Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

An account made specifically to log fake finds (rather than writing notes, I guess):

:( 9/11/2006 by XXX: XXXXX!

Well, that is certainly one of MY favorite stretches of road! I drive it EVERY year. NEVER get gas in Gordo. It has been on CNN several times for having the HIGHEST gas prices in the entire country. BTW- there's a cache there.

This is cache #395 of the ODS Project!

I am XXX: XXXXX! The cyberspace embodiment of the One Degree of Separation Project. I exist to do one thing. I am here to track all caches and travel bugs that are dedicated to the One Degree of Separation Project. It is my mission in life to fly through cyberspace to find and log every seed pod, every seed cache, and every travel bug dedicated to this project. One will only have to check my profile stats to see how much I've GROWN!

I am NOT an actual person and I didn't visit this cache site. This user account was established to track the caches and travel bugs dedicated to the One Degree of Separation Project to give those that are interested in its progress a place to view the ENTIRE project at a glance. Just click my name at the top of this log to view the active caches and travel bugs of this project.

THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING!

XXXX: XXXXX!

Edited by Ed & Julie

:laughing: September 13 by $$$$$$$ (4437 found)

We're taking a "find" on this sucker, emailed the cache owner regarding finding the attaching rusty wire, but, alas no cache(have gotten no response). We're from San Diego, so won't be around for the replacement.

Thanks

:laughing:

:lol: September 6, 2005 by CACHEOWNER(2123 found)

SORRY LATE LOG

[view this log on a separate page]

<MAINT>September 6, 2005 by CACHEOWNER (2123 found)

new camo new cache comming.

<MAINT>September 6, 2005 by CACHEOWNER(2123 found)

new one comming

:D July 3 by BSer1 (10 found)

Saw the tennis ball. After reading the other logs, I am also logging it as a find.

:blink: June 29 by BSer2 (60 found)

Nice walk but very hot.

:mad: June 28 by BSer3 (151 found)

Didn't find the log, but found the tennis ball. Owner should check it out to see if it is still there. We searched ALL over... Logging it anyways, if owner decides it doesn't count, let me know. Found with L-Train.

:D June 4 by BSer4 (212 found)

Cycle Ken and I have been here several time and can never find a log. We have googled it so we know the location. We found the tennis ball this time so we are logging it as a find.

:D June 4 by BSer5 (266 found)

Third time I have tried this one. Found tennis ball but no log. We logged it as a find this time because I doubt that we will go back. Hey guys thanks for the tennis ball it is still there:)

:D March 26 by BSer6(32 found)

The gps said we found it but could not locate anything. Looked all around the big -------, looked all around area found nothing. We left a tenis ball where we thought it should be located, let us know if it was correct.

Telling a lie is easier when everyone else does it, right? :mad:

Edited by Criminal

Let's see. A person with 32 finds puts down a tennis ball as a marker because the cache is mssing. Then a person with 266 finds logs it. Then a person with 212 finds. Then a person with 151 finds. Then a person with 60 finds. And finally:

:D July 3 by BSer1 (10 found)

Saw the tennis ball. After reading the other logs, I am also logging it as a find.

This is the way the newbies are corrupted. :D

September 29 by CACHEOWNER (9542 found)

checked on this one today and it is missing. last two loggers (no finds) have my permission to change their log to a find.

<DNF>September 9 by XXXX (825 found)

Looks like we're the second DNF on this one. We tried the clue, but that didn't help at all. Not sure what it meant, but we looked all over and couldn't find it.

<DNF>August 31 by YYYY (158 found)

We'll be back.

The cache owner in this case, one of the more blatent abusers of the concept of 'finding' a cache, is encouraging others to cheat. :P

:P September 27 by QQQQQ (1508 found)

avec la permission du proprio, dû à la disparition de cette cache. Nous loggons trouvé!

merci!

BMQc

:P

In other words:

with the permission of the landlord, due to the disappearance of this hiding place. We loggons found! thank you! BMQc

:rolleyes: September 13, 2003 by <removed to protect the guilty> (160 found)

OK SO I AM GOING TO LOG THIS AS A CACHE AS IT HAS NOT BEEN MOVED AND I DO NOT THINK IT IS THERE AND I WOLD LIKE TO OF FIND ALL CACHES IN THIS AREA I DID THIS CACHE 2 TIMES AND NO UP DATES DELETE IF IT IS THERE THINK I WILL PUT ONE OUT THERE MY SELF CACHE ON BIG BEAR.

Yeah...that's a fnd...not!

Ed

dont look now, that's not even a language!!

icon_smile.gifAugust 30, 2005 by user (1867 found)

Ok, I'm logging this as a find, since I found the velcro behind the you-know-what where it used to be (user's friend confirmed that I had the correct location), but the cache container was no where to be seen. It must be MIA :-(.

October 4 by BSer#1 (16985 found)

I was given the explanation and to log this cache due to the unusual circumstances.

<ARCHIVE> October 4 by CACHEOWNER (983 found)

Blijkbaar is de cache alweer verdwenen, het gaat nu zelfs harder dan met het koper aldaar.

Roughly translated, the cache is missing.

Spreading deceit to Europe :lol:

(archive) October 5 by Crow T Robot (7 found)

Archiving this one before any other knuckleheads try to sign the velcro.

(needs archive) October 5 by xxxx (306 found)

Owner has not logged in for nearly two years. Cache has been missing for over a year. I think it's time to let this one rest in peace!

(post note) October 5 by xxxx (306 found)

Like a dope, I signed the velcro too.

(found it!) July 30 by vvv (66 found)

found and signed velcro. tfth

(found it!)April 3 by hhh (913 found)

Found and signed Velcro. TFTH (at least what's left of it!)

(found it!) March 30 by tttt (1608 found)

One of fourteen today. TFTH

(found it!) March 30 by eee (1403 found)

Found velcro with tttt and sss.

(found it!) March 30 by sss (1907 found)

Like everyone else we located the cache holder with no log. Will email owner to see if it will be replaced. Last one to find it in tact was in June of 05?

(found it!) February 27 by ddd (945 found)

Established my own Geo-cache account and I’m retroactively logging those caches I jointly found with kkkk

(found it!) February 27 by kkkk (1048 found)

Found it, or what's left. Signed near the cache. Filmcan is gone, velco remains, cache abandoned.

(didn't find it) July 16, 2005 by ppp. (605 found)

Nope, no cache.

(didn't find it) July 16, 2005 by qqq (1586 found)

ppp. and I found velcro about 30 feet from coords; probably the same thing bbb found. Cache owner hasn't logged on in six months; cache is likely history.

(didn't find it) June 20, 2005 by bbb (89 found)

Me and nnn found where it was but didn't find the cache anywhere.

(found it!) June 3, 2005 by qqqqq (2287 found)

12:00 pm - ---(2005-06-03, 15:52:45)---

I went for this cache together with geocaching friend. Doin' this fine tour together - having FUN. Your caches rock. Your cache was worth hunting. I enjoyed the hunt / TNLNSL

From jolly old England:

:lol: October 6 by xxxxx (604 found)

dropped in with the lady herself, the gorgeous cache owner, hazel and we couldnt find it, no wasps either, but being the big hearted girl that she is she has let me log this as a find, cheers chuck kiss kiss.

You may as well look through my caches then... as a cache placer, I have allowed cachers to log a find, once they have proven they were looking int the correct place, when the cache has obviously gone...

Be warned, any log on my caches will be checked, if there is no log in the logbook of the replaced cache, then it will be deleted.

We all play the game in different ways, surely you have better things to do with your time than look for this type of log on caches worldwide... if not, I'd suggest you get another hobby to occupy your time!

Matt

From jolly old England:

:lol: October 6 by xxxxx (604 found)

dropped in with the lady herself, the gorgeous cache owner, hazel and we couldnt find it, no wasps either, but being the big hearted girl that she is she has let me log this as a find, cheers chuck kiss kiss.

You will notice that I have deleted your log.

As the cache owner I am entitled to let a find, or a DNF stand as I see fit.

I was with Bargee tonight when we visited the cache, and it had disappeared, as caches do tend to do every now and again.

I am 100% confident that had the cache been there, Bargee would have found it. Like I said... that it is up to me to allow the find to stand, not a bunch of witch hunters!

:o October 7 by xxxxxxxx (1683 found)

Went out after dinner and replaced the cache with my wife. TFTC 143

October 7 byxxxxxxxxowner (912 found)

Replaced the container.

[view this log on a separate page][/i]

and this is for a totally different cache by the same owner

;) October 7 byxxxxxxxxx (1683 found)

Was out replacing the container with my wife. TFTC 143

October 7 by xxxxxxxxxxx(912 found)

Corrected the name of the cache, and replaced it. Happy hunting.

[view this log on a separate page][/i]

Edited by jeepstr76

this is the owner

<_< October 6 by xxxxxxx (1683 found)

Signed the new log as I replaced it. TFTC 143same cache

<_< March 26 by xxxxxxxxx(912 found)

I am not claiming FTF on this because I was there when my love placed it, just logging it as a find..

Edited by jeepstr76
:anicute: August 8 by CACHER2 (1867 found)

Still logging finds and dnfs from several days ago. We were with jim&jackie and found part of the cache. Thanks for allowing us to log as a find.

:anicute: August 8 by CACHER1 (4053 found)

We are logging this with the cache owners permission. We did find "part" of the cache but not all of it. We searched for the rest of it, but had no luck. TFTH

<DNF>August 8 by CACHER1 (4053 found)

The only thing left of the cache was the fishing line with a loop on the end the size of a 35mm container. We called a previous finder and they confirmed that what we were looking at used to hold the cache container.

Sheesh :ph34r:

B) October 7 by XXXXX (1181 found)

appreciate the OK to log the missing cache. We really tried to find it. You Kentucky people are very nice.

B) October 5 by YYYYY (239 found)

Found.... - that it was gone... Thanks for your generosity, LJT!

<DNF> October 5 by YYYYY (239 found)

Looked and looked with Team Namthcof, but to no avail. I might try again another time...

I guess it's 'nice' when you allow people to pretend to find your cache. B)

:) October 7 by XXXXX (1181 found)

appreciate the OK to log the missing cache. We really tried to find it. You Kentucky people are very nice.

Looked and looked with Team Namthcof, but to no avail. I might try again another time...

I guess it's 'nice' when you allow people to pretend to find your cache. :)

Glad you and your spineless spies are smugly trying to rid the world of us evil non-cache finders! Deleted my log. I had only entered it at the request of the one who hid the cache.

:) October 7 by XXXXX (1181 found)

I guess it's 'nice' when you allow people to pretend to find your cache. :)

Glad you and your spineless spies are smugly trying to rid the world of us evil non-cache finders! Deleted my log. I had only entered it at the request of the one who hid the cache.

Uh.... nobody knew it was you until you posted. The names in this thread are X'd out for just that reason.

:) October 8 by Should know better (7277 found)

Dropped off a 35 mm film canister under the spot where the cache should be. It is covered by a few rocks. Hopefully this one can stay there until the owner replaces original container.

SBA October 6 by hhh (79 found)

This cache no longer seems to exist.

SBA September 2 by ggg (61 found)

We did not read all the other notes before we went looking for this cache. Got there found the pulley hanging from the tree which we figured is where it used to be but continued to search forever with much stubbornness thinking maybe the pulley was not where it was supposed to be after all. Finally gave up after deciding that it was stolen.

SBA September 1 by fff (1920 found)

not there

SBA July 23 by ddd (56 found)

Email received from owner here is qoute

"I got up to check the cache and it has been completely removed. I had hoped to at least find evidence of what happened but it is gone. I am shocked someone would locate/remove it given it was a school cache. Anyway, sadly, it needs to be archived."

DNF July 20 by eee (174 found)

Thought I'd check on this one since I was in the area with my folks. Needs to be archived. Pulley is still attached to the tree, but cache is long gone. Way too visible location in a dispersed camp site to survive.

NOTE May 16 by ddd (56 found)

Been in contact with owner, it is being checked on in next day or two.....no need to archive it yet

SBA May 16 by ccc (127 found)

Yup, I'm afraid it's been plundered.

DNF April 16 by bbb (66 found)

I believe the cache is missing, there is a small pulley attached to a branch about ten feet off the ground fifteen feet away is a broken "Colorado" coffee mug with a humming bird inscribed inside. Coordinates are right on the mark.

DNF April 11 by aaa (107 found)

I looked and looked and found nothing. I'm thinking it's still buried under the snow. I'll try again in the summer. I enjoyed the walk and the great scenery though!! Thank you!!!

The last time the owner of this cache was on-line was 3/27/06

I had a geocacher that tried to find one of my caches, he came at night and it was a residential area, so he turned back and claimed a find for it. :) I e-mailed him and he didn't change it, so I deleted it. He hasn't been back to try and find it either... o_o

Edited by imfrog2002

Just a couple of questions. I really am curious because I don't understand it all.

1) What is "spineless" about noting caches where people claim finds when they didn't actually find anything?

2) Why would you claim a find when you didn't find the cache?

October 4 by BSer#1 (16985 found)

I was given the explanation and to log this cache due to the unusual circumstances.

<ARCHIVE> October 4 by CACHEOWNER (983 found)

Blijkbaar is de cache alweer verdwenen, het gaat nu zelfs harder dan met het koper aldaar.

Roughly translated, the cache is missing.

Spreading deceit to Europe :unsure:

even in other languages this is still funny

Edited by Syn

(archive) October 5 by Crow T Robot (7 found)

Archiving this one before any other knuckleheads try to sign the velcro.

(needs archive) October 5 by xxxx (306 found)

Owner has not logged in for nearly two years. Cache has been missing for over a year. I think it's time to let this one rest in peace!

(post note) October 5 by xxxx (306 found)

Like a dope, I signed the velcro too.

(found it!) July 30 by vvv (66 found)

found and signed velcro. tfth

(found it!)April 3 by hhh (913 found)

Found and signed Velcro. TFTH (at least what's left of it!)

(found it!) March 30 by tttt (1608 found)

One of fourteen today. TFTH

(found it!) March 30 by eee (1403 found)

Found velcro with tttt and sss.

(found it!) March 30 by sss (1907 found)

Like everyone else we located the cache holder with no log. Will email owner to see if it will be replaced. Last one to find it in tact was in June of 05?

(found it!) February 27 by ddd (945 found)

Established my own Geo-cache account and I’m retroactively logging those caches I jointly found with kkkk

(found it!) February 27 by kkkk (1048 found)

Found it, or what's left. Signed near the cache. Filmcan is gone, velco remains, cache abandoned.

(didn't find it) July 16, 2005 by ppp. (605 found)

Nope, no cache.

(didn't find it) July 16, 2005 by qqq (1586 found)

ppp. and I found velcro about 30 feet from coords; probably the same thing bbb found. Cache owner hasn't logged on in six months; cache is likely history.

(didn't find it) June 20, 2005 by bbb (89 found)

Me and nnn found where it was but didn't find the cache anywhere.

(found it!) June 3, 2005 by qqqqq (2287 found)

12:00 pm - ---(2005-06-03, 15:52:45)---

I went for this cache together with geocaching friend. Doin' this fine tour together - having FUN. Your caches rock. Your cache was worth hunting. I enjoyed the hunt / TNLNSL

After reading pages of this stuff...This is the funniest dadgum one out of them all...ROFL @ the knuckleheads signing the velcro.

Glad you and your spineless spies are smugly trying to rid the world of us I haevil non-cache finders! Deleted my log. d only entered it at the request of the one who hid the cache.

Just a couple of questions. I really am curious because I don't understand it all.

1) What is "spineless" about noting caches where people claim finds when they didn't actually find anything?

2) Why would you claim a find when you didn't find the cache?

1.)What is spineless is that you people don't have the decency to voice your concerns to me directly - whoever first noticed my heinous crime could've e-mailed me directly and told me that they didn't think I should've logged that cache (I have since un-logged it). Instead, you post to these forums and apparently all get a chuckle as to how superior you are to the rest of the cachers who are out there trying to have a good time instead of sitiing at their computers judging others.

2.) I logged the cache as a find after the owner told me to - it helped him discover that it was missing. I have since un-logged it now that I know that the cache-police (literally) are watching my every move.

Why do you care who logs what anyway? It's just people trying to have fun. Are you so insecure/competetive in your own numbers that you have to monitor everyone else? And yes, "Wadcutter", I see you actually have quite a few. It's a game.

Oh - and if I posted this incorrectly again so that my name shows, I DON'T CARE. I'm not trying to hide here in this forum.

...as to how superior you are to the rest of the cachers who are out there trying to have a good time instead of sitiing at their computers judging others.

It’s not about superiority, it’s about integrity.

I logged the cache as a find after the owner told me to - it helped him discover that it was missing.

Then you should direct your anger at him since he's the one who got you into this mess.

Edited by Criminal

...as to how superior you are to the rest of the cachers who are out there trying to have a good time instead of sitiing at their computers judging others.

I logged the cache as a find after the owner told me to - it helped him discover that it was missing.

Then you should direct your anger at him since he's the one who got you into this mess.

:) It really isn't any of your business, Criminal. It's between the cache owner and the hunter/finder. Don't you have anything better to do with your time, honestly, then play cachepolice? Why should Nature Nan be angry someone was considerate?

icon_sad.gif7/11/2006 by AAAAA

Thought this would be a quick one at lunch since I'm on this side of town today. I was wrong.

Found your Distant Kin??? and a 97 year old WWI veteran, but no cache.

icon_disabled.gifJuly 17 by CACHEOWNER (238 found)

It is gone. Apparently the victim of a cleanup operation. Back soon.

icon_sad.gifJuly 17 by BBBBB (497 found)

I printed out this cache before I left [HOME]. No wonder I couln't find it.

traffic_cone.gifJuly 19 by CACHEOWNER (238 found)

Taking this one down.

:) July 27 by DDDDD (837 found)

While passing through the area, we found the cache pop up on the map. Looked and looked, the PDA, an older PQ showed a DNF from a respected cacher. Fearing the cache was MIA, we replaced the cache with a new container and log. Came home and found the cache was archived. As Homer Simpson would say "D'OH!"

D'oh is right.

:) July 27 by EEEEE (1080 found)

Found with DDDDD and FFFFF . DDDDD replaced the cache while we were there. We did not know it was archived. If you have a problem with us logging the cache let me know and I'll delete it. Thanks!

:) July 27 by FFFFF (218 found)

did not find, missing, but we replaced it

Since I'm not too far away, I guess I ought to get retrieve the cache. Funny, I just learned that you can't post a "Needs Maintenance" on a cache that's archived.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

:) It really isn't any of your business, Criminal. It's between the cache owner and the hunter/finder. Don't you have anything better to do with your time, honestly, then play cachepolice? Why should Nature Nan be angry someone was considerate?

One of the cachers who actually found that cache sent me an email about it. They felt insulted by the cache owner equating their success in finding the cache with the two failures. The email made it my business.

One of the cachers who actually found that cache sent me an email about it. They felt insulted by the cache owner equating their success in finding the cache with the two failures. The email made it my business.

Reference the part - 'between the cache owner and the hunter/finder'. I think that point sort of slipped by you, regardless of who emailed you.

Reference the part - 'between the cache owner and the hunter/finder'. I think that point sort of slipped by you, regardless of who emailed you.

What, because you say it? Pfft.

What, because you say it? Pfft.

:) My opinion is as valid as yours... I just don't give everyone hell because I have an opinion. I'll continue playing this game according to the GC guidelines, and otherwise as I see fit, and I hope you will extend that courtesy to others as well. I'm done now.

:unsure: September 21 by AAAAA (776 found)

On our way to the North East to see the fall colors. Would never pass up an opportunity to grab some caches anywhere we travel. Have to DNF this one. Found a plastic lid from a container on the electrical boxes and no cache. ------- Changing this one to a found with owners permission as it was indeed missing. ------- TNLNSL T4TC

1.)What is spineless is that you people don't have the decency to voice your concerns to me directly - whoever first noticed my heinous crime could've e-mailed me directly and told me that they didn't think I should've logged that cache (I have since un-logged it). Instead, you post to these forums and apparently all get a chuckle as to how superior you are to the rest of the cachers who are out there trying to have a good time instead of sitiing at their computers judging others.

I guess the guidelines about signing about finding a cache and signing the log was a bit too difficult to understand? I was just curious why a person would claim a find when they didn't find anything. Seems rather strange to me, and a lot of others. I thought the purpose of this game was to actually "find" something.

Chuckle? Nah, shaking my head in wonder is the correct phrase tho.

2.) I logged the cache as a find after the owner told me to - it helped him discover that it was missing. I have since un-logged it now that I know that the cache-police (literally) are watching my every move.

It just that the guidelines seem so simple - find a cache, sign the log.

As far as helping the owner find out it was missing - there are other boxes you could have checked, such as "needs maintenance" or "should be archived". Those send a message to the owner letting them know there is something amiss with their cache. But then, if you had checked those then you wouldn't have gotten your little smiley and you would feel good about yourself then.

Why do you care who logs what anyway? It's just people trying to have fun. Are you so insecure/competetive in your own numbers that you have to monitor everyone else? And yes, "Wadcutter", I see you actually have quite a few. It's a game.

Yup, it's a game. Altho it seems that quite a few make up their own rules for the game.

And so you'll know, all the caches I've found have actually been found and my signature is on every one of the logs. I've found quite a few to be missing or needing maintenance. A simple note to the owner notified them of problems. If no signature on the log then there's no smiley on my list. So if anyone checks my numbers or my finds then they know I have actually found the cache, not a lid, not a strip of velcro, not a place where I think it use to be, and not someone's OK to claim a find anyway.

Thanks for your answers tho. I was just curious why someone, anyone, would claim *find* when they didn't find anything. I just wonder if those who feel that is acceptable carry thru with their other avenues of life in the same manner. For whatever reason a person justifies in their own mind, it seems very odd that a person would claim something that did not happen.

To many people the word "integrity" is just a word, a word which they define when it fits their needs. I don't know where Criminal received his commission but I am positive "Integrity" was a word which was well defined, there was no wiggle, no wavering, and it was a word that was reenforced and instilled on a daily basis. If it wasn't you weren't going to be around. It sure was when I went to OCS. And it was in my civilian job, so much so it's the first word of our motto. It is a word that was so ingrained in our daily lives because we knew that without it other people could suffer greatly the consequences.

But this is just a game, albeit probably a reflection on the way people view life. I know Criminal has heard the phrase "You fight the way you play."

What does a person really have but their own integrity? Everything else is fleeting. To many, so is their integrity.

Hereby ends the sermon.