Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:) Found it May 30 by [cacher] (xxx found)

Team [name]. I know where it was.... Not there anymore

This was on an easy 1/1 park & grab. The last 5-6 were DNFs (mine being one of them), then one maintenance note mentioning that someone came out while they were looking and told them the neighbor keeps stealing the container, convinced the cachers are "running numbers". Then there are 4 more DNFs before the note, then a few finds, and a bunch more DNFs. Then we're back to dates from last summer. I guess it's been replaced a few times and as mentioned the neighbor keeps stealing the containers. But how do you claim another find when you've already found it-- just to say it's not there anymore??

I also need to thank those in this thread. I am now changing one of my owners-told-me-to-log-as-found DNFs on a muggled cache until we go back and sign the replacement. :)

One we logged DNF on; one which i meant to post here for a while but forgot about, until today.

A cache in the netherlands which really wasn't there anymore, the finder even says it's gone, but still claims the smiley, as he's been on the spot...i guess most of our DNF's actually are finds, as we've been on the spots...

Mr. Terratin

Logs in dutch roughly translated (in Italics) by me:

icon_sad.gif March 13 by Honest1 (xxx found)

Returned twice. Apparently one doesn't always succeed immediately.

icon_sad.gif March 13 by Honest2 (xxx found)

Unfortunately not found

icon_sad.gif March 19 by Honest3 (xxx found)

Nope, no find. We searched reasonably extensive, but came up empty handed. One for another time i suppose...

icon_sad.gif March 20 by Honest1 (xxx found)

Searched again, but now with 5 persons. Pity. We'll watch this cache from now on.

icon_sad.gif March 20 by Honest4 (xxx found)

Third time unlucky!

icon_smile.gif March 20 by WayTooHonest (xxx found)

Today a tour through the east of the country where this one should have been the first, but i fear this cache is not there anymore. Looking at the pictures it's a magnetic micro and given there are just a few steel objects around and based on previous logs, i gather this one is gone. All in all i am convinced i was looking in the right place and therefore i logged this [as found]; if i'm in the neighbourhood again i will revisit the cache.

icon_disabled.gif March 22 by CO (xxx found)

he is ripped.

Soon we shall place another one

Edited by terratin

icon_remove.gifNeeds Archived July 6 by Ending the Nonesnse(591 found)

Cache is not there anymore

icon_sad.gifDidn't find it June 20 by Honest Abe (1806 found)

Everyone seems to be finding and logging the letterbox. Even with help from a previous finder, the actual cache wasn't here.

:) Found it June 20 by Phony Baloney (3028 found)

Found the Letterbox cache, but pretty sure the traditional is missing

I had a BLAST today heading up to Tarryall with Daschpeeg and OF-Erad.

They were helping me reach a milestone of grabbing GC18 as my 3000!! cache and they were both TONS of help!

We had buckets of fun, found a bunch of great caches, did some slightly nervous off-roading, and even found a few Benchmarks.

Thanks to everybody who placed caches in the area for us to find!

TFTC!!

:) Found it June 4 by Probably Clueless (63 found)

TFTC

:) Found it May 28 by Clueless Too? (4170 found)

Found a bit off coords. Out caching with the wife (Sometimes she waited in the car, others, she helped search). TFTC!

icon_sad.gifDidn't find it May 20 by HonesT (161 found)

Looked and looked, but could not find it. I inadvertently found one of the Dogolith Letterboxes in my search in the area. My GPS was jumping all over the place causing me to expand my search. What I perceived as the coordinate's ground zero was just N/NW of the really neat looking sandstone formation on top of the hill. I see that someone else got a slightly different reading so I'll attempt this one again. I really want to find this one as it's a beautiful area minus the various broken booze bottles laying around. Will try again when I can.

:) Found it May 19 by Unwitting LBer (51 found)

TFTC! took TB

Found it May 16 by Can't Tell the Diff (53 found)

Cache was about 18ft off of where my GPS put it. Here is where I found it.

N38 55.9237 W104 48.5620

I left a Travel Bug. Hopefully he'll head out of state with the next Geocacher. Please note that the container is not cylindrical, its a Tupperware box.

icon_sad.gifDidn't find it May 8 by Truth Teller (112 found)

Nice area for some pictures and scenery, but swung and missed the GC. I locked in the lat/long and found a spot where it might have been or at least where I would put a long cylindrical container...NOPE. But the scenery made it for not finding it.

icon_sad.gifDidn't find it April 16 by Honest John (549 found)

Tried to work some hoodoo voodoo, but had no joy. Found the letterbox, but not the cache.

icon_needsmaint.gifNeeds Maintenance March 1 by Veracity (168 found)

Please visit your site - might have been muggled, could not find.

icon_sad.gif May 25 by Honest (1159 found)

I found the magnet, but nothing was attached to it. Might need to check on this one.

icon_needsmaint.gif May 25 by Honest (1159 found)

The magnet is the only thing there, the container is no longer attached.

smile.gif May 26 by magnets count1 (2302 found)

Thanks.

smile.gif May 26 by magnets count2 (1195 found)

Found magnet

smile.gif May 26 by magnets count3 (2953 found)

On a mini-run. Weather was great and the storms didn't hit till about 5:30, so we had a full day of it. The cache hide was great and lotsa fun. Thanks.

icon_sad.gif May 30 by Honest2 (69 found)

it's gone :(

I saw that this group had logged a few caches that looked like they were missing. But also some that were there. It made knowing what was and was not there very hard.

Edited by IkeHurley13

Recently i came across this log (translated from german):

:D June 12 by Look_I_Have_Proof_I_Was_In_The_Country (xxxx found)

I was from date to date in 'Country'. The flight from 'Depart' had a 3 hour stop in 'Place' before continuing to 'Destination'.

When I noticed in my pocket query there's one cache in 'Place', I took my Oregon along. 'Destination' and surroundings where i needed to go are completely cache-less :(

The three hour stop in 'Place' should be enough to pick up the cache - or so i thought! Unfortunately customs prevented this.

As this was my only time i've been to 'Country', i beg the CO to accept a found log.

I've added two images to proof i really was at 'Place'-airport.

Thanks for the cache,

Look_I_Have_Proof_I_Was_In_The_Country

The mentioned pictures are a GPS showing his current location 16km from the cache and his access visa.

What i don't understand is why he didn't log the other 15 caches in this country, including 5 FTF's (one of which was placed early 2004). After all, he has proven he's been in the country....

Mr. Terratin

icon_smile.gifJuly 30 by Didn't Sign Log (2090 found)

Thanks for the caches. Found them all on a great day caching with the xxx. Could not sign log because we could not snake the cache out. the xxx tried the same method he used to repair the other cache, but was not successful. I suggest two wrenches.

View Log

icon_smile.gif July 30 by Didn't Sign Log Either (204 found)

Found all in this half-century series today, but diid not sign the log in this one. This one was inserted too far to extract without a tool of some sort. Might need a little maintenance.

icon_sad.gif July 26 by Nose What a DNF Is (10572 found)

Humm I guess this where different peoples ethics come in to play. Saw it touched it but couldn't sign it.. Oh well can't get them all. Kind of like cheating at solitaire.

Guess some people cheat at solitaire, and others know that that is still cheating.

:) July 31 by xxxx (22 found)

We found this one, but couldn't get to it....way too many muggles. Muggles everywhere. Maybe we'll go back in the off season and sign the log.

----

This is an offset multi, I'm not even sure they were at the final. As there are muggle warnings in the listing, I don't even know if they were at the site!

I guess I'm looking for a little guidance. As the CO, I KNOW that muggles aren't usually an issue on Sundays in this area, even in-season.

I'm debating deleting the log, simply because a log like this doesn't jibe with own personal caching ethics...

Also, what if someone logs a find of the same cache twice in one day, with identical logs? I assume that's a smartphone error, but should I delete the duplicate log?

As the CO, I KNOW that muggles aren't usually an issue on Sundays in this area, even in-season.

I'm debating deleting the log, simply because a log like this doesn't jibe with own personal caching ethics...

Also, what if someone logs a find of the same cache twice in one day, with identical logs? I assume that's a smartphone error, but should I delete the duplicate log?

I would delete both logs, but also send a follow up email right after you do it.

Explain to the first person (multi) that signing their name on the log is required and also maybe point out that there is more than one stage. Be nice and informative about it.

For the second I would just say, "I noticed you logged xxx twice, probably due to a glitch in your smartphone logging. I am deleting one of the logs. Thanks for finding my cache.

Here you can read more about log deletion: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

Can't find it? No problem. Log a rock.

:sad: July 26 by Honest DNFer 1 (1000 found)

Out with Honest DNFer 2 for a day of caching in the area. A nice walk to the cache. I found the piece of rock but no cache in its spot. Honest DNFer 2 confirmed that it wasn't there.

:) June 21 by Rock Logger (9 found)

Found rock laying in grass adjacent to tree and no cache.... it was probably nargles

(note) June 13 by Cache Owner (29 found)

I will be replacing this within a couple days

:sad: May 24 by Honest DNFer3 (8 found)

looked for about a half hour with no luck on this one found a couple trees with old fence going through them and a few rocks that was it..it was dark out so will be going back to look again soon

(needs maintenance) April 23 by Honest DNFer 4 (27 found)

Found tree and rock bit no sheet to sign

:sad: April 22 by Honest DNFer 5 (416 found)

Forgot to log this one. Found several today,but didn't find this one.

As the CO, I KNOW that muggles aren't usually an issue on Sundays in this area, even in-season.

I would delete both logs, but also send a follow up email right after you do it.

Explain to the first person (multi) that signing their name on the log is required and also maybe point out that there is more than one stage. Be nice and informative about it.

For the second I would just say, "I noticed you logged xxx twice, probably due to a glitch in your smartphone logging. I am deleting one of the logs. Thanks for finding my cache.

Here you can read more about log deletion: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

I've deleted "extra" smartphone logs on I think 3 occasions, and one of them logged 4 or 5 founds. I pretty much sent polite emails along the lines of what I'm quoting, although I deleted the logs first. None of these finders ever wrote back. Who knows, there's a good chance they never even look at the website on a computer, and don't see or care about their statistics.

I've deleted "extra" smartphone logs on I think 3 occasions, and one of them logged 4 or 5 founds. I pretty much sent polite emails along the lines of what I'm quoting, although I deleted the logs first. None of these finders ever wrote back. Who knows, there's a good chance they never even look at the website on a computer, and don't see or care about their statistics.

I sent emails to both cachers in question. The duplicate logger acknowledged a possible smartphone error, and thanked me for informing her. The phantom finder has not responded to a polite request to change his log to a DNF. I tried to be as nice as possible, but it's hard to say "I'm deleting your log" without sounding like a jerk.

Cache page says:

The last visitor reported it as missing, so can the next visitor please take a spare canister with him? Easy cache on (Name of Street)

icon_smile.gif by Didn't Really Find It Found it November 1, 2010

Went to this cache twice during my stay in (here). I did not find the cache itself but sent a picture over to the owner and he let me log it. In my opinion, this one disappeared!

Great walk on the (named street) though! TFTC.

icon_smile.gif by Don't Stick My Hands in There Found it October 26, 2010 I was here to work in (place) and make a visit in (City) for this Cache.

I dont grap insinde the Lamp, i was there in the night and the Light was on.

So I also didn´t sign in but send a photo of the place with my GPS and the Koordinates to the owner

a he give me the Log permission.

THX to the Owner for the nice contact and quick response.

Hmm... A vacation cache several hundred miles from home. Hey! Who needs a container?

icon_smile.gif Used to be Here?

06/22/2011

We think we found where it's suppose to be. Fun climbing tree!

icon_smile.gif Maybe

06/11/2011

found it exactly where it is but couldnt log it

icon_smile.gif Disappearing

02/09/2011

I found the spot where it was hidden, but it is missing. Just the wire are left there :(

icon_smile.gif Partially

01/07/2011

Found the top of the cache bottle but not the cach

icon_smile.gif Really

11/20/2010

Found bike caching . Took a couple of minutes but we found it.Cache is in good shape and the log is dry. TFTC SL

This one was a fun cache involving a string runnning up in a magnolia tree with a large hole in it. Release the string, and a small rabbit with cache inside comes down from a branch. Looks like the tree was cut down in March. Throw Down in April. Obviously nothing like the original cache. Love the "The clue about the hole in the tree is misleading."

Oh, well.

Didn't find it 09/11/2011

Don't think the tree is still there bro...

Didn't find it 09/08/2011

Is this one still there? I have looked multiple times and can not find this cache.

I have looked a couple of times and can not fond this one. Is it still there?

Found it 08/14/2011

TFTC!!

Found it 08/09/2011

A quick find before entering the (nearby) grounds. TFTH

Found it 08/06/2011

Found with my dad on an afternoon hunting downtown. Love the big trees and bridge over the pond. Visited the campus ... for the first time after finding these ... Park caches. Thanks for bringing us here!

Didn't find it 07/15/2011

2nd trip to this cache. I'm just not seeing it. At first I thought it was the tree that has been removed, but others have found it since... Grrrrrr.

Didn't find it 06/08/2011

A good attempt on our part...tried every magnolia tree with no luck.

Found it 05/14/2011

The clue about the hole in the tree is misleading. Use the coordinates and your geo-senses. If you hand around long enough you should be able to find the cache. Thanks for the fun in the park.

Found it 05/08/2011

A great park for a walk this morning. We were skeptical based on recent logs but it was right at GZ. Nice hide. SL. TFTC

Didn't find it 04/19/2011

I think they cut down your tree!!!

Found it 04/09/2011

This cache was found while on a cache run in the ... area with (Throw Downers).

Thanks for the hunt!

Found it 04/09/2011

Based upon the condition of the immediate surroundings and

information in some previous logs, we were fairly certain that

the original cache container was missing, so we replaced it

in a location close to the posted coordinates. TFTH - SL

Didn't find it 04/09/2011

Yep. Was caching with cache owner's son and said that was the tree! :( explained how the cache worked to me and it sounded amazing. Wish I could have found it!

Found it 04/08/2011

Down from .. for short run of greater (city). Lots of landscaping and tree trim/removal done here . . . we replaced container. baggie & log to help CO & subject to disapproval, eight feet from GZ! THANKS for the neat caches!

(Throw Downer)

Didn't find it 03/29/2011

I think your cache was cut down recently :-(

Did not find the cache. GZ had a great big tree that looks like it was just cut down. Might be gone. Owner should check it out.

If at first you don't succeed (or even if you thought you did)...

:) Found it 08/20/2011

This cahe is hidden by the tan brige in the picture

...log, log again!

:) Found it 08/21/2011

We found a decoy yesterday. After thinking about it last night we regrouped this morning amd found the real one. Its not near the tan bridge with railing.

Ok, I/we never log a find that we didn't actaully fondle, but we don't neccessarily log every DNF becuase sometimes you're in a hurry & have to come back or get muggled & come back later. He doesn't even want to bother looking for caches that have several DNFs & I think that's half the challenge, finding something that several others couldn't. I do wonder how many DNFs have to be logged over what length of time before the owner goes & checks it & I especially hate those folks that log a find, but with the caveat of "it's missing so we replaced it for you, hope you don't mind". How do you know it's missing? Maybe you just didn't find it... I have however found at least 1 nano that I have a pic of it in my hand, logged a smiley, but could not get the log out of it to sign. A pic of it in it's home & in my hand should suffice. If not, read your logs & go replace the log. But I would never do it if I didn't find it & touch it.

Today, was my first geocach hunt today. I used a free version app, and found 3 close to me. The first one, was in my neighborhood park. It was hidden, pretty well. BUT, I found it. The next two I was unsuccessful. One, I fear was moved due to the tree being cut or burned down. The other, well, It got dark. :(

This is an urban cache that requires climbing part way up a tree:

:) Found it (well, saw it anyway) 09/09/2011

Ok, I found the cache. Actually putting my hands on it, another story. I brought a special lady here on a date and we found this one. I could see myself falling for this Gal, but Im not gonna fall out of this tree for her ! I was in dress shoes and the tree was wet from recent rain. Made it up a couple branches but was slipping all over the place so I came to my senses and climbed down.

Thanks for the adventure !

What adventure?

This one was a fun cache involving a string runnning up in a magnolia tree with a large hole in it. Release the string, and a small rabbit with cache inside comes down from a branch. Looks like the tree was cut down in March. Throw Down in April. Obviously nothing like the original cache. Love the "The clue about the hole in the tree is misleading."

Oh, well.

Didn't find it 09/11/2011

Don't think the tree is still there bro...

Is this one still there? I have looked multiple times and can not find this cache.

I have looked a couple of times and can not fond this one. Is it still there?

Found it 08/14/2011

TFTC!!

Found it 08/09/2011

A quick find before entering the (nearby) grounds. TFTH

Found it 08/06/2011

Found with my dad on an afternoon hunting downtown. Love the big trees and bridge over the pond. Visited the campus ... for the first time after finding these ... Park caches. Thanks for bringing us here!

Didn't find it 07/15/2011

2nd trip to this cache. I'm just not seeing it. At first I thought it was the tree that has been removed, but others have found it since... Grrrrrr.

Didn't find it 06/08/2011

A good attempt on our part...tried every magnolia tree with no luck.

Found it 05/14/2011

The clue about the hole in the tree is misleading. Use the coordinates and your geo-senses. If you hand around long enough you should be able to find the cache. Thanks for the fun in the park.

Found it 05/08/2011

A great park for a walk this morning. We were skeptical based on recent logs but it was right at GZ. Nice hide. SL. TFTC

Didn't find it 04/19/2011

I think they cut down your tree!!!

Found it 04/09/2011

This cache was found while on a cache run in the ... area with (Throw Downers).

Thanks for the hunt!

Found it 04/09/2011

Based upon the condition of the immediate surroundings and

information in some previous logs, we were fairly certain that

the original cache container was missing, so we replaced it

in a location close to the posted coordinates. TFTH - SL

Didn't find it 04/09/2011

Yep. Was caching with cache owner's son and said that was the tree! :( explained how the cache worked to me and it sounded amazing. Wish I could have found it!

Found it 04/08/2011

Down from .. for short run of greater (city). Lots of landscaping and tree trim/removal done here . . . we replaced container. baggie & log to help CO & subject to disapproval, eight feet from GZ! THANKS for the neat caches!

(Throw Downer)

I think your cache was cut down recently :-(

Did not find the cache. GZ had a great big tree that looks like it was just cut down. Might be gone. Owner should check it out.

My question is: Why would it take this long for the cache owner to either temporarily archive it, archive it, or go replace it? As a cacher that would make me mad that it was not being maintained especially after their son confirmed the fact that the tree had been cut down?

My question is: Why would it take this long for the cache owner to either temporarily archive it, archive it, or go replace it? As a cacher that would make me mad that it was not being maintained especially after their son confirmed the fact that the tree had been cut down?

I'd guess that the CO is no longer involved with Geocaching. Of the four in that park, two are archived. My problem is with the cacher who did not find(DNF) a cache in a tree that was cut down, and threw a throw down nearby that had nothing to do with the original, rather interesting, cache. Instead of DNF, a find at any cost?

Another example:

icon_smile.gifFound it 09/24/2011

Found and signed. I hope it is the real cache. Thanks

This marked the turnaround point for me on my HNS bike trip along the xxx river front. A lot of muggles in the area to load up on calories. Waited for a break in the action. The pocket query I had downloaded Thursday night (9/22) indicated that this one was missing, so I had brought along a replacement container to use. Not sure if the owner had replaced it on Friday after my query was generated, but I did put out a new container on Saturday in the area where ground zero indicated for me that was consistent with the hint. My apologies if there are now two containers at ground zero.

Found on my way to (event). First to sign the new log sheet.

we got a helpful hint from the nice lady at the food shop next door. we were having problems with this one, I blame it on my broken ribs heh. sl and rehid as found tftc

Nice cache good ice cream.

icon_enabled.gifEnable Listing 09/23/2011

We are back in business, just in time for the (Event).

Second from the top knew it was missing, (didn't know it was replaced), didn't bother searching (it was an easy find), and just thew down a replaceent. Didn't bother looking. Didn't find it. Threw down a throw down for the numbers.

icon_disabled.gif Temporarily Disable Listing 10/07/2011

Well looks like this one was muggled before it was even found? I'll have to replace it and try again...

icon_smile.gif Found it 10/07/2011

found where it should have been = out with the gang ...

icon_needsmaint.gif Needs Maintenance 10/07/2011

Came back to Check again after 6:30 PM with the GANG , an its still missing

Missing....

OK ,Im going to log this as FOUND as was here twice today , Early an again at 2 pm..Early I didnt find it ,Came back with xxx an I then spotted the Plumbing Wrap where the Film can should have been .. Guess we are first to LOG it, an First to report it missing in action already before it was up 24 hours even

Co~FTF...2:30 pm..with xxx found holder, no cache...muggled aready!!!....see pic...

icon_greenlight.gif Publish Listing 10/06/2011

Ah! If you look for it twice, it counts as a find?

"We search and search and search. Over 10 Minutes.. without no success :( perhaps we can log with the picture? thx for the trip to the galata bridge"

Log from a member with 440 finds on one of my caches that was placed in December 2010, with 354 finds (not counting theirs) no muggles, one find the day before theirs and five the day after. I let the log stay, but I wrote them a note to encourage them to count it as a DNF since they didn't actually find the box. I wonder how many of the 440 they actually found. We'll see what they do.

But yeah, people in Istanbul ALL THE TIME log muggled caches as found, saying they found the spot. Drives me nuts.

Edited by bulcacher

"We search and search and search. Over 10 Minutes.. without no success :( perhaps we can log with the picture? thx for the trip to the galata bridge"

If we look at the picture, can we log a find too?

:) Hey, yeah, everybody log it, then it can become one of the most popular caches in the world!

This is a small cache in a small park with a long history of being muggled:

:lol:Found it by LastFinders 03/30/2011

Team XXXXX First find in XX. Tftc

:(Didn't find it by VeteranCachers 04/10/2011

Stopped early in the day and a group of folks were all around listening to a Herring lecture. Looked a bit but too many muggles. Came back later, when everyone (almost) was gone and made a more thorough search. Still could not find the cache. Maybe it has been muggled again by the locals.

Write note by PreviousFinder 05/15/2011

Checked in on this one, it has been muggled

Write note MasterOfTheObvious 07/25/2011

Muggled?

:(Didn't find it by HonestCacher 07/27/2011

DNF'd it think it needs a maint run.

Needs Maintenance by HonestCacher 07/27/2011

See previous logs

:(Didn't find it by HonestNewbie 08/18/2011

Muggled :(

This entry was edited by HonestNewbie on Friday, 19 August 2011 at 01:24:39 UTC.

:lol:Found it by DamnImGood 08/18/2011

Muggled :(

Found it muggled? You are good!

Here's another one recently pointed out in another thread.

:) Well, I found the Letter Box. I looked up the Letter Box on it's website and couldn't find it, nor could I locate the owners to give them an update. Figured I'd log here incase the owner or anyone else is looking for it. The Letter Box was in the open, so I hid it behind a hollow stump at (40 xx.xxx, 74 xx.xxx) [edited to protect the guilty] <_<

Edited by edscott

A found log to a cache on my watchlist that's been missing since June, 2011, with 5 logged DNF's (Which means there's probably been about 25 people looking for it since then) came in today:

looked in the places that i thought, nothing,,had a container in my jeep and replaced it where i thought it might be..if CO does not want it. tell me and i will go and get it..

thanks for the hide and the hunt..

Now do I actually go there and find the throwdown? Personal dilemmas. :o

A found log to a cache on my watchlist that's been missing since June, 2011, with 5 logged DNF's (Which means there's probably been about 25 people looking for it since then) came in today:

looked in the places that i thought, nothing,,had a container in my jeep and replaced it where i thought it might be..if CO does not want it. tell me and i will go and get it..

Nope. One like that went on my Ignore List. ThrowDowner didn't find it either. Whatever is there is not the cache.

Nope. One like that went on my Ignore List. ThrowDowner didn't find it either. Whatever is there is not the cache.

Seems like a hardcore stance, but I agree with it! :)

Here is an interesting "found it" log I got on off my caches.

:) Found it ScaredOfBirds

10/24/2011

(#108)

I found the cache, but could not sign the log as i was too scared of the doves. they are enormous beasts with very dangerous looking beaks. clapping my hands to make them fly away did not work. but flapping their wings to make me go did work...............

TFTC XXXXXXX germany

There are occasionally times when I stupidly forget to bring a pen with me to a nano and am unable to sign the log. In these situations, I ALWAYS at the very least locate the cache, open it, take a look before I log it as found. When this is the case, I always try to write a very descriptive log that proves I actually found it and am not just trying to increase my numbers.

The idea of logging an unfound cache is ubsurd. There's two separate ratings for each cache for a reason! There can be a 5/1 cache, just as there can be a 1/5 cache.. logging *either* of those is pathetic because they're *meant* to be difficult to find or get to - that's why they were put where they were. Laziness is not an excuse! Visiting a park is NOT the same as visiting a cache.

This sort of relates - I want to hide a cache, my first, but I want to see more caches in my area. I was intensely considering making it mandatory that one hides a new cache in order to log mine. So it would probably be a 5 for difficulty because of the effort required, but only a 1 or 2 for terrain. Any ideas/comments?

I completely agree! Didn't find it & sign it? Don't say you did. Pretty straight-forward concept, ha ha.

It is actually posted in the guidelines that you can't require somebody to place a cache to find yours. They must be available to everybody and not just cache owners.

I don't know if you could find a loop-hole with your reviewer or not. But, if you could, I think it would be a pretty cool idea to get everybody more involved locally.

You could also consider making a "challenge" to place a new cache in your area. Just a thought. Not quite the same though.

Edited by Rychu

Yeah, I don't know, man. I would probably keep it on the watchlist and see if the owner replies to the new box. It may also depend on where you live. I'm in the states currently, so in that situation, I would probably just find other caches until the owner commented, but I live in Istanbul, where I've found all but about 4 or 5 caches in the city (not counting ones that aren't there, but aren't archived), and in that situation, I would probably go out and get the box because I wouldn't have much other opportunity for caching.

I just got an archival notice via email from what I believe was the first LPC in my area (a self-service car wash, placed in very early 2005). I've had the cache on my ignore list for probably like 6 years, so I never saw the logs, but it looks like recently there were about 6 "scared of bees" finds, 2 "found the spot but there's no cache" finds, and of course, finally, the out-of-towner with the throw down. Funny stuff. :laughing:

:) Scared of bees #1 (194 Found) 7/20/11 Found it but there were wasps were it was placed so could not sign the log.

:) Scared of bees #2 (83 Found) 7/24/11 Bees

:) Scared of bees #3 (121 Found) 7/24/11 log book heavily guarded... unless u like hornets

:) Scared of bees #4 (107 Found) 7/28/11 thought I could brave them but chickened out.. way too many wasps to sign the log!

:) Scared of bees #5 (117 Found) 8/31/11 Bees still there couldn't sign log book. They weren't very happy.

:) Scared of bees #6 (11710 Found) 9/4/11 The bees, nornets, or wasps are still there. They seem to be ready for an attack so we did not try to sign the log. TFTC

:( This guy gets it (560 Found) 9/8/11 Everyone claims to have found it but were afraid to grab it. I couldn't even find it. I checked the usual spot but came up empty. I checked around some more and got nowhere. Are people just assuming where it is and refusing to even verify it or are they really finding it?

[Needs Maintenance] Someone else who gets it (359 Found) 10/6/11 It looks like some one came and cleared out the bees (a partial nest is still left but no bees) and took the cache with it. (Assuming I was looking in the right place.)

:) Found where it's supposed to be #1 (184 Found) 10/13/11 Let's see---we went after hours. There would be NO WAY to do this during business hours without muggles. We think we found the spot because we did find the hornets nest and we did zero out the gps to within one foot. However, there was nothing there. I am guessing people just get close and take credit---if I am wrong, please let me know and I'll delete. My best guess is --- needs maintenance. TFTC. Found with Found where it's supposed to be #2.

:) Found where it's supposed to be #2 (153 Found) 10/13/11 Hmmm...not sure about this one. But after reading everyones comments I guess its a find. Found with Found where it's supposed to be #1. TFTC

[NOTE] This guy gets it (560 Found) 10/14/11<====This was the previous DNF'er=== This is getting crazy if people are logging non existent caches. The owner hasn't even confirmed it's actually missing.

:) Out of towner throw-downer (4538 Found) 10/23/11 decided to grab a few caches in the area..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~git-r-done!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

no container, so i had one and replaced it if CO says differently.

i will remove it..

Yeah, I don't know, man. I would probably keep it on the watchlist and see if the owner replies to the new box. It may also depend on where you live. I'm in the states currently, so in that situation, I would probably just find other caches until the owner commented, but I live in Istanbul, where I've found all but about 4 or 5 caches in the city (not counting ones that aren't there, but aren't archived), and in that situation, I would probably go out and get the box because I wouldn't have much other opportunity for caching.

Sounds like you have some throwdown opportunities in Istanbul. :P Yeah, it's still on the watchlist, but I doubt there will be an owner reply. A Teenaged or College-aged Girl who placed way too many caches in my opinion (about 15 hides by 50 finds), and pretty much disappeared well under 100 finds.

The St Louis/St Charles throwdown crew continue to throwdown more and their numbers keep climbing.

:D (St Charles Throwdown) 10688

Found it

10/22/2011

Geocaching with (St Louis Throwdown), signing logs as “SL/SC/”, on another wonderful early Fall day, on a trip heading towards Pana. The difficulty rating and the recent DNF logs convinced us this one might have fallen into the creek. We replaced it a foot or two further north to perhaps avoid that problem for future finders. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (STC Throwdown), St. Charles, MO.

:D (St Louis Throwdown 11848

Found it

10/22/2011

Caching with (St Charles Throwdown) in Central Illinois working our way in the direction of Pana. All the no-finds indicated this one was missing so we left a replacement where Google Earth says it should be. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. –SLMO Throwdown, St. Louis MO

The St Louis Throwdown Twins were in the Christian Co area again on 11/12/2011 throwing down caches and claiming finds. Their typical MO when they can't find a cache:

St Louis Phony Finder 11888

:D Found it 11/12/2011 Driving around the Pana area with (St Charles Phony Finder) and picking up caches. Based on a priori knowledge we knew the cache was missing and left a replacement. Signed log as (SLPF/SCPF). Good job. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache. – SLPF St. Louis MO

This is probably the biggest pet peeve of mine. I'm currently backpacking around the world and geocaching as I go. This sort of thing is especially rampant in counties with very few hides(Morocco and Vietnam come to mind right now). For me, I tend to immediately ignore caches from my PQ(when I download it into my ipod and gps) when there are more than three or four consecutive DNFs. I will quickly glance at those logs to determine whether it was just bad timing(Too many muggles) or other reasons(tree has been blown up to make way for parking garage). When there's lots of fake finds, I can waste valuable time searching for something that is obviously not there.

There have been one or two where, even though the rating is 1/1 or slightly above, it's impossible for me to get because I'm only 5'4 and the cache is 7 feet above the ground(in particular, one in downtown Oporto, Portugal on the back of a street sign). In that one I could see it, take pictures of it, but physically impossible to reach. I was half wanting to request a find but luckily, after drinking with people from the hostel, one was tall enough to scale the sign to grab it for me in the middle of the night. I'm not sure if I would've claimed it as a find otherwise thinking back.

In my thinking, to claim a DNF as a Find would require certain specifications. The cache still needs to be there(no muggled caches!). Circumstances for not retrieving it should not be temporary(ie// if there's too many muggles at the time, go back later),only permanant(ie// Can only get it if I grow an extra foot or two. Though even this one can be overcome if you have opportunities to hang out with taller people). As well, the cache listing, going back to the previous specification, should mention if special equipment will be required. If it doesn't, then it's reasonable for someone to go to the trouble to find it only to be stumped with not having climbing equipment for that last thirty meters. Though if the terrain level is high, you should be expecting something like this.

I actually find that these certain Fake Finds are more rampant with travelers as they feel that since they're "only here once" that giving a little effort should be enough. I might be a little more generous to visitors to the area than I would to locals. Actually, I would have no sympathy for locals at all. And visitors would still need to have the above specifications to have me consider it.

My annoyance with all this came to a head in Vietnam. All but two of the 12 or so physical caches in Hanoi are missing. The CO is just too lazy to replace them and lets people post a photo as a Find. That irks me. Very tempted to request that all those be archived out of spite. And then there's a physical cache in Ha Long Bay. 5/5 rating.Halong Floater. Of any log that should be an automatic deletion, it is those on high difficulty/terrain caches where the person "sees the spot." I at least tried to find it. Without the special equipment of shoes(trust me, having your feet sliced open on rocks and shells is not fun with salt water everywhere).

My two cents.

Only find 2 stages of a 4 stage multi. Can't find the 3rd stage. What to do? Claim it anyway as a find.

If you're going to come back later to find the final 2 then claim the find - after you find the final.

(1/2 Done Cacher) found (Cache Name)

Saturday, 26 November 2011Illinois

I found stage 1 and 2. If 3 was there I missed it. My projection for stage 4 also came up empty. It seemed like the logical end but nothing was there.

I'm not sure the proper etiquette for a multi where I signed 2 stages, so I will log this as found. I will be back in the area in the future to reattempt the final 2.