Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

From the cache listing page: "Since this cache is so popular, in case the nano is muggled I accept photo logs until it's physically replaced!" (The owner now lives over 6,000 miles away.)

Since the nano went missing, there have been exactly zero DNFs. From the cache logs:

:) Found it

The next thing I did not see was the nano - thanks for allowing photo logs.

Thanks to the owner for accepting photo-logs.

I'm posting a photo with the xxxxxxxxx in the background since the cache is still in xxxxxxxx.

Snapped our photo on the bridge

It was unnerving looking for it, then taking pictures and getting to the other side.

Thanks for accepting the photo

We were bummed that we weren't going to be able to log this find. Now that I've read the updated notes we are happy to post a few photos (Wifey is cheering "Yaaaaayyy! We can log it!" from the background right now).

I was just about to log my dnf on this one as my brother xxxxxxxx did but I see that you are kind enough to accept a photo log. We did search around a lot for this and of course came up empty since an earlier finder dropped it and wouldn't go down to retrieve it.

With prompting and permission from the cache owner, xxxxxxxxxx, and the knowledge that the cache was way below where it was supposed to be, I'm changing this log to a find. Cool!

Found it & dropped it. Sorry

That cache will get archived if a reviewer get a hold of it.

From the cache listing page: "Since this cache is so popular, in case the nano is muggled I accept photo logs until it's physically replaced!" (The owner now lives over 6,000 miles away.)

Since the nano went missing, there have been exactly zero DNFs. From the cache logs:

I'm posting a photo with the xxxxxxxxx in the background since the cache is still in xxxxxxxx.

It was unnerving looking for it, then taking pictures and getting to the other side.

We were bummed that we weren't going to be able to log this find. Now that I've read the updated notes we are happy to post a few photos (Wifey is cheering "Yaaaaayyy! We can log it!" from the background right now).

I was just about to log my dnf on this one as my brother xxxxxxxx did but I see that you are kind enough to accept a photo log. We did search around a lot for this and of course came up empty since an earlier finder dropped it and wouldn't go down to retrieve it.

With prompting and permission from the cache owner, xxxxxxxxxx, and the knowledge that the cache was way below where it was supposed to be, I'm changing this log to a find. Cool!

That cache will get archived if a reviewer get a hold of it.

Unless someone places a throw down replacement with an empty log sheet.

Okay...how about the geocachers who give themselves a team name and go out in several cars, in different directions, and then each geocacher claims all of the finds under their individual names. These aren't beginners. Does anybody consider that acceptable?

As long their sn is on the logsheet or log book. Nothing the CO can do about it. I know a few that do it.

They do it for the ET powertrail in NV.

Looks like they are missing out on a lot of fun. I would never want a smile face where I had not actually been. The game has always been what you make it. There is nobody to cheat in this game except yourself.

583dffa4-1218-452a-82ff-04be2e703c95.jpg

Okay...how about the geocachers who give themselves a team name and go out in several cars, in different directions, and then each geocacher claims all of the finds under their individual names. These aren't beginners. Does anybody consider that acceptable?

As long their sn is on the logsheet or log book. Nothing the CO can do about it. I know a few that do it.

They do it for the ET powertrail in NV.

Looks like they are missing out on a lot of fun. I would never want a smile face where I had not actually been. The game has always been what you make it. There is nobody to cheat in this game except yourself.

583dffa4-1218-452a-82ff-04be2e703c95.jpg

Wow, you broke a church rule by posting in here. :ph34r:

BTW, I know more about Amish than I wanna know.

Owner log:

"09/28/2012 Temporarily Disable Listing

Seems to have fallen victim to construction.

Will replace when construction is pau."

Confused tourist:

"09/30/12 :) Found It

.....This Cache seems to have gone AWOL, probably due to the construction in the area.....However, we are leaving tomorrow and I had one TB left so I grabbed a plastic bag and put my TB in it and then stuffed it into the hole that I thought where the cache would be......Hopefully, somebody will find it and send it on its way......"

:D Found it

I'm debating on whether "found it" is appropriate for this. We were able to find where it USED TO be but only the hook. The cache itself is gone. Whether I actually "found" this is up to (the CO). Just let me know! Cool spot anyway!

Don't debate. DNF it!

:)Found it 08/13/2011 A cacher

Pretty sure we found this one, but only like part of it...I think the other part may have slipped out of sight...not really sure. Oh, btw...there is a hive of yellow jackets that have made a home right by the cache, so be careful! TFTH!

Edited by SwineFlew

Here is a series of logs on one cache

Found it

Found half a cache but since I can't claim half a find, I will claim a full find. Talked to another Geocacher who confirmed my suspicions. Found the bottle top hanging but the bottom half of the cache is gone. Thanks for the fun,

Found it

Found it, but definitely needs maintenance. Only top of bottle is left - contents scattered. :(

Found it

Should have read the logs before venturing out today. Looks like the muggles win on this one!! As prev stated, only the cap and wire remain, bottle missing. No sign of it down below noted. I think the wire around the post was a little too obvious for the amount of curious ppl in the area!! Nice spot for a cache tho.

Found it

Well ... found part of it anyway!!!

Found it

I, too, should have read the logs on this one first before venturing out. Found the wire and cap as others have noted.

Found it

Like the others before me, only found the wire and the cap. TFTC

Found it

We also found the wire and lid, nothing to sign. Might be time to replace cache.

Found it

Got it. It's the same as the others,only the wire and cap. TFTH & TFTC

Found it

Found this last week but didn't know if I should log it, but I see others have. Thanks.

Found it

Found this one on the way to Park. Just the tie as others have said.

Found it

Found the remains of this one on the way to work. Thanks for the cache.

Found it

Found the cap, this poor guy needs maintenance

Found it

Removed wire and cap The cache is gone

Needs Archived

Cache is gone

No reaction from owner to problem

And has not been to site for 4 months

icon_disabled.gif Temporarily Disable Listing

09/30/2012

Sorry about the cache being absent! I missed notifications since I had my email messed up. Will replace as soon as possible.

View Log

09/30/2012

I, too, found the velcro. Counting this as a find until it gets replaced.

View Log

08/04/2012

Found the Velcro

View Log

icon_needsmaint.gif Needs Maintenance

08/04/2012

Found it but missing seen the Velcro tape in its place bummer not a real good spot with the windows right there!

05/29/2012

Appears container is missing

View Log

05/18/2012

like others, found tape still no container

View Log

04/24/2012

Adhesive is there, still no container

View Log

:( Didn't find it

04/05/2012

I don't feel that I found it considering that I wasn't able to sign the log. I did feel the velcro but alas no cache.

View Log

03/30/2012

found the adhesive...

guess when in rome :-)

will count this as a find as others have done....

01/21/2012

found velcro adhesive but no cache

View Log

01/21/2012

Found adhesive but could not find cache or log

:lol: Found It

I was fishing at [this pond] and decided to go after this cache at [this] island when i got to gz i found a note in it~s place saying the cache you are looking for is gone ha ha ha ha those (thieving pirates) so I signed the note and next time i go fishing there i will replace the cache for the owner i tried to contact the owner and i am not getting any response so i checked the owners stats and the owner of [this cache] has not done a cache for five plus years so i am taking this as a found and i will replace next time i go fishing at [this pond].

[edited text]

First he posts a Find It then he posts a note saying it's not there. He even indicated in his Find It log that he signed with with just a letter.

I drive by the site everyday. It's my dad's cache. The cache is still there and doing fine.

Phony Missouri Finder

Premium Member

4757 · 1

Write note

10/15/2012

Um - we think the cache container may have been stolen???

We found most logical location and it contained only two blocks of wood and we posted our log on the "log"

But CO might want to check on ths one.

Phony Missouri Finder

Premium Member

4757 · 1

10/15/2012

Caching in the Springfield, IL area this weekend.

Thanks for placing this cache.

Bob, Lynda, and Mackie

(Signing our logs as a circled W)

icon_remove.gif 10/15/2012 GeoCacher

Looks like owners have left the game. Cachers are logging "found" on the velcro, but cache and log are missing. Please archive to make room for hiders who will maintain their caches. Thanx!

icon_smile.gif 07/23/2012 Velcro Cacher

Found the piece of velcro...cache and log are long gone though :-(

icon_smile.gif 05/06/2012 Velcr0 Cacher

found velcro

icon_sad.gif 10/07/2011 Geo-Cacher

B-Man. (c:geo app)

icon_smile.gif 06/13/2011 VelcroCacher

Waited out some muggles before going in for the grab. Quick find near the end of a great day of caching. TFTF.

icon_smile.gif 06/07/2011 Velcro-Cacher

Pretty sure this was muggled since I found velcro type adhesive but no cache.

icon_needsmaint.gif 06/04/2011 Geo_cacher

Cache is gone but velcro is still there. Please check on this one.

A few DNFs in a row including this:

icon_needsmaint.gif SAMECACHER Needs Maintenance 5/27/2011

It seems the cache has gone.

I checked it around, has been at the right coordinate rechecked it again.

Just could not find it.

Wanted to have it as a 100 for May, but no its has gone to the Bee series.

Please recheck the place.

Thanks

He goes back

:) SAMECACHER Found it 08/10/2011

I went back to the exact coordinates. Checked it twice.

I log it found, but nothing is there anymore.

If there will be no answer from the CO i will try to take this cache over and replace with a weather proved box

He posts a NM and a note asking to take the cache over, but no response from CO so he throws down a container and grabs another smiley. BTW, this "old" cache he didn't want to lose was placed in 2009.

:) SAMECACHER Found it 12/04/2011

Did not wanted to loose an old cache.

Had asked the CO to let me take care of it in the future, posted need maintenance log, No answer.

Today went to the area and looked again for it under all places which may have met the hint in a 50 meter radius.

as nothing there, decided to put a replacement container.

New log, few swag log book and pen.

Officially will not be my cache but as my friends one is nearby, will come back time to time to see how this one survives.

I hope i did not crossed any rule with this, but wanted to act before it gets archived. Not may survives the years behind.

It is no a cameoed Lock and Lock.

Cache on, come and look for it.

No tb inside, all those are gone with the original

Changes his mind about maintaining someone else's cache and pulls the throwdown, while logging another found it.

:) SAMECACHER Found it 08/13/2012

I was trying to contact the CO. No answer.

Like this will let the cache go. No more maintenance, pulled back the container today after a group found it.

Once the spot gets cleared will place my own cache here if possible.

Sorry but it has gone for now.

xxxxxx has took the Tb on 25 July, but has not logged the find yet, neither the pickup.

Hope will do it later.

He follows that with a NA

Edited by briansnat

The log that I had on this topic said "I found the cache but did not take the time to sign the log. Well this bothered me a bit. Why find the cache if you don't sign the log. I do not really like nano's they are so much fun to re-roll. I decided to send the cacher an email. I said that I felt like deleting the log, but I explained that it is normal to sign the log, unless it is frozen in which case I am cool with you saw it or had it in your hand. I rather have a cacher log a find in the frozen situation rather than destroy the cache container. Anyway the cacher changes his found log to a dnf and says something about taking a picture ands says that I requested that he delete the log which I did not do--I would have deleted it, if I felt that way--I was trying to give him a pass. Seriously a picture!!!! What does taking a picture have to do with signing a log???? Normally I would not care but he wrote he did not sign and thought that was ok. Groundspeak rules: find the cache, sign the log, both are required elements of caching.

Edited by 3Woofs

icon_note.gifWrite note

Checked this today, it was wet, but present. Replaced missing 0-ring and put in a new log.

icon_smile.gif Found it

Found what I believe is the "remains" of this cache. Coordinates were dead on but if the cache was tethered to back of the fence post.....all that is left is the tether (ie...rope). CO may want to check on this one.

icon_smile.gif Found it

Now I found this one. My GPS ran wild in this area, but it finally settled down and I found the spot. I even could see it, but because I didn't have the proper equipment I could not obtain it. But I did indeed visually see it. I have a bad knee which prevents me physically from being able to do what I needed to do to actually grab it. Maybe sometime I'll bring something that will help me grab it.

Yes. There's a reason it has 4.5 terrain!

This cache is a large safe hidden in the woods. There's a fairly simple puzzle to solve to get the combination to open it.

:lol: Found it

Found the cache but the lid was stuck tight.

Points for creativity.

TFTC!

Oh yeah, the lid was tight alright. Like Fort Knox, huh?

I've been working my way through this thread for several weeks now and have finally caught up to date. This should be a book!

Great thread for a new guy to read. Teaches basic etiquette straight from the horses mouth.

I've noticed that most posters have very strict rules for themselves but ALWAYS have exceptions to their own rules. Many here have already said that people play for their own reasons.

I can understand the exceptions for circumstances outside of the cachers control but haven't as of yet had anything happen that would make me log a Found on something I haven't found.

Keep posting those funnys!

Write Note : Geocacher

Why is everyone logging this as a find?

Found it : DNF=Finder

Well, I wasn't going to log this but seeing everyone is did, I guess I will too.. TFTBroken Cache.

Found it : DNF=FinderToo

ME TOO... TFTH.

Found it : DNF=Find3er

I am calling this one a find since i saw the evidence on where it should have been !

Needs Maintenance : Geocacher

See it but can't reach it.

Needs Maintenance : Geocacher

Seen these spots before. Knew exactly where to look. Hmmm...a small round empty spot surrounded by dried glue. We either miraculously found an old hiding spot or the container has fallen off.

There's one almost like that here in Istanbul, except that on the cache page, it says that the owner now made it a virtual because kids kept stealing the cache. I'm not sure if it was turned into a virtual before virtuals were grandfathered or not. It's hardly ever found, and I've never found it. I probably will "find"it one day, though, as I am almost out of caches to find in Istanbul (without placing throwdowns), and the most days I've gone without a find is 35, and I don't want to pass that. I have until December 1 to find another one. There are a couple of islands off the coast with some caches that I haven't found, and there is one true virtual not too far away, as well as an earth cache. There are a couple of local guys that are into geocaching, and I hope there will be more interest soon. Anyway, I often find myself in dilemmas as Europeans come over and continually log finds on caches that aren't there anymore.

Edited by bulcacher

:( Didn't find it 11/13/2012

Cache is probably missing, we did not find it.

Needs Maintenance 11/13/2012

Hello. threr is no container at the coords. please check

:rolleyes: Found it 11/12/2012

Spot found, but no cache.

Thanks.

:rolleyes: Found it 11/11/2012

found the makeshift logbook after the marathon race today - tftc!

:rolleyes: Found it 11/11/2012

Location and hint are very clear but there is no container as the colleagues already announced.

So I took an alternative logbook (a piece of wood), wrote my geocaching name and put it where the spoiler pictures say. It has some space for more logs, but not too much.

So perhaps somebody could bring a container and a logbook?

Would be great!

The place is just marvelous!

TFTC and greetings from the Austrian in Portugal!

Well, no container or paper, but here's a piece of wood! Let's write on it! There are many other DNF "finds" and many more actual DNF logs on the cache page. Anyway, there are a lot like this around where I am. Fun times.

Edited by bulcacher

:) [Caches Found] 3058

Found it 02/25/2012

Found the spot, however the container is missing. I had a little baggie, so I stamped a scrap, and put it where the container was. Looks like an animal might have taken a temporary residence in the spot.

icon_sad.gif[Caches Found] 991

Didn't find it 01/16/2012

I searched the surrounding area thoroughly, and probed the crevices carefully, but did not locate this cache. I believe I found the hiding spot and some nearby stones that may have concealed the cache, but nothing was there. There were signs of some animal activity in the likely hiding spot, so perhaps this one went missing. Nice spot...Thanks!

View Log

icon_sad.gif[Caches Found] 287 · [Challenges Completed] 1

Didn't find

01/01/2012

Found the location described in the hint, but did not find the cache. Possibly moved or did we just not look hard enough? Still had fun finding other caches.

Ah! it can be a newbie mistake this. it takes me back to my very first find, it was up a tall tree and i was new to geocaching... I could see the container up the tree and logged my find stating i could see the container. I got a right royal telling off for that but i honestly thought seeing the container was enough, lol.

the moral: if its a newbie dont give them an ear bashing, just tell them they need to sign the log book :)

"We" figured that if "F" didn't find it, it must be missing. But we looked carefully for quite a few minutes anyway. I really didn't want to have this one cache spoil all my smileys here and I was hoping you wouldn't mind if we saved you a trip here to replace 1 micro. AND I had a nice hanging micro in my bag so I took the liberty of replacing the missing one. Really hope you don't mind. Thanks for the smiley.

And what did you find?

Another "can't find 2nd stage but I'll log it as a find anyway" finds.

And then the other logs it as a find because he couldn't find 2nd stage either but if one does must be OK. Sort of funny thing is the 2nd finder (who logged only a note at first) is noted for posting notes complaining about he doesn't like the way a cache is maintained, that a cache should be archived, etc.

Phony Finder 1

1510 · 3

11/27/2012

FTF I think---Well I have been keeping an eye on this one. I also signed the rules sheet when I was there. But with no other info, Im going to mark this one off the list for now. tftc.

Phony Finder 2

11/25/2012

Got out and found this today also. I agree no 2nd cords.like the series hope it continues.signed the rule sheet there was no log to sign

Phony Finder 1

1510 · 3

Write note

11/16/2012

Found stage one just fine, but couldn't find the second set of cords. Going to send the CO a email for help. A lot of trampled down grass around the First stage. Very shocked that I am the only one looking for this. Please make sure (including me) that we ALL log DNFs. This will help other cachers and owners to keep them up. tftc

Reviewer

Published 11/04/2012

Edited by Wadcutter

A find on a cache on our watchlist:

XxXxXxX

:) Found it 12/31/2012

After a 4 KM walk at a businesstrip from the Hotel to the coordinates I arrived this location.

The sun was shining, but the park was closed.

Thanks for showing this nice place.

Reminds me of another Found one I posted earlier in this thread: Cacher lands on the airport, can't get off it due to no visum, but still logs a cache 10km away because he was 'in the country'...

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

icon_smile.gif 12/02/2012 Used2BEE cacher

We found where it should be but the afraid the cache is no longer there. Maybe the co might want to check

icon_needsmaint.gif 11/04/2012 Geocacher

Found what used to hold the cache in place but the cache is no longer there. CO, please check messages.

icon_smile.gif 10/24/2012 Got2Spot cacher

Thanks out on a nice day.

icon_sad.gif 06/03/2012 Geocacher

Believe I, too, found where it should be. Think it is missing

icon_smile.gif 03/26/2012 StringHunter

Cache was missing from the string

icon_smile.gif 03/25/2012 FoundString

TFTC! Found the container but it was missing from string.

icon_smile.gif 03/25/2012 Stringy2

TFTC Found container missing

icon_sad.gif 03/03/2012 Geocacher

No luck today. Found holder but the cache is no longer there.

I was checking out one of my favorite caches so I could favorite it, and came across this set:

XXXX Premium Member icon_smile.png 09/11/2011

We didn't think we'd find this one, but stopped to "visit" any way. Figured we might as well take a look. No luck for us.

Before that log:

Cacher 4 Premium Member 3.png 09/11/2011

Out in the topless Jeep with TFK, Ms Skarlet & 3MudDogs for a fun adventure today thanks to Team Jeep Trails.............sorry I missed this one, but glad to stop at the Pioneer Woman's grave. I hadn't been here before.

OWNER Member 22.png 08/08/2011

We went to visit the cache last week and someone has taken the Ammo Can. They left the log book. I will rebuild the cache and place it in the next few weeks.

Cacher 3 Premium Member 3.png 07/11/2011

Very nice location, sad tribute to unknown woman!

Sadly I stumbled around in the woods for 30minutes today as the GPS bounced all over the place, I couldn't get it below 16metres away, looked at a number of stumps. There was a dude wittling just across the road from the tribute, so thought I'd better give up before he became suspicious

OWNER Member 46.png 07/11/2011

This cache should be in an ammo box. It might be a few weeks before I can get to it. If you are in the area please let me know it it is gone.

Cacher 2 Premium Member 2.png 07/11/2011

Found the cache, but not the container. Cache was actually in fine shape, but just consisted of a ziploc bag and a logbook. Bag sealed ok, but the corner is torn, so I don't know that this will make it through another winter container-less. Great spot nonetheless, and the history of the area is amazing. Thanks for getting us to stop here.

Cacher 1 Member 2.png07/09/2011

No ammo can. Found it in a bag as described by others.

String loggers, Velcro loggers? We submit to you, Magnet Loggers :

Write note HonestCacher1 Solved the puzzle and proceeded to gz only to find a magnet with nothing attached. I'll return when I know the cache is there

Write note HonestCacher2 Caching along with HonestCacher1. It sure looked like a place for a cache but only part of it was sticking around.

:lol: Found it Magneteer We found what was left. Please check out since this is such a neat park

:lol: Found it MagnetCrew We gathered the information and solved the puzzle. The cache magnet, as previously reported, is still in place. There was a place to sign our name on the magnet so we did. Cache should be replaced. Thanks!

Needs Maintenance MagnetMan MAGNET IS STILL THERE BUT LOG IS GONE

:lol: Found it MagnetMan NICE LITTLE PARK. TFTC.

:lol: Found it Magnetized Found the partial cache with the kids before going to the library

:lol: Found it MAG-NET Had some business in xxxx today so swung by for this cache. There was a guy in a car parked very close to GZ, not sure if he was drinking or not. But I guess I creeped him out more than he did me because he left and I was able to go about my search. Found the remnants of the cache and was able to sign the fastening mechanism. TFTC.

Signing the magnet???? :blink:

String loggers, Velcro loggers? We submit to you, Magnet Loggers :

Signing the magnet???? :blink:

Very inventive. I've never seen anyone sign Velcro or strings.

How about a piece of wood that wasn't even part of the original cache?

Found it 11/11/2012

Location and hint are very clear but there is no container as the colleagues already announced.

So I took an alternative logbook (a piece of wood), wrote my geocaching name and put it where the spoiler pictures say. It has some space for more logs, but not too much.

Edited by bulcacher

I've heard of Virtual caches, but VIRTUAL ATTENDANCE at an event???

prem_user.gifPremium Membericon_smile.png 223

10.png Attended 12/12/2012 Spirit Eagle

prem_user.gifPremium Membericon_smile.png 223

4.png Write note 12/12/2012 Well I was the spirit attendee for this event! Apropos as I am also a Spirit Eagle, ask anyone who knows me at a XXXXXX Football game. I was in constant contact with the event organizer right up to the moment she rolled into the a Red Zone! Sorry I missed the face to face, but I was certainly there in spirit!!!

:)Found it - - - - - 18 Dec 12

TFTC! I'm also thanking you for accepting the photo proof. Did enjoy the xxxxxxxx.

Needs Archived - - - - - 16 Dec 12

"Vacation caches" and caches that fall under similar circumstances are also against guidelines. A cache owner is responsible for performing timely maintenance. This is generally considered to be under 4 weeks, not 5 months and counting (and by the cache owner's own admission it will be missing for at least 9 months).

[Cache Owner] Write note - - - - - 16 Dec 12

Cache will be replaced in March, when I visit xxxxxxxxx again, as I am currently not living there.

:) :) 2 more "Found it" logs

Didn't find it - - - - - 10 Dec 12

Like others, we had no luck finding this cache. Did find about 15-20 big xxxxxxxxx below the xxxxxxxxx. Great location.

Needs Archived - - - - - 08 Dec 12

Allowing and encouraging virtual logs in against guidelines. This one has been gone since July 4th...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) ........ :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

19 more "Found it" logs

[Cache Owner] Write note - - - - - 09 Jul 12

Since this cache is so popular, in case the nano is muggled I accept photo logs until it's physically replaced! Thank you and happy geocaching!

:) :) 2 more "Found it" logs

:) Found it - - - - - 04 Jul 12