Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:)

Log Date: 2/15/2012

Didn't find it without a problem. Got to the site and spent considerable time checking over the few beacons on what I

thought was public property but no find. Seeing that it had been almost a year since anyone had logged a find, and seeing

that those last finders of the cache reported that the log was wet and in serious trouble, I assumed the cache must have

also been bad and worn out or gone. Being that I had the cache first aid kit with today, I loaded up a new red micro and

made the rehide at what seemed the logical place to make it since the GZ on my gps for the cache put me there.

It's on the ground. Before I left I signed the log and am claiming the find.

Hope this meets with the CO's approval. Another neat little place for a FL cache.

Fopund What?

Found it 02/16/2012

On our last day in HCMC we wantend to find this cache. There were a lot of muggels. We searched all over, but the cache seems to be gone. We logged anyway. On foto you can see that we were there!

The place to be!

Kows What DNF Means 10903

Didn't find it 02/11/2012

Decided to try one last cache before leaving HCMC. Got to GZ and there was an elderly gentleman sitting directly across from the cache location and was staring at the electrical boxes, I know he wasn't comatose because he did move occasionally. Waited a bit but he didn't stop staring. He must be an off duty waiter. Why do the waiters in this town stare at people ?

copy paste :

Fopund What?

Found it 02/16/2012

On our last day in HCMC we wantend to find this cache. There were a lot of muggels. We searched all over, but the cache seems to be gone. We logged anyway. On foto you can see that we were there!

The place to be!

Kows What DNF Means 10903

Didn't find it 02/11/2012

---

If anyone ever make a log like this for one of my caches,

I will DELETE it,

I dont know if I as a CO can change status of a log ??

from found to not found ??

I'm definitely sure, that quite a few geocachers from time to time are in this situation. They know that they were there, they don't want to go back to this place (they have been there) - AND they want to get rid of the cache on their geocaching map.

Just this:

They want the cache away from the map (to prevent seing the cache again and to avoid it in your next Pocket Quieries).

What to do?

If they read this thread they definitely know what to do: Write something about the area etc. - don't mentioned that you didn't found the cache. And then move on - you have been on the spot - the cache is only seen as a mark bringing you here.

I really think this is about what we want from geocaching - what is most importent: The box itself or it's surroundings?

Q10 there are rules,

any game is most fun with rules, and the more who play, the more clear the rules need to be,

short and simple.

a CO is supposed to delete online finds, if they can not see the name in the log book,

but offcourse log books get wet or lost, ok fine they can not check it then, and must approve them all,

that is offcourse quite normal.

also a page can fall out of a fully good log book, it is very hard to prove,

that is why I newer delete logs, unless people them self write stuff like : did not find or sign the log,

or I put a paper some where else, it looked like a cache :-)

then I know for sure they did not find it, and offcourse it must be deleted.

if I do find a name in the logbook, that is a full prove they did actually find it,

it just dont work the other way arround.

you see the joke : I drive tru your city, see it all, go home and log all caches in the city..

NO WAY...

I'll post this quote from the OP for everyone to read again.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

OZ2CPU and Q10 I see nothing wrong with you debating about this but please take it to a new topic. Let's not destroy this one.

Thank you.

Edit for typo

Edited by Totem Clan

Trying to get this back on topic a THIRD TIME...

This was a cache with a small, but very unusual homemade container:

:D Sneakin1in Found it 08/09/20--

Found the lid with the geocaching markings on it, but no container or any other evidence of it. I am afraid someone has messed it up.

WN cacheowner 08/13/20--

The lid of the container did not have any "geocaching markings" on it. Those ----'s are sneaky

Two logged DNF's and an Archived log quickly followed.

Knows What a DNF Is 10894

icon_sad.gif Didn't find it 02/07/2012 Well I wanted to fill in 'qrs' Province, but if the cache isn't there then you should a DNF, I can't believe people are posting pictures at the location and claiming a find. I did do a complete search of the area I did find a lid to 35MM film container but that was all. I'll be in 'haa' for a few days so hopefully the cache owner might replace it.

Otherwise a very nice and muggle free park thanks for bringing me here.

This Isn't a virtual? 1 1516

icon_smile.gif Found it 02/02/2012 I had the same luck as the other two before me. However some photos may help. I rescued a frog from drowning in the pond in front of the statue. He could not get out of the pond and nowhere to rest. Just water and walls. He was happy. T4TC.

This Sisn't a Virtual 2 894

icon_smile.gif Found it 02/02/2012 Took the "road less travelled" for this one. Found the rubbish tip, wandered next to rice paddies with people working, cattle grazing and chooks clucking. Next time we come here we must remember the maps, they would make things much easier. Finally arrived at GZ, just to find exactly what the last log said. New padlocks on both boxes. We did the same and took a photo.TFTC. Took photo, left nothing

This Isn't a Virtual? 3 497

icon_smile.gif Found it 01/19/2012 We tried it two times.

First try: some people were working on bigger of the two power boxes.

Second try: both Boxes were closed with a lock, a friendly guy opened us the smaller box directly by the corner, but there was no Cache.

This was our last chance to find a cache in 'aha', so we decided to make a picture of us at the box. Hopefully this is enough for a valid log. Thx (picture is coming in two weeks)

(Note: No picture logged.)

Found it 322

icon_smile.gif Found it 01/08/2012 We found it in the night, tftc

Only missing a month. CO missing for almost two years. Quickly turned into a Virtual Cache.

Even after the cache was archived people are still claiming a virtual find on it.

:) This Isn't a virtual? [Caches Found] 758

Found it 12 Feb 12

#757 2012-02-12 15.00

Well, found the two locked boxes, but no container anywhere around, so a virtual log will have to do. Amazing with a quiet park in this buzzing area.

TFTC / This Isn't a virtual?, city, country

:) This Isn't a virtual? [Caches Found] 71

Found it 11 Feb 12

As the last log : we found the (lovely) park after a long and warm way. The park is very quiet and the city of 'haha' is a beautiful place.

Unfortunately, we didn't found the canister. Only the power box.

So it will be a virtual log if possible. If it is forbidden, do not hesitate to erase this log !

Thanks for this cache. We would never have found this park during our 'teehee' honeymoon without geocaching !

:angry: Reviewer [Caches Found] 2686

Archive 08 Feb 12

Archived, as cache owner is allowing virtual logs in place of maintaining the cache.

:) This Isn't a virtual? [Caches Found] 2211

Found it 07 Feb 12

Seems like this one is gone. I must have missed running into OtherCacher as I was there on the same day, at a similar time according to the suns position in his pictures, lol. Shame that it had to be archived, but that is how the cookie crumbles.

Edited by FunnyNose

This thread works for Earthcaches as well..

:) Found it

02/19/2012

"Had a Problem came 3500 miles with a printed out cache sheet only to discover that when we got to top and coordinates that the sheet we printed out did not print the questions. Plus I coulndt put a photo on the computer or even transfer it to email on a bet. I was inb (sic) the Navy here 44 yrs ago and am digitally challenge and will never enter the digital age too many other things to do in this life that are more fun and important that playing with electronio stuff' tftc"

This seems to be a common theme...

Found it 06/06/2011

"I didnt find it but i was there so it counts....with (xxxxxx) and (xxxxxxx)"

.... who also claimed the find. They are the only smilies in the midst of a long string of DNFs.

Edited by edscott

We logged one cache as a find without signing the log book....

We found the cache in a hole on the topside of a fallen tree, but the hole had filled up with water and then frozen solid.

No matter how we tried, we couldn't get the cache out of the ice.

We logged it as found because we were unable to sign the log due to circumstances not intended by the cache owner.

I'm pretty sure we emailed the cache owner as well to make them aware of why our name wasn't on the log.

Perhaps others would have logged that as a DNF?

We found the cache in a hole on the topside of a fallen tree, but the hole had filled up with water and then frozen solid.

We logged it as found because we were unable to sign the log due to circumstances not intended by the cache owner.

I'm pretty sure we emailed the cache owner as well to make them aware of why our name wasn't on the log.

I would have snapped a photo and logged a find. Around here, if someone can't get the log out for whatever reason, usually a nano, they 'photolog it'.

Post again to save the thread

I'll post this quote from the OP for everyone to read again.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

OZ2CPU and Q10 I see nothing wrong with you debating about this but please take it to a new topic. Let's not destroy this one.

Thank you.

I'll even start a new thread for discussion if you want.

Edit to add: Link to new thread

Edited by Totem Clan
:rolleyes: Beautiful day for caching. Headed here with xxxx and yyyy. Since cache container was missing and previous cacher signed a piece of plastic, I figured I would take another container with me just in case. As it turns out, the container was missing. So we replaced the container with just a log. I didn't have any swag to add to it with me. Rehid per the hint..TFTC. SL

On a cache that had been archived for 5 months:

Found it

11/16/2011

I thought someone had taken it, so I replaced it. If it is all right with you I will log it as a find and make a web-page. Putting it back in action. I will waite for your response.

I cleaned up the geo-trash today... There has not been a new listing created for it as log intentions seems to indicate but there was another log on the sheet for February of this month, but not online.

Edited by RedjackRyan

This cache contains information for a "bonus" cache. It has been missing for over a year now.

Found it

13 Dec 10

Had a chat with the work crew and they told me that the cache was indeed where I told them it was but they had to remove it to get the bridge repairs done.

Hopefully they remember to return it when they are done.

Found it

20 Nov 11

Sort of..... I am logging this cache as found, even though the container is MIA, based on the fact that I was able to figure out exactly what information was in the obviously missing container in order to do the final. I have gone to the dog park (I walk my dog there all the time) and looked at the exact location where the cache was supposed to be and have taken a picture of GZ. I tried to previously contact the CO directly to see if she was going to replace the cache or if she might need help in doing so but got no response. At the least, I was hoping she could give me the go-ahead to log this one as found, since I was able to determine the co-ords for the final just as xxxx did. It seems from her profile statistics that she has not been active since May 3, 2011. Hopefully all is well with her. I am keeping this in a watchlist so that if it ever is put back in place, I will physically go back and sign the log. This was a wonderfully crafted series and it really is a shame that we couldn't make proper finds of all the caches. Many thanks yyyy.

I log micros as found without signing the logbooks from time to time. If I can hold them in my hand, open them up and see the rolled up piece of paper inside it counts. If they are inaccessible it does not count. Those are my standards I have no problem with them. :) This is especially true if the log is wet or the micro container is one of them tiny plastic ones where the log can be difficult to remove. If others must absolutely sign it to meet their needs more power to them. :)

From the cache description:

Cache is now a larger camouflaged pill bottle.

Bring a pen.

Please do not leave travel bugs in this cache.they have a habit to get lost from here.

Note: There is a letterbox near this cache where some of the bugs go.

Pill bottle, letterbox nearby. Pretty simple, huh?

Not simple for all...

:D anylogwilldo Found it 12/30/20--

What a nasty, gross area. Garbage everywhere. Pill bottle has no cover or contents, but found log in a nearby box.

:D whatzthediff Found it 12/30/20--

Gross place. We don't know if we found the cache with the empty pill bottle or the little box that looked like a cache,

:D logginanyting Found it 12/31/20--

We stopped on our way down to the new years party a couple hrs before midnight. The area was packed with people. No one noticed us stopping. Quick find. Signed the letter box as the original container was empty. Thanks for the cache

Maybe they could have just scribbled their name in the dirt using a stick?

Here are my "2 cents:" Although by to days standards it's probably $14.37!

I never log a cache as a find if I didn't actually find it within the guidelines set by the cache owners listing. I have found 2 prevaricate caches and those are a little difficult to feel okay about but I did claim them as found. I take steps to assure that I do not log a find of the same cache twice, although repete visitis draw a note at the minimum. I also reconcile my finds list in my Garmin Oregon with Gsak to assure that my data entry is accurate, which is all to often lacking. If you can not be honest with yourself who are you going to be honest with?

I own a cache that requires the finder to figure out the combination to a lock to open the container which carries the appropriate difficulty. The location of the combination is given in the hint. Occasionally a cacher will log the find with a note similar to: "Found the cache container but there was a combination lock on it and could not figure out how to open the box. Claiming as a find." I typically send a message to he finder that the point was to figure out how to open the box and let them know I am deleting the find log. I do verify that the logs in this cache match the finds claimed on the cache page. I do not do this for all of my caches.

If you can not be honest with yourself who are you going to be honest with?

Caching is just a microcosm of real life and it's failings.

Found it

05 Sep 10

If my calculated coordinates were correct, then all I found was two electrical tie-wraps on a tree branch. I signed a pice of stiff paper an wrapped it in the tie-wraps and wil now wait to here from the cache owner. If my coordinates were incorrect then I will change thsi to a DNF.

Here are my "2 cents:" Although by to days standards it's probably $14.37!

I never log a cache as a find if I didn't actually find it within the guidelines set by the cache owners listing. I have found 2 prevaricate caches and those are a little difficult to feel okay about but I did claim them as found. I take steps to assure that I do not log a find of the same cache twice, although repete visitis draw a note at the minimum. I also reconcile my finds list in my Garmin Oregon with Gsak to assure that my data entry is accurate, which is all to often lacking. If you can not be honest with yourself who are you going to be honest with?

I own a cache that requires the finder to figure out the combination to a lock to open the container which carries the appropriate difficulty. The location of the combination is given in the hint. Occasionally a cacher will log the find with a note similar to: "Found the cache container but there was a combination lock on it and could not figure out how to open the box. Claiming as a find." I typically send a message to he finder that the point was to figure out how to open the box and let them know I am deleting the find log. I do verify that the logs in this cache match the finds claimed on the cache page. I do not do this for all of my caches.

If you can not be honest with yourself who are you going to be honest with?

Caching is just a microcosm of real life and it's failings.

+1 (or as many as i can give)

Found it

05 Sep 10

If my calculated coordinates were correct, then all I found was two electrical tie-wraps on a tree branch. I signed a pice of stiff paper an wrapped it in the tie-wraps and wil now wait to here from the cache owner. If my coordinates were incorrect then I will change thsi to a DNF.

I always fidn it funny that they leave it up tot eh cache owner to make the decision to delete the log. Why not log a Note (or *gasp* a DNF), and see what the owner says?

This was a 2.5/1.5 with 'no rappelling needed' in the description:

:D Found it 06/11/20-- I saw the cache, but couldn't reach it. Thought about rapelling to retrieve it, but the will to live overtook the will to retrieve the cache

The logger has over 16K in 'finds'.

OK, this game is fun. Let's refer to this cache as: "Scenic View In Some Homeless Guy's Living Room"

:) DidIDoThat - Found It 05/20/xxxx -- I know I found this, but just discovered today I didn't log it. I can describe it to you if you would like. I can't remember what day it was, but it was around that day. Thanks for hiding this. Too bad people had to junk up the spot. It's a pretty place.

:) IDidTheRightThingOrNot - Found It 08/12/xxxx -- OK marking this one as found BUT.... while I did find the contents of the cache, the container itself was long gone. I gathered up all the swag that was worth salvaging and took it with me. There is also a bum living in a tent about 5-10 yards from GZ who did NOT seem happy we were hanging around his "house".

(Hint: If you take the cache with you - log a NM or NA plzkthx.)

:) IFoundSumthinDoesThatCount - Found It 08/12/xxxx -- "Found" with IDidTheRightThingOrNot, but this one is missing. Cache swag scattered and log scraps around

:) HatesGettingStabbed - Found It 08/20/xxxx -- Also marking as found since we found the bum's camoflaged tent, and did not want to get stabbed.

:) HeyEverybodyElseDidIt - Found It 09/24/xxxx -- ........nuf said

:( KnowsWhatDNFMeans - Didn't Find It 11/07/xxxx -- After the bum came around I decided to leave. To bad I had to wait on the rain to actually look for it.

:( MakingUpForOthers - Didn't Find It 01/07/xxxx -- DNF

:( MakingUpForOthers - Didn't Find It 01/07/xxxx -- DNF, maybe muggled by the person in the tent

(Yeah, really, this cacher logged two DNFs on the same day...)

:) ProtestBySmiley - Fount It 01/18/xxxx - I might as well mark it "found" like everyone else cause I was there and looked for about 10 minutes and it's obviously is not there. I assume no one is checking this cause why would you put a cache so close to a homeless persons home any way. It needs to be deactivated or moved. The old house is the only reason to go out there. So why don't ya put one by it.

The last guy is my hero, btw! LOL!

As a fascinating aside, there are no "needs maintenance" or better still "needs archived" logs on this cache. Not a one. This series of logs just makes me laugh for some reason. So I'm sure the homeless person will continue to receive guests at his camp site.

Edited by Mr.Benchmark

:sad: Preparing for a trip to Texas and found 5 different caches logged as finds when the cache was missing.

Honest Cacher

Premium Member

314 · 2

Needs Maintenance

02/28/2012

I laughed out loud at this one. Definitely found the spot, but the cache is gone and the pen is still dangling. Following the rule of 'must sign the log', I'm not counting it as a find, but definitely counting is as a smilie :)

Thanks for some fun on the old highway.

And will someone please go repair the cache? It's too good to be gone. Thanks, ss

Pen finder/logger

:D Found it

02/25/2012

Found where it used to be and the pen but I think the cache blow away

Phony finder/next time

Premium Member

351 · 6

11/24/2011

Looked for awhile but didn't spot it. Try again next time I'm in town.

Honest Cacher # 1

Premium Member

209 · 2

:sad: Didn't find it

09/20/2011

Loved the rd but no smiley.

Honest Cacer # 2

Premium Member

10352 · 9

04/10/2011

This was a Dead End for us. Nothing but thorns at the base of all of the trees! Yeah, well!

String Finder/logger # 1

Premium Member

03/03/2012

Counting this one as found....cache missing just string left!

String Finder/logger # 2

03/03/2012

Found string, nothing attached.

Honest Cacher A

02/05/2012

Out with scouts

Honest Cacher B

Premium Member

10/11/2011

I tried to find this one today, but all I found was some fishing line hanging from a tree with nothing on it.

Honest Cacher C

Premium Member

09/24/2011

Found the "suspension system" with no cache attached. Hopped the wall to search around with no luck.

Gone Cache Finder

Premium Member

10/09/2011

Found exact location of target (cache). Cache had been removed. Site had been showed signs of traffic. Old ITTHC member.

Honest Cacher

Premium Member

06/01/2011

Oooooh noooo I don't like the look of those ants.. Coming back with gloves and long sleeves :)

Park Manager note

Premium Member

... Write note

03/03/2012

This geocache is not in compliance with park regulations and will be removed.

Honest Cacher 1

12/31/2011

Did not find this. Out with Honest Cacher 2 and some "new eyes", but still couldn't locate. Great hike!

Honest Cacher 2

12/31/2011

Looked for quite a while for this one. I think this one needs maintenance. Could the owner please look into this? Thanks

Phony Cache Finder

Premium Member

Needs Maintenance

08/13/2011

See previous log...

Phony Cache Finder

Premium Member

08/10/2011

Claiming the find because I found bits of a log and a small plastic toy thing that "should" only be in a cache way out here. Story was great, not to mention the ride!!! TFTC. Will post a "needs repair" log next.

Honest Cacher 3

Premium Member

05/11/2011

We had three people looking for this one with nothing to turn up. I looked at the hint and couldn't even find a rock like that. I did see a spot where it could have been.

Honest Cacher 4

Premium Member

04/25/2011

Looked all around and came up empty.

Edited by Wadcutter

And also a throwdown cacher. They throw down a cache and then gives the owner a favorite point for a cache that wasn't there, and then thanks the CO for the hide which is no longer there. But they got their smiley.

Wine Drinking Throwdown Cacher

Premium Member

1402 · 1

01/16/2012

Decided to go wander-caching. Who knows I'll end up. It's amazing how I go out caching and find a winery. It would be a shame to loose a ache in such a great area so I replace the cache and log. It gets a favorite point cause the wine was great!!'Thanks for the hide!!

Honest No Find Cacher 1

10/23/2011

No longer here. Needs to be replaced.

Honest No Find Cacher 2

Premium Member

6845 · 3

06/19/2011

Branch broke. Swing gone. No smile for us.

icon_smile.gif Found it 02/29/2012

Kind of found it - found the replacement I just hid. I used to grab lunch at the place across the street that is referenced in the cache title whenever in MMU on business. Found the hint and it was empty above, below and behind. I had a small silver bison tube and a couple magnets with me, so tucked in a new log and hid the replacement (behind the hint object). I only had scotch tape with me so can't guarantee tape will hold magnets to cache long if no CO or cacher maintenance. Hope this helps the CO and other cachers.

Nope. You didn't find anything...

Here's one that popped up on my PQ today:

Cacher Got To Get A Smiley

Premium Member

02/11/2012

The youngest had a bball game and this one was one of the few stragglers left in Pana only being a few blocks away we decided to check on it again. We still couldn't find it so I replaced it for you...the cache is 29 ft from original coords new coords are.... N 39°22. 181° W 089°05.340° these coords averages within 3 ft....tftc!!

Cacher Got To Get A Smiley (3 months previous)

Premium Member

11/13/2011

Out with my girls today, this one was on our route, but it wasn't there...Even went and got a pro who's found this one before and she agreed it wasn't there... :( Thanks anyway...

Honest No Find Cacher 1

Premium Member

4885 · 6

10/26/2011

i think ,i said think this one could be MIA.would like to know if it's there or not.

thanks for the hide,even though i no find it,THIS TIME.

Honest No Find Cacher 2

Premium Member

10/26/2011

no luck today

Honest No Find Cacher 3

Premium Member

10/20/2011

(Another cacher, no log) and I searched a good while, but DNF.

:D 11/13/2011 by cacher

517, found some debree possibly from previous cache, no container, no log -- the cache is missing

NOTE 09/25/2011 by cacher

After reading previous logs we didn't expect to find a cache here, but cacher b wanted to see this place because his dad worked here many many years ago. will keep a watch on this one and if any one states it is there - we will be back to sign. TFTH

:( 03/06/2012 by Honestcacher

??

:( 03/06/2012 by Truthfulcacher

Yes, dozer work has rearranged area. Survey marker is in place and skeleton of old Honey Farm sign is standing.

:D 03/04/2012 by I'llloganything

Found at 11:04am

Well actually, we found the cracked pill bottle buried in the sand at GZ. So, added a new log and hid it close by. Needs a new container, but otherwise is good to go.

:( 02/20/2012 by RealCacher

Cache appears to be missing. Fence is gone.

I "found" a cache last weekend. Original container has been missing years. Someone threw down a film canister then that went missing. Last year someone found a baggie in the general vicinity of the cache (may or may not have been related to the cache), put an old receipt inside and people have been logging finds on that since.

Anything to get that 800th find.

This is a 3 star difficulty cache. It's been out since 02/15/2012 with 15 finds and 1 no find.

Throw Down Cacher

Premium Member 800 · 1

:D Found it 03/24/2012

After talking to (another cacher) earlier this week, I know this one went missing. I replaced with a camoed pill bottle in the same spot. TFTC!

OMG! Just realized that this is #800 for me! Woo Hoo!

Previous Finder

Member 364

:D Found it 03/14/2012

No need to check on this one---- it's still there and in great shape. Been looking forward to finding a cache like this one. Got lucky and found rather quick. Great Job (Cache owner)!

Edited by Wadcutter
icon_smile.gifAirborneCustomer found A Bison Tube

OH MY new WIDER trail now, in the past couple days... GZ was a bull dozed mess. Replaced cache with New container. TFTC

icon_smile.gifAirborneHijacker found A Bison Tube

Great morning caching with AirborneCustomer today...

Path is now a road, AirborneCustomer replaced the cache as we were thinking it may have been plowed under

TFTC, SL, AirborneHijacker

A grader had gone down the old woods road and leveled out some potholes, but it had always been a road and the original cache was still safely in it's place. The "New Container" was a recycled Airborne Container literally tossed on the ground. The geocache is titled "A Bison Tube" and is described as "a bit different from your average Bison Tube Hide." While an Airborne Container certainly is different than a Bison Tube hide, it wasn't the toy bison with a hole just the right size for a preform that they missed altogether.

(If the logs hadn't been deleted by the CO, I'd do a better job of hiding which cache it was. Go ahead and look, nobody's getting outed...)

Edited by Too Tall John

The caches has not been missing folks have just been missing the cache. Some of the previous logs.

:D 03/23/2012 by doitright

Needs a new log. Great cache! Tftf!

:D 03/23/2012 by learneditright

TFTC neat hide work for owners of the cache site out cachin with doitright

:D 03/20/2012 by realcacher

On our way to California and caching along the way. SL - TFTC

:D 03/07/2012 by Illloganything2

No cache...but I found it! Haha!

Needs Mantenance 02/28/2012 by almostgotitright

I laughed out loud at this one. Definitely found the spot, but the cache is gone and the pen is still dangling. Following the rule of 'must sign the log', I'm not counting it as a find, but definitely counting is as a smilie :)

Thanks for some fun on the old highway.

And will someone please go repair the cache? It's too good to be gone. Thanks, ss

:D 02/25/2012 by Illloganything

Found where it used to be and the pen but I think the cache blow away

I'm a believer in "It's not a find if it's not signed". But last weekend I made an exception. There's a run of 60 identical caches SW of Oklahoma City on stretches of country road. They're short pieces of camo painted PVC pipe, one end stuck in the ground and a film cannister resting in the up end. Most were fine. 3 we found the the cannister near the pipe and put it back in the pipe. One we found an empty pipe and looked all around but never found the canister. Since we found the pipe we logged this as a find. Didn't like doing that but we did find the pipe. CO saw our logging of his run and let us know that he knows the one has been missing for a couple of weeks and he needs to get out to replace it.

HonestCacher1 :( Didn't find it 12/13/2011

Looked and looked, but did not find. Will try again another day. Out caching with jolusberg!

ILikeWatches :) Found It 02/02/2012

Looked for a long time, no find.I left a cheap wrist watch on the bridge.someone should replace it :D

AnotherHonestCacher :( Didn't find it 02/05/2012

No luck finding this. Second attempt. Didnt see any wrist watch either. Lol ... Did find that there is a second way to get to this location besides going across the old bridge . Take mallard rd

I've heard of throwing down containers with logs but never just leaving a piece of swag

Edited by IkeHurley13

Since we're talking about questionable cachers...

Not Sure But Honest :( Needs Archived 5/19/2012

Did not find the cache. From everything we can tell about it, the device it was mounted to is not there anymore. Since the Cache Owner has moved to another state, this cache is not being maintained. Time for it to go away.

Just Not Sure :) Found it 5/20/2012

Not there :-(

I almost considered bumping this thread, but didn't do it. I dunno, all the angst it would cause here, after this 9 yr. old thread was moved here from the long gone "the hunt, the unusual" forum? An old school 2005 placed LPC, by a then 13 yr. old kid was missing. He's probably in college now, and is long gone. It was one of the first LPC's in my area. And there's a better chance of me being struck by lightning as I type this, then a 13 yr. old kid had permission to hide an LPC at a Wendy's. So after many DNF's, an SBA was logged. Three weeks after the SBA, (along with the cache being disabled by the reviewer the day after the SBA), this found log came in:

:) Find # 1925 .. Throwdowner#2 and I were in town for a letterboxing gathering so we grabbed a few caches too .. This was our final cache in the USA before heading back to Canada .. We didn't read the logs before going for this one and could't find the cache .. so then decided to read the logs and found out why .. It was missing .. We decided to do our good deed for the day and placed a logbook in a baggie under cover at GZ .. And will log the find .. TFTH

Geez, at least most throwdowners offer to delete the log if it's not wanted. Mad props to my reviewer, who later archived the cache because of no response from the owner, and didn't "accept" the throwdown as a legitimate cache. :P

EDIT: P.S. I didn't know Canadian keyboards typed 2 periods every time you go to type one. You learn something new every day.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Since we're talking about questionable cachers...

Just Not Sure :) Found it 5/20/2012

Not there :-(

That may have been an accident. I've logged a DNF with a "Found it" log before (and hopefully only once); I was about the 10th person to DNF a difficult cache (no FTF yet, lots of watchers) and chose "Found It" for the log type without thinking. Boy, did I get a lot of emails about that one... :yikes:

04/19/2012

Found It, well, at least we found the white velcro it was attached to .......................

E-mailed owner .......................................

Fun trail though ..............................................

As the CO, I KNOW that muggles aren't usually an issue on Sundays in this area, even in-season.

I'm debating deleting the log, simply because a log like this doesn't jibe with own personal caching ethics...

Also, what if someone logs a find of the same cache twice in one day, with identical logs? I assume that's a smartphone error, but should I delete the duplicate log?

I would delete both logs, but also send a follow up email right after you do it.

Explain to the first person (multi) that signing their name on the log is required and also maybe point out that there is more than one stage. Be nice and informative about it.

For the second I would just say, "I noticed you logged xxx twice, probably due to a glitch in your smartphone logging. I am deleting one of the logs. Thanks for finding my cache.

Here you can read more about log deletion: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

I've deleted "extra" smartphone logs on I think 3 occasions, and one of them logged 4 or 5 founds. I pretty much sent polite emails along the lines of what I'm quoting, although I deleted the logs first. None of these finders ever wrote back. Who knows, there's a good chance they never even look at the website on a computer, and don't see or care about their statistics.

I sent emails to both cachers in question. The duplicate logger acknowledged a possible smartphone error, and thanked me for informing her. The phantom finder has not responded to a polite request to change his log to a DNF. I tried to be as nice as possible, but it's hard to say "I'm deleting your log" without sounding like a jerk.

I've only seen duplicate logs on my caches a couple of times. There was one recently by someone that only had 5 or so finds. I wrote a PM, told them that a duplicate log was posted and suggested that they might want to delete it to avoid the 65 Finds on 64 distinct caches issue. I didn't check back to see if they in fact deleted the extra log as it really doesn't matter if they have one extra find to their credit.

we ended up finding a metal tool box/fishing box and we don't think we found it because that was not a plastic container [as described in the listing] and it was off coordinates a bit. then checking today - we see it needs maintenance from someone else posting it - so we don't think we found it.