Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Here's a scenario for a high number cacher that seems rather odd:

Nov 16 - 46 caches in Minnesota.

Nov 17 - total of 31 caches - 30 caches in Minnesota and 1 cache in Utah.

Nov 18 - total of 76 caches - 48 in Minnesota, 27 in North Dakota, and 1 in South Dakota.

Wait a minute. Look at those again. Minnesota area on Nov 16, Minnesota area on Nov 17 except to fly to Utah to log 1 cache, then fly back to Minnesota area again on Nov 18?

Who the hell cares, let alone goes searching all over the country for logs like this?

I get a kick out of all the people who spend time monitoring this thread and periodically chime in to chastize, scorn and belittle the participants. Why do they care so much about what is being discussed here?

For me? It's like watching a trainwreck! Not fun, but oddly mesmerizing. :mad:

It is a very, very, very long train. Eventually it's possible to get tired of watching it pass by, and you do a U-turn at the train crossing, and take another route to your destination. But the good news is, if you want to see the train again, you can stop by later as the train seems to run on a very regular and frequent schedule.

Not sure that I understand this one. For an earthcache...

November 15 by (Reviewer) Published.

October 8 by LLLLLL Thanks for the geology lesson

October 8 by VVVVV Thanks for the tour

Reviewer hosts an event, and a month later publishes an earthcache at a nearby location. Two of the people who attended the event log the cache.

I've missed something here. Was the cache in the reviewer's pocket?!? We can prefind caches???

Okay, so it doesn't fit the category Found It = Didn't Find It. Found it = Won't be hidden for over a month

Prescience? Or can I attend the event a month later? I'm befuzzled.

It also could be that the cache was already listed on Waymarking (they were for about a year or so). They're all being moved back to GC, and people are being encouraged to relog their finds on the GC "migrated" earthcaches.

On the other paw, if it's a brand new one, I'm with you. :P

It is a very, very, very long train. Eventually it's possible to get tired of watching it pass by, and you do a U-turn at the train crossing, and take another route to your destination. But the good news is, if you want to see the train again, you can stop by later as the train seems to run on a very regular and frequent schedule.

Yes, this is the train that never ends...

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that the cache owner is posting multiple logs on their own archived cache?

Do repeats increase the smiley count?

Wow!

Yes

Yes

Indeed

Sept 5 2005 entry pretty much sums it all up.

Difficulity 3 1/2????? Maybe a 5...... Found only after 2 calls for hints. Wow, some people are really sick. LOL SL TFTC
Edited by v-hunter

Here's one I found while planning a caching trip:

:( November 24 by xxxx (4178 found)

Checked with yyyy, who had found this one already, and it is, indeed, gone. I put a micro in the same spot for people to sign until the owner replaces it. Nice excuse to come thru this quaint town. Xmas lights on tonite. TFTC!

ummm, ok

While browsing caches, I came across an odd entry on a virtual cache by a visitor from overseas who was only finding virtual caches. So I checked their list of finds:

-- three finds yesterday on physical caches in The Netherlands

-- four finds Saturday on virtual caches in Arkansas and Oklahoma

-- finds on Friday for virtual caches in New York, Oklahoma, Ireland, Florida, California

-- finds on Thursday for virtual caches in Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas and Texas

One HAS to admire this team's dedication in hopping from airport to airport, or perhaps even having their own private jet to visit these virtual cache sites. :laughing: These are not "armchair" caches, but rather real virtual objects with verification requirements.

Each cache is logged with a one-liner like "Thank you for the cache. We are very happy! Best wishes from [hometown]."

At least one cache owner on this list of "finds" has done their job to police a virtual cache for bogus logs:

traffic_cone.gifDecember 4 by Cache Owners (150 found)

Time to bring this one to a close. Found out the text of the marker is on the internet, so many of the log entries are bogus.

I can actually explain this particular situation and, I think, how it came to pass. Gather round kids:

The owner of the now-archived cache (found at the link Criminal provided above) has a history of hiding caches with coordinates that are, let me say, loose. When I found one of those caches I would take a waypoint, add it to my online log, and describe how far off my GPSr read. At least three times my online log was deleted without my being contacted to edit my entry. Upon being contacted the cache owner said that I needed to edit my "negative" entries.

Thinking that my online log was a record of my actual experiences, and since my actual experiences included a GPS reading that was way off, I logged them again using the same language. Again deleted. After an exchange of emails I decided to log this cache owner's caches using the non-judgmental ".". No more and no less. After some other unpleasantness in the area -- don't ask, don't tell -- I deleted all of my online logs for this cacher's caches (and those of two other cachers in the area) and logged the exact same language on one of my archived caches. [see the archived cache I am using here.] [i'm not proud of all my entries here, but I was once young and foolish. I am now older and foolish.] Apparently this cacher has done the same thing with his finds on my caches.

Now the above is definitely childish -- on both of our parts -- but I see nothing wrong with the practice. It keeps our Find count accurate and we both, apparently, think we are getting one up on the other. As we all know, there are always two sides to a story but I have tried to be reasonably objective in this post and just explain what is happening. (If anyone wants copies of vitriolic emails from some cachers in my area, let me know...)

Slightly off-topic but the above-referenced cacher's newest cache now contains the following cache page text:

Logs that are only symbols, icons, or punctuation marks are not acceptable logs and will be deleted. The Cache Owner reserves the right to delete Any log for Any reason due to the way some cachers have chosen to play this game.

I would comment on the suppression of free speech, but that would be OT.

So I think that his finds on his archived cache are real finds; he has just chosen to record them in a less-typical place. (As have I for his caches.)

I got a little wordy, but I hope the situation is now understood by those who come across it. I know why I am doing what I am doing, and am fine with my actions. Now those other cachers... <_<

It's too bad we can't do much about the owners who delete logs when the alternate coordinates are posted, except community pressure.... but that probably won't work since those type of people are probably bit on the anti-social side.

If I were to keep account of my deleted finds (which I don't do now), I'd also mention the waypoint in the logs as a matter of record, since they are viewable by the public. This way, not only do the logs look more legitimate, the curious will check out the waypoint and see what's REALLY going on. :mad:

Back on topic. I visited a cache and after I signed the log and logged my find, another person claimed to have visited the day before, although the last entry was more than 2 weeks ago. Let's hope it's an accounting error because I didn't see his signature in the log book. :santa:

I can actually explain this particular situation and, I think, how it came to pass. Gather round kids:

I must have a stubborn streak. If it were me, I would make it part of my daily routine to copy/paste my log over and over and over and over….

Sooner or later someone would give in, and it wouldn’t be me.

I may wind up going back to this. I just found the cache with the non-icon, non-symbol, non-punctuation mark provision and plan on quoting from the Bill of Rights.

Someone got this right and it wasn't the guy with 2251 "finds".

:surprise: January 2 by GGGGG (2251 found)

From the past logs, I know that I found your hide but the container is missing. There is nothing at the end of the chain, bummer.....

icon_remove.gif December 30, 2005 by JJJJJJJJ (124 found)

Finally flew back into SLC. My son wanted to come and log this cache so we headed over at night to check it out. Dark and nobody around, great. Moved the grate and pulled the chain up to find nothing. Did not have a flashlight to see below if it fell or if muggles or officials came and removed it. May want to check on this one and see if it is below or not. I'm already back in Arizona or I would go back with a flashlight. Sorry

icon_smile.gif August 19 by Nxxxx (114 found)

We found the velcro but no cache... Will try again sometime.

icon_smile.gifAugust 24 by Sxxxx(163 found)

Found it but only if you consider a velcro strip a cache. The site is overlooked by some very expensive houses and it might have been Muggled.

Lovely spot, how the other half live eh!!

icon_smile.gifSeptember 5 by fxxxx (209 found)

Like previous cachers, I am logging the strip of velcro.

icon_smile.gifSeptember 5 by Gxxxx (261 found)

Was there with fxxxx- also logging the velcro.

icon_needsmaint.gifSeptember 20 by Cxxx (392 found)

No container,; needs some help.

icon_smile.gifSeptember 30 by 8xxx(147 found)

Logging the velcro... no log or container?? It is a lovely place, so thanks for the hide. You could consider making this a virtural cache, with information from the big marker. Thanks for the cache.

icon_smile.gifOctober 29 by Bxxx (1210 found)

Found the velcro, no cache. We think it's gone. Contacted the owner and he said we could log this as a find. Thanks!

icon_disabled.gifNovember 6 by Ixxx(67 found)

Sorry, this cache has gone "missing" but I will replace ASAP.

icon_smile.gifNovember 12 by lxxx (301 found)

After doing xxx #1 and #2, I was really looking forward to #3 as well. DOH! I had mapped out my ....route before this one went missing and joined the 'velcro gang'! Send a couple of pictures to owner and he graciously gave me permission to log the find. Thanks, xxxx!

big_smile.gifDecember 16 by pxxxx(15 found)

Any update on this?

If you plan on repairing this cache, please log a note to the cache page so the caching community can be aware of your intentions. Thanks.

Although allowing finds on velcro is the owner's perogative, it confuses the issue of whether there is actually a cache present. A cache is a container and log.

big_smile.gifDecember 16 by pxxxx(15 found)

Any update on this?

If you plan on repairing this cache, please log a note to the cache page so the caching community can be aware of your intentions. Thanks.

Although allowing finds on velcro is the owner's perogative, it confuses the issue of whether there is actually a cache present. A cache is a container and log.

How is allowing finds on Velcro the owners perogative? Last I saw the guidelines REQUIRE a logbook!

:) November 27 by XXXXX (569 found)

Thanks CACHEOWNER for the opportunity to log this one as a smiley. I couldn't believe it either that the entire hiding place was muggled. Wow!!! I Enjoy searching for your caches. I hope you never experience one like this again.

[view this log on a separate page]

icon_disabled.gifNovember 19 by CACHEOWNER (389 found)

dang!!!

now thats dirty !

okay , well i'll see if i can relocate , otherwise she may be splitzvile.

thanks to all who visted.

icon_sad.gifNovember 19 by XXXXX (569 found)

I hate to tell you CACHEOWNER, but the cache is not there and the entire clothing box it was attached to is now gone as well. Jeez!

Logs it correctly as a DNF, then gets permission to call it a find. :)

Edited by Criminal

:ph34r: November 27 by XXXXX (569 found)

Thanks CACHEOWNER for the opportunity to log this one as a smiley. I couldn't believe it either that the entire hiding place was muggled. Wow!!! I Enjoy searching for your caches. I hope you never experience one like this again.

dang!!!

now thats dirty !

I hate to tell you CACHEOWNER, but the cache is not there and the entire clothing box it was attached to is now gone as well. Jeez!

Logs it correctly as a DNF, then gets permission to call it a find. <_<

lets get one thing straight . i dont give two turds about you and your uptight friends problems with how i run my cache.

every week i check all my caches logs in respect to the online log and any true " fake " logs are deleated .i would never allow a log on just velcro , i would never allow a log on " i think i was close " ... this however was another case .

the person who let me know the whole location had been muggled doesnt live in my area and i decided that since he helped me out by telling me the haps that i would let him be the final finder . it was my choice and i made it , gotta a problem , go tell your mom not me .

i will be deleating you un-needed log and would hope you get some help for your anal tendencies ( and maybe find something better to do with your time ) .

thank you and merry merry.

remember , geocaching is supposed a way to have fun , no need to ruin it because your a sad person . there seems to be a bigger problem here then people logging things incorrectly ... seems some of us want to make ourselves feel better ( about a game !!! ) by being jerks .

have at it , tis a sad existance

p.s. if anyone in Atlanta finds a stray clothing donation box with a micro cache attached to the bottom let me know , i may let you log it (just dont tell the cache nazis) !

Edited by claud4

<_< November 27 by XXXXX (569 found)

dang!!!

now thats dirty !

Logs it correctly as a DNF, then gets permission to call it a find. :ph34r:

lets get one thing straight . i dont give two turds about you and your uptight friends problems with how i run my cache.

every week i check all my caches logs in respect to the online log and any true " fake " logs are deleated .i would never allow a log on just velcro , i would never allow a log on " i think i was close " ... this however was another case .

the person who let me know the whole location had been muggled doesnt live in my area and i decided that since he helped me out by telling me the haps that i would let him be the final finder . it was my choice and i made it , gotta a problem , go tell your mom not me .

i will be deleating you un-needed log and would hope you get some help for your anal tendencies ( and maybe find something better to do with your time ) .

thank you and merry merry.

remember , geocaching is supposed a way to have fun , no need to ruin it because your a sad person . there seems to be a bigger problem here then people logging things incorrectly ... seems some of us want to make ourselves feel better ( about a game !!! ) by being jerks .

have at it , tis a sad existance

p.s. if anyone in Atlanta finds a stray clothing donation box with a micro cache attached to the bottom let me know , i may let you log it (just dont tell the cache nazis) !

Grammatically, I’m stunned. However, for future reference, you’ll find a shift key on the left and right side of your keyboard. Oh, and you + are = you’re, not your.

The person did not find the cache, which I applaud you for admitting. You then directed him or her to select Found It from the selections in the drop down box on the cache page, which is untruthful. By actively endorsing this untruthfulness, you set a poor example for geocachers everywhere. While you are free to allow or delete any log you like from your cache, the purpose of this thread is to point out times when people mistakenly log Found It when they did not, or are allowed to tell a lie by the cache owner in order to obtain another smiley. I have fulfilled my obligation to this thread. You did, nevertheless, abandon your anonymity by posting your objection. Feel free to tell your mom that.

Yes, it is a game. It’s a particularly simple and silly game as games go. The simple and silly game we all play relies on the honor system. There is no honor in lying or guiding someone else to lie.

The smiley means the cache was found, it is not a reward.

thanks for your concern for my typing skills . im sure if you try can find a few other things that are not up to your standards . i have always thought that OCD must be hard to live with .

however , i am sorry for the wording in the last post .

and i kinda see what your saying , but come one , why care ?

i suppose what i was most upset about was the audacity of someone to post on my cache page , what THEY think . i do not care . play in the thread all you want .

anyway , have fun kids .

sorry again.

Edited by claud4

thanks for your concern for my typing skills . im sure if you try can find a few other things that are not up to your standards . i have always thought that OCD must be hard to live with .

however , i am sorry for the wording in the last post .

and i kinda see what your saying , but come one , why care ?

i suppose what i was most upset about was the audacity of someone to post on my cache page , what THEY think . i do not care . play in the thread all you want .

anyway , have fun kids .

sorry again.

Whoa wait a minute. Who told you about the OCD?

I posted it, that doesn't necessarily mean I care. <_<

<_< January 30, 2004 by XXXXXXXXXXXXX (3xx found)

Did not know that "lake" even existed, bushwhacked from that point to the co-ordinates thinking that there must be a better way, there was!! The final cache sight was a disappointment as we found the garbage bag with know contents! The container has gone missing and the bag left!

The arduous hike was still well worth it, hopefully the XXXXXXXXXX will replace the cache. Thanks for a good one guys!

The XXXXXXXXXXXXX and the XXXXXXXXXXXXX worked together on this one! TNLN!

And

:ph34r: January 30, 2004 by XXXXXXXXXXXX (2XXX found)

NOTE: **********THIS CACHE IS MISSING!**********

Joined up with the Team Leader of the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for the day and we bushwhacked up the side of this hill (Took the trail down... How we missed it is still a mystery!) At the cache site we located a garbage bag and some rocks and the dead tree... but nothing else. I was certain my partner-in-caching was gonna uproot the whole mountain but there was nothing else to be found. Sad...

T: The Garbage Bag (CITO)

L: Nothing.

Then

:wub: September 28, 2005 by XXXXXXXXXXX (2xx found)

Sorry to say XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX but you missed it. I found right where it was supposed to be. Under a dead pine in some rocks.

Better luck next time.

Thanks XXXXXXXXXX FOR THE GREAT HIKE IT TOOK ME AN HOUR FROM START TO FINISH. ALTHOUGH YOU'LL SOON BE ABLE TO DRIVE WITHIN 500 METERS JUDGING FROM THE BULLDOZED ROAD AND SURVEY MARKERS. THIS AREA IS SOON TO JOIN THE UPPER CLASS SUBURBIA OF XXXXXXXX. ALTHOUGH THE CACHE SHOULD BE OK IT SEEMS TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TAGS THAT SAY PARK. (UNLESS ITS GOING TO BE A PARKING LOT. SEE THIS CACHE NOW BEFORE THE AREA IS ALL HOUSES. MY ONLY REGRET TODAY WAS THE FOG. THERE MUST BE A GREAT VIEW. OF COURSE THAT COULD BE WHY I FOUND IT AND XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX DIDN'T. I WASN'T DISTRACTED BY THE BEAUTY.

TFTH TNLNSL

I have seen the log book for this cache and all the people who have found it before and since the first 2 claims are in it..... Strange how some people need the smiley

More Velcro Finds!

last real find of a damaged cache:

:huh: September 26 by ttt(2663 found)

Found pieces and parts of this one on the concrete and couldn't get it to stay put were we thought it belonged. Probably will need maintenence.

Thanks for the hunt

let the velcro finds begin!

icon_smile.gif September 30 by hhhh (1842 found) Logging this one as a find along with 888, ggg, an xxx while in the area. We found the velcro (both peices)on the ground. Did not know what type of container was there so we did not replace.

icon_smile.gif September 30 by gggg (1300 found) found.TFTH.

icon_smile.gif September 30 by gggg (1300 found)

velcro only.

(not only did he find velcro only - but he found it twice!)(both pieces?)

icon_smile.gif September 30 by wwww (216 found)

Found the velcro but not the cache today with users... Definitely want to check this one.

icon_smile.gif September 30 by bbbb (4955 found)

Will 5th the below statements. Found velcro but no container.

icon_smile.gif September 30 by 8888 (1706 found)

Found the velcro but no cache

DNF - October 3 by ssss (3419 found)

We found the wasps and nothing else. We were with someone who had found it before and he couldn't find it either. Has it moved or are we slackers?

icon_smile.gif October 21 by mmm (495 found)

Thanks for the smiley! Nice area

icon_smile.gif October 21 by jjjj (133 found)

Found on a great day of caching. TFTH

DNFNovember 4 by zzz (4098 found)

Searched for awhile on all the structures but came up empty handed.

DNFDecember 21 by hhhh (2895 found)

Found hornets. Didn't find the cache.

DNF December 21 by aaa (2752 found)

So what's the deal? I thought you had to sign a log to get a find. The cache is missing. Finding velcro doesn't count. Found the wasps. Searched all things that looked the same. Wasps in almost all of them. No cache, no log, no find.

icon_remove.gif December 22 by aaa (2752 found)

Needs archiving or needs fixing .... see almost all the logs below.

Here's one that came off my watchlist. It's a virtual cache in Missouri, where you find out the type of animal living in a group of caves. The answer is on a sign at the coordinates. The cache page has a certificate in a Word document, where the password is the type of animal:

;) December 23 by Sssss (724 found)

This solution took a long time to solve.

There live about 31 kinds mammals, 301 species of birds and 35 species of reptiles... And I tested almost all of them...

But at least I found the right password.

Thanks for the interesting cache, merry christmas and a happy new year from Germany

I don't think he got the point of VISITING the cache!

Edited by BooBear

:D October 21, 2006 by bdbdbdbd (424 found)

We were looking forward to getting back up to this spot for some geocaching that seems to have its problems with vandals. This is one of our favorite spots for a pleasant walk in the woods. Lots of people here today including some small children enjoying a beautiful fall day. We spent an awfull lot of time looking for this and was absolutely sure we were where it was supposed to be. I took a picture of this spot and would email it to mosski later. Well, later, at the tower cache we met xxxxxxx and I showed him the picture. He said "you found it" so therefore the find log. Someone has taken it again, what a shame. Thanks again for bringing us to this wonderful spot.

So now we just snap photos of the former hiding spot?

I've been following this thread for a few months and now I finally have something to contribute:

December 24, 2006 by Kxxxx (187 found)

I travelled over 300 miles and found the nearby letterbox. Since my GPS had me all over that park, and I found SOMETHING, I am taking credit for the find. Man, the coords are bouncy in there.

Yeah, I find SOMETHINGs all the time. I don't call 'em all caches, though. :D

:blink: May 3, 2006 by UUUUU (232 found)

Found the "spot" where the cache should have been, but absolutely nothing now. I'm logging as a find, since if it would have been there, we would have found it. Will come back out to sign the log when (and if) it ever comes back. Stopped and played handball in the tennis courts.

icon_smile.gif January 14 by GGGGG (71 found)

I'm not sure of the caching etiquette on this one, so tell me if I'm wrong.I'm claiming this as a find because I found the cache (can identify the location, labeling, location, etc.) but did not sign the log because I couldn't open it--maybe I'm a wuss, maybe the container was frozen...

icon_smile.gif January 13 by FFFFFF (30 found)

XXXXes make a great reason to get out and cache and the weather makes it fun to open frozen cache containers. Make sure you bring tools on cold days for this one.

PVC tube

icon_smile.gif January 14 by GGGGG (71 found)

I'm not sure of the caching etiquette on this one, so tell me if I'm wrong.I'm claiming this as a find because I found the cache (can identify the location, labeling, location, etc.) but did not sign the log because I couldn't open it--maybe I'm a wuss, maybe the container was frozen...

icon_smile.gif January 13 by FFFFFF (30 found)

XXXXes make a great reason to get out and cache and the weather makes it fun to open frozen cache containers. Make sure you bring tools on cold days for this one.

PVC tube

Heck, at least they found the cache.

Heck, at least they found the cache.

Yeah, the one that caused me to draft the post illustrated a point I'd been wanting to make about possible click errors--reading the thread, I'd been wondering what percentage of these were due to lack of attention. I know I've caught one of my own like that. But on re-reading it, I couldn't be sure if the cacher's reference to DNFing wasn't poorly worded past tense, and wanted to give the benefit of the doubt.

Not my best thread debut.

Cache was blown up by the police, then 3 "finds" .

:) December 2, 2004 by The GGGGG (1285 found)

At least we got to see a picture of the cache in the newspaper (along with owner). We had found 16 of the 18 BBTT's (not counting the shortcut) and we were working on the 17th when disaster struck the cache. We took our time after that knowing that all we'd find was a piece here and a piece there. We recently finished the 18th one. We really enjoyed the series and are looking forward to doing the shortcut too. Thanks for all the caches.

:lol: December 2, 2004 mmmmmmm (4777 found)

Would have come here if there was anything left. Thanks! I'll keep doing the other BBTT series caches for the fun of it. Keep up the good work!

icon_sad.gif November 8, 2004 by ggggggg (308 found)

all I found was a big hole in the ground. hehehe lol

think I'll go buy a lottery ticket (cache explosion )

:) November 8, 2004 by Zi111 (1 found)

I found this cache without any trouble....just had to watch the evening news....hehehe.....lol!

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

icon_note.gif November 6, 2004 by Owner (4067 found)

Well, It is official. I have been the victim of an over eager bomb squad. I have permission from the Borough Manager, and the Chief of Police to have that box where it was. The bomb squad knew who's box it was. They just didn't have anywhere else to play. I will replace this cache just as soon as I can find somewhere to buy another 20 MM Ammo box. I bought the only box the store had. Maybe a bigger box this time around. I will return on Monday, so until then I am disabling this cache. My apologies to all who have worked so hard so far. Cache on.

icon_smile.gif January 18 by CACHER (483 found)

logging cache with the help of XXXX, glad to have met you, CACHEFINDER

icon_disabled.gif January 18 by CACHEHIDER. (671 found)

Had a call from CACHER saying that he was not able to locate the cache, so I took a quick ride over and couldn't spot it either. He had located the object that had been hiding the container, so he gets to count it as a find while a get a new one ready. (Nice meeting you, CACHER!)

What, exactly, did he find? Oh right, nothing. Log nothing as a find... :blink:

icon_disabled.gif January 23 by CACHEOWNER (642 found)

Cache container is missing. Will be replaced shortly.

icon_smile.gif December 28, 2006 by FAKEFINDERS (63 found)

I'm logging this as a find, although the cache is not currently there. I had the fortunate pleasure of being out this afternoon in the path of CACHEOWNER himself!! While I was out looking for this cache, I met him along with two other fellow cachers, and he told me that the cache was not currently active, but that he was doing some maintanence and that I could log it anyway - what a great guy!

What a great guy.. :rolleyes:

icon_smile.gif January 3 by CACHER? (293 found)

I'm claiming the find, because I did find it. I just couldn't put my hands on it. Not enough monkey skills. Things were too slippery and there's not much traffic on that road in case of an accident.

This was a fake FTF on a cache that required some climbing.

icon_disabled.gif January 19 by Owner (10 found)

I will get up there this weekend and try to see what happened to the cache. I hope someone didn't take it.

icon_sad.gif January 18 by SSSS (1472 found)

Found the obvious location, but no cache. Checked the logs...oh. You might want to disable this until you get out to replace it, so it doesn't end up on folks' queries. I certainly enjoyed the walk through the nice hidden park in any case.

icon_sad.gif January 17 by TTTT (1271 found)

Not sure how you can log a cache without finding it, even if it has been muggled, but so be it. I also hit GZ at a nice rock that appears to fit the clue and description nicely, but no cache, which means no find to me. I will hunt it back down when it gets replaced.

icon_smile.gif January 9 by XXXX (513 found)

I, too, found the obvious stone with natural under back side cavity for an ammo box - but no ammo box. I had the luxury of a car, printed detail maps and daylight!

Thanks. I'm sure you'll get it re-hid soon. Please put my name in the log!

Charlie

icon_sad.gif January 9 by FFFF (327 found)

So I am attending a conference held at an airport hotel and was looking to combine a little early morning exercise and caching. Did the urban micro to the south on yesterday morning's jog, so what's up for day two? A quick check-in with Groundspeak shows a bleak picture. Nothing close, except for some puzzle caches and some cacher not playing with a "full deck". (What's up with that?) Found this one and decided to head out on another early morning cache jog. Headed out at 6 AM and jogged thru nummerous small neigborhoods towards the cache site. Initially had trouble find the entrance to the park, getting as close as 180 feet knowing that the park/cache must be right behind a row of houses on a little dead end street. But since it was 6:30 AM in the morning and still dark, I was concerned about stepping on private property and resigned myself to start heading back towards the hotel. Then on the way out I spotted a small walk way up into the park from a cull de sac. With renewed energy I jogged into the park; found the trail leading me behind the houses I had just seen from the street. Getting close to GZ I hit tree cover and that made it really dark. Found the large rock without a flash light and then turned on the flashlight to retrieve the cache, but...no cache! I did find some natural camo that appears to have been in the spot that I suspect to have held the cache but NO container. Searched around a bit with my flashlight but then abandoned the search due to darkness and proximity to the homes. Did not want to end up having to explain my outing to the PD.

I may have missed the cache, but my geo senses tell me sonething may be wrong here. Would suggest a cache check in the near future.

Jogged back to the hotel. No cache today, but I did have a healthy 4.5 miles run in 43 minutes, so thanks for that.

Hope the cache container is indeed there and I just missed it in the darkness.

Please put my name in the log?

February 15, 2005 by Admin (1796 found)

Cache is gone, cache owner has not logged on in 9 months, so I have archived it for him. Thanks for the past fun.

erik - geocaching.com admin

:anicute: February 7, 2005 by xxxxxx (15 found)

What a great site! Found the waterfall but not the cache and took a little swim. We probably wouldn't have made it here except for geocaching. I'm sure that the cache was around here someplace but maybe it was washed downstream. When you stop at the Palomar be sure to order the chicken mole.

February 6, 2005 by cccccc (711 found)

Looks like the cache owner has not logged onto the site since May of 2004. I believe this should be archived.

:( February 6, 2005 by zzzzzzz (152 found)

Could not find it, Coord. are in the bottom of the wash, you may want to archive this cache. Great spot, Thanks, Scubadive

[This entry was edited by scubadive on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 at 6:57:26 AM.]

February 6, 2005 by ddddddd (711 found)

Fantastic waterfall that is known to many. About 18 people there today. Found an area that matched the description but found nothing. The spot I found would have been easily muggled near the trail. Three DNF's may mean it is time to archive this one.

May 19, 2004 by aaaaaaa (7 found)

We tried to find this cache, but were unsuccessful. The coordinates didn't seem to match the location of the trail, but we found the split in the trail, headed down to the lower pool, saw a spot that looked like it met the description, but we were either simply in the wrong place, or the cache is no longer there.

But it was well worth the trip. It was a gorgeous place. We ended up taking the high trail that led to the smaller pools behind the big pool, and cooled off there. Then ended the day with margaritas at the Palomar restaurant.

Maybe if we go back, we'll try it again.

April 2, 2004 by rrrrrrr (19 found)

April Fools - the coordinates are bad! After looking where the directions indicated and using the coordinates still could not find the cache. Perhaps it has been moved.

Still a very beautiful spot that we had not been to before so the treasure was in the hunt. Mucho gracias.

archived cache near Cabo San Lucas.

traffic_cone.gif August 4, 2004 by CACHEOWNER (18771 found)

Gone. May rehide at later time but with new technique.

icon_smile.gif July 31, 2004 by FAKE1 (381 found)

Found it wasn't there with FAKE2!

icon_smile.gif July 31, 2004 by FAKE2 (1676 found)

Found it wasn't there! Now, that almost made sense!

icon_sad.gif July 31, 2004 by FAKE1 (381 found)

Add FAKE2 and me to the pile of DNF! This just got a fresh coat of paint and may have been found, but not in a nice way!!

Why re-hide it? Everyone can just pretend to find it. :huh:

Edited by Criminal
[:rolleyes:] February 4 by CACHERS (1504 found)

We spent the weekend in (City) and in addition to spending quite some time at (City) Island, we did some caching as well. Boy was it a chilly weekend to be out caching! Fortunately, we found lots of caches with nice short walks to help distract us from the wind and cold temps!

This was our second to last stop in (City)...XXXX found it...well, he found part of it. The cache is no longer there. All that was left was the adhesive. He tried to attach our signature item or sign our name to the adhesive, but the adhesive itself fell off and he took it with us...the cold temps made the adhesive no longer sticky.

Cache needs replaced.

TFTC

Dang, now the sticky isn't even there for another cacher to log, um, claim a find.

Edited by wvcoalcat

icon_smile.gifDecember 29, 2006 by FAKE1 (251 found)

Even though the last log stated the cache was missing, FAKE2 and I were going to be in the area so we decided to check things out. The cache was missing but we set a temp. micro out with some paper in it until you get a chance to get thing rock'n.

icon_smile.gif December 29, 2006 by FAKE2 (151 found)

It was another great day for chaching, so FAKE1 and I jumped in the Geomobile and off we went. This was our third "find" of the day. We found the tree with no problem, but unfortunately, the cache was gone. We temporarily replaced it with a film canister type cache. Hopefully, the owner can do some maintenance on it soon.

OK, so what did you 'find' exactly? ;)

:P February 11 by Fake Finder (154 found)

We're claiming FTF even though we could not reach the actual cache after we spotted it. Left a log note on the way to it (and we do mean on-the-way). The present cache location is a bit OUT of the way, as the next hunters will surely affirm. At least snow is not an issue. Great area and fascinating story. TFTC if not for its final resting place.

Some people have no shame. :lol:

icon_smile.gif February 1 by FAKEFINDER(92 found)

Found the top only, like OTHERCACHERS said it looks like some locals didn't care about Geocaching I hope that you can rebuild it and maybe hide it where idiots won't trash it.

They even posted a photo:

2009a243-1c46-4bf4-b2d2-94794ec9eac0.jpg

Edited by Criminal

Ok I've been made out to be some sort of FAKER or something like somebody who attacks me should be able too. I think this is crap! as you can see I found the lid the cache was smashed and broken, my friend put it out there, I thought he should see the lid of his cache and maybe he would want someone to sort it out. If your gonna quote someones log then quote it, don't change it for your sake. Sorry for the rest of you to read a bunch of self serving crap but I guess this makes someone feel better. IF I'm wrong, cause I didn't find ALL the cache then I'm sorry. I don't need to log things that aren't there to make my ego feel better. I get enough of that at the Hall.

PureCDN

Ok I've been made out to be some sort of FAKER or something like somebody who attacks me should be able too. I think this is crap! as you can see I found the lid the cache was smashed and broken, my friend put it out there, I thought he should see the lid of his cache and maybe he would want someone to sort it out. If your gonna quote someones log then quote it, don't change it for your sake. Sorry for the rest of you to read a bunch of self serving crap but I guess this makes someone feel better. IF I'm wrong, cause I didn't find ALL the cache then I'm sorry. I don't need to log things that aren't there to make my ego feel better. I get enough of that at the Hall.

PureCDN

Well, to many geocachers claiming a find on a cache means finding the cache and signing the log. There is nothing to prevent you from claiming your find, but you need to realize it will raise some eyebrows with a sizable segment of the players in this game. Some players claim finds because they saw where a missing cache had been. I think it boils down to your interpretation of the term "found it", because that is the choice you made from the pull-down menu when you logged the find.

:rolleyes: April 2, 2006 by BLAHBLAH (533 found)

Found where the cache should be but it had gone missing. Cache owner told us to log it as a find.

:wub: October 2, 2005 by "Who needs a logbook"(2102 found)

when tweetie seen this we just had to go for it... she drove right up looked in side and found 0 . we left a pack of gt and t seeds to prove we we were at the cache since there was no log book that we could find.

Was bored tonight and have been enjoying this thread, so checked out some archived caches in my area looking for fake finds. Didn't take long :wub:

And just to make sure to give credit where credit is due, I came across this one: (I left his name because he did GOOD!)

[NOTE] February 18, 2006 by ajayhawkfan (3741 found)

I corrected my log to a DNF from a found.

Edited by ReadyOrNot