Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Man someone is loco and needs to relax.

I also think that the EXAMPLE used was a good example and also showed someone that started off with a bad attitude... I have helped my daughter catch up on logs and some caches have even been archived before she gets to it. It is one thing to say you are catching up but to then have a cruddy attitude makes no sense.

Maybe Maxwell would be happier at another cache listing site... (oh no, am I doomed to have my caches recommended for archival...)

Crazy stuff.

I contacted him via his profile, and he has not responded, so I made a post to get his attention.

Do you think it was appropriate to post a Needs Archived log on Criminal's cache instead of contacting him directly...blah, blah, blah (what you were whining about)?

We just went thru this mess in Oklahoma. We had a few cachers say we were faking our finds. One cacher said there is no way that my wife could find 800 caches in 7 months. We do not want this arguement to go to this forum as well. It was already dirty enough on Keenpeople. I am just saying he should have contacted me via my profile before posting. I posted the archive note to catch his attention faster.

Man someone is loco and needs to relax.

I also think that the EXAMPLE used was a good example and also showed someone that started off with a bad attitude... I have helped my daughter catch up on logs and some caches have even been archived before she gets to it. It is one thing to say you are catching up but to then have a cruddy attitude makes no sense.

Maybe Maxwell would be happier at another cache listing site... (oh no, am I doomed to have my caches recommended for archival...)

Crazy stuff.

I contacted him via his profile, and he has not responded, so I made a post to get his attention.

Do you think it was appropriate to post a Needs Archived log on Criminal's cache instead of contacting him directly...blah, blah, blah (what you were whining about)?

Sorry about not getting back to you about your email, I was pretty busy last night.

I don’t understand your hostility. This thread is to chuckle at the new and creative ways people fudge the truth to bump their find count higher. It’s tongue-in-cheek humor with a smidge of eye rolling. The fact that you took offense at being an unwitting participant indicates some level of shame at being exposed, and obviously the shame was preexistent to the publicity.

Cache cop? I don’t have a problem with the cache whatsoever. MYOB? If you post such a find publicly, it becomes public domain and open to commentary by anyone who reads it. Posting an SBA on my caches demonstrates some serious immaturity and juvenile vindictiveness on your part. The SBA didn’t ‘get my attention’, but it does get the attention of the reviewers. I’m sure they don’t care about your fudging.

If JamieZ were dead, he’d be rolling over in his grave. The purpose of this thread is to list such occurrences, not debate them. Maybe he’ll just roll over in his bed, or on the couch.

Edited by Criminal

Apparently they get quite upset when they get caught!

Curious minds want to know. Did this person "out" themselves? I would have had no way of knowing to whom the original post by Criminal was referring. Am I overlooking some information as to the identity?

Curious minds want to know. Did this person "out" themselves? I would have had no way of knowing to whom the original post by Criminal was referring. Am I overlooking some information as to the identity?

I think he was talking about Maxwell Q.

Yes, that's who I was talking about. I probably picked a poor quote to use in my post. I wouldn't have known who Criminal's posts were referring to if MaxwellQ hadn't started responding.

Edited by Klatch

And when Maxwell Q started posting here, he curiously neglected to mention that he posted a Needs Archived log on Criminal's cache. Glad I saw it before Criminal deleted it.

Thanks for posting the link to the SBA. The SBA log didn't bother me, I have selective blindness to CAPS LOCK. Instead, I learned about an interesting 5/5 cache. :anicute:

In another thread, the topic of logging a find when the cacher really didn't find the cache was mentioned. Someone suggested it would make an interesting topic on its own. I agree.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Here's my first contribution:

icon_smile.gif Found the spot, but not the cache! No film canister that I could find, but I was right on it at 0.0 feet! 1st find on my own!

Sorry to be somewhat off topic, but how do you report a bad cache. Bad GPS numbers and a hint that leads you to dangerous and possiblily illegal activity?

Thanks.

I don't think we have seen this one yet. This is for a fairly old cache that does not get much traffic. Of course the concept is familar: newbie outdoes a high-number cacher in ability and in honesty.

:P May 7 by Cacher A (5538 found)

(cacher B ) and I visited here on our way back from the (event), and immediately noticed that this Preserve has recently undergone a "Prairie Burn" which destroyed much of the ground cover and loose brush. Everything in the vicinity of the zero coordinates had been charred or at least disturbed, and we found no sign of the cache in the obvious hiding place.

We took the liberty of replacing it with another micro-size container (a camo tape covered tube a few inches long). However, this location could use a larger, and a better one. We hope that the next time the cache owners are out this way they will consider replacing this with something more permanent; this is a very special spot!

:P May 7 by Cacher B (2357 found)

As (cacher A) said, we replaced this one with a new container after the recent burn! TFTC

:angry: May 28 by Cacher C (71 found)

We found the cache today, the original cache, not the replacement. We looked in many hollow logs (laying down) and no luck. As we were about to give up, my wife found the (2) XL Rx containers, with log and trades. The last log entry was August '05. The cache was not located in the obvious place, but about 15 feet north, just laying in the open, but not easily visible. We retrieved both bottles and put them back in the apparent location, as indicated by the hint.

:angry: August 21 by Cacher D (18 found)

Enjoyed the hunt and the beautiful landscape. One bottle was laying out in the open with the lid off and contents scattered on the ground. The other bottle with log was in good shape. Put contents back and replaced lid.

Way to go newbies! Spend the time to actually find the cache instead of just putting down your own container and claiming a find. Of course the sentiment of the high number cachers is good; i.e., "lets keep a cache going" but at least they could have DNFed or NOTEd their own container.

:tired: September 5 by xxxxxxx (22 found)

found where it was,,nettle everywhere

[view this log on a separate page]

He's well on his way....

What's wrong with this one (other than the grammar)? Isn't he saying "I found the cache and there were nettles all around it, too" ? It isn't obvious from what you have posted whether the cache is there or not.

:tired: September 5 by xxxxxxx (22 found)

He's well on his way....

What's wrong with this one (other than the grammar)? Isn't he saying "I found the cache and there were nettles all around it, too" ? It isn't obvious from what you have posted whether the cache is there or not.

Sssshhhhhh! Don't spoil Criminal's fun. It helps him to cope with being the person he's become to try to belittle someone else for doing things the way they want. Besides, with all these people getting extra smilies, Crim will never win at geocaching! :laughing:

:laughing: September 5 by xxxxxxx (22 found)

He's well on his way....

Sssshhhhhh! Don't spoil Criminal's fun. It helps him to cope with being the person he's become to try to belittle someone else for doing things the way they want. Besides, with all these people getting extra smilies, Crim will never win at geocaching! :tired:

He found where it was, it was archived because it was missing.

Sparky, get a life. Find something to amuse yourself besides trying to diss me in the forums.

September 3 by xxxxxxx xxxxx (1990 found)

Well to repeat the last few, no container just velcro. I at least left a sticker with the velcro @ 2:25pm.

September 3 by xxxxxxx xxxxxx (1990 found)

Found the magnet but the cache was missing. I left my sticker on it. Feel free to transfer it if and when you replace the cache. TFTC SL

:D September 5 by xxxxxxx (22 found)

He's well on his way....

Sssshhhhhh! Don't spoil Criminal's fun. It helps him to cope with being the person he's become to try to belittle someone else for doing things the way they want. Besides, with all these people getting extra smilies, Crim will never win at geocaching! :D

Sparky, get a life. Find something to amuse yourself besides trying to diss me in the forums.

Don't dis Criminal dissing other people. :D

He's well on his way....

Sssshhhhhh! Don't spoil Criminal's fun. It helps him to cope with being the person he's become to try to belittle someone else for doing things the way they want. Besides, with all these people getting extra smilies, Crim will never win at geocaching! :D

Don't dis Criminal dissing other people. :D

Right on time, and as usual, completely off topic. :D

He's well on his way....

Thanks, but I've got one. And it doesn't revolve around sitting in front of a computer all day reading logs so I can attempt to show how superior I am over others just because they play this silly game by their own rules. I think you do a fine job of dissing yourself everytime you post in this thread. It just serves as a reminder as to why I quit posting in these forums, and why I won't post again for another 6 months or more. I haven't checked the stats, but I'd bet you have the majority of the posts in this thread, so who needs to get a life? Now, quit trying to tell other people how to play their game and go twist a tit. :D

:ph34r: September 9 by ZZZZ (327 found)

With the owners permission we have relocated this cache a short way away from the wall and emailed him with the new co-ords and details. TNLN, left Henke TB - he would like to go to Scotland.

See that sparky? That's called 'being on topic', you should try it some time. If you want to debate the issue, start a thread of your own. Yes, I'm just being funny, we both know you don't have the intellect.

Edited by Criminal
:D May 29, 2004 by XXXXXXX (2237 found)

Just as I was completing this, CACHE OWNER pulled by and asked me if I was having any luck. I was on the final spot as he came by, but I stopped to have a conversation. Just as he was about to pull away he noticed me looking in the right spot and not finding anything. It had been plundered. To bad, it was such a fun little multi. But I am logging it anyway with permission of the owner.

More permission to lie. :anibad:

Edited by Criminal

OT:

;) April 13 by xxxxxx (73 found)

Have driven over Kenosha Pass nearly every week for the last few years and never took the time to look for this one. Now that I read the past logs, I agree it is gone. I found several remnants of items in a den of sometype, but no container. This cache needs to be replaced and moved.

;) September 13 by XXXXXX (704 found)

If only GSAK updated! This cache was my 700th! Yay! Spent ages looking for this little b*gg!r. Prices at the Centre have increased to £7.25 BTW.

Eventually 'found' the cache and returned to the car. Went the interesting route - through the fishery - and arrived at Ground Zero. Hadn't rad the clue previously but looked in the obvious place. Not the right one though. Had better luck next time, in as much as (or is that one word?!) the cache was not there, obviously, but I was sure I was in the

right place. Searched for over 35 minutes. I had no idea it had been archived. I did find, eventually, proof of it's existence. A small laminated card. It wasn't until I came to logging my finds for the day that I discovered this caches demise. AND such a great place to. Had all the sounds of a tropical jungle - in London and at noon. Where else. Thank you for allowing me to log it.

TFTC.

<ARCHIVE>April 30 by UKADMIN (0 found)

This cache has been removed by the local scout master. I am arranging for it to be picked up by the owner. Please DO NOT visit this location searching for it.

Lactodorum

UK Admin

The Brits jump on the BS Bandwagon.

;) September 13 by XXXXXX (704 found)

If only GSAK updated! This cache was my 700th! Yay! Spent ages looking for this little b*gg!r. Prices at the Centre have increased to £7.25 BTW.

Eventually 'found' the cache and returned to the car. Went the interesting route - through the fishery - and arrived at Ground Zero. Hadn't rad the clue previously but looked in the obvious place. Not the right one though. Had better luck next time, in as much as (or is that one word?!) the cache was not there, obviously, but I was sure I was in the

right place. Searched for over 35 minutes. I had no idea it had been archived. I did find, eventually, proof of it's existence. A small laminated card. It wasn't until I came to logging my finds for the day that I discovered this caches demise. AND such a great place to. Had all the sounds of a tropical jungle - in London and at noon. Where else. Thank you for allowing me to log it.

TFTC.

<ARCHIVE>April 30 by UKADMIN (0 found)

This cache has been removed by the local scout master. I am arranging for it to be picked up by the owner. Please DO NOT visit this location searching for it.

Lactodorum

UK Admin

The Brits jump on the BS Bandwagon.

don't you mean a brit? surely not all the brits have gone to the dark side.

Edited by fishingfools

Just goes to show that some cachers do not know how to read or the cache owner does not care to delete the logs of those who log it as a find.

GCGKQF

There is no cache and the coordinates are in the middle of the Great Salt Lake, but it has been "found" 26 times.

More than once by some.

:)

now there are two more finds on this one. :)

I love the people who spend time monitoring this thread and pop in from time to time to tell the participants to "get a life". Perhaps they should take their own advice.

If you want to just have an outburst, take it to emails or PM's please.

:)

Please don't make me cranky. Get back on topic.

:) September 15 by FF2 (322 found)

I love the renewed ally and good spot for a cache. TFTH (wanted to sign log)

:D September 15 by FF1r (495 found)

We found part of the container, but not the actual cache itself. Logging it as a find with approval of the owner.

BTW - very nice to see responsive cache owners! TFTH!

September 15 by CACHEOWNER (660 found)

Heh, odd. Will check and replace. Thanks for the note.

<NEEDSMAINTLOG>September 15 by XXXX (495 found)

The magnet was found, but the rest of the cache seems to be missing...

More Fake Find permission :)

:wacko: September 15 by FF2 (322 found)

I love the renewed ally and good spot for a cache. TFTH (wanted to sign log)

:) September 15 by FF1r (495 found)

We found part of the container, but not the actual cache itself. Logging it as a find with approval of the owner.

BTW - very nice to see responsive cache owners! TFTH!

September 15 by CACHEOWNER (660 found)

Heh, odd. Will check and replace. Thanks for the note.

<NEEDSMAINTLOG>September 15 by XXXX (495 found)

The magnet was found, but the rest of the cache seems to be missing...

More Fake Find permission :)

Thanks for the note! I appreciate someone so err...famous as you checking up on my caches for me and providing a link to the "Hall of Shame" on my cache, lol.

Criminal posted a note for Para-alley-ly (Disabled) (Traditional Cache) at 9/15/2006

Log Date: 9/15/2006

Woot! A Fake Find twofer. Added to the 19 page Hall of Shame

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=66648

Yup, with my permission after a few emails between the seekers who originally posted a DNF. I suggested they change to a find as they correctly told me where the container is. I personally appreciate their DNF notes, and their Needs Maintenance log. I'll replace the container as soon as I can, it's now disabled. I'll also link this thread post to them as well. I've got others to change their finds to notes in the past on missing caches I own, but these were simply nice chaps, with nice DNF logs and detailed emails to me. I in turn got invited to an Event they are hosting elsewhere in NC later on this year. It's nice to make new geofriends over a few DNF logs! I reserve the right to apply a little latitude at times when common sense dictates it :D I really don't mind if you agree or disagree with me on that point.

Thanks again for looking after me, I can sleep so much better tonight :unsure:

PS Ooh...and I'm a Brit... I'm so glad I found a bandwagon to jump on.

Edited by Maingray

GCGKQF

There is no cache and the coordinates are in the middle of the Great Salt Lake, but it has been "found" 26 times.

More than once by some.

:wacko:

Some of those are quite funny. Such as all of the below:

August 15 by Mtn-Boy (160 found)

out for a swim.

Like c'mon... what the hell is that? That's like logging a "Well, I was in the same neighbourhood as a virtual cache, so I'll claim it!". And for even worse blatant number-whoring:

August 14 by AD0OR (990 found)

Here's another one... thanks

Gee... wonder why they have almost a thousand finds. :) Oh yes, I'd trust HIS find/dnf statistics. I'm SURE they're quite accurate :D

August 13 by PeanutsParents (2107 found)

Thanks to Shaker-SLC for pointing this cache out to me. My Around the World TB has been missing for almost a year now. A cacher says he dropped it of in Colo. But it's not in the cache. Maybe it will show up sometime.....:)

Hell, you didn't even TRY to go there! You just 'heard about the cache', so you logged it.

Well cripes! I've got countless finds to go log. I'm sure there's some way to do a search of every virtual log on earth. Then I just systematically select 'find' on every one of them. Man, I'm AWESOME at geocaching and I didn't even know it! :unsure: But yeah... most of the 'finds' in this cache seem to be of this category.

But finally...

January 3 by Cosette (50 found)

I have found a missing TB, number ######. I'm not sure what to do. Do I just put it in a new cache or ? Is there a way to notify the owner?

YES! I don't know what to do... so instead of emailing someone to ask the question, I'll just log a find. Yeah, that's better. Then I get the ever-precious 'smiley' that I can't possibly live without.

All I can do is shake my head with some people.

Edited by Kabuthunk

Whup, my bad. Didn't even realize that was in there. For some reason, when I skimmed over that particular post, I thought it was just the TB#### type number, for locating it on geocaching.com. Well, that's now removed from the post. Thanks for alerting me there Simon :}

Although... on THAT note... I wonder why the owner of said TB didn't email that guy and tell him to remove that number from his post.

Whup, my bad. Didn't even realize that was in there. For some reason, when I skimmed over that particular post, I thought it was just the TB#### type number, for locating it on geocaching.com. Well, that's now removed from the post. Thanks for alerting me there Simon :}

Although... on THAT note... I wonder why the owner of said TB didn't email that guy and tell him to remove that number from his post.

Also, you shouldn't be posting waypoint ID and cacher's names when you copy and paste. (trying to prevent you from becoming the subject of mockery :o)

Also, you shouldn't be posting waypoint ID and cacher's names when you copy and paste.

As the Original Poster of this topic, I have to agree. In very first post of this thread, I requested that user ID and other identifying information be removed when posting to this thread.

Jamie

:( September 18 by XXXX (356 found)

Julie is allowing me to log this as "Found" since it went missing.

<NOTE> September 18 by XXXX (356 found)

I'm pretty sure I found this, but the container is gone/missing.

More fake find permission... :D

wow, do you have nothing to do better with your time? Fyi, I KNOW the two teams that logged the find. The cache was there it just feel in somewhere, can't say more without giving it away to other people.

:( September 18 by XXXX (356 found)

Julie is allowing me to log this as "Found" since it went missing.

<NOTE> September 18 by XXXX (356 found)

I'm pretty sure I found this, but the container is gone/missing.

More fake find permission... :D

:o September 15 by ZZZZZ (2505 found)

Per the cache owner, logging this one as found. I found the obvious spot. Guess with so many visits, it became just toooo obvious for the nearby picnic-ers.

I definitely know way too much about the side of that hill than most folks

Maybe a fake boulder about 1 gallon bucket sized would work on the _other_ side of the stream up that hill a piece.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't blind.

Wow, over 2500 finds... :blink:

Fyi, I KNOW the two teams that logged the find. The cache was there it just feel in somewhere, can't say more without giving it away to other people.

I presume you meant "fell" instead of "feel" in the above sentence.

So if they didn't find the cache why did they log a find on the cache?

While Criminal is sometimes over the top he does have a valid point that, especially for some high number cachers, the numbers are not from true finds but rather from people just throwing down new containers and claiming a find or from multiply logging a cache that does not exist or ... well, from any number of other inane reasons. Personally I find generally find the logs rather funny. It is amusing to see what people will do.

In this thread we do try to blank out people's names and the cache names. The idea is not to make fun of the people themselves but rather illuminate the process where by some people make lots of finds.

It's only a game, after all. One where the top prize does not go to the person with the top score.

:( September 13 by ZZZZZ (2501 found)

Well once again something does not like this cache here, We found only the top laying on the ground. Maybe a rat trap with a 35mm on it would stop the culprit??

<MAINT>September 5 by CACHEOWNER (648 found)

went by to check.found on ground with bag laying beside it.put back.guess the squirrels are mad.must be a good hidding spot.

:) September 3 by XXXXX (3224 found)

Knew where it had to be and it wasn't there. Looked on the ground for the smiley. Don't know why anything would chew on a 35mm. Not my idea of a good lunch

Thanks

Sheesh :(