Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:P October 1 by XXXXXXXXX (405 found)

lovin cemetary caches. did not have time to walk around & check it out, definetly next time. found headless part & could see cache cont way down there not within reach, unless you have a tool to retreieve. thanks for bringin me out here.

:D July 27 by xxxxxxx (39 found)

Found camo tape and what appeared to be a hook, but no actual cache.

icon_sad.gifOctober 6 by HonestJoe (6499 found)

Didn't find the cache so it's a DNF for me.

icon_sad.gifOctober 1 by MoreHonestFolks(3594 found)

We located what seemed the likely hiding spot but only that. No container, no log. The GPSr indicated the thing has migrated about 50 feet west from where it should be. Thanks for the hide, we did enjoy the ripe blackberries.

icon_sad.gifSeptember 28 by JohnnyIsHonest(1793 found)

My coords brought over to some high grass and long barb wire fence... I will be back!

:D September 26 by Cheater (211 found)

found the right spot but no log to sign tfth

:blink: September 21 by FoundTheSpot(397 found)

There is no log container in the hiding spot needs to be replaced. No log to sign.

icon_needsmaint.gifSeptember 21 by It'sNotThere (168 found)

found the site, and where the log should be, but no long.

Needs some maintenance.

:o August 15 by the cheaters (221 found)

Just like the last ones, found the spot but no log...

The cheaters

:( August 12 by CAPSLOCKBOI(248 found)

Found the big log with the spot for the little log. NEEDS A NEW LOG!!!

:D July 12 by I'llLogItAsAFound (220 found)

Found this cache but no log where it was suppose to be. Wonder if the owner knows about the missing log.

:D July 6 by Cheater (233 found)

thanks for the cache skippy v see the other cheaters log

:D July 6 by OtherCheater (6834 found)

we found the log with the hole in it but there was no container.

icon_sad.gif July 5 by AnotherHonestAbe (1058 found)

I'm logging a couple of days late.

I found what I thought was the spot(it definitely looked like it was made for a cache). I was waiting for someone that was sitting in their car to leave. Maybe they were waiting for me to leave and they had it in their car? I'll try it another time.

:D June 4 by WowThisFun(30 found)

Wish I would have read the log before we went to this one. We found it, but only where it appears it "used" to be.

Apparently owner has already been notified.

icon_sad.gif May 30 by HonestyIsGood (3161 found)

Found something out of place that could have been a cache holder, but the cache was not found. Will email owner.

:D May 28 by TeachingTheKidsToCheat(65 found)

Out caching with ******* without the boys!!!! What a fun day. TFTH!!

icon_sad.gifMay 18 by HonestBob (7287 found)

We think we found the hide, but it was empty.

:D May 5 by LastToFind (89 found)

Found

:huh: September 14 by Brain (xxxx found)

Used Seekers eyes to do this one.

Cheers

:P September 14 by Seeker (xxxxx found)

Brain did the heavy work on this one. SL. Thanks!

(Brain and Seeker are a puzzle caching 'team')

(1) The out-of-state cacher (Brain) solves the puzzle.

(2) The in-state cacher (Seeker) finds the cache. (by himself)

(3) Both get a B) !!!

icon_smile.gif September 14 by FindsTheSpot (665 found)

Hi CO We hate to tell you what you already know.... your cache is MIA. We were out caching and went right to the spot( geo senses said to go) and no cache. the cords then said to look futher but we knew it was in in the first site. Sorry 'bout the cache. Don't understand why a non-player would spoil the game.

icon_smile.gif September 14 by MoreSpotFinding(1869 found)

We were out caching with FindsTheSpot and found it missing ....

icon_smile.gif September 1 by GZfinder3 (25 found)

We were told that the cache is gone. This was a fun marina!

icon_smile.gifAugust 30 by GZfinder (519 found)

Visiting for the weekend with cc & n, having a great time discovering your area. We were looking around GZ when a gentleman came out to us and said it was gone, missing for about a month. We are posting a picture of us, Great place for a cache, hope you replace it.

icon_smile.gifAugust 30 by GZfinder2 (213 found)

I am one of the sad ones that found the location, but was told it had been gone for about a month. Hope to get credit for it.

:laughing: October 15 by Newcacher(10 found)

I guess I did find it - since I hid it!

[view this log on a separate page]

Note: October 15 by Newcacher (10 found)

I am launching a travel coin in my very first placed cache.

Published: October 14 by publisher

Published

This one cracks me up. I guess I cannot be FTF because the cache owner already beat me to it.

icon_smile.gif September 3 by Out-of-state cachers(5023 found)

It took us awhile to locate this area and find the right spot to park at. We loved the hike to the cache site and enjoyed the three stones there. We searched the most likely place this cache could be in and it was not there.

We are claiming this cache

OK, pretty standard stuff. In fact I posted this above. But then they get called on it.

icon_note.gif November 1 by Truth Teller (560 found)

We thought we would send you this message concerning your hide. Not to be a complainer, but, some cacher claimed this cache without finding it. Our number of finds would be much greater if we claimed our DNF's.

To which they reply

icon_note.gif November 2 by Out-of-state cachers (5023 found)

WE DO NOT CLAIM OUR DNF FINDS

Hey, good news. I check down to see if they changed their "find" to a DNF, or at least a note...but, of course not, instead they continued in their note...

WE DID ON THIS ONE BECAUSE OF THE TIME WE SPENT GETTING TO THIS LOCATION AND WE HAVE NEVER RECEIVED A MESSAGE BACK FROM THE OWNER.

So, you don't claim DNFs as Finds...except when you do?

Edited by beejay&esskay

icon_smile.gif October 18 by Found Something (209 found)

#196 - Like everyone else at the Fall Foliage Event, we were trying to figure out the story with this one. I very quickly caught on to where the hide should have been, even if my very first guess was wrong as to which of the possible precise locations it could be. When we looked at the next location of a similar type, we were all pretty convinced we had found it. It took some work by "other cachers" to work the remains of the cache free, and when we did so - we didn't quite know what to make of it. Some other cachers" who had both found this before said we were right on the money, but instead of the cache we found the cap to a cache and some rotted wooden stick with no log. Seeing as how we were in the right spot, and found other evidence of the cache's previous existence, including what looked to be its retrieval mechanism, it was determined that we had found sufficient evidence to mark this as a find. I left a fingerprint on the remains to prove I was here. My guess is it looks like the Park Service had done some recent maintance and accidentally killed the cache or didn't know what to make of it.

After reading this thread, its obvious we've been doing this all wrong.

So I've gone through our list of 16 unresolved DNFs and decided we can claim the following as finds:

3 - The caches weren't there when we searched, and the owners have since archived/disabled the caches. We would have found them if they were there.

1 - The cache is hidden in juniper. I HATE juniper and should not be forced to search there.

1 - Seems to be there one day and gone the next, then back again. I think it is similar to the following...

1 - This one has 147 finds and two DNFs. The other DNF is by a very experienced local cacher. It's obvious Vinny must be playing with the local space-time continuum and causing this cache and the previous one to blink in and out of existence.

1 - This cache is a three-hour drive from home, then 20 miles down bumpy forest service roads. We found every other cache on this trip, so we obviously would have found this one had we reached GZ. Should a few hundred sheep blocking the road be allowed to deprive US of a smilie? I think not!

1 - We ran out of daylight, and it didn't have a Needs Flashlight attribute, so this one should count, right?

0 - I was going to add an evil micro in the woods that hasn't been found in well over a year, but just noticed someone found it two days ago. D#$%, now we have to go find it.

So, by the practices documented in this thread, I can justify changing 50% of our unresolved DNFs into smilies.

But, since we didn't actually FIND them, I guess I'll leave them as DNFs.

I have 3 Finds were I didn't sign the logbook, but all 3 of them were actually found, but damaged (all in the same park). One was very damaged, so I took it out and reunited it with the owner, one of the others was missing everything, it was just an empty damaged container (took a pic and logged a needs maint note), and the other was the first of a multi, hidden inside a blackberry bush, but the paper with the coords was wet and unreadable. but I suffered for that one, and have a pic of the damaged paper to show the find. If he'll give me the coords, I'd be more than happy to find the rest.

Here's a fun one I saw near home.

July 5 by [Team JustPassingThrough] (247 found)

Wasted a lot of time looking for this one, finally gave up and as I suspected... ARCHIVED.... Well, I knew right where it should have been anyway... Marking as found just for the fact that I'm not coming back to [ThisCity] for some time and the time invested looking....

This cache was last found on November 23rd 2007, 7 months before this log. AND 9 other people logged notes, maintenance requests, or DNF's before JustPassingThrough claimed a find two weeks after Groundspeak archived the cache.

More fun...

:unsure: October 5 by RustyChalkCountsToo (338 found)

Came across the container today while looking for another cache. I think the cache got ruined due to rust not muggles. Bottom of container was rusted away.

:D August 12 by YesChalkCounts (247 found)

Found today while cleaning up one I had nearby. Only thing left was a rusty poker chip and one piece of chipped water damaged chalk. Removed it since it was more junk than chip or chalk. Searched for this one several times before and never quite nailed it down. Guess I finally found it. Better late than never.

July 10 by Groundspeak (0 found)

It appears this cache is no longer around, and unfortunately neither is the owner. Therefore I am archiving this cache listing.

:P July 2 by CalkCountsRight (860 found)

Unfortunately, this cache is in trouble. I'm logging as found, but all I found were some big pieces of side walk chalk, a match box car, a geocacher's poker chip, and some other odds 'n ends splayed around the site.

:) May 28, 2007 by HonestCacher (878 found)

Missed it the first time and I tried to find it last year. Must have been due to the poison ivy. I got into it last year and had to clean off in the faucet across the way. Less poison ivy this year at this time so we finally found part 1. Part 2 was easier. Thanks for the hide.

:PNovember 2 by StillMissing(394 found)

Found the hiding place at 06h44 with my wife, **********.

Unfortunately, the cache itself is missing, but with the approbation of the owner I mark this cache as found.

Too bad it's gone, because it's a nice hiding place and it's a welcome break from our trip (from ****** back to ********, in the northern ******).

TFTC

icon_sad.gifOctober 24 by Me (6669 found)

Humm found the hidey hole and claim a find.. Not this bird. Will get it next time I'm in *****

icon_sad.gifOctober 24 by MySister (717 found)

Did not find it! Found hiddy hole but not the log THEREFORE I did not find it.

:)October 19 by FauxChercheur(1139 found)

Trouvé lors d'un voyage d'affaire vers ********. Mais malheureusement le log est disparue. The log is missing.

:laughing:October 13 by FoundTheHole(292 found)

after contacting the owner i found out i did in fact find the cache but the log was missing

:laughing: October 13 by GotSomething(131 found)

Got it!

icon_sad.gifOctober 12 by HonestCacher(292 found)

I think I know where it is supposed to be but...

:laughing:September 29 by HonestCacher(2162 found)

Was all set to leave a replacement this time, but there it was.

thanks.

Just received this log on one of my caches. I have had caches replaced by well-meaning cachers when they were positive that the cache was missing. I have had caches replaced by well-meaning cachers when they thought that the cache was missing. This is the first time that I have had a cache replaced when the well-meaning cacher was positive that it was still there!!!

:D Found it XXXXXXXXX found XXXXXXXXX (Traditional Cache)

The cache container IS still there. HOWEVER, while I could FEEL it, I could not RETRIEVE it. It was too far back in...wherever it was. LOTS of contortions (I didn't even know I could do).

*I relented and I PLACED A NEW container(35mm film canister) with a log in it in the same spot, and signed IT.*

Got it right the first time, then changed mind and logged two finds on a hook.

icon_note.gif October 3 by HonestGuy (54 found)

Found the "hook" this morning too

Looks like the Oktoberfest sprucing up got the better of this micro.

:D October 1 by PhoneyBaloney (167 found)

Well going back to only finding the hook we will take a smiley now. Thanks

icon_disabled.gif September 8 by CacheOwner (1382 found)

Gotta check on it.

icon_note.gif September 8 by IntegriTee (156 found)

Found the "hook", if micro was hanging it's now gone, recent landscaping in area.

:) September 1 by PhoneyBaloney (167 found)

Taking the smiley as we saw the hook too. Thanks for checking back.

icon_sad.gif September 1 by PhoneyBaloney (167 found)

Visiting from SC for he weekend and always enjoy Helen, GA. We approached the cache are and noticed a couple snooping around and guessed they were looking for the same thing as we were. They had been looking for 30 minutes and gave up and we continued until we saw and empty hook and lots of trees trimmed and wood chips all around. Alas no find. But is always fun to look and enjoyed the day.

September 12, 2007 by rrrrrrrr (45 found)

I've done this cache before as a muggle with vvvvvvvvvv but it doesn't really count doing it as a muggle so I found it again!

Also he has gone around to a lot of local caches taking out vvvvvvvvvvv's badges, and replacing with free fridge magnets......

"TSGLSS" Took something good, left something s***

Edited by sillybgoat

I've done this cache before as a muggle with vvvvvvvvvv but it doesn't really count doing it as a muggle so I found it again!

That one happens all the time, and sees pretty legit. At least he went out and found it again. A lot of people just back date their logs when they create an account, which still is reasonable, but he went one step beyond!

That one happens all the time, and sees pretty legit. At least he went out and found it again. A lot of people just back date their logs when they create an account, which still is reasonable, but he went one step beyond!

Good for him! :D:D:P His honesty is indeed refreashing!

Cache owner placed a 3-stage multi with bad coordinates. Most are claiming finds for only getting to stage two :D

:D April 27 by cacher D (407 found)

Like all the rest I found stages 1 and 2 without trouble!

:P April 12 by cacher C (147 found)

Great hide in our neighborhood park. Thanks! We found 2 out of 3.

The coordinates for #1 placed us in the middle of the lawn, but the clue helped us find it.

Cache #2 is on private property, but we took a chance and found it.

Cache #3 was not found. We looked long and hard with no luck. The tree covering made our GPS go a little crazy. So, #3 has yet to be found!

:P April 2 by cacher B (1916 found)

Ok, well being that credit is given for finding the second stage...Im callin it a find.

Found the first stage in an out of the way pocket park. Not sure about it, my cords too put me in the middle of the grass, but the hint gave me direction. The second stage I found easy, but really not sure if I should have been there. I do think this too is private property...sorry but I do. The third stage was a no go for me. I used the hint to every thing in the area and 80 feet out.

So if you wish this to be edited to a DNF I will do so, but going to call it good.

:) March 28 by cacher A (1995 found)

Going to make a first to find on second stage As owner said to sign log. third stage is up for grabs, I guess. I get no replys from email to him cacher A.

[DNF] March 20 by cacher A (1995 found)

first stage was soso second stage was easy third stage I was still looking when I finely gave up cacher A.

Edited by Ed & Julie

Dude logs a sticker.

:mad: December 7 by NOTTHERE (202 found)

(177) Logging this as a find, but it wasn't there <_<

In it's position, there is a yellow sticker (see picture) that says:

WARNING

The geocache placed at this location is in direct violation of A.R.S. 13-1603 and as such, has been removed and properly disposed of. Continued violation may result in further action by local and/or state authorities.

icon_needsmaint.gif December 2 by Three Tries (45 found)

I'd love to find the rest,I'll watch for new coordinates.

icon_smile.gif December 2 by Three Tries (45 found)

only first part. I am very happy about that. It is very wet ,unable to read it. needs a little rain coat.lol. I signed a paper and put it in a water proof wrap. TFTC...

icon_sad.gif October 20 by Three Tries (45 found)

This was my second try.I am putting the coordinates in manually.Three times.It says I'm 13 km away.The map on my gps seems to show it in calais.I went up steam anway.great place.tftc.I'll get it yet.

No! You get the smiley for the final. Not for each stage.

Saw this one on a cache today that requires some nimble climbing. Lots of reports from parents about the fun their kids had getting to the cache or about teasing family members up to the cache and giggling at them on the way down. Then this one:

icon_smile.gifMay 9 by Don'tMakeMeWork (318 found)

I made eye contact with it, and that's good enough for me.

;) "Eye contact".

Edited by Jackalgirl

Just checking to make sure this is ok, given the angry replies in this thread:

I have just started geocaching. My account is named albanysquad. As the name implies, it is a mulit-person account. At least 6 people are in our geocaching group, and hopefully we will be able to bring more people along. So far, we haven't all found all of the caches listed as found by albanysquad because some of them were found by only some of us, others we searched for together but didn't find until just two of use went back later, etc. We don't care for "geocacher cred" of finding the most caches; we don't care about numbers. We just want to have fun geocaching with each other and sometimes "each other" won't mean all of us at once.

Going to add: we won't be like anyone in these stories; we won't write that we found a cache unless we actually found it. The thrill is of finding the cache and signing your name. We would know that if we didn't find it to go back again to clinch the deal. Finding a cache on your second or third trip after searching for a long time is perhaps more fun than finding it on the first time after 5 minutes!

I don't think there is a lot of anger here. You'd probably find a lot more of <_< than :) .

And since you aren't logging "not found" as finds, you aren't going to show up in this thread.

(If you really cared, you might start another thread to discuss your issue. I know a number of years ago a team name like yours was questioned when finds on the same day were logged on caches quite a distance apart. I didn't help that many of the "finds" did not have a signature on the cache log.)

A "lid" find: :ph34r:

November 16, 08 by "Throwdown cacher" (225 found)

Ran a PQ yesterday, so when I seen it on the GPSR,figured it was set to seek out. Went for it, and found the lid!, So from GZ, I flip open the cell pull up the listing, see it is already disabled, guess I should of checked first.

TFTH, enjoyed the area all the same.

A "lid" find: :ph34r:

November 16, 08 by "Throwdown cacher" (225 found)

Ran a PQ yesterday, so when I seen it on the GPSR,figured it was set to seek out. Went for it, and found the lid!, So from GZ, I flip open the cell pull up the listing, see it is already disabled, guess I should of checked first.

TFTH, enjoyed the area all the same.

Wonder why he didn't replace it with another cache like he admitted doing in another thread on at least 2 other caches he couldn't find. I guess a lid is acceptable even tho he says "it's not about numbers".

I've been caching less than two months. My first several finds were pretty easy, even though some of them were in cities I'd never been to before. It's been some local caches that foiled me. One in particular added an extra mile to the hike. As a result, I've had a blister on my foot for a week. After reading this thread all afternoon, because I am too crippled to go caching, I decided to check on my DNFs. Wouldn't you know, the owner just discovered the cache was destroyed during recent prescribed burning?

Now, I logged it as DNF, but it is only logical that you cannot find something that isn't there. I mean, okay, you should be ashamed of yourself for not finding a 1.5/1.5 that's there, but I think it's only right that because I suffered for this torched cache (GCM4M1), that I should be allowed to change my log to Found It. I can't prove I would have found it had it been there, but nobody can prove I wouldn't have found it, either! After all, even when my foot heals, I have been deprived of the chance to go back and look for it again, through an act of the Div of Forestry. The prescribed burning was big news in the paper, so shouldn't the owner have gone out and checked on the cache? Why should I suffer the consequences of others' actions or inactions?

How can I hope to get the big numbers if I can't claim a few burned-out, non-existent caches? Would a photo of my blister be proof enough?

:ph34r:

Jim

I attempted a cache to a remote summit with no trail. It is one of the hardest caches in New England. When I got to the summit, I found everthing but the cache. Someone had removed it. The owner changed my dnf to found, because the cache was not there. I like dnfs because I get to visit the cache more than once. But I did not argue this one.

So, don't always assume that people are cheating!!

Since when can a CO change the log type?

icon_smile.gif December 27, 2008 by DIDNTSIGNTHELOG (74 found)

Nice One Thanks. Found but didn't sign.

icon_smile.gif December 30, 2008 by DIDNTSIGNTHELOG (74 found)

I love caches like this. Excellent. Ironically, the lights went out just as I spotted it. I didnt sign the log because I forgot my microscopic writing implement :unsure:

icon_smile.gif December 27, 2008 by DIDNTSIGNTHELOG (74 found)

I was in a car today hiking in the [place]. I will soon come back on a bike to get the others in this series. Didn't sign. Thanks.

icon_smile.gif January 4 by DIDNTSIGNTHELOG (74 found)

Finally got it after going all over that gate. I didn't sign the log. Thanks for the fun.

Biking along I got this one next. I didn't sign the log. Thanks for the fun.

Beautiful day it was today. I didn't sign the log. Thanks for the fun.

The caches are getting more elaborate. I didn't sign the log. Thanks for the fun.

There are more from this same person, but you get the idea.

Jim

Edited by Geo_Bird

icon_needsmaint.gif October 20, 2008 by Gotitright (202 found)

I have looked a couple of time because this is by my house. Please owner see if this cache is still there. If not Archive it.

:lol: July 27, 2008 by Fraudulent (354 found)

Found today with Britt & the boys or at least the spot where it was very cool park

icon_sad.gif July 26, 2008 by Truthful (96 found)

I found the place where this probably was located. It's a good location, but likely someone's taken the cache.

icon_sad.gif July 11, 2008 by Honest John (83 found)

Went to trade tb's but it was not in the usual spot. Looks like it is missing. It is unfortunate that the tb in the cache probably went with it.

icon_sad.gif May 24, 2008 by InytegriT (27 found)

We should have read the notes. We didn't find it but it looks to be an excellent place for a cache! hope you can reestablish it!

:lol: January 4 by Hmmmm (1040 found)

Thanks to a very conscientious cache owner who took the time, on the very next day I wrote my log, he verified my suspicion that the cache was indeed gone. He gave me the go ahead to log a find and I want to thank him for the time and effort he gave to clear this up. So another smilely on a trek that was a real adventure...

I mean, okay, you should be ashamed of yourself for not finding a 1.5/1.5 that's there...

I think this attitude is the reason for many of these logs. There really is nothing to be ashamed of if you don't find a cache. I don't care if it's a 1/1 or a 5/5. Sometimes you just don't see what others see. I DNFed a cache recently that had nearly 100 finds, many of which had some variation of "easy find" in the log. My log was the only DNF. I just missed it, no shame in that. I recall another cache that was a piece of cake find for me and most other cachers that someone with over 20,000 finds DNFed. No shame in that. No shame in ANY DNF. I think when people realize that, they'd be less likely to enter bogus logs.

Edited by briansnat

This thread is of Epic proportions and longevity.

Yes, despite the efforts of Those Who Have Gone Before to tear down this wall of ignorance, many cachers remain comfortably numb.

If you don't sign the logs, you can't have any smilies!

How can you have any smilies if you don't sign the logs?

You! Yes, you behind the Micro! Sign the log, buddy!

Jim

I think this attitude is the reason for many of these logs. There really is nothing to be ashamed of if you don't find a cache. I don't care if it's a 1/1 or a 5/5. Sometimes you just don't see what others see. I DNFed a cache recently that had nearly 100 finds, many of which had some variation of "easy find" in the log. My log was the only DNF. I just missed it, no shame in that. I recall another cache that was a piece of cake find for me and most other cachers that someone with over 20,000 finds DNFed. No shame in that. No shame in ANY DNF. I think when people realize that, they'd be less likely to enter bogus logs.

Sometimes the force is strong, sometimes not. If I just happen by a new cache and take a quick peek and don't find it, I probably won't log a DNF. If I make an honest effort and don't find it, I will log the DNF. I would never log a smiley if I didn't actually find it, although I would log a note if I found any remains or if I could see it, but not get to it.

Found one the other day that some seriously experienced cachers logged as a DNF. The wife and I had taken a quick peek on a nasty day, but decided getting blown around and whipped by tree limbs was not fun. Made it back over there and spent a good hour out there. Wasn't gonna give up, and I finally found it. A couple of the DNF's insisted the cache was MIA. Nope.

Edited by qlenfg
If I just happen by a new cache and take a quick peek and don't find it, I probably won't log a DNF. If I make an honest effort and don't find it, I will log the DNF. I would never log a smiley if I didn't actually find it, although I would log a note if I found any remains or if I could see it, but not get to it.

That pretty well sums up the process. A null, meaning no log at all, is not a dishonest act. While the report may be useful to the CO, at least you aren't making a fraudulent or questionable statement: "I found it."

Were I a CO, I'd like to see even casual DNFs logged, to know people were interested in my cache. But saying you found my cache when you didn't is worse than not reporting a DNF.

A couple of us, a few days apart, recently reported a local cache as DNF, causing the CO to investigate, as it should have been easy. Turns out it was destroyed in a prescribed burn in late November. Without our DNFs, more people would have gone on fruitless searches in an area that is pretty messed up after the burn. I'm sure this happens all the time.

It's too bad that as long as this thread had been running, and as prominent as it is on the list, that the practice continues. If the alleged finders won't clean up their acts, it's up to COs to delete incomplete logs, and the practice of granting permission to log a non-existent cache has to be dealt with. Enabling cheaters is bad for the sport. If you didn't sign the log you didn't find the cache. Period.

Jim

:unsure:February 3, 2007 by ??? & ??? (5776 found)

After searching for over an hour in 35 degree weather I was finally forced to call the cache owner, her clue was helpful but unfortunately confusing. We finally located the container about another half hour later but were unable to obtain it. Signed container holder. Logging find with permission of cache owner. TFTC

The cache in question is hanging 20+ feet up a mountain laurel and is a tough climb. (I actually carried a ladder half a mile to retrieve the cache.) The "container holder" that the above cachers signed was the tree itself!

icon_smile.gif January 3 by CACHER1 (35 found)

Good news. Bad news. Good news is that we found it. Bad news is that it is frozen in place so we couldn't get into it to view cache or sign log.

icon_smile.gif January 4 by CACHER2 (108 found)

My kindergartner cacher and I where out hunting a few caches today and we swung by to find this cache. [CACHER1] was right in their post that the cache is cracked and is frozen solid and locked in place. So we couldn't log our visit or swap and goodies either but I like the location (very neat spot).

Just checking to make sure this is ok, given the angry replies in this thread:

I have just started geocaching. My account is named albanysquad. As the name implies, it is a mulit-person account. At least 6 people are in our geocaching group, and hopefully we will be able to bring more people along. So far, we haven't all found all of the caches listed as found by albanysquad because some of them were found by only some of us, others we searched for together but didn't find until just two of use went back later, etc. We don't care for "geocacher cred" of finding the most caches; we don't care about numbers. We just want to have fun geocaching with each other and sometimes "each other" won't mean all of us at once.

Going to add: we won't be like anyone in these stories; we won't write that we found a cache unless we actually found it. The thrill is of finding the cache and signing your name. We would know that if we didn't find it to go back again to clinch the deal. Finding a cache on your second or third trip after searching for a long time is perhaps more fun than finding it on the first time after 5 minutes!

Well, when you leave the door open so wide....

icon_smile.gif January 3 by Albanysquad (29 found)

Found this one quickly, it was out in the open (after going through a dense thicket). It is destroyed, and the log is soaked. Couldn't write in it.

Edited by Geo_Bird

[

Well, when you leave the door open so wide....

icon_smile.gif January 3 by Albanysquad (29 found)

Found this one quickly, it was out in the open (after going through a dense thicket). It is destroyed, and the log is soaked. Couldn't write in it.

If I had the supplies or container to fix the cache, I would, or at least leave a slip of paper with my sig. If I couldn't fix it, I would log a find, most likely with a photo *and* post a maintenance message. Unless the CO is 'watching' the cache, I don't think he would know there was a problem without the maintenance entry.

If I had the supplies or container to fix the cache, I would, or at least leave a slip of paper with my sig. If I couldn't fix it, I would log a find, most likely with a photo *and* post a maintenance message. Unless the CO is 'watching' the cache, I don't think he would know there was a problem without the maintenance entry.

With all respect for your experience, which is vastly greater than mine, isn't the only acceptable conclusion to seeking a cache signing the log? I think it's a too-short step from what you are suggesting to someone concluding that because he or she can't find the cache, it must not be there. So they either throw down a micro or take a snapshot and claim the find. Finding the location is not the same as finding the cache, which can only be claimed by signing the log:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

I have logged two DNFs that led the COs to determine the caches were MIA. Some others would claim them as "Found It" because they were sure they were in the right place. I think that diminishes the sport or hobby. If you can't sign the log for any reason, I think it's a DNF.

If you can't sign the log for any reason, I think it's a DNF.

I find lots of the "finders" in this thread to be rather silly, but you are pushing a bit there...

:blink: I've never heard of a cache owner asking someone to delete their find because the logbook was too wet to be signed.

I've heard of one person deleting finds because someone dared to post a "Need Maintenance" on their cache because of the wet logbook, but most people thought that was a very silly and spiteful thing to do :unsure:

And while for some caches it is part of the challenge to open the container (combination lock, multiple layers of containers/puzzles, hidden logboog, 500 micros in a large container...), for most caches it is not important.

Considering where you live, the issue of frozen caches might be strange to you :D , but it happens a lot here. And most cache owners I know are quite ok with someone logging a "found it but couldn't open it because it is frozen shut" rather than having someone feel so obligated to sign the log that they risk breaking the container.

You can play how you want, obviously, but if someone has the cache in their hand, it is pretty safe to say the cache has been found, even if the logbook has turned into a block of ice or a blob of mold. And while placing a replacement container because you think you know where the cache should be is usually agreed to be a bad idea, adding a new logbook is not normally frowned upon... around here, anyway

With all respect for your experience, which is vastly greater than mine, isn't the only acceptable conclusion to seeking a cache signing the log? I think it's a too-short step from what you are suggesting to someone concluding that because he or she can't find the cache, it must not be there. So they either throw down a micro or take a snapshot and claim the find. Finding the location is not the same as finding the cache, which can only be claimed by signing the log:

Note that the message I replied to said the cache was out in the open, destroyed, and the log soaked -- not MIA, probably muggled. In my book, thats a find.

I have found several caches like this. In one case I recovered the soggy log and contents, but no container. I took the items home to dry them out, logged a find and contacted the CO.

If you can make your mark in the log book, such as etching your initials in the MUSH.

It is a find.

You've signed the log. But the idea, in the post above yours, that it's okay to claim a cache frozen in the ground can lead to the slippery slope. Yesterday I could touch a micro hidden in a fence next to the tennis courts at a park. But if I extracted the cache the muggle-tennis players would see it. So I could actually touch it but not sign the log.

Another local cacher went there two days earlier and apparently had the same problem. Only he claimed the find, even though he admitted in his report that he hadn't signed the log. I suppose in his mind the cache was frozen, not by ice, but by muggles.

You may say, Ah, but that's different, but is it really? Do we want to get into parsing the difference between frozen by nature and frozen by muggles? Or just say, If you can't sign the log you shouldn't claim the find.