Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

If you can make your mark in the log book, such as etching your initials in the MUSH.

It is a find.

You've signed the log. But the idea, in the post above yours, that it's okay to claim a cache frozen in the ground can lead to the slippery slope. Yesterday I could touch a micro hidden in a fence next to the tennis courts at a park. But if I extracted the cache the muggle-tennis players would see it. So I could actually touch it but not sign the log.

Another local cacher went there two days earlier and apparently had the same problem. Only he claimed the find, even though he admitted in his report that he hadn't signed the log. I suppose in his mind the cache was frozen, not by ice, but by muggles.

You may say, Ah, but that's different, but is it really? Do we want to get into parsing the difference between frozen by nature and frozen by muggles? Or just say, If you can't sign the log you shouldn't claim the find.

Another popular caching site has a confirmation code option for their caches.

If the log was mush but you could read the CC it would be a find.

If you couldn't open the frozen container to read the CC it would not be a find.

The OP has asked that this thread be used for examples of questionable logging and not for debate. People who want to debate whether there should be a rule that signing the physical logbook is prerequisite for logging a "found it" online should take that discussion elsewhere.

Edited by tozainamboku
:unsure: January 5 by Missed It By That Much (90 found)

went with Found Sump'm 1 who had fund it before.. but traces were there not the log.

[view this log on a separate page]

:anibad: June 27, 2008 by Found Sump'm 2 (91 found)

nice p&g

weird spot.

:lol: June 26, 2008 by Found Sump'm 1 (112 found)

found with Found Sump'm 1

:unsure: May 19, 2008 by Finder B. Goode (2276 found)

Need new log and possible move to new spot?

:huh: May 19, 2008 by Finder B. Goode (2276 found)

Cache is in an...interesting spot....It's no wonder the log was nothing but pulp. May want to rethink the hiding spot or get a waterproof container!

"Traces were there?" Were they little outlines of where the log was supposed to be?

-eP

Italics are my emphasis ...

:) June 27, 2008 by Found Sump'm 2 (91 found)

only found the one piece of velcro...

:) June 26, 2008 by Found Sump'm 1 (112 found)

found with Found Sump'm 2

:) June 7, 2008 by No It Doesn't Count Either Time (2384 found)

#2259 @ 3:29 p.m.:

Does it count if I find the two pieces of velcro and attach my label? TN but a picture of the log, LN/TFT$™ ;-) MommieMogger on a solo geocaching and mostly Waymarking Florida's historical markers adventure

:) April 29, 2008 by The Velcro Is Multiplying (84 found)

Found location but only found two strips of velcro.

:) April 8, 2008 by Identified the Cause of the Great South Florida Velcro Shortage (102 found)

Found the spot but no cache, just velcro.

:yikes: April 5, 2008 by At Least He Logged a Needs Maintenance (59 found)

There was only velcro there was no log to sign.

:) April 5, 2008 by At Least He Logged a Needs Maintenance (59 found)

We found where it should (we think), but there was only a velcro strip.

:( March 13, 2008 by Yet Another Valid DNF (17 found)

Like the previous cacher this was a DNF. Did find two pennies in the search. Could it be gone?

:( February 23, 2008 by Another Valid DNF (3764 found)

After a great dinner with our friends, we said our good byes and continued our day of Florida caching, this being our last stop of the evening. All I found here was a lonely strip of velcro and no container? Seeing things and places your average visitor doesn't!

:( January 12, 2008 by Valid DNF (176 found)

2008-01-12 High foot traffic in the area when I was looking around for this one today.

Will have to come back another time. TFTC

:) November 24, 2007 by Was Told By Cache Owner That DNF = Found It (682 found)

This was my big attempt at 100 caches in 1 day! 12:00 am Nov. 23 until 11:07 pm Nov. 23. Here is the breakdown:

Gasoline - $140.80

Food - $63.16

Parking ticket - $18.00

Lanifel Poison Ivy Scrub - $40.00

Magnetic boxes to replace missing caches - $25.00

Paying off Homeless person to stay away from bush - $5.00

97 FOUND CACHES!!! - PRICELESS

I signed all logs 11-24-07 not knowing it was actually the 23rd. I found 97 but also had 20 DNF's. I skipped 21 because of them being so far or hard to get to. I was stopped by police 4 times, all after 2 am. I was confronted by a drug addict at one cache and was flirted with at another (if you know this park you will know why it was wierd for me). I replaced 5 caches for owners that were missing. I replaced 12 log books that were soaked and left another 6 that I could not replace. I received a MAJOR injury at this one cache that I have to go in to the hospital today for. I climbed at least 70 feet at one cache with no luck! I laid on the grass at another cache at 10:30 pm with the hopes of channeling indian spirits to lead me to the cache, again no luck! I hid 1 cache and performed maintainence on 2 of mine.

This cache - I found where it "was" but there was no cache. I will send a message to owner verifying and change to a DNF if I was wrong. I replaced cache and log with a new one in a slightly different spot, not magnetic or velcro.

Update to a Traditional cache that I will be visiting in April of 2009

It keeps on getting "found"

37 finds on an unfound cache

:yikes: December 19, 2008 by NotClose (80 found)

Unfortunately it was only possible for me to took the photo form the waterside. Too many armed guards stood around. Nevertheless I like the place very much and therefore thank your for the cache.

:( November 29, 2008 by Phoney (524 found)

#499:

No chance to be just one minute out of the sight of the guards. So we do as everyone did: took a photo.

Great location!

TFTC

:( November 17, 2008 by FindsTheSpot (144 found)

Armed guard let us down the stairs; but stood by while we took photos - did not let us out of his sight and shoo'ed us away as soon as someone else wanted to walk down the stairs...

Fantastic location!! Enjoyed my time here!! TFTC!!

Dipping a couple of TBs...

:( November 16, 2008 by AtGZ (280 found)

Naughty guards were all around us, so we couldn't find it.

But we'll tried. Under the first big rock there was nothing like a cache. I don't think it is stil there!!

Here's a Photo when we crossed bby the location on our ship back home.

:) November 5, 2008 by IchHabeNichtKeineCache (1041 found)

Wundervolle Tempelanlage, aber auch entsprechend viel Touristen!

Anfahrt zum Cache mit einem der zahlreichen Boote. Sollten die alle mal gleichzeitig in Betrieb sein, dann quillt die kleine Insel wirklich über!

Das Versteck ist von freundlichen, aber auch etwas aufdringlichen Soldaten gut bewacht! Keine Chance, dort unbeobachtet zu suchen, deshalb leider nur ein Photo.

Vielen Dank für den schönen Cache sagt:

:) November 5, 2008 by ShouldKnowBetter (379 found)

Same problem as with other logs - the route to the final location was blocked by a group of armed tourist police. I was, however, able to get to a location just above the site and 58ft from GZ - see photo with GPSr in. I have also added some more photos as evidence of our visit.

:) October 25, 2008 by TookPicture (267 found)

Well we had a big problem to get to the case beacause of guards and guide :-(

So at least, maybe photo will allow us to log this case :-(

***** like a moved temple is very beautifull and full of interesting things.

:) October 25, 2008 by MorePictures (416 found)

Greetings from ***** *********, USA. I think that the guards are on to us! I had the same troubles as the other folks, where they wouldn't let you search in the cache area. So hopefully a pic will do. And speaking of pics, when I tried to explain to them what I was doing and that I wanted a picture of the cache area, they interpreted that as taking *my* picture, so I ended up trading a couple of pics and a flower for a tip and them not putting me in temple jail. :) But the temple itself and the island were so beautiful, I certainly didn't mind. Thanks for a most excellent story to tell back home!

:) October 21, 2008 by LogItAnyway (351 found)

What a nice island and what a great view over the **** near ******!

The place there is great and the temple(s) are very interesting.

TFTC

greetings from ******

:) October 21, 2008 by PictureWorthA1000Words (302 found)

It´s a very nice place!

We search some minutes but we cant find the cache canister.

Also we make a picture from this place.

TFTC

greetings from ******

:) October 20, 2008 by GoneButTookASmile (2260 found)

the police men was very friendly and let me search some minutes but i cant find the cache canister. i think he is gone. after a while the police man said that i must go... ok i made a photo from the stone.

the place there is great and the temple(s) are very interesting.

THX for the cache!

:) October 12, 2008 by DidntFindTheCache (22 found)

Well we didn't actually find the cache, but we did visit the site for a long while. We returned at night for the Sound&Light show, the light show was amazing but the sound show was... entertaining.

:) October 11, 2008 by GZFinder (1672 found)

Most interesting place! We grabbed a few minutes on our own to search for the cache, but as soon as we got to the edge of the ruins police followed us closely. They didn't stop us from going near the cache, but they were never more than 10 feet from us. At first there was only one, then two, then three! Saw what looked like it might be a geopile by the rock, but of course couldn't investigate it, so my husband just took a picture of me by the rock. Thanks for placing this one, but it's unlikely to be actually found with so much security around. With all the amazing structures around it must have been puzzling to them to hear us discussing which rock to take a picture of! A fun hunt though!

:) October 9, 2008 by TakeMorePictures (344 found)

Like others I arrived here on a guided tour with an ******* whick did not allow me much time to go searching,

I also meet with the local Tourist police but found them friendly for a price (50 ) gainded full access to the site but was never alone long enough to do a full search, so I have uploaded pics takes like others have done.

We found the history of this temple asorbing.

tftc #301

:) October 8, 2008 by GotAPicture (964 found)

What a great story to go along with a very beautiful Temple. I am enjoying all we are hearing about the Gods and Godesses - it makes for a wonderful trip. We have taken pictures of us on the **** at the cache but as security is everywhere it was impossible to actually get to the cache. We had a security guard take this picture of us and then of course he asked for the traditional Bribe (or something like that).

:) October 6, 2008 by AlmostThere (86 found)

We were very close to the cache, but the police stopped us 11 meters upfront. From the boot we saw the cache location from a distance of 22 meters.

:) September 29, 2008 by WhatShouldWeDoForA1000 (144 found)

ONE HUNDRED

We wanted something special for our 100th and what better than caching while cruising down the ****. This Temple was really lovely, although the tourist police wouldnt let anyone near to the cache so took photo at a distance.

:) September 22, 2008 by NotHere (70 found)

Sorry my english is baddisch. I can´t to raise the cache because the tourist police has Stop me. The **** cruise was verry nice an the Life of the ****** is verry interesting. My Foto is enclosed. ***** from ****** - in the near of *****

Edited by FunnyNose

:lol: November 24, 2007 by Was Told By Cache Owner That DNF = Found It (682 found)

This was my big attempt at 100 caches in 1 day! 12:00 am Nov. 23 until 11:07 pm Nov. 23. Here is the breakdown:

Gasoline - $140.80

Food - $63.16

Parking ticket - $18.00

Lanifel Poison Ivy Scrub - $40.00

Magnetic boxes to replace missing caches - $25.00

Paying off Homeless person to stay away from bush - $5.00

97 FOUND CACHES!!! - PRICELESS

I signed all logs 11-24-07 not knowing it was actually the 23rd. I found 97 but also had 20 DNF's. I skipped 21 because of them being so far or hard to get to. I was stopped by police 4 times, all after 2 am. I was confronted by a drug addict at one cache and was flirted with at another (if you know this park you will know why it was wierd for me). I replaced 5 caches for owners that were missing. I replaced 12 log books that were soaked and left another 6 that I could not replace. I received a MAJOR injury at this one cache that I have to go in to the hospital today for. I climbed at least 70 feet at one cache with no luck! I laid on the grass at another cache at 10:30 pm with the hopes of channeling indian spirits to lead me to the cache, again no luck! I hid 1 cache and performed maintainence on 2 of mine.

This cache - I found where it "was" but there was no cache. I will send a message to owner verifying and change to a DNF if I was wrong. I replaced cache and log with a new one in a slightly different spot, not magnetic or velcro.

That is unbelieveable! Well, if they replaced 5 supposedly missing caches with keyholders, than it's only 92 finds. So now they really didn't make 100. :ph34r:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have to admit that I have not always played by the rules. I have let a kid take an extra swag item. Ok that really is the only rule I have broken on occasion. Believe me that most of the places that I trade, the cache is improved with my trade. That being said.

WTF

I recently logged a note because I seen the cache but I was not able to penetrate its impervious sealing mechanism (Ice froze it closed). A note is a great halfway log. It lets folks know not to be alarmed and believe the cache is missing but that you may have had troubles getting the log book.

My biggest complaint about the DVF found logs is this. When people log that they found it that prolongs the archival process. If I can show that the last "Find" was several months ago with a owner that is absent then the reviewer is more likely to archive it right now.

Those that are afraid of a DNF log are kicking the rest of us down the stairs.

I have to admit that I have not always played by the rules. I have let a kid take an extra swag item. Ok that really is the only rule I have broken on occasion. Believe me that most of the places that I trade, the cache is improved with my trade. That being said.

WTF

I recently logged a note because I seen the cache but I was not able to penetrate its impervious sealing mechanism (Ice froze it closed). A note is a great halfway log. It lets folks know not to be alarmed and believe the cache is missing but that you may have had troubles getting the log book.

My biggest complaint about the DVF found logs is this. When people log that they found it that prolongs the archival process. If I can show that the last "Find" was several months ago with a owner that is absent then the reviewer is more likely to archive it right now.

Those that are afraid of a DNF log are kicking the rest of us down the stairs.

:D November 24, 2007 by Was Told By Cache Owner That DNF = Found It (682 found)

That is unbelieveable! Well, if they replaced 5 supposedly missing caches with keyholders, than it's only 92 finds. So now they really didn't make 100. :D

This presumption has always astounded me. "I know I didn't find the cache. I'll force the cache owner to delete my fraudulent find." Oh, well. Such is the world these days.

:D November 24, 2007 by Was Told By Cache Owner That DNF = Found It (682 found)

That is unbelieveable! Well, if they replaced 5 supposedly missing caches with keyholders, than it's only 92 finds. So now they really didn't make 100. :D

This presumption has always astounded me. "I know I didn't find the cache. I'll force the cache owner to delete my fraudulent find." Oh, well. Such is the world these days.

Same here. But whoever that cacher is they think nothing of dropping a container that is supposedly missing and claiming a find on it. Both of those practices fall to the left on this nifty little chart:

logforce.jpg

Same here. But whoever that cacher is they think nothing of dropping a container that is supposedly missing and claiming a find on it. Both of those practices fall to the left on this nifty little chart:

logforce.jpg

CACHER: "Teach me about the geoforce, Yoda. I am not afraid."

YODA: "You will be!"

:D

A string of "finds" after my honest DNF...

:D November 2, 2008 by BooBear (456 found)

Looked and looked all around. No luck finding it.

:D November 2, 2008 by BooBear's honest friend (148 found)

Some how this just seemed oddly off to us. No luck finding it...

:P November 14, 2008 by What da huh? (1220 found)

WE got this one-. Replace it.. The 'ol one cant be got-. Thanks ~

:D November 14, 2008 by Um..duh? (176 found)

Help replace this one...

Followed by a couple actual finds, then the topper today:

:D January 22 by When in doubt, put your own out (3680 found)

Well, got this one after a fashion. The cache I saw was stucin in an area that I could not get it out.. even after 2 trips back to the truck for supplies and tools. While trying to get the cache, I got it into a position that it dropped out of sight. So the only way to get to it would be to cut the tree down, not an option. After the 3rd trip to the truck, I replaced the stuck cache with a match holder I had with me, so the cache can still live on.

To add to the fun of this hunt was the fact that I was doing it at 11 pm, in the cold and dark, and not trying to draw atttention to myself by drivers on the road.

Thanks for the cache and the new story.

Ever more velcro finds....... (and the amusing thing about this is that the cache is present, he found the red herrings)

icon_remove.gif January 25 by It'sNotThereButIWannaSmiley (63 found)

The cache is missing. Needs to be replaced. The velcro strap where it should be is there and so is the pen, but no cache.

icon_smile.gifJanuary 25 by It'sNotThereButIWannaSmiley (63 found)Well, I think that the last cacher may not have only stolen the idea, but stolen the cache! User and I found the cache location only to find a velcro'd pen, and an emply velcro strip with no cache attached. This one will have to be archived until fixed! TFTH tho!

I have the opposite situation. I have a find that I cannot bring myself to log, because I found it 4 years ago. It was a typical hide in a very secluded area of a beautiful park. I have clear memories of the container (very unique), and of some of the interesting things we found along the way, but not the exact location. We (me and 4 kids, including a baby in a carrier on my back) DNF'd it the first time out, and I logged that DNF. A month or so later we tried again and found it, but never logged it. Then we took a 3 year hiatus from geocaching for various reasons, and now that I've started geocaching again with gusto, I'd like to log it as a find but cannot bring myself to do so because my find was so long ago that it almost feels dishonest. I would go find it again and sign the logbook again except for the fact that I recall the terrain was hilly, the path is twisty and turny, the trees tower above, and it's not that close. I've considered emailing the cache owner to explain this situation but cannot bring myself to do that either because I don't want anyone to think this is a numbers thing for me (it's not).

I did go find another cache I'd found previously and hadn't logged, but only because it was close and easy, with easy terrain and a memorable spot that needed no real "searching". When I went to sign the log book I turned to the exact page of my previous log, which was written almost to the day, one year prior.

Yes, I'm a geocacher with a conscience!

I have the opposite situation. I have a find that I cannot bring myself to log, because I found it 4 years ago. It was a typical hide in a very secluded area of a beautiful park. I have clear memories of the container (very unique), and of some of the interesting things we found along the way, but not the exact location. We (me and 4 kids, including a baby in a carrier on my back) DNF'd it the first time out, and I logged that DNF. A month or so later we tried again and found it, but never logged it. Then we took a 3 year hiatus from geocaching for various reasons, and now that I've started geocaching again with gusto, I'd like to log it as a find but cannot bring myself to do so because my find was so long ago that it almost feels dishonest. I would go find it again and sign the logbook again except for the fact that I recall the terrain was hilly, the path is twisty and turny, the trees tower above, and it's not that close. I've considered emailing the cache owner to explain this situation but cannot bring myself to do that either because I don't want anyone to think this is a numbers thing for me (it's not).

I did go find another cache I'd found previously and hadn't logged, but only because it was close and easy, with easy terrain and a memorable spot that needed no real "searching". When I went to sign the log book I turned to the exact page of my previous log, which was written almost to the day, one year prior.

Yes, I'm a geocacher with a conscience!

You can back date the log to the actual date you found it. Nothing dishonest there...you found it, just took a little longer to log it online!

Kind of a double edged sword here. On Friday, I went out caching. In the morning, I found a multi cache and signed the log. The noticed last person who signed the log was 6 months previous. But between then and now, the cache page said that three other people had found it. I even noted this quote

"Took the kids and had an easy time with the first. As some of the others put it, coordinates took me to the middle of the path and we searched for about 45 minutes. Never did find. TFTC"

This was recorded as found.

But later in the day, I searched for a cache, and found the magnetic holder and base of the container. I "truly" did not find the cache because it was not there. I logged it as found because I found part of the container, then reported it as needs maintenance :) .

Oilman

<snip> found the magnetic holder and base of the container. I "truly" did not find the cache because it was not there. I logged it as found because I found part of the container, then reported it as needs maintenance :blink: .

Oilman

I think you missed the point of the thread. There are 32 pages of posts about people doing what you did: logging a find on a cache that is not there. :laughing:

I'm a relatively new cacher and already I've seen numerous instances of finds that are questionable. The ones that annoy me the most however are the ones that "find" a letterbox that's near a cache they couldn't find.

In my town, there is a letterbox and a cache about 40 ft from each other. The letterbox container has "Letterbox" written on it a few times, has its signature stamp inside, and contains a nice log filled with the stamps of other letterboxers.

Despite these features, even veteran geocachers with thousands of finds log this letterbox as the find. Here are a few from the log:

:yikes: January 3 by ******* (328 found)

If this was the cache, the coords were about 70 feet off from GZ. I think this may have been a letterbox. Not sure, I found both stamps and geocachers signing on this log. I see now that others may have had this confusion as well. Very nice memorial. Thanks for bringing us here. ***************************

:D November 4, 2008 by ************** (5002 found)

Found at 1345hrs. At least we think so. If it's not, what is the "Real McCoy??" Thanks for placing this cache for us to find.

:shocked: July 4, 2008 by *********** (786 found)

Not sure if this is the cache or not either- but there is no letterbox listed online for this location, so this must be it?? It wasn't near the coords, but close enough, I suppose.

------

I could post a dozen more from this and another cache I recently hunted that also has a nearby letterbox. To be fair to the community, there are plenty of logs from the one I quoted that are DNF and that also mention the letterbox.

Thank goodness there are some geocachers that are more interested in integrity than a number by their name.

PM

I found a cache that couldn't be opened, in Wis. it's winter and the container was rusted ( micro tin) shout with a hole in the side. People had the same problem with it and tried to pry it up. I marked it as a find, Why I found it yes I couldn't sign the log, but I found it. It's called found it not signed it but found it. Let the owner know about it and some other have too, but was never fixed.

I also found a micro and couldn't get the log out for 5 mins and toke a pic of it, told the owner what I did and if she needed a pic I would send it to her.

It's not a numbers thing it's a time thing for me. I can only get out so often for a short period of time and why should I not claim it so i don't have to come back. I rather take time to look for a new ones or a dnf than one s that was already found. It's not that where was tons of people around or I couldn't find it. I have found it and even toke pics of it. Just see people ripping on others for not signing it for what ever reason no log book, cache container wouldn't open, found the cache but was empty of contents and taking credit for it. Well I guess your better than half of us, and have more time to look for these caches.

AND if you didn't find it and said you did your a freaking MORON :yikes:

Got an email from a bud last week asking about my find on a particular cache of his, could I remember what kind of container it was- he went on to explain that the cache in question had been posted for maintenance. When he got to GZ to check not only was the cache in great shape, it hadn't been physically logged in almost 10 months! And we (and about 24 other cachers) had logged online finds in that same time frame.

Yup, someone had replaced the cache, either with the "I can't find it so it must be gone I'll just leave this crappy film can and extra log here in it's place" mindset, or just to be able to log a find (in their own minds). Or whatever. Need less to say the cache owner was STEAMED. :)

Worse thing about it was the container was very cool and hard to spot, and having a crappy little film can - hidden behind a single rock no less - masquerading as their hide just put more fuel to the fire. He did find the ersatz cache the next morning. And I've put the cache back on my to do list (and will be "up-dating" our find log as a result)!

I don't understand why people would feel the need to cheat in a game they are basically playing with themselves, for the most part. Logging false finds seems so pointless and at the end of the day does it really matter if they found or not? well, it might make them feel better for some strange reason, but it just adds confusion for seekers/hiders, especially if the cache was muggled or something. I'm really surprised by the nerve of some people.

Edited by TheSkunkyHobos

Maybe instead of putting a lock on the cache - GC could figure out a way to give your cache a code that you put at the top of the log inside your cache that users have to input into the site to be able to log as "found"? That way they wouldn't even have the ability to log non-found items as found. They would HAVE to find it. Just an idea...

Maybe instead of putting a lock on the cache - GC could figure out a way to give your cache a code that you put at the top of the log inside your cache that users have to input into the site to be able to log as "found"? That way they wouldn't even have the ability to log non-found items as found. They would HAVE to find it. Just an idea...

That actually has been brought up before and I like the idea. Some people have placed a cryptic code on their cache (in the past) and a person had to send that via email to the owners. For some reason, I thought that they didn't allow that anymore. :rolleyes:

That actually has been brought up before and I like the idea. Some people have placed a cryptic code on their cache (in the past) and a person had to send that via email to the owners. For some reason, I thought that they didn't allow that anymore. :rolleyes:

If the site did it, you wouldn't have to depend on other people to check their email - it would be like a password - you have to have the password to log a find. Oh well. I'm a newby - haven't had a problem with this yet - I ordered some caches and will be placing them sometime this week. :lol:

That actually has been brought up before and I like the idea. Some people have placed a cryptic code on their cache (in the past) and a person had to send that via email to the owners. For some reason, I thought that they didn't allow that anymore. :lol:

If the site did it, you wouldn't have to depend on other people to check their email - it would be like a password - you have to have the password to log a find. Oh well. I'm a newby - haven't had a problem with this yet - I ordered some caches and will be placing them sometime this week. :lol:

hmmm~You know with that in mind, why couldn't a person write a TB or geocoin number, say on the lid, and impose an ALR (additional logging requirement) saying that when logging the cache, you must also discover the coin/tb number on the cache. (Do not place the actual coin/tb in the cache) Log the cache and discover the number wouldn't be a cure all for those who would ask a "friend" for the number.

<The above is just an "out loud" thought> :rolleyes:

That actually has been brought up before and I like the idea. Some people have placed a cryptic code on their cache (in the past) and a person had to send that via email to the owners. For some reason, I thought that they didn't allow that anymore. :lol:

hmmm~You know with that in mind, why couldn't a person write a TB or geocoin number, say on the lid, and impose an ALR (additional logging requirement) saying that when logging the cache, you must also discover the coin/tb number on the cache. (Do not place the actual coin/tb in the cache) Log the cache and discover the number wouldn't be a cure all for those who would ask a "friend" for the number.

<The above is just an "out loud" thought> :rolleyes:

IMO if its that dadgum important to 'em, let'em have it. lol. :lol:

Been a while since I contributed to this thread.

This sounds like a great cache. The cache logger, not so much.

IPB Image October 18, 2008 by cacher (6292 found)

1:00 pm - After removing the tree frog from the available bucket, I sent my protege down to the river to fetch a pale of water. We were excited to close the chapter on a type of cache I rarely do. Thanks for the fun! (Ohhh, not so fast my friend. I wrote this first part waiting for the water to come up the hill.)

Where's the cache. It's not floating as expected. [My friend] took a stick to knock it loose but discovered about six inches of 'debris' at the bottom. Hmmm, maybe we could dig it out. The first few attempts yielded some leaves. Afterwards clumps of hair/fur started to come out. Hey, this stuff is starting to SMELL.

Ewww that smell! All of a sudden I'm starting to sing Lynard Skynard! Can't you smell that smell .... Something died in there! It's blocking access to the cache. I continued after [my friend] suggested otherwise. Naaa, we need the log! Well, after pulling up some small bones and growing nauseous from the pervasive odor engulfing the entire area I surrendered.

This cache needs some serious mx. That smell followed us to the car. The hand sanitizer only masked it. Even after washing several times with soap and water at the nearby gas station the smell was there. I did manage to reduce it to the point where my caching hat has smelled worse.

Hey [friend], smell my finger!

Thanks for the cache. Yes I'm calling this a find. If [cache owner] wishes otherwise I will change it to a DNF. This is my third day of introducing a co-worker [my friend] to the wide variety of caches available. Nothing today stood out quite like this cache, certainly 1 in 5,400! We tried to grab this during our layover in MSY. Please allow [my friend] some time to log his caches. It's new to him AND he still has dial-up IPB Image.

Again, I find it amusing when people admit that they know it shouldn't be a find, but do it anyway...6200 finds. Yeah.

Jamie

September 22, 2008 by Double Dipper (349 found)

FOUND THIS ONE W/ NO PROBLEM. ENJOYED THE RIDE UP THERE. TFTC.

[view this log]

NICE CACHE. NO MUGGLERS AROUND THIS ONE.TFTC.

[view this log]

I emailed this cacher in case it was a mistake. No reply and he's been on line since. Very Sad.

[view this log]

[view this log]

I emailed this cacher in case it was a mistake. No reply and he's been on line since. Very Sad.

What was the mistake? Misspelling "muggles"? Typing in all caps? :)

[view this log]

[view this log]

I think it was that he logged the same cache twice on the same day.

[view this log]

[view this log]

Ah! I see! I usually delete duplicate logs.

[view this log]

[view this log]

What was the mistake? Misspelling "muggles"? Typing in all caps? :ph34r:

Maybe he has 2 GPSR's and he used each one on separate trips. That works, doesn't it? :)

[view this log]

[view this log]

What was the mistake? Misspelling "muggles"? Typing in all caps? :ph34r:

Maybe he has 2 GPSR's and he used each one on separate trips. That works, doesn't it? :)

LOL - 'Double Dipper' the name says it all - no mistake on 2 logs.

We'll be heading to another country for a vacation soon. There are not very many caches in this country and only three of them were hidden by a resident (inactive) of the country. The status of most of the caches is, shall we say, ambiguous.

---

Easiest cache for most people to get to, but disabled since February 6, 2007. The owners responded when contacted and said have fun looking, but they have no plans to return to the country anytime soon.

:lol: January 27 by FoundWhatsThere (147 found)

In town for work (visiting from [removed]), I was determined to find at least one cache... and this is pretty much the only one that looked possible.

Indeed, I could not see any bamboo near the original coords. (I was also pointed towards the street). But I found the replacement exactly where TheMostRecentReplacer explained. Container and hiding spot are in perfect conditions. Thanks so much for replacing this cache and making it possible for me to log a find in [removed]!!!!

TNLNSL

:wub: September 19, 2008 by TheMostRecentReplacer (8171 found)

[new coordinates deleted]

Im afraid the cache has been lost. For one thing ground zero had me on the street about 120 feet from the blue bench. I also found the referenced aquaduct, but I caught no sight of bamboo the area. There is construction going on and a worker said they are planting a hedge along the aquaduct. I asked if there was bamboo here and he said a long time ago.

I took a stroll around this neat little park; I made two loops on top and several on the lower trail. The top trail had lots of walkers, but the lower trail had none. Connecting the upper and lower trails are several narrow walkways/paths. On one of these connecting paths, at the posted coordinates above, is where I placed a temporary container, right inside some bamboo covered by thick husks.

icon_disabled.gif February 6, 2007 by AbsentOwner (10 found)

This cache is obviously washed away or found and disabled by a non-geocacher. The view from the park is worth going to anyway. AbsentOwner.

:wub: October 29, 2005 by ReplaceAndLog (606 found)

I was here in last June and didn't find the cache, definitively lost. I decided to replace it, since it is a nice place and the sole cache in [removed], I wanted to contact the owners but it seems that they are non more active since 2004, so I have placed a new cache in the same spot, the new cache is a plastic sealed bag in a plastic transparent envelope, it contains a pen, the logbook and 1 Euro coin. I hope you'll enjoy! ReplaceAndLog from [removed].

:) July 23, 2004 by ClaimItAnyway (334 found)

I traveled here with a [removed] Bug and [removed] travel Bugs during the [removed] reunion. I entered the coordinates twice, re-initialized but I kept on coming up across the street from the park! Arg....As I did not have the clues. I gave up. It will be another 5 years before I get another chance....Oh well, that is the fun of the hunt! Thanks for the hide.

This entry was edited by ClaimItAnyway on Saturday, January 07, 2006.

Another cache and a FTF.

:laughing: January 19 by CloseEnoughForMe (32 found)

Got close but not close enough. Nevertheless drooped and grabbed TB [removed]

Another cache. Didn't find it, but left a new one and claimed a find anyway (a FTF). The owner seems OK with it.

icon_note.gif February 1 by VacationPlacers

Hello!

We would like to thank LogMyOwnReplacements for replacing our caches which he was unable to find in [removed]. We have been unable to contact our friend for several months to verify if the caches are still operation.

Thank you again LogMyOwnReplacements!

:D January 23 by LogMyOwnReplacements (1257 found)

What's appenig with the caches in [removed] ?? An other missing cache... I look every where in the tree. As the others, I did the maintenance. (if the owner don't agree with this, just delete my log) But be aware that you are on PRIVATE PROPRIETY and we are not suppose to be there. We were expule 2 times by gards that did not like me looking everywhere. The only way we find to have acces to this cache is by the beach at low tide. At low tide, you can go by the bid house on the beach, when you did continue you will see à small river. Next to it, there's a walkway that will leed you to the tree

Another cache. Spotted it, maybe, but couldn't retrieve whatever it was. Oh well, let's log it.

:D February 2 by MaybeIActuallyFoundIt? (75 found)

thank you for the cache !!

:D January 20 by LogMyOwnReplacements (1257 found)

My first find in [removed]. But I wasn't able to remove the cache from the tree. Took picture to prove my find

And another replaced and logged.

icon_note.gif February 1 by VacationPlacers (410 found)

Hello!

We would like to thank LogMyOwnReplacements for replacing our caches which he was unable to find in [removed]. We have been unable to contact our friend for several months to verify if the caches are still operation.

:D January 22 by LogMyOwnReplacements (1257 found)

I don't know what to say... just that this cache (has the others) was missing. The fence tree was easily find but no cache. So here again, I decide to replace the container. Hope the owner won't mind me doing the maintenance. If so, just delete my log.

We had a great time at [removed] Beach. I was able to try waveboard, has the wave a very big here.

Gotta keep logging my replacements.

:D March 2 by Trespassing is Fun (394 found)

Went in the hard way (it's a beach club of sorts) but was able to find without a problem. Most of the muggles were standing in the water and too far away to see what we were doing. TFTC

:D February 2 by FoundIt (75 found)

thank you for the cache

icon_note.gif February 1 by VacationPlacers (410 found)

Hello!

:D January 22 by LogMyOwnReplacements (1257 found)

First I must say that we didn't find the cache. We try 3 times (it was a short walk from the [removed] Hotel). So we decide to to do maintenance. We took another bottle of shampoo and a roll of paper and we put it in place in the wall. Hope the owner won't be upset. If so, you just have to delete my find.

icon_sad.gif January 18 by HonestCacher (32 found)

Spent some time looking for it. Alas, I fear it has gone.

icon_note.gif May 26, 2008 by PersistentLookers (1903 found)

Spent another hour on this one today, Will try again this week. I leave on Friday so I still have a few more days.

icon_sad.gif May 24, 2008 by PersistentLookers (1903 found)

Spent about two hours looking for this one. the tides were out. Saw several crabs and other sea life, but no cache. I fear it may have floated away. Great spot for a cache. I will be here a couple of more days, I can put a new one out.

i have claimed a find in only one type of case: when i have been to GZ and searched long and hard. found nothing. went back and reported such, and then the owner disabled saying it was not there, and would be permanently archived. therefore, it would never be put back. i feel that rather than log this as a complete wastge of my time, i shouldbe honored for making the effort at something that used to be there, but through no fault of my own was missing, and then never would be put back. if it gets put back, i always go back and find it for real.

You were "honored". You posted that you couldn't find the cache which gave the CO some hint that maybe something was amiss. Isn't that "honor" enough?

You didn't want to "waste" your time? What if you'd looked for 30 minutes, didn't find it, but it was there? You still would have "wasted" your time. Do you want compensated somehow for that 30 minutes too?

Point being, you didn't find it.

Edited by Wadcutter

i have claimed a find in only one type of case: when i have been to GZ and searched long and hard. found nothing. went back and reported such, and then the owner disabled saying it was not there, and would be permanently archived. therefore, it would never be put back. i feel that rather than log this as a complete wastge of my time, i shouldbe honored for making the effort at something that used to be there, but through no fault of my own was missing, and then never would be put back. if it gets put back, i always go back and find it for real.

There is no honor in telling a lie.

I have also seen instances where the cache owner gave "permission" for geocachers to claim a find on missing caches they looked for unsuccessfully. Nonetheless, this is the same thing. Neither you nor they found anything, but are claiming your smiley by saying you "found it". Play the game your way, I'll play it my way.

But without a smiley they feel like such a failure, other kids will make fun of them, and their self-esteem will suffer to the point they will no longer be successful in life. And isn't that what it's all about these days - making sure everyone feels like a winner and there are no losers, and everyone gets a pat on the head.

;)

I have to add one I received on an old cache:

Log Date: 2/20/2008

I am logging as a find even though I refused to climb up to retrieve it to sign log. I want to live to cache another day.Thanks for the fun find!

If you parked at the top of the hill, it was a short walk down to the cache. No danger involved . . .

April 25 by *************

last of 5 on my harbor walk. I have a few of these type ready for me to place somewhere in Oregon. No pen so no signature. Thanks for the nice walk.

April 24 by *************

Found the black container and realized that I had no pen. So no signature. But a nice place to stop.

Two days in a row without a pen :lol: ? These are not finds in our book!

Edited by Arse&Hemi
May 3 by should know better (795 found)

After much searching we contacted the owner with the location of the cache and owner checked on this and indeed it had been muggles. With owners permission, we are logging this as a find as we located the bird house and knew that this was the cache location.

This certainly has the possibility of making my LPC finds a lot quicker. If I'm driving by and the GPS points to a LP in the parking lot, I guess I have the find.