Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

All it takes to get a smiley is look 2 consecutive days and a cool location.....

--------------------------

:rolleyes: April 23 by (No Find But Log Anyway Cacher) (12 found)

Was by a few times on the 22nd and the 23rd... Figured it out - but was advised temporarily unavailable... Was sad not to sign a log... Came back a few times to investigate before my trip to Key West was done but was never operational... Cool location though!

This one had over a hundred "finds" on a missing cache. Here are just the first few.

:unsure: September 17, 2005 by Foney (1602 found)

With or without the cache, it is a nice area to visit.

:ph34r: September 13, 2005 by Phraud (137 found)

Glad to see I can log this one even though it is missing. I emailed the description of the area to you. I had the coods preloaded and did not know if it would be there. I can not find a lot of my preloaded caches because they have been muggled and I do not know it.

:P September 11, 2005 by Lyerr (2509 found)

With FakeFamily for and afternoon of caching, Thanx!

:P September 10, 2005 by FakeFamily (2747 found)

Owner informed us the cache turned up missing, but we were in the right place to have found it if it was there.

icon_sad.gif September 5, 2005 by Lyerr (2509 found)

With FakeFamily--lots of dead mice, grasshoppers and people, no cache.

icon_sad.gif September 5, 2005 by FakeFamily (2747 found)

Was out & about with Lyerr today. We could not find it. We knew where it should have been, but searching only turned up a dead mice.

Edited by briansnat

As a newcomer to geocaching, I don't see why someone even considers logging a find that they didn't actually find. Out of 7 searches I've made so far, 2 were not found, and I didn't have a problem saying that, even though I KNOW I was "right there". I would think it's important to note when a cache is "not found" as it could be missing and the owner needs to know.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't read the whole thread, but it strikes me that the only person you're cheating by logging a non-find is yourself. If your conscience is happy for you to do that, then go ahead. I personally prefer to look back at the cheery smilies I've clocked up with a degree of satisfaction of how I found it, what it looked like, etc.

Isn't it akin to cheating at sport or in exams otherwise, at the end of the day?

:laughing:

May 19 by CantUseDNF (2476 found)

Oh my, defeat number two for me while searching for caches in Oklahoma. I searched for a few minutes then decided to retreat due to the huge mosquito invasion, possible poison ivy and another tick that decided to tag along on my leg.

I didn't have any clues with me but once I got back to my hotel room I saw peoples comments about spotting the hide from the road so I must have missed this one plain and simple.

Seriously?!?

Wow. He honestly used the :laughing:...So I went back out there....surprise....where I saw it last. in plain sight.

Sheesh.

icon_sad.gif May 9, 2009 by RealCacher (1067 found)

Only found some velcro, looks like this ones gone. Tanks

icon_smile.gif May 9, 2009 by VelcroHunter (458 found)

Pretty spot! found velcro, needs repair. TFTC

icon_smile.gif May 9, 2009 by VelcroHunter2 (1308 found)

Found with VelcroHunter. Nice place. Thanks for the memories.

icon_smile.gif May 3, 2009 by VelcroHunter3 (2450 found)

Hunted a while, coords a bit loose. Found the velcro, calling this a find!

icon_smile.gif May 2, 2009 by VelcroHunter4 (897 found)

You probably ought to check this. Very nice walk to cache, pretty view. Bad skeeters. Lift new log tucked behind velcor

icon_smile.gif February 16, 2009 by VelcroHunter5 (1281 found)

Found It Great Hide 1/482

icon_smile.gif February 16, 2009 by VelcroHunter6 (982 found)

Out with VelcroHunter5 - tough hunt, but found the velcro. TFTC.

icon_smile.gif January 17, 2009 by VelcroHunter7 (38 found)

Second time here! found the velcro. This was hard. Gald to get this one off my list.

icon_smile.gif December 28, 2008 by Geocacher (729 found)

Cache is coming loose from velcro. We tried to tie a little bit of string around it and the matchsafe. Better fix it before it falls into the water. Nice sunset spot. My dog liked this place too.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Archive 6/10/2009 Reviewer archived it

Why anyone would log a find on a piece of velcro is beyond me.

Needs Archived 6/9/2009 Cacher requested it to be archived

There has been no cache here to be found, nor log to be signed since at least October '08, just a bit of velcro. Sorry, but IMO it needs to be repaired or retired.

Found it 5/31/2009 Velcro TOO found it

Like the last few I'll log the velcro find. TFTH

Found it 5/27/2009 Velcro More found it

Made a cache dash to Viera under surprisingly sunny skies with Buddyand made it through the day without getting wet, neat location although we had to contend ourselves with viewing the velcro !

Found it 5/26/2009 VVV found it

Thanks very much for placing this cache in such a great location! My buddy, and I had a great afternoon caching . The velcro is still there, but the cache container gone.

Found it 5/24/2009 Velcro11 found it

Like the other entries...velcro is there, but the cache is missing. :-(

Found it 5/9/2009 Velcro44 found it

We found velcro, but we had not read previous logs.

Found it 5/7/2009 Velcro88 found it

Stopped in during the event Found velcro, TFTF

Found it 5/5/2009 Velcro99 found it

Also found velcro. Owner said it was OK to claim a find. Container keeps getting muggled.

Found it 3/7/2009 velcro76 found it

Took us a minute to figure out how the cache would be attached to this thing, but after taking a CLOSER look we found some velcro. Not sure if there is still supposed to be a container attached. Thought I would log to let you know there was an attempt. TFTH.

Found it 2/25/2009 velcro43

Found the velcro where the cache was supposed to be, but no container. Reminds me of games we played as children.

Found it 2/2/2009 veclro12 found it

Found the velcro, but still have not seen a log. Funny place for a cache and a bit silly if seen by others.

Found it 1/31/2009 velcro77 found it

Found the velcro its a shame this ones not still there. It is a very clever hiding place. Wierd but clever.

Found it 1/31/2009 velcro55 found it

velcro88 was feeling too shy to look where he thought the cache was, so I did the dirty deed instead. I asked it he wanted a picture, but he declined

Found the supporting evidence, but no log to sign.

Found it 1/27/2009 velcro88 found it Florida

#1678 We found where the remains of velcro where the cache was supposed to be, but the container has gone missing.

1 of 52 caches found today with v00 while vacationing in Florida. Thanks for the hide.

Found it 1/25/2009 velcro00 found it

We found the velcro also.

Didn't find it 1/15/2009 Cacher couldn't find it

found the velcro, but the container seems to be missing???

Found it 12/23/2008 velcro087 found it

After waiting out several muggles, I finally got a chance to take a good look where I thought the velcro should be, and there it was! TFTC.

Found it 11/9/2008 velcroUU found it

Found the place where the cache was attached. I wasn't sure the cache was missing or what until I returned to the computer, but mall security scared me off with a drive by and snearing glance. The area has surveillance now, so beware. Will send e-mail with pic to confirm. TFTH

Found it 11/9/2008 velcroHHH found it

Found location with Velcro555

Found it 11/9/2008 Velcro55 found it Florida

Found during SCEC08.

Found it 11/8/2008 velcro forever found it

Doing the caching thing Found while doing our scouting around while keeping us in the area before the whistle blew. TFTH- sneaky!

Found it 11/8/2008 velcro765 found it

Out caching with the velcroHunters before the WWFM IV

event . Found the place where the cache was attached. We were a little hesitant to check there but we did. TFTH DNSL

Found it 11/9/2008 VelcroHunters found it Florida

Found during SCEC08.

Owner Maintenance?????? 10/19/2008 velcrocache owner

This has been muggled many times.All you need to do to get a smiley is to email me where you found the velcro attachment.

Found it 10/19/2008 velcrohunter2 found it

I too only found the Velcro™ strip. A muggle gave me an odd look when I took a peak. I really wish I had my kids with me that time. Oops.

Found it 7/17/2008 velcrohunter found it

Rechecked today, it is gone again. The "team" said log it as found however...

17 Jul: Found a patch of velcro where we are pretty sure it should be, but, no cache.

Now here's an interesting one from a Sociological perspective. Apparently, proclaiming a cache missing, claiming a find for finding "where it's supposed to be", and dropping a throw-down is not a learned behavior, but rather an instinctive behavior for certain individuals.

The following logs are from a newbie on their first day of caching, one day after they created an account. The cache was later confirmed as being safely in it's proper hiding spot by the cache owner.

icon_smile.gif May 31 by JUST JOINED YESTERDAY (3 found)

found the cache...but only sort of...see below for more details

icon_needsmaint.gif May 31 by JUST JOINED YESTERDAY (3 found)

[i loved the multicache! never knew about all that creek history. found the final cache (or where it should have been) It was marked well, but someone has snatched the cache! I didn't come prepared with with a replacement, but we had a teeny plastic zippy lock and] we placed a note inside with a Euro] (my boyfriend is from Spain). [Perhaps it's time to move this cache a bit, maybe the kids nearby discovered it?]

:) May 29 by Didn't Sign Log (2179 found)

Very nice area for a Multi cache, we enjoyed this cache until the final stage where a 3+ foot bull snake was guarding the cache with a series malfunction. We never got the snake to leave the cache as it's a good place to hide out so we didn't get to stamped the log. dadgum Snake won this time.

icon_disabled.gif June 21 by CacheOwner (340 found)

This one is missing so I will replace it soon.

icon_smile.gifJune 20 by Rodent (184 found)

Finally got this one off my list. Used alt. coords. which were perfect. I didn't get to the cache because of the blackberry bushes, but I'm calling it a find.

4 DNFS before the find

From the cache's description: A small stick or rigid wire for poking would certainly come in handy.

From one of the logs with a smiley:

June 18 by I CAN SEE IT BUT I CAN'T GET IT (1132 found)

Log - IT'S RIGHT THERE!!!

Wpt:

4:22 - 4:22

Found: Yes

Notes:

Found easily enough but it has been pushed backed too far into its namesake for retrieval without special tools; unable to sign log. If the owner would like proof of my visit, email me and I'll describe the color.

TFTH

This is for a 5/5 cache. Finding it is easy. You just have to look in the right place and it's in plain view. Getting to it involves bringing or finding proper tools to not only retrieve but to return it to its location. Even the cache owner posted this note on the page:

"IF YOU DO NOT RETURN THE CACHE TO ITS PROPER POSITION, YOUR FIND AND LOG WILL BE DELETED. CHOOSE WISELY, MY FRIENDS"

But not for these 2. Guess they can't read in addition to not actually "finding" it. They still claimed the find....

:anitongue: July 9 by PhonyFinderOne (8 found)

I was out caching with PhonyFinderTwo and found this one... however, we didn't have the proper equipment, so we're planning a return visit. Almost busted out my gymnastic skills!

:laughing: July 9 by PhonyFinderTwo (88 found)

Out caching with PhonyFinderOne...well, we found it, but neither of us had the proper equipment to retrieve. I will be sure to return!

I have just started geocaching and have wondered about fake logging as well. I don't have time to read through all the posts here about it, so I'm not sure if this has been done, but has anyone ever written a "secret code" on their cache container and putting a note online that says in addition to logging it as a "find", you must also email the secret code to the cache owner so it can be confirmed it was actually found? If no secret code is emailed, the "found" log will be deleted?

Edited by tnshutterbug

I have just started geocaching and have wondered about fake logging as well. I don't have time to read through all the posts here about it, so I'm not sure if this has been done, but has anyone ever written a "secret code" on their cache container and putting a note online that says in addition to logging it as a "find", you must also email the secret code to the cache owner so it can be confirmed it was actually found? If no secret code is emailed, the "found" log will be deleted?

People have done that in the past, until Groundspeak outlawed it. It's called an additional logging requirement, or ALR, and it was outlawed about two months ago.

Even the really special hunts are not immune from this disease. You would think that someone making a six mile hike to a cache would be in it for the experience and not just the smiley. :ph34r: At least they did write a nice detailed log instead of "TNLNSL (Sortof)."

May 9 by Mxxxxxx (1000+ found)

Caching Partner and I both wanted this cache since it was a "qualifying" 6 mile hike, and today was the day we picked to attempt this challenge, and another. I have been very busy, so CP did all the planning for our hike today, for which I was very grateful. And he did an excellent job too! Thanks!

Our first challenge came in the form of a flat tire for me along I-69. Thankfully I was only 12 miles from home, so my sweet daughter who was planning to sleep late today, instead got up and brought me my van. SO and I were able to meet up with CP just an hour or so later than planned.

The day started overcast, and although rain was not predicted, it certainly looked and felt like it might rain when we started out.

Within a short time the clouds moved on and it turned into a clear, sunny, just about perfect temperature day.

We were enjoying our hiking and caching, when as we were nearing this cache we saw a man with a gun approaching. I was glad I was not alone at that point! It turns out he was turkey hunting and had gotten completely turned around. He was a long way from his truck. We showed him our maps and got him headed in the direction he needed to go. Later we wished we had gotten his phone number so we could make sure he made it out OK.

We made our way to the cache site and began searching, and searching....wasn't this an large ammo box? ....this is a V-tree...we did as the clue suggested....do we look through the V the other way?... is there another V-tree around?....do we look a long way off in the distance? ...did anyone else indicate the cache was hard to find?....is it hanging somewhere?....no one else seems to have had trouble finding it....perhaps it is missing....but it was found recently.... All these thoughts and more we discussed as we donned heavy gloves to thoroughly searched the most likely area and then expanded our search. Finally we ate lunch and tried to phone a friend, but neither of us had cell phone reception. Slightly dejected we finally we decided to move on to our next challenge. I was hoping that the cache would prove to be missing, and that is exactly what happened. That bit of information restored my confidence in my caching abilities. So, with the permission of the (enabling) cache owner, I am logging this as a find. Don't feel guilty, CO, sometimes caches come up missing - it is all just a part of the game.

It was a great day for hiking and I had a wonderful time out in the woods today. It was an enjoyable day I will remember.

Mxxxx and SO

I removed the geocacher's name and cache name to protect the identity of the geocacher.

********** found ********** (Traditional Cache) at 7/17/2009

Log Date: 7/17/2009

I didn't actually find this cache, because it's never been there since i started Geocaching. I have tried and tried to get a hold of the owner and even was willing to adopt this cache. no answer, I'm guessing the owner is dead or something. but I'm sick and tired of seeing this one at the top of my list. so since I've been right where it was supposed to be and so I don't have to see it any more I'm claiming the find. if anyone knows how to get a cache deleted without the owner or adopted, let me know.

I know EXACTLY which cache you're talking about...I was one of the last to actually find it before it went missing. :D

There has been no cache here to be found, nor log to be signed since at least October '08, just a bit of velcro. Sorry, but IMO it needs to be repaired or retired.

Made a cache dash to Viera under surprisingly sunny skies with Buddyand made it through the day without getting wet, neat location although we had to contend ourselves with viewing the velcro !

Thanks very much for placing this cache in such a great location! My buddy, and I had a great afternoon caching . The velcro is still there, but the cache container gone.

Also found velcro. Owner said it was OK to claim a find. Container keeps getting muggled.

Took us a minute to figure out how the cache would be attached to this thing, but after taking a CLOSER look we found some velcro. Not sure if there is still supposed to be a container attached. Thought I would log to let you know there was an attempt. TFTH.

Found the velcro where the cache was supposed to be, but no container. Reminds me of games we played as children.

Found the velcro, but still have not seen a log. Funny place for a cache and a bit silly if seen by others.

Found the velcro its a shame this ones not still there. It is a very clever hiding place. Wierd but clever.

velcro88 was feeling too shy to look where he thought the cache was, so I did the dirty deed instead. I asked it he wanted a picture, but he declined

#1678 We found where the remains of velcro where the cache was supposed to be, but the container has gone missing.

1 of 52 caches found today with v00 while vacationing in Florida. Thanks for the hide.

After waiting out several muggles, I finally got a chance to take a good look where I thought the velcro should be, and there it was! TFTC.

Found the place where the cache was attached. I wasn't sure the cache was missing or what until I returned to the computer, but mall security scared me off with a drive by and snearing glance. The area has surveillance now, so beware. Will send e-mail with pic to confirm. TFTH

Found during SCEC08.

Doing the caching thing Found while doing our scouting around while keeping us in the area before the whistle blew. TFTH- sneaky!

event . Found the place where the cache was attached. We were a little hesitant to check there but we did. TFTH DNSL

Found during SCEC08.

This has been muggled many times.All you need to do to get a smiley is to email me where you found the velcro attachment.

I too only found the Velcro™ strip. A muggle gave me an odd look when I took a peak. I really wish I had my kids with me that time. Oops.

17 Jul: Found a patch of velcro where we are pretty sure it should be, but, no cache.

Found during SCEC08.

Found during SCEC08.

You should see the write up for GCR7AE.

icon_camera.gifJuly 25 by Missing-Something (577 found)

Have done these before but didn't have access to anyone with a computer. Fortunately, Abetter was along from the grab, so he took a photo of me at GZ. Hope this is sufficient! TFTC!

If you've done them before, you know that a webcam photo is required. Or, you could post a false find, and hope that it doesn't get deleted. Something wrong with this picture?

Re Velcro Finds, I know of a particularly fiendish micro with red herring velcro bits deliberately placed in the area. From time to time someone replaces the "missing" cache, and tells cache owner they've done so. Cache owner checks log on real cache, removes the replacement cache, and invites them to log a DNF and hunt again.

While I rather enjoy the notion of this, I sure wouldn't want to own it......

Re Velcro Finds, I know of a particularly fiendish micro with red herring velcro bits deliberately placed in the area. From time to time someone replaces the "missing" cache, and tells cache owner they've done so. Cache owner checks log on real cache, removes the replacement cache, and invites them to log a DNF and hunt again.

While I rather enjoy the notion of this, I sure wouldn't want to own it......

That's just evil...

... I love it!

Needs Archived 8/4/2009 VelcroFinder#5

There really is no cache here. You will find my piece of paper but no container. Really needs to be fixed or archived.

Found it 8/4/2009 VelcroFinder#5 found it

Found it and logged a piece of paper and stuck it in the velcro - but come on people - stop logging velcro

("but come on people - stop logging velcro" this in his Found it log, ah the irony....)

Needs Maintenance 8/2/2009 VelcroFinder#4 reported it needs maintenance

There is no cache here.

Found it 8/2/2009 VelcroFinder#4

I usually look at a cache page if there has been a DNF in the last 4 or 5 attempts. All looked ok here. Didn't read the logs until I was on the bridge and there was no cache. This is my third time here and each time the cache has been missing. Cache should probably be disabled until it is replaced.

Found it 6/28/2009 VelcroFinder#3

nice walk, hot but windy, saw dolphins and rays, nothing but velcro left to find thanks for the experience

Needs Maintenance 6/11/2009 VelcroFinder#2 reported it needs maintenance

Log is gone, needs to be replaced. Would be a really neat series if all the caches were there.

Found it 6/11/2009 VelcroFinder#2

Found the velcro.

Found it 4/22/2009 VelcroFinder

Found velcro.

Can't find it? Just toss a replacement. At least they admit they cheat.

:cool: August 8 by XXXXX (548 found)

took XXXX out on a nice day of caching found 40 caches 7 benchmarks wow what a day. well we found the spot were the cache was and just the hanging devices was there but when went to find the bench mark we also found somthing that with a little modification was able to make a replacement cache (i dont like to admit defeat) that should work for a little while. tftc

(Edited to account for additional logging since my original post)

August 15 by False Find (2256 found)

Down from xxx for the event and was told to log this missing cache as a find, thank you very much!

August 15 by Honest DNF (383 found)

I should have paid more attention at the event - this was a known missing cache... Oh well, a DNF is a DNF... I'll claim this as my smiley:

August 15 by False Find 2 (2517 found)

Both the owner and the lady across the street confirmed it was missing and we were told to log a find. Thanks for the cache.

August 15 by Honest DNF 2(1024 found)

While we were looking a cacher drove by and said, "it's missing, log it as a find." We don't usually do that.

(For this small sample, there seems to be a correlation between false finds and high counts.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

Here is a cache owner who tells people to replace his cache if you can't find it, don't log a DNF, or you can log it as a virtual. He has several caches in the area with these instructions on the cache page.

There is a problem with a cache thief in XXXXXX who keeps stealing all the caches over and over again. We are pretty sure who it is. If you do not find the cache, do NOT post a did not find (DNF) or anything in your log to indicate it is not there. Email me and let me know it is gone so I can get it replaced without alerting the thief. I would appreciate people carrying a replacement container and log in case the thief has stolen the cache. If you replace it for me, sign the log, log a find and do NOT mention in the log you replaced the container, and email me that you replaced it. If you don’t have a container and are not pleased with not being able to log a find due to the thief, I am told geocaching.com says you are not supposed to be able to log a “virtual” find. But if you do something like take a picture of yourself or your GPS in the correct place or tell me about the spot, I am not the cache police and logging it as a find will help confuse the thief on the status of the cache. I have also placed more than one container at some of the caches, so if you find more than one container, do NOT say anything about it in your log. While this won't stop the thief, this will make things much more difficult for the thief.

Finds for AmmoCan under the bridge

:mad: August 1 by HonestCacher (350 found)

Wow bad news to yall again. I believe this one is gone, or I'm blind. It's a 50/50 sometimes lol. Knew where it should have been when I pulled up. There were some muggles nearby so I went ahead to Nearby Cache in the park. Came back and looked with no luck.

:ph34r: August 7 by CacheOwner's Kid (158 found)

out with owner today checking on this one it is missing hope to have it back up soon she said, logging a find through owners permission

:anibad: August 16 by TeamDNF (2937 found)

Up in nearby city working, but we had to take a day off... Lets go caching!! We thought that since we were there and the cache was missing, maybe the owner would let us claim a find, too. I did have to crawl around under there... Cool location for a cache, I hope you get it back up soon.

Edited by IkeHurley13

Here is a cache owner who tells people to replace his cache if you can't find it, don't log a DNF, or you can log it as a virtual. He has several caches in the area with these instructions on the cache page.

There is a problem with a cache thief in XXXXXX who keeps stealing all the caches over and over again. We are pretty sure who it is. If you do not find the cache, do NOT post a did not find (DNF) or anything in your log to indicate it is not there. Email me and let me know it is gone so I can get it replaced without alerting the thief. I would appreciate people carrying a replacement container and log in case the thief has stolen the cache. If you replace it for me, sign the log, log a find and do NOT mention in the log you replaced the container, and email me that you replaced it. If you don’t have a container and are not pleased with not being able to log a find due to the thief, I am told geocaching.com says you are not supposed to be able to log a “virtual” find. But if you do something like take a picture of yourself or your GPS in the correct place or tell me about the spot, I am not the cache police and logging it as a find will help confuse the thief on the status of the cache. I have also placed more than one container at some of the caches, so if you find more than one container, do NOT say anything about it in your log. While this won't stop the thief, this will make things much more difficult for the thief.

I think that needs an SBA

I think that needs an SBA

The person has 7 caches all with the same statement.

Finds for AmmoCan under the bridge

sad.gif August 1 by HonestCacher (350 found)

Wow bad news to yall again. I believe this one is gone, or I'm blind. It's a 50/50 sometimes lol. Knew where it should have been when I pulled up. There were some muggles nearby so I went ahead to Nearby Cache in the park. Came back and looked with no luck.

biggrin.gif August 7 by CacheOwner's Kid (158 found)

out with owner today checking on this one it is missing hope to have it back up soon she said, logging a find through owners permission

biggrin.gif August 16 by TeamDNF (2937 found)

Up in nearby city working, but we had to take a day off... Lets go caching!! We thought that since we were there and the cache was missing, maybe the owner would let us claim a find, too. I did have to crawl around under there... Cool location for a cache, I hope you get it back up soon.

:mad: August 16 by Team DNF's friend(logged 9 days later) (1735 found)

Took a nice Sunday off work and decided we'd do some caching.TFTC!

icon_remove.gifAugust 25 by NotThere (7623 found)

Cache has been destroyed for months and people are logging fake finds on a non existent cache.

icon_sad.gifAugust 25 by NotThere (7623 found)

Yup found where it should have been affixed and all I saw was smashed stuff on the ground, You may want to disable this cache until you can replace it. So others will not look for it. Looked for a log book so a DNF for me.

icon_needsmaint.gif August 4 by MoreHonestPeople (46 found)

My daughter went to find this one and says it is destroyed.

:unsure: July 31 by GoWithTheFlow (389 found)

I was going to log a DNF but since others are logging a find for the cover I will too. We did find that. Replace it where we found it - supposedly where the rest of the cache used to be also.

:blink: July 11 by SignAnything(1565 found)

Ditto what FoundSomething said. We signed the cache cover since the cache log and container are missing and then replaced the cover as we had found it. Lots of "junk" around the area so it must be a place kids hang out at. Owner needs to check up on this one. TFTC!

icon_needsmaint.gifJuly 11 by FoundSomeThing (3899 found)

Needs maintenance very badly.

:o July 11 by FoundSomething (3899 found)

We were not aware of XXX log, but we also found only the lid. We did sign the lid, which was the only "log" to be found, and in good time-honored XXX fashion, we (SighAnything and myself) as assuming that to be sufficient. Will gladly delete said smiley at the request of the cache owner.

Personally, I would not recommend replacing this cache without moving it. Kids are hanging out here. Anything else in the same spot will be doomed.

;) July 10 by OtherSplinterFinder(697 found)

Found cover and some charred remains,signed piece of wood. needs repair.

:P July 10 by FoundSplinters (1802 found)

Found what was left of it (?) with OtherSplinterFinder. Located a piece of hiding spot in original position. Found the round lid to container on the ground, plus other pieces of hiding spot on ground in a semi-burned condition, scattered about. Signed one piece of charred remains, and tucked it and round lid in a spot and covered some with leaves, don't know if they will last. We are claiming the find, but if you want to disallow it and delete this log, feel free. Thanks for putting it there, though it doesn't seem like another similar placement is likely to last, either.

:P June 27 by LastHonestFinder (605 found)

On my way to XXX from XX and decided to do as many P&G's as I could along the way

When you turn 66 you only have to get close to log a find. I guess that's on the AARP card altho I can read the fine print on mine to see exactly what it says:

July 18, 2008 by AARP Member #2 (243 found)

Well I think I found it. Got within a few feet but decided to not scale the last vertical feet. Not as agile at 66 as at 22. That's got to count as a find. We think the cache has been moved from it's described location.

July 18, 2008 by AARP Member#1 (266 found)

Found it? Well maybe! We could see it - got to within 10-12 ft. vertically - but a difficult risky climb for a 66 year old. Saw it easily from the rocks across from the cache. Does seeing it count?

Also, from the hint we're not sure that it is in the original location.

July 3, 2007 by Last Honest Finder (88 found)

Very pretty view. This cache needs maintenance (new log book, waterproof container). Print out the hints, we did not and the canyon makes for some interesting coodinates.

I usually check to see if a webcam is working first, these 3 people didn't.

icon_camera.gifAugust 14 by WebCamScammer1 (2746 found)

As WebCamScammer2 and WebCamScammer3 reported, sadly the service was not available ...

Nevertheless, thanks for the cache!

icon_camera.gifAugust 14 by WebCamScammer2 (691 found)

Found it with WebCamScammer1 and WebCamScammer3. But the service was disabled

Thanks for this nice cache.

Greets from XXXX

WebCamScammer2

icon_camera.gifAugust 14 by WebCamScammer3 (1924 found)

When we wanted to log (after almost an hour of walking around, too), we tried to take a webcam pic but no luck as the service was disabled. We still took a webcam pic of the disabled cam and also took pictures of us on the site ... what a stupid thing to do ;-)

Edited by FunnyNose

icon_camera.gif September 5 by WebcamScammer4 (784 found)

Caching today with WebcamScammers 1, 2 & 3. Beautiful weather for hunting. Photo submitted by WebcamScammer1.

icon_camera.gif September 5 by WebcamScammer3 (952 found)

Caching today with WebcamScmmers 1, 2 & 4. Beautiful weather for hunting. Photo submitted by WebcamScammer1.

icon_camera.gif September 5 by WebcamScammer2(1284 found)

Visited with WebcamScammer2. We saw our mugs on the webcam using WebcamScammer1's Iphone but we were unable to capture the image. We took a couple of snapshots that were sent by WebcamScammer1.

icon_camera.gif September 5 by WebcamScammer1 (764 found)

Out enjoying caching with buddies WebcamScammers2, 3 & 4. This was the first time in a long time to cache together. TFTC. It was a great day to be out caching.

Was not able to get Iphone to capture image off the web, so had to take pictures of the 4 of us at the site, hope this will be ok.

That old sense of entitlement. "I was there. My equipment didn't work. But, I'm going to claim the find anyway, even though I know that I did not meet the requirements."

The requirements are clearly stated. They knew that they did not meet them.

Apparently a plan to replace a cache is enough to log a smiley. We hunted one today, got home to see notes indicating it had been muggled along with the offending log...

July 18 by Fakefinder (210 found)

I enjoyed the trail. This is a great park. I'll replace plan on replacing this cache the next time I'm in the area. TFTH

June 28 by HonestHunter (320 found)

Only found a note from 2 girls saying they found this container on the ground.

June 21 by NotThere (55 found)

Only found note on ground

June 3 by Huh?2 (87 found)

Found the hide, there was a note.

June 3 by Huh?1 (539 found)

found the hide...found a note on the ground.

May 10 by LastHonestFinder (50 found)

Found it easier than the other one nearby!

September 24 by posted a note (50 found)

Found the tree, but way too short to even try climbing the thing. Might come back with a step stool or small ladder, but that's rather conspicuous. Stupid short legs!

:D September 20 by Honest cacher (19 found)

Fun find! Good thing I brought my teenage son along for the tree climbing part. SL.

:blink: September 19 by 9Key (3593 found)

This was a fun cache! Great name and hide! Certainly not your usual cemetery hide. The log was in good shape.

The previous "finder" didn't sign the log, and admitted it in his online log. Each to his own I guess....

Thanks for the fun!

9Key - Allen, TX

:o September 14 by Claiming find anyway (558 found)

Not after back surgery. You'll have to forgive my unwillingness to climb. Great views. Nice areas with no muggles in sight today. TFTC.

:D September 13 by Need help but found it (7 found)

Thanks for the great cache! The hardest part was getting onto that first branch. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't have had someone there to give me a boost. :(

One of the original caches ever set out. August 2000.

Cache owner removed the cache and posted a note saying so and why. (Good job Mr. Cache Owner!)

Archived in 2001 by "somebody". :D

Found in 2009? Why do I have my doubts??

Cache Logs

:) May 16 by Strange Cache Finder (168 found)

nice walk

June 17, 2001 by You Know Who (0 found)

Removed by owner. Will unarchive when cache has been relocated.

May 1, 2001 by Cache Owner (0 found)

I'm "Cache Owner". I set this cache. Today I REMOVED it. It will be reset at a different location soon. I removed it because it has already been visited by about 50 groups with over 100 people. I am very concerned with overuse of a single spot and the damage that these visits can do. I encourage other GPSers to take the same approach and move caches before damage is done. To all who visited, Thanks. I enjoyed all of your comments and am glad you had a good time in one of my favorite spots.

:P April 29, 2001 by Last Cache Finder (15 found)

It was a beautiful day, but boy does it get windy up here. Found the cache with no problems and it's in great shape. Took the hockey cards and left a mountain bike trail book.

Got a good laugh out of this one. A pretty new cacher in the area, numbers are climbing fast over the past couple months and with finds like this it's no wonder why!

August 17 by XXXXX(XX found)

Changed my thing to say found it since I know where it should be, but you can't get there due to all the construction.

August 16 by XXXXX (XX found)

I say it needs maintenance due to the area is all torn up and surrounded by a fence and should be relocated.

July 27 by cacher

Still unavailable to cachers - fencing/construction all around the cache site.

July 8 by cacher

The area surrounding the coords is blocked off by construction fencing and it torn up.

June 23 by cacher

1840 - We found this one easily. My 2 kids, age 7 and 9 and I are on an 11 state road trip to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier. Mom is meeting us to join us at the NPS parks. Glad we found this cache along the way. Thanks for hiding it.

June 23 by caher

Just thought I should let anyone who might go look for this one that the area directly around the cache is under construction and will be for the next year and a half. I dont know if the cache needs to be moved but they put up a tall barbed wire fence today and I dont know if you can even get to GZ anymore. The owner should go take a look around and possibly move/archive until the construction is over.

Can't find it, just replace it...oh yeah, the owner already replaced it 30 feet away...now there is two caches there :(

:) June 18 by XXXXXX (8472 found)

Late log. Found the reminents with XXXX. Accidently saw the B in the waypoint as an 8 (darn eyeballs anyway!), and sent a similar log to Florida! Found nothing but the twisted wire loop still hanging at ground zero and we replaced it, with fresh log and container. We are declaring a find, unless the owner objects. Thanks for the hunt, XXXXXXX

Had this "find" posted on one of my caches the other day:

"Log Date: 10/10/2009

Signed, thanks for the tour and this Cache !

(Fake Finder)"

"Fake Finder" then sent me this note:

"I believe this was missing, replaced Cache with a cyro tube and waterproof paper.

(Fake Finder)"

The cache is rated F=2.5 and was still where I had placed it. This one takes some looking and is hidden. He had just stuck a micro tube on a nearby sign post in order to claim a find. He apparently carries throw downs for just this purpose when he can't find a cache.

The "finder" has nearly 13000 finds. Wonder how many of his other 13000 finds were also throw downs.

He also tried logging another of my caches which is rated a D=3 that requires some figuring how to retrieve and return to its hiding spot. On the cache page I specifically state that the cache has to be replaced in its original position or the log will be deleted. That's part of what makes it a D=3. The same "fake finder" retrieved this cache but where he replaced it would have changed the Difficulty from a 3 to a 1. He couldn't follow instructions so his log was deleted.

Edited by Wadcutter

Had this "find" posted on one of my caches the other day:

"Log Date: 10/10/2009

Signed, thanks for the tour and this Cache !

(Fake Finder)"

"Fake Finder" then sent me this note:

"I believe this was missing, replaced Cache with a cyro tube and waterproof paper.

(Fake Finder)"

The cache is rated F=2.5 and was still where I had placed it. This one takes some looking and is hidden. He had just stuck a micro tube on a nearby sign post in order to claim a find. He apparently carries throw downs for just this purpose when he can't find a cache.

The "finder" has nearly 13000 finds. Wonder how many of his other 13000 finds were also throw downs.

He also tried logging another of my caches which is rated a D=3 that requires some figuring how to retrieve and return to its hiding spot. On the cache page I specifically state that the cache has to be replaced in its original position or the log will be deleted. That's part of what makes it a D=3. The same "fake finder" retrieved this cache but where he replaced it would have changed the Difficulty from a 3 to a 1. He couldn't follow instructions so his log was deleted.

I say go out to the cache location, collect your new cache container, delete the log.

In the future, if the person "finds" one of your caches, then check the logsheet. If YOUR logsheet is still there, without their sig, then delete their find.

Then, when your cache goes missing just replace it with the throwdown cache from any of the containers the throwdown cacher left behind.

(all said tongue in cheek)

I say go out to the cache location, collect your new cache container, delete the log.

That's what I did. I also sent the "fake finder" an email in return telling him my cache was still where I'd placed it, that he didn't find it, therefore the correct posting would be for him to post a DNF. He still hasn't posted a DNF. Looks like he'll post 13,000 finds, at least 1 of which is a confirmed throw down, but he doesn't enter his DNFs.

In the future, if the person "finds" one of your caches, then check the logsheet. If YOUR logsheet is still there, without their sig, then delete their find.

I trust everyone to do the right thing. But once they have shown they can't be trusted then you can bet I'll check all his logs from now on.