Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

I'm kinda new to this, so I would like some opinions on something. What if you find the cache, open it, and the log is so wet it looks like trying to unfold it will destroy it. Can you count that if you mention the circumstances in the log?

Write your name on a piece of paper and add it to the goo. Then notify the cache owner that the cache needs maintenance. (Or do the maintenance yourself)

Here is another local, the cache was disabled by the owner before the last log!! (multi with two stages)

Owner asked for cachers to email him the numbers inside the second to verify the find.

icon_smile.gif January 27 by **********(22 found)

I found the first half, but the second is missing.

icon_disabled.gif August 5, 2009 by^^^^^^^^ (89 found)

will try and fix

icon_smile.gif July 17, 2009 by ######## (42 found)

Found this cache. Needs some repair but very good location and inovative cache.

Was unable to find second location but will look some other time

TFTC

icon_needsmaint.gif July 12, 2009 by @@@@@ (41 found)

can the owner of this cache please advise if this cache is still in place, found the first part very easily

icon_note.gif July 11, 2009 by >>>>>>>>>(11 found)

After looking for 30 minutes we couldn't find the second cache. If anybody knows whether it's still there for sure, please post

icon_sad.gif February 22, 2009 by <<<<<<<<(350 found)

we found the 1st one but after 45 minutes of 7 people looking we gave up on the 2nd

icon_sad.gif February 22, 2009 by ^^^^^^^^(425 found)

Located the first part of this with no problem. Had a large group of family caching and still couldn't locate the second part of this one.

icon_smile.gif February 22, 2009 by ????????(79 found)

found the first part, i have doubts that the second part exists

icon_smile.gif November 5, 2008 by $#$#$#$#$#$#(60 found)

I really love multi-caches. Mother-in-law found the first one. I think we got her hooked.

icon_smile.gif September 7, 2008 by *^*^*^*^*^*^*^(37 found)

VERY FUN!!! :) Will email the numbers soon!

heres a story from the other side of the coin....

I attended a meet and greet in south Jersey. there was a cache that had been recovered from the mud

and was brought to the meet in order to pass it back to the CO who was in attendance.

The CO was planning on archiveing the cache and one of the other cachers picked it up from the fields in order to return it to him. I knew of the cache because I knew the CO, and I was watching the cache from the day it was published. it had been out in the wild for a couple of years was on my to do list. While at the meet, I had the cache in my hands, I opened it and examined the contents, I read some of the entrys in the log book, and then I signed the logbook with a note about being one of the easiest caches I have ever done. I logged the cache as a find when i got home. after all, I "found" the cache, I had it in my hands, I opened the log, I signed the log. the CO later asked me to delete the find because I did not go out into the wild to locate the cache. he said that some of the orignal finders felt it wasnt fair that they had to go out to find it but I got to log it without completing the adventure. out of respect and friendship I deleted the log, but it always bothered me, I met all the criteria of a valid find. just becuase when I found the cache it was not in the orignal location. think of how many other people have found caches that were moved to a different location by "well meaning" cachers.

hhhmmmmm....thats a good debate I think.

I keep all my old log books from my archived caches at my house. If you came over to my house and signed all the logs, would you log them as found? Honestly since, even though it seems 'wrong', I've always said that if you sign the log then you 'found it'. By my 'rules', I think that would be a find.

A friend of mine once removed an old archived cache that was abandoned in the desert and replaced the cache with the original log in it as a new listing. I've never considered this, but by finding that cache, did I not find his cache AND the original cache that was archived? I logged his cache listing as found, but not the archived cache.

This friend also thought of a series of caches where he went and removed a number of abandoned caches and has them in a bag in his garage to be placed as 'recycled'. If I went over to his house and signed all the logs, could I not log all the archived caches as found AND the new caches when he places them?

A traveling cache once went through my area a few years ago and a different friend of mine went and found it and brought it to an event that night where we all signed the log. Did we not find it? I logged the cache as found.

Just where is the line drawn?

cache that had been recovered from the mud and was brought to the meet in order to pass it back to the CO who was in attendance.

The CO was planning on archiveing the cache and one of the other cachers picked it up from the fields in order to return it to him.. ..While at the meet, I had the cache in my hands, I opened it and examined the contents, I read some of the entrys in the log book, and then I signed the logbook with a note about being one of the easiest caches I have ever done. I logged the cache as a find when i got home. ....the CO later asked me to delete the find because I did not go out into the wild to locate the cache. ... I deleted the log, but it always bothered me, I met all the criteria of a valid find. just becuase when I found the cache it was not in the orignal location. think of how many other people have found caches that were moved to a different location

No, you didn't "met all the criteria of a valid find". Finding a cache that weather, critters or cachers have shifted hundreds of feet off the coords is a find. In those cases, the coordinates bring cachers to the site, and they expand their search for a shifted cache.

Finding a cache at an event is the precise definition of a "pocket cache".

Pocket caches were a brief-lived phenom in geocaching. Cache owners carried caches to events for others to log. Eventually it got so out of hand that Groundspeak locked the listings.

One of the primary parts of a listing that is reviewed against the listing guidelines is the coordinates, one of the principal aspects of the activity is using coordinates to find caches. A cache carried to an event is not a geocache anymore. It's nothing but a box.

This is in no way equivalent to moving caches - they are moved, and new coordinates are posted for the next finder.

cache that had been recovered from the mud and was brought to the meet in order to pass it back to the CO who was in attendance.

The CO was planning on archiveing the cache and one of the other cachers picked it up from the fields in order to return it to him.. ..While at the meet, I had the cache in my hands, I opened it and examined the contents, I read some of the entrys in the log book, and then I signed the logbook with a note about being one of the easiest caches I have ever done. I logged the cache as a find when i got home. ....the CO later asked me to delete the find because I did not go out into the wild to locate the cache. ... I deleted the log, but it always bothered me, I met all the criteria of a valid find. just becuase when I found the cache it was not in the orignal location. think of how many other people have found caches that were moved to a different location

No, you didn't "met all the criteria of a valid find". Finding a cache that weather, critters or cachers have shifted hundreds of feet off the coords is a find. In those cases, the coordinates bring cachers to the site, and they expand their search for a shifted cache.

Pocket caches were a brief-lived phenom in geocaching. Cache owners carried caches to events for others to log. Eventually it got so out of hand that Groundspeak locked the listings.

One of the primary parts of a listing that is reviewed against the listing guidelines is the coordinates, one of the principal aspects of the activity is using coordinates to find caches. A cache carried to an event is not a geocache anymore. It's nothing but a box.

This is in no way equivalent to moving caches - they are moved, and new coordinates are posted for the next finder.

Could we maybe spin this off as another topic and leave this one as it's been for years?

Thanks!

Could we maybe spin this off as another topic and leave this one as it's been for years?

Thanks!

Are you like the 'Found It = Didn't Find It' thread moderator or something?

Edited by simpjkee

Thanks!

Like, yes, I am. :lol:

Thanks!

Like, yes, I am. :blink:

Hey, self-appointed moderator guy. Is that a cache in your pocket?

Actually, an old 2002 grandfathered moving cache (which has never been nothing more than a pocket cache designed to be passed around at events in this particular case) has been making the rounds at events close to my area.

OK, I'm done. I must admit, I haven't seen any good "Found it = Didn't Find It" logs in a while. :shocked:

I'm kinda new to this, so I would like some opinions on something. What if you find the cache, open it, and the log is so wet it looks like trying to unfold it will destroy it. Can you count that if you mention the circumstances in the log?

Write your name on a piece of paper and add it to the goo. Then notify the cache owner that the cache needs maintenance. (Or do the maintenance yourself)

What permance does a piece of paper have added to "goo"? After so long your paper and signature will disinigrate and will your find be 'gone' too? If you find the container, open it and it is too wet or gross to sign it, it is still a find, but you have to put a needs maintence log too.

Getting back on track.....

This cache is about to be archived because it's been missing, but that didn't stop this person from logging a find:

:)January 31 by Ilielikeadog (1980 found)

Spent awhile looking. Think it has taken a walk.

With almost 2000 finds, you'd think they'd know what a DNF was by now.

The same guys who were 'outted' in my post #1667 on Nov 8, 2009 are still doing throwdowns. In 3 months they've "found" about 1500 more caches. How many of these "finds" were throwdowns? Given their track record probably quite a few. For yesterday about 11% of their "finds" were throwdowns. They logged 37 finds but 4 of those were throwdowns.

Here are a few from yesterday (02/27/10).

Cache #1 -

B) February 27 by (1 of St Louis Throwdowns) (9072 found)

Caching with (2 of St Louis Throwdowns) on a nippy and breezy but otherwise perfect day for caching. We found the orange tent but no cache so we left a 35mm film canister replacement. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. – (1 and 2 of St Louis Throwdowns), St, Louis MO

Cache #2 -

:) February 27 by (1 of St Louis Throwdowns) (9073 found)

Caching with (2 of St Louis Throwdowns) on a nippy and breezy but otherwise perfect day for caching. This one was known to be gone so we replaced it. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. – (1 and 2 of St Louis Throwdowns), St, Louis MO

Cache #3 -

:) February 27 by (1 of St Louis Throwdowns) (9074 found)

Caching with (2 of St Louis Throwdowns) on a nippy and breezy but otherwise perfect day for caching. This one appears to have sprouted legs and walked away. We left a replacement. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. – (1 and 2 St Louis Throwdowns), St, Louis MO

Cache #4 -

:) February 27 by (1 of ST Louis Throwdowns)(9074 found)

Caching with (2 of St Louis Throwdown) on a nippy and breezy but otherwise perfect day for caching. I do not know if this was gone in 50 seconds or not but it was gone along with the utility pole and some other telephone related equipment possibly taken out by a renegade vehicle. The pole looks to have been replaced so we replace the cache in a nearby easy to find location. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. – (1 and 2 St Louis Throwdowns), St, Louis MO

Getting back on track.....

This cache is about to be archived because it's been missing, but that didn't stop this person from logging a find:

:DJanuary 31 by Ilielikeadog (1980 found)

Spent awhile looking. Think it has taken a walk.

With almost 2000 finds, logs, you'd think they'd know what a DNF was by now.

Took the liberty of correcting this! :D

:D February 27 by (1 of St Louis Throwdowns) (9072 found)

Caching with (2 of St Louis Throwdowns) on a nippy and breezy but otherwise perfect day for caching. We found the orange tent but no cache so we left a 35mm film canister replacement. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. – (1 and 2 of St Louis Throwdowns), St, Louis MO

When they say "good job" are they meaning, "good job not deleting my find"? Somehow the image of the two Guinness beer guys comes to mind. Congratulating themselves with a "BRILLIANT!!!"

When they say "good job" are they meaning, "good job not deleting my find"? Somehow the image of the two Guinness beer guys comes to mind. Congratulating themselves with a "BRILLIANT!!!"

Sort of the same when they say "Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache."

If they only knew how silly they look and what other cachers, including alot from their own area, think of them. Obviously they don't care.

Here's what "2 of St Louis Throwdown" had to say in his logs:

Cache #1 -

:D February 27 by (2 of St Louis Throwdown) (8028 found)

Geocaching with (1 of St Louis Throwdown) and (3 of St Louis Throwdown) logging caches as “#1/#2/#3”, for brevity) on a return trip to the Pana, IL area, collecting caches that have sprung up since our last visit. We KNEW where this one had to be... but it wasn't there. Given the breeziness of the day, we guessed that there might be some kind of wind-tunnel effect going on, so we searched on the ground, but without success. We placed a 35mm film canister back where we'd expected to find the original cache, and it seemed like a great fit for the environment. TNLNSL. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache! (2 of St Louis Throwdown) -- St. Charles, MO.

Cache #2 -

Geocaching with (1 of St Louis Throwdown) and (3 of St Louis Throwdown) (logging caches as “#1/#2/#3”, for brevity) on a return trip to the Pana, IL area, collecting caches that have sprung up since our last visit. We knew that this one was missing, so we were prepared to replace it... which we did, in the likely place. TNLNSL. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache! (2 of St Louis Throwdown) -- St. Charles, MO.

Cache #3 -

:D February 27 by (2 of ST Louis Throwdown) (8028 found)

Geocaching with (1 of St Louis Throwdown) and (3 of St Louis Throwdown) (logging caches as “#1/#2/#3”, for brevity) on a return trip to the Pana, IL area, collecting caches that have sprung up since our last visit. We thought this one still in play, but after a search we concluded that it had gone MIA, so we replaced it like its cousin (Cache #2). TNLNSL. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache! (2 of St Louis Throwdown) -- St. Charles, MO.

Cache #4 -

Geocaching with (1 of St Louis Throwdown) and (3 of St Louis Throwdown) (logging caches as “#1/#2/#3”, for brevity) on a return trip to the Pana, IL area, collecting caches that have sprung up since our last visit. We expected this one to be easier, but it looks like a high-speed vehicle took the corner too fast and wiped out the utility boxes and pole (see pictures). We didn't find the cache container, so we replaced it with something suitable. TNLNSL. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache! (2 of St Louis Throwdown) -- St. Charles, MO.

For Cache #4 log he even posted pictures of what they did not find.

Edited by Wadcutter

I figured I'd move away from reporting Velcro-caching for a while, and contribute to the Throw-down reports.

icon_smile.gif April 14, 2009 by ThrowDown Too (20105 found)

Good deed: replaced missing cache with a black film container on ground...blends in well with its surroundings.

Thanks for an awesome series.

Sorry, I'm back on Velcro-caching again.

icon_smile.gifNovember 17, 2009 by VlCr02 (2086 found)

1/2 of us solved this some time ago and finely got the chance to grab, but all we found was Velcro TFTC

icon_smile.gifNovember 8, 2009 by VLCrO(271 found)

We worked on solving this puzzle until 12:30 am (yes, am) and excitedly went out in the morning (not too early though!) to make this our first find for the day. Well, we found numerous pieces of velcro, a wasp rebuilding its nest, but no cache! After all this effort, and knowing that this is where the cache WAS, we are logging it as a found.

:D December 19, 2009 by (St Louis Throwdown Cacher 1) (8034 found)

Geocaching with (St Louis Throwdown Cacher 2 and Cacher 3) in Tazewell County on a winter weekend with the thermometer stuck on 32°F all day. We spent a long time searching for the bits and pieces mentioned in an earlier log but, not finding them, we placed a new 35mm film canister in a place that shouldn't be too hard to find, even though it blends in pretty well. TNLNSL. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache! -- (St Louis Throwdown Cacher 1), St. Charles, MO.

;) December 19, 2009 by (St Louis Throwdown Cacher 2)(9136 found)

Caching with (St Louis Throwdown Cacher 1) on a great day for hiking in the woods. This one was clearly gone so we left a replacement in an easy to find location. Good job. Thanks, (Cache Owner), for placing this cache. – (St Louis Throwdown Cacher 2 and Cacher 3), St. Louis MO

Throwdowncacher and I had been determined to get this cache when the snakes were napping. So we pulled up our 'Big Girl' pants and went for it! We rented a 'peddle' boat. Thanks to my better half who peddled the most. What a whuppin! I kept hearing the theme from Gilligan's Island running through my brain. We finally found the island, but the Ammo container is gone! So we got crafty and created another container cache with log and pen for the next cacher. It's not the best container, (glass bottle with camo duct tape attached to branch) but after all that, we had to have something to show for it!

A nearby couple that was fishing came to our rescue and towed us back to the boat rental place. Otherwise we would probably still be there!

TFTC! I think! <_<

Originally ClaimASmile uhh Claimed a Smile on my cache

icon_needsmaint.gifFebruary 28 by ClaimASmile (447 found)

Log is AWOL.

icon_sad.gif February 27 by ClaimASmile (447 found)

This was certainly easy to find; unfortunately I couldn't sign the log as it was missing. I found the container hanging open and the log long gone, probably floated away on the tide.

After some correspondence they changed it from a smile to a frown

FN

If you don't sign the log you don't claim a find.

ClaimASmile

But how do you sign a log that's absent?!? The cache was hanging open and completely empty...

FN

You wait till it gets replaced or put in spare log.

Could you change your log to a DNF until you sign the log.

ClaimASmile

Done, but under protest. I think that's a silly rule.

"Find" March 14 by JustHadToHaveASmiley (2350 found)

Since the weather was not all that terrific, we hoped to do easy ones. This one wasn't so easy because it was totally missing. A call to the CO confirmed this and he said he would be out to perform maintenance on it soon. Thanks for the find.

"Disabled" January 30 by CO (2744 found)

Will get out there to check on the location and if it can be replaced.

DNF January 14 by HonestCacher5 (316 found)

DNF...... ALOT OF CONSTRUCTION UNDER WAY.

DNF January 14 by HonestCacher4 (388 found)

DNF ALOT OF CONSTRUCTION GOING ON HERE.

DNF December 31, 2009 by HonestCacher3 (71 found)

We couldn't find this one....a lot of construction around the area makes me think it was destroyed. Owner should check on this one!

DNF December 20, 2009 by HonestCacher2(2461 found)

Looked & looked & looked but didn't find a thing! There was a lot of snow on the ground. Maybe I can use that as an excuse. Time-1435.

DNF December 20, 2009 by HonestCacher1 (1406 found)

Pretty sure this cache is gone considering all the earthmovers

I guess the happy thing here is so many cachers willing to claim their DNF instead of claiming a find of nothing.

Only 11 finds and just starting out yet they're sure the cache is not there because they couldn't find it even tho they looked for the cache at night. Solution? Replace it. At least they didn't claim a find when they replaced it.

(DNF) March 17 by ThrowOneDown (11 found)

I went off looking with (partner). We were on a mission to find this one. We were there the other night and didn't find the micro. I read the logs and figured out that it has been MIA for some time. We hid a new micro, but we didn't find the cammo tube. There were alot of muggles so we just sat around for awhile. It appears there has been some recent work around the cache site. I am not sure if the cammo is still there. (Partner) got in close and really searched. I think it may be gone. We might go back during day light, but not sure yet.

(DNF) March 15 by ThrowOneDown (11 found)

I went out looking for this last night after dinner with (Partner). We did not find the micro at all. We searched lots of nice hiding areas, but no find. Since we weren't expecting to go after dinner we didn't take the time to look at any of the logs ahead of time. When we got home I took the time to check the logs. We will be going back tomorrow evening to see if we can find it based on the previous logs. I did take the time to make a micro and I will place it at the coordinates of the original cache. It's frustrating when you are from out of town and try to do a little caching and come across a situation like this. So I'm only replacing because of that reason.

So if you find a micro with the coordinates in it and it's signed by me you only found the replacement. I too think the original has been muggled. I hope to be back here tomorrow signing the log as a find.

Edited by Wadcutter

Was reading logs on caches I've placed and noticed this one.

November 22, 2009 by ********* (1 found)

Found it, but I forgot pencil, so didn't leave a note.

And from the description;

Film canister hidden on open space near Inver Hills Community College, Bring your own pen,

Second is a little hairier, my guess is as long as you are sure it is the original log book then it is a find. And then notify the owner about the missing container. If it is a local cacher some might grab the log to protect it from the elements and contact the owner to get it to them.

Yes, it was the original log book with previous signatures. We put it in a plastic bag and tied it to a tree to perserve it from the elements and notified the owner who since archieved it. To bad it was a nice piece of history.

So then is a container found with no log in it a no find. I have never came across this situation yet. Just curious. My guess would be a no find because you don't know you have the correct container. But if you knew and or contacted owner of cache and they assured you it was the container I would call it a find log book or no log book beings I had found the correct item that I was looking for. Any opinions on that?

Just found your last example. It was a contact holder that had a magnet attached to it, spray painted silver, hid on the back of a guard rail behind the post. It did not have a log sheet in it though. I think we can all agree that the chances of that not being the right container is about the same as winning the lottery. I counted that one a find with out a second thought.

In the story mentioned earlier, where they just physically could not open the jar, but could see the logs, etc inside, I would say that logging that as a find would be ok too. If its a case where the container has a combination lock, and you get the combination from the clues that would be different, but if its because of rust, etc. then I say log it. I would mention the situation in the log though, and give the owner the chance to delete it if they see fit.

Velcro-Logger claims a find for locating only velcro and then posts a follow up "Needs Maintenance" notifying the owner the cache is missing.

This is a 1/1 cache. There's even a hint telling exactly where to look for the cache.

DNF - March 28 by Honest Cacher 4 (13495 found)

More signs and more mesh marking the property off as no trespassing signs going up. People still wandering around the other big building. Found a little plastic paint pod like container and the velcro but no log or top so not sure that was the container or not.

DNF - March 13 by Honest Cacher 3 (341 found)

Assuming this one is missing as we too found only the velcro but no cache. Had an interesting conversation with some workers on site. Property was recently purchased and is being converted to an RV Center....the owner would like to lease motel so that it can be up & running.

Needs Maintenance - March 13 by Velcro Logger (1814 found)

Cache is missing

:blink: March 13 by Velcro Logger (1814 found)

Found the Velcro but no cache - I am going to take a find for the Velcro.

DNF - March 11 by Honest Cacher 2 (614 found)

I've got a feeling that this cache may be gone. I found the velcrow(Ithink) but no cache. Hope I'm wrong. TFTH

DNF - March 10 by Honest Cacher 1 (2386 found)

Found the velcro but no cache. The manager of the general area came over and asked 2000 questions but I think we might have a new geocacher.

I love the logs where they come right out and say they didn't find it:

:laughing: March 28 by Itried,really! (5 found)

The trip in was super muddy. I think this one has been muggled. I found the location where I think it should be but it was empty. Bummer :-(

It's a fantastic location. I think it's also a popular hang out for locals. We gathered as much trash as we could. I'm almost positive we found the original location and will check with the owner to double check.

Maybe there should be a 'ghost smiley' icon for finding the location where you think it should have been ?

Recently I did a very new series hidden around a jogging/walking trail.

I signed the log of every hide directly beneath the same cacher who found the hides the day before I did.

The last cache of the day was not where it was supposed to be. I found it's tie hanging on a limb at the correct spot, the cache was missing.

I looked on the ground beneath the tie and found the container under some bushes. I signed the log and placed it back where I found it, unfortunately I had nothing to tie it back up with. I noted this in my online log.

The person who found the hides before I did, had logged this one as a find, but did not sign the paper log because he had forgotten to bring a pen. Amazing he had a pen for all the others but not for this one.

It was not difficult to find at all, it was right there on the ground, it took no effort. I guess to him the cable tie was enough.

From a local cache I am watching!

icon_smile.gif April 1 by Honest but claimed anyway(242 found)

I did not sign the log, because I did not actually find it. Another user confirmed this was the cache location and that I needed to pull the metal box off the pipe. Instead of disconnecting the box, I pulled the whole pipe out of the ground. I might have messed with it a little longer if the wind was not trying to knock me off my feet. I am going to log this as a find since I am from east, central Indiana and will not likely be back by to sign the log. :-) Besides, I am posting this on April 4 and it's my 60th birthday. I'm calling it - close enough. Nice hide.

But to post a redeeming log from the same cache, which is a micro and cannot possibly hold a pen, at least he didn't log a smilie!!

icon_needsmaint.gif March 19 by Thought it was the cache (6 found)

Found the chache but everything was gone out of it, only the pen left.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

This is crazy! In my opinion, but this is just a newer cacher perspective, you have to sign the log in order to count it as a find. I have had a cache that I found that was in the top of a road sign, but my family was all too short to reach it plus it was stuck. I did not post a find because I felt like that was cheating. Instead, I posted a note and explained that I found it but couldn't get it out of the hiding space. I do plan on going back with a taller person to sign the log. Some people just need to use their common sense and post a note or DNF instead of claiming a find.

On another note, I like the topic. Kinda gets out everyone's frustration.

This is for a lengthy paddle-multi with multiple DNF's and no finds in two years:

:) February 13 by closeenuffcacher (35 found)

Jusa came back from Ice Fishing and while looking for deadwood to burn in the campfire I found a geocache. Not sure what stage it is, but next time im gonna bring my gps!!!

Maybe we ought to log a smiley for each stage we find?

Continuing with the multi cache theme, there is a multi that starts along a highway in my area. There's 3 other stages that lead to a final. The cache necessitates a 2.9 mile hike to complete. Here's some logs from it.

icon_note.gif July 11, 2009 by Honest Note Logger (1485 found)

Got the first stage but bailed on the rest of the stages. We will have to come back on a cooler day. Thanks for setting up the multi-cache in the beautiful area.

icon_note.gif November 3, 2009 by Second Honest Note Logger (412 found)

Got the first stage. Got a little warm even for November. Will have to come back to grab the rest.

icon_note.gif November 21, 2009 by Third Honest Note Logger (734 found)

Add me to the wimp list. Just did not have time for the hike today. I'll be back. The top of the cantainer at the first stage has broken off. I did not have a container large enough to replace it, or I would have.

Then:

icon_smile.gif January 9 by DNFsAreEasyFinds (63 found)

easy to find but could not find #2

icon_smile.gif January 28 by PreFindLogger (42 found)

Found this one at the end of hiking day - will go back and finish off the rest later.

Thanks for the cache

I love the logs where they come right out and say they didn't find it:

:rolleyes: March 28 by Itried,really! (5 found)

The trip in was super muddy. I think this one has been muggled. I found the location where I think it should be but it was empty. Bummer :-(

It's a fantastic location. I think it's also a popular hang out for locals. We gathered as much trash as we could. I'm almost positive we found the original location and will check with the owner to double check.

Maybe there should be a 'ghost smiley' icon for finding the location where you think it should have been ?

I like the ghost idea. but as a counterpoint, I recently found what I thought was the "original location" but IT was wrong and the cache [a micro and part 1 of a multi] was right where it belonged. That's part of the fun. finally finding it after failed attempts is cool. however, if I go out and seek a cache, I'd like there to at least be hints that "help" I don't want "it's one the third tree, 4 ft off the ground in a squirell hole..." but how about. The hole hunt can be like hunting acorns, but not those on the ground. Just hang around long enough and maybe the critters will show you their stash."

On another note, I most often wonder about poeple that post

;) on Blah, soandso found "caching is easy"

TFTC

and that's all? no decription of their hunt, their day, their shoe size??? really??? did they really find this, or just saw that it was a cache and figured, "Hey, I was in that state once, I'll post some finds there...."

I keep running across them while logging.

icon_needsmaint.gif June 2, 2009 by Log a fencepost (129 found)

I am quite certain I found where it should be but it isn't there. The owner might want to check in on it.

icon_smile.gif June 2, 2009 by Log a fencepost(129 found)

I'm also claiming this one. Found the one wood poast among bunches of T-post. But not container.

And from the same missing cache:

icon_smile.gif May 16, 2009 by Found a wire and logged it (1448 found)

I'm claiming this one even though the cache itself is not there, the wire is there. I looked all around, didn't find the container anywhere near. Didn't have my caching gear with me or I would have replaced it. Everyone loved the sculpture.

:rolleyes:

I confess that I had a Found It = Didn't Find It experience last summer. Here it is, complete with rant:

August 16, 2009 by atmospherium (484 found)

The smashed remains of a tackle box have been here for nearly two years and nobody bothered to pick it up and get rid of it? It's in the trunk of my car now, and tomorrow it goes into the dumpster.

I thought this was the geocache so I claimed a find. I didn't realize there is supposed to be an ammo can there. That's my fault for not reading the cache page properly beforehand, so if the CO wants to delete my find, that's OK. I can come back again to search for the real cache.

But I am a bit peeved that the confusion over this cache has been going on for a couple of years now, according to the logs. All somebody had to do was throw away the broken tackle box.

The CO should now verify ASAP that the ammo can is indeed in place at the correct coords, and this will be a happy little geocache again.

And the follow-up:

August 30, 2009 by atmospherium (484 found)

I'm glad to see the ammo can is indeed in place. But now I'm going to feel guilty until I get a chance to come back out here and find it!

And the happy ending:

October 19, 2009 by atmospherium (484 found)

I finally had a chance to drive out here and find the real cache. Yup, there it is. Now I get to keep my smiley. This is probably the most well-stocked ammo can I've seen. But I didn't do any swag trading. Thanks!

Ususally we have a caching backpack with spare logbooks, if we find a cache where the logbook's full.

But I have already logged two nanos myself withouth signing the logbook, because we simply didn't have the possibility to put a new logbook into those nanos (now we also carry nano logbooks around).

We are from Austria and found those caches in Budapest (Hungary), so we couldn't come back to log it.

What makes me angry ist, when you are printing out a cache and you see that there are so many logs for the owner to maintain it, because the logbook is full and the owner doesn't react. Ok, maybe he/she doesn't have time at the moment, but if I see so many "logbook full" logs, then I take a spare logbook with me. Just to be sure. If I see that at least 20 cachers have reported a missing or full logbook, then I think it is the duty of the next person who finds the cache to replace or add the logbook.

<snip>If I see that at least 20 cachers have reported a missing or full logbook, then I think it is the duty of the next person who finds the cache to replace or add the logbook.

Duty? Hardly. If the owner can't/won't maintain the cache, it should be archived.

Ususally we have a caching backpack with spare logbooks, if we find a cache where the logbook's full.

But I have already logged two nanos myself withouth signing the logbook, because we simply didn't have the possibility to put a new logbook into those nanos (now we also carry nano logbooks around).

We are from Austria and found those caches in Budapest (Hungary), so we couldn't come back to log it.

What makes me angry ist, when you are printing out a cache and you see that there are so many logs for the owner to maintain it, because the logbook is full and the owner doesn't react. Ok, maybe he/she doesn't have time at the moment, but if I see so many "logbook full" logs, then I take a spare logbook with me. Just to be sure. If I see that at least 20 cachers have reported a missing or full logbook, then I think it is the duty of the next person who finds the cache to replace or add the logbook.

Absolutely not. It's not my responsibility to maintain someones cache for them. If the owner has abandoned it, it needs to be archived and put in the garbage. I wouldn't be replacing logs either. If it's full, I'll sign over someone elses name and then log the 'needs maintainence' as appropriate.

I think some previous posts may have been misinterpreted. Do I feel its my "duty" to maintain a cache where the owner is not?? Depends!!

If I am so insistant on seeking that cache and logging the find... yes, its my duty to "make it loggable". If you are too impatient, or too self-entitled to a smiley, that you cannot wait for the owner to perform maintenance, or the cache to be archived, then you should take the necessary steps to fufill your entitlement. I don't think that is asking too much.

My pet peeve is people logging a find, and mentioning in their "found it" log that the logbook is full. Is it too much to ask for a NM log?? I guess it comes down to what you want to contribute to the game, and what you want to get out of it. Sometimes that is extremely one sided.

Sorry to go off-topic!!

I think some previous posts may have been misinterpreted. Do I feel its my "duty" to maintain a cache where the owner is not?? Depends!!

If I am so insistant on seeking that cache and logging the find... yes, its my duty to "make it loggable". If you are too impatient, or too self-entitled to a smiley, that you cannot wait for the owner to perform maintenance, or the cache to be archived, then you should take the necessary steps to fufill your entitlement. I don't think that is asking too much.

My pet peeve is people logging a find, and mentioning in their "found it" log that the logbook is full. Is it too much to ask for a NM log?? I guess it comes down to what you want to contribute to the game, and what you want to get out of it. Sometimes that is extremely one sided.

Sorry to go off-topic!!

Ouch. There is no requirement to log an NM. Not sure why you think that there should be? I have always found a way to get my initials on the log (or added a piece of paper with my initials.) But, as you noted, that is off-topic to this discussion.

(To stay on-topic...) As to velcro caches... I DNFed a cache where I found the strip of velcro, and a pen. CO kindly informed me that I needed to look harder. The log was within the pen. the velcro was a red herring.

This was a great cache with moderate difficulty that somehow went missing.

Six cachers logged DNF's:

DNF October 18, 2008 by HonestCacher1 (1978 found)

Lots of bush whacking with at least 3 different kinds of thorny bushes. It looks like the trail is being allowed to revert to its natural state. When we arrived at GZ we had no luck finding the cache. We spread out and still no luck.

DNF January 18, 2009 by HonestCacher2 (67 found)

I could not find cache just like those before me. The trail is being cleared by a couple of local boys. I spoke to them and one had seen cache and the other was a nebe(sp) but interested in geocaching.

Nice walk in !

DNFJanuary 29, 2009 by HonestCacher3 (276 found)

Very cool trail, and yeah, it could use some brush hogging. On my next try I might carry a machete and try to help clear it a bit. Found the remains of the tree but no ammo box. Given I'm the third consecutive DNF I suggest a check for mugglin'.

Thanks - I'll watch the site, but will probably return just to complete the trail!

DNFApril 19, 2009 by HonestCacher4 (156 found)

Very cool walk with the boys. Cache not to be found

DNF April 19, 2009 by HonestCacher5 (83 found)

Nice walk with the family, saw some little crabs.

Luckily the bugs didn't find us.

Somebody dug a trap in the middle of the path, WEIRD!

Is the cache gone?

NOTE May 17, 2009 by ConcernedCacher (1454 found)

I know this is a very special cache for those of you who knew XX; however, it has been over a year since it has been found and a look-see is certainly warranted. Perhaps one of the local hardcore group can check this one out. I would be glad to go with anyone who has already been there to provide some company along the way, but I'm reluctant to go on my own with the recent string of DNFs. Will be in Florida for the next few weeks then back to Mn. and return in the fall. BTW, I spent almost 40 years in Pittsburgh and can still speak "Pittsburghese". Thanks.

DNF January 30 by HonestCacher6 (7 found)

Interesting location and huge annual neighborhood yard sale going on just outside the cache coordinates. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate this cache with a team of four and a thorough search. Mosquitoes were vicious, so wear your repellant and spiders plenty, so look out for webs lol I think this cache may have blown away in Wilma? Good luck and happy caching!

These cachers didn't follow the example of those who posted before them:

:o March 7 by I'mEntitledToIt (223 found)

I am claiming I found it even though it was not there, because my kids and I got very muddy feet, mosquito bites and cuts from the bushes. Nice area but disappointed in no cache

NM March 11 by I'mEntitledToIt (223 found)

It is not there

Prompting this retort from a local:

NOTE March 11 by ConcernedCacher2 (667 found)

That is an interesting, new reason to log a cache as a find. I owe myself a few in that case. Not sure who is taking care of this cache for CO1 and CO2. Maybe YYYYY and I can try to replace this next week. That's the earliest we could try to replace it.

Perhaps you shouldn't have to seek a cache to get a find?

Maybe you could just walk around outside and get your feet dirty?

This game gets easier all the time!

This was a great cache with moderate difficulty that somehow went missing.

These cachers didn't follow the example of those who posted before them:

:o March 7 by I'mEntitledToIt (223 found)

I am claiming I found it even though it was not there, because my kids and I got very muddy feet, mosquito bites and cuts from the bushes. Nice area but disappointed in no cache

NM March 11 by I'mEntitledToIt (223 found)

It is not there

Perhaps you shouldn't have to seek a cache to get a find?

Maybe you could just walk around outside and get your feet dirty?

This game gets easier all the time!

Great lesson for the kids. If you get muddy feet and bug bites, make up for it by claiming something that doesn't belong to you. Twenty years from now, they'll slip in a parking lot because they are too stupid to realize that it's raining, then sue the shopkeeper for a couple of million, even though they suffered no damages, except to their precious ego's.

It's mine, I deserve it, I got muddy feet.

Stumbled across a cache located inside a building with limited hours, although they aren't mentioned on the cache page at all.

Just because a few folks showed up outside those hours didn't stop them from adding 1 to their smiley count.

:)May 22 by Ima Lyon (900 found)

Found it place wasn't open for business TFTC

:cry:May 24 by NoPenNeeded (357 found)

Didn't get there during normal hours, no prize for me. Maybe I'll try it again next time I'm in town. TFTC.