Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Speaking of the high logging group in Missouri, anyone talked to them about it?

They're only after the numbers. They don't care.

Same with another high number guy from Peoria, IL area.

It's all about getting the high number. If someone doesn't check their actual stats and just sees their numbers then no one knows they're padding the find count.

I know exactly who you are talking about. Recently, one of them got honored for hitting 10,000 finds by the local caching group and was given a personalized chair...

Since when they're around these parts at least, at a minimum, 10% of their "finds" are throw down replacements then he's got at least 1000 more to go before he's close to 10,000. Guess they'll be scarfing up all the film cans they can find to throw down so they can get their 20,000 "find".

Personalized chair? What a joke.

icon_smile.gifSeptember 3 by good-call (6393 found)

This cache is indeed gone.Found bits and pieces of what appears to be the log sheet

possibly chewed up by lawnmower.Could not find the actual container but reckon it

may have been destroyed as well.I had a 35ml container with new log sheet which

I decided I would give to you since this cache has been needing maintenance

since 2009.It is a black 35ml placed at the same co-ords(puzzle final) and is about

eye level on branch.The cache is now good to go.

Speaking of the high logging group in Missouri, anyone talked to them about it?

They're only after the numbers. They don't care.

Same with another high number guy from Peoria, IL area.

It's all about getting the high number. If someone doesn't check their actual stats and just sees their numbers then no one knows they're padding the find count.

I know exactly who you are talking about. Recently, one of them got honored for hitting 10,000 finds by the local caching group and was given a personalized chair...

They were in the central IL area again on Saturday doing their usual throwdowns and then claiming finds. They had their typical day - Claimed 55 finds and 3 throwdowns.

:laughing: December 4 by (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) (9304 found)

Geocaching with (St Louis MO PhonyFinder) and (PhonyFinder sidekick), signing logs as “PhonyFinders 1/2/3”, on our first trip to Illinois in several months, on a sub-freezing late Fall day with occasional snow-crystal flurries and gusty winds – perfect geocaching weather! We looked for a short time before we had to agree with the previous cachers that this one was gone... so we dropped a replacement cache where the GPS and aerial photo agreed that it should go. TNLNSL. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (St. Charles, MO PhonyFinder).

:sad: December 4 by (St Louis Mo PhonyFinder )(10421 found)

Caching with (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) on a blustery day in central Illinois. I correctly guessed the meaning of the cache name. After reading the logs we left a replacement precisely where Google Earth said it was. Good Job. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache. – (St Louis PhonyFinder) and (PhonyFinder Sidekick), St. Louis MO

This cache is well hidden, tricky, and takes a bit of figuring and looking. Not any more tho:

B) December 4 by (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) (9304 found)

Geocaching with (St Louis MO PhonyFinder) and (PhonyFinder SideKick), signing logs as “(PhonyFinders 1/2/3)”, on our first trip to Illinois in sevearl months, on a sub-freezing late Fall day with occasional snow-crystal flurries and gusty winds – perfect geocaching weather! We concluded that this one had flown, walked or slithered away (I don't know what a Thanator is, obviously), so we replaced it. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (St. Charles, MO PhonyFinder)

:o December 4 by (St Louis MO PhonyFinder) (10421 found)

Caching with (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) on a blustery day in central Illinois. There was only one possible hiding spot but no cache so we left a replacement. Good Job. Thanks, (cache owners) for placing this cache. – (St. Louis MO PhonyFinder) and (PhonyFinder SideKick)

And their 3rd throwdown for the day:

:P December 4 by (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) (9304 found)

Geocaching with (St Louis MO PhonyFinder and PhonyFinder Sidekick), signing logs as “(PhonyFinders 1/2/3)" on our first trip to Illinois in sevearl months, on a sub-freezing late Fall day with occasional snow-crystal flurries and gusty winds – perfect geocaching weather! The Colonel had defected, so we replaced him. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (St. Charles, MO PhonyFinder)

:) December 4 by (St Louis MO PhonyFinder) (10421 found)

Caching with (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) on a blustery day in central Illinois. There was only one place to hide and this one was clearly missing so we left a replacement. Good Job. Thanks, (cache owners), for placing this cache. – (St. Louis MO PhonyFinder and PhonyFinder Sidekick)

Here's one cache where they were planning to place a throwdown which would have resulted in 2 cache containers in the same location - 1 original / 1 throwdown. Wonder how many of their throwdowns have resulted in 2 containers at the same location.

:D December 4 by (St Charles MO PhonyFinder) (9304 found)

Geocaching with (St Louis MO PhonyFinder and PhonyFinder Sidekick), signing logs as “(PhonyFinders 1/2/3)”, on our first trip to Illinois in sevearl months, on a sub-freezing late Fall day with occasional snow-crystal flurries and gusty winds – perfect geocaching weather! We looked for several minutes for what should have been an easy find, but found nothing, so we moved on to (another cache). That cache was so easy, we knew there was something wrong, so we came back to this one, resolved to replace it with a new 35mm film canister. As we were burrowing out a home for the new cache, we found the old cache under 3” of mud and dirt – from the re-grading of the ditch that seemed to have occurred recently. TNLNSL. Thanks, (cache owner), for placing this cache! -- (St. Charles, MO PhonyFinder)

(I guess I must be doing it wrong.)

[Found it] December 2 by No DNFs for me (12321 found)

We were some place up in the middle of nowhere and hunting more caches to find. Saw this one on the GPS and decided to give it a try. Then we saw the DNF. Uh oh. But we drove the 16 miles further to see if it might be there. The hiding place was obvious and the cords were dead on. After reading past logs we just knew where it should have been so we dug around in our cache box and found a replacement.

[Didn] November 21 by beejay&esskay (5300 found)

I thought I knew what to expect but I couldn't find it.

(I guess I must be doing it wrong.)

[Found it] December 2 by No DNFs for me (12321 found)

We were some place up in the middle of nowhere and hunting more caches to find. Saw this one on the GPS and decided to give it a try. Then we saw the DNF. Uh oh. But we drove the 16 miles further to see if it might be there. The hiding place was obvious and the cords were dead on. After reading past logs we just knew where it should have been so we dug around in our cache box and found a replacement.

[Didn] November 21 by beejay&esskay (5300 found)

I thought I knew what to expect but I couldn't find it.

How would they know the coordinates were dead on?

OH yeah of course they are "dead on" when you throw down your own.

The way people will justify their finds is a-Mazing!

icon_smile.gif November 10 by chaffeur (1777 found)

#1650 Caching trip to the (City) w/ Finder and Helper. I wasn't present for the final grab, but circled the block chauffeuring long enough to claim this as a find. TFTC

icon_smile.gif November 10 by Helper (2391 found)

#2230 Chaffeur drove Finder and I to (City) for a spectacular cachin' run thru the city! We first let Finder out to make the find, while we circled the block several times. For some reason, Finder was having no luck, so Chaffeur dropped me off to lend support. Perhaps that was the incentive Finder needed, as it was he who made the find. TFT$!

Just need to drive the car!

briansnat could you give me the link to the cache on the RR bridge? I'd really like to read about that one and see pictures if people have them..I love reading logs of the difficult/fun caches out there...you could PM it to me if you like

And I dont really understand the obsession with numbers, I personally dont care how much caches other people have found or how many I find, but Im not gonna log something I didn't find.

Sorry i dont have any funny log entries to contribute.

sorry i didnt realize this was 38 pages long lol, its on the first page of this topic LOl

Edited by TheLoneGrangers

This is one of our favorite log entries of all time. It's for a cache that may or may not have been replaced by the owners after the fact. What actually happened later is open to interpretation. What really happened earlier is that this cache was definitely missing.

icon_smile.gif January 2 by (some guy) (I imagine I've found 1219)

This one went missing for a bit but was to be put back up by the CO's. The maple got worked over pretty good. TFTC.

Who says there are no more virtuals? New ones are being created all the time.

This was sort of entertaining to read as a newbie (but addicted already).

I just became a member this week when a friend of mine told me about geocaching. I immediately logged into my computer to try and find all the ones in my home town. So far i have found 6 and not found 2 i think.

Even before reading the forums, in my mind, the find was opening the container and checking it out. That is the best part for me. If I have not been able to find it, I put a little note and said dnf but i will be back :)

I plan on trying the ones i could not find later in the week again.

Thanks for sharing all of this, it was definitely an entertaining read

Here's one...this is the first I have come across. I was looking at this cache to possibly go to tomorrow. Going to skip it though until hunting season is over. Don't want to make the hunters mad while we (me, my husband and 4 little kids) go tromping through the woods. I found this log while looks at the cache page.

May 3, 2008 by XXXXXXXXXXX(XXX found)

I'm going to claim a find since I found the first cache and got the location of the second. Since this is Louisiana and not Arkansas, I could not go get the second cache on my ATV. I was not allowed to ride down the public road on my ATV.

:):) December 22, 2010 by DblFinder (6xxx found)

Claiming bonus smiley for uploading photo at GZ. TFTC <_<

:) December 22, 2010 by DblFinder (6xxx found)

Enjoying the drive as we find the caches dedicated to our friends in the Hall of Fame series. Found by 'cacher' and DblFinder on a lovely winter day in the hill country. TFTC

Yeah why not "claim" a bonus smiley? Sure. Go ahead. Take two. Take three if you want. Nobody cares.

icon_smile.gifJanuary 7 by User (809 found)

We discovered the cache location, however an employee came out and confirmed the spot, but said the cache had been stolen. Counting this as a find.

icon_smile.gifJanuary 2 by User (89 found)

I can say only same as cachers wrote before, empty

icon_smile.gifDecember 18 by User (50 found)

THE cache is gone / an old men told us That the cache was stolen but we found the empty container so we logged it as found. Greetings from holland.

icon_smile.gifDecember 2 by User (77 found)

log book ale logojem

icon_smile.gifNovember 13 by User (2567 found)

We were by here today and yesterday and the place the cache would seem to be has been muggled. I'm logging this as a find, as we head back home early tomorrow morning and can't get back here

icon_smile.gifJanuary 7 by User (809 found)

We discovered the cache location, however an employee came out and confirmed the spot, but said the cache had been stolen. Counting this as a find.

icon_smile.gifJanuary 2 by User (89 found)

I can say only same as cachers wrote before, empty

icon_smile.gifDecember 18 by User (50 found)

THE cache is gone / an old men told us That the cache was stolen but we found the empty container so we logged it as found. Greetings from holland.

icon_smile.gifDecember 2 by User (77 found)

log book ale logojem

icon_smile.gifNovember 13 by User (2567 found)

We were by here today and yesterday and the place the cache would seem to be has been muggled. I'm logging this as a find, as we head back home early tomorrow morning and can't get back here

Sounds like Waymarking. It sure isn't geocaching.

briansnat could you give me the link to the cache on the RR bridge? I'd really like to read about that one and see pictures if people have them..I love reading logs of the difficult/fun caches out there...you could PM it to me if you like

And I dont really understand the obsession with numbers, I personally dont care how much caches other people have found or how many I find, but Im not gonna log something I didn't find.

Sorry i dont have any funny log entries to contribute.

sorry i didnt realize this was 38 pages long lol, its on the first page of this topic LOl

Well, that was a famous cache, so I had a pretty good idea of what it was, looked it up (it was archived in 2007), and sure enough, that was the one. It's wheretogo?Vertigo! In Central, N.J. I was actually there once, but chickened out. I mean like not even going on the bridge. Which was completely removed in 2007; very interesting pictures of that on the cache page. Nothing to do with this thread really, but it was asked, and I figured I'd share. ;)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

:):) December 22, 2010 by DblFinder (6xxx found)

Claiming bonus smiley for uploading photo at GZ. TFTC <_<

:) December 22, 2010 by DblFinder (6xxx found)

Enjoying the drive as we find the caches dedicated to our friends in the Hall of Fame series. Found by 'cacher' and DblFinder on a lovely winter day in the hill country. TFTC

Yeah why not "claim" a bonus smiley? Sure. Go ahead. Take two. Take three if you want. Nobody cares.

I assume the cache page "offers" a bonus smiley for uploading a picture? I stumbled on several such cache pages while planning a long weekend vacation to Ohio last summer. Didn't end up finding any of those caches, and wouldn't have taken up the offer even if I did, of course. Totally ridiculous, and screams "it's all about the numbers", but if there's an offer, a lot of people are going to take the cache owner up on it.

icon_smile.gif January 15 by A

I had this cache on my watchlist and since it came up logged twice this week I figured I'd give it a try. When I arrived where the others had parked I knew what had to be done. Made my way to GZ and back quickly and without incident. Logged the TB tag.

icon_smile.gif January 14 by B

#1072 - C's recent find on this one inspired me to give it a try. I chose the same route from XXXX Rd and made the find (of the TB) easily. I logged the TB as Discovered. This was on my list for so long and I'm very please to finally check it off. TFTTB

icon_needsmaint.gif January 9 by C

There is no "cache" left to this cache. No container. No Logbook.

Just a copy TB hanging in a tree. Should be replaced/repaired or disabled.

icon_smile.gif January 9 by C

Found it (if you want to call it that). What I found was a TB wired to a tree branch overhanging the river.

Not being a kayaker, I figured that the river might be frozen enough for me to walk to this one. I drove to the end of XXXXX Rd then walked the shoreline of the river to GZ.

icon_needsmaint.gif October 26, 2010 by D

Hi CO. I was considering giving this one a try but if I read the previous logs correctly the actual cache has been missing since September of 2009.

I think I's log from 9/4/09 implies that he didn't actually find the container since he wrote "I'm sending the owner the tag number for verification of the find." I stated a few days later that he only found the TB tag but not the cache itself. G gave it a try this year but returned a DNF.

This is so close to home and I'd like to give it a go but I hesitate to go waist deep in the big muddy unless we know it's there. Thanks!

icon_sad.gif August 3, 2010 by G

No one's logged a visit in 11 months. I'm afraid I didn't succeed.

The river was extremely low today - we haven't had any rain of consequence in weeks. I put in at the AAAA site (note: you can drive from the parking lot to within 50 feet of the put in site - just across the BBBBB Canal. It was a beautiful kayak paddle 1.4 miles up river, and there were only 3 places where I had to struggle with scraping bottom. I passed the Country Club cart bridge and returned downstream.

I came to the site and saw nothing. I disembarked (suffering the same knee high muck as earlier visitors) but to no avail. Such an evil place to leave a cache! Could the cache and tag have disappeard over the past 11 months?

Still, a lovely paddle and adventure - thanks

icon_smile.gif September 6, 2009 by H

It was a glorious day for an adventure, but perhaps a very expensive one. You cannot find the cache without getting out of the kayak to search. This is an immediate problem because the mud in the area is a mess of thick and slimey goo. I was up to my calves in mud and could barely move my feet. Then, the strap on my Map60Csx got caught on a branch and fell into the river bank. It was a desperate, long three minutes before the muddy mess cleared enough for me to retrieve it. It was still working! I immendiately shut if off, removed the batteries and kept everything open to dry. Finally, I was able to move one foot out of the mud, then another. It took three or four steps to get clear of it. At the dry portion of the bank, I saw where the cache was supposed to be attached because there was a TB tag wired in place. But, no cache. I struggled to get free of the mud again and finally got to clear water. What a mess. My GPS will hopefully recover, my shoes are still drying in the sun and my socks are probably a total loss. TFTC.

icon_smile.gif September 4, 2009 by I

Took a look at this one in google earth and since I don't own a kayak I did it by foot with a wade across the DDDDD River. The water was very low and at GZ even with a kayak you would have trouble with the mud. I'm sending the owner the tag number for verification of the find. I sunk in the mud up to my knees to be able to read the digits and then it took some force to get back into the solid ground of the river without leaving my shoes behind. Thanks for the adventure.

Umm... It's a travel bug tag, not a cache!

I certainly understand why a person would log a find when they did not physically have the cache in hand. It depends on WHY a person goes caching. They may not really care or not if they found it if the reason they went in the first place was to get to a new interesting location. There are tons of cachers out there who are not hunting for a film canister or a logbook, but for the experience of getting there, or seeing what is at the location. They may not enjoy the challenge of retrieving a cache that is visible, but out of reach. They already got what they wanted out of their cache experience, and they are satisfied. THEY FOUND what they were looking for that day.

That is great, but it is not a FIND :). You could post a NOTE though if you just really felt like it.

:D December 29, 2008 by BiAnnualCacher (150 found)

Took the Travel Bug... look forward to seeing it in sunnier climates soon!

:D December 31, 2010 by BiAnnualCacher (150 found)

Found it again this year. It's always a great find!

I gotta remember to revisit all my finds from two years ago and log them again.

There must be an ap for that.

I love this one. The non-finder actually went back two days later and dropped a replacement and logged the find!!! Classic!!

icon_smile.gif February 23 by "I REAAAALLY need this smiley" (455 found)

Replaced the cache with a small camo'd pill bottle. This location is perfect for a cache and it is a good place to stop and walk around a bit. Ok icon_smile_shy.gif

icon_sad.gif February 21 by "I REAAAALLLY need this smiley"(455 found)

Whoops....missed the disable and looked in vain. I needed the fresh air and needed to get out of my car awhile.

icon_disabled.gif February 14 by "cache is broken so I am disabling it"(1535 found)

I thought I had disabled this. Sorry for those who have been looking in vain. I'll get up soon to replace it.

Cache is obviously missing yet no one sees the need to post a needs archived or needs maintenance. They just keep logging a find the velcro. The only one who posted a needs maintenance only did so after claiming a find.

(needs maintenance) March 6 by (St Charles MO Velcro finder) (9645 found)

Container missing? Owner missing?

:D March 5 by (St Charles MO velcro finder) (9645 found)

Geocaching with (St Louis velcro finder and sidekick) (VFSC/VFSL/SK1 in the log) on a chilly sometime sprinkly day in Springfield IL. This one plots on the north side of Washington Street, but there was nothing hidden there. We too found the “droid” and the Velcro. If we'd had some Velcro with us, we'd have replaced the cache... but we don't stock EVERYTHING in our tool bag. Need maintenance or archiving. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache! -- Velcro Finder, St. Charles, MO.

:D March 5 by (St Louis Velcro finder) (10781 found)

Caching with (St Charles velcro finder) in the Springfield area on a cold, windy, sleety and otherwise perfect day for geocaching. Not to be outdone by previous finders we are logging the Velcro. We loved the Droid. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. (SL Velcro Finder and Sidekick), St. Louis MO

:D February 19 by (Velcro Finder 1) (170 found)

The coordinates were playing games with me on this, as I was always at the wrong corner. We also found the velcro but not the cache. The droid was neat to see, though.

:D February 19 by (Velcro Finder 2) (3089 found)

Out with the (Velcro Finder) crew this today on a great day of caching in the Springfield area after the pizza event. Found the velcro. TFTCSL

:D February 19 by (Velcro Finder 3)(2359 found)

Made the trip to Springfield for the pizza event with the (Velcro Finder) crew. Had a great time caching and five guys in a jeep was a bit tight. TFTC

:D February 12 by (Velcro Finder 4) (120 found)

Found the velcro but the cache was not attached. Touring the Lincoln sites with our Boy Scouts (Troop 109). Thanks for the diversion! TFTC! (velcro finder) Clan

icon_disabled.gif Temporarily Disable Listing January 27 by Cache Owner (134 found)

Removed cache - 1-11-2011. Forgot to update as disabled on that day. Still curious how someone was able to visit cache (two weeks later) after that date?? ...I'm holding the log in front of me, curious.

:) Found it January 27 by Mustbeamagician (1245 found)

Grabbed a quick one while running an errand...........the boy had no trouble thanks for the smiley!

Had a group come in and do a ton of geocaches in the area. All of they're finds say the same thing, except this find.

:) Found it February 26 by XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (11370 found)

If this cache was supposed to be beside the partially burned/blackened stump, we found where it should have been. Considering the DNFs posted, and our spending our time and gas to go for this cache, we are calling it a find. If the owner doesn't agree this is fair, just delete our log.

Makes me wonder how many of the 11,000+ they actually found. As to the "time and gas" it was on they're way to many other caches in the area, so this pit stop would not have cost them much.

Edited by Cyndaria

My "favorite" along these lines is a very well constructed cache, correctly labeled a 4.5 star difficulty. Instead of finding the cache, people have been signing a nearby outhouse - which was brought to the site after the cache was placed -- or leaving a rapid transit ticket. Interspersed with these logs are legitimate finds and warnings that the cache is not the outhouse or in the outhouse.

These are just a sample

:) Found it July 18, 2010 by XXXXX (625 found)

All locked up, couldn't deposit inside log, & had to sign outside log! ;-) tftc!

:) Found it August 21, 2010 by XXXXXX(7 found)

found (?) with xxxxxxx. scaled the portapotty while searching.

signed the wall

:) Found it August 21, 2010 by XXXXXX (24 found)

pretty sure me and xxxxxx found this a few months back

very suspicious muggles/firefighters. helped her scale portapotty

signed outside log. its a mystery

:) Found it August 28, 2010 by XXXXXX (264 found)

TFT very strange and...abstract C!

:) Found it October 11, 2010 by XXXXXXX (2 found)

replaced cache with Bart ticket

:) October 22, 2010 by xxxxxx (563 found)

Lots of TP to log on, but -- where do I place the log in this cache . Well as I was going to place MY log in the cache I noticed fresh evidence of a 'visitor'. Well let me cut to the chase, I signed the cache logo as done by other cachers. Ps how long has 'this cache' been here

And then there are the photos of people's signature appearing on the outhouse wall . . . .

Edited by mulvaney

Had a group come in and do a ton of geocaches in the area. All of they're finds say the same thing, except this find.

:) Found it February 26 by 2 GYPSIES WITH NO MOSS BETWEEN OUR TOES (11370 found)

If this cache was supposed to be beside the partially burned/blackened stump, we found where it should have been. Considering the DNFs posted, and our spending our time and gas to go for this cache, we are calling it a find. If the owner doesn't agree this is fair, just delete our log.

Makes me wonder how many of the 11,000+ they actually found. As to the "time and gas" it was on they're way to many other caches in the area, so this pit stop would not have cost them much.

We usually remove the names to protect the innocent guilty, but I'm glad you didn't I guess I need to go check some logs on my caches...

My "favorite" along these lines is a very well constructed cache, correctly labeled a 4.5 star difficulty. Instead of finding the cache, people have been signing a nearby outhouse - which was brought to the site after the cache was placed -- or leaving a rapid transit ticket. Interspersed with these logs are legitimate finds and warnings that the cache is not the outhouse or in the outhouse.

These are just a sample

:) Found it July 18, 2010 by XXXXX (625 found)

All locked up, couldn't deposit inside log, & had to sign outside log! ;-) tftc!

:) Found it August 21, 2010 by XXXXXX(7 found)

found (?) with xxxxxxx. scaled the portapotty while searching.

signed the wall

:) Found it August 21, 2010 by XXXXXX (24 found)

pretty sure me and xxxxxx found this a few months back

very suspicious muggles/firefighters. helped her scale portapotty

signed outside log. its a mystery

:) Found it August 28, 2010 by XXXXXX (264 found)

TFT very strange and...abstract C!

:) Found it October 11, 2010 by XXXXXXX (2 found)

replaced cache with Bart ticket

:) October 22, 2010 by xxxxxx (563 found)

Lots of TP to log on, but -- where do I place the log in this cache . Well as I was going to place MY log in the cache I noticed fresh evidence of a 'visitor'. Well let me cut to the chase, I signed the cache logo as done by other cachers. Ps how long has 'this cache' been here

And then there are the photos of people's signature appearing on the outhouse wall . . . .

This is unbelievable. Nevermind the bogus finds, they are vandalizing property. Where is the CO in all this? He is obviously not maintaining his logs. This is a cache that should be archived.

Edited by briansnat

We usually remove the names to protect the innocent guilty, but I'm glad you didn't I guess I need to go check some logs on my caches...

Whoops! I actually meant to, must have gotten distracted when making the post! I will have to go back and edit that post, however, part of me feels names should be out there for a heads up if those people hit your cache, so you can check the logbook and make sure they really found it.

I'd guess that they've probably actually found about twelve caches.

Presumptuous entitlement! They know that they have not found the cache, so they lie and claim that they have, and then put the onus on the CO to delete the find!

Liar. Liar. Pants on fire!

ok I am a noob to geocaching, but I wouldn't dream of logging a FIND unless I had the cache in my hand and signed the log (if possible).

Logging a find on a cache you didn't find is like running around telling people you won the lottery when you haven't.

icon_remove.gif March 18 by Username(1111 found)

OK, after claiming this one based on previously [NOT] finding it, I am sadly logging a "Needs Archived" note due to my suspicions that this cache is being watched regularly and no cache will last here for very long.

icon_smile.gif March 18 by Username (1111 found)

I came by to get this one, it was already muggled with nothing remaining. Disappointed, I figured I would wait to see if it got replaced. Checked on it again a few weeks later, and still no cache. I was excited yesterday when I saw that User_NotTheOwner had replaced the cache so I went out this afternoon to finally claim it, even took the wife along to "find" this cool cache. Rats, it was not there again! I called User_NotTheOwner to verify that it had been replaced in it's original "container". He confirmed it had been. The wife looked all around the area anyways, and to no avail. It has been muggled again. Someone must be keeping an eye on this one figuring it to be a magic hole that keeps producing containers, so much to my dismay, I am claiming the cache while suggesting to the CO that this one be archived.

[it's just sooooo disappointing when those throwdowns don't "take" and there you are claiming "find" on "container"]

So here's one that happened to me the other day. Nice day, 74 degrees, decided to go on a walk with my boyfriend along a local trail with a number of caches on it.

First cache along the trail - I hadn't found it yet but my boyfriend already had. I took off looking for it - no hints - and I had a good idea where it was. Get to the GZ, no cache. I see there has been recent fl ooding in the area (it's along a riverbank) and there's a lot of junk and debris laying about. Check recent logs to see it was "found" the same day by a very new cacher. New cachers log states "Really great camo" and nothing else. I ask my boyfriend if I was looking in the right place and he says "yep, that's where the cache should be." No cache. Nada. Zip. Scoured the place.

So naturally I contact the last finder and say "Hey I noticed you found this cache today - I'm here with a previous finder and the cache is not where he previously found it. Without giving the locale of the cache away, can you provide a hint where you found it?"

About 15 minutes later an email comes back from the finder - "next to a suspicious looking brick." Uhhh, ok. We complete the rest of the series along the trail and come back for the cache in question. I'm about ready to give up when I see a lock and lock perched atop a pile of flood debris about 35 feet away down the side of the river bank. There's no evidence anyone has picked the cache up - no footprints, nada. The ground is damp, so believe me, when you traverse down the bank, you're gonna leave a mark (and have a heck of a time getting back up it, I did!) There is a half of a brick sitting near the cache in the debris. I sign the log and notice the previous "finder" did NOT sign the log. We noticed he had also "found" the other caches along the trail that we had just logged and only signed half the logs. Hmm... We replaced the cache in its rightful home and contacted the CO notifying him of the cache floating down river. We saw him the other day and he has since flood-proofed the cache container.

Is it in poor form to send a note to this cacher and diplomatically explain that it's a find when you open the cache and sign the log (or if it's full provide photographic proof that you had the cache / log in hand to the CO)? Simply viewing the cache from 30 feet away does not make a legit find. Because if that's the case, then excuse me while I go visit a particular cache in Maryland atop a high pillar and make a FIND just because I "saw the cache."

I'll "try" to tread lightly on this one...

It would be nice if everybody followed the "rules" (geocaching as we know it here doesn't have rules, but guidelines), as everybody would be in the same boat and we knew where the boat was going and how it worked. BUT, everybody doesn't.

If you were the CO, you would have a say-so regarding the log/no-log situation.

You could try to diplomatically advise the "offending" cacher on the proper way to do things... but keep in mind that many would not necessarily take it as such and would be offended to the nth degree. Now, I don't know about you, but I have enough enemies and at this ripe old age, prefer more friends -- or less enemies.

Perhaps if you were already friends with that person, or at least acquainted with that person, sure, but a complete stranger? He(she) helped you with a hint -- now you want to chide them about logging?

Would I go so far to inform the CO? Probably not. Frankly it's not my problem.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But I ain't the boss.

Just my 2¢.

nittanycopa...

Since you already contacted the previous "finder" and expected to see his sig on the log, this would have been the perfect time to take a pic of it. Many cachers do it. I usually do if faced with the situation you described, with simply "The Log" underneath. Include another if there's anything special about the area.

This lets you off the hook.

Most COs enjoy pics on their pages (but no spoilers) and would (maybe) notice on his own that cacherX didn't sign it.

Edited by cerberus1

nittanycopa...

Since you already contacted the previous "finder" and expected to see his sig on the log, this would have been the perfect time to take a pic of it. Many cachers do it. I usually do if faced with the situation you described, with simply "The Log" underneath. Include another if there's anything special about the area.

This lets you off the hook.

Most COs enjoy pics on their pages (but no spoilers) and would (maybe) notice on his own that cacherX didn't sign it.

Good suggestion.

I figure it's a new person and they'll learn at some point.

I guess as a response to the other poster - should have made a point the email to the finder stated "The cache was previously located in ________ 2 weeks ago - where did you find it as it is not there anymore?" This was more a concern that the cacher had not replaced the find as he found it.

These two are from the same cache

August 5, 2007 by XXXX (2560 found)

:)Found the first part. Couldn't get too the second part. I was showing my daughter how to geocache. Gave her a GPS. You'll be seeing more of her in Grand Junction. I think she's hooked. Logging as a find.

July 16, 2007 by XXXX (668 found)

:) Had more trouble finding the park.. Didnt know it was here. Lots of power in the first stage. Couldnt reach the final as it was too far in and didnt have a twezzer etc so didnt log in. Location was askew. Saying I found it!!!

icon_smile.gifMarch 29 by DDDDDDDDD (1034 found)

Did a little maintenance on the fly and replaced container and log where it seemed it should be. If there are any questions feel free to contact me and i'll tell you where I placed the container. If I was wrong I will delete my log.TFTC

icon_sad.gif March 27 by Harry Dolphin (3049 found)

Great little parks (here). The signals were bounding about a bit. But, I'm pretty sure we found where it was supposed to be hiding. Someone had been using a stick to poke around. Oh, well. DNF.

:) Found it February 28 by phoneybaloney (797 found)

we were here although it is not in service at this time

:) Found it February 28 by maude the fraud (752 found)

found the spot---of course no cash

icon_disabled.gifTemporarily Disable Listing October 11, 2010 by CO (91 found)

Retrieved the cache to find a new container and dry out the log. Stay tuned .........

I've seen quite a few "replaced/place a new cache" around in Arkansas (usually by the same folks) but they are placed with confirmation of finding the original.

IE., "Found the film canister and signed log. Canister is in pretty bad shape so I placed the old log in the new cache."

The only time this seems acceptable is when the cacher has confirmed the find and actually has the supplies to replace it IF the cache is DAMAGED. People who do this otherwise are utterly ridiculous. Sad sad sad...

icon_sad.gif August 1, 2010 by The Last Honest Logger(75 found)

Looked high and low around the designated area. Even managed to find the exact spot thanks to the previous pics posted by another. It's not there anymore.

icon_smile.gif August 3, 2010 by No DNFs for me (190 found)

We to did not find it.

icon_disabled.gif August 4, 2010 by I need a new calendar (853 found)

Will try and check this one in a couple of weeks.

icon_smile.gif April 16 by Is Maintenance the same as Throw-down? (9285 found)

This was one I needed to find to complete a challenge down here in Florida so it was a welcome releif. We did some maintance on this one to keep it alive.

(I may be wrong about what maintenance means here, but I found this cache quite easily so I suspect it disappeared last year.)

A "find" posted on one of my caches.

:D April 23 by New Cacher (36 found)

Will return with correct "tools" to actually log this one.

I sent her a note to either change her "find" to a note or delete her entry. To retrieve the cache requires some method of getting up to the container. It's clearly visible, it's just about 12 feet off the ground. Got in a bit of a snit.

I saw this one the other day. It's from last year and the person currently has over 12,000 finds.

"This should have been an easy find. Not too many place for a hide without going on private property. Decided cache is mia so I put out a replacement where I thought the cache should have been."

Do you know how many more smilies I'd have if I just put out a replacement cache every time I couldn't find one...

The cache is now a game of which one do you find when you go... the orginial tin or the replacement pill bottle.

Cache owner has been MIA since Nov 28, 2010. Since that time there has been 4 posts of Need Maintenance, no response from CO. Others have posted there was a controlled burn in the area and they only found a glob of melted plastic which they didn't know if that was the cache.

And then..

:D May 3 by 2ThrowDown(3004 found)

Saw the previous logs and realized that I had a container with me. I searched at ground zero for a few minutes and couldn't find the original container so I left one. I hope that it is OK. If not, feel free to delete my log. The container is a black micro - container, smaller than a film canister. Make sure you snap the lid on tightly and tuck it back in it's place so it doesn't fall out.

So I was out caching yesterday and I needed to run to the store afterwards. There was a cache in the parking lot (an LPC) so I decided to go ahead and grab it, but I only found a rock with a slip of paper under it.

Here's the log:

:) May 10 by WeHavePaper! (1895 found)

On the road again for our northern migration. Thanks to all you fellow cachers for making the trip bearable ! Day three …

Had to improvise here because we believe there is a problem. Signed slip of paper. Will contact the CO... Thanks!

My photo of this 'cache' will be added this afternoon

I was in Raleigh this weekend and had solved this puzzle, but then decided not to go after it once I read the logs:

:) March 30, 2010 by Bold (6071 found)

Contacted a previous finder about what to look for here and it is gone. Having attempted to contact the CO about several of his hides, myself and others get no response. Sad to say that wwflovers seems to have moved on with his life and left this game in the past. What a shame he had a knack. I am going to take a bold step and tell myself I claim a smiley here, I've spent too much time to not walk away with one. I know I would tell you to claim one were this my hide. T4TH

:) November 28, 2010 by CopyCat (785 found)

Solved this puzzle as well. Out to the physical site and as Bold indicated the physical cache is no longer there with an absent CO. Think I'm going to start to carry an angel cache for these situations, see if we can get some of these abandon caches back into working order. We need these Puzzle caches in the area.

:) February 5 by Throwdown1 (26310 found)

I have been here in the past with a clue from a past finder and couldn't come up with a smiley after an extensive search. Throwdown2 and I searched again this morning to no avail and then read some previous logs about the cache and decided to leave a micro angel cache from her stash bag at the coords to help keep this puzzle alive. Thanks CO for the fun puzzle. TFTPC SL

:) February 5 by dream Throwdown2 (7206 found)

Out caching on this very wet, cold, drizzly day. No muggles on the playground today. We searched extensively then placed an angel cache so the game could continue for all. Thanks for the puzzle!

:) May 7 by At Least I Actually Found a Cache (5388 found)

Another who had the puzzle solved a long time ago and found it missing. Thanks Throwdown1&2 fot reviving this one.

Still took a lot of time to come up with this cache, even with the park empty (on such a beautiful day). Thanks for the fun...