Inappropriate Locations For A Cache'

555Alive

While doing a search for new caches in my area, I saw a listing for a cache in a cemetery. I talked about it with the Mrs and we feel that a cemetery was an inappropriate place for recreational activities. I wanted to get some other's thoughts on this location as well as what other places would be innappropriate especially for children. Thanks.

Hard to say. Depends on the cache, the cemetary, the community. I suppose some deceased cachers would be honored to have a microcache or virtual at their grave site and I presume that visiting cachers would behave appropriately.

Some cemetaries are all but forgotten and any visitors are welcome, provided they aren't vandalizing the property.

Which particular cache are you referring to?

Edited by utahrc

I am not sure I would issue a blanket statement about cemetaries being inappropriate. A cache could be inappropriate, or if done respectfully could be a great location. A small town cemetary is a great place to get a 'feel' for the area's history. Grave markers and headstones often include information about a person's life. Cemetaries include not only the famous and the town's notables, but also the ordinary people that made the town work and define its character. A cache that incorporates these attributes would be welcome.

If it bothers you, don't hunt for it. Many people enjoy caches in cemeteries. There are good history lessons to be learned there. There are many cemeteries that are designed to be parks for the living as well as memorials for the departed. There are many caches placed with permission of the cemetery, like the one near the Pittsburgh airport that was one of my first ten cache finds. The maintenance workers check up on it and leave notes in the logbook.

One of the few caches I've enjoyed with my Dad, who's retired, took us to a historic cemetery near his hometown. He never knew it was there, and he saw lots of familiar family names. He could have stayed for hours!

On the other hand, my daughter gets "creeped out" at cemeteries. She leaves these caches for me to find on my own.

There is a tasteful way to place a cache in a cemetery: in an out-of-the way corner at a respectful distance from any headstones, and well-hidden. Another fun way is to use interesting graves as virtual clues in a multicache. I learned a few pieces of history in MY hometown that way. I would agree, however, that a cache placed right on someone's final resting place would be inappropriate.

In hiding caches, I would hope that geocachers would follow the published Cache Listing Requirements, which have some paragraphs about off-limits areas such as national parks, sensitive archaeological sites, railroad tracks, military installations, highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports. Unless clear permission is obtained, that is the list of inappropriate locations. Cemeteries aren't on that list.

I've done a few of them. My wife and I really enjoyed them too. The best ones were usually multi-virtuals, with several stops across the whole cemetary.

Because of these, we saw Jesse James, Frank James, Charlie "Bird" Parker, and several other notable figures from the Kansas City area's graves. I don't think they minded.

Granted, some could be untasteful, but our experience has always been good.

Well, if it were placed with permission, I think it would be a great history lesson for the kids, or maybe a mini lesson on the whole idea of "Death and Dying"

Really, the only majorly unappropriate places would have to be parks next to strip joints, or parks used for sexual activity (affectionately known by me as pickle parks)

I have done several cemetary caches, and I have to say that I have enjoyed all of them - even though I am easily "creeped out" myself about death stuff. Oddly, the cemetary doesn't bother me (?). I enjoy looking at the monuments and reading some of the more interesting inscriptions. Living in New England, there are cemetaries that date back to the 1600s - often long forgotten. One cache is in a huge cemetary with amazing monuments and landscaping - this is a virtual, although some people (not just cachers as this is the stone of a famous person) leave little gifts at the gravesite - which I find very touching.

I am inclined to believe the best about people until proven otherwise, and would hope that cache hunters and cache placers would behave respectfully. If respect and common sense dictate our actions, we can rarely go wrong.

Recently, I was at a cemetary cache with a fellow cacher, and she remarked that she was thinking of placing a cache at her mother's grave. I asked if she thought her mom would like that, and she replied, "My mom would love it. She would be thrilled that I have found a hobby that has brought me so much happiness." So, there you go.

There is one at Forest Lawn Cemetary in Glendale, CA.

"Eternal Fame - Forest Lawn Glendale"

edited to correct a slippage of the "enter" finger. oops. I was just going to add that from the description it takes you on an extensive tour of the statuary and gravesites of the Hollywood famous.

GPSKitty

Edited by GPSKitty

I too, think that a cemetary can be an appropriate and interesting place for a cache.

We have one here in Portland, that I look forward to finding at some time. In addition to this famous gunfighter that I had no clue ended his days here, the noted cemetary is the final resting place of a bunch of Portland founders and shapers. Sort of a who's who to Portland's history.

Respect should be shown, but in my opinion this is primarily done for those the deceased left behind, and for the memory of the passed away individual. The reality is, all that is in the ground is a decaying body that is slowly returning to the dust from whence it came.

I have done several cemetary caches, and I have to say that I have enjoyed all of them - even though I am easily "creeped out" myself about death stuff.

I have a degree in Mortuary Science, this type of stuff doesn't bother me at all. :unsure:

The only one in a cemetery around here is a multi virtual which I want to do soon. It looks pretty cool.

I've got a cemetery multi-cache called the Cemetery Gauntlet here in the greater Orlando area. None of the caches themselves are in a cemetery, but each stage has you go to a headstone to collect birth and death dates.

The final stage uses all the dates as a "what happened in this year" google-quest. Anyway, it's been well received, but I didn't hide any of the micros inside the gounds of any cemetery, and the final stage is in a park across from a cemetery.

I personally love cemeteries, and I love showing people the wide variety of cemeteries in the Orlando area.

Clearly, we don't want people dumping flowers out looking for a cache - that's where care and permission are important (and also why my caches are all outside the cemeteries).

That my 2/100 of a $1.

I've done one where you gathered info from markers (multi) and a traditional where the container is hidden in the ravine outside of the burial area. Both were educational, both were done with permission, and both were very enjoyable.

My personal feelings are: Don't hunt it if you cannot avoid mourners - come back again later.

Be respectful, don't bee-line across sites - pause occasionallly to read stones, take interest.

Many cemetaries are set up as gardens. Walking through is acceptable. Rubbings of grave markers is a hobby, especially in historic cemetaries. My wife and I like photographing old/unique stones.

In days gone by, picnics were acceptable in cemetaries; a way of remembering good times with dearly departed.

There's a cemetary cache around here, and the hint is "Go past Mr. So and so..." It's pretty funny.. I think they are great.. I made me visit the local cemetary, and I spent an hour walking around the whole thing. Kids have to learn about death someday anyway. Might as well make it fun.

I have always enjoyed the quiet and green in cemeteries. I've spent many a pleasant hour walking and photographing. When I started caching, I thought of a particular spot in a local famous cemetery. While scouting it out, I was stopped by an 'official'. I was surprised when he offered me a map of all the famous graves. It seems that it is quite the tourist spot!

I ended up with a virt that has been very popular. It's a quick grab at a very special place.

All that said, If you're uncomfortable seeking for such, don't. If you're thinking of hiding a cache in a cemetery, use more than the usual discretion. Spend some time observing what goes on during a regular day. If in doubt, 'hide' a virt, but only if that won't cause undue disturbance.

Keep on Caching,

Bluespreacher

Regarding cemeteries: Many larger cemeteries have forest area in and around them. I have found 4 caches in one cemetery, and they all just feel like an average geo-stroll in the woods. Cemeteries can offer really great views as well. I say that as long as there is a way to get to the cache without walking through the cemetery itself, then it is okay. Actually, it never occured to me that there could be anything wrong with cemetery caches until someone started a topic here a few months ago. There are more vistors to the cemeteries, and I take the time to look around, not nosily, but respectfully.

Regarding inappropriate places in general: There are the notorious parks that everyone in the area knows are bad. I would definitely avoid those with young children, although a proper warning on the cache page might allow a cache to be there. One cache I've done that was at such a park had a note on the cache page: 'although there are supposed to be hauntings, you probably shouldn't do this one at night for other reasons.' I liked that, because it wasn't super-blunt but it reminded you of where you were going, and that care was required. Neither of the caches I've hidden have been hidden thinking excusively of kids- they were hidden for the average adult.

While doing a search for new caches in my area, I saw a listing for a cache in a cemetery. I talked about it with the Mrs and we feel that a cemetery was an inappropriate place for recreational activities. I wanted to get some other's thoughts on this location as well as what other places would be innappropriate especially for children. Thanks.

Historically, cemeteries were places where people would picnic and spend leisurely afternoons. Even today, people jog through them, stroll through them, walk their dogs in them and take photos and gravestone rubbings. I don't see geocaching as being all that different. If you are uncomfortable, then feel free to avoid that cache.

Edit: Oops, Captain Chaos said basically the same thing.

Edited by briansnat

let's see... inappropriate cache locations:

the business end of a firing range

active railroad tracks

the passing lane of the interstate

the back room at an adult bookstore

the inside of a nuclear submarine

the center of an active forest fire

inside a living animal

inside a dead animal

nope, cemetery doesn't make my list.

I have no problem with cemetary caches. I have one of my own, this is the waypoint GCHF16 for some reason I could not copy the URL,

What I will not do is a cache on elementry school property. I came accross a new last spring on a private school for young girls. The cache could only be found while the school was open unless you climbed a fence. Being a single male in my early 50s, forget about. I found another one ike that this week with a cache budy of mine. IMO anyone who hides a cache on elementry school property a fool. Permission or not it should not be done.

There is a cache here hidden in an old mine cemetar that has been long since forgotten. One of the headstones has some really wierd (but interesting and cool aswell) story type thing on it. the last sentece is "the Prize is Won" (quoted exactly) and the cache was named that. When I did the cache I didn' bother to look at the headstones and the cache was just "one of them" then later on a separate trip for a different reason I did. Now the cache is one of my favorites.

For me it depends on what type of cemetary, and where the actual cache is placed.

If its an old historic cemetary and you put a micro or VC near a statue or fountain that has some local historic aspect, then its probably OK.

If its a multi that is going to have me going all over the cemetary looking for clues, then NO CHANCE! I would blink right past that one.

If you are talking about an active cemetary, I generally don't feel that this is OK. I would probably draw an exception in my line if a geocacher were to pass away and his/her headstone was going to be the geocache. Then again, I would want to see a map to be sure I didn't have to walk over a bunch of graves to get to it.

active railroad tracks

inside a living animal

inside a dead animal

flask, I know your post was meant to be funny (and it was!) but what's truly scary is that, as a cache reviewer, I've seen submissions that fit in five of the eight categories you describe. I won't say exactly which ones!

I have been considering asking my family's permission to hide a cach AT my grandfather's grave. He passed away in 1966 but if he were alive today, he would be the KING cacher. This area was used for military traing in the 60's and they had a "mock war" in the desert. As a kid...Grandpa would take us out hunting for anything the soldiers left out there. There were green sardine type cans with everything you can imagine in them. I mostly remember having the peanut butter and crackers as an afternoon snack. He was just an "outdoorsey" guy.

I think he would love the cache idea and be honored to be a part of it.

Maybe inappropriate to me would be a mortuary.

I would agree, however, that a cache placed right on someone's final resting place would be inappropriate.

So I can't have that fake top on my 'stone that conceals an ammo can full of goodies when I go?

Once when this topic came up before, I said I wanted to be buried with a pikachu headstone and a geocache built into it somehow, and I really wan't joking!

Anyway, I went to a pretty neat cache in a cemetary in Chicago. It was neat largely because the cemetary itself was very nice and full of interesting history.

There is a cemetary here that also is very nice with a lot of history. The cemetary has a small park area outside of the burial area with ponds, and it runs a few plays each year in some old stables on the property. There are several virtuals there, but I have considered asking for permission to put a regular cache in the park area.

A great cemetery cache is Nancy Drew ;) (WGS84). (Please excuse me for not being able to send you there.) Look at the fine job that Greenback did. It is interesting and respectful to Millie Benson. From what I've heard about Millie, I believe that she would enjoy the mystery of it all. When I cleared the snow I was happily surprised to see what was on her stone. What a woman she was.

BB

Personally I like caches in Cemeteries... if I see a nice looking cemetery I usually visit anyway so having a cache there makes it better. People have wildly different views of cemeteries and how you should act around them. As long as you are not vandalising I feel that cemeteries are great places for visiting and caching.

When I die rather than having a micro in my head stone I would like an above ground crypt which is part of a multi cache... part one is a micro to find the key to the crypt... part two is to enter, open my coffin, and pull the cache from my dead hands ;) Probably not a cache for everyone B)

Edited by blazerfan

active railroad tracks

inside a living animal

inside a dead animal

flask, I know your post was meant to be funny (and it was!) but what's truly scary is that, as a cache reviewer, I've seen submissions that fit in five of the eight categories you describe. I won't say exactly which ones!

Ahh come on, give us some hints, so I know which ones are left....I've got some decon containers around here somewhere ;)

I have a cache in a cemetary, and I feel my cache is a great addition to it.

The people buried in the cemetary are victims of crimes or accidents, and no one has been able to identify them, so they have no headstone, and they had no burial ceremony except for the people that dug the grave.

Other people buried there were people of the poor house, and they too have no headstones, and probably had no burial ceremony either.

The only visitors these people get are the animals, that come by, (actually I always see animals up there), and the cachers that come for my cache.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with cemetery caches. There are some beautiful old cemeterys that are so interesting to visit. I have three cemetery caches that brings cachers to old cemeterys which are enjoyable and peaceful. I don't have the caches by any graves, but instead I have them on the fringes of the cemetery.

Edited by WebbyCat

I did some markwelling for you on some of the past cemetery cache threads. If you search "cemetery" you get 7 pages of threads. These are a sampling of the ones with the most posts.

latest to oldest:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=59611&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=50666&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=51512&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...wtopic=6771&hl=

I've been on a few cemetary caches and like many of the reply's I've read, they have all been in good taste. The one I remember most fondly was a multi-cache stage that required information from one of the markers. There was an area in the cemetary that had graves for children. Most not more than two years old. The exception was one grave of a Civil War soldier who was there to watch over these children. It was quite emotional!

My wife is employed at a very historic cemetery in memphis. She does a lot of educational work and speaks frequently to various civic groups and schools.

She invites folks to visit the cemetery and ask questions. Ethics and courtesy are the importanr factors. Respect goes a long way. Obviously, you don't want to go tramping through a burial service nor do you want to disturb anything.

This cemetery is the resting palce for numerous Conferate soldiers, Kit Dalton of the dalton gang and many of the founding fathers of the city of memphis.

She feels that virtual may be the best types of caches. Plus, she feels that a multiple cache would be great and could be used as an eduational cache. Maybe beginning with the early settlers and working into present day.

With that said, I imagine that you al know where my next cache will probably be?

Doug