Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:( September 9 by XXX (907 found)

Well I found all but the container. The depression is there where the container was, the pile of sticks was over it and the pen was hanging in the tree just above it. There was a red truck stopped here a few minutes before I went for the find.

Here in Washington on vacation from Allentown PA. We enjoyed all the Geocaches along with our other adventures in the state. TFTF.

Wow

EDIT: I logged it as found

:( September 15 by Criminal (253 found)

I have found a number of sticks over the years, as well as depressions. I found a pen in my desk. I guess that’s enough to log this one as found.

Edited by Criminal
November 26, 2004 by XXXXXX (343 found)

:D Thanks to the cache owner, we are able to log this as a find. It wasn't there but we did look in the right place. Thanks again!!

Might as well get ride of the purple frownies altogther if we cam log DNFs as finds with the cache owners permission...

But at least these guys were in the right state.. not a thousand miles away when they logged it. :)

I am known as a geocacher that hides very difficult caches, therefore I know that some cachers are logging my caches as a "Found it" when they didn't find.

I have an evidence:

graffitti.jpg

Give that person some paint thinner/paint remover and a rag. Maybe during cleaning, he or she will find the micro! :ph34r:

Did someone really do that? that's aweful.

Dave

Posted after the cache was archived:

:blink:  December 13, 2003 by XXXXXX (1234 found)

Found the spot, but I was too late. Had the loc in my GPS and was thinking someone made off with the cache. Ahh, well. Cool cement tube you had it hid in.

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

Digging thru old cache logs from caches that we have found in the past...another oldie but goodie:

:blink:  May 21, 2004 by XXXXXXXX (142 found)

After months of driving past and not being able to stop, we finally did. Looked all over too, GPS within about 10', no cache. Looks like this one got plundered too!! At least I can say I got to stop!

from the same cache as above:

:blink:  March 20, 2004 by XXXXXXX (893 found)

After checking out the decoy, we found the right spot. We didn't actually find the cache itself, but did find parts of it. It looks like this cache is gone. We found an ink pen in the tree under some sticks. Also found a Susan B. Anthony on the ground below the tree. Could this be the one left on May 25, 2003??? The owners need to check on this one.

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

"(smiley) June 13, 2003 by XXXXXXX(369 found)

We have double checked and verified the coordinates, instructions and have posted the photos for this cache and delcare it ready to visit! As always if you have any suggestions just let us know!"

A found it by the cache owner. It appears they log a find for all their caches, some of their caches they've logged multiple finds. 59 of their finds are their own caches. :D

Edited by Wadcutter

icon_smile.gif September 16 by User (242 found)

We believe that this one is missing. We found the area and searched a long time before concluding that it must be gone. We saw where we believe it was previously located. We are from North Carolina and may not pass by again. We are counting it as a find because we believe it was here. Please check on this one. TFTH.

Cache was really found on Sept 17, Sept 21 and again on Sept 26. I like the "may not pass by again" rational for DNF=Find. Can I log all the Eastern European, Arctic and Antarctic caches as finds, cause I'm not likely to ever pass there? :rolleyes:

Edited by Isonzo Karst
This is a twist...

:ph34r:  July 28, 2004 by XXXX (589 found)

We went with the cache owner on a maintenance run and found the cache MIA. We helped them replace it and then signed the log. It really is a well-populated location. Thanks, (cache owners), for the extra effort.

I don't see anything wrong with this.

This is a twist...

:ph34r:  July 28, 2004 by XXXX (589 found)

We went with the cache owner on a maintenance run and found the cache MIA. We helped them replace it and then signed the log. It really is a well-populated location. Thanks, (cache owners), for the extra effort.

I wouldn't post a find. They hid the cache, not found it. It would be like me posting a find on my two caches that I replaced this weekend.

This is a twist...

B)  July 28, 2004 by XXXX (589 found)

I wouldn't post a find. They hid the cache, not found it. It would be like me posting a find on my two caches that I replaced this weekend.

Well, two points.

First, this isn't the issue of the thread..."Found it=DNF"...since they clearly "found" the cache.

And, this also isn't the cache owner claiming a find on their cache...it's a friend accompanying them. Now that may be a very easy find, but at least it is a find...unlike many of the examples in this thread.

Edited by beejay&esskay
This is a twist...

B)  July 28, 2004 by XXXX (589 found)

Well, two points.

First, this isn't the issue of the thread..."Found it=DNF"...since they clearly "found" the cache.

And, this also isn't the cache owner claiming a find on their cache...it's a friend accompanying them. Now that may be a very easy find, but at least it is a find...unlike many of the examples in this thread.

Not that I really care how others play the game...I like to have fun! :D

But, I still don't see where this person actually found the cache...they saw the cache was MIA, then they helped hide it. Of course, if the owner is cool with it, then I don't have a problem! :D:DB)B)B)B)B)B)

May 31, 2004 by xxx xxxxx (14 found)

May not be proper Geocaching edicate, but I am claiming this as a find. Had a nice walk thru park, co-ords correct, however, cache had been either taken or moved elsewhere. Puddle Pirate and I could see where the cache had been. If it has been "stolen" it was recently. Indent in ground clearly definable.

Good hunt and another great area I was unaware of. Thanks

At least they agree that it's probably not proper etiquette! Hmmm....a clearly definable indentation...

October 5 by yyy (252 found)

I will claim this as a find even though I could not retrieve the cache to sign it. That is the problem with PDA's, if I had looked at home i would have been prepared with the right utensils. 

October 3 by xxx (63 found)

DNR - Did Not Retrieve.  I could touch the cache, I just couldn't retrieve it. Oh well I'll be back soon.

An interesting juxtaposition of logs...

xxx could touch it, but not sign the log, so he claimed a DNF. (Been there, done that, returned later for my smiley.)

yyy isn't as inhibited.

I really don't worry about what other cachers do - some people are just under achievers and just getting close is good enough for them. The fun for us is the actual find and nothing less will do.

We look hard and if we don't find it we log that we didn't in hopes of more clues. Then we go back and look again.

If the cache is messed up we try to have stuff along to fix it - to help out the owner. If we can't fix it we let them know it's messed up. We have been to more than a few that were not in tight containers and the log book was too wet to sign. Usually micro caches that are those key holder things and they are not protected enough to keep water out.

But we still log the visit.

An interesting one...this is one of a series of caches centered around a Monopoly theme. Each location is next to a location tied to a square on the Monopoly board. You need to FIND the micro. For extra credit, you can email the owner with the tie in to the board:

2/22/2005 :( by xxxxx

Looked hard at what I'm sure was the right spot . . . about the only spot to look within the +/- error range of my GPSr. Now that I'm home and can think through the steps, I got the Monopoly connection and email will follow.

3/12/2005 icon_disabled.gif by Cache Owner

MIA - will replace.

6/1/2005  :( by xxxxx

Did not find log but figured out the deed. Nice wordplay!

10/3/2005 :D by xxxxx

Even though this cache is no longer in operation, I did find where it used to be and got the Monopoly connection. TFTC!

Well...I didn't find the cache, everybody else logged a DNF, the cache is disabled...yep, that's a find! :D

log owner has several thousand finds, so it really shouldnt be about the numbers?

I've got some bad new about the cache. It dropped down the pipe. Sorry about this one but for some reason the caches in this area are placed for very tall cachers. I braced my foot on a piece of metal between the large PVC and the pole. Hooked the cache with my pen and got it to pull 90% out but got caught clearing the top and fell down inside with no hope of retrieving it. I put a RIP on the metal about 4 foot of the ground to prove for sure I was there. Sorry again but I don't carry a step stool to cache. I really don't understand how so many caches in the area are listed as wheelchair accessable (1 star terrian).

Just yesterday I found a logbook and goodies without a container. The ammo can must have been badly needed elsewhere. The hiding spot.. a hollow tree.. was obvious so I know the spot was correct. I logged it as a find.. cleaned up the mess and took it home to dry and have contacted the owner for a surface mailing point to return it all ready for a new box. Today the log was dry enough to sign.... Owner has yet to respond.

Box without a logbook?? I would say OK if there was other obvoius geocaching swag in the box, but if it is just an empty box then it becomes much more of a stretch to claim a find. I do carry an empty logbook for that possibility.

Box without a logbook?? I would say OK if there was other obvoius geocaching swag in the box, but if it is just an empty box then it becomes much more of a stretch to claim a find. I do carry an empty logbook for that possibility.

Sometimes, they are obvious: Remains of the dearly departed.

No log book. Obviously a (former) geocache. I asked and received permission to log it.

On the other hand, I received the following log today:

"we hike <XXXXX> back in july 05.. i wasn't

loging my finds back then. this was are first time

hiking out there. i didn't have a pic from the deck,

but i have one from the top of <XXXXX>..

i hope this is proof we were there.. ps we also found <other cache> too. thanks"

Ummmm. This is a webcam. "Post your picture (taken by the webcam) here as proof that you were there. This is required to log this cache!" Is this unclear? Am I missing something here? About 30% of the logs have not had the required picture. "Please change to note. Thanks." I am quite disheartened to realize that 30% of geocachers are willing to cheat with no compunctions!

Welcome to the real world, dude. :lol:

July 14 by x (500 found)

[view this log on a separate page]

February 25, 2003 by y (1139 found)

Under discussion with the other admins.

The above is the complete list of logs for this cache.

:)

This one is very puzzling to me. It's a cache that is archived. I don't ever remember seeing it available. (It's less than 20 miles from my home.) The only reason I ever noticed this find log was I was looking for all archived caches in a nearby county.

Did "x" just enter a real find on the wrong cache? Or is it a convenient way to pad numbers without anybody noticing?

[Edited to add]

OK, I got curious and went to check. On this same date he logged finds (with no comment) on 5 long-archived caches in my general vicinity, all placed by the same cacher who quit the game a number of years ago. When people say "everybody plays the game their own way", they REALLY mean that. :)

Edited by beejay&esskay

This was logged a few days ago at a local cache...

:unsure: October 21 by XXX XXX (258 found)

Even with the help of the building owner who informed us that everyone else that was looking today couldn't find it.We had no luck either. Sorry to have not been able to log this one. Let me know if it's still there.

October 21 by YYY YYY (20 found)

:huh: and :D We found the "changing room" without difficulty and the Evan's house sign without difficulty. Couldn't find the magnetic key box (even stood on one of barrier posts to check on top). We looked pretty thoroughly and even found steel upon which the box could have been attached--no log--no box. I think it is gone.

They were caching together and yet apparently only XXX knew how to log correctly. Makes me wonder if YYY's other 19 Finds are really Finds!

By the way, if a "definable indentation" is all it takes to get a Found It! at a Did Not Find, I am going to start drawing boxes in the dirt!!!

Oooh-and someone had mentioned caches you can see but are too high to reach? The cache before this one was a film canister with a key chain on it, hung from a young branch about 6 feet above eye level on a tree, in plain site! I guess the idea is to climb the tree to get it down. I am 6 feet tall and climbing that tree never would have helped!!! I got it-the dirty way. :D

icon_sad.gif July 2 by xxxx(5 found)

This was our first geocaching attempt. Unfortunately, we didn't find it, only an empty tupperware container that says "bubbles". We'll have to try again later.

icon_smile.gif July 3 by xxxx(2 found)

First try at geocaching, found the lid but nothing else

icon_disabled.gifJuly 3 by xxxx(79 found)

After seeing a couple of unsuccessful attempts, I stopped by to service the cache.

The cache is not currently there, but will be back up soon!

icon_smile.gif July 4 by xxxx(113 found)

Found this one (empty container) with xxx.

icon_smile.gif July 4 by xxxx(128 found)

Found an empty container with no lid. ;)

So...one guy found the entire empty container and claimed a DNF. But, if you find only the LID, that's a find! And of course, if you find the empty AFTER the owner has disabled the cache...you found it! ;):rolleyes:

I can't even begin to understand the "logic" of this one:

:) September 24 by xxxxxx (580 found)

After all 5 haveing a good look with the long arm near by we desided it was probable gone so we left a micro in a nice spot lets hope it get found

This is from a well-concealed urban nano-cache with many DNFs but also several finds, both before and after this bizarre post. I was lucky to snag the FTF on this clever hide, but now it's a little unclear (at least to me) just which container the subsequent finders are actually finding.

icon_smile.gifSince we have come 5000 miles to cache in Anchorage, and since we walked through the bog and got within 15 feet of the red flagging tape; and, since two huge moose cows were standing right beside the tape, and we did not feel we should go any closer (we stood there for a few minutes hoping the moose would move, but they did not move)--and a large bird was on the back of one of the moose, therefore, since we found the red tape and could not get to the cache due to the moose, we will appreciate being able to log this cache as a find.

Very experienced cachers. Logged another cache on their trip that had been muggled with a log that said something like "found lots of places a cache could have been." I'd post the log, but the cache owner deleted it.

icon_smile.gifI'm not really counting this as a find but instead as a lesson learned and a way of putting some miles on a ____ coin. This is my first cache attempt/find since arriving in ____. The snow was deeper than I thought. I learned a valuable lesson from this find.

The "finder's" signature was not in the log book.

icon_smile.gifI hope XXX will let me get credit for this one. I was unable to get a web photo but I did take a digital photo that I will post soon.

The finder never did post a photo for this webcam.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
:lol: October 24 by CACHER (620 found)

Well I kinda found it. Found what appeared to be the proper location, but no cache. Contacted cache owner later and verified I was in proper place and the container appears to be missing. Since I don't live nearby and he is away on military duty we are going to try to get a nearby cacher to replace the container. Visited site at 11:00.

Jamie

I can't even begin to understand the "logic" of this one:

:D September 24 by xxxxxx (580 found)

After all 5 haveing a good look with the long arm near by we desided it was probable gone so we left a micro in a nice spot lets hope it get found

This is from a well-concealed urban nano-cache with many DNFs but also several finds, both before and after this bizarre post. I was lucky to snag the FTF on this clever hide, but now it's a little unclear (at least to me) just which container the subsequent finders are actually finding.

That happens a lot more than you realize. Can't find it, so it must be gone. Here is a container, I'll take a smiley.

I recall hearing of one cache that had 3 containers due to this.

"I recall hearing of one cache that had 3 containers due to this."

My husband and I found 2 magnetic hide-a-keys at cache site in Orlando one day. And apparently, from an email exchange with the owner, neither of them his hide! He did let our smiley stand, but went out and cleaned up all the extra hide-a-keys in the area.

That happens a lot more than you realize. Can't find it, so it must be gone. Here is a container, I'll take a smiley.

I recall hearing of one cache that had 3 containers due to this.

Wow, no kidding? That's the first time I've personally encountered this particular behavior. Perhaps I should get out more! Thanks for the insight.

November 13 by x (1173 found)

[i stopped here on my way from y to z to check on my cache. I had noticed that this one was MIA, so I made sure I had a replacement micro with me. The was only one matching item in the immediate area so I'm sure it's in the right spot. I did search for the old cache first without success.

It happens all the time. In this case, the previous cache probably isn't there...but x still claimed a find on a cache he hid.

Hiding replacement cache for others just seems wrong, even if you don't claim it as a find.

A post in another thread used as an example...logged on a virtual cache:

:D October 7, 2002 by XxxxxXxxx (231 found)

I'm calling this an I Found It -- technically. Got to the coordinates and parked. While walking to a small building and watching the GPS to zero in on the coords, the owner of the land called out watcha lookin for?. We walked over and explained geocaching and this cache. He explained why we were not finding an old-looking building -- it's NOT THERE anymore!!!. He donated the blacksmith shop and all the contents to a local Historical Society. They came and disassembled the building, and moved it away on a truck. I'm calling this a find because we found where it was a week ago and talked to the owner of it. Xxx Xxxxx -- time to close this cache down.

This is on a micro that had several logs indicating a homeless guy had taken up residence directly below the cache.

:ph34r: Well, seems that the homless guy is long gone, but left his baggage. Must've moved on to Lydia House or variant thereof. Didn't enter since it was late and dark. Ironically I work across the street from this cache and never knew there was one here. Thanks for the hunt, I'll find the treasure durning the day. :(

So...I work across the street, I'm afraid to go in, so that counts as a find? :(;)

Edit: Formatting

Edited by BooBear
blah blah

Please stay on topic. This is a thread for posting logs where people claim a find when they didn't find the cache. If you want to have a discussion about logging finds, please take it to an appropriate thread, or start your own.

Thanks,

Jamie

March 30 by Team Sagefox (1412 found)

xxxxx xxxxxxxx posted a find for this cache but didn't actually find the container. I am changing that find to a note. Here is a copy of their find log:

xxxxx xxxxxxxx: Now is this some kind of cruel joke? We found the cache but could not retrieve it since it had been thrown 5 feet into a poison oak infested thorny berry bush. I count it as a find but Sagefox ought to place it somewhere a little more accessible.

April 10 by Team Sagefox (1412 found)

Checked on the container today and it is right where it is supposed to be, easily reached and not 5' into the brush.

I hid my first cache a month ago. It was archived within a week as it brought such an increase in foot traffic thatthe neighbors were sure we were up to no good! AdMin archived it, and I removed the cache...a film canister, that day. A week later, a multi cache 3 townships over was having a lot of trouble with it's first leg-also a film canister. So, I recycled my sad little loser cache and placed it as the first leg for the otherwise successful multi-cache.

THIS WEEKEND, someone logged a find at my loser cache, said "Didn't know it was archived. Found it with no problem." THERE IS NOTHING THERE!!!! There is not even a log to sign, how can you find it??????? Grr....