Means Of Transport When Caching

Divine

I started to think which means of transport I have used when I've been caching, and the list appeared to be surprisingly long. I've never chosen any particular transportation just to add it on the list; every item in the list has got there just because it's been convenient just to choose that particular vehicle at that time.

On the other hand, I didn't count e.g. airplanes in the list, although I've found caches on vacations to where I've flown with one. I counted any transportation in when I have gone just to search some particular cache. In case I traveled with an express bus, train or airplane just to go search caches, I'd count them in.

• Walking – Almost any caching trip calls for walking, but I’ve also been known to run, and crawl.:lol:
  • Car – As much as I despise unnecessary driving (i.e. wasting nature, gas and money), I have to admit I drive quite a lot when caching. If the caches are in my home town or whenever else I have opportunity, I try to use muscular power or public transportation when going to hunt. Nowadays I also try to search more than one cache at the same driving trip and/or try to mix my caching trips to some other activities at the same direction.
  • Bicycle – I often ride my bike to local caches, especially at summertime, but I’ve taken the bike with me in the car when going caching in the capital area. It was often easier to find one parking place and ride bike to the caches. Such a cache was e.g. Pitkäkoski by ossmo.
  • Local buses – Of course often in my home town, but I’ve used them when geocaching also e.g. in Hämeenlinna and Bangkok.
  • Taxi – In Bangkok it was easy and cheap to move by taxi. When going to search Monkeybusiness in Bangkok, the Taxi driver actually used my GPSr to navigate to the cache site. Unfortunately I never found the cache. It may have disappeared.
  • Metro – Well, in Bangkok it’s called Sky Train (although they’re building an underground metro too), and I used it at the same trip as bus.
  • Boat – This was also in Thailand, this time near Krabi. We were on a two-deck boat meant for transporting tourists when I found The Castaway Cache. We rode similar boat also, when we went to Phi Phi islands, where I never found the cache.
  • Tuk tuk - If you go caching in Thailand, sooner or later you'll see tuk tuks, those wacky smaller-than-taxi transportations. When we searched our first foreign cache in Phuket, we took a tuk tuk to the cache site. Unfortunately the cache appeared to be stolen. :lol:
  • Snowmobile – I was wading in knee-deep snow endless trek towards the cache in Seitseminen National Park when I suddenly and surprisingly got a lift by a man riding a motor sleigh, who was making ski tracks in the forest.
  • Motorbike – Again in Thailand, this time in Hua Hin. We needed a means to get to the Thaiswed cache more than 20 km away, and 4 € for a 24 h rent of a small motorbike (only 110 cc) seemed a tempting offer. Of course, having at least 15 years since I last had driven a 2-wheeled motorized vehicle, and doing it now in chaotic Thailand left-hand traffic made it even more exciting! :unsure:
  • Skiing – The owner of the cache at Vahankivi said that the cache site isn’t particularly special, so I decided to make the hunt memorable by skiing there in deep unbroken snow through a logging area and swamp.
  • Skating – The ice of lake Pyhäjärvi was crystal clear and smooth when we went to hide my cache in Viikinsaari. A perfect day for skating!
  • Snowshoes – I borrowed friend’s snowshoes when going to hide my birthday cache, Holy Moley!

Edit: phrasing & typos.

Edited by Divine

Okay, I have (and are gonna do it next week in Lidköping also) cached with my work-car... A stretched limousine...

Not the most discrete kind of car while caching... Normally people on the countryside doesn't care if an old rusty car are parked next to the road, and a man are searching thru bushes.

But if it is stretched limousine and a man in costume next to it, then you get many strange eyes watching you :unsure:

I started to think which means of transport I have used when I've been caching, and the list appeared to be surprisingly long.

Divine's list made me think what is the percentual distribution of the means of transportation I've used to reach caches from the place I overnighted. So here we go...

Bicycle 35%

Walking 19%

Local bus 16%

Car 10% (I don't drive, so in these cases there has been someone with me)

Local train 5%

Local bus+ local train 5%

Local train + bicycle 4%

Underground + bicycle 3%

Underground 1%

Ferry 1%

Internet 1%

• Walking

• Car

• Bicycle

• Local buses

• Taxi

• Metro

• Boat

• Tuk tuk

• Snowmobile

• Motorbike

• Skiing

• Skating

• Snowshoes

Two more means of transport I've used solely for geocaching purposes:

• Tram - I had a seminar to attend in Helsinki, and of course I used all the free time for geocaching purposes. Tram is quite an obvious transportation in Helsinki, if you're not driving a car.
  • Train - At last I could add trains to the list. Of course, I've traveled with trains many times, and even sought geocaches at the destination, but this time - also in Helsinki - I took a commuter train only to move myself from the city center to a cache in suburb.

Mine include:

Walking

Bicycle

CrossCoutry Skiing

Ski Lift/Downhill Skiing

Car (rental, borrowed, and passenger. I dont own one)

Taxi

Local Bus

Long Distance Bus

Tram

Subway

Train

Local Ferry

Swimming

Plane and Cruise/Distance Ferry (but purpose was not solely caching...)

In planning:

Canoe

Rollerblades

Plane

Long Distance Train

hbrx.

Our list is tiny:

Walking

Car

We hope to add 'boat' this summer for Viikinsaari.

We considered taking a taxi a couple of weeks ago. We parked at the top of a hill, walked a mile downwards to the cache, and considered walking another mile downhill to the nearby town and taking a taxi instead of walking back uphill to the car! I think we decided that would be too lazy.

We really must add some more methods of transport to the list...

Pony?

Skateboard?

Unicycle? To be honest, I've nearly done this one a few times, but never got round to it :unsure:

Cheers,

Stu

Hmm. My list includes...

Walking - Naturally and I love walking (does this include jogging?)

Bike - Which reminds me, I should repair my bike.

Car - I use the car occasionally

Train - All over Europe last spring

Bus - Also long distance buses (To Hauho f.ex.)

Tram - Easy to use in Helsinki

Ferry - Viking Line...

Local Ferry - Suomenlinna

Canoe - The River Wilds

Climbing - Using a rope, not walking IMHO

Subway - The fastest way to move in Helsinki

Elevator - 400 meters in the Eiffel Tower

Cablecar? - In Praque

I'm going to add taxi and plane to my list soon.

my list:

Feet - well, nearly every time at least the last steps

Car - unfortunately quite often

Bike - sometimes

Train - many kinds

Ferry - Viking Line

Local ferry - Föri :lol:

Skiis - not a wise decision at that time, see my comment on the 21st of February: Naistenjärvet 1

Subway - only in Tokyo - not even in Helsinki B)

Bus - hah. I was in Kyoto and I wanted to take a bus to the cache location. I must have looked sort of lost reading the map since 3 people stopped and asked do I need help. I said I am looking for the nearest bus stop and they asked where do I want to go. Well I said the first thing that popped into my mind: "That way" pointing to the direction of the arrow. As I said that I realized that it must've sounded extremely stupid B). Luckily I knew that there was a sight nearby and I quickly said the name of it. Phew.

Elevator & escalator - Floating Garden cache

Plane - not directly to the cache though

would like to try:

Canoe - hope to try it this summer

Roller blades - oh dear. dangerous.

Rope i.e. climbing - (already plans for that one.. B))

Otsikkoa ja aiheitta sivuten, kertoisiko joku polkupyöräilevä kätköilijä mitä pyörän kuljettaminen junassa ja/tai bussissa maksaa? Pääseekö maksetulla hinnalla edestakaisin vai pitääkö paluumatkasta maksaa sama summa uudelleen? :D:D

En ole koskaan kuljettanut pyörää mukanani, mutta nyt ajattelin sen tehdä. Erityisesti koska esim. Hämeenlinnan (jonne olen aikeissa lähteä kätköilemään tässä joku päivä) paikallisliikenteen käyttäminen tulisi liian kalliiksi koko päivän ajalta :D

The same question in English:

Can someone tell what it costs to travel with your bike in a bus or train (in Finland)?

Edited by gemmatic

Lähiliikenne- ja taajamajunissa polkupyörä kulkee ilmaiseksi (siis matkalipun hinnalla). Kaikissa muissa junissa se täytyy kirjata erikseen matkatavaraksi ja hintaa kertyy yleensä aivan liikaa. En muista tarkkaa hintaa, mutta Tampere-Helsinki väli IC-junassa taisi olla 10 euron luokkaa.

Tähän asti on tullut kätköiltyä:

• kävellen
  • junalla
  • bussilla/virolaisella jatkojohtobussilla
  • raitiovaunulla
  • pyörällä
  • autolla
  • laivalla/lautalla
  • lastenvaunuilla

Viimeisimmät ovat siitä mukavat, että niillä pääsee liikkumaan ilmaiseksi pääkaupunkiseudun joukkoliikenteessä myös seutumatkoilla. Tosin ison miinuksen vaunuilla liikkumiseen tekee satunnaisen alimitoitetut (korreloi yleensä kääntäen verrannollisesti pätemisentarpeeseen) T-luokitukset.

Listaan on tulossa seuraavaksi rullaluistimet (kulkevat pyörää helpommin junassa), jahka tästä kerkiän ensin Katukiitäjien alkeiskurssille.

Here's my list:

• Walking – In every caching trip, shortest walk 2-3 meters from car to cache.
  • Running – Yep, sometimes I'm in hurry....
  • Crawling – Especially underground.
  • Climbing – I like caches where I have to climb!
  • Bike – Too few times. I guess I would use it more if someone makes new caches to my hometown.
  • Car – Like Divine, I have to admit that I drive quite a lot when caching. Nowadays also I try to search more than one cache at the same driving trip and/or try to mix my caching trips to some other activities at the same direction.
  • Snowshoes – I borrowed friend’s snowshoes last winter for a long period. They were very useful!
  • Elevator – At least in three places.
  • Ferry – The only public transportation I've used. Best way to get to Suomenlinna caches in Helsinki.

So far I have not used any other public transportation purely for geocaching, although I have found many caches during business trips. And soon I will swim to certain cache in Kangasala, I guess...

Our list is tiny:

Walking

Car

We hope to add 'boat' this summer for Viikinsaari.

We can now add:

Local Ferry (viikinsaari)

Plus:

Elevator and Escalator (if we can consider those transport)

Plus:

Airplane (since we now have 23% of all cache finds in Finland!)

So that makes:

Car

Foot

Escalator/Elevator

Local Ferry

Airplane

cheers,

Stu

Elevator and Escalator (if we can consider those transport)

Why not, there are some towers etc. where there are caches at the top and the only way to go up is by elevator. I'll add it to my list too. Changed walking to feet, since I wouldn't make difference between walking, running, sneaking, crawling, stomping, sidling, bouncing or tiptoeing. :unsure: I also added climbing only after I had used a rope (although I had already climbed on e.g. rockface, ladders, staircases, and bucket-chain elevator :blink:).

• Bicycle
  • Bus, local
  • Car
  • Climbing
  • Elevator/escalator
  • Feet
  • Ferry
  • Metro
  • Motorbike
  • Skating
  • Skiing
  • Snowmobile
  • Snowshoes
  • Swimming
  • Taxi
  • Tram
  • Train
  • Tuk tuk

Lähiliikenne- ja taajamajunissa polkupyörä kulkee ilmaiseksi (siis matkalipun hinnalla). Kaikissa muissa junissa se täytyy kirjata erikseen matkatavaraksi ja hintaa kertyy yleensä aivan liikaa. En muista tarkkaa hintaa, mutta Tampere-Helsinki väli IC-junassa taisi olla 10 euron luokkaa.

Littlebit off topic, VR webpages says:

Bicycles and kickbikes

For bicycle and kickbike transportation in a commuter train(fin:lähijunissa), a €4.20 fee is charged as per journey. Within Helsinki Region the price of an adult one-way Helsinki Region ticket is charged. Transportation of bicycles and kickbikes is prohibited on M-F from 7.00 to 9.00 hrs and from 15.00 to 18.00 hrs.

Updated:

Bicycle

Bus, Local

Bus, Long Distance

Car

Canoe (new 2005)

Feet

Ferry, Local

Funicular (new 2005)

Rollerblade (new 2005)

Skiing, CrossCoutry

Skiing, Downhill

Sumway/Metro

Swimming

Taxi

Tram

Train, Local

Plane and Cruise/Distance Ferry (but purpose was not solely caching...)

In planning:

Plane

Long Distance Train

Boat

Wish i had used:

Snowshoes

hbrx.