Best Prices

$420!!! :rolleyes:

Hard to believe; for that kind of money, the darn thing should go out and find the cache all by itself; trade a few items, come home and log the find completely without human help or intervention!

Here's my question: Is it really worth it?

Not trying to be curt, but ....

1) If you CAN afford it and VALUE the hobby and features, then yes, I've found my 76s to be worth it, sold it to my brother and really look forward to the improvement of the 76CS at about $30 higher than the 60CS.

2) If you CANNOT afford the 60/76CS series OR do not VALUE autorouting, large memory capacity for maps, electronic compass, etc., then NO. It is not worth it.

As with everything, YMMV.... just my ¢2 worth :)

To answer the original poster's question (attempt to not hi-jack this thread)... I've found the prices, service and knowledge available from TVNav and TheGPSstore to be excellent, have bought from both and as long as their prices stay at or near the lowest, I will continue to do so.... good service and knowledge needs to be supported :bad:

Edited by Us 5 Camp

I am now waiting for my 60cs that I ordered online from www.getfeetwet.com. For a few days more it is possible to take advantage of the $20 "preorder discount" and therefor get the unit for $395. Their 2 year warranty is also a nice touch.

If you saved a buck from this tip, please feel free to mention my email address in the "Special Instructions" box during the "checkout ;-) Thanks.

(I don't work there or know any who does, I just like their service)

Regards

kjellsve33@hotmail.com

$420!!! :bad:

Hard to believe; for that kind of money, the darn thing should go out and find the cache all by itself; trade a few items, come home and log the find completely without human help or intervention!

It obviously isn't worth it to you!!! :rolleyes: But I guess after having one in my hand now for two days it sure is worth it to me. I use mine for more than just caching.

murph

$420!!! 

The truth is that geocaching is a game, and for most people their GPS is a toy. If you can afford a more expensive toy, go for it. If it's out of your price range, a $100 yellow eTrex will Geocache just as well.

In the overall scope of things, at $420 a GPS is one of the least expensive 'toys' you can buy. It's at the high end of push lawnmower prices. It's a month's heating bill. It's a single payment on a cheap suv. It's a fraction the price of a motorcycle or convertable. It's one-eigth of a new high-end computer. It's a third of a decent bicycle. and on and on. Heck, I bet it's cheaper than outfitting a kid for team sports!

What you need to do is think of a reason to use a GPS at work. Then it becomes a tax writeoff and you may as well buy the most expensive one with all the accessories you can carry.

Best Wishes,

Bob

Oops, I never thought that I would ruffle the feathers of the faithful... :rolleyes:

(Dang, I hate how my 'quote' thingy doesn't work here at home...)

""" Us 5 Camp Posted on Mar 10 2004, 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Team Flashncache @ Mar 10 2004, 12:04 PM)

$420!!!

Here's my question: Is it really worth it? - (Team Flashncache quote.)

Not trying to be curt, but ....

1) If you CAN afford it and VALUE the hobby and features...(Us 5 Camp?)"""

Ouch!!!

Truthfully; YES, I 'could' afford it, and:

I D@MN SURE VALUE THE HOBBY!

Please don't presume about the financial wherewithall of your fellow cachers; my friend, I never said that I COULDN'T afford a 60cs, I just choose not to drop the dollars...

Furthermore, don't presume that the value of the hobby is greater to you simply because you spent more money.

'Nuff said?

PS - Yeah, yeah: I took the comments out of context...

BTW Bob - I have have a yellow Etrex!!! LOL

Edited by Team Flashncache

I just ordered a GPSMAP-60CS bundled with the Auto Nav Kit from www.getfeetwet.com for $531. This bundles goes for $551 and includes the MapSource City Select mapping software, the 12V car adapter, the auto mounting bracket and the Non-Skid Portable Friction Mount . If you act before 3/16/04 you can use the word "PREORDER" in the "Enter Discount Code" box on the shopping cart and get $20 off your order.

Item is here:

http://www.getfeetwet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=S10-00322-31

Details of PREORDER $20 discount are here:

http://www.getfeetwet.com/M10-00322-20.asp

Good luck!

PS - Yeah, yeah: I took the comments out of context...

'Nuff said.... Amazing neither of your two posts address the original poster's question on best prices for the new Garmin 60 series gps....

--

And to that end, I would also recommend GPSCity.com for their prices, excellent website and service. :D

Edited by Us 5 Camp

I agree with above comments about GPSCity. I have purchased several units from them over the years. They are not the cheapest out there (yet they are still very competitive) but they have excellent customer service and technical support (Jeff is always right on top of their forums). Right now they have free shipping on orders over $400.

They also process orders very quickly. I ordered my 60C online at 1130 on a Tuesday and had it in my hand at 1030 on Wednesday (using Fedex 2 day...kudos to them as well)

If any of you live near a West Marine Products store, they will match any price you find, locally or on the Internet.

I just bought a 60CS for $408 and the City Select 5 CD for $107 from West Marine. They were happy to pricematch the prices I got from onlinemarine.com, who is also an authorized Garmin dealer.

eaglenj1 - I went ahead and did buy the 60CS from Gulf Coast Marine Supplies, even though I suppose I could have taken their price to West Marine. Those smaller companies work a lot harder for their money and taking their prices to WM doesn't seem very ethical.