Garmin 60cs Screen Protectors

The first set I got didn't have the "waves" at the bottom for the buttons. The set I got yesterday do and they fit perfectly...

I took a look at mine last night. Clearly it's from the "first batch," and it's too big. :bad:

Instead, I just cut another Palm V protector and put it on and it is terrific. Hopefully, Strong will send me the replacement set, but I'm okay in the meantime.

I took a look at mine last night. Clearly it's from the "first batch," and it's too big. :bad:

Strike that. New ones just arrived. Thanks, Strong Engineering!

(My latest "cut to size" Palm V protector looks great, though, and I won't need the Strong ones for a while.)

Edited by 4x5shooter
Geez I just went to BestBuy, bought some PDA covers, done deal. Every sheet will cover my 60CS twice. Something like 30 covers for $18. Cut to fit, good to go.

Hehe, you are talking to someone who needs a small electronic device to get him from point A to point B. :D

Geez I just went to BestBuy, bought some PDA covers, done deal. Every sheet will cover my 60CS twice. Something like 30 covers for $18. Cut to fit, good to go.

What brand were they? Are they clear and free of any texture? The ones I got from Strong had such a bad texture to them that they render the screen useless! I emailed them about it but never heard back. :D

Thanks,

Sindigo

The ones I got from Strong had such a bad texture to them that they render the screen useless! I emailed them about it but never heard back. :D

I had the same first impression (aside from the size issue) but earlier in the thread someone mentioned that heat and a credit card would fix that problem. I haven't tried it yet since so many people were getting free, properly sized replacements, I was just waiting for mine. Which never came. :D

I had the same first impression (aside from the size issue) but earlier in the thread someone mentioned that heat and a credit card would fix that problem. I haven't tried it yet since so many people were getting free, properly sized replacements, I was just waiting for mine. Which never came.

Yeah...I tried the heat/squeegee (sp?) method. It helped but did make it as nice as my previous (texture free) Meridian protectors that I received from Strong about a year ago. I can't even tell the Meridian has a protector. I was hoping for the same result with the 60CS but to no avail. :D

Sindigo

For what it's worth, I still haven't had to use my new (properly sized) Strong protectors because the one I cut to fit myself works perfectly. It was from a pack of Palm V protectors bought at Radio Shack. It comes with a "credit card" like thing in the pack to apply it, and it went on perfectly clear and smooth -- you have to look very close to tell there is a screen protector on it. I didn't have to use heat or water or anything.

For what it's worth, I still haven't had to use my new (properly sized) Strong protectors because the one I cut to fit myself works perfectly. It was from a pack of Palm V protectors bought at Radio Shack. It comes with a "credit card" like thing in the pack to apply it, and it went on perfectly clear and smooth -- you have to look very close to tell there is a screen protector on it. I didn't have to use heat or water or anything.

Don't use the strong ones, they are terrible. I asked for my money back because they are so bad, haven't heard a word. So much for their 100% money back, no questions asked guarantee. :D

"Strong" ones work fine. There is indeed a method to applying them properly. I wasted one figuring it out. I think they could offer better instructions on their package. I've heard people talk about using hair dryers and water. I simply used a creditcard and very slowly worked the film onto the unit. Give yourself some time and patience. Once these things are on, they are invisable. My first one looked like crap. It does take practice!

Erskin do you work for Strong? Several ppl. here including me hate the textured surface of the Strong protectors as it distorts the crisp screen of the 60CS, this has nothing to do with how they are applied. I've tried every application method described and the Strong protectors still suck because they are NOT FLAT..

Erskin do you work for Strong? Several ppl. here including me hate the textured surface of the Strong protectors as it distorts the crisp screen of the 60CS, this has nothing to do with how they are applied. I've tried every application method described and the Strong protectors still suck because they are NOT FLAT..

Exactly!!

Several ppl. here including me hate the textured surface of the Strong protectors as it distorts the crisp screen of the 60CS, this has nothing to do with how they are applied. I've tried every application method described and the Strong protectors still suck because they are NOT FLAT..

After reading the posts about using a hair dryer and so forth, I dug out my Strong 60CS protectors. I took my time, used the squeegee and hair dryer method and.....they do in fact "suck". There IS a texture to the batch of 60CS protectors that they've sent and no hair dryer and squeegee removes the texture. My old Strong protector for my Meridian is texture-free and looks great. These though leave a TON to be desired. I'd be hard pressed to order anything from them again.

Sindigo

Honestly, I don't work for, or have any relationship to Strong. But it sounds like there may be two different products or versions of products going on here. Fact, I have a 60cs. Got the strong stuff one week ago in mail. It has a shiny surface. It is not textured. I put it on as mentioned above. First one sucked. Second one is fine.

I like this group, and am not trying to pull anything here. Perhaps there is another version of their screen protectors? (That's why I mention I just recieved mine a week ago.)

Hey, if it isn't working for you- Fine, let everyone know. I'm just sharing my experience which happens to be positive in this case.

Edited by Erskine
Honestly, I don't work for, or have any relationship to Strong. But it sounds like there may be two different products or versions of products going on here. Fact, I have a 60cs. Got the strong stuff one week ago in mail. It has a shiny surface. It is not textured. I put it on as mentioned above. First one sucked. Second one is fine.

I agree that there must be two versions. Like I said, the ones that I received (and apparently others as well) are definitely not nice and shiny. They have a very fine texture...and you can feel it.

Believe me...I have no ill will to you. It isn't your fault. But I do have ill will towards the protectors I paid $8 for. :lol: I wish that they would have worked but all 12 of mine were useless. :D

Sindigo

Edited by sindigo
Anyone come up with the best one of what they have?

I have tried the following:

Belkin F8E713

Belkin F8P5701

Fellowes Palm V

Fellowes Palm Zire

The Fellowes were absolutely the worst. The Belkin F8713 worked the "best", but only marginally. Based upon the other posters I have not tried Strong.

Maybe a dumb question, but has anybody asked Garmin for advice?

- John

I now have about 45 of these covers that I don't like, If anyone wants from 1 to 6 to try just ask......and send your address. If you know of glossy and clear covers please let me know.

Thanks

Rick

Well, I would like to try one. It isn't that I don't believe you, just would like to see it for myself. The strong units seemed to be good on other units. Perhaps I will try one on the yellow E-Trex first. If you can spare it, send 3. One to screw up, one to practice getting it right, and a third to decide you were right anyway. :tired:

Thanks,

I spoke to someone at Strong Eng and they said all the protectors coming out are the new version.  I am a real newbie to this unit just got it today.  I have a Garmin 2610 but never a handheld.  So the best way was to wet the screen and squeeze out the bubbles.  Will the wetness effect the unit at all?

I should hope not...

according to Garmin 60cs is-- Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)

Not sure about the 2610.

Edited by Shadow n Seqoui

I just returned from "99 Cents and Less" where I purchased some Belkin PDA Screen Overlays for the Palm m100. They actuall fit my 60cs without cutting and fit dang good. Even the curve at the top is right, they don't fit all the way to the bottom of the screen but stop just above the word "Garmin" at the bottom. They are glossy clear and come with a nice little cleaning cloth to prep your screen and a squeegie card for applying. Not bad at 12 for 99 cents!

Somewhere in my searches at one of the better know GPS sellers (can't remember the exact one though) they had a case\cover for the rino that looked like it would work pretty well for the 60 series too. Never followed through to check though. Anyone else seen\tried it?

Pete

I installed the strong screen protectors using the "Wet method" with stuning results absolutly clear, with no visable distortions!!!!!  :D

Do your protectors have a smooth or textured surface?

Oh the wet method is simply to use some slightly soapy water to float the protector onto the screen and position it and then squeegee the water out.

Edited by RSorak

I took my new 60cs out on a backpack trip this weekend. The backpack fell over, onto rocks, with my GPSr attached to the shoulder strap. Left some small sratches on the screen:-(

Surprised it wasn't worse. The display must be some really hard polycarbonate or something. Tried a bottle of old laserdisc cleaner to remove the scratch. Did nothing even after lots of polishing, so I used my fingernail through the cloth...

well, that mostly left the scratch and added a small smudge spot, due to the fine abrasive in the cleaner. The it wouldn't come out with more polishing. That's what i was afraid of...leaving a cloudy spot.

Now I definitley notice a optical distortion on that area of the screen, where the original scratch did not seem to be visible with the display on:-(

Polishing plastic is tricky and likely requires at least a couple "grits" of abrasive, to get anywhere near close to the original mirror like surface. I suspect the original surface is a result of casting the plastic and not of some polishing process.

Anyone have hands on experience of polishing their Garmin display? I noticed the Brasso and Maquires suggestions, which I might try, if I knew what to expect.

Someone also suggested Displex, but that was for a cellular phone display. Also have a dremel buffer (single speeed), but that can also "burn" into plastics, due to high rpm. Think the very hard plastic is going to reguire lots of mechanical polishing, as provided by a buffer of some sort, in order to produce visible results.

At this point I would recommend leaving scratches alone, since they didn't seem to be very noticable when using the GPSr.

As for display protectors (wish I had one on before the trip), the Radio Shack ones look worth a try, mostly because they are handy to purchase.

Any other polishing/scratch removal ideas or experiences?

-

Thanks,

Greenjeens

:lol: Well I received my Strong protectors last night and installed one after removing my Fellows protector. BOY what a differance :lol:

Very happy with the difference and a quarter of the price.

Great information on this forum - Thanks

Does it have texture ?

I used Fellowes for Palm m505,515 (bought it in RadioShack for $3)

Texture doesn't bother me much, but if you say StrongEng is much better ...