How Do You Like Your New 60cs?

Here are my random observations from a very new GPS user. I bought my wife a 2610 for the car, our first GPSR, and liked it so much I had to have something for myself. I am an outdoor photographer and hike all the time, so I wanted one that I could use hiking. I have never been geocaching, but I am looking forward to trying it.

Since I'm so new to this, take my comments with a grain of salt. I may get excited about things that seem obvious, or critical of things that seem immaterial. :rolleyes:

I got my 60CS yesterday along with 24K Topo East, the dash mount and cigarette lighter adapter. I loaded CN v5.0 (left over from the 2610), and 24K Topo East (for the areas I hike in Shenandoah VA and Harpers Ferry WV).

- I loaded 54.7MB of maps to the unit, about 35MB from CN, the rest from 24K Topo East. "Indexing" and whatever that occurs on the computer before uploading to the GPS took around 15 minutes. Actual uploading time to GPSR was around 5 minutes.

- Unit is small and light, almost exactly the size of a "non-flip" cell phone. Rubberized portions are softer than I expected. It feels nice in the hand.

- Screen is easier to read than I expected based on prior posts. I found it easy to read indoors.

- Backlight is easy to adjust (punch the on/off button to cycle through 0%, 50%, 100%).

- Screen clearly is going to be easy to scratch. Where is a good place to get screen protectors again?

- I can't get the dadgum car mount to stick to my dash. First I tried the removable mount. It didn't stick at all. Then I tried the permanent mount. It seemed to stick, and I let it sit overnight. This morning, I put the GPSR in the mount, and after 10 seconds or so, it came crashing down onto my handbrake. Clearly, even the stupid permanent disk doesn't work on my car (my dash is flat and clean, I have no idea why it isn't sticky enough). Any recommendations?

- Menu system is more fiddly than the 2610 with lots more options, but that appeals to the geek in me.

- Satellite reception is better than the 2610. When the 2610 was picking up four satellites, the 60CS was picking up seven.

- Beep prompts for street routing work surprisingly well. There is no option to choose a different beep for left turn and right turn.

- I miss the voice prompts, touch screen, and remote of the 2610, but I knew I would.

- Sunrise / sunset / moonrise / moonset and moon phase is nice to have, as a photographer.

- Electronic compass is better than I expected. For some reason, I was expecting it was just used on the separate "compass page," but it's integrated into the whole system nicely -- for example, if you are on the map page and turn around, the map rotates around to stay oriented to the way you're looking. I realize this is obvious, but I just hadn't thought about it.

- The ability to average waypoints is a great idea.

- Things I miss from the 2610 during routing (2610 has these things, 60CS does not): (1) transparent tab (text) overlays -- where the map shows through the text box; (2) a tab that shows the address of the current street and the names of cross streets before you approach them; (3) different tabs when you are routing versus when you are just driving; (4) a big "next turn" tab -- the text box of the 60CS is not big enough to put very much text, so often the name of the road for next turn is truncated. At least once last night this resulted in confusion, where it told me only the first couple of letters of the street name for the next turn (this may be because CN is made for the larger text box of the 2610, and perhaps CS has different text prompts);

- In areas where I had both CN and 24K Topo map data, it should be easier to turn off the CN map to let the Topo map show through. To do so requires that I scroll through a zillion CN map names and guess which one might be the right map, based on the title. There should be a way to show only the map names for the area where the cursor is, not all the maps loaded into the unit. That would make it much easier to switch from one map to another in a particular area.

- Too early to tell, but battery life seems like it will be very good. While I've never used a handheld GPSR before, I'm familiar with battery life in digital cameras, PDAs, handheld games, etc., and I've been playing with the 60CS a lot over the last 8 or 9 hours or so without a dent in the battery meter.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head -- I've really only tried street routing. I look forward to taking the 60CS on a hike this weekend and trying the tracking functions. If anyone can help with the auto mount problem and screen protector, I'd appreciate it.

- In areas where I had both CN and 24K Topo map data, it should be easier to turn off the CN map to let the Topo map show through. To do so requires that I scroll through a zillion CN map names and guess which one might be the right map, based on the title. There should be a way to show only the map names for the area where the cursor is, not all the maps loaded into the unit. That would make it much easier to switch from one map to another in a particular area.

When you get to that screen, press the menu button. You'll see several options plus all of the maps sorted by title (Topo, City Select, MetroGuide, etc.).

Personally, I think this screen should come up first, and you should have to go through all of the rig-a-ma-roll to get to the individual map segments.

When you get to that screen, press the menu button. You'll see several options plus all of the maps sorted by title (Topo, City Select, MetroGuide, etc.).

I think I'm doing it right -- what I'm saying is that instead of that list containing all of the maps on the GPSR, I'd like it to contain only the particular maps for the area where I am (or where the cursor is). I have 40 or 50 maps loaded into the unit, so I have to scroll way down and try to find the one that I need to "uncheck," and it isn't always so easy to tell which one that is based on the name. Just a convenience thing. :rolleyes:

Got mine yesterday morning and did a lot of playing with it last night. I got auto-routing figured out and I think I am really going to love it over my Vista. But I do have a lot of learning to do with it and I do have to get a cable so I can use ExpertGPS with it. Have lots of stuff to transfer to it.

I did put a bunch of maps on it from City Select and now I have to figure out how to take them off of my GPS. Will do that when I get back from my trip.

murph

Edited by thcri
When you get to that screen, press the menu button.  You'll see several options plus all of the maps sorted by title (Topo, City Select, MetroGuide, etc.).

I think I'm doing it right -- what I'm saying is that instead of that list containing all of the maps on the GPSR, I'd like it to contain only the particular maps for the area where I am (or where the cursor is). I have 40 or 50 maps loaded into the unit, so I have to scroll way down and try to find the one that I need to "uncheck," and it isn't always so easy to tell which one that is based on the name. Just a convenience thing. :rolleyes:

No you don't understand what he was trying to say. Press MENU on the map setup - info tab and you will see what he means. It makes it much easier to turn entire map sets on or off. The scrollable list is useless.

(2) a tab that shows the address of the current street and the names of cross streets before you approach them;

Map page->Menu->Guidance Text...->Always Show

Thanks, guys! Of course, I brought the thing to work with me, so I just tried five_user (and Neo_Geo's) suggestion. Works beautifully. I can see I have much to learn, as I didn't even realize I could push "menu" there again.

Also, five_user, I appreciate the tip for the cross-streets. Very helpful.

Does anyone have a solution for getting the adhesive disk to stick? Anyone else had that problem?

I'll reply to my own question :rolleyes: So far i'm really impressed with the 60CS. It fits great in your hand. The buttons are easy to get too. It really redraws the maps fast. I only got an hour to mess with it at lunch, so I'll find out alot more about it tonight. I do agree that the screen looks like it could get scratched very easy.

- I can't get the dadgum car mount to stick to my dash. First I tried the removable mount. It didn't stick at all. Then I tried the permanent mount. It seemed to stick, and I let it sit overnight. This morning, I put the GPSR in the mount, and after 10 seconds or so, it came crashing down onto my handbrake. Clearly, even the stupid permanent disk doesn't work on my car (my dash is flat and clean, I have no idea why it isn't sticky enough). Any recommendations?

I know it's extra $$$, but I have been very happy with the garmin bean-bag type mount. Unless your on some pretty rough backroads, it just sits there nicely. Part # 010-10306-00.

Mine arrive last night, but I have not had a lot of time to play with it. It looks like it will be just what I wanted after we iron out a few wrinkles.

Enjoy

Brian

Does anyone have a solution for getting the adhesive disk to stick? Anyone else had that problem?

If you have ever used ArmorAll or the like, nothing will stick to your dash, try cleaning the mount area a couple of times with isopropyl alcohol, and let it dry good before sticking.

If you have ever used ArmorAll or the like, nothing will stick to your dash, try cleaning the mount area a couple of times with isopropyl alcohol, and let it dry good before sticking.

That must be the problem. I've definitely used Armor-All in the past. In any case, I swung by a local store on the way home that had the beanbag mount in stock. Works great! Good thing I already had the rest of the car mount, which slides into the beanbag mount just like the "stick-on" disk.

As an aside, on the top level of the parking lot structure where the store was, the 60CS was picking up 11 satellites, and margin of error was reported at +/- 8 feet. That's more accurate than I've seen from our 2610. The antenna of the 60CS seems quite good. :unsure:

On a less happy note, my 60CS has "crashed" at least four times already. Turning it off and on corrects the problem and I've been unable to duplicate the errors. It happened once when routing, it stayed in the "finding the route" mode, another time when clicking to "map setup," another time when in the map setup menu, another time when clicking on a waypoint... but after turning off and on, I could do exactly what I was trying to do the previous time. So it seems the software is still a little buggy.

Despite the occasional crash, I'm very pleased with the 60CS, and now I'm happy with the beanbag mount, too. :lol:

4x- I have also had my 60C crash a few times while following a route on the road. I have not tried it since the new firmware install so I hope this helps.

My 60CS has also "crashed" once while following a road. It just stopped. I changed to a different page and then back to the map page and then it worked.

Another quick observation... My 60CS seems just slightly better than my V as far as picking up the sats. I've done one route and it didn't crash. The best accuracy i have gotten with it is 16ft out in the open, which is no better than the V. I'm waiting to see how the 60CS does in heavy tree cover.

I'm probably too late on this...

But sparying the dash (only on the part where you want it to stick) with a degreaser and wiping it clean right away will make it stick. I had some tweeters for my car that didn't want to stick (I dont use armor all, I guess vinyl releases its own oil in the sun).

Just a little tip, don't use armor all. It looks nice when you put it on, but after several years it will crack your dash.

Stilkl waiting for my 60cs.....gpscity.ca keeps pushing the dadgum date back.

First it was 12-march, then 15, now 16th of march. What next, April?

:unsure:

Well, I received the 60CS last night, and love the unit so far.

However, I experienced a strange glitch in the software that perhaps others have experienced as well. Both times it seemed related to the Altimeter page.

The first incidence occured when I was playing around on the alitmeter screen, and pushed the rocker switch to the left and right. Consistently the unit display would fade and simply shutoff.

The other bug occured (or at least when I first noticed it) after I downloaded some Mapsource Topo info on the unit. Previously I was able to use the page button to scroll through the various pages, but this time the crash occured consistently as I reached the Altimeter page. After several frustrating occurences, I decided to simply re-calibrate the Altimeter, and all seemed fine again.

Any others notice problems?

Ditto the others on not using ArmorAll. If you want something to really stick wipe the area with denatured alcohol, Isoprople has an oil residue. Go to your local RC (radio controlled) hobby shop and get a roll of SERVO TAPE, Bolinks is the best, It will sick real good to many surfaces. To get it back off use some dental floss as a string saw under the item and cutting through the servo tape.

Wished I had the bucks to step up to the CS. :unsure:

Thumper :lol::lol::lol: