Which Gps Is Best For A Neocacher?

trees&needles

I am looking to buy a GPS unit for this upcoming year and was wondering what the best unit would possibly be for around $150-200. I've done a little caching but on a borrowed GPS and really need to get my own to dig in. The ones I've used in the past haven't had programmable coordinates and I think I would really like that in my new unit. I'm often in dense cover as well. Any suggestions??

Cheers. ;)

I second the Legend. A nice unit and a great value. It was my first GPS and I was very happy with it. The mapping is very useful and the data cable comes with the unit, where it's a $30 add on for the cheaper eTrex and Gecko units. Once you factor that in, there is little difference between the units in price and the Legend is far more versatile.

And don't let anybody tell you the Legend won't work in dense cover. I use mine all the time in very dense cover and it works quite well.

Edited by briansnat

I found the Garmin Geko 101 to be a fantastic intro unit. It's very inexpensive and had great accuracy and ease of use. It doesn't have all the fancier features, but it works just fine without them.

Of course, I apparently lost my Geko a couple weeks ago (I'm sure at a cache) so I've ugraded to the Magellan SporTrak Map. It's got great features and is within your price range (about $170). Of course, it takes a little bit longer to get everything all figured out. The Geko manual was teeny compared to the tome that comes with the SporTrak.

I do miss my Geko greatly..... ;)

Best wishes!

Bec

We really like our Garmin 72. We got it on sale from West Marine for about $140.00. At the time, the Garmin 76 was about $40 more and I wish that I would have bought that one since it has an external antenna connector and comes with the data cable. The 72/76 series have some features that I like: they float, they are highly water resistant, bigger easier to read display than many gps, fairly simple and logical to learn and use. They only thing that I miss in our GPS is mapping. The next unit will be the Garmin Map 76c.

I found the Garmin Geko 101 to be a fantastic intro unit. It's very inexpensive and had great accuracy and ease of use. It doesn't have all the fancier features, but it works just fine without them.

The Gecko 101 doesn't have a data cable hookup, so I would avoid that. The 201 does and is a nice little unit, but for a few more bucks you can get the Legend which is a great GPS for the money. I'd agree with those who say the eTrex Legend is an great choice.

It depends entirely on which "bells & whistles" you want/need. I bought a Garmin MAPgps 76S, because it had the right combo of bells & whistles. For me, I wanted mapping, external antenna & power, altimeter, compass, and a decent amount of memory, plus other features. I did a LOT of research first, and I am happy with what I got.

Good luck... ;)

"Bassmedic"

The Gecko 101 doesn't have a data cable hookup, so I would avoid that.

Since I keep hearing this, let me explain this from a geko 101 user's point of view.

You don't need it.

It's easy to enter in a waypoint from scratch. In fact, if you ever plan to do a multi or a mystery or any other cache where the final co-ordinates aren't spoonfed to you, learning how to enter the data manually is a requirement. And if someone else with a GPS ever gives you co-ordinates to help you find something, once again you'll be entering them manually.

Yes. A cable can be a nice thing to have. And mapping can be a nice thing to have. And games can be a nice thing to have. But for the new user, that's a bunch of stuff you don't need. And it's a bunch of stuff you'll end up paying for.

Simple is good. The geko 101 is simple and it's inexpensive. I've never needed anything more.

That being said, a search on froogle.com indicates that the geko 201 doesn't cost a lot more than a 101. Because of this, our family's second GPS will be a 201. And if I decide I want cables later, well, they're pretty cheap on ebay.

i use a magellan 320 and it works just fine for caching, travelling and work. ( i use it to find and survey wireless sites). it has plenty of functionality, but i have none of the gadgets that go with it. i enter points manually and it only takes a few seconds. i like its durability and reliabilty. it seems to work fine in the woods and is in your price range-maybe less if you shop around. i wouldn't go crazy buying a unit with all the bells and whistles unless you want the "gadgetness" of it. i saw the yellow etrex at target for $99 this week.

It's easy to enter in a waypoint from scratch. In fact, if you ever plan to do a multi or a mystery or any other cache where the final co-ordinates aren't spoonfed to you, learning how to enter the data manually is a requirement. And if someone else with a GPS ever gives you co-ordinates to help you find something, once again you'll be entering them manually.

That's all great if you're going for one cache, but if you are expecting to find a bunch of caches, or if you are travelling and want all the caches near your hotel, or if you do like I do and have the closest 500 caches to my home on my GPS, the cable is essential. On a recent vacation, I called up the 100 closet caches to my destination and had them on my Vista in about 30 seconds. This would have taken easily taken an hour to enter them all in manually.

For the first year I was geocaching I used the manual method, then once I discovered EasyGPS and direct dowloads, my reaction was 'what took me so long?

Today I can't imagine using my GPS without the cable. In addition to mass input of waypoints, I can also use it to upload my wapoints onto a map and plot my route.

Do you need a cable? Of course not. Does it make life a whole lot easier, absolutely!!!!!

You don't need it.

I don't need my car either, but it comes in very handy.

I find this to be an inexact analogy. I think of the Geko 101 as the base model, no-frills car, kind of like the ones I own. The Geko 101 is not like having no car, it's like having a car without automatic transmission, power steering, or air conditioning (not to mention power windows or leather seats). Sure, it would be nice to have those things, but it'll still get you where you want to go. And I paid $80 for mine at Target, plus about $15 for two sets of NiMH AAA batteries, which are almost a must in my reckoning.

Having said that, let me explain my method of going on a caching trip. Since I refuse to waste all the paper of printing out every cache page, I just print one of the geocaching.com maps which shows the caches in the general area of where I'm going (using the "Identify" feature). Then I make handwritten notes on this page. After this, I hand enter the coordinates into my 101. This takes some time, but it kind of suits me, as the Luddite of the geocaching community. I drive a 1967 International pickup, plus an '88 Chevy S-10 with no options (and I mean NO options, not even a dome light) and prefer a plumb bob to a laser level.

If this does not sound like you, get a more expensive model with more features. I have no complaints about my Geko 101. Also, there's one more advantage to having an $80 GPSr. I don't have any anxiety about this:

b1ad7979-4829-4f0c-8def-f41f33949ef4.jpg

Notice how everyone LOVES the GPS unit they have? I like Balboagirl's car analogy. My first car was a '71 VW bug with 4 on the floor, an AM radio, and a defroster so bad I had to scrape the inside of the window with a scraper while I drove...and even though I drive something with all the bells and whistles now..I still dream about that car. I think a GPS unit might be like that.I have a Geko 101..

and even though it has the bare essentials...I love that little unit! Don't rule it out! It will find your cache just as quickly as the more expensive units..if you find after a few months that it is not adequate (I think you won't) you can upgrade to a more expensive unit. There are always newbies looking for a cheap starter unit so you can certainly recoup some of your cost. I just saw some on E-bay this week for 59-69 dollars (new ones). Good luck!!!

P.S. Entering each coordinate takes less than a minute tops...compare it to dialing a phone number versus using memory dial. I'm sure if you've used a unit with the ability to download waypoints you could never go back, but if you don't know the difference...it's no big deal.

Edited by SunnyCyndi

Since I keep hearing this, let me explain this from a geko 101 user's point of view.

You don't need it.

It's easy to enter in a waypoint from scratch.

Let's have a contest. I'll generate a PQ with 500 waypoints and we'll both enter them into our GPSrs. You enter them manually, and I'll use my data cable...

No, you don't need a cable, but once you've used one, you'll never go back.

You don't need it.

It's easy to enter in a waypoint from scratch.

Let's have a contest. I'll generate a PQ with 500 waypoints and we'll both enter them into our GPSrs. You enter them manually, and I'll use my data cable...

No, you don't need a cable, but once you've used one, you'll never go back.

My first reaction to this is, why would I want to enter 500 waypoints at once? I can only find about 10 in the half a day a week that I have available to go caching.

I know the answer to my own question, of course. I have a caching friend who travels a lot, and he will often download a whole state into his Garmin 60c, allowing him to pick and choose at random which he wants to seek. However, I don't cache like that. I plan to go to a specific area in advance, and I load in just a few more than I know I can find at once. Again, if this doesn't sound like you, get a unit with more bells and whistles. I'm just saying mine (Geko 101) gets the job done just fine. Plus it's tiny and will fit almost anywhere.

I like SunnyCyndi's observation that everybody seems to love the one they're with. I think you could probably buy almost any Garmin or Magellan and be satisfied with it. After all, it's all about the hunt, not the silly machine that's in your hand, right?

I like the data cable because, as stated earlier, it allows you to enter a lot of waypoints at once. This is good for keeping the closest xxx caches to my home available so I can grab a cache on the way to work or while out shopping without having to plan ahead. It's also great when you travel - generate a list of the closest xxx caches to your destination or route so you can catch them on the way. For the little extra cost involved in getting a data cable-ready GPS, I wouldn't consider anything less.

My first reaction to this is, why would I want to enter 500 waypoints at once? I can only find about 10 in the half a day a week that I have available to go caching.

Why? Because you never know WHICH caches you are going to find that day. What if you have time for one more. What if you can't get to a certain one for whatever reason. Having many gives you lots of options of what to hunt next.

I would seriously go insane if I didnt have a data cable! B)B):P

SBPhishy- which program do you use to upload waypoints into your Meridian? I never even though about uploading a whole state's worth of caches. I can picture it now:

"Honey, I KNOW it's our anniversary and this IS a nice restaurant on the outskirts of town. But there's 5 caches within 6 miles of here and 2 are micro's! Let's GO!" B)

Because you never know WHICH caches you are going to find that day.  What if you have time for one more. What if you can't get to a certain one for whatever reason.  Having many gives you lots of options of what to hunt next.
Let's have a contest. I'll generate a PQ with 500 waypoints and we'll both enter them into our GPSrs.

I'll take my PQ, run it through GPX Spinner, and load it into my Sharp Zaurus.

Now I have ALL The caches you have, except I also have the last 5 logs, the details, the hints encrypted, and a decription links for the hints, the D/T ratings, and the moment I decide I want to search one, I can quickly enter it into my GPS.

More importantly, I only have to enter the ones into my GPS that I want to enter and therefore my "nearest waypoint" search isn't filled with noise.

With my method, I don't have a bunch of waypoints on my GPSr that I don't need or even want. They're on the CF card in the Zaurus where they belong in case I change my mind. And since I already owned a Zaurus (as well as a couple Palm Pilots) why the heck would I need to pay the extra $50 or so just for a cable that doesn't do anything I personally need.

You may like the cable. That's fine. But there are many people here who are happy with their Geko 101s. Telling someone new that they need something when they obviously don't is doing them a disservice. If they want a cable, they can buy a Legend or a 201. But if they don't want to spend a lot of money to get a small reliable GPS that easily fits in their pocket (at our last local cachers meeting it was mistaken for a new cell phone), then the 101 is a great choice, especially for a beginner.

---------------

Edit: Out of curiosity, I went shopping on Amazon. It turns out that for the same price as a Legend you can get a geko 101 and a PalmOne Zire Handheld. Which way you would rather go is your own preference, but I found it an interesting comparison.

Edited by bons

I'll add a vote for the Meridian Gold. I can't imagine not using a cable. With the Gold you get a gps that has mapping capabilities and an unlimited amount of memory using sd cards. You can have both topo and street routing maps on your card at the same time to pick from. And have all the waypoints/routes you desire saved and organized on your card. Just load the ones you need from your card at any given time and your set, just the ones you need without the clutter and no need to run back and fourth to your pc. The Gold is a great unit and you won't feel the need to upgrade anytime in the near future like you might with an entry level gps.

Aha. The truth comes out. Bons, you may not be using a cable to get the waypoints to your GPS, but you are still carrying around multiple waypoints that gives you options of what caches to look for. If someone is not paperless though, they can't do what you are suggesting.

I use EasyGPS. I was using Expert, but the trial ran out. Also, 500 waypoints is HARDLY a whole states worth of caches. I usually keep about 300 in there. Easy GPS is fine because I dont like to rename the waypoints from their GCXXX number. The Meridian will show both the GC number and the cache name on the same page.

If someone is not paperless though, they can't do what you are suggesting.

No. But as I've shown, they can go paperless and buy a GPS for about the same price of a GPS with a cable.

I'm just giving people a choice. Mapping and the .loc file loaded to their GPS or no mapping and a complete paperless cache listing. Both cost about the same (unless you already own a PPC or palm or Zaurus). One has maps. The other has descriptions, logs, hints, extra waypoints, etc. Take your pick.

But even if you don't want to go paperless, you don't need a cable. All you need to do is enter the waypoint when you decide to seek the cache. The cable just gives you is a quick way to load every mystery cache's parking lot and the first waypoint for every multi.

Edited by bons

I bought a Legend. I like how it has worked so far! Not a bad deal for the money. I bought a display model and had a coupon for 25% off. The Sports Authority gave me an addtional 10% for the display model! Not bad $135 BRAND NEW! I like hunting for bargins! Now if I could only get the software for 25% off!

Just another couple cents on the Geko 101. I've been using the Magellan SporTrak Map for about a week now. Sure it's nice and the data upload is nifty. But I really miss my Geko 101. I still carry a small notebook with coordinates and notes about each cache, and at multis I still have to manually input coordinates.

Bec

No. But as I've shown, they can go paperless and buy a GPS for about the same price of a GPS with a cable.

I see. That's not a bad idea...

Just another couple cents on the Geko 101. I've been using the Magellan SporTrak Map for about a week now. Sure it's nice and the data upload is nifty. But I really miss my Geko 101.

Just curious... why? I was actually thinking of selliing my ST Map and getting a Geko 201. I'd love to have a little cell phone size GPS to carry around in my pocket.

Just another couple cents on the Geko 101. I've been using the Magellan SporTrak Map for about a week now. Sure it's nice and the data upload is nifty. But I really miss my Geko 101.

Just curious... why? I was actually thinking of selliing my ST Map and getting a Geko 201. I'd love to have a little cell phone size GPS to carry around in my pocket.

The size of the Geko was definitely a plus (although that might be why it is now lost too!) The accuracy was frequently dead on and I had no problems understanding it. I really only skimmed the manual and was able to start up caching the next day. With the SporTrak, I'm still reading the manual. I think the Geko was more user friendly, especially for someone frequently brain challenged, like me!

Great topic. Very helpful. I've been itching for a Garmin Legend and I think that that's going to be the one.

I agree. I'm a newbie-wannabe (ever since I found the site and started reading about this intriguing hobby) and have been researching this for a couple weeks. All the votes for the Legend have won me over. Thanks for all the input, folks!

Whew! This topic quickly got away from the subject, didn't it?

I still prefer my Meridian over my eTrex for a number of reasons. The Meridian is easier to operate, IMHO. It also has more features for the same amount of money, including a bigger screen, upgradable memory, bigger buttons for my fat fingers... Don't get me wrong, the eTrex is a handy unit to have since it fits comfortably in a shirt pocket, but that's about the only thing I really like about it is it's size (& weight). My eTrex drops out on me all the time under moderate cover, or if the unit is upside down (hanging around my neck). It does seem to acquire a signal more rapidly than the Merigreen, though.

You will note that with Garmin's latest offering, they went with Magellan style controls... Money being no object, I'd drop my pair of receivers for that 60c.

Recommendations? Whatever you can afford, minus about 20-60 dollars for a good compass. Take the time to research which features you think you might need. While a cable, etc. isn't necesary right now, you'd be surprised how quickly it can become so. Think about what your future needs might be before you plunk down that cold hard cash. Also, I'd recommend that you try to try out the model(s) you like before you spend the money on them. Check with your local cachers and see what they use. Perhaps they'll sell you their old one when they upgrade!

The size of the Geko was definitely a plus (although that might be why it is now lost too!)  The accuracy was frequently dead on and I had no problems understanding it.  I really only skimmed the manual and was able to start up caching the next day.

Yes, the size of the Geko is nice, but I am always paranoid about losing the thing out of my shirt pocket.

The accuracy was frequently dead on

I have only run into a couple of instances where my Geko had trouble deciding which way was which. After reading a few other logs, it seems others had the same problem, so it must have been the area.

and I had no problems understanding it.  I really only skimmed the manual and was able to start up caching the next day.

Very simple to use. Kind of like a Volkswagen. Once you learn where to put in the antifreeze (har, har), no further explanation is needed to drive down the road. However, I still have never figured out how to use the Back Track feature. Seems I can get it to work just fine at home, but when I'm out in the woods, I can't ever find the menu that it's on. Luckily, I've never gotten lost because I have a better, more user friendly method of backtracking, which has never failed me. Also, you get back faster, and don't need to worry about going to the gym afterwards. My unit usually looks something like this, and you just follow it:

a8bd35e1-4721-4c30-9ef9-e203325dd4c4.jpg