Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

I hid my first cache a month ago. It was archived within a week as it brought such an increase in foot traffic thatthe neighbors were sure we were up to no good! AdMin archived it, and I removed the cache...a film canister, that day. A week later, a multi cache 3 townships over was having a lot of trouble with it's first leg-also a film canister. So, I recycled my sad little loser cache and placed it as the first leg for the otherwise successful multi-cache.

THIS WEEKEND, someone logged a find at my loser cache, said "Didn't know it was archived. Found it with no problem." THERE IS NOTHING THERE!!!! There is not even a log to sign, how can you find it??????? Grr....

It's obviously a fake find...delete the log. As the listing owner, you have the right to delete a verified fake find.

Ed

Came across this one elsewhere in the forums:

:anicute: November 16 by CACHER (12143 found)

Confirmed cache spot and missing and logged with permission of owner. We were going to replace it for him but by the time we touched back with homebase and gotten the approval of the cache owner it was late and rainy and we were already south of here. Sorry!

Jamie

[ARCHIVED] September 16 by [cache owner] (698 found)

This one seems to be a problem! Homeless living in the area. Sorry

[logged find] September 15 by xxxxx&xxxxxx (633 found)

Hiya kids hiya hiya!

We're logging this as a find, even though we didn't sign the log. We correctly solved the math back in July and went to the final cache site. We knew where the cache was, but found someone living there. Now the cache is probably missing again.

[logged find] September 13 by XxxXxxxxXXX (131 found)

Did the math and found the spot got permission to list as find TFTC

[logged find] September 13 by XxxXxxxx (298 found)

Wow using my math skills again.Found where the cache should have been and got permission to log this one from owner. TFTC

Do these logs count? Some fount the container but could not sign the log. Bring your tool belt with you when you go caching. This one had problems since early June. I think I was the only one who made an attempt to correctet the problem.

(found) October 27 by (623 found)

We found the cache and were able to open the container fairly easily. TFTC

(found) October 18 by bogleman (223 found)

I went on an early morning cache run finding some caches close to home. I read the past logs and brought the right tools for this one. It did take me some time to track down but I got it. Now the fun begins, I hope you don't mind but I brought a pair of pliers with me to open the cache. I was able to get the container open without damaging it but there are a few scuff marks on it. The cap was really stuck on but it should work fine for now, you may want to consider replacing the container so this problem does not contine. My brother-in-law used to work there a few years ago and this place can get pretty busy. Thanks for the fun.

Ian

(found) October 10 by (414 found)

I, too, found and couldn't open this container. I wrote some stars on the end. It doesn't twist the normal way, so people may tighten this when they mean to open it. I've seen one other cache like this one, and they are tricky to deal with. TFTC

(found) October 1 by (142 found)

Found the cache, but couldn't open the container...too tight. Cool spot!

Do these logs count? Some fount the container but could not sign the log. Bring your tool belt with you when you go caching. This one had problems since early June. I think I was the only one who made an attempt to correctet the problem.

(found) October 27 by (623 found)

We found the cache and were able to open the container fairly easily. TFTC

(found) October 18 by bogleman (223 found)

I went on an early morning cache run finding some caches close to home. I read the past logs and brought the right tools for this one. It did take me some time to track down but I got it. Now the fun begins, I hope you don't mind but I brought a pair of pliers with me to open the cache. I was able to get the container open without damaging it but there are a few scuff marks on it. The cap was really stuck on but it should work fine for now, you may want to consider replacing the container so this problem does not contine. My brother-in-law used to work there a few years ago and this place can get pretty busy. Thanks for the fun.

Ian

(found) October 10 by (414 found)

I, too, found and couldn't open this container. I wrote some stars on the end. It doesn't twist the normal way, so people may tighten this when they mean to open it. I've seen one other cache like this one, and they are tricky to deal with. TFTC

(found) October 1 by (142 found)

Found the cache, but couldn't open the container...too tight. Cool spot!

Technically you are supposed to sign the log, but at least they found the cache in these instances, so its not all that unusual to log it has a find. Way better than those who never found the cache but log it anways.

Technically you are supposed to sign the log, but at least they found the cache in these instances, so its not all that unusual to log it has a find.  Way better than those who never found the cache but log it anways.

Says who? Stop making things up!

The only thing I find in any of the guidelines says this:

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

If you TNLNSL - then you "didn't follow the rules" and therefore shouldn't rate the find? You can't just say lack of signing the log is against the rules unless you say not trading is against the rules in this case.

Elsewhere, the Geocaching Guide to Finding a Geocache says:

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Looks to me like - if I don't wanna sign the log, and you disagree with me, then you've got to disagree with the GC.com Guide too. Pick your poison, but make sure it's yours. Don't pick mine for me. (I obviously agree you actually have to locate the cache, but this arbitrary signing the logbook rule is just as bad as the photo rule.)

I think this thread has been hijacked. Its meant for examples of logs where the cache wasn't found but the cacher claimed a find anyhow. Sometimes these logs are humorous. If you want to discuss whether signing the log is a requirement for claiming a find it would be better done here.

Just to get back on topic (sort of) here's a log of mine from this weekend. I logged a DNF. I actually found a container with a log and trade items at the cache site. But the log said it was place just two days before and it was the wrong kind of container as well. I suspect in this case that muggles found the real cache and may have then left the new cache as a replacement not understanding how the game is played.

Edited by tozainamboku
Technically you are supposed to sign the log, but at least they found the cache in these instances, so its not all that unusual to log it has a find.  Way better than those who never found the cache but log it anways.

Says who? Stop making things up!

The only thing I find in any of the guidelines says this:

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

If you TNLNSL - then you "didn't follow the rules" and therefore shouldn't rate the find? You can't just say lack of signing the log is against the rules unless you say not trading is against the rules in this case.

Elsewhere, the Geocaching Guide to Finding a Geocache says:

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Looks to me like - if I don't wanna sign the log, and you disagree with me, then you've got to disagree with the GC.com Guide too. Pick your poison, but make sure it's yours. Don't pick mine for me. (I obviously agree you actually have to locate the cache, but this arbitrary signing the logbook rule is just as bad as the photo rule.)

Thanks for the whipping Mr. Pedant :lol: .

Talk about someone who totally missed the meaning of my post.

So what happens if you find the cache and the log but can't sign it cause the log is to soggy ?

According to the people who are winning at geocaching, if you don't sign the log, you don't get a smiley. :)

I usually carry logs and baggies of different sizes to replace wet logs I may find. I've even offered to send the soggy logs to the cache owners. No takers yet. :) Even if you don't have a sure 'nuff replacement it should be OK to sign a slip of paper and place it in the cache container. I've seen this done numerous times and have even signed someone else's makeshift log.

Recently I was out without my pack and came across a container with a hole gnawed in it The log was soaked. Picked up a small oak leaf, signed it, placed in container. In this case SL = Signed Leaf. ;)

From a discussion in the Chatroom:

:) October 26 by CACHERS (24 found)

We are putting this one in the found list although we couldn't find the cache itself. CACHER took us to the right spot, but the cache is missing. Might want to archive this one until a replacement cache can be found.

Jamie

This one sounds just like another series I posted a long while back in this thread. We start with the last legitimate log:

:) September 24 by CACHER (1907 found)

We found the log on the ground and part of the container was missing. It looked like the log had been on the ground for awhile and was in shreds. We were able to replace the missing part of the container and add a couple of new log sheets. We'll send a note to the cache owner.

Apparently, their fix didn't last very long. The next log:

:P  November 4 by CACHER (119 found)

I'm chalking this up to a find. Saw the top of the container nothing else was left. Pretty visible to possible muggles. May want to change location just a little. So let it be known I was there. I will also e-mail the owner..

icon_sad.gif November 7 by CACHER (528 found)

Just part of it is there. Since there is no log sheet, I have logged this as a DNF. Maybe the owner will get a chance to fix it soon. Thank you.

That's the third appeal to the owner to fix it.

This guy even uploaded a picture!

:) November 18 by CACHER (65 found)

I found the cap of the container. It's been muggled. I'll post a photo when I have it. Will that count as a find?

406bd45a-1d22-4a9b-b3a2-260bcac38ef3.jpg

Another found it:

;) November 24 by CACHER (98 found)

Ha should have read the logs before I took off for this one. I also have found the top to this bugger. Hopefully the owner gets the message (hint hint). Thanks for the...errr...nevermind

And then a jokester:

:P November 26 by CACHER (1358 found)

Since you don't actually have to sign the log for this one, and I have seen pictures of the lid, I am logging this from my armchair since I can't get out and cache today.

We have cache owners abandoning their caches and multiple people logging false finds.

Jamie

This one hurts, because it's from a geocaching buddy. I didn't know he was on the dark side.

:P May 9, 2003 by CACHER (321 found)

My 300th! I found it! (or rather the spot where it had been hidden!) I sent a note to the site owner to see if he wanted me to replace the microcache as it has appeared to have gone missing.

The park though is a fantastic spot to hang out for a bit to watch the water, and to relax a bit for a lunch picnic!

Jamie

This one hurts, because it's from a geocaching buddy. I didn't know he was on the dark side.

:P May 9, 2003 by CACHER (321 found)

My 300th! I found it! (or rather the spot where it had been hidden!) I sent a note to the site owner to see if he wanted me to replace the microcache as it has appeared to have gone missing.

The park though is a fantastic spot to hang out for a bit to watch the water, and to relax a bit for a lunch picnic!

Jamie

Well, iin many cases, I suspect that the cachers involved may not have permanently fallen to the "dark side", but rather that the find log may have been due to a moment of inattention, or rushing, or just feeling a bit desperate that day for a find "after all that work". Or maybe the cacher was just having a bad cache day, these are similar to bad hair days, but are far worse, as they involve something far more fundamental to human happiness: geocaches!

Here's one. Several DNFs, then an archive note from the owner inviting the DNFers to change their DNF logs to log Found Its (I just don't get that). Note only one person took her up on it.

traffic_cone.gif October 6, 2004 by Sxxx (4315 found)

Definitely not there anymore. Sorry for the delay in archiving this folks. Attn. all DNFer's: you may log this as a find, since it was not there and should have been. Sorry!

:)  September 27, 2004 by SSSS (172 found)

My GPS was telling me this was in a parking lot, so I searched everything that was concrete, to no avail. And of course, no porta-potties either. PS. Logged this as a find only per owner.

icon_sad.gifJuly 25, 2004 by FFFFFF (5 found)

No sign of the porta johns. I went two days in a row while the pool was closed to have pretty much free run of the place. Checked in all the spots I thought a micro might be hidden within about 500 ft of the coordinates - no sign of it.

July 19, 2004 by TTTTTTTT (51 found)

icon_sad.gif Well, we found the park. Did not find the porta johns, however, we did find where they use to sit. We checked under and around all the squares did not find the micro.

Edited by briansnat
Here's one. Several DNFs, then an archive note from the owner inviting the DNFers to change their DNF logs to log Found Its (I just don't get that). Note only one person took her up on it.

< log samples snipped >

I DNFd a missing cache a while back. A few weeks later I got a message from the hider that said not only could I change my DNF to a find but that he would prefer that I did that. <scratches head> :)

try this one on for size:

I came empty handed so I did not trade any TB's however, I did collect my smilie. My second srt4guy cache today! Now off to the next....TFTC.

the nerve?

Tim

? I don`t see the problem with that one. He seems to have found the cache.

The cacher didn`t have his trading stuff with him, so he didn`t trade... Or was it one of those mandatory trading caches?

I came empty handed so I did not trade any TB's however, I did collect my smilie. My second srt4guy cache today! Now off to the next....TFTC.

the nerve?

Tim

The cacher didn`t have his trading stuff with him, so he didn`t trade... Or was it one of those mandatory trading caches?

Thanks for bringing up this question. I too am puzzled. It sounds to me like the cacher did find the cache, and I cannot figure out what the the problem is...

the nerve?

Tim

I would bet anything that this was a legitimate find. I know the cacher who logged it; she wouldn't log an unfound cache as a find. When she DNF's, she logs a DNF (which isn't often -- she is an excellent finder).

I'm sure that the wording she chose for her log is a reflection of the wording in the cache description, which is:

"remember it's a tb hotel, so if you dont have one to trade please . sl and collect your smiley."

Series found in a different thread. In chronological order.

:lol: September 8 by CACHER (1727 found)

Yup yup, found this one today on a cache run to CITY.

Interesting container. Hope it stays dry.

Then the cache appears to go missing based on this DNF:

icon_sad.gifSeptember 10 by CACHER(302 found)

didnt find it , hope it is not missing , will try again later just to be sure

But then, did they really find it?

:ph34r: September 24 by CACHER (1037 found)

Found my 1K cache run around CITY!! I want to thank CACHER, CACHER and CACHER for taking me around and meeting up with CACHER along the way! Thanks for the hunt!!!

:ph34r: September 24 by CACHER (242 found)

I found it I just started and having great fun TFTC

:lol: November 8 by CACHER (3722 found)

It was after dark when we tried to find it. Logging with permission of the owner. Thanks

But it was dark!

:lol: November 8 by CACHER  (3069 found)

Got it with the other members of CACHING TEAM Thanks

:D November 8 by CACHER (3763 found)

Thanks for allowing us to log this. We enjoyed the hunt even though it was dark.

B) November 13 by CACHER (3359 found)

it is finally the 13th

After a late night of caching in CITY heading up to CITY. I decided to go on another Midday cache run with CACHER and CACHER..After that a GREAT party

10:30pm...Now A cache run with CACHER and CACHER.

I think this one is missing

Logging this one with owners permission

Thanks for the cache

Thanks for the what?

icon_sad.gifNovember 13 by CACHER (2131 found)

Back to I Don't Like Green...

One of many on a tour through the area with CACHER and CACHER. (We signed logs as either XXX or YYY.) We scoured the obvious hiding spot and came up empty. Came to the conclusion that it must be missing. (Or that I suck as a geocacher.)

I understand that it is entirely up to the cache owner's discretion to give permission to log a missing cache. But the way I see it is that I didn't find the cache so I didn't earn the smiley. If anyone wants to log any of my 376 hidden caches without signing any of the logs and without leaving the privacy of their own homes, feel free. (It sounds a little unreasonable when taken to the extreme, doesn't it?)

[My apologies to CACHE OWNER for using this cache to vent. I recommend that everyone -- including me -- goes back to caching using their own rules and guidelines.]

And finally, we end the suffering:

icon_note.gifNovember 14 by CACHE OWNER (1735 found)

cache was missing but i replaced it...

Whew!

Hope you enjoyed.

Jamie

icon_smile.gif After the creek crossing and the hike we are claiming a find even though all we found was the cord for the bag at the clue site. No sign of the orange match holder. Fabricated a makeshift replacement cache with a film canister covered by a piece of MOH (Material On Hand) and a bit of ground cover. Directly under the reminants of the original cache. I wonder if this had been a regular cache would this have happened? Brought a couple TB's out and have found 6 caches in the woods and all are micros. Does this make sense? Anyway this was a great trip including the stream crossing.

not only is this DNF= Smiley it's also replacing the cache without contacting the cache owner and complaining about the cache type (like it wasn't indicated on the cache page) and implying that a larger cache would have been less likely to have been muggled ?!?!? gotta love it.

I myself have never logged a cache that I or my cache partner did not find while we were working together. I personally however would allow the find if it has been SEEN and there is a photo to prove the find. Getting in the general area is not enough. Anyway DNF's are there for a reason, partly as a heads up to the owner that it may be missing and partly as a warning to the next cacher that it may be missing. I find no shame in logging a DNF and have returned to find caches that either were not found due to various factors ( including one cacher in the area who has a habit of posting co-ordinates that are off by a good 50 ft., we believe however that it is unintentional) including returning to one area 4 times.

the nerve?

Tim

i re-read the log and other posts i may have misread / misunderstood the post. it is poss. my applogies if this is what happened.

Tim

This is really a strange story about finding a cache that wasn't posted yet..

We placed a cache and was slow on reporting the new cache but it was in an unusual place and I wrote in the log book that please let me know what the rock building was long ago. I got an email explaining to me the rock house and after an hour or so I realized I didn't even fill out the cache page yet. Emailed the finder only to be told they were looking for the perfect spot to place a cache and found my cache so that was REALLY a FTF.

This was a wierd one. These two cachers found "A" cache, but not my cache. Another cacher had hidden a micro in the same general location, but never posted it on GC.com. The second log that mentioned the velcro tipped it off since mine was magnetic.

1. Got this one at night ---wish we hadn't already eaten! Love those rockers. Looked for a while for this because the coords were a bit off; at the cache itself the decimal numbers were N -- --.516 and W --- --.411. We finally zeroed in on it and tried to be sneaky as lots of muggles around --they probably wondered why we were looking around with a flashlight! BTW, the adhesive may need to be replaced. Thanks for a nice stop on our way from Oregon to Atlanta to St. Thomas.

2. I didn't have the coordinates for this one, but had just done the one in Tifton earlier in the day, spotted another front porch in Valdosta and figured it was worth a try. Had to perform serious cache maintenance. First, velcro on the container stayed with its partner when I retreived the cache. When I tried to pull the cache 1/2 of the 'crow', the base piece came off of its host. I replaced the velcro with new, since the host half was full of rust and paint chips. Also secured cache 1/2 of crow with fishing line. It ain't coming off of THAT sucker again. TFTH, #2 of 10 today

Anyway DNF's are there for a reason, partly as a heads up to the owner that it may be missing and partly as a warning to the next cacher that it may be missing.

Really? Gee, what a novel view of what a DNF is good for..... :laughing:

I thought it meant "I looked for it but I couldn't find it." That could be because I just wasn't looking in the right place and seeing the right things.

:huh: December 8 by Cacher Ca (361 found)

14:28 I'm pretty sure I found it, but there was no log to sign. Emailed owner with details. Cool little hiding place. TFTH!

[view this log on a separate page]

:huh: November 27 by Cacher B (68 found)

This is located at a park that we drive by on nearly a daily basis. It was the first time we have ever stopped. We took the travel bug and have e-mailed Reebo a reminder to log the drop. TFTH - Mud Club

:P November 21 by Cacher A (24 found)

forgot to log travel bug

:) November 21 by Cacher A (24 found)

Clue helped to find after we stopped laughing at what the Matutis found. T fish L travel bug #545*** (TBXXXX)

I notice you now get a smiley for a second log to drop a bug as well as a not found. It wasn't that hard a cache to find either.

December 10 byXxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxxxx (380 found)

WOW. a 1 1/2? Couldn't find it. Had to call [another cacher]. He held my hand and I still couldn't find it. I guess I'd better get my eyes checked! TFTC

This just amazes me. Cacher states twice that he didn't find it, then logs a "found it." He's obviously writing in English but seems to have no command of the language whatsoever. Wait, I've got it: Perhaps in his world, two "couldn't find it"s equals a "found it." Sort of like a double negative.

Some oldies but goodies...all logged on the same cache:

[Archived] May 16, 2004 by *Reviewer* (1207 found)

Always interesting seeing people log a cache that isn't there as found!

Cache has been gone from the site for quite a long time. I'm going to archive this one.

:unsure:  April 18, 2004 by xxxxxxxxx (41 found)

xxxx xxxxx and I couldn't figure out how you could know you found it, if it isn't there.... but then we found it and had no doubt it had been there...

:D  April 18, 2004 by xxxx xxxxx (895 found)

We found evidence of the missing cache, so we're following xxxxxx's lead and logging this one as a find! Very clever idea for a hiding spot!

:D  April 9, 2004 by XXXXXX (231 found)

Good name for this one because at the moment it is a lost cache. We found the exact spot where it was and thought the idea was very cool. Wish we could have actually seen the cache. Missing in action at the moment, but a great idea none the less. Thanks for the new cool idea.

Interesting sequence:

icon_note.gif November 14 by Cache owner (142 found)

Wow-it's amazing that you found it...especially since the physical cache itself has been relocated to another park almost a month ago!

icon_smile.gif  November 14 by xxxxxxx (373 found)

Didn't know it was archived. Found it without any problem...so TFT$

traffic_cone.gif October 27 by GCCOM  Admin (0 found)

Police were asked to remove the cache.

Archiving... sorry!

Edited by briansnat

I guess it's my fault. Almost never do I read logs before I go hunting for a cache. (Too many spoilers) After I log a DNF, then I read through the logs. This is what I discovered today... One find. Ten DNFs given permission to log a find. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have gone looking. Should have been 'temporarily unavailable.' It's been missing for almost a month!

December 18 by Harry Dolphin (664 found)

I guess that'll teach me not to read logs before I hunt for a cache. This one has been missing over a month.

We found the location easily, and spent some time climbing on the monument, though the search area was obvious from the cache page. Oh, well.

December 3 by AAAAAA (1175 found)

It wasn't where it was supposed to be, but when I got home I read the note and decided to log it anyway. I thought I wrote down the name of the sculptor but I can't find it now. Thanks for the hide.

December 2 by BBBBBB (65 found)

We, CCCCCC and I found this sight, alas no cache in hand, but I did get a sculpture of a Colt Model 1911 aimed at my head. Good enough.

December 2 by CCCCCC (313 found)

Found this one with BBBBBB this morning. We looked for an actual cache, but did not find one, so we assume this is still a visit and log site. I am posting a couple of photos from our visit.

November 30 by OWNER (143 found)

Ok, I returned to see what else I could come up with. I was stll smarting from the E Mail that I had gotten describing the series as too easy for a geocacher of skill from a certain party who shall remain nameless. So after scouting the area, I was drawn back to the Monument area and I performed some CITO, and then it came to me. I will have a new container in place by the end of the week. My suggestion is that you try and grab this one (during free log time) before the new hide goes in. Thank you very much.

November 29 by EEEEEE (966 found)

#961 - Unfortunately, the cache location is still wet, so we'll be back to log in when it's back.

Very nice memorial....thanks to OWNER for bringing us here!

November 27 by FFFFFF (504 found)

Found the wreath, but came up empty handed. I did the rest of the series today, so you can check my log there. There was also water there as described in previous logs. Thanks

November 26 by GGGGGG (83 found)

We were at this spot this morning and log is missing. Just got home and read Packanack's note. Boy, good thing we took a picture of XXXXXX at this site. TFTC.

November 25 by OWNER (143 found)

It appears as though the container is gone, it was a smallish heavyish pill fob. I will replace this week, however if the water condition that was present at HHHHHH's visit still exist I may need to move the same.If you visit during the period before replacement, please go ahead and log it as a find, but just add a little not to one of the other nearby log pages. Better yet, put up a photo. The whole idea of this series was to bring people over to this section of CITY to check on some history, so believe me if you come, I sure am not gonna get twisted if your name isn't on a peice of paper. Thanks for coming and taking a look.

November 25 by HHHHHH (4487 found)

Parked near the house at the bottom of the park. Went to see the monument. Then I reached where the description said and got only a handful of ice and cold water. However, OWNER said it is okay to log. So here it is. Thanks. Adding picture of monument.

November 23 by IIIIII (374 found)

In total reality, what I found was a chunk of ice in the depression that I believe once contained the cache. An impressive memorial. Used to live a few blocks from here before this memorial section of Pennington Park was created. Thanks for the reason to make a trip back here.

November 20 by JJJJJJ (212 found)

After careful review of the play at hand, it turns out that KKKKKK and I found it...Thanks!...

November 20 by KKKKKK (68 found)

JJJJJJ and I went out on Sunday for the 4 CITY micros.. we were there.. knew where the spot was, but it seems to have been taken. I e-mailed OWNER about it and he said we were right on. Thanks for the history of the area.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

icon_smile.gif November 19 by User (xxx found)

I said I'd be back...Attacked this one from a whole different direction and it worked! We got to the cache site and started to hunt..and hunt..and hunt. Fish & Game officer drove up and wanted to know what in the world we were doing. After we explained it to him, he got out of his truck and helped, but no luck. I did spot some pieces of snakeskin mentioned in earlier logs, but no cache.

After about 30 minutes, just when we were ready to give up, I spotted a piece of paper on the ground and figured I might as well CITO it - picked it up and noticed user's stamp on the paper - I'd found the log. Looked like it had been out in the weather for a while. I had a camo pouch in the truck, so I've replaced the cache in as close to the original location as I could divine. Hope it's OK

Ah, the old, "I couldn't find it, so I placed one" log.....

Interesting sequence:

user posted image November 14 by Cache owner (142 found)

Wow-it's amazing that you found it...especially since the physical cache itself has been relocated to another park almost a month ago!

user posted image  November 14 by xxxxxxx (373 found)

Didn't know it was archived. Found it without any problem...so TFT$

user posted image October 27 by GCCOM  Admin (0 found)

Police were asked to remove the cache.

Archiving... sorry!

I wonder if this isn't a case of a finder coming up with a "replacement" cache? Not something they placed, but something that someone else put in when they couldn't find it. Like the example I posted above. I've been watching that particular cache since it was placed. I'd bet the original, plus two "replacements" are in the area now.

The owner could remove the original, and still get finds from folks finding replacements.

Note the two finds after the marker needed for the answer was destroyed....

11/5/2005 by

xxx_jr and I found this cache after watching GT beat up on Wake Forest. This was a day of jr catching up with me. He found 15 caches around GT and my work against my 2 new finds for the day. We sent our answer to JB. Thanks for the hide!

11/5/2005 by xxx_jr

Enjoyed this hunt on a trip to the GT vs. WF game. Glad that I found this one. Thnx.

10/18/2005 by xxxx

The UDC marker needed to complete the cache has been destroyed.

<green dot> December 28, 2005 by REVIEWER (3 found)

Published at 6:43 p.m.

:laughing: December 26, 2005 by XXXXX (344 found)

Helped YYYYY pick the site for this cache. I thought this spot was going to be pretty difficult and I guess it has been. 

Yes, it was pretty difficult for the rest of us, but not if you helped hide it and logged your smiley 2 days before the cache was published.

I watch every cache I found, was surprised to get an email the other on cache that was found almost a year after it was archived. The cache was a codeword micro stuck to a park bench.

I have no idea what the latest finder found...

------ logs ----

January 2 by XXXXXX (110 found)

The actual cache may be gone, but someone has left a permanent clue at the original coordinates that are easy to locate.

February 12, 2005 by CacheHider (76 found) (This was an Archive message)

Another one bites the dust. In Brookline's zeal to spend its tax-payer's money, they ended up gettign rid of I Yen. If only they knew, if only they knew...

January 29, 2005 by YYYYY (1242 found)

WE looked high and low for this little one. the suggested seating spot had been dug out for us, however it had taken a hit from maybe the local snow plow the support was broken. maybe some one could check this out to see if it still there?

January 29, 2005 by ZZZZZZ (1080 found)

We didn't find it this time but will return to intensify our search.

January 16, 2005 by NotThePainter (67 found)

I went back today with my son and after a bit of searching found the cache. Nice hide! Then walked a bit to find part II of Buried Treasure, see that log...

Paul (and Jacob)