It's Springtime- Watch Out For Turkey Hunters

Reading another thread about deer stands and such got me to thinking. Deer are not in season so we don't need to think about deer hunters for awhile. But turkey season is getting close. Turkey hunters don't have to wear orange in some states and they camo up pretty good. You may not see them until you're practically on top of them. Anytime hunters may be in the field, it is a good idea to wear orange so they can see you.

Turkey hunters don't have to wear orange in some states and they camo up pretty good. You may not see them until you're practically on top of them. Anytime hunters may be in the field, it is a good idea to wear orange so they can see you.

If they are good hunters, you'll walk right past them without seeing them.

I had an encounter with a pair of hikers when I was in a tree-stand a few years ago. They chose a stump about 20 feet up the trail from my stand to stop for lunch. I sat quietly and watched them for about 10 minutes when one of them notices my rope hanging from the tree. He walks over to take a look as his gaze climbs up until he is practically looking right at me. I smiled and said "Howdy". He jumped out of his skin and screamed like a teenage girl.

I'll try to dig up a picture of me in my turkey hunting camo against the background so you can see how well turkey hunters have to blend in.

Turkeys have very good eyesight and won't approach blaze orange (or any other out of place color), that's why we have to camo up.

Turkey hunting is resposible for my involvment in geocaching. I bought a GPSr for navigating in unfamiliar turkey hunting ground when I moved to Washington.

Anytime hunters may be in the field, it is a good idea to wear orange so they can see you.

I don't know that wearing orange during Turkey Season is a good idea. Turkey hunters tend to look for the head of the turkey - which is red... I know red isn't orange but stranger things have happened.

If you're in an area where you know hunting is allowed - just be careful and make a bit of noise as you travel through the area.

If it concerns you that much - don't cache there until turkey season is over - usually last a month to a month and a half. (Hasn't started here yet - another week or two).

southdeltan

In Pennsylvania, our spring turkey starts May 1st and goes until the 29th. There is, however, a junior hunter day which is the Saturday before the regular season (April 24th). Keep in mind, though, that you can cache without worry during the afternoons as turkey hunters are to stop hunting at noon and be out of the woods by 1:00 pm.

Reading another thread about deer stands and such got me to thinking. Deer are not in season so we don't need to think about deer hunters for awhile.  But turkey season is getting close. Turkey hunters don't have to wear orange in some states and they camo up pretty good. You may not see them until you're practically on top of them. Anytime hunters may be in the field, it is a good idea to wear orange so they can see you.

As far as I know, PA is the ONLY state that requires hunters to wear orange during spring turkey season.

I don't know that wearing orange during Turkey Season is a good idea. Turkey hunters tend to look for the head of the turkey - which is red... I know red isn't orange but stranger things have happened.

Blaze orange (and lots of it) is still your best bet, even the (safe) turkey hunters wear it when they arent actually hunting. Cheap orange vests can be had for a dollar or two at most sporting goods stores. I always carry one and they also make pretty decent trade items.

Edited by Mopar
We'll  be watching out for geocachers, too!

In Washington state, the season is April 15 - May 15.

If you are geocaching in hunting areas, avoid red, white, and blue clothing.

Why are blue and white bad colors to wear? It was mentioned that red is the same color as a turkeys head, but what about blue and white? Is it there plumage colors?

I think of turkeys as being mainly brown, but I guess that's because I don't really know how to spot them. This is what I normaly think of:

a02turky.jpg

Is this why red white and blue are bad?

turkey02.jpg

Edited by geckoee
Why are blue and white bad colors to wear? It was mentioned that red is the same color as a turkeys head, but what about blue and white? Is it there plumage colors?

Gobblers that are trying to breed have heads that turn all different sorts of colors.

I still remember being stunned by how white the head of the first gobbler I ever called in was when it was trying to get the attention of my decoy. I've seen the red and blue standing out as much on other birds.

The red, white, or blue color is also where we aim our shotguns. Now, I would never shoot at color that I couldn't confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt was a gobbler, but unfortunatly, like everything else, there are irresposile hunters.

I think the advice above about making noise is probably the best, but it wouldn't hurt to avoid those colors.

Also, when making noise, do not gobble.

Pa regs say you have to wear orange when moving into or out of the woods. once there you can take off the orange. this doesn't bother me in the least we have to do the same thing during archery when we get an overlap with small game and early muzzleloader season.

Just to add my two cents here:

Bright orange is the safest color, even turkey hunting gear has orange incorporated into it for safety. Know the season's dates for your area, and consider staying out of the woods during the morning hours when most turkey hunting takes place. And if you hear turkey noises while you're there, don't approach. It's probably a hunter with a call. If you see a hunter or when in doubt, speak up to let them know you're there. Just waving could draw fire, some people get so keyed up that they'll shoot at movement before identifying it. :unsure:

Just to add my two cents here:

Bright orange is the safest color, even turkey hunting gear has orange incorporated into it for safety. Know the season's dates for your area, and consider staying out of the woods during the morning hours when most turkey hunting takes place. And if you hear turkey noises while you're there, don't approach. It's probably a hunter with a call. If you see a hunter or when in doubt, speak up to let them know you're there. Just waving could draw fire, some people get so keyed up that they'll shoot at movement before identifying it. :unsure:

my husband was shot at once while he was wearing all orange. he hid behind a log until the guy stopped shooting. then he went and wrapped the guys gun around a tree. some hunters can be so stupid. most of them are aware of what they are doing though. i live in the country and if i go out in my fields on my property i still wear orange during all hunting seasons.