60c/mac/vpc

So, I probably should have asked before taking the plunge, but I didn't. I was at REI today picking out a backpack and also came home with a 60c after coveting one for 'lo these many weeks.

Now, I can't get the thing to show up in Virtual PC, so I can't move data around. My Legend works just fine, but the USB with the 60c just flat out fails.

Does anybody have any ideas where to turn? It appears as though VPC doesn't want to hang on to the USB connection the way it does with the USB/Serial converters, so it never gets a chance to actually communicate.

The 60c acknowledges the connection with a little icon in the upper left of the screen, but that's all that works right.

I'm going to try this all on a laptop at work, so I may be fine for now, but it would be nice to have a permanent solution.

Well, I worked on the VPC 60c USB for a week or so. Tried everything!! I even went as far as disabling the USB extensions in OS X (thought they were hindering VPC usage) Didn't work, don't do it. Had to do an archive and install!! I believe the problem is with the way VPC handles USB. I checked the VPC forums at mactopia, they are having problems with other USB devices. Hopefully Microsoft will get on the ball and fix the USB stuff!! I believe you will have to resort to the serial to USB (I use keyspan) solution. Slow but works for now. Please let me know if you find out anything different, I would LOVE to be wrong!!

Last fall I borrowed a friend's eMap and was try to transfer the files using a usb-serial adapter, but it was taking far too long. I found a good deal on the USB data card programmer and bought that. It would download the files in less than a minute once I got it to work.

The secret was to boot into OS9, I have a G3 PB and I was able to run VPC under OS9 and everything worked fine. I was completely unable to find anything that worked under OSX.

When my 60 is connected, it shows in VPC USB list as an unknown device and I'm not able to use it in Mapsource.

What suprises me is that when the 60 is connected it doesn't show in the system profiler of OS X. OS X doens't even see it as a connected device.

Also, If VPC is not started, the 60 doesn't even get in the USB connected mode ? Is it the same for you ?

I guessed I'll be stuck to buy a serial cable.

Edited by AtomicCanuck

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that someone has come up with a solution to this!!! I am running VPC 6 under OSX Panther with Windows XP Proffesional running on VPC and i am having the exact same problem!! More of a problem is that i dont have a serial port on my Mac. nor do i wish to buy the cable.

I don't know if this will help or not, but on a real Windows XP box you have to install some USB drivers that come with the 60C before it will work. I would think that even with VPC you'd still have to install these drivers.

yep. and i installed em. it still wont read. my roomate and i are goin nuts trying to gedtg this working

Well, my problem went away, sort of: A friend gave us one of his cast-off PCs, so now Mapsource works just great with the USB connection. I loaded nearly 30mb of maps on the 60C in just a little over three minutes.

I never could get Mapsource under VPC to see the USB, even when booted into OS 9. I'm pretty sure I loaded all the drivers, since Windows said it had noticed the new hardware, and the 60c always showed the USB icon.

Now the problem is going to be to find time on the computer to actually use it. I'm going to be competing with the 11-year-old who can now run Roller Coaster Tycoon as it was meant to be run. He's pretty excited about being able to build all sorts of coasters and then just demolish them when they don't please him any more.

I'll still be doing my regular waypoint manangement on the Mac, though. MacSimpleGPS handles that transfer just fine, and I can preview the locations on the web at www.gpsvisualizer.com.

So I'm good to go, now if it were only a laptop instead of a desktop (yeah, I know, gift horse and all that...)