Expertgs Just Updated

Wow, you guys are fast. I hit send on that email announcement just moments ago.

Yes, the 60c and 60cs are listed in the GPS models list.

No, USB connections are not yet supported.

ExpertGPS 2.0 will be the first release to support USB connections. Beta testing will start later this spring.

The ExpertGPS 1.3.5 update that was released today adds several dozen GPS receivers to the models list, and updates the list of GPS symbols to match each receiver. Please let me know if you find any discrepancies.

ExpertGPS 1.3.5 release

It is a waypoint, route & track manager for your pc. You hook up your gps, and can upload & downoad this data. it also plots them on USGS topo maps and air photos, that are downloaded from the Terraserver. You get compleat coverage for the whole USA. This is one of the best TOPO map programs for your PC. You can also draw in new points & routes on the map and the transfer those to you gps.

NOte, the topo maps can NOT be uploaded to your gps, they are only for use on your pc.

the demo is fully funtional: www.expertgps.com

I bought it about a year ago and like it.

I still use Mapsource for run of the mill stuff

but when I need an accurate location off of a real topo map I use Expertgps. That feature alone is probably what sold me on it.

I do recommend a broadband connection for the topo map feature.

Dan, I assume it handles the new file format of Mapsource beta 6?

I haven't tried to import any of the new files in it since I was spending most of my time trying to see what they added to it.

My serial port cable finally arrived today so I could use ExpertGPS. I did do the update and I recieved all of my waypoints from my CS. However it told me there was an error in receiving the waypoints as it did not recognise the icons so it converted the majority of them to just dots? What did I do wrong?

Here is the error message

One or more of the waypoints received from your GPS uses a waypoint symbol that this program did not recognize. The default symbol for your GPS receiver was used instead.

(Warning #1001)

This warning message has been copied to the clipboard.

murph

Edited by thcri
My serial port cable finally arrived today so I could use ExpertGPS. I did do the update and I recieved all of my waypoints from my CS. However it told me there was an error in receiving the waypoints as it did not recognise the icons so it converted the majority of them to just dots? What did I do wrong?

I doubt you did anything "wrong". Alot of the icons that the 60C(S) uses are simply not yet supported by the software, in this case, ExpertGPS. When the software comes across icons (likely the blue flag that is now used by default when you create a new waypoint or when you upload your old/existing waypoints to your 60C that used a dot icon) that it doesn't recognise, it uses the default symbol for the GPS which is in this case, a dot.

Also, if you try to upload a track log with more legs than your GPSr can accept, you will get the trunucated message. Each GPSr has a limit when uploading a track log. The E-Trex yellow is 125, the Venture 250, and the Vista 750. I do not know what the max number for the 60 is yet. Perhaps it is in your book?

Use the simplify command to get the track log down to the number your GPSr can handle. Let us know how many the 60 can handle if you can.

The track was originally made from my Vista. So I thought I was getting a GPS that had everything my Vista had plus more, guess I was wrong. The track I am talking about originally had 955 which now it only has 504. So maybe that is the limit. So when moving this larger track from ExpertGPS to my GPS where is this simplified moad. Otherwise right now it just runs up to the 500 points and then quits so I only have half of the track.

murph

The track was originally made from my Vista. So I thought I was getting a GPS that had everything my Vista had plus more, guess I was wrong. The track I am talking about originally had 955 which now it only has 504. So maybe that is the limit. So when moving this larger track from ExpertGPS to my GPS where is this simplified moad. Otherwise right now it just runs up to the 500 points and then quits so I only have half of the track.

murph

Try changing it from a "route" to a "track" on expert GPS. That should do the trick.

(right click on it and select "change to track")

ExpertGPS like to change everything to routes.

When you upload a track to your GPS, you are limited to the number of trackpoints your gps uses in a saved track. I think its 750 for the GPSmap 60c(s) and the Vista (latest firmware). It is only the active tracklog that saves 10,000 points, so you can't upload that many. In expertgps, there is an option if you right click on a track, to 'Simplify track". Then you can specify how many points to simplify it to. It then resamples your whole track down to the number of points your gps will hold. I talked with the developer of expertgps and he said he is thinking of adding an auto-simplify when you send a track to your gps. maybe we'll see it with the big update this summer.

I'm thinking about buying "ExpertGPS". I want to download "tracks" from my 60C to the photomaps. I tried this with JDMCox's USAPhotoMaps and all I can see is the active track. I was not able to save that track to USAPhotoMaps so I could recall it later. My big question is, can that be done with ExpertGPS? (recall a saved track to ExpertGPS's photos)

I'm thinking about buying "ExpertGPS". I want to download "tracks" from my 60C to the photomaps. I tried this with JDMCox's USAPhotoMaps and all I can see is the active track. I was not able to save that track to USAPhotoMaps so I could recall it later. My big question is, can that be done with ExpertGPS? (recall a saved track to ExpertGPS's photos)

yes, with ease.

There are also several features for editing tracks if you so desire. You can move a corner of a track to an intersection of streets. You can add points, cut tracks into pieces, say, one for the drive to the park, the other for the trail. The list goes on... download it and play. They have a 30 free trial.