Pda Downloads

I'm sure this has probably been asked before and i apologize for that, but i just haven't been able to figger this thing out yet.

i want to use my Palm pilot. I have loaded the cachemate software that is available as shareware. it explains that you can read .loc files with the cachemate software.

on each cache page you are able to download an .loc file. how do i get it into my PDA? it just saves it to my harddrive but not able to open it or transfer it to the palm hotsync software.

how is this different than a pocket query?

Run a pocket query and get it sent to you in gpx mode.

Use CM Convert to add all the waypoints to your PDA. The next time you Hot Sync, it will add all the cache info you selected to the PDA.

Open the gpx file in EasyGPS and send the waypoints to your GPS.

Voila!

CMConvert for windows comes with Cachemate. It will be in your cachemate directory but you can always add a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Good luck!

ok, i have done most of that. where are the instructions on creating a pocket query? where and how do i submit one?

i'm a newbie

You have to be a premium member to use pocket queries. You can sign up to become a premium member and, if you have paypal, it just takes the 3.00 a month automatically from paypal. They have other payment options too! ;)

Run a pocket query and get it sent to you in gpx mode.

Use CM Convert to add all the waypoints to your PDA. The next time you Hot Sync, it will add all the cache info you selected to the PDA.

Open the gpx file in EasyGPS and send the waypoints to your GPS.

Another option, if you download a .loc from a cache or search page, is to open the .loc with EasyGPS and send to your GPSr--then "Save As" a .gpx. Then you can use CMconvert for Cachemate. You don't get the same detail, but you do get enough to use some Cachemate features. You can also edit the .gpx file in EasyGPS to restore some info if you want it.

Not a great option, but it does work. The same is true if you want a .gpx file to use with Quakemap, or similar programs.

Dave_W6DPS

thanks all-i am a premium member, just can't find where to submit a pocket query.

If you're a premium member, from your "My cache page" there is a link to "visit the pocket query generator. It's near the top of the page under "PREMIUM MEMBER SERVICES"

That'll take you to the page, just click the boxes you want, and fill in the other info. Just make sure you don't do something like clicking both "I have found" and "I haven't found" or you won't get any results.

Another option, if you download a .loc from a cache or search page, is to open the .loc with EasyGPS and send to your GPSr--then "Save As" a .gpx. Then you can use CMconvert for Cachemate.

If you're already converting it for something else as well, that's fine, but CMConvert will handle .loc files downloaded from this site (it just doesn't handle files saved with that extension by EasyGPS, as it's a wholly different format).