Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

I watched my companions look for the cache, and they looked exactly where it was supposed to be. Most unfortunately for me and them, it was gone. I said it was up to them, they could log it, and it would be fine with me. My reasoning was that I had placed the cache *so that they could have the experience I was offering*, a 6 mile beach hike with beautiful views. On the log page I'd pretty much said where to find the cache - the cache was intended as a bonus at the end, not the be-all and end-all.

But the sport is geocaching and the point is to find geocaches. If there is no geocache then it's just hiking.

hikers can go to backpacker.com and log their hiking mileage. We log geocache finds here.

Again, I wouldn't even have considered it if I hadn't been there. And it wasn't logged by anybody.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never had a fake log on one of my caches. I don't know, the paper logs are still out there.

I'm going so off topic here, that I apologize, but what concerns me more is people who are in such a hurry to find a cache and log it, that they don't even notice their surroundings.

I took an expensive ferry ride to Whidbey Island, and hoped to find a number of caches, but fell in love with a State Park that one of them took me to, and found a rickety staircase down to the beach, and wandered the trails, and laid out in the sun, and I'm so grateful to the cacher who placed the cache that got me started. I found very few caches.

So, I'm more geared to that type of caching. And more willing to give a smiley. :(

:D August 13 by NumbersHound? (1013 found)

The owner of the cache has allowed me to log this as a find even though it is MIA. I am coming through before the owner is able to replace the cache as he is vacationing. Thank you CACHEOWNER

:D July 21 by HonestCacher5 (1604 found)

Yep, this one is definately MIA. I stopped by on my way back form Geneva with Bingo Kim tonight and the cache is no where around in the spot I found it last year.

MickEMT

:) July 10 by HonestCacher4 (49 found)

No luck from this hea trifocaled ole boy from Souff Cakalina.

Muggled? My boy wiff the Eagle eyes couldn't find it eiffer.

:D July 9 by HonestCacher3 (176 found)

Looked for a while, but no luck. Seemed obvious where it should be...

:D June 27 by HonestCacher2 (40 found)

Oh well, seems to have disappeared.

:o June 24 by HonestCacher (722 found)

?Muggled

August 16 by Doesn't Know What a Log is (370 found)

We went searching for this cache without knowing it had been deactivated. The gps led us to a logical spot, and I thought we had found a very interesting nano container when we pulled off a little round magnetic item. It turned out that it was just the means of holding the former cache which had gone missing. Since the cache owner agreed that we had as good as found the cache, he is letting us log it. Hope it will be back in action again soon!

August 13 by CO (101 found)

stopped by while out biking today. this cache has yet again gone AWOL. I'm going to temporarily disable it until I can come up with a better solution for a hide there.

What did we log here? It was a magnetic keyholder when I found it.

August 13 by NumbersHound? (1013 found)

he owner of the cache has allowed me to log this as a find even though it is MIA. I am coming through before the owner is able to replace the cache as he is vacationing. Thank you CACHEOWNER

Did he even visit the cache site? Almost seems as if he didn't even bother.

August 16 by Found a Magnet (370 found)

We went searching for this cache without knowing it had been deactivated. The gps led us to a logical spot, and I thought we had found a very interesting nano container when we pulled off a little round magnetic item. It turned out that it was just the means of holding the former cache which had gone missing. Since the cache owner agreed that we had as good as found the cache, he is letting us log it. Hope it will be back in action again soon!

August 13 by Cache Hider (103 found)

stopped by while out biking today. this cache has yet again gone AWOL. I'm going to temporarily disable it until I can come up with a better solution for a hide there.

Ah! "As good as found the cache"! Nice park. The magnetic keyholder lasted two weeks! (Surprised me.) I hope he signed the magnet!

498, huh? Well, I thought of going after this cache and, if I had, it would have been an easy find, but it rained so I stayed home and watch World Series of Poker for the 12th time. So give me a smiley.

It's all in the numbers. :laughing:

I must not be much either. I have under 25 finds and have had an account for years. But my job keeps me very busy and leave little time for extras. I go out and cache when I have a little time for some fun.

I must not be much either. I have under 25 finds and have had an account for years. But my job keeps me very busy and leave little time for extras. I go out and cache when I have a little time for some fun.

You do realize don't you that you just responded to a post that's over 2 years old. :laughing:

Well known poster on this thread' date='Mar 3 2003, 01:26 PM' post='704592'

My theory:

1. They have a find deleted by some overbearing cache owner who has placed tedious requirements for logging.

2. They ask a simple question in the forums and some sanctimonious do-gooder b1tch-slaps them for it.

3. They read the pointless debates about the proper type of cache container, low environmental impact search methods, and endless drivel from some holier-than-thou player who believes they alone are enlightened and thus in authority.

4. They read about the almost constant knee-jerk demand for more rules because of some isolated incident, real or imagined.

5. Other cachers who feel the find-count alone determines a player’s worthiness degrade them.

No, I’m not cynical; I just need a beer tonight.

Link to persons web page

I found this in a recently revived thread about why people quit geocaching. I find #3 very ironic.

My theory:

1. They have a find deleted by some overbearing cache owner who has placed tedious requirements for logging.

2. They ask a simple question in the forums and some sanctimonious do-gooder b1tch-slaps them for it.

3. They read the pointless debates about the proper type of cache container, low environmental impact search methods, and endless drivel from some holier-than-thou player who believes they alone are enlightened and thus in authority.

4. They read about the almost constant knee-jerk demand for more rules because of some isolated incident, real or imagined.

5. Other cachers who feel the find-count alone determines a player’s worthiness degrade them.

Link to persons web page

I found this in a recently revived thread about why people quit geocaching. I find #3 very ironic.

Check out #2 while you're at it.

My theory:

Link to persons web page

evil11.gif

Keep trying though, even the special ed kids need to feel good about something.

Edited by Criminal

And now to get this thread back OT:

And still more on topic:

:anitongue: August 1 by Poor driving parking lot cacher (323 found)

guess i shoulda checked back to the logs...started this one a few months back, backed into a pole in the parking lot....forgot to go back till today. Like the last poster, i found the tape and the magnet , but no cache.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

:rolleyes: July 27 by Photo Cacher (170 found)

FOUND IT BEFORE HEADING OUT ON CRUISE FISHING EXCURSION, UNFORTUNATELY PLACE WAS CLOSED UP AND WAS TOLD WOULD NOT BE OPENING UP AGAIN UNTIL AFTER 5PM(WHEN OUR SHIP WAS SCHEDULED TO LEAVE) GONNA LOG THIS AS A FIND AS I COULD SEE THE CACHE FROM THE FRONT GATE AND GOT A PIC OF IT, SO CLOSE BUT YET SO FAR......TFTC!!

Here we have been signing the logs all this time. Stupid us.

:) August 31 by zzzzzzzz (479 found)

Hiked up from Middle Fork Road. Found the cabin remains and doorway but no tupperware container. Don't know if anyone else looked for it since last August since there are no logs

Silly me. I thought the smilie was for finding a cache.

A few months ago, when I was still a single-digit babe in the woods, I found my first multi. Took about three minutes to find the first part. Didn't even know how to set a waypoint in my GPSr, so I wandered around until I made the numbers match the location of the second part ... when I went to log it online, I found that the day before, a five-figure cacher had logged that the first part was missing but companion cacher had found it before and knew where part 2 was so they went and signed the log and logged a find. (Not quoting verbatim because I figure it's too easy to identify a five-figure cacher.)

Cacher is known to be a good sport and is well liked and later logged "have I found too many caches?"

Cache owner, who had immediately disabled it in response to the backhanded "find", thanked me. :D

Edward

I found a cache one. I had the container in my hand! I couldn't get it opened, It was a very unique container. (not an ammo can or anything like that, something very rare).

I found it polite to email the cache owner instead of automatically logging it as a find. Let the Cache owner decide what is or isn't a find. He said I could even though I didn't physically sign the log.

I do agree, however, that "I saw the sign that said 'East Bay Park' and I know the cache is in there, so I am chalking this up as a find" is B.S. to those of us who actually hunt and find the cache.

Here's one that was seemingly disloged and apparently still there. Only a few have bothered to look beyond the magnets which they are logging as a find :D .

icon_needsmaint.gif September 23 by Cabear (523 found)

I think this needs Maintenance. We found two Magenets with glue on them and nothing else.

icon_sad.gif September 13 by Onest (377 found)

Looked again with ksbcde and couldnt find it yet again, we overturned every rock there and it isnt there. With all of the recent storms passing through, could it actually be gone this time?

icon_note.gif July 31 by LeastIdidntlogitwice (70 found)

I had logged this as missing a couple months ago. After reading that other Cachers found it, I went back and found the container. I had logged it as a find since I found the magnets, and assumed the container was "Washed out". TFTH.

:D July 12 by joecacher (49 found)

It took a little looking but we found it.

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

:D July 8 by marycacher (752 found)

Found with my daughter. TN/LN Signed the log. Thanks.

:D July 8 by Ifoundit (254 found)

Found with my daddy. TN/LN Signed the log. Thanks.

:D June 28 by Goodboy (151 found)

Well the cache IS there! I almost gave up and then saw the logo. Ignore the magnets and find the cache. The log is a little damp but ok. TFTH.

:D June 18 by Phoneybaloney (204 found)

I found what was left of it. The magnets were still in place, but the rest of it is AWOL. Needs maintenance.

icon_sad.gifJune 10 by Honest John (377 found)

Magnets are there, Cache is not. Needs to be looked at.

:D June 10 by Huh (377 found)

Found the magnets, but no cache. This one needs to be looked at.

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

:D May 28 by Finder (202 found)

found the cache a few days ago but have been slow in my logging. the cache is there. not with the magnets but some searching within arms length should get you to the container. thanks for the fun!

icon_needsmaint.gif May 14 by IntegreT (172 found)

808- found where it should be.

:D May 13 by Foundwhat (70 found)

I'm logging this one as a find since I did find magnets where the cache should have been.

icon_needsmaint.gifMay 13 by Foundwhat (70 found)

I found where the cache was. The magnets were still there with glue on them, but there's no sign of the cache. I checked to see if it had fallen into the rocks, but it wasn't there. The grass had also been freshly cut. I will also log this on as a find.

More velcro finds!

icon_disabled.gifAugust 15 by admin (13 found)

Touching velcro is not finding a geocache. Disabling to give the owner a chance to fix this one.

icon_smile.gifJuly 22 by Hhhh (231 found)

Touched the Vercro.

icon_sad.gifJuly 14 by has a clue (40 found)

DNF, found where is probably was but no cache.

icon_smile.gifJune 23 by eeee (599 found)

Found the Velcro, log missing

icon_smile.gifJune 16 by Bbbbb (2058 found)

Since everyone else is logging the velcro that they found, we decided we could do the same. Cache container no, velcro yes.

icon_smile.gifJune 16 by trtrtrr (253 found)

Found the velcro and the place where the cache should be. Only the container was missing. Needs to be replaced.

icon_smile.gifJune 11 by bhhh (408 found)

Found the velcro where cache used to be. Nice walk this morning to find the cache.

icon_smile.gifJune 11 by dddd (110 found)

Found the velcro along with the last few cachers. Definitely missing the log.

icon_smile.gifJune 7 by wwwwww (617 found)

4 of 10 today..... Same story as user, missing container. I looked around the general area for it, but it looks like it's gone for good.

icon_smile.gifJune 3 by djffff (293 found)

We found it...well sorta...we found the velcro but it looks like sticky isn't so sticky anymore.

Here's one I visited yesterday. The cache is available again...

:) September 18 by SawTheFence (337 found)

Didn't find this cache due to all of the goats that had been let loose to munch on the blackberry vines. Oh, the electric fence didn't help either. Will try again next time I am in town. TFTC

:D September 18 by AnotherGoodGuy (40 found)

Saw the goats this afternoon. They are doing a good job. The river was not giving up fish today!

:) September 18 by GoodCachers (63 found)

Passed by this morning on a bike ride and noticed that the cache area is currently surrounded by an electric fence to keep the goats in the area to eat at the overgrown brush. So for now its unavailable. I ride by every other day so ill post back when the fence is gone.

:D September 7 by LastToFind? (832 found)

What a beautiful morning to cache..

Cache Logs

icon_smile.gif September 29 by Found Stage One (4 found)

Found in less than 5 minutes. onto your stage 2 in the next week. thanx

Umm... That's a five stage multi. You don't get a smiley for each stage!

They were just wrong, not falsely logging on purpose. Maybe you should tell them.

:P February 8, 2004 by Another Cacher without a Clue (576 found)

Another Cacher without a Clue are visiting Mom up in an area, and we did some nearby caches today. Unfortunetly, even though we were in the correct spot, we didn'y find the cach either. D'oh! I down loaded my Pocket Queries last week before the trip, am surprised this showed up in my PDA and gps. But hey, that's also part of the fun. Thanx for a fun time anyway :) So am gonna claim it as a find, but if the owner disagrees, will delete it. No worries, it was fun, and too bad the otters weren't there.

:P January 31, 2004 by Cacher's without a Clue (2012 found)

Found exact site location at 1450. Unfortunately could NOT find the cache itself! There were fishermen on a bridge nearby, leading us to believe that the cache might have been taken or destroyed! Spent a good 30 minutes going through ALL the area in hopes to at least find something to retrieve for the owner! But to no avail! Had downlaoded this cache the afternoon before, and when we got back online later we saw it was archived! Since we were 'newbies', we didnt know that we could still post to it, until much later when we met Another Cacher without a clue and they told us all about it! Because we not only found the EXACT site (clues and GPS took us RIGHT there! Good job on both, by the way!) and that we tried and tried to find reminants of the cache, we are hoping that you will accept this as a find for us! If not, let us know. TFTH, and real sorry that this happened to you! Keep smiling!!!

traffic_cone.gifJanuary 30, 2004 by The Cache Owners (194 found)

After reading the last log for this cache, we went and checked on it, and sure enough it is gone. So the cache is grounded.

In my area, a certain person hid a street light cache in a relatively busy area about 20' in the air, in plain sight

How were you supposed to get it?

Hey, we found that cache and yes, we signed the log! :mad:

Gotta love it Billy :mad: We found one last week about 35 feet up, in a tree, in plain sight, in a park with lots of folks. And yes, we signed the log <_<

This was a DNF

I think this one went MIA as I combed over the area with a fine tooth, anti-nit comb for about 20 minutes today.

I did find the following: 2 wasp nests under the seat, rust flakes on the electric box, and three cigarette butts.

Serious bummer....

So then I eventually archived the cache. It was a lame micro anyway and appeared lost. AFTER I archived the cache, they posted this, using the same date as their DNF.:

We are coming up on our caching anniversary and decided to go thru our DNFs to see if it was us or if the cache was really missing. We see that this cache was actually gone. If the owner has any issues with us logging the find please let us know.

My reaction was basically "I have read of this. . ."

I like this thread.... I come across it once and a while, so I figure I should contribute:

icon_smile.gif September 10 by NotFirstToReportIt (1037 found)

Sort of .... It is very gone due to road-widening work but the owners graciously allowed the smiley since we were there and reported its loss. Thanks bunchies!

icon_sad.gif September 3 by FirstToReportIt (4702 found)

I'll add my DNF to the pile. A call to the owner makes me suspect that this one went with the maintenance crew.

Edited by wsgaskins

Man am I totally screwed up on this. I have about 10-15 caches I found, signed the log and forgot to log them here in a reasonable amount of time. I am feeling so guilty that I am going to go back check the cache and resign the log and then log my finds here. I guess a lot of people are hung up on their numbers and not on being outdoors looking for caches. I am a firm believer in QUALITY not QUANTITY! I would rather spend an hour in the woods looking for a cache of quality than a billion urban micros. How can people lie about finding something they didn't? Nobody cares about their numbers but themselves, IN otherwords they are lying to nobody but themselves. C'est La Vie!

Peace!

[unavailable] November 2006 by Cache owner (xx found)

The cache has disappeared twice, so I am taking it down.

:blink: June 2007 by FakeFinder (xxx found)

FTF!

we have searched quite a long time to make sure the cache had gone. Then we restored it using a microcache can I had carried from home for this purpose. So for now it is a typical microcache, I think it is better than nothing. It can be a microcache just temporarily until the cache owner changes the can or it can be so forever, it depends only on the owner.

:santa: October 2007 by Somebody (xx found)

Hurraaay! i am happy to announce that the (new) micro is still in place...thanks to the team who made this possible :laughing: you could consider me the FTF :santa:

What bothers me, someone came 7 months after the cache was disabled, with intent to place a micro, and find it!

icon_smile.gif October 15 by Lanyard Finder 4 (2151 found)

I found the benchmark and the lanyard but the rest is missing. I couldn't sign the log as it was missing. I think ths one needs some attention. Thanks for the hide.

icon_smile.gif September 10 by Lanyard Finder 3 (507 found)

Found benchmark and cache but log was gone.

icon_smile.gif September 10 by Lanyard Finder 2 (506 found)

Found but log was missing. Very nice park and hide

icon_smile.gif September 10 by Lanyard Finder 1 (401 found)

Did find what was left of the cache. We found the lanyard that the cache was formerly attached to. But low and behold, once extracted...No Cache. It has been muggled.

TFTC anyway....It was an excellent hide....

icon_smile.gif June 17 by Last Finder (11 found)

Easy find. Made sure no one saw us since this is out in the open.

May I suggest lanyardfinders.com?

I know we aren't supposed to accuse people of cheating, or pass judgement, but seriously... What are they thinking?

We aren't supposed to point out cheating? Is there a rule about this that I missed?

The best tool to prevent this kind of behavior is ridicule. Identifying cheaters is an integral part of that. I see it as an obligation.

On the other hand, who are people that log finds when they haven't found the cache really cheating. It's not like geocaching is a competition.

I was out caching with someone last weekend that said he found a cache recently that had a recent log from the owner indicating that he was going to photograph the logs and post it on the listing. I think I would be a bit annoyed of a cache owner did that. What I write in the physical logs is often different from what I write on the web site and is more targeted to subsequent cachers that have found it than to the owner.

Okay, here is one that is slightly different.

I was out in California (from the east coast) awhile back and did some caching in the South Lake Tahoe area. One of the caches I found is called "Stateline". It's located behind one of the casinos which, obviously, is in Nevada. The cache is located about 3' from a chain link fence which I assume is the property line border, and most likely is the state line as well. It shows up on my GPS as being in Nevada, but the listing on geocaching.com places the coordinates in California. On my profile page I have the U.S. state map with Nevada filled in it's the only cache I have found "in" Nevada. Given where I live, it's entirely possible I may never visit the state of Nevada again so I am logging Nevada in my profile as a state in which I have found a cache. As much as the pure cache numbers I like collecting "States' and "Countries" where I have logged a cache. I have already done four Countries and will almost certainly be adding South Africa and Zambia in a few weeks.

I committed the ultimate geocaching sin Tuesday. :D

I moved a cache. Not far, just a 100 feet or so. :wub:

Still should be easy to find as it is under a rock on a bald knob near a lookout at 7754 feet elevation and now under a foot or better of snow. :D

Upset yet? :D

I did it at the request of the cache owner.

Seems as it could not get approved where it was sitting.

Too near or in a wilderness area. :(

I signed the log BEFORE the cache was approved.

Yes, I claimed the FTF.

After driving 60 miles and burning 4 hours of my time I feel no guilt. :D

Logscaler.

Edited by logscaler & Red

I committed the ultimate geocaching sin Tuesday. :D

I moved a cache. Not far, just a 100 feet or so. :wub:

Still should be easy to find as it is under a rock on a bald knob near a lookout at 7754 feet elevation and now under a foot or better of snow. :D

Upset yet? :D

I did it at the request of the cache owner.

Seems as it could not get approved where it was sitting.

Too near or in a wilderness area. :(

I signed the log BEFORE the cache was approved.

Yes, I claimed the FTF.

After driving 60 miles and burning 4 hours of my time I feel no guilt. :D

Logscaler.

I guess what I wonder is if the owner told you exactly where to find it, or if you still had to hunt for it? I would be less inclined to frown upon claiming the FTF if you had to hunt for it, but if you walked up to the exact spot because you knew where it was, well...claiming the FTF is a pretty rude thing in that situation, IMHO.

All I had was the coordinates to work with.

No hints.

No size.

No color.

No shape.

Less information then a normal cache hunt.

Made the challenge a tad bit more then normal but more interesting as well.

Once on scene, I only had about 15 minutes before dark and the snow was just starting to fall.

Then I had to locate another cache spot within 0.10 miles and within 50 feet of the road - width of the ROW for the road.

Logscaler.

logscaler -- It sounds to me like your Found It = Found It and then you went the extra mile (or <0.1 mi in this case :surprise: ) and helped out a cache owner. I think that's wonderful karma points there!

I've done this before as well, but the claim of FTF is, I thought, usually reserved for the first person to find the cache after it's listed on the site. Kinda like when a tribute cache is placed and the honoree goes with a larger group (or by themselves) to find the cache before the public listing is enabled. They aren't really the FTF even though they found it first. Is this too fine a line to draw? If it were my cache, I'd say that the next person to find the cache after it's listed can *also* claim FTF. :ph34r: Maybe what you have there is an FTFPTP -- First to Find Prior to Publication.

I was out in California (from the east coast) awhile back and did some caching in the South Lake Tahoe area. One of the caches I found is called "Stateline".

That's a tricky one, isn't it! I was recently in South Lake Tahoe on vacation as well and I went to find that one, but I ended up on the wrong side of the fence -- just because I thought that it looked like it would more likely be over there. It looked to me like the fence was the state line, though, so the cache was definitely in Nevada. I think the 'state' designation on Geocaching.com listings are the value that is chosen by the hider when they fill out the hide-a-cache form. I don't believe that they geocode the coordinates to determine which state the cache is in.

..... Upon further review, the booth rules this "Nevada"! .....

logscaler -- It sounds to me like your Found It = Found It and then you went the extra mile (or <0.1 mi in this case :surprise: ) and helped out a cache owner. I think that's wonderful karma points there!

I've done this before as well, but the claim of FTF is, I thought, usually reserved for the first person to find the cache after it's listed on the site. Kinda like when a tribute cache is placed and the honoree goes with a larger group (or by themselves) to find the cache before the public listing is enabled. They aren't really the FTF even though they found it first. Is this too fine a line to draw? If it were my cache, I'd say that the next person to find the cache after it's listed can *also* claim FTF. :ph34r: Maybe what you have there is an FTFPTP -- First to Find Prior to Publication.

Normally, I would agree on the FTF going to the next person but I will draw a fine line on this one.

Everything is in place to be published for all to see but just a slight problem with the location. One the cache owner is not willing to deal with till sometime next year. I had the opportunity to solve a problem as well as get this cache found. I have also been FTF and LTF on the same cache. The cache was in the wrong location in a closed area so I went and removed the cache for the owner and the Feds.

Logscaler.

I was out in California (from the east coast) awhile back and did some caching in the South Lake Tahoe area. One of the caches I found is called "Stateline".

That's a tricky one, isn't it! I was recently in South Lake Tahoe on vacation as well and I went to find that one, but I ended up on the wrong side of the fence -- just because I thought that it looked like it would more likely be over there. It looked to me like the fence was the state line, though, so the cache was definitely in Nevada. I think the 'state' designation on Geocaching.com listings are the value that is chosen by the hider when they fill out the hide-a-cache form. I don't believe that they geocode the coordinates to determine which state the cache is in.

..... Upon further review, the booth rules this "Nevada"! .....

Thanks. Now I won't have to lose a time out.

That cache is "owned" by someone from South Lake Tahoe and appears to be 1 of 19 others published the same day or night before for a geocaching event in January. I suspect that the user id was created specifically for the event. I asked about the CA/NV thing when I posted my log and didn't get a response. I have found that cache owners, and it doesn't seem to matter where they're from, usually respond to questions posted in the logs.

That, frankly, is one of the things I like best about geocaching. As a cache owner or just a finder logging a find often results in a short exchange of email, and perhaps a future face to face meeting of others on the trail or geoevent. Geocaching is more than a high tech hide and seek, but a really easy way to get involved in a community with like interests. I sent email to a cache owner in South Africa the other day asking about his puzzle cache and now there's a possibility we might meet for a beer or something while I'm there for an overnight layover in a couple of weeks on my way to Zambia.

:)February 1 by Logged it anyway (174 found)

had dinner here at the chinese place, again. would have found it if it existed!

"Found" one month after it was archived:

traffic_cone.gifJanuary 2 by Hider (338 found)

1600 hours

I give up

It keeps disappearing,

I think perhaps the gardeners grab it, so {cache name} doesnt live here anymore.

We will find a new place to hide.

Hider