTS of downed tree branches so I'm guessing that it's still in there somewhere. Really nice place to hide a cache though

This was a solve at your desk puzzle:

LowOnEffort :lol: Found it!

I loved this puzzle and solved it with no problems. I got confirmation and went to the calculated coords but this one is gone!! I looked for about fifteen minutes and then just ran out of places to look. Sorry for the problems!

I've got a cache that takes some method of getting a bit off the ground to retrieve. You can easily see it from the ground. I had a "finder" log a find and then in the notes said she could see it but couldn't reach it and that she would return sometime when she had figured out how to get to the cache. I sent her a note requesting she change her log from a 'find' to a 'note'. She sent me a reply off list that is best described on a family list as 'snotty'. She then changed her 'find' to a 'DNF' and posted a log saying how it wasn't fair because she wasn't able to retrieve the cache but she thought she should be allowed to claim a 'find' because she could see it. She later changed that log to saying she wouldn't be back. Breaks my heart (not really).

Well since my first cache this morning was a lot like this, and two of us climbed a tree two different ways (an important large muscle still hurts a lot, might I add) to finagle that sucker down to sign the log, I say HMPH!!!

Also we dropped the contents of the cache on our head twice before getting it back in position. It was a very satisfying signature! :D

Well since my first cache this morning was a lot like this, and two of us climbed a tree two different ways (an important large muscle still hurts a lot, might I add) to finagle that sucker down to sign the log, I say HMPH!!!

Also we dropped the contents of the cache on our head twice before getting it back in position. It was a very satisfying signature! :D

We just did a climb today. The cache description says you need to be as tall a Robert Wadlow to get it. Mr Wadlow was a local guy and nearly 9 ft tall when he died. Other logs talked about boosting another up to get it. Couldn't get Mrs boosted up enough where she could reach it so it was a climb for me. Not really all that difficult, couldn't see it from the ground but suspected where it was at, so it was time to climb a tree. Yup, right where I figured it was abotu 15 ft up. Took some figuring exactly where to place my feet so not to get crossed up but even this 60 yr old could make it. Signed log and on our way with another smiley.

Okay, I'll plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court - ignorance was our excuse. We sought a cache on a viewing platform in a scenic area. It was a silver tube like a cigar tube. We could see it clearly, but reaching it would have meant either a risky climb from below or lying on our bellies on the soaking wet platform above. We logged a find and moved on. Later I started reading the forums and discovered that we shouldn't have logged it, so I went back in and deleted the find. This was a couple of years ago, we started caching on our own and had never read the rules - in fact, never knew there were rules.

We'll be visiting the area where it was in a few weeks and thought we'd try again, so I looked for it online. Strangely, the cache is gone. Not even archived, just not there any more!

Pretty sure this one was missing after a very thorough two man search of the park. I decided to replace it as it's a nice place for a cache. I placed a large Altoids tin under some leaves (complete with a log in plastic and a scratch-off for the next to finder) next to the titular object where the cache seems to have been previously affixed. I can remove if CO objects to my placement; otherwise, cache on!

Didn't think that one would lasat. Relatively well manicured park.

So, let's throw down an Altoids container, for the missing cache!

2.pngFound it

02/17/2013

Actually checked all the lights and their surroundings.

There was nothing anywhere.

Plus the GPs signal is all over here for some reason.

At the end left a camoed pill bottle behind the light, which is different than others in the park.

it is on the back of the park, little left to the central of you have your back to the 2 nd ave.

Hope it was OK with the CO.

This park caches do need more hint and more info on the hind to avoid unnecessary searching and attracting attentions to the fellow cachers.

Nice park.

Wow! Second throw down on this cache. Nope. It was a glass LocknLock under the bushes. Not a camoed pill bottle behind the lamp post. Not even close!

2.png UserDidn'tFindIt 02/20/2013

Didn't technically find it, however found where it's supposed to be.

Please see my "needs archiving" log from earlier.

7.png UserDidn'tFindIt 02/14/2013

Cache is no longer where it was hidden. Either discovered by muggles, or based on recent wet log photos posted by other users, the cache was removed.

Bummer, was a cool hiding spot. :/

Magnet Finder 2

Premium Member

:D Found it Found it

02/26/2013

We found the cache today on the guardrail but only the magnetic part! The rest was missing including the log. This needs some maintenance for sure. Tftc

Magnet Finder 1

Premium Member

:D Found it Found it

02/26/2013

I found part of it but most of it is missing.

Found with my Magellan Explorist 510

Logged with c:geo on my Samsung Stratosphere

February 26, 2013 2:39pm

Caches found: 1363

Magnet Finder 1

Premium Member

Needs Maintenance Needs Maintenance

02/26/2013

We found part of the container but only the magnetic part of it. The rest including the log is MIA. Thanks.

Found with my Magellan Explorist 510

Logged with c:geo on my Samsung Stratosphere

February 26, 2013 2:37pm

Caches found: 1362

Edited by Wadcutter

Timeline:

Puzzle cache goes missing.

Lots of DNF's accumulate.

Reviewer fires warning shot.

Reviewer archives it.

A month later:

2.png Found it

Mar/03/2013

EUREKA!!! After solving this a while back, I happened to be in the area and went to the GZ. I looked for a good while and placed a new container at the final location.

Recently, we found a letterbox with geocacher signatures in it. The first signature in the letterbox corresponds to this online log for a geocache at the same location:

Newbie 1

2.png Found it 01/04/2013

Out for a morning hike with my wife. Great day for caching.

Forgivable, because it was a newbie. I tried contacting him but got no response.

Experienced Cacher 1

2.png Found it 01/22/2013

No camo-tape, but definitely a cache present. Thanks! And thanks for not putting it near the PO!

The geocache listing clearly states that the cache is a pill bottle with camouflage tape. I assume this cacher never heard of letterboxes.

Newbie 2

2.png Found it 02/07/2013

Good camo. Took me a few moments then my geosenses kicked in! TFTC. And I signed with a rock since I was on a run and forgot my pen!

I'm not sure what the signature was supposed to have looked like. How does one sign with a rock? I didn't see it in the log book, but, who knows?

Here's mine:

Nonaeroterraqueous

3.png Didn't find it 02/11/2013

At first, I thought we found it, but what we really found was a LETTERBOX. We knew it was a letterbox, because it had a stamp, and all of the log entries were stamped, except for the last two, which were geocachers who got a little confused and mistook it for this cache (possibly the last three, considering that the last one claims to have signed "with a rock").

If it doesn't have the cammo tape, like it says in the clue, then it's not the right box.

I got home and looked up the letterbox on Letterboxing.com. It's box #8, called <Something>, in a series called <Something>.

Incidentally, I never found the geocache. You're probably going to have a bunch more "found it" logs by people who never found it, because the coordinates are almost exactly the same. Those letterboxers probably won't be too happy about it, either.

The next log was a trite:

Newbie 3

2.png Found it 02/23/2013

TFTC

(face-palm)

Experienced Cacher 2

4.png Write note 03/02/2013

Like nonaeroterraqueous, we found the letterbox. We didn't see the cache.

Thank you.

The next one, the last one so far, may have finally found the actual geocache, based on the log, but I can't tell for certain:

Veteran Cacher

2.png Found it 03/04/2013

GC3G1OH fortunately I spotted this one laying in the open, as it was off my GZ by several feet, signed the log and put it back better than I found it.

I suppose it's also possible that the letterbox got moved by several feet to remedy the problem. I'm not really sure what he found, at this point.

Thought this one was interesting.

A Groundspeak Lackey :) Found it

It's a great cache placement but it's totally busted open and no log to be found anywhere. Will recommend archival until it's fixed.

Is part of that quoting someone else...cause saying "archival" in place of temporary disabling shows a severe lack of knowledge on someone who is suppose to know the difference.

Thought this one was interesting.

A Groundspeak Lackey :) Found it

It's a great cache placement but it's totally busted open and no log to be found anywhere. Will recommend archival until it's fixed.

Is part of that quoting someone else...cause saying "archival" in place of temporary disabling shows a severe lack of knowledge on someone who is suppose to know the difference.

Just like at any business, I'm sure there are employees who don't fully understand the company's products. Mail room persons, warehouse, janitors, secretaries, etc.

Not only do I doubt this noob climbed the 66' up the tree to the cache, they call those who have, idiots. In addition, they uploaded a pic showing the micro. I know we are to take noobs under our wings and provide guidance, but can't they bring some basic life skills to the table? <_<

:) Found it 03/10/2013

Please don't be an idiot and climb the tree. Aflac!!!

It's right in the middle of the photo.

Here's one from an old event. I just planned another one and was scrolling through old event caches.

Attended 12/04/2010

I was a stow-away in ???'s luggage. Since he was feeding me table scraps he could smuggle back into the hotel room, I had lost enough weight on the trip to be comfortable in there. I had an important travel bug with me that I just had to get to this event. We missed the event in Athens due to travel plan changes. That made this event all the more important. ??? sneaked me in and left me in the corner. I wasn't in the country legally, so I had to stay concealed. The only evidence of my being there is the travelbug and the photograph of it at the event. I was able to sneak out from time to time and grab some trinkets and souvenirs. But I had to return to the safety of my bag whenever someone came to clean the room, or any unexpected noise startled me. I did have a good time, although I spent most of my time alone in the dark, especially here at the event. I doubt any of the others that attended even knew I was there. Our plan was to claim ??? was a ventriloquist should my presence be discovered. We even had a routine rehearsed should that happen. We never had to prove anything as I was never discovered. But I did have to wait to log my participation until I got back home as, even with a laptop, there wasn't enough room in my bag to type. I had a great time. Maybe next time ??? will ride in the luggage and I'll be able to meet you guys in person, and not just muffled voices in the distance.

Very creative log, but still an attended on a dnattend.

CheapHooker :lol: Found it!

Found the hook and the cap of the container but the logbook was not there, this cache needs maintenance ASAP!! Nice Hideout!

gudsplerr :lol: Found it!

Found hiding spot, cash got muggled, replaced cash with new log and container

These three are from the same cache:

shortarms :lol: Found it!

Found it, had trouble retrieving it, dropped it way way way out of the reaches of my arm. I did put a napkin in where the cache is very cleverly hidden (now ever more so) and signed it.Travelling on to xxx to visit my best friend for the 4th

napkinloggr :lol: Found it!

found this one on the way out of town. I was heading to xxx for a bmx race, and we grabbed about 15 caches along the way.we tried to retrieve the cache but we failed. shortarms left a napkin so we had to sign that.tftc

truthteller :lol: Found it!

Found it but it is truly out of reach

Out of reach? Truly? Ya don't say.....

Interesting...

Log Date: 6/18/2007

Logged 2013-0320: You won't believe this. But, my family and I visited this cache in June 2007. Yes 2007. We stopped by on our family 50 state tour. I was going back through my files and saw this cache listed and checked off but I could find the log on geocaching.com. This has to be a world record for longest delay to log.

Oddly, I had just replaced the log on that cache, and did not find his signature. He said he must have logged the wrong cache number, and deleted his find. A bit hard searching, but I checked another of his finds from a different state, and found:

Logged 2013-0320: You won't believe this. But, my family and I visited this cache in July 2007. Yes 2007. We stopped by on our family 50 state tour. I was going back through my files and saw this cache listed and checked off but I could find the log on geocaching.com. This has to be a world record for longest delay to log.

Oh! Look! Another log from another state:

Logged 2013-0320: You won't believe this. But, my family and I visited this cache in July 2007. Yes 2007. We stopped by on our family 50 state tour. I was going back through my files and saw this cache listed and checked off but I could find the log on geocaching.com. This has to be a world record for longest delay to log.

Oh. Here's one from another state:

And another from June 2007! You been busted dude! Hey! He lied when he said July 2007 was a record, The 'find' in June was older.