Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Okay...I guess my first comment did not fall under the topic discussed, so I will delete it. If one of our caches is missing and a cacher has made the effort to find it, we allow them to log the cache. We appreciate knowing the cache is gone so we can get out and replace it.

Edited by J & K

Okay...how about the geocachers who give themselves a team name and go out in several cars, in different directions, and then each geocacher claims all of the finds under their individual names. These aren't beginners. Does anybody consider that acceptable?

If it makes them feel good about themselves and have a happier life the all the power to them, problem with Geocaching as a sport, there is no rule book or refs so it's up to everyone's interpretation of how it should be played.

Play the game the way you think is right and nothing else should matter.

Okay...how about the geocachers who give themselves a team name and go out in several cars, in different directions, and then each geocacher claims all of the finds under their individual names. These aren't beginners. Does anybody consider that acceptable?

As long their sn is on the logsheet or log book. Nothing the CO can do about it. I know a few that do it.

They do it for the ET powertrail in NV.

This is one of my biggest pet geocaching peeves - people who log caches as found but in their posts admit that they didn't really find it. There is one local cache that a bunch of newbies (less than 10 finds) descended on one summer. I know this cache isn't there and the CO is not active anymore so he hasn't maintained or replaced it. But the reviewer won't archive it because so many people are posting finds even though their logs say things like: "would have found it if it was there" or "found the place it should have been", "found the spot but it's gone", "went to the right spot but it was missing".

And then there are the caches that have high ratings for difficulty that even very experienced cachers have a hard time with or have to make multiple trips to finally find. And when they do, their posts are long explaining all the difficulites in finding it, the cleverness of the find, etc. Then someone with six finds posts a 'found' that says only "TFTC". You know they didn't really find this.

I read every post on one of my cache hides and if any look suspicious, I go out to check the log book and make sure they actually signed. So far, everyone has, but if I find that someone has claimed a find they haven't actually made, I plan on deleting it to be fair to everyone else.

I just saw a cache in Italy. No full logs, just snippets.

The last what seems to be genuine find was 5 May 2012.

Between 7 May and 31 May: 12 DNF logs.

:) 3 June 2012

Didn't found the box made a photolog

4 June to 11 June: 4 DNF logs and a NM.

:) 12 June 2012

we found the bench but no Cache. Instead of that we made a fotolog

Followed by two DNF and another NM.

:) 14 June 2012

:) 15 June 2012

We found the bench

:) 16 June 2012

I think the cache is muggled. But with the photo i set it to my " found list "

:) 19 June 2012

cache is gone, however, we found the place and spent some time there.

:) 20 June 2012

we found the right place but the cache was gone.

icon_sad.gif 20 June 2012

aber leider kein Cach zu finden

:) 27 June 2012

The original cache container and log is gone. We replaced it with new log sheets in an improvised waterproof container.

Here after 4 finds of the replacement cache (28/29/30 June), followed by 7 DNF's between 2 and 7 July.

:) 8 July 2012

Coudn't find the cache

From 10 July 2012: 12 DNF, 3 NM and a NA.

As additional observation: the 'finders' mostly are Dutch or German...

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

Honest Cacher # 1

:sad: Didn't find it

08/02/2012

:( bummer

Honest Cacher # 2

600 · 6

07/22/2012

No find here think the kids may have gotten this one

Honest Cacher # 3

5117 · 8

+ Needs Maintenance

07/21/2012

Someone needs to get out and check this one

Honest Cacher # 3

5117 · 8

07/21/2012

I too found alot of swag...but no cache container..

Think it is gone.

Internet cacher

995 · 3

:rolleyes: Found it

07/10/2012

Found from the internet. tftc

Same internet Cacher

995 · 3

Write note

06/28/2012

I found this one from the online cords.... but I have rechecked all of them before I turn in my form. This one is missing and I found a couple of pencils and tattoos on the ground.... may be muggled. But not sure if this one was moved. could mark as found like SS, but not sure. May need checked or did this one get moved too.

Reviewer

Publish Listing

06/26/2012

Published

Internet Cacher is the same person who posted this tirade on another cache...

X Needs Archived

I have replaced MANY of (cache owners) caches... in the country, in the city, in graveyards... Im done... Not even a thank you or any contact of any kind... tired of spending gas replacing caches for others without a thank you. Pull all (cache owner)caches or give them to me. I will maintain them. 42% OF YOUR CACHES ARE NOT ACTIVE!

Just the other way round (not off-topic since the equation in the topic still is valid...) - log in german, translated to english and anonymized by me:

:( $CACHER couldn't find $CACHE

Again was successful and found a cache.

TFTC

The $CACHE is from an infamous power series around here. Obviously the cacher used copy & paste but at least was honest in choosing from the drop down selection. :)

:) Found it

13 Aug 12

Well i did indeed find this cache with no problem . getting it was a different story. i knew this was was going to be a hard / dangerous one after reading the logs but still i went for it .. once i got the the GZ and found a useful tool near by. after getting about half way to the cache i started think it wasn't a good idea for me to be doing this alone and without proper equipment so i decided to come down. all said this is a amazing cache idea and for that you are getting a Fav point out me .. TFTH

Honest Cacher # 1

08/02/2012

:( bummer

Honest Cacher # 2

600 · 6

07/22/2012

No find here think the kids may have gotten this one

Honest Cacher # 3

5117 · 8

+ Needs Maintenance

07/21/2012

Someone needs to get out and check this one

Honest Cacher # 3

5117 · 8

07/21/2012

I too found alot of swag...but no cache container..

Think it is gone.

Internet cacher

995 · 3

:rolleyes: Found it

07/10/2012

Found from the internet. tftc

Same internet Cacher

995 · 3

Write note

06/28/2012

I found this one from the online cords.... but I have rechecked all of them before I turn in my form. This one is missing and I found a couple of pencils and tattoos on the ground.... may be muggled. But not sure if this one was moved. could mark as found like SS, but not sure. May need checked or did this one get moved too.

Reviewer

Publish Listing

06/26/2012

Published

Internet Cacher is the same person who posted this tirade on another cache...

X Needs Archived

I have replaced MANY of (cache owners) caches... in the country, in the city, in graveyards... Im done... Not even a thank you or any contact of any kind... tired of spending gas replacing caches for others without a thank you. Pull all (cache owner)caches or give them to me. I will maintain them. 42% OF YOUR CACHES ARE NOT ACTIVE!

Interesting. Militant throw-down guy who expects a Thank You is not going to throw down any more caches for this cache owner's caches? That's not going to work. Militant throw-down guy who expects a Thank You won't get to claim them as finds, then. I predict he will continue to throw down caches for this cache owner. :P

This is our second location we visit in Buenos Aires for geocaching. A wonderful place to see and to be. Contacting the owner I hear that the cache was stolen. But the owner allowes me to log the cache with posting a picture from the sitting point and the place. Thank you blueberry for showing us a few places in Buenos Aires and for the nice cache. TFTC!

icon_smile.gifThe cache is muggled !!! I search around the gazebo for 20 minutes and get totally soaked from looking under the wet shrubbery. I was thinking about another approach. Just then, a woman comes by with a child in a stroller. She says. "the thing you're looking for is over there". So, I look where she directs me and no cache. Totally frustrated, I look to the old logs for some direction and find that the cache is muggled and has not been disabled. All that time and effort. Well, I know that I was in the right place and would have gotten it if was there. TFTC.

Temporarily Disable Listing

disabling webcam while camera is down ... perhaps the camera and cache owner will come back to life in the next several months

Please, it's a webcam, if you don't capture a webcam image, don't log that you have, thanks

Needs Archived

Last legit photo was a year ago. If the camera is offline or gone, and the owner hasn't signed in in nearly 2 years, it's probably time to retire this one.

Webcam Photo Taken

Took photo at the cache site. Webcam down. TFTH

Webcam Photo Taken

The webcam was down so we took pictures with my caching partners phone...

Webcam Photo Taken

I don't look good in stripes but here are a couple of pics we took. Love webcams. Too bad they are becoming few and far between. TFTC

Webcam Photo Taken

Took photo at the cache site. Webcam down. TFTH!

Webcam Photo Taken

Webcam down... but we took a picture anyway. TFTH

Webcam Photo Taken

Webcam was offline. But I tried to get the right angel. Thank you!

Webcam Photo Taken

I stopped by this webcam while visiting in the area. Unfortunately, the webcam wasn't working so I had to substitute in a confirmation photo of my own. This is only my second webcam but I can see how these can be fun

Webcam Photo Taken

This cache has been on my list since I started planning this trip to Florida. Unfortunately I cannot wait for it to start working again, so I will upload a couple of pictures of me near ground zero near the coordinates

Webcam Photo Taken

Caching our way down to Event on Saturday. Had a super wonderful time with our good friend hunting all the caches. Thanks for putting this cache out for us to find and for the smiley

CAMERA was not turned on so I took a picture of the building where the camera is located

Webcam Photo Taken

Out with user on a beautiful winter day. Pic will be forthcoming, as soon as it can be obtained. Thanks for the cache

Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken

Write note

Does the camera go down at night? Or is it just down right now?

Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken Webcam Photo Taken on and on.

Eventually a log that really is Webcam Photo Taken

On the subject of webcams...

These are logs for a webcam located on top of a mountain in New England. The camera snaps a picture every 15 minutes:

Webcam Photo Taken 08/31/2012

I have attached a photo of my husband at the X. It was raining and the wind gusts, as the other cacher noted, was in the 80+ mph. It was crazy and we couldn't stand there for 15 minutes. We arrived on the observation deck at 1:46! Hope this will qualify...

These folks managed to stay and get a webcam photo that day:

On a fairly windy day even if it's only 85 mph! While doing some Benchmarks as well as the Mt **** 9/11 Memorial.

On the subject of webcams...

These are logs for a webcam located on top of a mountain in New England. The camera snaps a picture every 15 minutes:

I have attached a photo of my husband at the X. It was raining and the wind gusts, as the other cacher noted, was in the 80+ mph. It was crazy and we couldn't stand there for 15 minutes. We arrived on the observation deck at 1:46! Hope this will qualify...

These folks managed to stay and get a webcam photo that day:

On a fairly windy day even if it's only 85 mph! While doing some Benchmarks as well as the Mt **** 9/11 Memorial.

I hear that you have to watch out for the owner of that one. He gives you a week to correct the log, or deletes it. For a webcam, a photo taken by the webcam is required.

My European phone did not work here, so I took a picture of something else.
Edited by Harry Dolphin

:) Found it Found it

09/07/2012

I'm logging a find - was in the exact location, will add a photo of the coordinates. But I really did not feel like rummaging between the stones with all the stuff that's lying there and the wild cats crawling through the cracks. Anyway thanks for taking me to this place - the cache served its purpose. It's good to take a boat to Uskindar, walk to Harem and take the boat back to town. A pozdrav ceským kacerum!

On one of my newer caches that I intended to be difficult. The log didn't stay there long. (-:

More Webcam Woes:

Webcam Photo Taken 01/29/2012

Great view! My phone failed to save the picture :(

Great log! However, the CO failed to delete your bogus find :(

Webcam Photo Taken 01/29/2012

Found

How about a picture to go with your awesome log?

Webcam Photo Taken 07/11/2011

Arrived at the beach only to find a hefty parking fee. Asked the attendant if we could check it out just to see if we wanted to stay - NO PROBLEM. A fast call to TEAM RUMBLE and the pic was snapped. Great view of the water and the sand. Third WC of the day! How cool is that?

How cool would it be if you had a webcam photo?

Webcam Photo Taken 12/06/2010

Easy to find and a lot of fun. Thanks for the webcam!

It's not so easy to find your photo.

a log I saw yesterday :

found the cache, but there was no writing tools so I could not sign the log book, thanks for the cache

(WHAT a geocacher who go out with no writing tools ??

maybe he forgot his shoes too ??)

There is a thread for that too

who else caches/hikes barefoot

Unreal, especially since I saw a guy take off barefoot into the trails when I was on the hunt on Friday. Rattlesnakes are the LEAST of your worries here. I was so shocked to see it.

Am going to say we found this one. We got up to the trees and the rocks and low and behold there a rattlesnake. He was not going to move - except rattle his tail. We left not wantng to disturb it any more. - we had a dog with us. First time we had seen a rattlesnake - end of our geocaching today.

Both by the same cacher.

icon_needsmaint.gif Needs Maintenance

08/25/2012

a live bee hive is on the ground within two feet of the pole, has weird looking black bees in it. and than blackberry bushes all around the other sides of the pole

08/25/2012

I am logging this one as found even though i couldnt get to it. There is a tracker jackers nest within 2 feet of the power box pole. A fellow cache hunter tried to sneak past the hive but got stung immediately, as if the tracker jackers new what we were thinking !!

Keep in mind that this cache is really MIA!! I been there and didnt find it and asked someone if its there and nope it isnt.

Edited by SwineFlew

A little drama on a cache near me from two cache droppers.

07/11/2012 :) Found it (Found it, and didn't put a new container)

Definetly there' s no cache on the indicated coordinates or around.

It's a pity cause this is a very nice place here in Istanbul. We found the hole on the bottom like described logs before, so we made a photolog.

Thx for showing this very nice place.

07/17/2012 :( Didn't find it (Honest Cacher)

17:44 The cache I did not found during my Balkan Caching Tour 2012. All Balkan countries was visited between 11.7. and 29.7.2012.

08/23/2012 :) Found it (Cache Dropper #1)

With 'found', I mean a new hiding spot for a new cache... I think the old location is way too muggle sensitive. I've hid a little glass jar in the low wall with the fence on it.

Coordinates: N41°00.892', E028°59.097'.

I will upload some (spoiler) pictures when I get back home. For now: look at ground level behind some stones!

Happy hunting!

08/29/2012 :) Found it (Cache Dropper #2)

During our vacation in Istanbul, we visited many sights at different places. There we have found the one or the other cache. We thank the owner for this.

The Box is lost but we put a new logbook at this place.

09/10/2012 Write note (Self-Righteous Cache Dropper #1)

I don't get it... Are there now TWO caches in that location, because the last 'finder' (Cache Dropper #2) also has put a new cache there???

09/13/2012 Write note (Cache Dropper #2)

It was a misunderstanding, because I did not know that you (Cache Dropper #1) create a new cache with new coordinates. I only put a logbook (unfortunately without box, I had not a box in this moment) on the old coordinates in the stone monument.

I think YOUR CACHE is safe there, so this IS THE NEW CACHE!!!

Fun stuff. Yes, please, let's be critical of the last 'finder' who just did the same thing you did because he didn't see that you put a new cache in a NEW location, submitted new coordinates, yet the CO didn't change anything in the cache description. Can we call Cache Dropper #1 a 'finder', too? Oh, and according to Google Maps, the "new" cache is about 150-200 feet away from the original one.

Oh, and also, the CO had disabled this cache on 7/7/2012.

Edited by bulcacher
:) Found it 09/11/2012

She and I gave it a good search, but had no luck finding the cache. The most likely spot that we found was empty, so we spiraled out about 100'. Still a no-go.

This is someone that will delete your log if you log something like this on their caches. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I am sooo in shock when I saw that!!!!

Please tell me its a mistake!!

Question: This morning I had the container in my hand. Opened it up and because it hadn't been sealed well, a large family of bugs had moved in. Not sure what kind of bugs they were, they kind of looked like earwigs. Anyway, I shook out the bugs the best I could but another problem existed. There was a piece of cloth jammed into the container so tight that I was unable to get it out. On top of that, this cache was in an area just off a walking/biking trail and a lot of teens tend to hang out and party there. I'm not sure I want to know what that piece of cloth was. (and yes, it looked like it could have been panties). I couldn't access a log book to sign it. I haven't logged the cache yet but after reading this thread, I don't want to end up as one of the "people who don't know what they're doing" logs! Do I log this as a find or do I not because I was unable to sign the log?

Question: This morning I had the container in my hand. Opened it up and because it hadn't been sealed well, a large family of bugs had moved in. Not sure what kind of bugs they were, they kind of looked like earwigs. Anyway, I shook out the bugs the best I could but another problem existed. There was a piece of cloth jammed into the container so tight that I was unable to get it out. On top of that, this cache was in an area just off a walking/biking trail and a lot of teens tend to hang out and party there. I'm not sure I want to know what that piece of cloth was. (and yes, it looked like it could have been panties). I couldn't access a log book to sign it. I haven't logged the cache yet but after reading this thread, I don't want to end up as one of the "people who don't know what they're doing" logs! Do I log this as a find or do I not because I was unable to sign the log?

I dont think there is any rule against signing panties.

We carry log sheets with us in little baggies and I guess we would have put a new log sheet in there and signed it. As for the material in the cache, I would put a NM and let the CO handle the panties

Edited by Ma & Pa

Yeah, if you found the container, I would log it a find. I own a cache that is a tricky cache, and the lid on it can be hard to get off on cold or wet days. A few days ago, someone wrote saying they found it but couldn't get the lid off, and they described it to me, so I let them log it no problem with that. However, some CO's have made their containers intentionally difficult to get into, ie: puzzle boxes, up a light pole, in a tree, etc., and I don't think seeing or even touching the cache in those cases counts as a find. If in the cache description is seems like a pretty straight forward cache with no trickery, then whatever is stuffed into it probably shouldn't be there and you should be okay to log it a find. But yeah, carrying a little paper for such situations is a good idea.

:lol: I didn't really want to touch the "material" any more than I already had. Also, there wasn't any room to put another log sheet in there even if I had had one with me. This thing was jammed tight!

I see the the CO replaced the cache back in August and nobody has logged anything since then. I'll let them know about the current condition of things!

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by Liga9

From the cache listing page: "Since this cache is so popular, in case the nano is muggled I accept photo logs until it's physically replaced!" (The owner now lives over 6,000 miles away.)

Since the nano went missing, there have been exactly zero DNFs. From the cache logs:

The next thing I did not see was the nano - thanks for allowing photo logs.

Thanks to the owner for accepting photo-logs.

I'm posting a photo with the xxxxxxxxx in the background since the cache is still in xxxxxxxx.

Snapped our photo on the bridge

It was unnerving looking for it, then taking pictures and getting to the other side.

Thanks for accepting the photo

We were bummed that we weren't going to be able to log this find. Now that I've read the updated notes we are happy to post a few photos (Wifey is cheering "Yaaaaayyy! We can log it!" from the background right now).

I was just about to log my dnf on this one as my brother xxxxxxxx did but I see that you are kind enough to accept a photo log. We did search around a lot for this and of course came up empty since an earlier finder dropped it and wouldn't go down to retrieve it.

With prompting and permission from the cache owner, xxxxxxxxxx, and the knowledge that the cache was way below where it was supposed to be, I'm changing this log to a find. Cool!

Found it & dropped it. Sorry

Edited by CanadianRockies