My Very First Cache

tsk

My very first cache was a cache not far from where I live. I enterered the coordinates on my new Etrex, and with great anticipation used the GOTO feature to navigate to the area. I looked and looked for the booty but eventually realized that it was too well hidden for the first timer. Later I discovered what the little ghost was besides the coordinates, and that a "virtual cache" has nothing hidden. Doh!

I've been caching for 2 years. This was the first cache I ever found and here is what I wrote. It was an excellent cache; meaning it was a good hike in a great park with a beautiful view near the cache. The cache container wasn't so great and the contents were'nt the bees-knees, but I had an awesome time and that's what matters the most.

I'm now over 300 finds and I am as gung-ho today as I was when I first started! Gung-ho . . . Geo Ho . . . hehehe.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

Edited by Geo Ho

My first cache was the easiest in my area. I didn't want to bite off too much on my first attempt. It was rather dissapointing. Drove to the end of a dead end road, and it was hidden between two large rocks blocking the road. No view, no hike, and very little searching. Fortunately I did a few more that day and realized how much of an adventure it can be. Rough start but a lot of fun since then.

My first cache was Party, Party, Party. it had all the cool elements - close to the house, at a park most people don't know exists, short hike to cache site with great views, etc. I'll never forget the feelings of elation that swept over me: #1. This &%^$ actually works! #2. I can't belive someone went to the trouble to place a cache! #3. I got this &%^$ to work & found the cache!!

My very first cache was a cache not far from where I live. I enterered the coordinates on my new Etrex, and with great anticipation used the GOTO feature to navigate to the area. I looked and looked for the booty but eventually realized that it was too well hidden for the first timer. Later I discovered what the little ghost was besides the coordinates, and that a "virtual cache" has nothing hidden. Doh!

I did that on my first virtual also.

Welcome to the addiction.

On my first cache I started down the trail, got within 150 feet and started bushwhacking only to find….the trail. ‘Ah, it circled back around, I see, very interesting.” To this day I still have to remind myself to go just a little further down the trail than I think I need to. It also helps for checking to see if muggles are coming from the other direction.

;) My first cache was with my 17 yr old daughter. we had to climb over an 8ft high deer fence to get it. We then walked around the fence o ge back to the car, should have climbed back over the fence, the walk was full of stinging nettle and multiflora rose. OUCH!!

But we had a great deal of fun. Ain't that what this is all about?

Well... we're still newbies... My first find was Hotwheelers near zip code 70816. I had just found out about Geocaching from a friend living in Florida and he was coming to visit that weekend. I had seen the Jeep TB contest and was watching for one in my area. One popped up in the Hotwheelers cach... I thought I'd find it and log it in as my first and score the Jeep TB. I went after work and hiked through the trail... did I mention that I have no GPS? Ah... the story gets more interesting. I walked the trails using the clues and description but only had limited time to search... I left empty handed. The next day I got my buddy... the other half of Dynamic-Duo and we went out again looking... The Jeep TB was still showing in the Cache. We went at lunch time and actually found the cache with no GPS in about 20 minutes. The problem was someone was in the log and had been there earlier that morning and gotten the Jeep TB... Bummer!!! Anyway, we are hooked... We've got 5 finds now, 4 regular TB and 2 Jeep TB's... All with no GPS... We would like to get one.... hopefully soon. Ah.... Feel free to donate one to us if you like!!! Cache On!!!!

Patman of Dynamic-Duo

Edited by Dynamic-Duo