Garmin 60cs Screen Protectors

I have tried two types of screen protectors for my 60CS. One was by Fellowes and the other by Belkin. The first was Fellowes (for an IPaq) - they did not look good at all B) (too much of a textured surface). However, the Belkin protectors are outstanding :P (F8E713t - for the Palm V and M500 series). They are very clear and smooth. I found it easier to make a template out of paper/cardboard from the 60CS screen and then use it to cut out an exact match on the protector sheets. And no, I do not work for, or have connections to, either company. ;)

For the perfectionists out there... If you have a scanner and a printer you can create a near perfect overlay. Lay the GPS face down on the scanner and scan it. Crop the scan in a graphics program to a known size on the GPS (I used 4 inches from the top of the grey on the case to the bottom of the 4 way keypad). Print the image to scale and you have a perfect template to cut out for tracing on an overlay. I used ACDSee to crop/print and some thicker cardstock for the template. Too much time on my hands.... perhaps, but it was faster and more accurate than doing it manually.

Edited by chimo

I don't know,

The plastic the make those screens out of are pretty scratch resistant. After three years of heavy use I still don't have a scratch on the face of my Vista, just some small chips on the silver paint where the case doesn't cover the area around the click stick.

Neat idea though, using a protector.

I’ve been known to leave the plastic shipping protector on until it just falls off. I think it’s still con my cell phone!

The link Hemlock suggested is a pack of 12 for $7.50 or so.  Why go through all the trouble of making it yourself?

The direct link to the product is here.

Well I ordered a package of these for my new 60CS after seeing a couple of favorable links. However, I can't honestly recommend them.

Not only are they too big for the 60C series (no big deal to trim I guess), but the distortion of the protector makes the screen look all pixelated.

My search continues....

The link Hemlock suggested is a pack of 12 for $7.50 or so.  Why go through all the trouble of making it yourself?

The direct link to the product is here.

Well I ordered a package of these for my new 60CS after seeing a couple of favorable links. However, I can't honestly recommend them.

Not only are they too big for the 60C series (no big deal to trim I guess), but the distortion of the protector makes the screen look all pixelated.

My search continues....

Yes, thank you for the info. I tried the Belkin PDA's ones (F8E713) and have the same problem. So I am still looking too...

I have been using the Belkin F8E713t and I find them excellent. Could the overlays with the "t" at the end be that different from the ones without? They are just mediocre unless the "smoothie card" that comes with the overlays are used. If you apply enough pressure, the mottled look goes away. Hope this helps,

Chimo

Edited by chimo

I also ordered the screen protectors from Strong Engineering, I don't recommend them either. They were a bit to big, so I had to trim them. But after getting them on, the screen looks terrible. Heck, I could see it better if it was scratched up than with the screen protector on it. I'll do my best not to scratch it I guess.

I also ordered the screen protectors from Strong Engineering, I don't recommend them either. They were a bit to big, so I had to trim them. But after getting them on, the screen looks terrible. [...]

Ditto. The cost was low enough to give it a shot, but it wasn't worth it.

Well, that's bad news. I ordered a pack, too. I guess I will see for myself.

In the meantime, however, I picked up some Palm V protectors at Radio Shack ($7, I think) and trimmed one to size. They are larger than the 60CS screen in both height and width and come in a pack of 12, so I just had to sacrifice one. I put it over the screen, then used a Sharpie pen to outline the edges of the screen on the protector. I peeled it off, stuck it on top of a fresh one, and trimmed around the edges. Then I used the "fresh" trimmed screen protector on my 60CS. Works perfectly, and is very clear and easy to see through. Now I'm wishing I hadn't bothered ordering any!

Well, that's bad news. I ordered a pack, too. I guess I will see for myself.

In the meantime, however, I picked up some Palm V protectors at Radio Shack ($7, I think) and trimmed one to size. They are larger than the 60CS screen in both height and width and come in a pack of 12, so I just had to sacrifice one. I put it over the screen, then used a Sharpie pen to outline the edges of the screen on the protector. I peeled it off, stuck it on top of a fresh one, and trimmed around the edges. Then I used the "fresh" trimmed screen protector on my 60CS. Works perfectly, and is very clear and easy to see through. Now I'm wishing I hadn't bothered ordering any!

Me too. They're on the way. Let me know which is better.

Capt.

When I got my Vista 2 1/2 years ago I tried these covers but I couldn't get a smooth finish. So I stopped using them. I only got one scratch on it when I was climbing some rocks and the Vista swang on my neck lanyard and hit a rock sharply. Fotunately it was in an area I could live with. Due to lots of other use problems with it, I finally sent it to Garmin to repair the other problems and they replaced the screen at the same time. (COmplete overhaul was 125.00)

Now I got a PDA and tried the covers for them and all I get is the the same little bubbles and unsmoothe finish I had on the Vista. Cannot get them out, so I'm going bareback with the PDA too. I'm hoping that by the time it might get really scratched, I;ll need to upgrade anyway.

Alan

Edited by Alan2

I was focusing closeup on my 60C with a camera, and it's lens just barely touched the GPS, and a big ouch. I did some intense rubbing with a finger and the back of a finger nail, and brought it back somewhat, but still has evidence of being hit with a lens filter. The whole GPS is made of very soft plastic, much more than my V's.

Now I got a PDA and tried the covers for them and all I get is the the same little bubbles and unsmoothe finish I had on the Vista. Cannot get them out, so I'm going bareback with the PDA too. I'm hoping that by the time it might get really scratched, I;ll need to upgrade anyway.

alan2:

you need these! a bit pricey but well worth it. I got the regular pack and am very happy with them.

Could probably use these for 60C/CS too but not sure which one would work though most/many probably would.

I cannot recommend Strong Engineering. I've ordered a pack, that should suite to Garmin 60C, but it really didn't, I have to cut it, and after pasting on the display it was not readable (I've tried several times). Not worth the money....

This is somewhat of an older thread, but has anybody found a relatively cheap and effective screen protector that works well on the 60C/CS?

I have a backpack trip coming up, and without a dedicated case yet, I want some form of protection from scratches on the trail.

you need these! a bit pricey but well worth it. I got the regular pack and am very happy with them.

Could probably use these for 60C/CS too but not sure which one would work though most/many probably would.

I just receive the Do It Yourself kit and these screen protectors are GREAT! Clear and reusable. Definitely worth it! There was enough material put them on my MeriPlat, SporTrack Color and 60CS.

Thank you mrkablooey!!

Troy

I just receive the Do It Yourself kit and these screen protectors are GREAT! Clear and reusable. Definitely worth it! There was enough material put them on my MeriPlat, SporTrack Color and 60CS.

Thank you mrkablooey!!

Troy

No problem. I'm going to try one on my CS tmrw probably.

Glad they worked out for you. :rolleyes:

I like the strong engineering ones. It must be preference. I use the strong engineering ones on my watches too, just about everything. They go on smooth and its clear. No distortions if you put it on right (hair dryer to heat it up, let it "melt" down on the screen)

If it only takes you 2 minutes to put a screen protector on, that's what your doing wrong. It took me abut 20 minutes to apply the screen protector on my 60cs, but you can't even tell it's there.

I used a belkin PDA screen protector. Cut it out using a template from my scanned 60cs (scanner + printed). Applied VERY slowly using heat to soften it up. It just melts on.

I cannot recommend Strong Engineering. I've ordered a pack, that should suite to Garmin 60C, but it really didn't, I have to cut it, and after pasting on the display it was not readable (I've tried several times). Not worth the money....

I had the exact same experience. I couldn't imagine people actually using them.

:)

After reading FlashMaster's post, maybe I'll give them another try.

:)

Edited by ahimsa

The screen protector itself is clear. Look through one.

It's the tiny tiny air bubbles that cause the distortion, like auto tint. You don't see them applying auto tint in 5 minutes right? Its a slow meticulous process. Lots of light helps too with CLEAN hands. Use a squegee like a credit card. Press down hard, fraction of an inch at a time.

Remember, if you lay it down and there are air bubbles, it will stay and cause distortions. Don't just rub it with your fingers.

If you need a template for your 60cs, I have on MS Word scanned in on my scanner. I can e-mail it to anyone who wants it. On the backside of a screen protector, just tape this template down and cut. AGAIN, take your time and slow down. :)

This is with Strong Engineering 60cs screen protector applied on my carabiner watch. What distortion are you guys talking about? This is from 2 inches away. From 6" or so no one has been able to tell I have a screen protector on this watch. This is the way it looks on my 60cs too (too lazy to go out to my car to get it for a picture).

watch.jpg

Edited by FlashMaster

Flashmaster:

Your watch looks amazing and I would love to see a picture of your 60CS. Looks like you've mastered this process.

Could you give us more detailed information about how you put on the screenprotector (you say it is a 20 min process). You mention heating it with a hairdryer and letting it "melt" on. Do you just "warm" the protector or get it so hot that you can't touch it? Can you maybe estimate the temperature you use.

Also, any secrets on smoothing the protector.

Thanks.

Strong replied to my complaint and request to reteurn them with this:

I am sorry you are not satisfied with our product. I have issued you a full

refund credited to your MasterCard this morning. Please discard the screen

protectors, give them to a friend, or use them on something else. You may

receive a replacement package in the mail that fit the Garmin 60c exactly,

if you do not care for these let me know. I appreciate your honesty and am

glad you notified us of your dissatisfaction.

Regards,

Brad Strong

Strong Engineering Inc.

I can't complain anymore! He sure knows how to care for customers!

FYI,

I've been using screen protectors for 4-5 years on my PDA's. I've stuck with ONE brand called Fellowes WriteRight. I got them originally for my iPAQ, but have since been cutting them down to size for my Dell Axim and now my 60CS. They work GREAT!

I've heard rumors that Fellows WriteRight may have changed their materials used in making the screen protectors. The ones I have (older ones) are quite clear. I'll need to buy some new ones soon, so I'll find out if they have changed at all (unless someone to tell me?)

Here's what I've learnt over the years.

Make sure the surface is absolutely clean of dust and finger prints. Anything left on will cause air gaps. Use the squeegee carefully. Apply starting at one end squarely and continue downwards unrolling the protector and right behind it with the squeegee.

Most important: Don't worry about small air bubbles. You're not going to be able to move them off the protector (the material is just too thick for this). However, with the screen protectors I've been using, they seem to be semi-permiable and slowly releases the trapped air out from underneath the material. You'll start to see some positive changes in less than 24 hours. For everything to disappear, it's going to take a few weeks (yes, I said WEEKS) but it does happen.

My Axim screen is 100% free of air bubbles (but it wasn’t when I first applied it). My 60CS is on its way (it's only been on for about 2 days now).

I get at least 3-5 months use out of my screen protectors, but you should be able to go much much longer on the 60CS as your not using a stylus.

I've seen other screen protectors that are quite cloudy, I'd be staying away from them.

I also ordered the screen protectors from Strong Engineering, I don't recommend them either. They were a bit to big, so I had to trim them. But after getting them on, the screen looks terrible. Heck, I could see it better if it was scratched up than with the screen protector on it. I'll do my best not to scratch it I guess.

In defense of Strong Engineering, I received a letter today with a replacement order of screen protectors that fit PERFECTLY, and at no cost to me.

I've also found that after one application attempt for practice, I now get no bubbles and a perfectly clear screen. I highly recommend the Strong protectors, regardless of the bad press in this thread.

IMHO, any screen protector will provide poor results if it is not applied correctly.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. About to pick up a new 60CS in 2 days.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for those of you who have scratches on your GPS screens.

Do yourself a favor and buy a can of Brasso brass and metal polish. Costs about $4 at Target. Use a cotton ball to apply a thin layer on the scratched part of the screen and rub with a soft cotton cloth for a few minutes. Then buff with a clean cotton cloth.

Walla, scratches are gone. Brasso works very well with almost any transparent plastic (i.e., watch crystals, calculator screens, uncoated plastic eyeglass lenses, etc,) but do NOT use it on touch-sensitive screens like the ones on PDAs. I've used Brasso on the displays of my Yaesu handheld ham radios with excellent results as well.

Hope this helps.

Strong replied to my complaint and request to reteurn them with this:

I am sorry you are not satisfied with our product.  I have issued you a full

refund credited to your MasterCard this morning.  Please discard the screen

protectors, give them to a friend, or use them on something else.  You may

receive a replacement package  in the mail that fit the Garmin 60c exactly,

if you do not care for these let me know.  I appreciate your honesty and am

glad you notified us of your dissatisfaction.

Regards,

Brad Strong

Strong Engineering Inc.

I can't complain anymore! He sure knows how to care for customers!

I didn't complain but I got a set of replacements in the mail today. No explanation, just a new set. These new ones do fit the 60CS perfectly and I got it on there real good with no bubbles.

I would agree with the brasso idea, I've always used mother's wheel polish which is similar with good results. I actually received a set of new covers today in the mail. They came with a letter of apology sating they only had tentative measurements when they went to market. It went on to say they finally got a 60c/cs and sent me out a whole new set of custom fit covers made to the real measurements. Not many companies will send out new stuff after having no complaint, I never said a word to them. They also said if I wasn't 100% satisfied I could get my money back no questions asked. :D I retract my previous statement and wholeheartedly recommend the "new" screen savers. As for air bubbles, you just have to follow their directions to the letter.

It's been interesting reviewing the Strong Engineering experiences here. When Strong was first recommended here (something close to two years I would guess) similar experiences transpired. Several people--with different makes and models--reported that their first order didn't quite fit right. Once Strong was informed, they sent out new, correct fitting protectors to everyone who had ordered that particular set, even if they hadn't complained. It looks to me like they make their best guess what size the overlay should be for a new model based on some specification, but it often requires some fine-tuning with reality.

Many of us were impressed mightily by that level of service, and it seemed that nearly everyone was very pleased with the end product. I just replaced my first cover on my Meridian after about a year's use (it was starting to look rather ratty and I should have replaced it a few months ago...but I'm kind of a cheapskate). I can only tell the new cover is on there because I can see the peel-off tab. So I'd encourage those who expressed disappointment to give 'em another try...and let Strong know if they don't fit; they really aim to please, but they can't make it right if they don't know there's a problem.

xciton's advice for application is excellent.

I wonder if Strong sent me a replacement set or if I already got the "new" set. I haven't even tried putting on the ones they sent (arrived about 10 days ago) after reading the experiences here. I've been using the Palm V protectors I bought from Radio Shack and cut to size. Since that works great, I didn't want to screw up a good thing.

But maybe I'll try the Strong ones. If they don't work, it sounds like I just have to contact them and get a replacement set that works.

If all else fails, I'll just cut another one of my Palm V protectors. For those who have PDA screen protectors already laying around that are bigger than the 60CS, just put one on the screen, trace the edge of the screen directly onto the protector with a Sharpie pen, then pull it off, stick it on a new one, and cut. If you need to make a touch up trim once the screen is on, I find it easiest to use one of those little nail scissors to do the cutting.

gps.jpg

This is my GPS with the screen half covered by a Strong cover.

I do not like the textured surface and the reduced brightness. I now have about 45 of these covers that I don't like, If anyone wants from 1 to 6 to try just ask......and send your address. If you know of glossy and clear covers please let me know.

Thanks

Rick

I wonder if Strong sent me a replacement set or if I already got the "new" set. I haven't even tried putting on the ones they sent (arrived about 10 days ago) after reading the experiences here. I've been using the Palm V protectors I bought from Radio Shack and cut to size. Since that works great, I didn't want to screw up a good thing.

But maybe I'll try the Strong ones. If they don't work, it sounds like I just have to contact them and get a replacement set that works.

If all else fails, I'll just cut another one of my Palm V protectors. For those who have PDA screen protectors already laying around that are bigger than the 60CS, just put one on the screen, trace the edge of the screen directly onto the protector with a Sharpie pen, then pull it off, stick it on a new one, and cut. If you need to make a touch up trim once the screen is on, I find it easiest to use one of those little nail scissors to do the cutting.

The first set I got didn't have the "waves" at the bottom for the buttons. The set I got yesterday do and they fit perfectly...

Strong Eng just sent me a new set of screen protectors. Thought this was cool of them, since I never complained about the first (old stile) set.

This is the method I learned when trying to put stickers on RC airplane’s plastic covering. I just tried it out with the Strong Engineering screen protectors and it worked great.

First spray the screen down with a light mist of water (I used 409 window cleaner). Peal the backing off the screen protector then place it on the screen. You should be able to slide the screen protector around to get it positioned just right. After it is where you want it, squeegee the water out from under the screen protector with a credit card. You might also have to rub the edges with a towel to get all the water out. Let it dry for an hour or so. I did mine in 2-3 minutes.. worked great. No trapped air at all, and the protector is sticking to the screen just fine.

Got replacemnts, too, from Strong Engineering, w/o asking. Impressive. Old ones were fine, even though I had to cut them down. I've not tried the new ones yet. I feel much more secure with a screen protector on it. I'm not going to change brands. These work just fine.

Have you ever tried the "wet way"? I did, and it is great!

I have the screen protectors from Strong - I have cut them to fit onto the 60C, then put in for a while in warm water and then stick on the screen - ultimate results! No dust, no bubles, keeps still great.