Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Ok I've been made out to be some sort of FAKER or something like somebody who attacks me should be able too. I think this is crap! as you can see I found the lid the cache was smashed and broken, my friend put it out there, I thought he should see the lid of his cache and maybe he would want someone to sort it out. If your gonna quote someones log then quote it, don't change it for your sake. Sorry for the rest of you to read a bunch of self serving crap but I guess this makes someone feel better. IF I'm wrong, cause I didn't find ALL the cache then I'm sorry. I don't need to log things that aren't there to make my ego feel better. I get enough of that at the Hall.

PureCDN

Um:

icon_smile.gif February 1 by FAKEFINDER(92 found)

Found the top only, like OTHERCACHERS said it looks like some locals didn't care about Geocaching I hope that you can rebuild it and maybe hide it where idiots won't trash it.

Your cache log:

February 1 by PureCDN (92 found)

Found the top only, like James and Isabelle said it looks like some locals didn't care about Geocaching I hope that you can rebuild it and maybe hide it where idiots won't trash it.

Other than changing the name, which is standard practice so we don't identify individuals, what was changed? You do understand that until you posted your rant, nobody here really knew or cared who specifically made the post. It's about identifying places where a smiley was posted, even though a person didn't meet the requirements of the cache (find the cache and sign the log, unless there are more specifics).

I suspect that what raised PureCDN's ire was not that his post was, correctly, put anonymously on this thread but that Criminal then went to the actual cache page and posted a note about PureCDN being a fake finder. Personally I think that this is in bad taste. Yes, let's make anonymous comments about fake finders. They are often funny and informative. But pointing out the fake find to person him/herself? I just don't think that this is a good idea. It turns the point of the thread from anonymous humor to chastising the finder. Of course Criminal is entitled to his own opinion and certainly has the right to post notes on cache pages.

I suspect that what raised PureCDN's ire was not that his post was, correctly, put anonymously on this thread but that Criminal then went to the actual cache page and posted a note about PureCDN being a fake finder.

This isn’t entirely accurate. I posted the following:

Fake find added to the 22 page Hall of Shame

There is also a link to the first page of this thread. I did not say who posted the fake find in the log, one would have to read through all 22 pages until they saw their own log.

Usually, though, the person who falsely logged the cache as found when they did not, feels guilty, and assumes it is them I posted about. Then, true to form, they feel hostility at being ‘caught’ and post their hostility here. Think about it, if they didn’t feel guilty, they would not be angry; instead they would come here asking what they did wrong.

icon_smile.gif April 12, 2006 by <removed> (116 found)

icon_smile_sad.gifCalvin and George found what was left of this cache. It had a pencel and key chain at the spot, but all were burnt up and the plastic was just a hard flat blob. We found the led from the pencil and the metal erasor holder and a key ring along with the plastic melt down. There has been a small fire in the grass around the cache, and it made it to This cache. This one will need to be taken down until it can be replaced. This is a nice spot so I hope it will be back up soon. TN/LN TFTH Sorry for the bad news.

Calvin Zippler Aiken SC.

icon_smile.gif April 17, 2006 by <removed> (36 found)

I found the location today, but it had fallen victim to a grass fire. I'm sad about that. I did get a good work out going up and down the sand dunes.

This one actually starts off with "This cache is missing"!

icon_smile.gif April 11, 2002 by <removed> (176 found)

This cache is misssing. We were there about 6:30 pm.

We are going log this as a find. Our GPS put us right on the clump of palms. After 45 minutes of searching we were getting a bit apprehensive about the Border patrol wondering what we were up to. The Audubon Warden came out to investigate our activities. (He was polite, but business-like and packing heat.)After Pioneer Boy explained what Geocaching was, the Warden said, Maybe it's not there. Maybe somebody took it.

Pioneer Boy cheerfully explained that visitors shouldn't take the whole cache... just trade items and enter in the log book. Finally the Warden said, It's not there. The manager removed it; it might be in the office. They are investigating it.

The Warden was nice enough to tell Pioneer Boy that it WAS right where Nature Lady was looking.

Sabal Palm was on our Rio Grande birding circuit. Had a great afternoon watching green jays and olive sparrows. We were going to drop a traveler here, but left it at Bensten Rio instead.

Pioneer Boy and Nature Lady (Michigan)

icon_smile.gif January 20 by Fake#3 (862 found)

Logging with owner's permission. OTHERCACHERS and I found where the cache was located but not all of the cache was there. Interesting park.

[view this log on a separate page]

icon_smile.gif January 20 by FAKE#2(3712 found)

Talked to the owner about this one while at the location. Thanks for the permission to log this as the final find.

icon_smile.gif January 20 by FAKE#1 (18915 found)

Thanks CACHEOWNER for allowing our group this last find.

Really, if you have to ask someone for permission to log it, you didn't really find it now did you? :)

Edited by Criminal

icon_needsmaint.gif January 11 by FAKE1 (167 found)

Please check on this cache. I noticed the last log was about six months ago. There is a new triple barbed wire fence and lots of new no tresspassing signs between points 1 and 2.

icon_smile.gif January 11 by FAKE1 (167 found)

With all due respect to cachers everywhere I am going to log this as a find. I found part 1. The coords were within 5 feet. To get to part two a cacher must now cross a newly erected triple barbed wire fence and pass no tresspassing signs on every third tree from land owners who say that they will prosecute. I can email a picture of the new stone as a log. It is a 30+ mile one way trip from my house and I really don't want to drive it again.

So if I understand this, you cannot log the cache because the final is on private property. Oh well, he tried really hard so the untruthfulness is acceptable. :)

From a cache which requires the logs be mis-spelled:

<_< December 29, 2006 by xxxxxxxXXX (253 found)

six tmis i looked fr tihs cahce fnialy the cahce onwer siad it was msisng and tlod me to log it as a fnid tftc

[disabled] December 29, 2006 by [owner] (6736 found)

Smoe low lfie muglge wlak off whit tihs cahce.

Even spelled wrong, it's logging a find on a cache that you didn't

From a time travel-themed cache:

<_< December 15, 2006 by [xxxx X] (233 found)

I found the Time Machine some time ago before I ever looked at the cache page. Now I'm logging a find after finding it again, as guided by [owner]. The cache container is confirmed MISSING. I've contacted [owner] , and offered to replace/change the cache. Hopefully, you will see a Note logged soon by me to inform you of the cache's re-appearance. Time traveling is fun, but a little hard on cache containers(from our current time period). While off traveling in the Time Machine, I traded some very old samples of paper tickets used on the Light Rail system of 2006 for some 2057 materials that will make an excellent cache container.

[disabled] December 15, 2006 by [owner] (1287 found)

The cache container is missing. I will have this cache replaced soon. If a note appears soon from [xxxx X] saying he replaced the cache for me, go ahead and proceed with your geosearch and log if found, even if this cache in still in a disabled status. I will enable the listing as soon as I get back. I am currently on the planet Venus working on a new cache.

Permission to boost your find count... granted.

Replaced the missing cache with a...styrofoam cup (and logged a find!!!!):

<_< November 5, 2006 by [xxxxxx] (2090 found)

Visiting the area for my neice's soccer game. Was working off an old cache page and found the attachment only. Left a new log inside a styrofoam cup that I found nearby. The area directly under the cache site could definitely use some clean up. Thanks.

[disabled] October 27, 2006 by [owner] (15 found)

ugh, AGAIN my cache was stolen.

well it was good while it lasted....

i'll see what i can do about putting a new one up.

ugh, AGAIN my cache was stolen.

well it was good while it lasted....

i'll see what i can do about putting a new one up.

Well at least he doesn't have to worry about replacing his cache. There is now a styrofoam cup there with a slip of paper in it. How thoughtful!

icon_smile.gif September 5, 2006 by FAKEFINDER (570 found)

Well, sort of found it. I located the cache site without difficulty, a really nice drive in an area that reflects a slower, calmer more peaceful culture that we left behind 100 years ago.

As I drove by there was a farmer and his wife repairing the fence by the cache, so I drove on to see the community farming center, horses, carriages and horse drawn farming equipement. As it was Monday, they were not selling bread and stuff, they do that ONLY on Fridays.

Upon returning to the cache site, I located the hint object and at it's base the "empty" space surrounded by broken asphalt pieces! They had muggled the container.

I carry 'spares' and repair stuff in my Jeep, so I left a new container, consisting of a green waterproof match container with a fresh log inside.

txrancher

:(

Five DNFs and one Needs Maint, then this:

icon_smile.gif June 5, 2006 by FAKEFINDERS (64 found)

I VOTE THAT IT IS GONE LOOKED FOR AN HR WITH TWO OTHERS. NO

CACHE FOUND I LISTED IT AS FOUND TO GET IT OFF MY LIST.

At least they were honest about their dishonesty :P

Five DNFs and one Needs Maint, then this:

icon_smile.gif June 5, 2006 by FAKEFINDERS (64 found)

I VOTE THAT IT IS GONE LOOKED FOR AN HR WITH TWO OTHERS. NO

CACHE FOUND I LISTED IT AS FOUND TO GET IT OFF MY LIST.

Voting! That's a great idea!

Perhaps there should be a poll button on each description page where you can vote for whether or not you think that cache is really there. And if the voting crosses some threshold the cache gets automatically archived!

Or not.

Perhaps there should be a poll button on each description page where you can vote for whether or not you think that cache is really there. And if the voting crosses some threshold the cache gets automatically archived!

Or not.

Sure as we do someone will contest the votes, there will have to be 3 recounts, and it will end up with the US Supreme Court to decide.

Found it! September 24, 2005 by xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (2042 found)

Found the site of the cache but no container. Replaced container with camoed pouch. T.F.T.H.

Found it! December 21, 2006 by xxxxxxxx(1602 found)

DNF.REPLACED CACHE.35MM.

Found it! January 20 by xxxxxxxx (1040 found)

Verified with owner that this one is missing! Owner gave permission to log this one before cache is archived.

Found it! January 20 by xxxxxxxx(60 found)

xxxx verified with owner that this one is missing! Owner gave permission to log this one before cache is archived.

While funny in parts, I find this thread kind of sad. I really don't care if other people mark no finds as finds. That, in and of itself, is not a big deal. I also seem to need to re-stock the cache I placed because the contents disappear. No biggie. But in the bigger picture, it kind of is a bigger deal. If these people are bending the rules over such trivial and meaningless things, then how often are they bending the rules when it does matter? Are these the same people who don't give the cashier back the extra change their given? Finders keepers, sure, but somebody ends up paying for that kind of overhead. What about their taxes? Am I covering for them because they're not paying their share? I may be taking a leap here but it feels sometimes like there is a bit of a lack of responsibility and morality that just cuts the edges a little bit but when it all adds up it can be substantial. Sorry if I got a little too serious, but this has been kind of bugging me lately.

icon_disabled.gif March 6 by CACHEOWNER (47 found)

I will check this out and see what's going on...I may have to relocated the cache to a different area if muggles might be a problem!

icon_smile.gif March 5 by FAKE3 (119 found)

Found cache holder, but no container or log. ??? Obviously needs attention again. Thanks!

icon_enabled.gif February 28 by CACHEOWNER (47 found)

I have placed a new container!

icon_note.gif February 19 by CACHEOWNER (47 found)

I am having to rebuild the cache container. Anyone who had done the this cache before can tell you that it is not a run of the mill container and it is taking more time than I thought. It will be well worth the wait so please allow me more time.

Thanks

big_smile.gif February 19 by REVIEWER (474 found)

Please post a note to let us know your current plan for putting this cache back into play.

Thank you.

icon_note.gif January 19 by CACHEOWNER (47 found)

Got you note!

Just a quick update I have had to rebuild the cache container all over and I just need to put a few touches on it and I will have it completed. Hopefully the cache will be back up with in the next week or so.

big_smile.gif January 19 by REVIEWER (474 found)

Hi, CACHEOWNER.

Thank you for placing THECACHE with the waypoint number GCKXXX. Unfortunately, it has been inactive for a significant amount of time. The expectation is for cache pages that have been inactivated due to maintenance concerns to be reactivated or archived within a few weeks unless special circumstances are noted.

Please let me know your plans for it within the next ten days. You may contact me by placing a note on this cache page (preferred) or through my profile.

Please include the cache waypoint GCKXXX with your correspondence.

Thank you.

-REIEWER

geocaching.com volunteer reviewer

icon_smile.gif November 14, 2006 by FAKE2 (14 found)

Found the site. Located part of the cache. However as you said the container is missing. The rest is still there. Thanks for the hide. Chris

icon_disabled.gif September 9, 2006 by CACHEOWNER (47 found)

AARRRR Avast my cache has been stolen...I will get it back up shortly!

icon_smile.gif September 1, 2006 by FAKE1 (76 found)

Q: Why are pirate caches so fun? A: Just because they ARRRR....... Well... I am pretty sure I found part of it. I am almost certain I was in the right place, but I fear that some rounder absconded with most of the container.

Thanks.

Why bother replacing the container? Just let them lie about it!

I also had a couple of German Cachers log my "High on a Windy Hill" GC9C5F. They did send me the correct answers. In checking I found they had logged a lot of caches all over the US and other countries on the same day. I did delete their finds and sent them a e-mail explaining why. I rewrote the requirements that could be found on the

internet and included a note that I would delete any "armchair finds". Haven't had any problems since. The virtual is in the Olympic

National Park at Hurricane Ridge a very senic place. Dick, W7WT

While funny in parts, I find this thread kind of sad. I really don't care if other people mark no finds as finds. That, in and of itself, is not a big deal. I also seem to need to re-stock the cache I placed because the contents disappear. No biggie. But in the bigger picture, it kind of is a bigger deal. If these people are bending the rules over such trivial and meaningless things, then how often are they bending the rules when it does matter? Are these the same people who don't give the cashier back the extra change their given? Finders keepers, sure, but somebody ends up paying for that kind of overhead. What about their taxes? Am I covering for them because they're not paying their share? I may be taking a leap here but it feels sometimes like there is a bit of a lack of responsibility and morality that just cuts the edges a little bit but when it all adds up it can be substantial. Sorry if I got a little too serious, but this has been kind of bugging me lately.

You are absolutely correct. Usually the BIG things start as little things. When you start justifying lying whether it white or black, it becomes a slippery slope. At least that's what my parents taught me. I've had friends whose parents have taught them that it's okay to lie sometimes, I guess we can be thankful that we had decent parental units.

I also had a couple of German Cachers log my "High on a Windy Hill" GC9C5F. They did send me the correct answers. In checking I found they had logged a lot of caches all over the US and other countries on the same day. I did delete their finds and sent them a e-mail explaining why. I rewrote the requirements that could be found on the

internet and included a note that I would delete any "armchair finds". Haven't had any problems since. The virtual is in the Olympic

National Park at Hurricane Ridge a very senic place. Dick, W7WT

On the virtuals I have, I tried to make it things that you absolutely couldn't know unless you were actually there. If the info I asked for ever appeared on the Internet, I'd change the question. The point is to bring people to see something cool, not build your find count from Google!

:ph34r: March 12 by FAKERS(194 found)

Talked to OWNER at tonights cachers meeting, he confirmed that the cache has been muggled again. I explained the spots that we have looked and the fact that we would have found it had it not been muggled, so we received permission to log this cache. TFTH - several times.

icon_smile.gifMarch 16 by CACHER (448 found)

Cache, what cache? Hey what can I say. I went out to search for this with Mr. XXXX tonight, and even with a call to the cachemiester, we still could not locate it. Judging by the location, I'd say the local kids got it.

Uh, if the kids got the cache, what are you claiming a find on exactly? :o

To be fair, this looks like a case of user error, meant to select DNF but selected Found It instead.

EDIT: My hunch was right, the log was an innocent error.

Edited by Criminal

Sign anything at GZ

:D March 18 by XXXXXXXXXXX (2640 found)

Stopped by on our way back to Redmond, OR from Svenson, OR. Signed the back of a ransom note. Someone has taken the cache and left a note that they are holding it for $20 ransom. Ransom is to be deposited by 3-24-07 in order to have the cache back on 3-25-07. May want to check this out and relocate cache. Found note behind a piece of bark at base of tree. Sorry about that

Signed the back of a ransom note. Someone has taken the cache and left a note that they are holding it for $20 ransom. Ransom is to be deposited by 3-24-07 in order to have the cache back on 3-25-07.

RANSOM NOTE! okay, this is one case where I think signing the note and going on as if the @#$%& who took that cache doesn't exist is EXACTLY the right thing to do. Pay no attention and pay no ransom. Sign the note, enjoy the cache and keep going. Never give @#$%& the satisfaction of disrupting the game in the slightest way.

If carrying any kind of container, I'd recontainer the ransom note (container, log) and keep on smiling....

and email the cache owner, obviously...

Edited by Isonzo Karst

:rolleyes: March 21 by Cacher (214 found)

Wow, Found it but too many Muggles standing around watching...It was like a muggle convention and I was the main event!

Will sign log next time I am in town.

Then why dont they just claim this as a find the next time they are in town??

Edited by Lehigh Mafia
:D February 26 by CACHERNAME. (2022 found)

THIS CACHE IS IN SOMEONES YARD I DROVE BY SEVERAL TIMES BUT JUST NOT MY BAG I AM SURE THE ROSES ARE VERY COOL BUT NOT THIS TIME OF YEAR DID NOT LOG THE CACHE BUT I WAS THERE CACHE ON CACHERNAME.

Isn't that cool? We don't have to look for, find, see, or even touch a cache to log a find! I guess that means I can change all of my DNFs to finds because I drove by them! Maybe I'll stop reading cache pages too, so I can be surprised despite the cache being exactly as described. :cry:

Edited by Keystone
icon_smile.gif December 23, 2006 by FAKEFINDER(1616 found)

was in town with OTHERCACHER today. to clean out the other caches in the park. I went to stage one and got the coords for the final but. as we our way to GZ OTHERCACHER who had found the cache previously confirmed where he found it. and it was definatly not there.

Upon returning home I discovered that CACHEOWNER had removed the cache for maintenance. I had e-mailed the owner and he is going to allow me the find on this one.

Both of us had on our rubber boots to get to this one.

TFTC

TFTC? You should be thanking the cache owner for allowing you to lie when you selected Found It, since you didn't find it.

icon_sad.gifDecember 29, 2006 by Honestcacher (138 found) DNF. Went to the posted coordinants and there seemed to be only one possibility. We have found caches in these locations before... and we could find none here...

:D December 29, 2006 by Phony (32 found)

Great spot but nothing was there.

:o December 28, 2006 by Baloney (156 found)

I found the site but the cache is gone.

Hmmmmmm

As a reminder, this thread works better if posters change the names of the people whose logs are quoted. There's no purpose served by using their real names or linking to their profiles. See the two posts above by Criminal and briansnat for examples of how this thread has operated over the years.

Thanks.

Sign anything at GZ

:huh: March 18 by XXXXXXXXXXX (2640 found)

Stopped by on our way back to Redmond, OR from Svenson, OR. Signed the back of a ransom note. Someone has taken the cache and left a note that they are holding it for $20 ransom. Ransom is to be deposited by 3-24-07 in order to have the cache back on 3-25-07. May want to check this out and relocate cache. Found note behind a piece of bark at base of tree. Sorry about that

People keep signing the ransom note.. hmmm

:laughing: March 22 by YYYYYYYYY (415 found)

Found the hide with ZZZ. Signed the back of the ransom note... Yo OWNER, You should want me to ask my cousin Guido to negotiate with the muggle?

:huh::laughing:

Well people keep going on and on about how finders have got to sign *SOMETHING* at the cache for it to count as a find. Personally, I think it's great and incredibly funny that they're signing the ransom note! Looks like it meets the minimum criteria of a find: go to coords, find container, sign something, replace container, log find online. Plus it kinda has the "we will not negotiate with terrorists" feel.

I wonder if we could get that guys cousin Guido to do some of the negotiation with other stuff... :laughing:

March 26 by FAKEFINDER (173 found)

I am claiming this as a LTF (last to find). We parked in the parking lot and walked slowly down to the area where the cache WAS. As we approached the site a man came out of the building just south of the fountain and hurridly came down to where we were and identified himself as the Property Manager and asked us what we were looking for. We told him that we were on sort of a scavenger hunt and were looking for a small item. He told us that it wasn't there because he had thrown it away for the second time. That 1. It was on Private Property, 2. People were parking in the street and obstructing traffic, and 3. There was 480 Volts of electricity in there. We told him that we were sorry and would advise the persons that had placed it there.

Found where it was does not equal Found It.

First or last to find, it's still a lie.

Sign anything at GZ

:blink: March 18 by XXXXXXXXXXX (2640 found)

People keep signing the ransom note.. hmmm

:o March 22 by YYYYYYYYY (415 found)

Found the hide with ZZZ. Signed the back of the ransom note... Yo OWNER, You should want me to ask my cousin Guido to negotiate with the muggle?

It looks like the log was still there. It was the container that was being held for ransom

:( March 25 by AAAAAAAAA (661 found)

12:14 pm, another log find. Family met up from XX, YY, ZZ, and AAAAAAA since Dad was down from CITY, and we went to SOMEPLACE service this morning.

After the service some went shopping, so my dad, my niece's fiance, and I took my dog to this park. I hadn't planned on it, so all I had was the waypoint in my GPS.

I could recognize the cache location from 100 feet, but they couldn't see anything.

It turns out that the only thing left in the hiding spot was the cache log with some cache log in notes and someone saying they were holding the cache container for ransom. I'm glad the log was still there for me to sign.

B) March 29 by CRAPPY CACHHER (xxx found)

This is my wierd log of the month. Been here twice, both times right afer the muggles. So I am virtual logging by permission of OWNER. I had the spot, actually lingered at the location. Its unclaimed log calling me. So I am putting this demon to rest. Thanks OWNER!

Here's my 2 cents worth. If you can see the cache. From car, where you are standing whatever but for whatever reason cannot get to the cache I have no problem with logging it as found. Just be honest in your log.Even if you didn't phyically touuch it you did find it.

But people who log caches that have not been found cause problems for both the owners and other caches. Owners tend to look at DNF logs to see if a cache might need maintanance or is missing

icon_smile.gif November 17, 2006 by SSS(2895 found)

When we were here on the 14th it was almost Dark when we got to the Final,and didn't have a Light with us,so figured we may have Missed in the Dark Hole.We checked with XX and confirmed the Spot was right,today we Stopped back by and Looked again and it is indeed MIA.Hope it gets Replaced it was a Fun Cache to Do,Thanks for filling an afternoon of something to do.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
icon_smile.gif April 2 by FAKEFINDER (269 found)

Avec la permission du propiétaire MErci beaucoup de votre comprréhensions Yannick et Maude en cie de

They even pretend in Quebec!

Edited by Criminal
FTF HOUND found MY CACHE (Traditional Cache)

[:laughing:][:rolleyes:]FTF[:unsure:][:laughing:] We found where the cache was suppose to be but it was MIA. How does [the cacher] know where the cache is suppose to be you ask yourself? Found where the pen was attached but definately no cache. Hmmm. . .it got muggled before anyone even found it? So we replaced the container and log on a temporary basis until the owner can fix this one. P.S. When you stand up don't bang your head. Signed log, left container took a bump on the head.

Heh heh heh ... the pen is the container ;-)

-eP

PS: The cacher did retract her FTF log when presented with the evidence.

Edited by ePeterso2
FTF HOUND found MY CACHE (Traditional Cache)

:laughing::rolleyes: FTF :unsure::laughing: We found where the cache was suppose to be but it was MIA. How does [the cacher] know where the cache is suppose to be you ask yourself? Found where the pen was attached but definately no cache. Hmmm. . .it got muggled before anyone even found it? So we replaced the container and log on a temporary basis until the owner can fix this one. P.S. When you stand up don't bang your head. Signed log, left container took a bump on the head.

Heh heh heh ... the pen is the container ;-)

-eP

PS: The cacher did retract her FTF log when presented with the evidence.

Hey! It took me two tries to find that cache! (Oh, it was a different 'the log is inside the pen' cache. It was the velcro that threw me off. :blink:) Then again, I logged it as a DNF.

icon_smile.gif March 13 by FAKEFINDER (126 found)

Went to this location on the hopes it was up and running again. No such luck the attachement was still there and appears that nothing has been done to fix it. Nice area and lots of other hiding places for caches.

Wouldn't that be a DNF? :ph34r:

April 3 by cacherxyz (1188 found)

Third geocache targeted for the day. Found the bobcat, found the homeless camp, found the homeless, found the road construction, found the construction people, and found the string that the cache was attached to. Forgot the super halogen lighting back at the motel. With it I am sure we would have found the cache way down there.

TFTH Took: Nothing Left: Fingerprints

Even if they could see the cache way down the pvc pipe there would be no way to retrieve it and sign the log, but I guess they don't even need that to claim a find.

BS, one of my all-time favorites also.

Here you go, all from the same cache, in chronological order:

<snip>

Three people posted DNFs and one posted a note in the middle of all this. It seems there was another cache like this, too.. I'll see if I can dig that one up.

Oh.. I ran into the image-limit per post. (10) so I had to replace them with regular smileys. :o

Jamie

:laughing: ...and therein lies the problem. Once you've been to several caches where 1) The owner has broken all the rules for placing caches, 2) Another cacher has temporarily completely removed the cache from the vicinity for whatever reason, and/or 3) The owner has not verified a cache despite numerous DNFs, one starts to get frustrated and suspicious. :huh:

The challenge should be mental, not physical. If numerous people can see exactly where the cache is, but can't get to it because 1) It is physically impossible to get to by anyone but a contortionist/acrobat, :lol: 2) It is in such a public and/or crowded place that it is impossible to retrieve unobserved (which means that sooner or later it WILL be plundered), :lol: 3) Conditions are such that searchers will risk destroying clothing and/or sustaining injury if they attempt to retrieve the cache, :o and/or 4) the location can only be accessed during limited hours or searchers must trespass in order to retrieve it, :huh: then you are completely flauting the rules and the spirit of the sport.

"Creative" and "tricky" hides are simply euphemisms for "I deliberately didn't actually place the cache anywhere near the coordinates" and "every single bit of information in the description is either a red herring or an outright lie". :anitongue: About that pen cache: if the person found the pen, then they obviously DID find the cache, so the fact that the log was inside is irrelevant. The seeker DID find the cache, and the owner is a major arrogant moron for claiming otherwise.

In actual fact, if your description, clues, and coordinates are truthful, very few people will post DNFs or claim finds when they didn't. On the other hand, if you are deliberately misleading searchers, you are NOT testing their intelligence or ability. What you *are* testing is their capacity for tolerating BS.

icon_smile.gifApril 9 by fakefinder2 (22 found)

Went out with fakefinder1 yesterday to find cache. We came across the red brick but the cache was missing.

icon_smile.gif April 9 by fakefinder1 (53 found)

Didn't actually find the container, but found the red brick and the cavity the container was in once. Taking this as a find with fakefinder2 because of the footwork and the brick. Too bad it's gone. Probably some kids hunting during easter last weekend.

:laughing::anitongue::lol:

icon_sad.gif February 18 by On UpandUp (364 found)

I wish I had read the logs before I stopped at this one. The snow prpbably did not help. It was a little slippery so, we decided no cut our hunt short.

:unsure: January 21 by Phony Baloney (539 found)

Think I found the remains of the cache holding mechanism, so I did not look around anymore.

icon_sad.gif January 7 by Truthteller (56 found)

Only DNF of the day. Usually don't write about my DNF's since I don't have a GPS and I really shouldn't be complaining when I can't find caches. I figured I'd mention this one, however, since I just wanna put out a warning to other cachers. This area is very steep and can be moderately dangerous even when its not wet. Be careful -I heard one dog already fell in. Will have to try again once I get a GPS. TFTH anyway ED634, and thanks for your other two caches that I did find.

icon_sad.gif January 1 by Honest One (12 found)

couldn't find this cache we were very disappointed