Waterproof, Dropproof, Bombproof Ppc 2003

Alright all you PPC fans. If you’re anything like me, you’re always on the lookout the next best thing. Well, for caching, I think this might just be it.

I’ve never actually held one of these, but from the looks of it is one tuff device. I sent the Aussie based company an email inquiring about it and received this reply very promptly:

It has been interesting on how many fields our 2007S has been applied to. I am quite happy if you can post the information on your Geocache message board. I was very interested on your pleasant pastime something like discovering a new place with a purpose at the end. I also believe the 2007S could be used for Orienteering another sport where you need to run to different points in the bush and the person who gets to finish line with the all the points visited in the shortest time wins the event. Unfortunately Micronics takes a lot of my time to keep up as we are a small private company, and I am lucky to get a few hrs on the weekend to surf my long board on local breaks.

At the moment the exchange rate of Aussie dollar to US is 0.78 and price of 2007S is AUD 1,800 complete with cables and accessories. However we do have a field installable kit that fits a 38/3900 series iPAQ, and I am sure some of your members would have one of these PDA's. The price of the Kit is AUD 700. However I am prepared to offer kits that we call "seconds" at a reduced price to your members where there might be a small surface bubble on the case top in a non critical area or a machine tool mark inside the case bottom. If there was interest, your members can email me directly on above email to see what was available from the production workshop.

Thanks again for your interest I am attaching some images you may use for you posting.

John Koles

Technical Director

MICRONICS GPS

micron@iinet.net.au.

http://www.micronicsgps.com/2007s.htm

Expensive? Yes. But consider that this is a complete, bombproof, PDA/Bluetooth solution and the cost starts to make sense. Also, for all you iPaq folks, the “seconds” thought might be a great idea.

Thought you might like the heads up.

159056_1800.jpg

159056_1900.jpg

159056_2000.jpg

159056_2100.jpg

159056_2200.jpg

That last one makes me shudder just thinking about. I can just see my Axim sinking right to the bottom...

Hehehe, yeah, but so are Hummers. Tugboats aren't especially pleasing to the eye either!

Working in the I/T industry, most of my complaints with PDA's is they are so easily dropped - usually when taking them out of the belt holster or protective cover to dock them.

Y'know, they do look like the exterior is made of vulcanized rubber, I wonder if we could have contests to see how high one can be bounced...

...at least they come in different colors and not pastels!

Umm. Sorry, but smaller is better. I'll live with the fragility, so that it will fit in my shirt pocket. Without tipping me over.

I started with a Casiopeia. Which was huge. When the iPaq 1910 came out I jumped at it. Great size, and about the same speed as the casio. Used it for a year and upgraded to the 2215. I would have bought the 4155 but I had a trade in value and they only carried the 2215. Oh well. It's still faster, the only thing missing is the WiFi.

Y'know, they do look like the exterior is made of vulcanized rubber, I wonder if we could have contests to see how high one can be bounced...

Boing boing boing, to the cache we bounce!

Umm. Sorry, but smaller is better. I'll live with the fragility, so that it will fit in my shirt pocket. Without tipping me over.

Erh, well size is important, but it isn't everything (no good way to say that ;) ) The thing with this is that it is probably best clipped to your bag or belt... maybe hanging around your neck... a PDA with this level of protective case is about as big as this anyway.

But, like anything, to each his/her own...