Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

For an underwater cache:

:rolleyes:  I could see this one, but.... after reading past logs & knowing the mess expected & the inability to get it open by others, I decided not to pull it out. There were also 64,000 muggles in the area that would have seen me retrieve it. A really great cache that I may see if I can improve on when I  copy it.
I disagree. When I encountered a cache like this, I tried building a step from rocks and debris found in that area. When that failed, I walked the half mile back to the car to see what I could come up with. I noticed a beach chair and brought that along and used it to bag the cache. If there was nothing in the car I would have come back another day with the appropriate tools.

See, that's fine for a cache in the woods. But the problem occurs when it's a cache in an urban setting, with lots of people in the area (some logs mentionning security guards and such). In this case, as I said, there is nothing handy (rocks for example) to climb on and you would certainly get noticed if you brought along a beach chair. The reason why I wont do this cache is not an unwillingness to bring the proper tools (I do own a stepping ladder that fits in the car). The reason is that doing it would endanger the cache. While a tall person can grab it discreetly, a short person has to do very strange things to get to it. I feel very uncomfortable doing something that might get a cache muggled, though I know many people don't care and just go for it anyway.

So I guess the only way I'll get this kind of caches is if I ever find some tall person to go caching with me.

I disagree. When I encountered a cache like this, I tried building a step from rocks and debris found in that area. When that failed, I walked the half mile back to the car to see what I could come up with. I noticed a beach chair and brought that along and used it to bag the cache. If there was nothing in the car I would have come back another day with the appropriate tools.

See, that's fine for a cache in the woods. But the problem occurs when it's a cache in an urban setting, with lots of people in the area (some logs mentionning security guards and such). In this case, as I said, there is nothing handy (rocks for example) to climb on and you would certainly get noticed if you brought along a beach chair.

The cache I referred to was in a city park. I did get funny looks from people while I walking through the park carrying a beach chair, particularly because it was January and there was snow on the ground.

:blink: May 11, 2003 by pppp (682 found)

2:07 pm Found lots of remains of the cache but no actual pod.

:mad: May 11, 2003 by Azzzzzz (12 found)

2:07 AS we were looking I found an glo-n dark alligator on the ground & a tennis ball from the courts.

:huh: May 11, 2003 by Ggggggggr (857 found)

2:07pm We looked and looked and no go. We sat and decrypyed, then looked and looked some more. We are sure we found the right location, but no cache. Then Azzzzzzz found the glow in the dark alligator that Snoogans left behind on there visit. Could this cache be gone? Or, maybe someone else took the alligator but dropped it on there way out (I don't think so, at least it wasn't logged out). The alligator was exactly where the cache pod should have been.

The very next log was from the owner verifying that the cache was still there, intact,

Edited by briansnat
Folks are taking this virtual cache to an extreme by logging finds, as the statue has been missing since December. :D It is a virtual find I guess.

Madonna of the Trail

:D  February 23 by Ggggggggg (1250 found)

Yep! it's still gone. This was one of the last as it was dark and the traffic was horrific at that intersection. Would have liked to have seen the statue...maybe another time. Anyway, e-mail of the nearest govt. bldg. is forthcoming.

:D  February 22 by saaaaaa found)

Pedestal, no statue -- I wonder what happened to it, and why?

:D  January 27 by dddddd (115 found)

Found it on a business trip to Bethesda. I'm sorry that the statue is temporarily gone. I would have loved to see it.

:D  January 19 by Bbbbbbs (1940 found)

woohoo... number six in this series of 12  Email on the way... was sorry that madonna was awol but could see where she would have been...

Sheesh :D .

On an archived cache:

[snipped to save unnecessary duplication]

Jamie

I allowed this find for a couple of reasons; one, I thought it would illustrate to newbies that they should NOT simply log a "find" when they didn't find it, but should ASK the owner first, and let the OWNER decide. Second, I felt that being a nice guy to a newbie was worth something.

Well, you had it right, BEFORE you added "but........."

You simply should NOT log a find if you didn't find the cache PERIOD.

The three most recent logs:

icon_sad.gifFebruary 14 by ****** (## found)

Felt like a fool. Well what do you expect I just hit my 13th and am stuck. Searched 10 trees, 3 light poles, bushes, parking stops, and pulled an angry squirrel out of a hole in the tree and still did not find it. I'll be back but I wonder if the yard workers who cut off some limbs may have gotten into it?????? ******* ***

The cache owner checks on the cache and disables it with the following:

icon_disabled.gifFebruary 16 by ****** ***** (0 found)

I went by and checked on the cache today.

I found reminisce of it, but no cache.

Sorry

Two weeks later, the DNFer claims a find

icon_smile.gifMarch 1 by ****** (## found)

Okay, I am laying claim to a find here, even though I found no containor....I found the other elements and exactly where it WOULD have been. Isn't this fair to claim it as a find? I like the cache and would like to see it restored. God bless. ******* ***

I guess that is one way to play....

I just webfooted through all 6 pages/250+posts to this thread and am a little surprised this set of circumstances hadn't been discussed already (or I overlooked it :blink: ).

Was out caching with a group on Sunday-found the park described in the cache page, found ground zero which had recently been the spot of a fire :rolleyes: . So recently that there was still ash that hadn't been washed away by rain or morning dew, and the smell was still noticiable. The cache was a tupperware hidden in a (clue) still standing hollowed out tree. After about 15 minutes of looking at everything possible we examined a now-fallen hollow tree base, and the pile of ashes and burnt wood at the base. We discovered, and came up with very recognizable charred metal remnants of several buttons, a flashlight bulbholder/battery contact, and a few coins, as well as some unrecognizable metal items. Of course the plastic container and log book are gone.

We obviously found what is left of this cache. It hasn't been logged since 12/30. I emailed the cache owner asking for their opinion on found/didn't find 72 hours ago, and haven't heard back. I'm not surprised-they haven't been on the website since 7/04, only had six finds, and this was their only hide. :huh:

I have my opinion on what to do(big surprise there :( ), I'm curious as to what you would do in this case.

I've always loved this one:

:lol:  Found the park easily, thought we had found the cache site easily; no cache. Hint supported where we were; still no cache. Site looks like it has been beaten up. May have been stolen. (Or we just suck!) Nice park that we drive by a couple of times a year! If it turns out the cache HAS been stolen, will change this to a "found."

After reading his log I went to inspect the cache. After I confirmed the cache was MIA, I posted this:

Since this was my first find back in May, it really bums me out to say it but the cache is gone. After seeing the last post I stopped off to check on it and sure enough, it's gone MIA.

Scoobie

The cacher saw my post and changed his No Find to a Found since he was in the general area of the cache even though it wasn't there. I sent a note to the cacher asking him why he would log a find when there was nothing there. His response was "I found the location where the cache was supposed to be. I'm sure we both have better things to worry about". I agreed with the latter part of that statement and dropped the issue considering I wasn't the cache owner.

In the cachers defense, he posted this several months later:

We had "found" this cache back in September when it was missing but logged it anyway (as we were not going to be back there for ages). It seems that "for ages" is now as we drove by on the way from IL to NC. Stopped in to sign the log officially. Took a multi-sided dice, left a superball, an Edward Jones Mighty Grip kitchen tool, and the TwoPandas TB. TFTC!

Names have been deleted to protect the guilty :lol:

Scoob

I just webfooted through all 6 pages/250+posts to this thread and am a little surprised this set of circumstances hadn't been discussed already (or I overlooked it :lol: ).

Was out caching with a group on Sunday-found the park described in the cache page, found ground zero which had recently been the spot of a fire :lol: . So recently that there was still ash that hadn't been washed away by rain or morning dew, and the smell was still noticiable. The cache was a tupperware hidden in a (clue) still standing hollowed out tree. After about 15 minutes of looking at everything possible we examined a now-fallen hollow tree base, and the pile of ashes and burnt wood at the base. We discovered, and came up with very recognizable charred metal remnants of several buttons, a flashlight bulbholder/battery contact, and a few coins, as well as some unrecognizable metal items. Of course the plastic container and log book are gone.

We obviously found what is left of this cache. It hasn't been logged since 12/30. I emailed the cache owner asking for their opinion on found/didn't find 72 hours ago, and haven't heard back. I'm not surprised-they haven't been on the website since 7/04, only had six finds, and this was their only hide. :lol:

I have my opinion on what to do(big surprise there :lol: ), I'm curious as to what you would do in this case.

You found the cache. Albeit melted, charred and scorched......you still found the cache. Log that baby.

Scoob

I just webfooted through all 6 pages/250+posts to this thread and am a little surprised this set of circumstances hadn't been discussed already (or I overlooked it :lol: ).

Was out caching with a group on Sunday-found the park described in the cache page, found ground zero which had recently been the spot of a fire :lol: . So recently that there was still ash that hadn't been washed away by rain or morning dew, and the smell was still noticiable. The cache was a tupperware hidden in a (clue) still standing hollowed out tree. After about 15 minutes of looking at everything possible we examined a now-fallen hollow tree base, and the pile of ashes and burnt wood at the base. We discovered, and came up with very recognizable charred metal remnants of several buttons, a flashlight bulbholder/battery contact, and a few coins, as well as some unrecognizable metal items. Of course the plastic container and log book are gone.

We obviously found what is left of this cache. It hasn't been logged since 12/30. I emailed the cache owner asking for their opinion on found/didn't find 72 hours ago, and haven't heard back. I'm not surprised-they haven't been on the website since 7/04, only had six finds, and this was their only hide. :lol:

I have my opinion on what to do(big surprise there :lol: ), I'm curious as to what you would do in this case.

I'd DNF it. You found what certainly appears to be, and probably was, the hiding spot. The charred remains very possible could have been the cache. But the bottom line was, you didn't find the cache, you didn't sign the log.

It is still an adventure. It will still make an interesting log entry, but it isn't a find.

Regarding the SBA: I would SBA it only if the hider is not active. If the hider is active, I'd send them an email (because not everyone reads the log entries) and let them have the option of replacing it or archiving it.

Was out caching with a group on Sunday-found the park described in the cache page, found ground zero which had recently been the spot of a fire  :lol: . So recently that there was still ash that hadn't been washed away by rain or morning dew, and the smell was still noticiable. The cache was a tupperware hidden in a (clue) still standing hollowed out tree. After about 15 minutes of looking at everything possible we examined a  now-fallen hollow tree base, and the pile of ashes and burnt wood at the base. We discovered, and came up with very recognizable charred metal remnants of several buttons, a flashlight bulbholder/battery contact, and a few coins, as well as some unrecognizable metal items. Of course the plastic container and log book are gone.

I have my opinion on what to do(big surprise there  :lol: ), I'm curious as to what you would do in this case.

I'd DNF it. You found what certainly appears to be, and probably was, the hiding spot. The charred remains very possible could have been the cache. But the bottom line was, you didn't find the cache, you didn't sign the log.

It is still an adventure. It will still make an interesting log entry, but it isn't a find.

Regarding the SBA: I would SBA it only if the hider is not active. If the hider is active, I'd send them an email (because not everyone reads the log entries) and let them have the option of replacing it or archiving it.

I disagree. They found the cache, but due to circumstances beyond their control, were unable to sign the log (unless they could sign ashes). If you found a cache with a log book so wet you couldn't sign it, would that be a DNF for you? You found it, didn't you? Signing the log is not an all-out, devil-beat-all, necessity in claiming a smiley face, as has been noted several times throughout this post and others. Each situation is different, no black and white can cover it all. This is definitely worthy of a smiley.

... If you found a cache with a log book so wet you couldn't sign it, would that be a DNF for you? ...

With a wet log, you can always pull a piece of paper out of your pocket, sign it and place it in the cache. So, what you should have done was pull out a piece of paper, sign it, light it on fire and place it in the pile of ashes. THAT would be a find.

I am only replying because I saw Sparkey's reply. Went out and found the remnants of a cache. Contents were scattered around a twenty foot area. We found the log book and it even had a description of the events of the cache's demise. We signed the log book and made arrangements to get it back to the owner. Logged it as a find and noted it needed to be archived.

[quote name=me :D ]We obviously found what is left of this cache. It hasn't been logged since 12/30. I emailed the cache owner asking for their opinion on found/didn't find 72 hours ago, and haven't heard back. I'm not surprised-they haven't been on the website since 7/04, only had six finds, and this was their only hide.  I have my opinion on what to do(big surprise there  :laughing:), I'm curious as to what you would do in this case.

Feel free to continue to debate the merits of this particular situation if you like. We decided as a group that unless there was a strong "no" from the cache owner, which would have been puzzling, it was indeed a find. I think that they are one of the many who try this for a while and decide it isn't really fun for them. Too bad, they picked a really nice spot for a hide. I hope someone more active puts another one here soon.

For what it's worth, there were nine of us together that afternoon, and we're all far from noobs. It wasn't really even a judgement call in my book. I was just curious what others would do. :D I do like the suggestion that 7th made though. :D

PS thanks for the opinion Sparky. Where have you been? :D

Edited by wimseyguy

With ~10 caches out there, the first time I've felt the need to post to this forum:

:D Although we did not find the actual cache (and we were filthy and rusty before we gave up) we consider this one found as we knew we were in the right place by the clue

Edited --> Cacher has since changed their log to a DNF.

E

Edited by Eswau

This one just popped in from my watchlist:

I found both boxes easily enough but could not open the second box. Maybe it got a little rusty or the combination has been changed. Anyway, I didn't want to force it. Nice idea for a cache and a good way to spend some time on a quite Sunday morning

Here's a funny self story... On Feb.23rd'05 I was going for the cache "Big Tree Above Manoa"-GCJF87 here on Oahu, Hawaii. I got to where I knew the proper place to park was. Turned on my GPS (Garmin Etrex Legend) which I've named Blue and punched in Go To nearest waypoint without doublechecking if it was the same as I had planned on. I had a terrific time hiking and singing to myself then low and behold I found a cache. Wierd... There's a spooky looking "homestead", no real large trees, and it's overlooking Palolo Valley instead! Oh well I placed Lois the Love Bug TB in and signed the log. Upon returning home and logging all this on the Geocaching site, I realised that I hadn't gone where I thought. Oh no! I used the wrong waypoint and went to "Solitude Amonst the Pines"-GCJPHH. Sooo on Feb.26 I really went to "Big Tree-", found it and of course fixed the logs. Whew.

Find log on a cache with three earlier DNF logs (and which no one has ever found) :

Logging the cache as we made it to the site and after looking at previous entries, quick looking. I will add a picture latter to confirm we were there.

April 16 by x (75 found)

We finished off the xxx caches by coming to this spot and had a look. Nothing was there whatsoever, but we just read it had been muggled. Hopefully a new one will get set up soon! Thanks for the lovely walk.

Found absolutely "nothing was there". :laughing:

Sometimes I just need to vent.

May 7 by xxxxxxx (16 found)

First find of the day. 5:00pm. Saw the cache, knew exactly where it was. BUT, too many ppl around, so i decided i would go find some more and come back when the double header was over. Found 2 more caches, got some dinner and came back around 8:45 that night. It was still packed. I didnt get to sign the log or even touch the cache. SO i dont know if it is actually a find or not. I saw the container though. Have to go back one evening and sign the book...Nice place

sigh..........

Both logged as finds by the same person:

I found the marker on a cold rainy day in april. It was pouring out so I wasnt able to search too hard for the Cache though. My freinds camp is on Gilman pond in Lexington at about the same latitude

I found the bridge and the tree roots, yet there was evidence of some recent flooding in the area. The tree roots were all caved in and the loose rocks had fallen down. Could it be that the cache suffered another wash out? After Sunday where I was on Gilman pond the Sandy was overflowing over & around the dam at a pretty strong clip so I doubt if the cache survived that torrent!

Another example of "I did the work, I didn't find it, but give me a smiley". ;)

May 15 by X (498 found)

Y has done this one before and says it's definitely a goner. Other logs show DNF's as well. There's only a few spots to hide this, and it's not where it used to be. Logging this as a find since it should have been an easy find, IF it was still there.

By the way, the other DNF logs actually were DNFs, not "Finds". :(

498, huh? Well, I thought of going after this cache and, if I had, it would have been an easy find, but it rained so I stayed home and watch World Series of Poker for the 12th time. So give me a smiley.

It's all in the numbers. :D

October 17, 2004 by XXXXX (5 found)

Well my 4.5 year old son found the first part of this cache. We couldn't find parts two or three but it was getting late. Great first part!

Apparently he isn't much of a cacher. I looked at his profile to find he's had an account since sometime in 2003 and he only has 5 finds!

May 30 by XXXXXX (262 found)

Memorial Day, and the weather is beautiful. Had to hike up the ridge from XXXXX. Still alot of snow on many sections of the trail on the north face. Summit is full of snow on the cabin and cache area. The benchmarks are snow free. Snow cave allowed me to move rocks on cache with my walking stick, but I could not retrieve it @ 12:50pm. I'll be back in July to sign the log. Fifth cache of the day, now to enjoy some lunch

April 21, 2004 by XXXX (9890 found)

Yes that was me in the Jeep driving to within mere feet of the cache. I waved but no one noticed me.

He put a smiley face on it. I went to his profile and looked at a few others and didn't notice any more, but I really don't want to waste a lot of my time policing his logs since he lives with what he posts, not me. This guy is in my area and will probably at an upcoming picnic, can't wait to meet him!

Just stumbled upon this thread today! Thank you all for the hilarious stories! Personally, I have no shame about logging a DNF, even on a micro rated difficulty/terrain of 1/1 which has been found by hundreds of people in the past, with nary a DNF till mine. Maatter of fact, I have filed DNFs on two 1/1 urban micros in the past week -- turned them both into fun notes! The only time I will hold off on filing a DNF is if we are looking for a cache rated difficulty 4 or 5 (in terms of the hide/camouflage) and we left the site before finishing our search, planning to return a few days later. In this case, we have not finished searchign for an admittedly difficult find that can easily take 4 to 5 hours to find, and thus I will usually not bother to file a DNF until our search has been completed.

May 7 xxxxxxxxx (804 found)

This one's offline for now until I can replace the container. Sorry for the inconvenience!

(found) May 6 by xxxxxxxx (85 found)

xxxxxxxxxxxxx and I did find where it was suppose to be, but all that is left is the hook... needs to be checked out. Thanks!

(found) May 6 by xxxxxxxxxxx (63 found)

Found the branch and the hook - logging the cache, but no log to sign - with xxxxxxxxx

(DNF) April 23 by xxxxx (276 found)

We found evidence of where the cache should be but the actual cache was missing. May need to check this one out.

All I can say is I thought DNFs were for the NEXT people who might come looking, or the cache owner... If you turned away due to mosquitoes, or muggles, say so! Maybe someone will remember to bring their bug spray because of you and have a better time all around. Let people know what possible problems they may have! Why would you not? Is there some ratio/stats somewhere I don't know about where it would be a bad thing to log DNFs? I actually think (as an admitted noob) that DNFs say far more about the geocacher then logged finds... it shows honesty, and it helps the next to come down that trail.

My first try was logged DNF, and right now I have as many DNFs as finds, I am obviously not embarassed about this, but rather am happy to contribute to the quality of data in the gc.com DB.

Is there some ratio/stats somewhere I don't know about where it would be a bad thing to log DNFs?

No, there's not.

I actually think (as an admitted noob) that DNFs say far more about the geocacher then logged finds... it shows honesty, and it helps the next to come down that trail.

My first try was logged DNF, and right now I have as many DNFs as finds, I am obviously not embarassed about this, but rather am happy to contribute to the quality of data in the gc.com DB.

Keep thinking that way. Personally, I know some of my best and funniest logs are DNFs. Sometimes, there's a better story to tell NOT finding the cache, than if you had walked right up to it.

Folks, I agree 100%. I always file DNFs quickly and easily, once I have finished a reasonable search for a cache. I have even filed DNFs for two local 1/1 (Difficulty/Terrain) rated caches, and am proud of it! I too feel that DNFs are a service to the caching community and to the cache owner, and frankly, much as IV_Warrior wrote, many of my DNF stories are funnier than my found logs.

So could there not be something clarifying this in the FAQ, and making clear why a DNF is just as important to log, and also proves you were there, as a find does!

Right now I see this

What do I do if I find out that a cache has gone missing?

If you visit a cache location and the cache is missing, always make sure to log the cache as "not found" on the web site so the cache owner knows. If you notice that the logs show an unusual number of "not found" logs, please inform this web site so we can check on the cache page. The cache can be temporarily disabled so the cache owner can check in on it. Sometimes, though rarely, when the cache owner cannot be contacted we can either allow folks to adopt the cache or have the cache removed completely from the site. We rely a lot on the geocaching community to let us know the status of caches in their area.

on http://www.geocaching.com/faq/ 2nd to last thing...

This seems clear, but maybe just make the point that a DNF is NOT a mark against you, rather it is a method of tracing pillaged caches, and of providing feedback, much as a note entry is used. People see the unhappy face and assume that means failure on their part, although they struggled to get there... Maybe just chainging the icon from a smiliey face to a question mark or some other "unknown cache status" symbol would work towards changing this outlook.

April 21, 2004 by XXXX (9890 found)

Yes that was me in the Jeep driving to within mere feet of the cache. I waved but no one noticed me.

He put a smiley face on it.  I went to his profile and looked at a few others and didn't notice any more, but I really don't want to waste a lot of my time policing his logs since he lives with what he posts, not me.  This guy is in my area and will probably at an upcoming picnic, can't wait to meet him!

She, not he. A good number of the logs in this thread are hers. More from the same day from the same person:

:o  April 21

A SMILE is JUST a frown turned upside down! What a difference a day makes and the owner's confirmation that it's okay to change the log. Thanks xxxxxx!

Didn't see that this was disabled - it would have saved me 2 trips. Spent good amount of time 1st time, made a dial-a-friend or two and came back after the other cache...still no dice and then I tried to reach xxxxx but called the wrong law office. Figured it had to be muggled.

Owner verified it missing.

:D 

You whooped my butt on this one!

Spent a long while there & the heck with being inconspicuous because I was lying on my back looking up and crawling and feeling, poking, peeking all over that piece of artillery. NO ONE EVEN INQUIRED which is the sad part as if this is nothing new.

Didn't even do a dial a friend which in retrospect I should have because if it's still there I might have to shoot myself!

Thank you for the confirmation that I wasn't going crazy!

Also confirmed missing by owner.

Edited by briansnat

I know now that he is a she and I did meet her. I am unimpressed with her total since I found this link. Everyone is making such a big deal about her number of finds. I just bite my toungue! I still consider myself new with only 1 month and 24 finds under my belt, but at least I know I signed the log and I log each DNF as well.

I know now that he is a she and I did meet her. I am unimpressed with her total since I found this link. Everyone is making such a big deal about her number of finds. I just bite my toungue! I still consider myself new with only 1 month and 24 finds under my belt, but at least I know I signed the log and I log each DNF as well.

Please use another forum for discussing finds or lack thereof. This thread is for posting anonymous "Found It" logs where the cacher failed to find the cache, and not the discussion of said logs.

Thanks.

Jamie

:P May 30 by CACHER (434 found)

I really hate to "kill" a cache but this one is gone. Thanks for the  :D  CACHE OWNER.

:P May 30 by CACHER (29 found)

#2 I knew where it should be.

If it's any consolation, the cache owner posted a note to the cache page ok-ing the finds.

Jamie

Please use another forum for discussing finds or lack thereof. This thread is for posting anonymous "Found It" logs where the cacher failed to find the cache, and not the discussion of said logs.

Well technically it was anonymous, (and still is... no names were posted) , but posting the number of finds (nearly 10,000) kind of gives away the identity.

:P Seems we found the other half of what used to be the geocache. We saw the Byrne Dairy cup but didn' think of a cache being in one of those, so therefore we didn't sign any logs. We found the lid to the cache, in what I believe was the original hiding place. Perhaps the next finder would sort out the cup and the lid and the log and get all of the cache back together in one place.

With this pic:2b08ffe1-586b-4053-8db3-3e5787944136.jpg

Oh, I guess I can say it- that was me about a year ago. I have since gone back, found the replaced container, and written in that actual logbook, so I think it's okay now.

:D April 23 by XXXX&VVVVV (2650 found)

XXX XXXXX XXXXXX-X graciously granted us permission to log this cache "found". Apparently, we searched the right area but Mother Nature moved the cache to places unknown. Thanks for bringing us to a cool place.

With "finds" like that, no wonder the numbers are so high! :D

My 10yo daughter's TB has been stuck in Indiana for a few months, and she was bugging me (no pun intended) to check it again so I checked to see if anyone had found the cache but just not moved the bug. I found this:

:lol: June 20 by XXXXXXXXXXX (46 found)

Found the first part, but ran out of time to continue with the 2nd. Will try again soon. Have a pretty good idea where the 2nd cache is hidden. Coordinates for the 2nd part are intact in log book.

T-shell

L-mermaid

SLTFTC

The log before was a DNF:

:D May 27 by XXXXXXXX (271 found)

I found the first stage but didn't see anything that had coordinates to a second stage. Must have overlooked it somehow.

:D April 23 by XXXX&VVVVV (2650 found)

XXX XXXXX XXXXXX-X graciously granted us permission to log this cache "found". Apparently, we searched the right area but Mother Nature moved the cache to places unknown. Thanks for bringing us to a cool place.

With "finds" like that, no wonder the numbers are so high! :lol:

Not to derail what is one of my favorite threads, but what is the rational behind the cache owner “allowing” a find? Either you find it or you don’t, how can you log it as “found” if you didn’t handle the container or scribble in the logbook?

BTW, my other favorite thread is the Useless Hints one also by JamieZ.

Not to derail what is one of my favorite threads, but what is the rational behind the cache owner “allowing” a find? Either you find it or you don’t, how can you log it as “found” if you didn’t handle the container or scribble in the logbook

I never got that one either. Kind of like an owner awarding a FTF to someone other than the person who was the first one to find the cache :lol: .

ok...i have read this thread through...i agree that some of the loggers are less than educated...but what about the cache owners that dont keep on top of their cache logs to see if things are going the way they are supposed to? if you allow some of this nonsense you should be on cache placing probation for neglect...we need some mystery cachers...those who make sure that logs like these are being brought to admins attention...

here is my bogus log for the thread...

April 14 by <CLUELESS>(19 found)

BEAUTIFUL ROAD and OAK TREES!!! Unforgettable trip !!! But, when we got there, someone had dug up the cache and stole the cache - just a hole in the ground where it used to reside.

Well worth the time and hunt, though.

Enjoyed it greatly!