$1 Million Bill

Found this interesting on USAtoday.com today. The million dollar bill is quite a popular leave here in Lexington, KY. I don't know whether to laugh at the stupidity of the woman for trying to pass it, or laugh at the Treasury Dept locking her up.

ATLANTA (AP) — A woman who tried to use a fake $1 million bill to buy $1,675 worth of merchandise at Wal-Mart said it was all just a misunderstanding — she thought the bill was real.

Alice Pike was arrested last week at a Wal-Mart in Georgia.

Newton County Sheriff's Dept. via WSB-TV, AP

The United States Treasury does not make $1 million bills.

"You can't keep up with the U.S. Treasury," said Alice Pike, speaking from jail.

Pike, 35, was arrested last week at the Wal-Mart. The bill was a novelty item that can be bought at gag shops. Pike told police she got it from her estranged husband, who is a coin collector.

Pike said she first tried to buy the merchandise with two Wal-Mart gift cards. But the cashier told her the cards only had a total value of $2.32. That's when Pike says she pulled out the $1 million bill.

"All I've got is this," Pike said she told the cashier.

"I wasn't trying to pass off the bill," she said. "That's ridiculous."

A police report says Pike tried to pay for the items with the fake bill and even asked for change.

Prosecutors must decide whether to prosecute Pike on charges of first-degree forgery.

What I couldn't understand when I first read about it was what in the freak was she doing shopping at Wally World when she "thought" she had 3 million to play around with.

If my husband gave me 3 mil for a shopping spree, I wouldn't be rushing off to Wal-Mart.

The whole thing is too stoopit and like uperdooper said, stoopit people shouldn't breed...or is it breathe?

GPSKitty

What I couldn't understand when I first read about it was what in the freak was she doing shopping at Wally World when she "thought" she had 3 million to play around with.

If my husband gave me 3 mil for a shopping spree, I wouldn't be rushing off to Wal-Mart.

The whole thing is too stoopit and like uperdooper said, stoopit people shouldn't breed...or is it breathe?

GPSKitty

if i had 3 million dollars to spend my first stop would be tiffany's. not wally world.

What was the largest currency denomination ever produced?

The largest denomination of currency ever printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) was the $100,000 Series 1934 Gold Certificate featuring the portrait of President Wilson. These notes were printed from December 18, 1934 through January 9, 1935 and were issued by the Treasurer of the United States to Federal Reserve Banks only against an equal amount of gold bullion held by the Treasury Department. The notes were used only for official transactions between Federal Reserve Banks and were not circulated among the general public.

:unsure:

http://208.45.140.254/education/faq/curren...nations.html#q2

Edited by TEAM 360

Did the Treasury Department ever produce a $1 million currency note? I have one that I want to know about.

We receive many inquiries asking if the Treasury Department ever produced a $1 million currency note. People have sent in copies of these notes. We have found that they are nonnegotiable platinum certificates known as a "One Million Dollar Special Issue." These notes were from a special limited copyrighted art series originally sold by a Canadian firm for $1.00 each as a collectible item. They are not official United States currency notes manufactured by our Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP). As such, they are not redeemable by the Department of the Treasury.

You may be interested to know that the BEP learned of these certificates in the spring of 1982. All related correspondence was forwarded to the United States Secret Service to decide if there were any violations of Federal currency laws. The Secret Service subsequently advised, however, that these certificates did not violate any United States law.

http://208.45.140.254/education/faq/curren...nations.html#q2

Edited by TEAM 360

Sure, it's about geocaching. The only reason I opened the thread was because of the prevalence of million dollar bills in caches. I'm sure everyone on here has seen one in a cache at one time or another.

I guess we spun off topic when we started talking about the history of currency...which seems geocaching related, without it, we wouldn't have money to buy GPSs, gas to put in our cars to go caching, money to buy the actual cache containers or their contents. So that wasn't it.

Oh, I know, when someone mentioned shopping at Tiffany's is when we went astray. Anyone see the diamond encrusted GPS Tiffany's is selling? Whew, right back on track :unsure: