Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Found October 19 by DidNotFindTheCache (195 found)

Even though this is disabled xxxx and I are considering it a find. The cache itself was not there but xxxx felt the telltale velcro.

These murals are great. Wish I had time to do more caching while visiting.

Archived October 18 by CacheOwner (101 found)

Edited by 9Key

Owner MaintenanceDecember 30 by CacheOwner (840 found)

CacheOwner here, I checked on the location of this cache about seven days ago and it was still in place. Remember the signal is weak in this area.

Found It December 28 by DroppedContainerForSmiley2 (1115 found)

After DroppedContainerForSmiley1 replaced the cache we claimed our smiley. Neat area.

Found It December 28 by DroppedContainerForSmiley1 (1212 found)

We were out doing some exploring with xxxx and her family. She had found this one before. We looked everywhere but did not find the original container. She had a cache container ready to go in her truck so we replaced the cache close to where she remembered it being. Signed the new log. It should be ready for others to find. Neat area! TFTC!!

I know the owner of this cache very well and let told me these folks did *not* contact him before replacing the container. Now there are two containers on site.

This one ranks on the left site of the chart, I think >>

logforce.jpg

Here is a couple that I found today, and I wouldn't call them newbies.

October 12 by xxxxxxx (1852 found)

Well, this was technically a DNF, but I didn't feel I had a fair chance at finding anything here. The last log states this cache is to be archived, but obviously it hasn't been. The coords brought me to the likely spot, and all I found was some mice crawling around.

If the cache owner feels generous, please allow me to "find" this one, as there should've been no reason NOT to find it otherwise.

October 12 by xxxxxxxxxx (1277 found) xxxxxxx and I ventured out to this cache site but had no luck. We had good reception and found a gutted tree with branches and bark pieces piled in it - exactly like a cache would have - but no cache. We searched the surrounding area and still no luck. Then we noticed the log about archiving, and realized that the cache may have been removed.

If the cache has been removed, then I'd like to count this as a find. If the cache is still there, then I'll log this as a DNF.

I have "found" a cache, and i was at the spot, so far i've been to that spot a few times already and not found it. i went back, and in the clues it says you may have a loose nut (guardrail cache). i found that loose nut, but didn't realize until i went to log a DNF that was where the cache was. Should i go "find" it, or should i go log a find now?

I have "found" a cache, and i was at the spot, so far i've been to that spot a few times already and not found it. i went back, and in the clues it says you may have a loose nut (guardrail cache). i found that loose nut, but didn't realize until i went to log a DNF that was where the cache was. Should i go "find" it, or should i go log a find now?

You haven't been reading this thread have you? :blink: I'm going to go log finds on all my DNF's, because that screw or nut laying on the ground may have been the cache. You obviously didn't sign the logbook, did you? So go find it, sign it and then log your find.

You haven't been reading this thread have you? :blink: I'm going to go log finds on all my DNF's, because that screw or nut laying on the ground may have been the cache. You obviously didn't sign the logbook, did you? So go find it, sign it and then log your find.

i've been reading this thread for a while now. the Nut/screw was still on the bolt and i was playing with it and didn't realize that it was the cache. No i didn't sign the logbook, and i didn't log a find. here's the cache GCT150, called What a View

icon_smile.gifNovember 25, 2007 by pppp(1001 found)

A smiley granted for this one. Thanks

icon_smile.gif November 24, 2007 by ttt (17 found)

told we could take a smiley by owner

so we did for our efforts

icon_disabled.gif November 23, 2007 by owner (708 found)

I plan on replacing the plastic container with an ammo can.

icon_smile.gifNovember 23, 2007 by mmm (411 found)

Since we were with the owner, and were in the right spot, he gave us credit for the find on the invisible cache container.

icon_disabled.gifNovember 23, 2007 byowner (708 found)

I was doing a bit of maintenence, and this one turned invisible. I'll replace it soon

Oh, this is how the game works...right?

" :huh: xxxxxxxx found (Multi-cache)

:huh::cry::P:huh::lol:

This was... AWESOME!

Anyone sensitive to spirits will definitely feel several presences. The sopapillas at A03 are some of the best I have had yet, and the food at A08 is outstanding. We took our time doing this, stopping for dinner then coming back the next day to finish it up.

Oh, we didn't find the cache, but we were looking on the ground. We'll go back later when we pay another visit to the chapel.

Lastly, did I mention, :P:P:D:D ?"

Log Date: 1/6/2008

Found it WAY to many muggles around to get it though...

:s.. this is the first time that i've had someone "find a cache" when they didn't find it

Actually, he said he DID find it. He just couldn't sign the log without compromising the cache. If I found a nano or micro in a high muggle density area, I would call it good too. Same as a cache with a wet log. You found the exact spot, and the container. Circumstances prevented physically writing your name.

Alright folks, give me your thoughts on this one. I just deleted a "found" log because this forum reminded me of my intentions to do so. While night caching at a township park, there was another cache within walking distance of the final.

Used the hints to find this additional cache. The hints were: No sand on this beech (OK, A BEECH TREE). and something about a hollow log. Bingo! Found a cache in a hollow log by a beech tree within 40' of the coords. Upon opening the cache, I read a different cache name. It was a letterbox! It was dark, I was tired and thought this was my intended target since there has been some sloppy cache maintenance in that area. I had no idea that there was a letterbox cache there not involved with geocaching.com.

To make myself feel better, I deleted my log and wrote a note. I guess integrity is another thing some of the supposed cachers quoted in this forum lack. I'll pat myself on the back later... :laughing:

Teeth to the wind!

:s.. this is the first time that i've had someone "find a cache" when they didn't find it

Actually, he said he DID find it. He just couldn't sign the log without compromising the cache. If I found a nano or micro in a high muggle density area, I would call it good too. Same as a cache with a wet log. You found the exact spot, and the container. Circumstances prevented physically writing your name.

:P Slippery slope there . . . B):PB)

One of my own logs:

I'm claiming a find for this one but I couldn't write in the logbook as it was burned. A fierce fire has been through the cache area and the only way I could say I found the cache is by some amatuer CSI work - for the TBs we couldn't even use dental records! We found two dog tags, only 1 was legible, a couple of springs and metal things and a lot of charcoal. The cache hint confirmed what we were seeing. Unfortunately this cache is now toast! Had a brief ceremony in remembrance - flowers were a nice touch. Afraid owner will need to find a new hie for this as the previous is no more. Took the 2 dog tags. I will try and replace the item on the legible one with permission from owner. See attached photos.

Is that acceptable?

BTW< I did return after the cache had been replaced and logged a note "Found". (ie: not a second find) B)

B)

One of my own logs:

I'm claiming a find for this one but I couldn't write in the logbook as it was burned. A fierce fire has been through the cache area and the only way I could say I found the cache is by some amatuer CSI work - for the TBs we couldn't even use dental records! We found two dog tags, only 1 was legible, a couple of springs and metal things and a lot of charcoal. The cache hint confirmed what we were seeing. Unfortunately this cache is now toast! Had a brief ceremony in remembrance - flowers were a nice touch. Afraid owner will need to find a new hie for this as the previous is no more. Took the 2 dog tags. I will try and replace the item on the legible one with permission from owner. See attached photos.

Is that acceptable?

BTW< I did return after the cache had been replaced and logged a note "Found". (ie: not a second find) B)

B)

Works for me.

If the log was wet, I'd call it a find. Not for muggles though...if you can't hold the cache in your hands long enough to open it and sign the log, I'm not sure that's a find. If you SEE the cache and you can't reach it (due to being too far down a cliff, or too many muggles, whatever) that's not a find to me. If you can HOLD it but not sign it, that's a find.

The only time I've done that is when I had to take a picture of a cache to prove I'd been there. It was a cache that required a boat, and I'd paddled out to the spot, climbed up the rock, and retrieved the micro container...only to realize I'd left all writing implements behind! I had my cell phone (for safety purposes) and it has a camera, so I took a picture of the cache and log to serve as my "signature" on the site.

Here is one I saw recently. I guess this cacher feels that driving up and seeing the ammo box from the car is enough for a "find": http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...6c-aa8998513d22 :(

"I went by and the place looked like it was still closed up. Not to many weddings going on at 8:30 on a Tuesday morning I guess but I saw the cache through the window. I really didn't want to bother anyone so I didn't sign the log or anything. Thanks for the unique cache!"

Sorry, but if there are too many people around for you to log it, and you didn't sign the log, you don't get a biscuit. I've had to come back to a lot of caches in order to get my hands on the log safely.

Sorry, but if there are too many people around for you to log it, and you didn't sign the log, you don't get a biscuit. I've had to come back to a lot of caches in order to get my hands on the log safely.

Yep, if you don't sign the log, you don't get a find. It is pretty simple.

Cache owner grants permission to log find on a cache that was DNF'ed and archives the cache...then another cacher actually finds it!

January 13, 2007 by XXXXX (375 found)

:laughing: Found this one, it's archived but was on our to do list and we didnt know it! Did we jump the gun? Either way, SL, TFTC!!

<archived> January 9, 2007 by cache owner (1621 found)

I went by to check on this today after it was logged a DNF. It appears that someone stole the tree it was by and took the cache along with it. Ive rounded up the usual suspects and the landscaping crew, but they are not talking.

Im sure someone (maybe me at a later time) can use this area to hide another cache. So Im gonna archive it to open up that possibility.

;) January 7, 2007 by AAAAA AAAAA (1639 found)

Hiya kids hiya hiya,

Cache owner said I could count this as a find because I was there and the cache wasn't! Thanks.

XXXXX

<DNF> January 6, 2007 by AAAAA AAAAA (1639 found)

Hiya kids hiya hiya,

Hated to log this DNF, but I didn't find it again. Must be some great camo!

XXXXX

Six DNF's before this "find" and another DNF since.

:laughing: December 27, 2007 by Phantom Loggers (276 found)

We found ground zero, and even took pics to prove it, but no cache container. GPS read 23 feet from coords most of the time, and 2 feet the rest of the time, GREAT place! Loved how it was set up, and wow some monuments were amazing!

Six DNF's before this "find" and another DNF since.

:antenna: December 27, 2007 by Phantom Loggers (276 found)

We found ground zero, and even took pics to prove it, but no cache container. GPS read 23 feet from coords most of the time, and 2 feet the rest of the time, GREAT place! Loved how it was set up, and wow some monuments were amazing!

Good grief. :laughing::antenna:

I can honestly say that I am not guilty of this....went geocaching one day and was very close to the cache or so my GPS told me, looked down saw a huge snake and decided it was better to leave, marked it as a DNF......I figure if I haven't held it, I haven'tfound it........

:yikes: January 3 by xxx xxxxx (1231 found)

With help from the owner we get to log it THANKS FOR THE HUNT

[note] January 3 by cache owner (1638 found)

Well I know this took forever, the closest cache too me too. Go figure. But I finally got out to it and confirmed it is missing. I am going to replace this with a Micro in a few days. Sorry for the trouble anyone may have experienced.

[disabled] January 22 by Cache owner (2442 found)

Must have fallen into the creek so we'll replace after the snow melts.

[view this log on a separate page]

:yikes: December 29, 2007 by xxxx xxxxxx (1670 found)

Hiya kids hiya hiya,

What a beautiful spot on this snowy day! Logged with owner's permission. Thanks for the cache.

At least he posted a 'needs maintenance' before logging the find...

[disabled] January 14 by cache owner (286 found)

Seems to have been muggled and will require cache maintenance.

Thanks xxxx for reporting the status.

:yikes: January 12 by xxxx(118 found)

muggled

[needs maintenance] January 12 by xxxx(118 found)

found the bottom part of the container, where it was suppose to be, but nothing else - muggled!

hmmm....

:yikes: December 2, 2007 by xxxxxxxxxx (125 found)

Well....found a ransom note in a ziplock bag stating where the new location was. On the back of the note was a podunk map of the 'new location'. Since we're not too familiar with the area, we weren't about to traps around.......so we're counting this as a find. Really nice area!! How lucky you are to have this as your 'backyard'!!

Owner Disable January 28 by cacher owner (2018 found)

Missing...

Note January 27 by truthful cacher #2 (473 found)

In the cemetary lookin for this and the other Barrow Gang caches. Found the eyebolt that is like the ones holding the other caches, but no container in sight.

Found It September 8, 2007 by gottahavafind #2(894 found)

Found where it *should* be, but cache was gone. The tree attachment was all that was left... needs a replacement.

Found It August 24, 2007 by gottahavafind #1 (705 found)

Found this one blowing in the wind but only the lid. Would of replaced but did not have any more bison tubes.

DNF August 12, 2007 by truthful cacher #1 (3950 found)

Found the "holding mechanism", but no cache.

There was a burial here very recently. Me thinks it may have been filched at that time.

A few years ago a couple from the upper midwest (home of multi-attended logs on events) spent 10 days in Florida. They attended weekend events at each end of their stay. They logged one attended per (no temp caches are placed here, it just never caught on). But in addition, they logged attended on several events through the month PRIOR to their arrival in the state! One of them mine. It's one of two logs I've ever deleted. Deleted without comment.

Now that's weird.

Wow- I'm new obviously, but I didn't know that people log finds like this! I have had a pseudo find before. Found a container full of water. I stuffed some log sheets in it, with a note, put it back where it was supposed to be and put a note on the listing for the owner to check and if it was infact the real cache I'd log a find.

Is that proper? It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Edited by bradnlinds

Wow- I'm new obviously, but I didn't know that people log finds like this! I have had a pseudo find before. Found a container full of water. I stuffed some log sheets in it, with a note, put it back where it was supposed to be and put a note on the listing for the owner to check and if it was infact the real cache I'd log a find.

You did the right thing, logging it as a note instead of a find. Once the CO goes back and takes care of the cache, then you're free to go back and log the find.

Another "Found It = Didn't Find It" that I found tonight:

"We followed our GPS coordinates to the place where this cache was located near the Arts Center. However, we could see the path leading to the cache but there are about six bee hives in place now with bees swarming around and about. We decided it was not worth the chance to get stung to find the cache as the bees were in the way. But, we had fun anyway."

Just a day or two ago I had this as a "found" log on one of my caches:

"Found with xxxxxx Did not sign log, had forgotten to bring a pen or pencil. Left a pathtag though. TFTC."

Is leaving a pathtag an acceptable substitute for signing the log? I'm willing to be live and let live, but at the same time...

What about leaving a travel bug? Then if someone comes along and moves the bug from the cache -- that proves that the person who held the bug previously was actually there, right?

I have a cache where the lid was cracked and the insides totally wet. Well, someone comes along and finds my cache and *tries* to sign the soaked log book. They leave a TB to 'prove' they were there. (I ended up archiving and replacing a new container in a new location under a new GC#) So when I removed the old log book and let it dry out quite a bit, I could actually make out their name etched into the wet pages. ;)

You did the right thing, logging it as a note instead of a find. Once the CO goes back and takes care of the cache, then you're free to go back and log the find.

I'd log that as a find if I was absolutely certain it was the cache container. It's not Bradnlinds fault it was full of water.

ust a day or two ago I had this as a "found" log on one of my caches:

"Found with xxxxxx Did not sign log, had forgotten to bring a pen or pencil. Left a pathtag though. TFTC."

Is leaving a pathtag an acceptable substitute for signing the log? I'm willing to be live and let live, but at the same time...

I'd let that slide. He found the cache. The log is just proof he was there. The Pathtag would also be proof if you were inclined to go out and check for it. I'd take the guy's word for it. Now if he starts "forgetting" his pen all the time, then something's fishy.

Edited by briansnat

icon_smile.gif September 21, 2007 by Dropsy (558 found)

We found the cache. It was wedged in tightly, and when we tried to remove it, it fell. We were unable to retrieve it. Very sorry, CO. It was a fun find.

At least, they apologized.

I was very upset when someone did this on a multi I had been working on for 6 months. I was so upset I decided to try and find the cache. I was going to write a nasty gram to the person who said "I'll me back on Saturday to finish it" after they logged their smiley. After visiting the persons profile page I retracted the e-mail I was going to send.

So I am searching for the final stage when I hear something from across the stream and I recognize the geocacher! It's the same one who said he would return on Saturday. Made me glad I listened to my mama and just didn't say anything because I had nothing good to say. So the day ended happily, I got to log a smiley and they got to sign the log book we had a pleasant conversation instead of a verbal spat. All is well that ends well.

Now if he starts "forgetting" his pen all the time, then something's fishy.

I arrived at a bushwhacking cache sans pen. I'd stuck it in my pocket, but didn't zip the pocket and lost it on the way. I did the muddy twig IK siggy and went on to other caches. That's not a signature that holds up well. Later that same day, on a cache by the SAME owner, I found that I had worked my way through the woods, through the water, bridge building with dead wood to keep my feet dry, climbed the tree and had decon in hand. NO PEN. I figured twice in one day was really pushing it, so I went all the way back to my bike (down tree, across water, through woods bushwhack) and got the last stubby pencil so I could sign. I left the stubby pencil. The cache owner might have been okay with two twig/mud sigs, BUT...... (And the decon started with a stubby pencil, but the FTF dropped it into the water below.)

BACK On Topic:

icon_smile.gifMarch 2 by NeedsArchivedafterOurSmiley (910 found)

5:32PM Called up a friend that speaks spanish and had her translate the cache name and hint for us. Found the cache location with no trouble. There is a spoiler picture from 8/19/07 showing the exact location of the cache and it is not there. Because we read logs about the container being found on the ground, we searched the area for about 20 minutes and didn't see it anywhere. Claiming this as a find because we are positive we found the proper spot for the cache and it doesn't appear we will get another chance to go back and sign a log when it is replaced because the owner hasn't been on gc.com since 2005, so we doubt a replacement will ever appear.

icon_smile.gifDecember 29, 2007 by Didn't Log a DNF (155 found)

I rarely if ever log a DNF, but this one I will. BBBBB and I looked for quite a long time even laying under the bridge in the mud! Nothing icon_smile_dead.gif

Find some interesting logs going through my GPX for archived caches...

icon_smile.gifNovember 3, 2007 by Signed the Lid (2599 found)

Most of this cache appears to be gone - amazingly, the good-sized lid still remains. We found the lid but the rest of the cache was nowhere around. We then looked at the hint, but the object described was well away from where we found the lid and there was no place near the object in the hint to hide a cache of the size represented by the lid. We signed the lid, rehid it, and took a picture of ourselves with it - we'll email this to the owner.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

icon_smile.gifNovember 3, 2007 by Signed the Lid (2599 found)

Most of this cache appears to be gone - amazingly, the good-sized lid still remains. We found the lid but the rest of the cache was nowhere around. We then looked at the hint, but the object described was well away from where we found the lid and there was no place near the object in the hint to hide a cache of the size represented by the lid. We signed the lid, rehid it, and took a picture of ourselves with it - we'll email this to the owner.

So they might very well have found a piece of trash and signed it. ROFL.