Another Railroad Question

w5waf

If it's a public park, I'm sure it's not a RR right of way, so you wouldn't be trespassing. And since it goes through a park, is it safe to assume that the RR is fenced off?

If that's the case, you could probably get a cache approved here.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

If it's a public park, I'm sure it's not a RR right of way, so you wouldn't be trespassing. And since it goes through a park, is it safe to assume that the RR is fenced off?

If that's the case, you could probably get a cache approved here.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

Nope it's not fenced off.

The park is along the riverfront here in Vicksburg. The Railroad runs parallel to the floodwall. The Park as well an an old railroad depot now being converted to a railroad museum are all city property.

The track is not a busy track. It's really a spur now, although many, many years ago it was the main line between New Orleans and Chicago...That's a thing of the past now..

I have a similar cache. Public park split by a very low activity rail line (2 trains a day 6pm'ish and around midnight) with no fence. The North side of the tracks has an old loco on display and my cache is on the south side of the tracks. There is parking on both sides. The no tresspassing sign is to the east where the line leaves the park and positioned so you know where not to go.

It probably us RR right of way. They don't just give that up for no good reason. Not that close to the tracks. However a trip to the county assessors office can answer that question.

Still, even if it is right of way they allowed a park to be there. Thus any park activity is also allowed. Geocaching is one of them. I wouldn't sweat it, but do be ready to explain it to your approver. They probably won't be able to 'see' the park.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill-W5WAF:

Here in the city there is a park which is essentially bisected by a railroad track. Most if not all of the public park is within 150 feet of the track. Does that mean the park is off limits to a cache even the park is open to the public.

There is a similar situation in San Clemente, CA. The beaches are separated from most parking areas by a very busy railroad track. Some locations have pedestrian overpasses, but in many cases you have to walk across the tracks.

Several caches are within 100 or 150 feet of the tracks, but in state or city parks with unrestricted access with no fences.

At Calafia beach there are even crossing signals at the pedestrian RR crossing between the parking and the beach. There is a wide section of beach immediately adjacent to the open tracks, which serve commuter and AMTRACK trains on a regular basis throughout the day.

Like any other guideline, this needs to be looked at with a reasonable eye--is it safe and legal to access the cache. If so, I don't see the problem.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I've worked with highway plans and had to deal with RR right of way. They are typically 66' Right of ways. That's 33 feet each side of the centerline of the RR tracks. Some times they may go out a little more for a bridge or some other reason, but for the most part it's just a 66' total r/w. If there is more than one track the R/W may be wider too. I'm not sure where this 100 and 150' right of way issue came from.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

My experience is not based off of actual useage, but rather what was granted in the deeds from the US Gov. to the RR. Sorry for any confussion, but I still stand by earlier posts in contacting the surveyor, assessor, clerk or title/abstract company for any clarification, if in doubt.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

I never fly, I only take Amtrak. As a passenger I have followed the news about the terrorists trying to derail passenger trains. So I would be unhappy if someone put a cache near rail lines...sort of the way you would not put one on a tarmac or under an airport terminal. Just seems to be too suspicious with our new paranoid environment.

I visit the website: railforum.com for all the latest rail news.

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

I've worked with highway plans and had to deal with RR right of way. They are typically 66' Right of ways. That's 33 feet each side of the centerline of the RR tracks. Some times they may go out a little more for a bridge or some other reason, but for the most part it's just a 66' total r/w. If there is more than one track the R/W may be wider too. I'm not sure where this 100 and 150' right of way issue came from.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

Bigger ROW in the "Empty" West when they made the RR's.