active railroad tracks

the passing lane of the interstate

the back room at an adult bookstore

the inside of a nuclear submarine

the center of an active forest fire

inside a living animal

inside a dead animal

nope, cemetery doesn't make my list.

flask, I know your post was meant to be funny (and it was!) but what's truly scary is that, as a cache reviewer, I've seen submissions that fit in five of the eight categories you describe. I won't say exactly which ones!

I agree that that is really scary, I think I know which ones! I have thought about a cache on a freeway but not the passing lane. Also I wasn't able to figure out how to keep one like that safe and legal, so I dropped the idea.

NORM

96 posts to go to 1000

Edited by wildearth2001

About the "what other places are innappropriate, especially for children" question.

Let me just say that when I see a child that can use a GPS themselves and drive to the cache site alone then, and only then, will I ever make caches that cater to them. As far as I'm concerned geocaching is an adult hobby that kids can just tag along for. Furthermore, I would argue that there is no such thing as an inappropriate place for a cache. As long as it's legal then it's fair game. I've hidden a cache that you've got to cross railroad tracks and a highway to get to, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've also hidden caches in a swamp, between highways and one that's on a steep incline with only a small area to walk around above a small waterfall/creek. Someone might say that's not safe, but that's the kind of cache I love to find. If someone doesn't like the conditions then just stay away from it. I make it perfectly clear what's required in my cache descriptions. For me it's usually the "inappropritatly placed" caches that I find the most unique and enjoyable. And for god sake, if your kids can't handle it just leave them at home! I've even hidden some of my caches purposely out of reach of children, it makes it so much easier to have clever hides. I can't think of anything more disgusting then geocaching with a V-Chip...

Edited by Vargseld

I don't think there is a cemetery in the Sacramento area that doesn't have a cache or more in it, and personally, I love them. I don't see any difference between me 5 years ago stopping to check out an interesting cemetery and today doing the same but also finding a cache in one.

Regarding other inappropriate places, I think that the approvers pretty much weed those out. Not all caches are for all folks, so what might be inappropriate for Jenn the weiner geocacher would just be really challenging and exciting for someone else. The cache owners are good about warning about potentially dangerous situations, so if that sort of cache is not your cup of tea, don't go for it!

In general I think we can say this...most places where there are lots of geocachers there are also lots of caches, of all sorts. I can't even begin to keep up with the creative and prolific cachers in my area (Hemlock's a busy guy), so I don't even worry about the ones that I just know I will never be able to do (okay, I worry a little bit). There are plenty for me to bag without those. And if some studly cachers think the simpler ones are not worth their time, that's okay too. Is this a great hobby or what?

To sum up, I would hate to see caches not be approved just because someone thought that type of cache inappropriate.

I've been debating whether or not cemetaries are appropriate hiding spots myself. Mopar and I have discussed it, as well.

I feel it's inappropriate to place a physical cache within cemetary boundaries, but utilizing information off a tombstone for an offset cache is okay. I've done caches like this and I haven't felt uncomfortable doing it. Respect and intelligence are key . . . I know that disqualifies a lot of individuals. Whatever.

That is my opinion . . . such as it is.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

Of course such sites are appropriate. Why wouldn't they be? There are a series of caches in the South West deserts near small townships set several feet outside the fences. But even were they inside, as long as there's no digging required there's no reason why such sites would be inappropriate.

Perhaps the people who are superstitious would feel such sites to be inappropriate, but that's their problem and they're free to boycott any place that makes them uncomfortable.

The _legality_ of locating caches inside the fence, of course, might be questionable if there are tresspassing issues involved people coming onto the site for purposes other than to visit the dead. In those cases it would be inappropriate.

Well I am currently working on the Stones of Beaufort cemetery caches by HeadLlama these caches are tastefully done and educational to boot. From the looks of most of these old poorly maintained cemeteries we geocachers are the only ones paying respects to these long lost souls.

Edited by Sam & Kim

I've done a few of them. My wife and I really enjoyed them too. The best ones were usually multi-virtuals, with several stops across the whole cemetary.

Because of these, we saw Jesse James, Frank James, Charlie "Bird" Parker, and several other notable figures from the Kansas City area's graves. I don't think they minded.

Granted, some could be untasteful, but our experience has always been good.

My Wife and I would love to find a list of cemetery Caches in Kansas we enjoy the history you can find in Cemeteries

Well, for a (possibly) inappropriate location, you can check out the thread I started, "Place a cache here, or don't?"

But yes, I'd agree that cemeteries should be off-limits...UNLESS it's placed in honor of a passed cacher with their foreknowledge, and even then you'd have to be very careful.

I also feel like a cache I placed at an old country church might have been a bad idea...as it was destroyed by vandals a year later after standing there for nearly 150 years. I'd like to think the cache didn't give anyone the idea or advertise it unnecessarily, but you never know.

EDIT: Funny thing about that "middle of a highway" idea for the off-limits list. There's a cache near here that LOOKS like it's in the middle of the highway if you Google it...but it's actually in a pedestrian underpass. I thought that was clever.

Edited by BFG99

I've done a few of them. My wife and I really enjoyed them too. The best ones were usually multi-virtuals, with several stops across the whole cemetary.

Because of these, we saw Jesse James, Frank James, Charlie "Bird" Parker, and several other notable figures from the Kansas City area's graves. I don't think they minded.

Granted, some could be untasteful, but our experience has always been good.

My Wife and I would love to find a list of cemetery Caches in Kansas we enjoy the history you can find in Cemeteries

Just did a quick search and found this bookmark. Not sure how complete it is but it does have a few to check out.

Kansas Cemeteries